Forum Settings
Forums

Gen Urobuchi Pens 'Obsolete' 3DCG Anime Series

New
Sep 24, 2019 10:08 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
An original 3DCG mecha anime series titled Obsolete was announced by Bandai Namco Arts on Wednesday. The company launched an official website, revealing the lead staff, a key visual (pictured), and a teaser promotional video.

Gen Urobuchi—known for writing titles such as Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica, Psycho-Pass, and Aldnoah.Zero—developed the anime's original plan and is in charge of the series composition. Hiroki Yamada (Kaze no Matasaburou (2016)) and Seiichi Shirato (Jormungand, Princess Principal researcher) are co-directing the series at CG animation studio Buemon.

Synopsis
In 2014, aliens revealed themselves to request trade with humanity. In exchange for limestone, they would provide a consciousness-controlled general-use robot known as an "Exoframe." Cheaper than an aircraft, tank, or firearm, and easy enough for anyone to operate, the "Exoframe" spreads change throughout the world in the blink of an eye... (Source: Official site)

Obsolete will debut as a YouTube Original title on the Bandai Namco Arts channel this December. The latest episodes will be available to premium users first before they're streamed free of charge for regular viewers.

Teaser

Official site: https://project-obsolete.com/
Official Twitter: @obsolete_anime

Source: Anime! Anime!

Obsolete on MAL
SnowSep 24, 2019 11:13 PM

Sep 25, 2019 12:20 AM
Jul 2014
Anyone remember when Urobuchi was working with some of the best and most respected studios in the industry such as Shaft, Ufotable, and Production IG?

Now he's stuck working for a goddamn youtube show for a studio that's done basically nothing prior and is directed by two dudes who have directed basically nothing.

Honestly tho... what in the world happened to your career? How have you stooped this low? This is honestly just sad, I feel sad for the guy.
Sep 25, 2019 12:24 AM

Jan 2009
im hype but sad that Urobutcher is not gonna be part of the Psycho-Pass 3 staff then
Sep 25, 2019 2:54 AM

Apr 2013
Obsolete like Urobuchi's carrer
Sep 25, 2019 6:03 AM

Jun 2014
This doesn't look bad, but it also looks like a bit of a Votoms ripoff.

Sep 25, 2019 7:09 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Maybe, maybe not. Depends how i feel when it's starting to come out.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 25, 2019 7:32 AM

Sep 2014
You could read that title without the quotation marks and it would still make sense, if not more...
Sep 25, 2019 7:33 AM

Feb 2019
It's CG, but I think it actually looks pretty decent. Looking forward to it~

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Sep 25, 2019 10:57 AM

Jan 2009
MagnitudeReviews said:
Anyone remember when Urobuchi was working with some of the best and most respected studios in the industry such as Shaft, Ufotable, and Production IG?

Now he's stuck working for a goddamn youtube show for a studio that's done basically nothing prior and is directed by two dudes who have directed basically nothing.

Honestly tho... what in the world happened to your career? How have you stooped this low? This is honestly just sad, I feel sad for the guy.

err his latest work Thunderbolt Fantasy is popular in japan and taiwan and its actually gonna get a 3rd season
Sep 25, 2019 11:11 AM

Jul 2013
MagnitudeReviews said:

He became predictable with all the "muhhh suffering/grim dark edgefest/I'll kill your favorite characters" writing.
Sep 25, 2019 11:13 AM

Jan 2009
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
MagnitudeReviews said:

He became predictable with all the "muhhh suffering/grim dark edgefest/I'll kill your favorite characters" writing.

err you have not seen his latest anime like Gargantia and Expelled from Paradise movie?
Sep 25, 2019 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
deg said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

err you have not seen his latest anime like Gargantia and Expelled from Paradise movie?

Gargantia did not take off so I pretty much forgot about it tbh and Expelled from Paradise was basically a bad "we live in a society" movie which is almost what you'd expect from his writing.
Sep 25, 2019 11:20 AM

Jan 2009
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
deg said:

Gargantia did not take off so I pretty much forgot about it tbh and Expelled from Paradise was basically a bad "we live in a society" movie which is almost what you'd expect from his writing.

both of those are highly popular in japan though
Gargantia sold like 10K average disc sales while Expelled from Paradise at one time god sold out
the none japanese fans just have different taste
Sep 25, 2019 11:23 AM

Jul 2013
deg said:
Tohsaka_Rukia said:

both of those are highly popular in japan though
Gargantia sold like 10K average disc sales while Expelled from Paradise at one time god sold out
the none japanese fans just have different taste

It's decent alright but it did not translate to longevity in the end and they're still pretty bad which is what I mean by his declining writing although Gargantia was indeed quite different from his usual. I give him that.
Sep 25, 2019 12:53 PM
Jul 2018
Reading the synopsis reminds me of Kado the right answer (and not to mention both are full cgi) so overall very ambitious original project that turn out to be very great or easy meh but seems Gen Urobuchi working on it so on the worst case still I think it will be interesting enough to be something worth watching.
Also its kinda weird to see they decide to take this story took place on 2014 instead of usual we see 20XX in norm scifi shows? :o
Sep 25, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2008
Great CG, it's miles ahead of most anime and action as well. The story may not be any good though.

Sep 25, 2019 10:20 PM

Oct 2010
Ryosuke Takahashi must be pleased with this. Shame its on such a restricted platform as Youtube, and the animation appears to be stop-motion, but you take what you can get. Also it should be said that the official website is pretty snazzy.
VyseLegendaireSep 25, 2019 10:24 PM
Sep 28, 2019 5:55 PM

Dec 2015
MagnitudeReviews said:

He can work with anything he wants. The man's got enough reputation to work at anywhere he wants. Maybe anime became too repetitive for him, and he wanted a break from it. Not everyone wants to stick with one place for their entire life.
Nov 24, 2019 9:13 PM

Feb 2014
Fuck 3DCG. There's enough of that in the west. I watch anime because it's the only medium left that does hand drawn animation. How about spending decent money on animators and dedicate more time and resources on one or two good anime at a time, instead of 10 trashy mass produced ones?

And those characters and mechs look like some weird stop-motion animation of GI Joe action figures.
Dec 1, 2019 7:26 AM

Aug 2014
Rather he worked on more thunderbolt fantasy.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Dec 2, 2019 11:43 AM
Oct 2018
VyseLegendaire said:
Ryosuke Takahashi must be pleased with this.

Ryosuke Takahashi is the planning producer of this anime series....
Dec 3, 2019 11:26 AM

Oct 2010
Yes I know now. At the time of announcement, this wasn't made available, at least no in English...
Dec 6, 2019 9:27 PM

Aug 2010
I wish he would do more traditional animation, no offense to those who love CGI.
Bum Bum Dum Dum

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

33 by Yubisoft »»
26 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
6 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
10 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.