Forum Settings
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 14, 2019 2:37 AM

Feb 2013
Like how she constantly breaks formation, rushes in, puts her comrades in danger and nobody seems to care about that.

And at the end where she got stabbed and shot multiple times and still surviving and holding conversations anime logic haha
Sep 17, 2019 12:33 PM

Oct 2017
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:
Like how she constantly breaks formation, rushes in, puts her comrades in danger and nobody seems to care about that.

And at the end where she got stabbed and shot multiple times and still surviving and holding conversations anime logic haha

Her surviving after getting stabbed then shot mutiple times and still holding a conversation is not illogical in this series. To begin with this series has magic involved and on top of that she has special powers given to her by Being X/God. Also she wasn't shot on any vitals too. So theres nothing to laugh about that.
Sep 18, 2019 3:11 AM

Oct 2015
Yeah she was the focus of the movie and I found her to be a generally uninteresting character
Sep 18, 2019 3:25 AM

May 2014
My issue was just the way she looked. In the light novel art she looked really cool, but in the anime version....nah. Her hair style is awful.
Sep 18, 2019 3:46 AM
Jun 2019
I thought Mary was supposed to be portrayed as a vengeful, annoying edgy 'shit' in the anime.In other words you should be asking if anyone actually did not mind her so much.

Maybe I'm wrong but the whole point of that character was to be hated by the audience(or so it seems to me). I say that because the anime is based from the POV of Tanya whose character and goals are the exact opposite of someone like Mary.
Sep 19, 2019 2:00 AM
Apr 2016
She's literally a Mary Sue.
Sep 19, 2019 5:13 PM

Feb 2015
MegamiRem said:
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:

Her surviving after getting stabbed then shot mutiple times and still holding a conversation is not illogical in this series. To begin with this series has magic involved and on top of that she has special powers given to her by Being X/God. Also she wasn't shot on any vitals too. So theres nothing to laugh about that.

Nah. It 100% is. She didn't have the glowly god eyes, nor magic. Her tool was broken. She got shot in the sternum, right in the esophagus, trachea, and lungs. She 100% should have been dead and it was 100% bullshit for her to live, let alone talk, after that scene. All the bullets except the first went through and through. This is beyond plot armor, and is just straight up bullshit. Not shot in vitals my fucking ass. She'd have no lungs after that scene and probably no throat.
YautjaSep 19, 2019 5:16 PM
Sep 20, 2019 10:24 AM

May 2012
I love Mary. She is cute and best villain so far in this anime
Sep 21, 2019 9:31 AM
Jul 2017
Yautja said:
MegamiRem said:

Nah. It 100% is. She didn't have the glowly god eyes, nor magic. Her tool was broken. She got shot in the sternum, right in the esophagus, trachea, and lungs. She 100% should have been dead and it was 100% bullshit for her to live, let alone talk, after that scene. All the bullets except the first went through and through. This is beyond plot armor, and is just straight up bullshit. Not shot in vitals my fucking ass. She'd have no lungs after that scene and probably no throat.

I completely agree, its total bullshit that she lived after taking that many bullets to the torso. She should've been bleeding like crazy out of all the exit wounds. Bullets also do more than just make a hole in you, they tear up your insides. The first bullet went right between her collarbones, it would've torn up her air pipe, and she would be chocking to death on her own blood, it would've been completely impossible to talk after that. Not to mention all the other bullets that punctured her lungs, even if she didn't die on the spot theres no way she would've been able to make it back to a hospital, and even if she did thered be no way to save her, even if a doctor was right there on site. She dies in the Web Novel, but not the light novel or the anime apparently.
Sep 22, 2019 12:16 AM

Jun 2017
i didn't really mind, but I'm having trouble trying to come up what the point of her character even was. A little self-reflection for Tanya? I guess for the short 20 seconds that the movie goes over it... :p

I was actually wondering how interesting it would be if Tanya actually ended up capturing her,
or even just the possibilities you could explore in having Tanya outright kill someone who seems to have a parallel access to whateverthefuckbeingx's blessing

Sep 27, 2019 11:03 AM

Jun 2019
Yeah i hated her. She was the type of character "Oh someone's killed my dad, so i have to go full berserk despite it's wrong and not healthy against someone who is clearly stronger than me and i might kill someone who i shouldn't" stereotype. We've seen like her a lot in anime and they all are obnoxious.

Plust that "Entity x" ex-machina is becoming a bit annoying. They should add something else rather than giving us the same fucking stuff. Christ.
Sep 27, 2019 2:07 PM

Nov 2013
Well, I'd say that's pretty much point of the character, isn't it? To contrast the logical Tanya.
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 1, 2019 3:32 PM

Sep 2008
Idk anymore... To me, she already died twice... curse you beingx ... why do you keep reviving the poor girl and send her into battle aaaa
~_~ !
Oct 6, 2019 10:55 AM

Aug 2018
She is a fair representation of Being X's will, somehow. Like she appears as an angel on the movie official illustration, contrasting Tanya, who's being considered AND explicitely called as a demon.

Without her presence, the origin of this story (punishment for doubting God's existence) would be lost in the movie. Luckily enough there wasn't any scenes with Tanya talking directly to him so the minimum remained to bring something directly related to him, aka a character owning his will & power.
Oct 6, 2019 11:04 AM

Apr 2014
Didn't her fathers empire, attack the empire? or tresspass in their lands?

why get angry at people defending their countries, from communist rapists?

I think she exists soley to annoy rational thinkers.
ThatUndeadLegacyOct 6, 2019 11:29 AM
Oct 13, 2019 10:18 AM

Mar 2013
Otorez said:
She is a fair representation of Being X's will, somehow. Like she appears as an angel on the movie official illustration, contrasting Tanya, who's being considered AND explicitly called as a demon.

Without her presence, the origin of this story (punishment for doubting God's existence) would be lost in the movie. Luckily enough there wasn't any scenes with Tanya talking directly to him so the minimum remained to bring something directly related to him, aka a character owning his will & power.

Mary Sue is the daughter of Anson Sioux (Sue). The guy who 1st showed up in episode 2 while Tanya was patrolling the border & most of his men got wrecked in Tanya's spotting mission.

He then shows up later, after Mary gifts him the rifle, to defend the port town that was strategic to the Empire. Tanya & friends once again wreck Anson's men. Anson himself nearly receives a mortal wound & Tanya takes his better then her's rifle. It is a nice rifle. Automatic too.

Then finally for the last time Anson joins one of the 1st multinational groups but is using a gun banned by treaties. (looks like a shotgun) basically Anson who should be a good guy has turned in to a villain at this point. Also Tanya finally starts to somewhat feel despair as Being X has hoped, but Tanya superior scientific mind still wins out.

Now we have Mary Sue (Sioux) joining the fight. I think she's meant to be the other side of Tanya's coin. The radical religious zealot. If Tanya is a bad for being overly logical then Mary is a bad whatever religion she's suppose to represent. But yeah, she's annoying as fuck & self centered
Oct 20, 2019 10:27 AM

Apr 2009
Oh thank the anime gods, I thought I was the only one. I was grating my teeth the entire time she was full of her bloody sense of justice!

I also agree on the exit wounds, I've reviewed that scene, she shot her seven times at point-blank range. The first shot in the sternum didn't seem to had an exit wound, maybe her computational jewel blunted some of the bullet's kinetic energy when it shattered and the bullet or fragments of it could be in her heart or very near it, the rest of her shots clearly had exit wounds. I thought she should be bleeding all over because of all the said exit wounds, not mention drowning in her blood if one of her lungs was punctured. Ah well, anime logic!
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 13, 2019 3:04 PM
Oct 2018
She should have died and I really wish she had... She didn't annoyed me that much in this movie expect the part where she didn't died but I feel that if she appears again which will most likely happen if there is a 2nd season then at this point it will really annoy me since her presence in the movie was enough imo and, again, that she should have died.
Dec 15, 2019 3:56 PM

Oct 2013
I think her name: Mary Sue, is a correct one, lol. It's something I thought of as an easter egg, because she is literally like infamous Mary Sue known from our popculture. Overpowered, with special rights (like breaking formations without much consequences) and with strange ability to endure a lot of wounds that should've been fatal.

Her lust for vengeance is the only thing I liked in Mary in this movie. Her beautiful hair was cut off unfortunatelly, but I don't see a reason to have those braids. She could've looked more like a soldier without cutting her hair (vide Viktoriya).
Dec 28, 2019 7:12 AM
Nov 2016
DieuMivas said:
She should have died and I really wish she had... She didn't annoyed me that much in this movie expect the part where she didn't died but I feel that if she appears again which will most likely happen if there is a 2nd season then at this point it will really annoy me since her presence in the movie was enough imo and, again, that she should have died.

She should of died but she is literally blessed by the gods
Dec 29, 2019 3:21 AM
Jun 2009
Don't even know why she was so mad.

Her dad died in a war.

Plus their country was the one invading Tanya's country.

PLUS her dad was the one that kept attacking Tanya while she tried to flee. First time she was doing recon and they decided to chase her down, second time Tanya spared him but he kept chasing, and third time he brought in illegal weapons to chase her down.
Jan 2, 2020 12:29 PM

Mar 2011
Syrehn said:

Bullets also do more than just make a hole in you, they tear up your insides.

Only bullets that are powerful enough tear up your insides. Most pistol calibers don't have enough energy to overcome elasticity of human tissue, especially when shooting FMJ bullets, which waste a lot of their energy by overpenetrating. That's why hollow points were invented: to increase the hole diameter, increase bleeding and allow the bullet to "dump" all it's energy in the target.

Then you have the issue that Tanya is shooting C96, most likely one in 7,62 caliber. 9mm C96 have nice, red "9" on the grip. There is plenty of attention to detail when it comes to guns in this show, so would expect the 9 to be there. Small calibers in pistols tend to perform even worse (that's why 9mm Parabellum became a thing), you need energies achievable only in rifles for such small bullets to have proper effect on humans.

Don't get me wrong, any pistol caliber will f*** you up without proper and swift medical attention, but shot placement (heart or brain) is needed for instant kills. Mary was instantly recovered and i assume her commander took her to field hospital or something.

Then it is established from 2nd episode in the series that Tanya's world has pretty good medical care, she literally survived blowing herself up (books elaborate on that btw, show could have used a line of dialogue tbh).

And then you have it in the name of the character: Mary Sue. The name is not accidental. And she is supposed to be annoying. Assuming continuation will stay somewhat faithful to the books in representing her, you will start wondering why her commander won't just shoot her on the spot.
HyoukaYukikazeJan 2, 2020 12:35 PM
Apr 14, 2020 1:38 AM
Sep 2016
PzKpfw_VI_Tiger said:

I mean, I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be the point. She's meant to be the antithesis of Tanya. Empathetic where Tanya is apathetic. Caring where Tanya is cold. Impulsive where Tanya is calculating. Tanya is meant to be a great soldier, but a terrible person, whereas Mary is supposed to be a great person, but a terrible soldier. And she has gotten called out multiple times by her commanding officer, so the comment about nobody caring is simply false.

Also, you're talking about logic in a show where a godlike being reincarnated a Japanese salaryman into a little girl with magic powers in an alternate WW1 era Earth where said little girl commands a battalion on magic people in the army? Where's your forum post about how illogical it is for Tanya to have exploded several times only to come out unscathed moments later? You honestly shouldn't be searching for logic in such an illogical anime and expect anyone to take you seriously, but if you do, you should at least be consistent so you don't look like a hack.
Apr 24, 2020 1:00 AM

Feb 2015
Mhhh this is perfectly fits the monologue Tanya had with Rerugen, Mary embodies the "human" side of being human specifically her desire to have revenge... The fact that she has Being X's blessing is basically the downside... Frankly speaking, I think she had too much... I found it quite laughable that the number of bullets pierced in her body still couldnt kill her so might as well throw a nuke while you're at it...

I think she'll play more part after the fact of their last encounter. I do hope tho that she's more refined... It'd be a blunder if she as a character, became the same as she is the more she get screentime... since I do not wish a protagonist to be this... childish and unrefined.
Apr 29, 2020 7:43 AM

Jul 2015
She is named Mary Sioux because she is a Mary Sue character and those are usually awful.

Oct 10, 2020 5:05 AM
Jun 2020
Yup, she was annoying as hell.
Nov 6, 2020 12:08 PM
Nov 2020
coolxal said:
Don't even know why she was so mad.

Her dad died in a war.

Plus their country was the one invading Tanya's country.

PLUS her dad was the one that kept attacking Tanya while she tried to flee. First time she was doing recon and they decided to chase her down, second time Tanya spared him but he kept chasing, and third time he brought in illegal weapons to chase her down.

PLUS, she gave away the commonwealth's prisoners to the Russy Federation because they "supposedly had done away with the death sentence." As if being sent to their concentration camp wasn't an death sentence altogether. (Light Novel #6)
Feb 8, 2021 9:45 PM

Mar 2016
I found her point of being really interesting since she basically became a war rival to Tanya, especially being highly gifted at magic.
The main problem though. She was still a rookie...ignoring orders and abandoning formations and somehow even giving Tanya's elite squad (insane training and hours of front line experience) a tough time. She highlighted the fact that her desire for revenge turned her into the demon she swore to destroy (because of course God has to be on her side and against the Empire), even seeming to be more reckless and dangerous than Tanya herself.

While her survival doesn't annoy me per say (gives the looming enemy returning feeling), as stated multiple times by others, the way in which she survives is beyond plot armour bullshit! She should have been at death's door, with a faint glow to indicate Being X was barely keeping her alive until serious medical treatment could be given. She had a knife near-hilt deep between her shoulderblades, shot right in the fucking throat, and several bullets definitely piercing both lungs! She should have been coughing blood and struggling to make a sound, but no. She somehow talks to her CO without an ounce of effort as he carries her away from battle.

Mary Sue by name, Mary Sue by pure fucking bullshit nature! :P
Mar 13, 2021 7:19 AM
Nov 2018
I fucking hated her. Always annoying to see her break formation and because she's believer Being X just overpowers her and almost beats Tanya's ass. Glad Tanya fucked her up in the end though.
Jun 5, 2021 3:42 AM
Star Kitty
Aug 2017
I always saw her character as a direct provocation to our known media culture. She inherits all the stupid power-ups, nonsensical choices and plot armor we are used to see in many sorts of entertainment media, but they are driving it to a point where everyone notices the flaws in her. It's massive exaggeration.
Many people have heroes and protagonists they adore, that inherit all those storywriting "flaws" or "techniques" call it what you like. I think the creators tried to make point about this topic. She is a contrast to Tanya. She is still too powerful just like Tanya, which should not make any sense in this world. She has all the magical power, will and political force on her side, just like our protagonist, but contrary to Tanya with different reasons, different source and another direction, because it is all decided by Tanyas biggest enemy: Being X. Being X has no logic, because he himself decides what logic is to him and so automatically the whole world in which Tanya is forced to live. So if what he calls logic is flawed, everything he formed is flawed just as well. He gave all his power, will and logic to Mary Sioux, which makes her the ultimate MARY SUE, because he decided so! As a person i too find her unbearable and annoying, but as a metaphor or should i call it parody she is an amazing addition to this anime, which in itself has always, from episode 1 on asked a question to the watchers:
'What forms an opinion?'
Jun 7, 2021 12:40 PM
Jul 2018
it was so joyful seeing Tanya curbstomp her

More topics from this board

Poll: » Youjo Senki Movie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Cypress- - May 16, 2019

163 by Devonnius »»
Feb 20, 9:00 PM

» Does anyone actually like Mary Sue?

Pirate8994 - Jan 1, 2022

31 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 25, 11:52 AM

» Really liked the addition of key soviet facts in this movie!

eMITrACk - Jan 2, 2023

6 by adbeaver »»
Jan 23, 6:53 AM

» Is this filler?

Golden_Cheese - Sep 1, 2023

12 by MrBoomTop10Anime »»
Sep 2, 2023 1:49 PM

» Will there be a sequel? -(also will this get a dub?)

awesomeblackman - Jul 5, 2019

19 by Tiffanys »»
Apr 24, 2023 4:50 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.