Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Sep 20, 2019 3:07 PM
Aug 2019
Tohsaka_Rukia said:
This thread is literally a bunch of crybabies blaming another anime that other people don't like their favorite Japanese cartoon lmfao.

They're just greedy.
Vinland's anime only trails its manga by 0.20 points, so they see, that like the manga, it's very favorably received. Vinland is in the top 50 most popular manga, so they probably expected the anime would be as popular but it isn't. You're right. It's pretty naive to just point to another show to explain why the anime is't massively popular. It's probably a confluence of many factors. If I was a long-time Vinland manga reader, I'd feel good, having my taste in manga/anime validated.
Sep 20, 2019 6:14 PM

Feb 2019
Mythologically said:
I think the main thing hindering Vinland Saga's popularity growth is that it is garbage.

But why is it garbage? Even your review didn't make it clear *Cough* nitpicks *Cough*
Sep 20, 2019 7:08 PM

Feb 2019
Mythologically said:
NotFred said:

But why is it garbage? Even your review didn't make it clear *Cough* nitpicks *Cough*

Well, there's literally not a single good thing about it besides for the 2D art. It's about as historically accurate as Disney's Pocahontas. The characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting. The plot couldn't get any more generic (not necessarily a bad thing in itself but still). The pacing is mind-numbingly slow. The fight scenes are boring as hell. Like, I just can't see where one could possibly derive enjoyment from this.

I guess, it's more about expectations and preference.

Personally, I don't mind the inaccuracy, since it's fiction. Even tho it's in it early stages.

I don't think that characters are one-dimensional and uninteresting. Askeladd is far from one-dimensional. Thorkell is a very fun character to watch. Thorfinn is also pretty decently written. Even if he's unlikable and obnoxious, it's interesting that there's that much irony and struggle in his life.

Pacing may be slow, but I don't mind it. Anime takes time build up. Which I respect, since most of animes jump right into the action. Which can feel rushed, even tho I don't mind that. I just prefer that anime takes it time before the climax happens.

The fights scenes are pretty fogetable and short. Episode 9 is an exception ofc. That was a great fight.

Sucks ya didn't enjoy it, but ya know preferences and opinions.
Sep 20, 2019 8:11 PM

May 2015
Mythologically said:
I think the main thing hindering Vinland Saga's popularity growth is that it is garbage.

Except it isn't...

Sep 20, 2019 8:20 PM

Mar 2018
@Mythologically You can't even explain why the charaters are one-dimensional or why the plot is generic because of your one-dimensional view of the story.

Your review is like super cringe. You tried to make fun of the plot but the only thing you did was describe the premise? Only a self-absorded hater can come up with something so stupid, holy shit. Someone who takes time to write 24 reviews should know better but it's MAL so whatever. Call it generic all you want, you won't be able to justify that after the anime ends because there's nothing else like it in this medium. You can't even do now it either though let's be honest, you can only fall back to "LOOK AT THE FIGHTS IT'S TOTALLY A GENERIC BATTLE SHOUNEN"

Your rant on Thors wtf.. never did he say anything like "If you kill your enemies, you're as bad as them!". He just didn't belief there was a need for blood to be shed. I don't even understand how you can think Thors made a dumb decision by asking for a duel, if he didn't the rest of them would've either been killed or sold as slaves, he knew he had to die after realising Floki was behind the attack. Askeladd kept the promise anyway. Seriously a beta male like you feeling repulsed by Thors is hilarious lol, dude saved everyone

You should look up what historical fiction is, will help you not to have wrong expectations. The first minute of this series already contained unrealistic combat so it's unfair criticism to be honest, you're free to keep holding on to that to support the rest of your terrible critique though, you're obviously baiting so it's not like people who are actually invested in critique will give a shit.

Deep down you know your behaviour is more edgy than Thorfinn.. calm down. Why bother writing reviews when you don't give a shit? Talk about boring..
poop
Sep 20, 2019 9:11 PM

Mar 2018
@Mythologically How is responding to your post and review insecure? At least I'm trying to engage in conversation about an anime on a anime forum.

But likewise, I think your posts are shit too. It's kinda boring when you frame yourself as if there's no room left for other interpretations and never explain yourself
poop
Sep 20, 2019 9:13 PM

Jan 2019
me thorfinn.
me angry.
grrr

wow what an amazing story filled with great complex characters haha
Sep 21, 2019 12:18 AM

Sep 2019
heg said:
there is still less than 200K members at the moment now dont get me wrong that kind of number is popular (afaik anything that reach 100K members on an anime entry here on MAL with its current 6 million total users is popular already) but to me its not reaching Attack on Titan levels yet?

should they have aired this on CrunchyRoll instead that has like 45million users at the moment instead of Amazon Prime which i do not know how many users it has and probably a lot less than CrunchyRoll have

or are there any other reason why its not getting more popular right now?
No more, it has 200k+ now. What do you think about this?
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 21, 2019 2:56 AM
May 2018
Sure Amazon isn't helping with it's popularity ( even-though it is the best streaming site along side Netflix for anime where I live ), but how it's doing in Japan ?
If it's getting second season I don't care about it's popularity in the west.
Sep 21, 2019 7:14 AM
Jan 2018
Amazon prime and becouse the average anime watcher only cares about fight scenes and don't care about anything els such as the progression of a story like build up or interested in seeing character growth they need a fight scene every 30 seconds to stay interested.
Sep 21, 2019 7:31 AM
Jul 2016
it's like AoT when it first aired slow paced so it won't attract alot of people and ibet AoT In S1 was like VN's case too lmao
Sep 21, 2019 9:20 AM

Jan 2009
Peeti said:
heg said:
there is still less than 200K members at the moment now dont get me wrong that kind of number is popular (afaik anything that reach 100K members on an anime entry here on MAL with its current 6 million total users is popular already) but to me its not reaching Attack on Titan levels yet?

should they have aired this on CrunchyRoll instead that has like 45million users at the moment instead of Amazon Prime which i do not know how many users it has and probably a lot less than CrunchyRoll have

or are there any other reason why its not getting more popular right now?
No more, it has 200k+ now. What do you think about this?

its good news obviously im a fan of this anime too
Sep 21, 2019 11:55 AM
Apr 2019
foretold said:
me thorfinn.
me angry.
grrr

Thorfinn grows way passed that as the story progresses, he is initially written like that at the start of the series for a purpose. Similar to how Eren was bascally just a revenge boi as well for the first season of AoT and grew into a much more complex character. Even now thought there is a bit more to Thorfinn then that the Thors in Thorfinn dreams telling him to give up on his revenge is his own subconscious talking. Deep down he knows what he's doing is wrong ,not what his father wanted and hates ever mintue of( remember after fighting Thorkell he said the he hates fighting and doesn't know how anybody could enjoy it which is a far cry from how he wanted to be a warrior as a child before really experiencing battle) he feels he then done to much and suffered too much on th his revenge quest to turn back now
Sep 21, 2019 12:59 PM

Dec 2018
The guys who watch Vinland Saga are the same guys who save up and spend their entire paycheck on an ugly designer jacket. Same dudes who plug their nose when they jump in a pool. Same dudes who shower with socks on. There's not enough of those dudes and that's what hinders the popularity.
Sep 21, 2019 1:12 PM

Dec 2018
foretold said:
me thorfinn.
me angry.
grrr

You take for granted that some of the 13-14 years olds on this site actually love that. After getting beat by their parents every Sunday they too can get angry and watch Thorfinn do epic things! Sometimes they throw in terms like "character development," "pacing," and even "intellectual," to pat themselves on the back and cheer up after the beating they just took. At the end of the day they just want to fulfill their fantasy of fighting back against their dads, and live through Thorfinn in his fight against Goatee dude!
Sep 21, 2019 2:55 PM

Feb 2019
CorkMars said:
foretold said:
me thorfinn.
me angry.
grrr

You take for granted that some of the 13-14 years olds on this site actually love that. After getting beat by their parents every Sunday they too can get angry and watch Thorfinn do epic things! Sometimes they throw in terms like "character development," "pacing," and even "intellectual," to pat themselves on the back and cheer up after the beating they just took. At the end of the day they just want to fulfill their fantasy of fighting back against their dads, and live through Thorfinn in his fight against Goatee dude!

Dude. How did you kno- I mean... it is what is. A male fantasy.
Sep 21, 2019 2:56 PM

Feb 2019
CorkMars said:
The guys who watch Vinland Saga are the same guys who save up and spend their entire paycheck on an ugly designer jacket. Same dudes who plug their nose when they jump in a pool. Same dudes who shower with socks on. There's not enough of those dudes and that's what hinders the popularity.

I'll take it as a compliment.
Sep 21, 2019 5:31 PM
Jan 2019
YamTams said:
KNY, FF, and Dr. Stone are already getting all the spotlight this season. Compared to the other 3, Vinland Saga is slower paced and has less hype during the fights. Shame, Vinland Saga deserves more recognition.
yeah I hope that I good épisodes will come out so it will get more popularity just like kimetsu no yaiba
Sep 22, 2019 1:45 AM

Sep 2013
I'm positive someone above definitely mentioned this, but I feel that Vinland Saga not airing on Crunchyroll and exclusively on Amazon Prime/other websites hinders its popularity growth. That being said, I think it's plenty enough popular and is definitely going to continue in that trend.
Sep 22, 2019 3:26 AM
Aug 2019
ayalazhar08 said:
YamTams said:
KNY, FF, and Dr. Stone are already getting all the spotlight this season. Compared to the other 3, Vinland Saga is slower paced and has less hype during the fights. Shame, Vinland Saga deserves more recognition.
yeah I hope that I good épisodes will come out so it will get more popularity just like kimetsu no yaiba

People like what they've already seen. The show's level of quality isn't a detriment to its popularity. Manga readers overstate criticism. It's perplexing. The relatively small number of vocal detractors can't compare to 33k (85%) of 38k voters giving 8, 9 or 10. The synopsis of Stone/Kimetsu just resonates with wider audiences AND/OR Vinland is less accessible, being absent from Crunchyroll. Limited release films will never hit Avengers box office numbers, and just because a film becomes critically acclaimed doesn't mean it will become a blockbuster.
But you're onto something. Any masterfully done episode down the line could create the kind of buzz that drives popularity up.
Sep 22, 2019 3:34 AM

Jun 2011
This happens to all amazon anime. ^^; But it is over 200k now.

But I found out Amazon actually has more content (like good content, not just anime content) than all the other services but... their service is just so poorly sorted you can't find anything.
The anime community in a nutshell.
Sep 22, 2019 3:56 AM

Oct 2018
todd2580 said:
it's like AoT when it first aired slow paced so it won't attract alot of people and ibet AoT In S1 was like VN's case too lmao

Well yes, but actually no.
Sep 22, 2019 4:03 AM

May 2015
Mythologically said:
Esquirtit said:
@Mythologically You can't even explain why the charaters are one-dimensional or why the plot is generic because of your one-dimensional view of the story.

Your review is like super cringe. You tried to make fun of the plot but the only thing you did was describe the premise? Only a self-absorded hater can come up with something so stupid, holy shit. Someone who takes time to write 24 reviews should know better but it's MAL so whatever. Call it generic all you want, you won't be able to justify that after the anime ends because there's nothing else like it in this medium. You can't even do now it either though let's be honest, you can only fall back to "LOOK AT THE FIGHTS IT'S TOTALLY A GENERIC BATTLE SHOUNEN"

Your rant on Thors wtf.. never did he say anything like "If you kill your enemies, you're as bad as them!". He just didn't belief there was a need for blood to be shed. I don't even understand how you can think Thors made a dumb decision by asking for a duel, if he didn't the rest of them would've either been killed or sold as slaves, he knew he had to die after realising Floki was behind the attack. Askeladd kept the promise anyway. Seriously a beta male like you feeling repulsed by Thors is hilarious lol, dude saved everyone

You should look up what historical fiction is, will help you not to have wrong expectations. The first minute of this series already contained unrealistic combat so it's unfair criticism to be honest, you're free to keep holding on to that to support the rest of your terrible critique though, you're obviously baiting so it's not like people who are actually invested in critique will give a shit.

Deep down you know your behaviour is more edgy than Thorfinn.. calm down. Why bother writing reviews when you don't give a shit? Talk about boring..

damn i always thought your forum posts were shit but this is a new level of insecurity

Nice counter argument. Oh wait...

Sep 22, 2019 4:05 AM

May 2015
foretold said:
me thorfinn.
me angry.
grrr

i don't like this popular show
pay attention to me
i'm really cool

Sep 22, 2019 12:22 PM

Jan 2019
TsukuyomiREKT said:
foretold said:
me thorfinn.
me angry.
grrr

pay attention to me
i'm really cool

damn didnt know any legitimate criticism towards a popular show is just an attempt to gain attention for not liking said popular show. guess any criticism towards it is just invalid then :( the more you know
Sep 22, 2019 4:28 PM

May 2015
foretold said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

pay attention to me
i'm really cool

damn didnt know any legitimate criticism towards a popular show is just an attempt to gain attention for not liking said popular show. guess any criticism towards it is just invalid then :( the more you know

Damn, didn't know literally anything negative a person says about a show is considered legitimate criticism, even when it makes no sense and they didn't explain themselves whatsoever. The more you know, am I right?
TsukuyomiREKTSep 22, 2019 4:31 PM

Sep 22, 2019 4:30 PM

May 2015
Mythologically said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Nice counter argument. Oh wait...

You’ll notice how I had a reasonable conversation with NotFred, who is a reasonable person that responded in a civil way. You’ll also notice that I didn’t bother arguing with an insane prick who verbally abused me. Interesting, right?

You didn't bother arguing with him because you can't. You wouldn't be able to counter any of his points.

Sep 22, 2019 4:35 PM

Jun 2015
Apparently Amazon Prime is the graveyard for anime and it doesn't help that it's not a flashy battle shounen either.
Read Toriko!
Sep 22, 2019 4:46 PM

Oct 2013
todd2580 said:

Nope, the total opposite the first episode quickly sky rocketed its popularity, by time it reach episode 5, it became a mega hit series.
Sep 22, 2019 5:08 PM
Jul 2016
keragamming said:
todd2580 said:

Nope, the total opposite the first episode quickly sky rocketed its popularity, by time it reach episode 5, it became a mega hit series.

okay then VN might be the opposite anyways when we get to the main point of it it might become like AoT
Sep 22, 2019 5:13 PM

Jan 2019
TsukuyomiREKT said:
foretold said:

Damn, didn't know literally anything negative a person says about a show is considered legitimate criticism, even when it makes no sense and they didn't explain themselves whatsoever. The more you know, am I right?

damn didnt know accurately describing the entirety of thorfinns character with two simple words made no sense. here i was thinking a completely one note main character made the already empty story even less engaging. wait i forgot i cant criticize this show because it is popular mb bro ill stop now
Sep 22, 2019 9:01 PM

Sep 2019
Mythologically said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

You didn't bother arguing with him because you can't. You wouldn't be able to counter any of his points.

Right then, let me counter his pathetic attempts at "points".

First of all, no one can provide evidence as to why a character is one-dimensional. One-dimensionality is the default state of a character. In order to stop being one-dimensional, a character has to do something that would make them complex. That hasn't been the case with Vinland so far. Thorfinn's whole personality is "me angry". That's literally all that there is to him. Same with Askeladd. He is literally just cool, and that is it. Maybe they develop in the manga, but we're not talking about the manga here, are we.

His whole next paragraph is filled with literal verbal diarrhea. The only thing remotely close to a point is "You tried to make fun of the plot but the only thing you did was describe the premise". Yep, because the premise is literally all that the plot of the show has been so far. It's a generic revenge story, and nothing else has happened so far. Thorfinn's dad dies, Thorfinn wants to get revenge, and then Askeladd's crew goes around and does Viking things. That's it. I didn't even call the plot particularly bad in my review either. If the clown actually bothered looking at the scores I gave each aspect of the show, he would find that I gave the story a 6, which indicates that it is slightly below average. So far, the story has been slightly below average, as literally nothing of significance has happened.

The second paragraph is simply factually incorrect and logically incoherent. True, he never literally said, "If you kill your enemies, you're as bad as them!". However, those words are implied by his actions. In a situation where ships full of Vikings threaten the lives of him, his child, and other people that he has known for years, Thors decides to spare the lives of said Vikings. With the power levels Thors is shown to have, he could have easily killed all of them, and no one on his side would have had to die. The strongest person on the side of the Vikings, Askeladd, is someone that Thors was able to fairly easily defeat in a duel. This sort of illogical, moral preaching is completely unbelievable considering the historical context of the show.

The last paragraph is again full of verbal diarrhea since Eqsuirtit is incapable of rational thought. Again, the only point there is "hurr durr historical fiction >:(", which is simply nuts. Historical fiction shouldn't be full of literal bullshit. I can't take a show seriously when a bunch of people run at high speeds downhill while carrying a ship on their back.

Anyway, that's enough effort put into responding to your low effort posts.
Lol, great then , you can watch other anime. This is not for you.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 22, 2019 9:32 PM

Sep 2019
Mythologically said:
Peeti said:
Lol, great then , you can watch other anime. This is not for you.

Lol, people are saying something negative about a show I like in a discussion thread for the show, "just don't watch the show lol hurr durr"
Of course wasting your time here when you can find something other in millions of entertainment things. Oye, when I said u shouldn't say negative things but u said it and that's it, did I. What now? I think u literally said that u can't take the show seriously, then it's obvious that I may say it to u. It's not like that u wanna like the series though.
PeetiSep 23, 2019 7:54 PM
Sep 22, 2019 9:42 PM

Nov 2014
This anime started strong, but I started loosing interest with every episode.
Luckily I have Amazon Prime, so I had an easy time watching the show in HD

Sep 22, 2019 9:50 PM
Feb 2015
God damn there are a lot of assholes here
Sep 22, 2019 10:05 PM
Nov 2018
The show has a weak premise. It also doesnt have people schilling for it like random cute anime girl shows do.

Look at the ratings though. It'll be a "sleeper" hit at teh end of this season with more and more people catching on. Surprised some of the fights haven taken off as key moments.
Sep 22, 2019 10:14 PM
Aug 2019
Can’t we stop with the constant back and forth. I understand, some of you think the show is bland, boring and generic with little to no plot. Some of you think the show is a master class in anime and will be talked about for years to come. These are your own individual opinions, there is no need to defend your opinion and argue consistently about it. I know all of you only stated your opinions with hope of having an actual discussion, only then to have someone say your opinion is wrong or is factually false. At the end of the day, it doesn’t even matter. We all see things differently, we all have different taste. No two people will like the same thing. So, keep enjoying the show if you like it and keep criticizing it if you don’t. But, let’s respect each other’s opinions and talk about them in an open-minded discussion. Instead of responding with quick witted banter because nothing is flawless and nothing is completely terrible.
Sep 22, 2019 10:33 PM
Jun 2019
EchoAnEternity said:
Can’t we stop with the constant back and forth. I understand, some of you think the show is bland, boring and generic with little to no plot. Some of you think the show is a master class in anime and will be talked about for years to come. These are your own individual opinions, there is no need to defend your opinion and argue consistently about it. I know all of you only stated your opinions with hope of having an actual discussion, only then to have someone say your opinion is wrong or is factually false. At the end of the day, it doesn’t even matter. We all see things differently, we all have different taste. No two people will like the same thing. So, keep enjoying the show if you like it and keep criticizing it if you don’t. But, let’s respect each other’s opinions and talk about them in an open-minded discussion. Instead of responding with quick witted banter because nothing is flawless and nothing is completely terrible.
Uh there is the ignore button.
Sep 23, 2019 2:19 AM
May 2013
the story is too mature for your average anime viewer and it's on prime. easy answer.
Sep 23, 2019 5:59 AM
Apr 2016
rtil said:
the story is too mature for your average anime viewer and it's on prime. easy answer.

Hahaha boulders thrown kilometers away by a guy. Who suddenly regrows his finger from frame to frame. Hahaha. Mature. Such pretentiousness.
This series is aimed exactly at the average viewer - lacking critical thinking and content with cool, yet lacking substance scenes and statements.
EchoAnEternity said:

You are right but if this is left unchecked the (either) wrong side might get the idea their opinions fall under the "plausible" category. Spoiler alert - they do not. And quick witted remarks is about the only way to battle nonsensical one-liners.
Daniel_NaumovSep 23, 2019 6:04 AM
Re:formed
Sep 23, 2019 6:01 AM
May 2013
Daniel_Naumov said:
rtil said:

Hahaha boulders thrown kilometers away by a guy. Who suddenly regrows his finger from frame to frame. Hahaha. Mature. Such pretentiousness.
This series is aimed exactly at the average viewer - lacking critical thinking and content with cool, yet lacking substance scenes and statements.

not sure what throwing boulders or animation errors have to do with the story, but to each their own.
Sep 23, 2019 6:56 AM
Apr 2016
rtil said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

not sure what throwing boulders or animation errors have to do with the story, but to each their own.

If you can somehow justify labeling this series as "mature" by providing points of artistic or symbolic value, then you will not sound like a know-nothing loud-mouth that labeels anyone who refuses to worship what they like as the opposite of "mature". You know, like they do in civilized world - provide actual substance, not hot air.
Sep 23, 2019 8:33 AM
Aug 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
rtil said:

If you can somehow justify labeling this series as "mature" by providing points of artistic or symbolic value, then you will not sound like a know-nothing loud-mouth that labeels anyone who refuses to worship what they like as the opposite of "mature". You know, like they do in civilized world - provide actual substance, not hot air.

I agree with what you said in response to my post above. But to answer why this show is seen as “mature” , is of the way it’s telling/showing the story. This show is very focused on fleshing out its character, even giving them I believe 5 minutes to discuss the views Vikings have of Christianity in the latest episode. Even Thors story was given 4 episodes but if Wit Studio wanted, it could of been chopped down to one in order to move the story along. They also fleshed out Thorfinn’s childhood with two anime original episodes. The first “exciting” thing to happen in this show wasn’t until episode 4. Which the “average” anime fan won’t like. A lot of people watch anime for the excitement of watching characters fight or trying to figure out the mystery of the anime’s characters, story or world. Which Vinland doesn’t have, it’s been very straight forward so far. An anime like this is kinda rare today and a big risk. (There’s a chance it wouldn’t have become popular and Wit Studio could’ve taken a big loss. ) Not because of the story it’s telling or the topics it’s covering, it’s the choice of letting this anime have a slow pace with few fights. They could of cut out all the talking and stuck to just the fighting to make a 12 episode season instead of 24. I believe that’s why this show is seen as “mature” even if characters are throwing boulders or jumping bridges.
Sep 23, 2019 10:47 AM

Mar 2018
Mythologically said:
Right then, let me counter his pathetic attempts at "points".

Very amusing post, so I'm irrational and pathetic, but you're the one stuck on the same points, adding nothing of substance. It was a mistake confronting you since you seemingly have no intention of making yourself more clear beyond iterating surface level observations. What a literal clown.

Mythologically said:

First of all, no one can provide evidence as to why a character is one-dimensional.
Why would this be undoable? What did you try to convey here? You immediatey start contradicting yourself by attempting it lol

Mythologically said:
One-dimensionality is the default state of a character. In order to stop being one-dimensional, a character has to do something that would make them complex.

Are you delibrately being confusing? You're sort of mixing up two usages of the word, so annoying. A character doesn't have to ''do'' something complex to have character depth (though it could certainly add depth), that's a really vague proposition.

Mythologically said:

That hasn't been the case with Vinland so far. Thorfinn's whole personality is "me angry". That's literally all that there is to him.
Yes being angry is one his traits, so is him being antisocial, fearless, amoral and self-centered, clearly there are enough ways to describe him. We're talking about character depth, there are numerous varibales that define Thorfinn. In the 10 episodes so far, 3 focused on Thorfinn's childhood in the village, where he was quite different from now, and his change is understandable, that's character depth. Prior to Thors' death we see how influential Viking's beliefs were to him, and how he struggled with his father's conflicting beliefs. After the time skip this still haunts him, that's what makes him multidimensional. He doesn't just want to kill Askeladd, he wants to reclaim his father's honor by defeating him in a duel but part of him recognizes his father's words and so he still longs for a place of peace.

Mythologically said:
Same with Askeladd. He is literally just cool, and that is it. Maybe they develop in the manga, but we're not talking about the manga here, are we.
You're a clown lmao, 'just cool''. I was right all along, you're the one-dimensional one.

Mythologically said:
His whole next paragraph is filled with literal verbal diarrhea. The only thing remotely close to a point is "You tried to make fun of the plot but the only thing you did was describe the premise". Yep, because the premise is literally all that the plot of the show has been so far. It's a generic revenge story, and nothing else has happened so far. Thorfinn's dad dies, Thorfinn wants to get revenge, and then Askeladd's crew goes around and does Viking things. That's it. I didn't even call the plot particularly bad in my review either. If the clown actually bothered looking at the scores I gave each aspect of the show, he would find that I gave the story a 6, which indicates that it is slightly below average. So far, the story has been slightly below average, as literally nothing of significance has happened.

Bladiblablah. There are other characters, there's political intrigue. You don't understand what's significant, there was enough build-up and plot development. Btw, tell me another anime/manga with the same type of set-up if it's so generic.

Mythologically said:
The second paragraph is simply factually incorrect and logically incoherent. True, he never literally said, "If you kill your enemies, you're as bad as them!". However, those words are implied by his actions. In a situation where ships full of Vikings threaten the lives of him, his child, and other people that he has known for years, Thors decides to spare the lives of said Vikings. With the power levels Thors is shown to have, he could have easily killed all of them, and no one on his side would have had to die. The strongest person on the side of the Vikings, Askeladd, is someone that Thors was able to fairly easily defeat in a duel. This sort of illogical, moral preaching is completely unbelievable considering the historical context of the show.

There's barely ''moral preaching'' if he can't even convey his morals to the people around him. He's a deserter, Vikings travel and come in contact with more things than the average villager in this time period. It's not that unbelievable he wanted to change, considering his wife and kids. Either way, I don't consider this strong criticism since he died accordingly.

Mythologically said:
The last paragraph is again full of verbal diarrhea since Eqsuirtit is incapable of rational thought. Again, the only point there is "hurr durr historical fiction >:(", which is simply nuts. Historical fiction shouldn't be full of literal bullshit. I can't take a show seriously when a bunch of people run at high speeds downhill while carrying a ship on their back.

And I can, because it has been part of it since episode 1, it doesn't have to be 100% realistic to be considered ''historical''. You say ''full of bullshit'' but only speak of the battles, you're the one who's irrational. Historically accurate portrayal of combat is just one aspect of historical fiction. No one who watches this series thinks it's realistic, stop grandstanding clown.

:weird typo
EsquirtitSep 23, 2019 12:13 PM
poop
Sep 23, 2019 10:51 AM

Mar 2018
@TsukuyomiREKT Holy shit what a clown he is. Thanks for defending me

@Daniel_Naumov When do his fingers regrow from frame to frame? Are you sure you checked before jumping to conclusions?
EsquirtitSep 23, 2019 11:00 AM
poop
Sep 23, 2019 11:09 AM
Apr 2016
Esquirtit said:
@TsukuyomiREKT Holy shit what a clown he is. Thanks for defending me

@Daniel_Naumov When do his fingers regrow from frame to frame? Are you sure you checked before jumping to conclusions?
Check previous episode, before they begin their attack on Canute's camp. On at least one frame the studio decided not to care about consistency and BOOM he has 5 healthy fingers on both hands. If you want to avoid jumping to conclusions, of course.
Sep 23, 2019 11:20 AM

Mar 2018
@Daniel_Naumov I checked it before, they always show them cut off. You mean the part where he's throwing boulders right? You sure you focused on his right hand?

Unless you mean that still where he holds his log, but that's just drawn without detail so you can't really say they forgot about it, it's just not noticeable.
EsquirtitSep 23, 2019 11:28 AM
poop
Sep 23, 2019 11:28 AM
Apr 2016
Esquirtit said:
@Daniel_Naumov I checked it before, they always show them cut off. You mean the part where he's throwing boulders right? You sure you focused on his right hand?

If you have nothing else to do you might as well check the episode discussion thread or reddit, where they explicitly describe and show the magical fingers.
Sep 23, 2019 11:41 AM

Mar 2018
@Daniel_Naumov In both cases they just got it wrong though. You said it yourself in the episode discussion thread. On reddit some dude admitted he was wrong as well.
poop
Sep 23, 2019 11:46 AM
Apr 2016
Esquirtit said:
@Daniel_Naumov In both cases they just got it wrong though. You said it yourself in the episode discussion thread. On reddit some dude admitted he was wrong as well.

I could have never said that, since I still believe what I saw on several frames. Either way this is not getting anywhere and I will not derail the thread any further.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.