Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 17, 2019 8:54 PM

Jun 2016
Get good with art/graphic design skills and put together a team of likeminded people to make one yourself. It can happen if people are determined enough to do it.
Sep 17, 2019 10:17 PM

Oct 2014
alshu said:
Bourmegar said:

Cel animation cannot make things like Violet Evergarden

Yes it can.
Also KyoAni could put more effort and make it indistinguishable from cel animation only with digital tools.

Bourmegar said:
or a Shinkai Movie

- Do we need more of those?
- You can trace photos with non-digital tools but such project would go beyond Shinkai Budget.

Cel animation is too expensive and time consuming. Except for some short art projects there is no practical reason to bring it back.

Well can Cell animation hold a candle against these digital tools?

Ppl just want Cells back because of style, which is a weird reason because such styles can be replicated in Digital animation. Just look at MegaloBox for a good example.
I found Megalobox to be one of the best looking shows of 2018.
Sep 17, 2019 10:30 PM

Mar 2015
Actually, we all know how good the characters design are in the past. But there's nothing "unique" about it, they all look the same. But to say today's characters designs are ugly is a stretch. You should only watch old shows then. I'd rather watch shows from 2000s til now, the story is much better and some look much better too.
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 17, 2019 10:42 PM

Jan 2018
BenRyan said:
mhkr said:
That image is just a 90s generic style to me and you're blaming new anime don't have unique-ness. Even MAL users are tired of this "old vs new" threads

Son go back watching sponge bob lol don't fall for the capitalist agenda.

Zehennagel said:
"
or become president of your country, attack japan.

We simply have to create conditions in which it's more profitable to do cel or #boycott.
So you plan to use capitalism to fight capitalism... just amazing LMFAOOO
Sep 18, 2019 12:07 AM

May 2018
Bourmegar said:
Well can Cell animation hold a candle against these digital tools?

There are different aspects of that.
- With cell animation you can achieve better stuff than one which digital tools are used for nowadays: like better than Violet Evergarden. I think you are not giving it enough credit.
- On the other hand with said digital tools you also can make way way better stuff than we see today.
They have great potential but are not used to their full extent.
For example in Violet Evergarden the animators could make the movements of the "camera" and the characters more natural (like in their other projects), not so robotic but...I guess KyoAni didn't had the time/money.

The "cell animation" people are actually nostalgic for the projects where artists had more time to refine and put a personal touch in their work...and of course there is some cherry picking going on.

Bourmegar said:
Ppl just want Cells back because of style, which is a weird reason because such styles can be replicated in Digital animation. Just look at MegaloBox for a good example.

- Yes it can.
- MegaloBox is not a good example tho.
It didn't looked right because the "replicating tricks" were cheap: just degrading the quality of some layers. It had the "old VHS copy" washed out effect.
There are more complex (and convincing) technics to make it look hand drawn.

Yes the OP has a really bizarre way to make his point - this is only a character design.
He could put an animated gif (from Robot Carnival or Manie-Manie: Meikyuu Monogatari for example) to demonstrate the animation.
Also I would pick Iria (MC in Iria: Zeiram) from the same period instead of Gally. (No sure why there are so many fans of Gunnm/Alita OVA.)
alshuSep 18, 2019 12:16 AM
Sep 18, 2019 12:22 AM
Jul 2018
LMAO never use MAL forms for discussions, It's full of trolls. Just reading few comments made me angry idk why you haven't snapped yet
Sep 18, 2019 5:40 AM

Jun 2015
Not gonna lie, people saying cel is ugly and boring triggers me more than anything else in this fuckin community
Sep 19, 2019 7:25 AM
Jun 2014
OP's image literally looks like the generic art we have today, just worse.
Sep 19, 2019 8:22 AM
Feb 2012
I like how he posts the most basic bitch of all the 90s as an example
Sep 20, 2019 8:32 PM

Nov 2018
Pay us artists more money lol
Art and animation is so much easier to create now. I hope we never go back. There are of course ways to stylize new animation to look like old cel animation.

🌟 current favorite song
💖 cute gift for u

you REALLY want to click my dragons...
Sep 21, 2019 1:54 AM

Dec 2012
We don't. I don't want it back since it would be replacing a superior product with an inferior one and the amount of anime produced per season would decrease due to the increased workload which would mean less variety. I'm sure the animators also don't want to go back to working 10 times harder for the same inadequate paycheck either since they're already overloaded as is.
KruszerSep 21, 2019 1:59 AM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Sep 21, 2019 2:27 AM
Jul 2018
When anime is not all about business, could we get cell animation back.
Sep 21, 2019 6:16 AM

Jun 2011
I actually kinda want anime to move forward. Away from drawing first and into 100% digital. A lot of extra effort is wasted hand drawing stuff when it could just be all done in computers.

You still see older methods of animation in student projects. ^^; So it is still around.

Just. why do it that way when it is so much more expensive and so much more effort?Computers are here to help. Not the enemy.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Sep 21, 2019 6:23 AM

Oct 2010
Iyya said:

In the meanwhile, you can check indie authors, they exist. Expecting a main industry in entertainment to not be about business is futile.
Sep 21, 2019 6:46 AM
May 2019
new animation looks way better in my opinion
Sep 21, 2019 6:58 AM
Jul 2018
jal90 said:
Iyya said:

In the meanwhile, you can check indie authors, they exist. Expecting a main industry in entertainment to not be about business is futile.

Yes. I actually am interested in indie animators than nowadays anime, so.

I am not expecting anime isn't all about business. OP asks and I answer his question. Simple as that.
Sep 21, 2019 7:58 AM

Nov 2018
Iyya said:

Anime Industry sucks this time
> this news is from today

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5 Animation Director Claims He Hasn't Been Paid
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-09-19/jojo-bizarre-adventure-part-5-animation-director-claims-he-hasnt-been-paid/.151323
Sep 21, 2019 8:26 AM

Aug 2018
like it or hate it, the industry moves forward and certain styles come and go

also saying how all modern animes look generic is just untrue, i would agree if you said there are more generic animes nowadays because there are simply more anime shows coming out, but it sure doesnt mean we get generic looking shows all the time, cause saying that probably means you havent done jack shit to see the good stuff.

I sometimes feel like people like older stuff they grew up watching purely for nostalgic reasons

it just seems like a classic rant of "modern anime looks worse than older anime" which at this point makes no sense cause literally any time period had bad and good looking stuff
yotiSep 21, 2019 8:29 AM
Sep 21, 2019 8:30 AM
Mar 2018
I dont think we should, old anime are known for their character designs so let them remain special, if cel animation was brought back I would probably not get that feel from old anime
Sep 21, 2019 8:32 AM

Nov 2017
Catalano said:
cel is too much of a hassle, it takes too long, the cel deteriorates, come on! we evolved, berserk 2016 proves it.

Berserk 2016 is the epitome of animation.
Sep 21, 2019 9:35 AM

Oct 2017
BenRyan said:
Iyya said:

Anime Industry sucks this time
> this news is from today

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5 Animation Director Claims He Hasn't Been Paid
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-09-19/jojo-bizarre-adventure-part-5-animation-director-claims-he-hasnt-been-paid/.151323

Yeah poor wages and abuses like this have always been this way. Things need to change and the Japanese government needs to step in.
Sep 23, 2019 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
Heimur said:

Oh look another thread complaining about how old anime is superior to modern one.

And then the modern anime fans are the ones who are "wrong" despite the fact that this kind of BS is usually started for old anime fans.

It's tiresome seeing this crap over and over when the ones who start them never give a chance to new anime on first place but somehow believe they have a higher moral ground.

Look, i posted a image cherry picking too, that count as an argument somehow right?

Btw i have Joe on my favs before you want to play the card i always see old anime fans playing when are called out.

this would be more appropriate for the thread.

We should appreciate M.Yuasa really
Cel shading is good too when combined with traditional animation, unfortunately not many animated features use it. Eg here

Sep 23, 2019 10:41 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
how about don't bring it back cuz it can be expensive and time-consuming?
i'm sure you can just replicate the cel-shading style with digital animation anyway
Sep 23, 2019 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
Fario-P said:
i'm sure you can just replicate the cel-shading style with digital animation anyway

Then why hasn't anyone replicated the style successfully?

Don't get me wrong, I do think bringing back cels is not practical unless it's for a personal passion project, but you'd think they'd have figured out how to make digital animation look and move exactly like cels by now. The attempts I've seen like Megalobox and the 2017 Mahoujin Guru Guru were not very convincing. I want to see it but it still hasn't happened.
removed-userSep 24, 2019 4:15 AM
Sep 24, 2019 4:08 AM

Oct 2014
petran79 said:
Heimur said:

Oh look another thread complaining about how old anime is superior to modern one.

And then the modern anime fans are the ones who are "wrong" despite the fact that this kind of BS is usually started for old anime fans.

It's tiresome seeing this crap over and over when the ones who start them never give a chance to new anime on first place but somehow believe they have a higher moral ground.

Look, i posted a image cherry picking too, that count as an argument somehow right?

Btw i have Joe on my favs before you want to play the card i always see old anime fans playing when are called out.

this would be more appropriate for the thread.

We should appreciate M.Yuasa really
Cel shading is good too when combined with traditional animation, unfortunately not many animated features use it. Eg here

Sorry but even the picture you posted is wrong.

It compares 80s/90s OVAS and Movies to regular TV shows.
OVAs have a bigger Budget And more time compared to a regular tv show.
It could have been a whole different story if it compared old OVAs and Movies to newer Movies and OVAs.
Old OVAs would then still be better because most of the new OVAs are just Bonus material whereas Old ones stand on their own like Gunbuster (a case where details only make Noriko sexier, I mean that shade under her chest and the stretches you see on her shirt makes her chest look bigger).

And yh we should appreciate MASTER Yuasa and other Visionaries Like Our lord Miyazaki.
But sadly, most cannot go all out thanks to the greed of others......
Sep 24, 2019 4:50 AM
Jul 2018
Bourmegar said:

Sorry but even the picture you posted is wrong.

It compares 80s/90s OVAS and Movies to regular TV shows.
OVAs have a bigger Budget And more time compared to a regular tv show.
It could have been a whole different story if it compared old OVAs and Movies to newer Movies and OVAs.
Old OVAs would then still be better because most of the new OVAs are just Bonus material whereas Old ones stand on their own like Gunbuster (a case where details only make Noriko sexier, I mean that shade under her chest and the stretches you see on her shirt makes her chest look bigger).

And yh we should appreciate MASTER Yuasa and other Visionaries Like Our lord Miyazaki.
But sadly, most cannot go all out thanks to the greed of others......

Yes, I dont see much difference in quality between newer ova and TV series tbh. It is almost extinct. Probably because majority of anime nowadays is released on TV too. Now only difference is between movies and TV series and only from certain studios. In the digital production and distribution era, process has been streamlined more or less
Sep 24, 2019 5:51 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
HeruruMeruru said:
Fario-P said:

Then why hasn't anyone replicated the style successfully?

Don't get me wrong, I do think bringing back cels is not practical unless it's for a personal passion project, but you'd think they'd have figured out how to make digital animation look and move exactly like cels by now. The attempts I've seen like Megalobox and the 2017 Mahoujin Guru Guru were not very convincing. I want to see it but it still hasn't happened.

idk tbh, that is a question for the ages
maybe the anime industry thinks that people don't like that kind of style anymore
Oct 1, 2019 1:53 PM
May 2018

to

-

to

-

to

Looks like a progress to me.
Oct 1, 2019 3:17 PM

Jan 2013
Psajdak said:

to

-

to

-

to

I'ma need sauce on those first two images. ;)
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 1, 2019 3:23 PM

Jan 2013
ShadowMonkey said:
Not gonna lie, people saying cel is ugly and boring triggers me more than anything else in this fuckin community
It's just new anime fans/casuals who say that tbh. To not truly appreciate cel animation otherwise there's something wrong wichu.
Oct 1, 2019 3:28 PM

Jan 2013
@Psajdak

Hey good job purposely picking obscure cel animation pics. Why don't you bring these up instead?

Oct 1, 2019 3:28 PM

Jun 2015
Psajdak said:

to

-

to

-

to

How in the heck is that progress mang
Oct 1, 2019 3:31 PM

Jan 2013
Oct 1, 2019 3:47 PM

May 2011
Listen, I love cel animation, I prefer retro styled animation and all but realistically, it's not feasible. It comes at the cost of extra material price, takes some physical storage space and is inflammable (a concern which has grown even more stronger with the fire destroying Kyoto Animation's headquarters). If you choose it over digital animation, the price of production of final workpiece will raise, the planning time will be constraining than if you do everything with a more practical computer and it will have an impact on the benefits you must generate to stay afloat. Maybe it can work if you take high risks, and market your studio as luxury blockbuster product maker, which are taken care of with utmost attention. Even so, I doubt there is a solid enough market to sustain a niche approach like this... We, vintage style aficionados, are a dying breed.

On the other hand, I wish there was a blend of the two, digital and cel. There was interesting attempts around it in the 2000s, but the potential wasn't pushed at the maximum. And CGIs are still crap when it comes to render Background Art. While it's debatable that retro chara-design is superior, Background Art and Art Direction as a whole absolutely was. It's sad to see ugly 3D models to render things as landscape, buildings or vehicles.
Other than that, I think CGIs are great to render visual effects like sparks, dust particles, cold metal texture...
Oct 1, 2019 4:04 PM
May 2018
Klad said:
@Psajdak

Hey good job purposely picking obscure cel animation pics. Why don't you bring these up instead?

Pictures that I linked are how average anime looked at the time - well, old school Hyakkimaru being an exception - that isn't screenshot.

What you linked are movie/OVA screenshots.

Also, it's not like I meant that old looks worse by that "progress" part, just that anime visually evolves in, for most part, good direction, and there is no need to go back to old techniques, when current technology can allow for such nice visuals.
Oct 1, 2019 4:09 PM

Jan 2013
Psajdak said:
Klad said:
@Psajdak

Pictures that I linked are how average anime looked at the time - well, old school Hyakkimaru being an exception - that isn't screenshot.

What you linked are movie/OVA screenshots.

Also, it's not like I meant that old looks worse by that "progress" part, just that anime visually evolves in, for most part, good direction, and there is no need to go back to old techniques, when current technology can allow for such nice visuals.
No, you purposely handpicked bad animated old anime. I'm not saying that every cel animation is instant great every time. But cel at its highest budget >>>.

Hell, why don't you link how bad average anime look these days? Go watch a couple of Black Clover or One Piece episodes and you'll see lol/

Also Ashita no Joe isn't a movie or OVA bro.
Oct 1, 2019 4:15 PM
May 2018
Klad said:
No, you purposely handpicked bad animated old anime.
Whatever, you are free to believe what you want.
Oct 1, 2019 4:35 PM

Jul 2017
to everyone who say modern anime character design is generic, i'm sorry but do i need glasses?

Oct 2, 2019 12:47 AM

May 2018
AlphaN00b said:
to everyone who say modern anime character design is generic, i'm sorry but do i need glasses?

Bad examples tho.

Kill la Kill - 2013 also Sushio is a veteran designer. He has older designs that look like that.
Redline - 2009 and was developed for 7 years
JoJo - the concept design is from 1986
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei - 2010 (the screencap could be from the movie but still same design)
Haikyuu - 2014, looks like shit and it's pretty generic. Kind of counterexample.
Kaiji - the concept design is from 1996

So you got One Punch Man (the redesign of the manga), Kakegurui (which looks like shit) and Prison School (ewww).

Not the I am against your statement, modern anime is pretty diverse as styles (the opposite of generic) but your examples are not showing that.
alshuOct 2, 2019 12:51 AM
Oct 5, 2019 7:44 AM
Sep 2019
Cel animation takes too long, costs too much, and adds a great deal of work to Japanese animators who're severely underpaid as it is. (Reference) The fact is: With the rise of digital animation and 3d animation, the animators' jobs have gotten easier.

Modern animation techniques have allowed them to more content, more often. And that's win-win for everyone; we get more shows to watch with fewer recycled scenes and they generate revenue faster.

I understand that there's a certain appeal to cel animation and old school art styles, but it simply not practical anymore. Perhaps, hopefully, an anime filmmaker might come along someday with a passion project that he wants to make entirely with cel animation. But until then, it ain't happening.
Ya boy is going to Con Alt Delete 2020! See you there!

Oct 5, 2019 8:59 PM
Jan 2009
Let's bring back the type of hand-drawn animation they used for silent cartoons!
Oct 5, 2019 9:36 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think it's feasible to bring back cel animation except as a personal passion project, but I do think by now there should be a way to make digital animation that looks indistinguishable from cels. You can have neural networks do inbetween frames but you can't give digital drawings the same texture as ink and paint?
Oct 5, 2019 10:35 PM
Jul 2018
Yep, I agree, newer digitally made Anime is not an "Archival/Artistic quality" "You pump You watch and dump.
Oct 5, 2019 10:41 PM
Aug 2018
new anime is so bad, not unique and trash, bla bla bla, yeah sure, go away you 90s boomer.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

wow so rude, atleast sign your name when you yeet my signature

heres a big picture smh

Oct 7, 2019 6:50 PM
Dec 2018
Anime production is a business, not a hobby. Cel-Animation is more expensive and time consuming than modern digital methods. No producer of anime will use a more expensive method to generate the same amount of revenue. The only way that anime producers would ever go back to cel-animation is if it would result in greater profits than digital-animation generates. In other words, the increase in revenues would have to be greater than the increase in costs to justify switching back to cels. This would only be possible if there were a dramatic spike in demand for cels. The question then becomes: how do you convince the consumers of anime to pay higher prices for anime?
Jan 14, 11:17 PM

Aug 2014
Reply to Joshua_QT
OP's image literally looks like the generic art we have today, just worse.
@Joshua_QT I logged in at 1:00 AM in the morning to tell you how right I wish you were because most of the modern anime characters I've seen don't have a nose anywhere near as defined as the nose in the OP's image. They usually have a dot or line for a nose.
Jan 15, 7:10 AM

Mar 2023
Bringing back cel animation is like bringing back silent movies. Things changes. Nothing we can do about it.
Jan 20, 9:40 AM

Nov 2023
"How do we bring cel animation back?"

It is a shame ofcourse. Old animes were really good at this aspect.
But it's so good, I've never known anybody like you
But it's so good, I've never dreamed of nobody like you
And I've heard of a love that comes once in a lifetime
And I'm pretty sure that you are that love of mine
Jan 20, 9:44 AM

Aug 2018
I dont really get the hype about cel animation. Sounds like hipster posturing to me. How the hell does it make a show better just because it was painted onto thin strips of plastic? Might as well bring back VHS tapes and those cars you crank up while we're at it.
Jan 20, 10:15 AM

Aug 2021
It's possible, but it doesn't seem very feasible.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 2 hours ago

23 by deg »»
56 seconds ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

35 by Serafos »»
10 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - 2 hours ago

9 by LNW_R92CP »»
10 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

89 by LordSozin »»
13 minutes ago

Poll: » do you consider hate on your favorites an attack on you personally?

deg - 5 hours ago

16 by jestyn »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.