Forum Settings
Forums

Worst (good) anime to show to non-anime fans?

New
Sep 22, 2019 12:43 AM

Oct 2017
Hiya MAL community!

I've probably seen this thread several dozen times across various sites: "what anime should I show someone who doesn't watch/like anime?" It's a great thread for discussion and it's definitely valuable to know what can be used as introductory shows for anime as a whole.

But here's what I want to know. Out of the anime that you consider at least good, which one would you never show to someone who wasn't an anime fan? What would be a terrible choice for trying to introduce someone to anime? I'm curious to see what you think!

Edit: Y'all are killing me. PLEASE READ CAREFULLY. I'm NOT asking for a good show for getting into anime. More along the lines of turning someone off from anime.
TurnchSep 24, 2019 12:41 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 22, 2019 12:56 AM
Jul 2019
Hmm, sao is the first that comes to mind, isekais in general are pretty lackluster.
Although psychological and complex anime like monster are good, I don't think it would intrigue first time anime watchers as much.
Another one is angel beats, also elfen lied, both are pretty popular but not good ones to start off with.
Sep 22, 2019 1:13 AM

Jul 2019
In My Opinion You Should Show Them a good story and anti-mainstream Anime like Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken (https://myanimelist.net/anime/37430/Tensei_shitara_Slime_Datta_Ken), and also don't show them a boring Anime story, I'm Sure If you Do it, They'll be Attracted In Anime.
Areen-KunSep 22, 2019 1:20 AM
Sep 22, 2019 1:14 AM

Jul 2015
Gintama.
It parodies a lot of anime, and makes Japanese (language) jokes you won't get unless you have some grasp of the culture there (which you get by watching a decent amount of anime)
Sep 22, 2019 1:15 AM

Jul 2015
Mmvrk said:
Hmm, sao is the first that comes to mind, isekais in general are pretty lackluster.
Although psychological and complex anime like monster are good, I don't think it would intrigue first time anime watchers as much.
Another one is angel beats, also elfen lied, both are pretty popular but not good ones to start off with.

Sword Art Online was my first anime and the reason I started looking into more anime.
Sep 22, 2019 1:17 AM
Jul 2018
Probably most anime that are heavy in otaku culture. For example, Haruhi Suzumiya is a great show. But I wouldn't consider it a gateway anime for a good reason because I know people will get really turned off by Haruhi's behaviour.
Another show I can think of is the Monogatari series which can be very confusing to newcomers.

And basically, any slice of life moe or psychological show will not get people interested.

Sep 22, 2019 1:28 AM

Jan 2017
Obligatory Monogatari series. It's my favourite show for a variety of reasons, and every one of those reasons is also a reason why I would never ask anyone to inflict it upon themselves.

I suppose, also, Fate/Zero. Because you really need to have, at a minimum, watched Unlimited Blade Works and the Heaven's Feel movies so you experience it properly, and ideally read the Fate/Stay Night VN as well. Fate/Zero is great, but it's not somewhere to start.
Sep 22, 2019 1:42 AM
Jul 2019
Prezzix said:
Mmvrk said:

Sword Art Online was my first anime and the reason I started looking into more anime.

yea I suppose I know a couple folks who started off with sao and are pretty big fans, but from my experience when my friends watched sao, most were pretty underwhelmed
Sep 22, 2019 1:49 AM

Apr 2017
Maurice_5 said:

I suppose, also, Fate/Zero. Because you really need to have, at a minimum, watched Unlimited Blade Works and the Heaven's Feel movies so you experience it properly, and ideally read the Fate/Stay Night VN as well. Fate/Zero is great, but it's not somewhere to start.

I would disagree with this. F/Z was one of my early shows (not the first though, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference) and I really loved it. Looking at it retrospectively I don't really think I lost much (if at all) in terms of experience without watching F/SN prior to it. It explains pretty much everything well enough and at least I didn't get its ending spoiled.

To the point I would also vouch for Monogatari, that's confusing enough for seasoned watchers. It's also very hit or miss show, so it wouldn't be a good first experience in general. Another one would be obviously Gintama.
Maybe JoJo too, although not having any preconceptions towards that show yet might be actually a benefit, since in my experience most people who don't pick it up don't do so because they have inaccurate preconceptions about it that they gathered by watching anime. But I'm not sure whether it's not too weird for someone who wasn't exposed to anime yet.
I suppose Fate/Prisma Illya or other loli anime might be a good idea not to show at first before they see anime is not just about that in case they don't like loli. Same might go for other taboo things like incest, etc.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Sep 22, 2019 1:50 AM

Mar 2015
Easy. Show them shows that have mass appeal

Log Horizon
Mirai Nikki
Death Note
Stein gate
Angel beats
And of course:
Kaiji
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 22, 2019 1:59 AM
Dec 2013
Cowboy Bebop and other episodic anime because it'll make them think that anime is mostly just episodic shows like most Western cartoons are, when it's actually the opposite. It'll just make them get the wrong idea.
wildhoodSep 22, 2019 5:31 AM
Sep 22, 2019 2:16 AM
Apr 2019
Show them Death Note, they will fall in love
or show them Boku no pico 🐸 you know how they will react
Sep 22, 2019 2:19 AM
Sep 2018
Ghost stories
Death Note
Tokyo ghoul (only S1)
Sep 22, 2019 2:28 AM
Jul 2019
NakolHira said:
Show them Death Note, they will fall in love
or show them Boku no pico 🐸 you know how they will react

boku no pico is an automatic banger OwO
Sep 22, 2019 2:48 AM
Jul 2018
wildhood said:
Cowboy Bebop and other episodic anime because it'll make people think that anime is just episodic shows like most Western cartoons are, when it's actually the opposite.

Really? I know a lot of people who aren't really into anime who has at least seen or heard of Cowboy Bebop. I think the opposite because there are a lot of people (especially those who love western cartoons) who are more used to episodic shows. So yeah, I would say that Cowboy Bebop is a good gateway anime especially for western audiences. Death Note too btw.
Sep 22, 2019 2:48 AM

Jan 2017
MrZawa said:
I would disagree with this. F/Z was one of my early shows (not the first though, but it shouldn't be too much of a difference) and I really loved it. Looking at it retrospectively I don't really think I lost much (if at all) in terms of experience without watching F/SN prior to it. It explains pretty much everything well enough and at least I didn't get its ending spoiled.

You're free to disagree, but know that you're wrong.

Fate/Zero is a prequel, explicitly and unashamedly. There's no getting around that. Here's a list of things that Fate/Zero spoils for Fate/Stay Night, just because it assumes you'll have watched that first:

All of this is basic stuff that just gets handed to you if you watch Fate/Zero, but comes as mind-blowing revelations if you follow through the Fate/Stay Night routes in the right order. It's because, again, Zero assumes you'll already be familiar with it, and doesn't bother going over it again.

Like I said, it's a great anime, and I'm glad you had a good time watching it. But it was never intended to be watched first.

Maurice_5Sep 22, 2019 2:55 AM
Sep 22, 2019 5:21 AM

Jun 2017
Any SoL, CGDCT, iyashikei (except maybe Mushishi and Natsume Yuujinchou), idol and mahou shoujo you want...
Sep 22, 2019 5:26 AM

Apr 2017
TheKawaiiToon said:
Probably most anime that are heavy in otaku culture. For example, Haruhi Suzumiya is a great show. But I wouldn't consider it a gateway anime for a good reason because I know people will get really turned off by Haruhi's behaviour.
Another show I can think of is the Monogatari series which can be very confusing to newcomers.

And basically, any slice of life moe or psychological show will not get people interested.

agree 100% with this. Also parody anime like Gintama or Slice of Life anime.
Sep 22, 2019 5:28 AM

Mar 2009
In General - shows that have plenty of japanease culture, shows sith many anime cliches, anime sryle, stuff that we find normal, but outsiders will find offputing. Examples : Monogatori, Gintama, Madoka, Haruhi. Silce of life series are also not good pick.
Other way aeound, when show don't have any of things that make Anime unique, it doesn't introduce viewer to "wierder" parts, so we end up in the beginning. That's way I think the perfect first show is Death Note - grounded story in are world with small doses of wierd parts. It even prepare you with dropped quality IMO after episode 25 :D
More recent, Attack on Titan is also good start.
3 setps to become Masochist:
1. Read source material
2. Watch anime adaptation
3. Suffer
Bonus Step: Tell everyone that anime is crap becouse Manga/Novel is better (duh..)

How to find the worst trash anime ever, so bad that people should be ashamed for even knowing this trash exist:
1. Check your favorite anime
2. Enjoy your shit taste pleb
Works everytime for everyone.
Sep 22, 2019 7:06 AM

Apr 2014
sao, black bullet, gob slayer, typical stuff
Sep 22, 2019 7:20 AM

Oct 2017
Some people will say you need to show newbies stuff which is like western media, but I disagree. You want to show them stuff that makes anime stand out, makes it different. You want to show them how anime can do things in new, interesting ways.

So in a sense, you want to show them anime which are very anime, if you get me meaning.

However, this is important, the one thing I would steer clear of is sexual themes. If a big draw of a show is the sexuality, cute girls and the like, then newbies are very unlikely to be in to it.

I might be wrong on this. But I think the number one thing that outsiders have trouble relating to when they look at anime is the cute sexy girls aspect. A 2D fetish is something that is acquired over time.

So I think the worst (good) anime for a newbie? Monogatari Series.

Not only are cute sexy girls a strong theme, but the heavy amount of dialogue means a lot of time staring at subtitles and working out what is going on which is very difficult for people who aren't used processing heavy themes and complex dialogue through subs.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 22, 2019 8:53 AM

Sep 2017
i had the same idea to show Attack on Titan to my friends, i thought they will disgusted by the gore / seeing giant naked man eating people. but otherwise, they like AoT even more :/
Sep 22, 2019 12:17 PM
Jul 2018
It really depends on the person. They surely have watched live action and cartoon / animated movies and series before, so you should ask what genres they like and dislike.
Sep 22, 2019 1:45 PM

May 2009
Two of the hardest shows to recommend to people, among those I've seen and appreciated, are Cross Ange and Yosuga no Sora. They both have content that people may find very disturbing.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 22, 2019 1:58 PM
Dec 2017
Prezzix said:
Gintama.
It parodies a lot of anime, and makes Japanese (language) jokes you won't get unless you have some grasp of the culture there (which you get by watching a decent amount of anime)

Yeah, Gintama is probably the worst one for a gateway anime. I mean I watched it after I had watched or dropped around a 150 shows and still missed some gags and references about anime and manga ffs. Don't show a newbee Gintama, they'll get turned off.
Sep 22, 2019 2:05 PM

May 2009
robhans said:
In General - shows that have plenty of japanease culture, shows sith many anime cliches, anime sryle, stuff that we find normal, but outsiders will find offputing. Examples : Monogatori, Gintama, Madoka, Haruhi. Silce of life series are also not good pick.
I'd say that Haruhi is relatively straightforward, actually. You've got a character who's clearly nuts about being bored with life, and requests that aliens, espers, and time-travelers appear before her, and lo and behold, they do. Wacky hijinks ensue.

The fact that the characters play off known anime tropes is more of an icing-on-the-cake thing.

YossaRedMage said:
the heavy amount of dialogue means a lot of time staring at subtitles and working out what is going on which is very difficult for people who aren't used processing heavy themes and complex dialogue through subs.
Yeah, anything that's dialogue-heavy and in subs is probably a poor choice, unless they have a pause button on hand, but even then they probably aren't inclined to use it if it's their first time.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 22, 2019 2:27 PM

May 2019
For starter, I would recommend them starting with Studio Ghibli's work. Every single one of 'em are just masterpiece. I wouldn't be surprised if they turned into Oktaku in just a day. It would be pretty worrisome if they started watching anime 24/7 from there....inevitably. If they are into little humor, they could start with Mob Psycho 100 or even One Punch Man.
Sep 22, 2019 2:38 PM
Jul 2018
If they liked western cartoons like South Park and Happy Tree Friends, I am sure they'd adore Imaishi anime like Dead Leaves and Panty and Stocking. But it is always a risk.

Sep 22, 2019 2:40 PM
Mar 2011
begin on mainstem stuff not late night stuff
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 22, 2019 2:44 PM

Mar 2018
I basically disagree with the majority of posts. I know many people who started watching because of Cowboy Bebop or SAO. Equally I know enough people who started watching anime because of a slice of Life because they needed something soothing in the evening after work and were turned off by shows which were mainly just action and very little plot.

First of all not all newbies are the same. It depends on age and gender. Certain shows are great for children and young teens but not beyond a certain age. Things I would never show a newbie are shows which are action heavy with very little plot because they are just tiring and confusing. I personally never understood the appeal of One Piece and Gintama.
Sep 22, 2019 2:54 PM

Oct 2017
A lot of people aren't understanding the question.

I'm not asking for shows that are GOOD gateway anime, rather shows that are BAD gateway anime.
Sep 22, 2019 3:19 PM

Jun 2016
Unconventional shows like panty and stocking, flcl, bakemonogatari or the tatami galaxy may create false impressions on what anime is about and scare away potential fans
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 22, 2019 3:39 PM

Jul 2019
It seems a lot of people misuderstood the question lol.

I think that more unconventional animes can give a wrong image of anime in general and definitively wouldn't be the first one I'd recommend even though they are good.

Examples of animes I've seen that are unconventional would be Ping Pong with it's artstyle and instead of changing pannels they add them over the already existing pannel, Pop Team Epic too as it is first of all a bunch of pop culture references but it also uses different artstyles for the different little skits.
Sep 22, 2019 3:47 PM

Jul 2016
Monogatari series and Konosuba. Bcuz this shows is not gonna taken seriously.

Sep 22, 2019 3:49 PM

Jun 2019
HisokaxMeruem said:
I got my friend into anime with Hunter x Hunter and another one with AoT, so its not really a hard question to answer.

Yet you answered it incorrectly...

It's ironic, but I'm not trying to pick on you exclusively as a lot of others in the thread did as well. I've noticed a trend here of many posters taking a vague approximation of what they think the OP said, not reading the actual first post, and just running with it.

Sep 22, 2019 4:04 PM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
HisokaxMeruem said:
I got my friend into anime with Hunter x Hunter and another one with AoT, so its not really a hard question to answer.

Yet you answered it incorrectly...

It's ironic, but I'm not trying to pick on you exclusively as a lot of others in the thread did as well. I've noticed a trend here of many posters taking a vague approximation of what they think the OP said, not reading the actual first post, and just running with it.

damn you are right, I am an idiot.
Gonna go with gintama, "generic" isekai and especially moe shows like gochiusa and mitsubishi colors, this only gives normie's even more reason to think people that watch anime are pedophiles and I said generic isekai because I still think most of them are "good" because they are entertaining.
Sep 23, 2019 10:29 AM

Sep 2018
For me it doesn't really depend on if he is a anime fan or not, then rather is it a critical or nit picky person? if not maybe give them some Shounen or something
is it a person that likes analysing stuff? if yes maybe give them something like Tenshi no Tamago
do they have a problem with slower shows? if yes DONT shows them something like Monster
etc.

The only ones that maybe are not good for people starting with anime are those shows that involve Japanese culture in a very heavy way (i.e Chihayafuru,3-gatsu no lion and most of those typical High-school shows)

Sep 23, 2019 5:10 PM

Sep 2019
I can't say much since i became dedicated to anime just today, but i've watched some a while ago that i really enjoyed but i can see why non-anime fans would definitly not like.

Monogatari series.

Has loads of fanservice, lots of conversation that can be hard to understand or keep track sometimes, but the plot itself and characters are good and charismatic enough for those who dedicate to it.
Sep 23, 2019 5:24 PM
May 2018
Steins;Gate and Baccano! are both 10/10s to me but i absolutely would never recommend them to someone attempting to get into anime.
Sep 23, 2019 7:19 PM

Dec 2018
well i dont like lain but something considered good like lain is pretty bad to show to new anime fans, might turn them off from anime.
Sep 23, 2019 7:19 PM

Dec 2018
idkwhat2put said:
Steins;Gate and Baccano! are both 10/10s to me but i absolutely would never recommend them to someone attempting to get into anime.

bruh steins gate is a great anime to introduce to a new watcher
Sep 23, 2019 7:32 PM

Nov 2018
I would like to show My Hero Academia or Tokyo Ghouls as they don't contain ecchi stuffs so it'd be good to show them.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 23, 2019 7:39 PM

Oct 2018
attack on titan is good choice in my opinion. the story itself is very engaging especially on ep1 and ep5. fullmetal and death note is good choice too.

the good anime that I would not recommend to is steins gate, code geass, gintama and mob psycho...
Sep 23, 2019 7:45 PM

Oct 2018
Just_A_ManBOi said:
idkwhat2put said:

I don't think so...come on you have to endure 10 episodes to know what is actually going on and things getting more interesting after that but for the new watcher, I bet they'll get bored after watching a few episodes.
Sep 23, 2019 7:59 PM

Dec 2018
Stoorainclaire said:
Just_A_ManBOi said:

I don't think so...come on you have to endure 10 episodes to know what is actually going on and things getting more interesting after that but for the new watcher, I bet they'll get bored after watching a few episodes.

But thats what engaged me, i got interested in the world building and watched more in order to try and understand the plot. I think it really depends on what the watcher comes in expecting, i didn't expect a thriller from the very start or anything at all. So the first 10 episodes actually entertained me fairly well.
Sep 23, 2019 8:07 PM

Aug 2018
TheKawaiiToon said:

I think it depends on the person. I got my sister into anime by showing her Haruhi and K-On! was her first show in Japanese with subtitles. She adores both series now and considers them personal favorites.

wildhood said:
Cowboy Bebop and other episodic anime because it'll make people think that anime is just episodic shows like most Western cartoons are, when it's actually the opposite.

Really? I know a lot of people who aren't really into anime who has at least seen or heard of Cowboy Bebop. I think the opposite because there are a lot of people (especially those who love western cartoons) who are more used to episodic shows. So yeah, I would say that Cowboy Bebop is a good gateway anime especially for western audiences. Death Note too btw.[/quote]
Again I think it depends on the person, I tried to show my Dad Bebop but he couldn't get past episode 2. I think the culture we have now has kind of built up an unfortunate expectation that good drama series are supposed to have an ongoing narrative that's obvious from the start to hook an audience. So episodic series like Bebop could go unappreciated in a modern landscape depending on the person.
Sep 23, 2019 8:11 PM

Sep 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion, why? I actually had a friend who has never seen an anime watch it, who knew it was one I liked, and then finished it and asked me what the fuck was wrong with me.

Some other ones to me would be Kill la Kill and Berserk
Sep 24, 2019 12:53 AM

Oct 2008
Makura no Danshi
or
Bikini Warriors
or
Boku no Pico
Sep 24, 2019 12:55 AM

Sep 2019
zieek said:
Makura no Danshi
or
Bikini Warriors
or
Boku no Pico

lol i thought so someone will say ths
Sep 24, 2019 1:02 AM
Dec 2018
I wouldnt use anything that references other animes or Japanese culture too much or are parodies of particular genres, because they either dont understand it or are creeped out by it(e.g. No Game No Life). Also I wouldnt recommend things with too much Fan Service/Ecchi scenes(e.g. Shokugeki no Souma, Kill la Kill). Personally I would use something with an interesting story that is rather close to western live-action TV series, such as the Fate franchise(which was my first anime) or FMA Brotherhood or maybe even a Isekai/Shounen depending on what they are interested in.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 1 minute ago

0 by Peach_Main »»
1 minute ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9049 by thatoneguy2440 »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

81 by ColourWheel »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime you only knowledges about is from the memes

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

13 by -Aurelius- »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - Apr 17

46 by InsomniacBastard »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.