Forum Settings
Forums

''animes'' ... please stop... singned - Und Grammar Nazi

New
Sep 20, 2019 11:31 PM

Dec 2014
So am I the only one who feels his like walking on legos each time I see someone using plurals for anime? Is anime! Just anime! One anime, two anime... not ANIMES!!! I watch anime... I watched a lot of anime. I finished 300 anime... not ANIMES!!!!
For Heaven sake peoples! Is a Japanese word. Is a word without a plural. There are some words without a plural... Like snow... You don't use snows, right? Or rices. Or nothings. Or ANIMES!!! Is Anime... Just Anime... No matter how many, is just anime... Please stop using the plural... Use just anime. Use it correctly and responsible...

signed - Und Grammar Nazi!!!!!

P.S: I am not sure about or comfortable with ''mangas'' either... but at least that doesn't make me cringe in agony. And sounds possible...
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 20, 2019 11:50 PM

Aug 2014
But you would say cartoons. I guess I'm not bothered because the final s is not pronounced in French anyway
Sep 20, 2019 11:53 PM

Jan 2011
"singned"

Congrats, you just played yourself.
Sep 20, 2019 11:59 PM

Dec 2017
I don't know where you got your "Grammar Nazi" certification from, but they would revoke it immediately if they saw what you just wrote.
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Sep 21, 2019 12:02 AM
we back

Aug 2015
How can someone be a grammar Nazi when they themselves have shit sentence structuring and grammar.

feels his like walking on legos, like the fuck?
Sep 21, 2019 12:10 AM

Nov 2016
You say people saying "mangas" doesn't make you cringe when both manga and anime are Japanese words. Sounds pretty hypocritical.
Sep 21, 2019 12:13 AM
Jan 2013
kronopy said:
Is a Japanese word
japanimation and it's shortened term sure isn't japanese i'll say animes all I want fuck you
gone bai bai
Sep 21, 2019 12:41 AM

Oct 2013
I mean...it's not like they completely misspelled it, just added an 's' at the end....
Sep 21, 2019 2:27 AM

Nov 2016
I don't see the logic behind it if mangas are fine, and also your example of snow doesn't really work since snow just like rain is more about the natural phenomenon and is the sum of the snowflakes and so it isn't quantifiable in literature terms contrary to the snowflakes which just like animes are. Same for rice which is the sum of the grains, they don't have a plural as you mentioned but you can't say neither "a snow" nor "a rice" but "a snowflake" and "a grain of rice"

Also I would expect better from someone calling himself a "grammar nazi"
kronopy said:
So am I the only one who feels his like walking
JoyBoy_316Sep 21, 2019 2:54 AM
Sep 21, 2019 2:30 AM

Jun 2016
I guess we should stop saying "forums" and use "fora" instead if we are to follow the grammar of every foreign language.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 21, 2019 2:36 AM

Nov 2018
Is that really what bothers you? i could not care less about something like that. Get a reality check
Sep 21, 2019 2:37 AM

Dec 2015
How charming, a grammar nazi who doesn't use correct grammar himself.
Sep 21, 2019 5:10 AM

Oct 2010
Is this a deconstruction thread of a grammar nazi? Very uninteresting.
Jan 11, 2020 11:42 PM
Jan 2017

I always think of ""you need to stop with all that animes and mangos" sounds like cereal or something

I don't know why people are getting so defensive here. I said psuedo wrong for most of my life just all my friends are assholes and didn't care to correct me....I said it like sway-do like its a pokemon or something. Plus, I don't think 'animes' would be correct even if it were an english word...

It isn't like you would say "I love all the musics!"
"Stop breathing all my oxygens!!!"

It sounds like a meme
diabolicalxJan 11, 2020 11:54 PM
Jan 11, 2020 11:44 PM
Jan 2017
Theo1899 said:
I guess we should stop saying "forums" and use "fora" instead if we are to follow the grammar of every foreign language.

So, when you have a whole lot of fantasic sushi do you tell your friends "Ah last night we ate all the best shushis in town!"
Jan 11, 2020 11:45 PM
May 2019
I'll call it animes, animu, anime, cartoons, animay, mostly clothed hentai, moving manga, it's all the same.
Jan 12, 2020 12:02 AM

Dec 2015
Singned? Und Grammar Nazi? Some shoddy grammar nazi you are.
Jan 12, 2020 12:10 AM

Sep 2014
kronopy said:
So am I the only one who feels his like walking on legos each time I see someone using plurals for anime? Is anime! Just anime! One anime, two anime... not ANIMES!!! I watch anime... I watched a lot of anime. I finished 300 anime... not ANIMES!!!!
For Heaven sake peoples! Is a Japanese word. Is a word without a plural. There are some words without a plural... Like snow... You don't use snows, right? Or rices. Or nothings. Or ANIMES!!! Is Anime... Just Anime... No matter how many, is just anime... Please stop using the plural... Use just anime. Use it correctly and responsible...

signed - Und Grammar Nazi!!!!!

P.S: I am not sure about or comfortable with ''mangas'' either... but at least that doesn't make me cringe in agony. And sounds possible...

Dude your grammar is garbage, you are no grammar nazi. I can tell that shit and I'm not even a native speaker. Work on your English before throwing a fit about people making a small mistake.
Jan 12, 2020 12:15 AM

Feb 2019
"What is in the name?"that's what shakespeare said.
Jan 12, 2020 12:18 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
It’s “anime” and “manga”, singular and plural.

If you feel inclined to use “animes” and/or “mangas” however, be my guest.

I don’t see how this is so very bothersome as long as the point is valid and understandable.

Simple as that, you don’t need certification from anywhere to get this across.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 12, 2020 12:18 AM
Jan 2017
A better example of a similar word would be "series", which has the same form in both singular and plural. Snow is a phenomenon of nature(and is uncountable) and rice means many of those grains together(which is also uncountable). So one says, "I eat rice". There's no "a rice" or "two rice". It's just rice. On the other hand, anime and series can be an/a and the. They are both countable but retain the same form in singular and plural.
I am not sure what "Grammar Nazi" should mean but I don't find it appropriate to use it as a joke.
Jan 12, 2020 12:34 AM

May 2019
"please stop"
No thank you.
Jan 12, 2020 4:06 AM

Oct 2013
I like animes. Come and fight me
I will not stop saying it because some people are not cool with it
Jan 12, 2020 4:09 AM

Aug 2018
Was gonna say something, but tbh, the op is too adorable.
Jan 12, 2020 4:09 AM

Dec 2017
you people and your animay, might aswell call it Japanimation, or eastern cartoon while at it
Jan 12, 2020 4:15 AM

Jun 2016
Und = and
Ein = a
t. ein grammatisch Nazi
or I guess Sprachpolizei would be more correct
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 12, 2020 6:09 AM

Jun 2016
Are we literally brain dead yet??? Oh well I guess English isn't your native tongue right pal???
Jan 12, 2020 6:24 AM

Sep 2017
"Anime" is a noun, and nouns get a -s when they're in the plural, so it perfectly logic to write "animes" instead of "anime"

Plus as a French it's really disturbing not to see an -s at the end of a word in the plural (I already struggled for a few years to understand adjectives don't take an -s when they're in the plural as well)
Jan 12, 2020 6:24 AM

Nov 2011
I love animes. Everyday I watch animes.

Jan 12, 2020 7:51 AM
Aug 2019
CHAMPIONOFDEATH said:
How can someone be a grammar Nazi when they themselves have shit sentence structuring and grammar.

feels his like walking on legos, like the fuck?

He guarded the entrance to the Wal Mart stalag
Jan 13, 2020 1:42 PM

Aug 2013
Ok Boomer. I'm gonna say Animus from now on.
Jan 14, 2020 12:16 AM

Jul 2019
Ah, yes, truly a real grammar nazi. Doesn't even use proper grammar, but I still do get the point.
Jan 14, 2020 12:59 AM

May 2018
"So am I the only one who feels his like walking on legos each time I see someone using plurals for anime?"

One more reason to use animes than.
Also shounens, seinens, shojos, joseis and kodomos.

Why do you even care?
alshuJan 14, 2020 2:32 AM
Jan 14, 2020 2:12 AM

May 2009
KamisamaHatatan said:
Ok Boomer. I'm gonna say Animus from now on.
amines and mangos

or mangú if you prefer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mang%C3%BA
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 14, 2020 11:14 AM

Nov 2008
Lol I f*cking hate it. xD It sounds and LOOKS really stupid. When my friends do it, I correct them and they get mad :'D

"Anime" is a noun, and nouns get a -s when they're in the plural, so it perfectly logic to write "animes" instead of "anime"

@Themousen
Wrong. 'Anime' is derived from 'animation' and the plural of 'animation' is 'animation'. Not 'animations'.

Jan 14, 2020 1:37 PM

Sep 2017
Chiibi said:
Lol I f*cking hate it. xD It sounds and LOOKS really stupid. When my friends do it, I correct them and they get mad :'D

@Themousen
Wrong. 'Anime' is derived from 'animation' and the plural of 'animation' is 'animation'. Not 'animations'.

I'll then use the "different nationality/language" trump card and argue it's perfectly correct in my language, so I'll keep saying animes (and I'll be pleased each time it'll trigger someone)
Jan 14, 2020 1:41 PM
Apr 2016
Which is why I am of a higher consciousness than the rest. I nullify this controversy altogether by simply referring to the subject as "the Japanese animation". How gracious.
Re:formed
Jan 14, 2020 2:07 PM
Jul 2018
kronopy said:
So am I the only one who feels his like walking on legos each time I see someone using plurals for anime?

The real question here is: Is it lego or legos? I never used the plural and it somehow makes me cringe in agony. Even if I don't which one is wrong or if you could use both versions. It sounds so wrong.
Jan 14, 2020 2:09 PM

Nov 2008
Themousen said:
Chiibi said:

@Themousen

I'll then use the "different nationality/language" trump card and argue it's perfectly correct in my language, so I'll keep saying animes (and I'll be pleased each time it'll trigger someone)

Fine, it's your right to keep sounding like an idiot. :)

Jan 14, 2020 2:15 PM

Sep 2014
Themousen said:
Chiibi said:

@Themousen

As someone who also speak French I want to pull my hair when someone write fucking "animés". This is so disturbing I hate it.

The thing is that if the word is straightforwardly borrowed from another language it should be in italic and it conserves the same grammar of the original language it's coming from. Anime is not a official word in French or English for the matter so it should be written anime in singular or in plural. As long as the word isn't officially added to the dictionary it should never get a "s" for its plural.
Jan 14, 2020 2:17 PM

Sep 2017
Chiibi said:
Themousen said:

At least that seems to amuse you, we're both winners then

Hrybami said:
Themousen said:

As someone who also speak French I want to pull my hair when someone write fucking "animés". This is so disturbing I hate it.

The thing is that if the word is straightforwardly borrowed from another language it should be in italic and it conserves the same grammar of the original language it's coming from. Anime is not a official word in French or English for the matter so it should be written anime in singular or in plural. As long as the word isn't officially added to the dictionary it should never get a "s" for its plural.

Animés with an accent aigu is quite disturbing indeed, I think it's because it comes from "dessin animé"
But eh, everyone can write it the way they want to, tant pis si ça sonne faux aux yeux de certains. S'il n'y a pas d'orthographe officielle (vu que le mot n'est dans aucun dictionnaire), alors il ne peut pas y en avoir de mauvaise non plus
DamuzenJan 14, 2020 2:21 PM
Jan 14, 2020 2:27 PM

Sep 2014
Themousen said:
Chiibi said:

Hrybami said:

Animés with an accent aigu is quite disturbing indeed, I think it's because it comes from "dessin animé"
But eh, everyone can write it the way they want to, tant pis si ça sonne faux aux yeux de certains. S'il n'y a pas d'orthographe officielle (vu que le mot n'est dans aucun dictionnaire), alors il ne peut pas y en avoir de mauvaise non plus

Are you sure about that? Anime is the romaji form of the word アニメ. It's exactly a japanese word and in Japanese, you never add a "s" for their plural words. However, I might find the word "animes" annoying, people still can write it that way if they want. There are worst spelling error than that I think.

And yes, animés is irritating and I will disallow anyone for writing this.
Jan 14, 2020 2:31 PM

Nov 2018
To quote a wise Jedi, you have become the very thing you swore to destroy.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jan 14, 2020 2:38 PM

May 2014
It does sound very off when someone says "Animays", but if people want to say that i won't argue with them. I can say i've never heard an anime character use that word when referring to multiple anime though.
Jan 14, 2020 2:42 PM

Sep 2017
Hrybami said:
Themousen said:

Are you sure about that? Anime is the romaji form of the word アニメ. It's exactly a japanese word and in Japanese, you never add a "s" for their plural words. However, I might find the word "animes" annoying, people still can write it that way if they want. There are worst spelling error than that I think.

Well, that works in Japanese but not in English or French
We add a -s to words like kimono, tatami or tsunami, so why not doing the same thing for animes ?
The word itself sounds really western too, it's almost logical to write it this way (or at least it shouldn't be that surprising)
Jan 14, 2020 2:43 PM

Jan 2009
im bad with english grammar anyway so im fine with them making mistakes about it
Jan 14, 2020 2:45 PM

Sep 2014
Themousen said:
Hrybami said:

We add a -s to words like kimono, tatami or tsunami, so why not doing the same thing for animes ?
The word itself sounds really western too, it's almost logical to write it this way (or at least it shouldn't be that surprising)

Yes it shouldn't be surprised. It's just a matter if the word is in the dictionary. If it is, then it should be written "animes" and if it is not it should be written anime without an -s. Other Japanese word entered our dictionaries that's why they can be written with an -s.
Jan 14, 2020 2:51 PM

Nov 2008
Themousen said:

Who adds 's' to those words? Lol nobody I know...that's for sure. Adding an 's' to any Japanese word is incorrect, if we're going down this road...

Jan 14, 2020 2:53 PM

Sep 2017
Hrybami said:
Themousen said:

Yes it shouldn't be surprised. It's just a matter if the word is in the dictionary. If it is, then it should be written "animes" and if it is not it should be written anime without an -s. Other Japanese word entered our dictionaries that's why they can be written with an -s.

Isn't it a little absurd to rule "animes" is a misspelling just because it isn't in the dictionnary yet ?
If it's officialized later, its spelling won't change, only its status. So, something stated as wrong just becomes right with a simple snap of the fingers ? It sounds very futile when we think about it

Plus if we only focus on the dictionnary point, there are some words that aren't recognized (yet) by the dictionnaries but are still widely used, like "chronophage", "dangerosité", "inatteignable" or "gratifiant"
Does that make them meaningless ?

Chiibi said:
Themousen said:

Who adds 's' to those words? Lol nobody I know...that's for sure. Adding an 's' to any Japanese word is incorrect, if we're going down this road...

Maybe something like 235 million people ? It's widely used in my language and isn't considered as a spelling mistake
DamuzenJan 14, 2020 2:57 PM
Jan 14, 2020 2:54 PM

Apr 2018
I love the irony of the OP labeling themselves a "Grammar Nazi" while making a shitload of spelling mistakes like "singned".

Also iirc, "Und" is German for "and", not "a".
Stygian_PrisonerJan 14, 2020 3:01 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

12 by FanofAction »»
4 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

46 by Nemo_Niemand »»
5 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
9 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

33 by Hitagi__Furude »»
20 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.