Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Sep 18, 2019 5:59 PM

Oct 2009
A little cheesy, a little silly, a little imperfect here and there - but despite that, I really loved it. (I mean, how many crowd favourite Hollywood movies aren't like this?) It just fit well with the tone of the rest, which I think is the most important. Nothing like a pointless twist at the end for no good reason that sticks out like a sore thumb to ruin an entire anime, so thankfully that didn't happen here. The questionable coincidences, the questionable science and society details - I mean, we're not watching Star Trek here, personally I don't think those are issues that shouldn't/can't be overlooked. And the humour is very much in line as well, basically what we've gotten used to. Some things were still dealt with really quickly, if not altogether off-screen, even with the double length finale. But the ending made up for it, a "post story" timeskip that only serves as a parting shot being so detailed and lengthy is not really common, so I definitely appreciated that. Overall, a very fitting last episode for the series.
Sep 18, 2019 6:05 PM
Feb 2016
Is soo good when you feel the story had a start and a true ending, its hard to find other good animes with this, even been a sugar final, made me very happy.
8/10 for the anime
Sep 18, 2019 6:18 PM

Feb 2017
this whole anime was such a fun watch! and i felt that this last episode wrapped everything up perfectly. for a change i'm actually satisfied with the ending of an anime. god i'll miss watching this a lot

placeholder text
Sep 18, 2019 6:31 PM

Jul 2014
I was curious about what Yunhua's singing since the lyrics kinda sounded like she's talking about her friends, I checked the manga out and this was literally part of the lyrics she was singing.

Sep 18, 2019 6:33 PM
Overthinker

Jun 2017
I still wanted them to give an explaination for the convience of the ship. Several times it was brought up how convient it was for there to be a ship in the series itself. I figured we would get an answer. Doesn't stop me from giving it high marks though. It's has fun characters, great style, an interesting twist, nice mix of comedy & drama. That by itself would have given it an 8 (for me a 7 is average), but the science elements and being a complete story pushed me to making it a 10. I want more series to tell a whole story. This doesn't need more seasons or even a sequel. Also my favorite animes (Index & Dr. Stone) usually got science to them. Best of luck to the mangaka to make more amazing things in the future. Only wish more people saw it.
ricksedSep 18, 2019 6:37 PM
Sep 18, 2019 6:42 PM

Jun 2017
This was a good ending to an unexpectedly great anime. The "happy endings" felt a little too predictable and, in some cases unbelievable, but overall I am pleased with how the story turned out.
Sep 18, 2019 6:47 PM

Dec 2015
I'd rather have a 24 minutes episode with an ending that's open for imagination. the last 24 minutes feels wayyyy too forced.

Still an amazing anime overall, strong contender for anime of the season, 9/10.
Sep 18, 2019 7:02 PM

Jan 2011
surprised how perfectly this ended honestly was expecting a less happy -everything worked out in the end kind of ending with the fact you're telling a whole planet their lives have been hidden by a huge lie

this show took a lot of suspension of disbelief at times but remained pretty darn enjoyable

everyone didn't change too much they all got better looking however Quitterie Took the L with that hairstyle you'd think with being a model she'd stand out more but that hair is lacking !

sad to see them all go in the end but i can't really ask for more after how much this ending wrapped up stuff.

flat 8/10 wasn't perfect but it was interesting
Sep 18, 2019 7:05 PM
May 2016
Well the ending ruined it for me, the global pact to hide the real past was just too dumb and everything working out was just way too convenient.
Sep 18, 2019 7:43 PM

Dec 2014
Wholesome ending, this is the kind of endings we need more of. <3
I really don't have much to add regarding the episode itself, they tied up the plot points I was most curious about - the 100 year time difference.

I was grinning as the kids got back to Astra and huddled together to celebrate and post return events plus time skip events were wholesome.

Hayami Saori singing? <3

Overall, I really liked this show. Sure, the plot worked out in convenient ways. Sure, things were over the top and totally not realistic and sure the show did need you to look over things and suspend your belief but I think despite everything one could take issue with this show, it had heart. The classic shounen themes really resonated in the show, the way the kids found their place to belong, overcame so many obstacles together, the camaraderie that fostered among them was all very endearing to watch. Kanata's whole always charge forward, despite all it's recklessness always made me smile and as he puts it in his own book. You've gotta see the world with your own eyes and make your dreams come true. I guess I'm just a sucker for Shounen but yeah, this show was right up my alley and I enjoyed every moment of it.

8/10
Sep 18, 2019 7:49 PM

Jul 2012
A good end to a good series. 9/10.

Also, they always mentioned how convenient it is to have an abandoned ship just lying above McPa. I don't remember any explanation about this. I thought this is getting an explanation when Ulgar talked to his father (or original), but he seem to just rant about it. Am I missing something?
Sep 18, 2019 7:53 PM
Jan 2019
overall the story was well entertaining but the plot is somewhat missing
I have scene I want to see but I guess it all ends here
7/10
Sep 18, 2019 7:55 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
first impressions wise, i was SURE this was gonna be a 6.0 here on MAL

good thing i was wrong lol
Sep 18, 2019 8:06 PM

Dec 2016
And thus one of the most overhyped mango adaptations of the season finally gets to it's most mindnumbing exposition dump finale with more unnecesary flashbacks.

Even in it's final moments the lame dad jokes keep ruining the mood in the most dire moments of this fanfic lvl story.

So all it takes to take to put a man jail is one email with no actual evidence that he commited a crime? and yet the author went for the most convoluted Rube Goldberg scheme to get rid of the clones rather than take them down silently one by one on earth with old fashioned kidnaps and or just common vehicle accidents. Heck, they even mentioned that during the period of transition to the new plant Astra, lots of people used the wormhole tech to get rich quick, why didn't they use the same wormhole tech back in Astra to jetisson each individual clone into space if the huge secret of the migration also hid the secret of whormhole tech that only and handful of big fat cats knew about it? And as some people had been mentioning in the past few discussions, if they had FTL tech and the tech to create wormholes before the asteriod finally hit earth, why didn't they use the wormhole to move the asteroid out of collision route with earth or at the very least chunk it bit by bit with tiny wormholes?

The epilogue feels like something out of a kids show in nickelodeon, Kanata gets rich by writing a book about their travel and Charce becomes the king of Vixia despite being "the smoking gun" of all the original behind the whole assassination plot (the only thing missing would have been Zack becoming a millionare with bitcoin or on the trade exchange). Yeah, I don't think any actual goverment would take for a king someone that went thru psychologic torture during his teen years and was meant to become a suicide soldier for the sake of his old king. And speaking of Charce. there's also something bugging me, if he met/knew Aries when she was a newly born and he was in his teen years, he should have been at least in his mid/late 20s back in present time at the beginning of the story, yet he doesn't look at all like an adult.

Aries is another part of the puzzle that just doesn't fit in this whole consipiracy. The rest of the characters have at least one person that want to make them dissapear. But Aries was kept underground all this time, why was she tangled into this whole scheme? it couldn't have been the king of Vixia, since he loved his daughter.

If only the author of this pseudo-story had known how to weave a believeable story rather than this kid's fanfic filled with plotholes and convenient writing.

Such a shame that Masaoumi Ando had to put his name in this title, I still don't see any of his previous talents as director in this show, like his manga-like paneling presentations that he did in Scum's Wish or the beautiful panoramic views from Hakumei to Mikochi or the raw emotions from White Album 2.
KimurahSep 18, 2019 9:13 PM
Sep 18, 2019 8:09 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Out of everything that I watched this season, this was probably the one show that I enjoyed the most apart from Vinland Saga

Solid 9/10 and its easily the most underrated show from this season
Sep 18, 2019 8:40 PM
Oct 2012
Waaa! I am so happy with this beautiful ending! For me it was a magnificent work from beginning to end. I identified a lot with the characters. The engaging plot, the growth of all, the mysteries ... Every little detail made me love this show!

Ruca was very cute with the passage of time.

Sep 18, 2019 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
Charce was never a favorite but that thing he calls a laugh won me over lol
show wasn't perfect but it was a great adventure and beautiful ending. love the little things like security guard low-key congratulating Aries marriage announcement lol
9/10 from me
Sep 18, 2019 9:19 PM

Mar 2017
Definitely one of the best anime this season. It's very underrated, more people should watch this! a 11/10 from me
Sep 18, 2019 9:20 PM
Mar 2015
They get back and all live happily ever after even though their existence is illegal
Sep 18, 2019 9:32 PM
Mar 2014
What a Beautiful and very well done ending.

Really wish other anime got the same love as this one got to end a series properly.

I noticed this was a 2 in 1 episode it was 40+ minutes long instead of the usual 20+ min
Sep 18, 2019 9:38 PM
Mar 2014
CelestianSeven said:
This was a good ending to an unexpectedly great anime.

Same here, when I first picked up the series, I was not very sure which direction it was going, it took a few episodes to settle in.

Once the mystery started to unfold that became more and more interesting. Basically the 2nd half of the anime became really good.

A good Detective / Space Exploration anime... definitely it was not your typical space warfare hero type stories.

But the ending, wow, they really outdone themselves, I really liked the details and how they went on with their life part, which is so missing from many other animes.
Sep 18, 2019 9:47 PM

Nov 2011
Kanata was hands down one of the best characters this season. My freaking boy!

Honestly I would put Ulgar as second best character imo I liked him a lot.

I loved this aime, it literally gives you everything. Action, COmedy, Romance, SOL. Animation and art were spot on. Story was good.

10/10 I want that score higher.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Sep 18, 2019 9:54 PM

Jul 2016
Well, it seems I'm of the minority here.

First of all, I was honestly really interested in this series when it was first announced. I didn't know about the manga nor the plot so I was expecting some kind of space survival story and just that. That said, it was obvious that the whole conspiracy plot took me completely off guard.
I was a bit disappointed at first but then I thought that if the actual plot was consistent and well written, I wouldn't mind this new course of action... and then, the plot conveniences, the inconsistent storytelling and this "way too optimistic for my taste" ending arrived. And though I like and tend to prefer happy endings, this one was way too cheesy, even for my standards.

The cast didn't make this experience any less unbearable, by the way. Leaving aside some characters I found extremely annoying, the rest were quite "meh". No one made me feel some sort of empathy to the point that Ulgar could have shot Luca in the head or Charce could have killed them all with the wormhole and I wouldn't even have raised an eyebrow.

As a whole, this series had a quite decent first episode (atrocious comedy aside) but the way the overall story developed from there was really mediocre. The critical moments were lacking of all impact since we knew everything would be alright in the end and most of the plot twists ended up feeling quite underwhelming due to the heavy exposition they received barely minutes before them being revealed.
Honestly, if this series would have been simpler, with just the premise of a bunch of kids trying to survive in space leaving aside such pretentious writing, I surely would have liked it way more than the actual thing.

3/10 - Easily, my biggest disappointment of this season.

====================================================================

Kimurah said:
And speaking of Charce. there's also something bugging me, if he met/knew Aries when she was a newly born and he was in his teen years, he should have been at least in his mid/late 20s back in present time at the beginning of the story, yet he doesn't look at all like an adult.

Actually, there was an scene in the previous episode showing both him and Aries as newborns so yes, they're the same age.

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1801254&show=0#msg58352137

Kimurah said:
Aries is another part of the puzzle that just doesn't fit in this whole consipiracy. The rest of the characters have at least one person that want to make them dissapear. But Aries was kept underground all this time, why was she tangled into this whole scheme? it couldn't have been the king of Vixia, since he loved his daughter.

Maybe someone who actually read and enjoyed the manga can give you a more complete answer but if I remember correctly, the only piece of info the anime gave was in the previous episode as well and it was just an speculation that maybe the "enemy faction" that killed Seira found out about the existence of Aries and somehow arranged her participation in the space trip.
... my God, top quality writing right there.
SouthRzVaSep 18, 2019 11:51 PM
Sep 18, 2019 10:11 PM

Aug 2018
I let this series pause in week 2, I decided to catch up today to catch the final episode. Considering that this series is more dedicated to the bonds of friendship and companionship, it does not surprise me how the progression of the story was handled. If I had a more serious tone it would have been an even better experience and it could have been a series that I liked more, but hey, this story didn't go that way.

Series quite trained to see (after the rare impression left by some of the initial chapters), and a pretty hopeful and beautiful ending. 7/10
Sep 18, 2019 10:20 PM

Dec 2018
sammyk124 said:
I don't know about anyone else but wow, what a goddamn finale, I was genuinely crying happy tears for these kids.

I was one of the fans of this show that despite seeing how it's flawed, rather saw that this show was wholesome and heart-warming as hell. This ending couldn't have been more perfect in my opinion, it was just so satisfying!

Zack and Quitterie get married, so do Aries and Kanata, Ulgar becomes a journalist, Yunhua becomes a famous singer, Charce becomes king, Kanata and Zack get to pilot the ship Kanata bought back from a museum through the selling of his hit novel, and everyone just lives happily ever after. As cliche and cheesy as it sounds, I love that we got an ending like this. Having the show end on bad terms would've ruined the whole show. But this finale made it seem like we truly embarked on a 12-week journey with these kids, witnessing them grow closer and overcome the hardships they faced.

The bit where they went over all the memories they made and which was their favourite truly brought tears to my eyes too, even them mentioning that Kanata saved a number of their lives with the same arm he eventually lost was just way too touching. I'm so happy about the bonds they created and the time they spent together. Seeing them all together and still happy 7 years later was just the cherry on top.

I really loved this show, please tell me there are others who loved this show to bits like I did!. I'm going to miss watching this every week. Great characters with an entertaining story, crisp animation and solid directing. A true hidden gem of this season!!
I agree, this was such a well thought out ending for all the characters and I couldn't help but shed tears when they reminisced all the high moments they went through.

In the last part when Yunhua started singing and everyone was determined to reach their unknown destinations in the future gave me goosebumps, more tears and most importantly the determination for me to reach my goals..... If any show is capable of this then that said show has truly done what it set out to do, and I'm so glad that I sticked with this to the end.

That said I was one of the people that felt betrayed after the first episode, because I thought that the show didn't keep it's intensity from the first episode. Now looking back I feel stupid cause if it wasn't for the singular character focused, fun, power of friendship and kanata's running this last few episodes would never have had such a amazing impact.

In one of the previous threads I posted asking manga people how is this going to be a masterpiece. Now I see.

..........PER ASPERA AD ASTRA
Aries : "Overcome hardships to reach what's beyond"
(I love BnHA, so..)
Sarani mu koe! PLUS ULTRA!
Go beyond! PLUS ULTRA!.............They litteraly share the same theme. I ain't forgetting this show.
Sep 18, 2019 10:29 PM
Jan 2019
What a great ending, I finished watching the episode with tears in my eyes, I'm more than satisfied. Without a doubt, it is and I consider it one of the best anime of the season, of the year, and one of the best I've seen in my life. Kanata no Astra impressed me with each episode, the emotion was indescribable, far exceeded my expectations. It is a true jewel. The author is a genius, and if he could, I would thank him for this incredible story. A wonderful adventure that I hope to never forget, will always have a special place in my heart, has left me many lessons. I say goodbye with a great love for this series and its characters, and I take a pleasant memory. What if it was worth it? It was worth every blessed second :). In a word, "fascinating." It was a great pleasure to see this anime together. 😁

Ps: I already discovered the Lost Century of Kanata no Astra, now I just need to know the truth of the Lost Century of One Piece.
Sep 18, 2019 10:51 PM

Aug 2008
Good shit. I love sci-fi and adventure. Took quite a bit of inspiration from Star Trek, among other things. The plot was interesting, and I'm pretty happy with the tone it ended on (Basically everyone lived, the main pairings stuck, and Kanata gets to go off into space, as he said he wanted to do earlier on).

Now, I won't lie, I was bracing for some more resistance from the Government and such about Kanata's group exposing the truth. I think the author wanted to keep the tone of the story on the lighter side, but it worked out fine cuz I was entertained; In between the adventuring and the comedy every now and then, the story is best described as a space adventure, not quite the thriller or such, despite the slowly unraveling truth behind the actual setting.

Lerche did a brilliant job with the animation quality. The worlds were vibrant, space was cool, the tech was interesting, and it felt great seeing them overcome the hurdles as they came. Kanata was pretty badass.
Sep 18, 2019 11:06 PM

Jul 2012
ManlyTear said:
sammyk124 said:

I totally agree, everyone ended up looking either super hot or gorgeous and then there's Quitterie who looks like a middle-aged mom.

It's mostly a bad choice of hairstyle IMO. If she changes that, everything's all gucci.
She looks like Hillary Clinton or the politician woman from Carole&Tue LOL
Her lil sis turned out cuter :")
Sep 18, 2019 11:08 PM

Jul 2014
Well, this was a really fun adventure. My only silly complaint would be not having seen any romantic moment between Kanata and Aries :'(

Aries best girl!!!!! I'm gonna miss the seagull girl.
Sep 18, 2019 11:10 PM

Dec 2015
The unrealistic portrayal of humanity and civilization in this anime is one of the biggest reasons I can't justify a higher score even though overall it was enjoyable. They make far too many conveniences like "everyone went along with it" regarding the entire resetting of world history and just abandoning tribalism and natural human tendencies. Again, I enjoyed this anime overall, and I can suspend my disbelief to accept the inconsistencies and stretches they make plot and science-wise, but they pushed too much in the realm of human nature that it just became completely ridiculous. Maybe this is why so many stories with similar "world government" type themes never seem to explain how it came to that point and just expect you to accept the current setting because establishing a history for how that could happen is too complicated and would require too many leaps of logic to accomplish.
Sep 18, 2019 11:43 PM
Jul 2017
Best. Anime. Finale. Ever. There I said it. I don't care if anyone disagree. I love this ending. I love the whole anime in general. To think I wasn't going to watch it in the first place because it didn't seem like my kinda thing but I saw so much praise it got and started watching it. I love every bit of this anime. The characters, the story, and all the plot twists (and there was so much plot twist that I started calling the anime, Plot Twist the Anime: In Space). The characters was the best part of the anime. I don't have a favorite character because it kept changing. Even my ships got cannon at the end (except for one but I was expecting to be). The ending was so satisfying. Everyone got their happy ending. To me that is perfect. Also I can't stop crying from happiness that the ending was. This anime is a 10/10 from me and the best summer anime this year (until I see the the Given finale tomorrow, then I will see which I like better).
Tigergirl16Sep 19, 2019 1:21 PM
Sep 18, 2019 11:49 PM

Aug 2013
amazing anime, enjoyed it alot 9/10
Sep 18, 2019 11:49 PM

Dec 2015
Can someone explain who the imaginary personage Kanata nodded to at the end as they entered the ship? Who was that supposed to be? It looked like Charce but clearly wasn't.
Sep 18, 2019 11:55 PM

Apr 2015
Waste of a good potential to be honest, but the manga is already wrote what else they can do! I liked the anime but not like the most who are saying it was a masterpiece ending or phenomenal anime and stuffs like that. Pretty fun to watch and good ending imo, a little bit rushed but ok!

Sep 18, 2019 11:56 PM

Jul 2016
Hylianticipated said:
Can someone explain who the imaginary personage Kanata nodded to at the end as they entered the ship? Who was that supposed to be? It looked like Charce but clearly wasn't.

Wasn't he his mentor/teacher/sensei? The guy who fell off the cliff and died in the excursion Kanata made when he was a kid.
Sep 19, 2019 12:16 AM

Dec 2015
SouthRzVa said:
Hylianticipated said:

Wasn't he his mentor/teacher/sensei? The guy who fell off the cliff and died in the excursion Kanata made when he was a kid.

OH I think you're right. Not sure how I forgot that. Although I guess we only saw him for like 10 frames all season lol. Thanks!
Sep 19, 2019 12:22 AM

Nov 2010
I love happy endings and endings that don't leave anything to open, but this was almost too sweet for me. At points I was expecting world goverment's spaceships trying to shoot them down, the originals try sth etc. But still- I can't hate the happy ending.

This was rly refreshing show for me, I didn't have lot of expectations I almost skipped checking it out all together. But it ended up being anime of the season for me, sth i'd have to check out as soon it come out- and avoid spoilers at all cost (damn some plp)!
Sep 19, 2019 12:55 AM
Nov 2018
This was a very entertaining anime, and I would recommend it. A good adventure story.

The only thing that was bad in this last episode was that they went and arrested the originals, including a senator and the king, based on a transmission from space. Without the ship having even landed yet. Talk about getting things over with quickly.

Aside from that, it was a nice ending. Nice to see how they grow up. I wish he could have gotten an arm that wasn't so robotic, but maybe he liked it that way. There is always a use for earpicks and arm missiles. Nice to see how they all stay friends.

And yes, of course it would be hard to erase the memory of the move from one planet to another, but that's the premise, I accept it.

Overall this anime leaves me with a pleasant feeling and I'm glad I watched it.
Sep 19, 2019 12:58 AM

Mar 2010
kanata arm is the real MVP. This anime gave me the tinest hope for our world
Sep 19, 2019 1:23 AM

Feb 2017
I feel everything got wrapped up too quickly, too conveniently and cleanly in the end. I don't have problem with happy endings but the way it was done here didn't really satisfy me. All those epilogue scenes felt bit forced to me.

I also think 100 years is too little to be completely believable. I think more time should have passed for history to be erased and society reforms on that level. I guess it could maybe be possible with their tech and propaganda, but the way they explained it doesn't seem believable. It also creates some other problems with the world too.

Characters and dialogue were weak I must say. But overall I did enjoy the show and mystery aspect of it.
6/10
Sep 19, 2019 1:27 AM

Oct 2010
Some people are actually knocking this show for being unrealistic or having too many coincidences, where the entire show is based around things like wormholes, hyper-speed space travel, etc. etc. You gotta have some priorities here, this shit isn't supposed to be taken as hard science fiction.

My biggest problem with this show is the dog hand puppet which was never explained at all. Sure everything else was insanely convenient and the ending way too rosy but still I liked the characters and art enough to keep it a solid 7-8.
Sep 19, 2019 1:43 AM

Apr 2011
Rushed ending like usual, still giving it a 8/10 since it's due to what they could make out of a 12 episodes anime.

Wished there was more to it but I guess they stayed pretty much loyal to the manga as an adaptation.
Sep 19, 2019 2:09 AM

Oct 2016
>Luca: "Stop being mean."
I think Charce has earned a few insults, Luca.
>Ulgar: "And if he brings out another sphere?"
>Kanata: "Then he can take my left arm too!"
I can't stand this crap. You're not gonna lose a limb and be all forgiving so soon. I mean, it is mostly Kanata's fault for sticking his arm out like an idiot. I guess what I'm trying to say is Kanata's a stupid character either way.
>"Who knew those tentacles would come in use?"
What did we miss out on?
>Charce has a funny laugh too.
zomg such le epic quirky character trait xD
-Why was everyone so surprised when Charce confirmed that history was rewritten? It seemed obvious at this point.
-The time rollback was kind of obvious from a viewers POV, but it's still a cool concept nonetheless.
>Sergeant Pepper
Nice try anime, but you're not gonna win me over with a Beetles reference.
-Ulgar talking to his original was a nice touch, and fun fact, it seems to be anime-original. I also like their timeskip versions. Most of them are looking pretty good!
>"He asked Charce if he could marry his daughter".
Now that just sounds weird.
And so, "Kanata No Astra"/"Astra: Lost In Space" comes to an end.
For me, it was alright. 6 is the highest and lowest I can give it. To me, it hardly deserves a 6, but I can't give it anything lower. Some pros were the "whodunnit" aspect, the big mysteries, and the final 1/3 (for the most part). Whereas the cons were pretty much everything else. Easily one of my least favorite cast of characters.
I was also just extremely disappointed. I was hoping for a space survival with actual consequences. The only real consequence for the protagonists was Kanata's arm, which was lost in a stupid way, and brushed off in the name of friendship. I'm actually shocked this show managed to pass the 8.00 mark. There were way too many holes. Just to name a few, "How did they manage to construct 10,000 wormholes, but not manage to change the directory of an asteroid?" Or "How did they erase history, religion, etc. that billions of people had held onto without some kind of founding titan ability?" But people seem to be looking over these major flaws.
At the same time, I enjoyed it to a degree. This reminds me of my experience with Darling In The Franxx. I think both are garbage, but I can't give them anything lower than a 6, because of some of the things they did right. Similarly to Darling In The Franxx, I think this anime's score is going to decline after more people pick it up, binge it, and realize it's nowhere near as good due to the lack of something (cliffhangers In this show's case, hype community for Darling In The Franxx' case).
It was a fun ride, and I enjoyed participating in these discussions.
I also recommend you guys check out the anime/manga that apparently inspired this one. It's called "11-Nin Iru!"/"They Were 11". It did some things better, a few worse. I gave it a 6 too, but overall I'd say it was better than this, though still, nothing great. I think if you enjoyed Kanata No Astra, you'll enjoy 11-Nin Iru. Also, in the manga of 11-Nin Iru, they make a similar expression on their face that's used in this show. You may recognize it!

Nurguburu said:
I had such high hopes for Kanata no Astra after the one hour-long episode but it went downhill quickly. Full of annoying coincidences, forced drama, plot holes, stupid characters and plot armor to everyone and the ship. And the lack of tension was the most annoying thing.

The plot twistes make sense but they're pretty random and silly for no reason. I mean, for example how can I believe Charce's medieval kingdom backstory in a futuristic show? It takes me out of the immersion in a bad way. And the one-dimensional king makes it worse. The only plot twist that fit well was the whole story about Paulina and her origin. It was better than the entire show, sadly it was short-lived.

The premise and setting is very interesting but the actual writing and execution leaves a lot to be desired. Excessive number of characters for 12 episodes.

Overrated as fuck.

3/10 for the anime.

>I had such high hopes for Kanata no Astra after the one hour-long episode but it went downhill quickly. Full of annoying coincidences, forced drama, plot holes, stupid characters and plot armor to everyone and the ship. And the lack of tension was the most annoying thing.
>The premise and setting is very interesting but the actual writing and execution leaves a lot to be desired. Excessive number of characters for 12 episodes.
>Overrated as fuck.
I agree with all this. Like I say in my post, I think the score will lower over time. People who binge it will realize it's not as good as it's made out to be. I think 3's a bit harsh, but to each his own.

TheDeedsOfMen said:
So here's the question: why establish new royalty?

If they went as far as banning nationality and religion, you'd think royalty and nobility would be near the top of the "to be eliminated" list too, especially if they carry actual power. Remember, the people of Astra are not supposed to be ultraconservative reactionary monarchists. It makes especially little sense in this case because this royal family didn't exist before the exodus. Simple inaction would suffice. Nobody would miss them because they would never have existed before.

It is also strange that the king of the world has absolute power within a single district but almost none beyond it. Seems arbitrary. Bonus points for handing it to some corporate executive. Just why? Aren't there more pragmatic rewards to hand out?

Other notes:

A literally global conspiracy is pretty outrageous. The Illuminati need to take notes.

Also, hate to beat a dead horse here, but I'd like to mention the asteroid debacle again. They built 10,000 wormhole gates but couldn't deal with a single asteroid.

They really would have needed more than 12 episodes (and the manga more than 49 chapters) to fully explore all this. Especially with most of the outrageous plot twists right at the end, it becomes a high-speed gauntlet in which they barely have any time to process things or comment on them.

You bring up plenty of good points. I think a lot of people are thinking "convoluted plot=good plot", but there really are so many problems.

CHC said:
The perfect show to watch with friends: a good amount of comedy, twists, romance and cute characters fitted nicely with each other. The melodrama is never overplayed. It is not the kind of show you should think too deeply about the plausibility of each plot detail, because it is in essence a very light-hearted show. It does involve a lot of melodrama and dark secrets but they were all quickly resolved within half of an episode and it is quite clear that they are not meant to be taken with utmost seriousness.

Over all this show is very refreshing because the survival genre in anime is so full of over-sensational Lord-of-the-Flies-esque portrayal of self-centred, irrational, petty and resentful teens in a way that is too obnoxious for entertainment, yet not deep/mature enough to be taken as offering serious philosophical insight. I'm really glad that Kanata no Astra never go into that direction clumsily, but instead hold firmly onto its cheerful spirit.

I give it a 7/10. Maybe I'm overrating, but I do not have any objection against popcorn anime because there is so few anime that does entertain me. To entertain is not that much an easy job.

>Over all this show is very refreshing because the survival genre in anime is so full of over-sensational Lord-of-the-Flies-esque portrayal of self-centred, irrational, petty and resentful teens in a way that is too obnoxious for entertainment, yet not deep/mature enough to be taken as offering serious philosophical insight. I'm really glad that Kanata no Astra never go into that direction clumsily, but instead hold firmly onto its cheerful spirit.
I suppose that's one way to look at it. I'm not super familiar with survival anime, so you and I have completely different insights to this. In my POV, I was looking forwards to maybe one or two or more deaths in an attempt to survive harsh planets. I also expected the "whodunnit" traitor to kill at least once. Not to mention, the cheerful spirit to me seemed to mostly be brushing everything aside in the name of friendship, which happens way too much in anime. You definitely worded this paragraph in a way that has given me a new insight. You seem to know how to portray your thoughts well. If you don't mind me asking, could you recommend me a darker-toned survival anime? You seem to have watched a lot more anime than me. Are there any survival anime that come to your mind that aren't overly philosophical? Just a harsh, down-to-earth survival tale.

Tatsuya said:
That explanation of how they erased history made me outright hate this show, you can't get most families to agree on what to have for dinner these days, you really expect you can get 3-5 billion people to agree to abandon religion, nations and history, even in those situations?
I also am not fond of the argument that they caused wars in general, wars have always been over resources, rarely has religion been the main cause (though it has been used as a justification by some less than savory characters), and in the case of nation states, nations form after societal shifts, fact is the united states is more similar to a federated empire then a country, with "states" having their own cultures, when they divide too much it eventually leads to conflict hence what causes new nations to form and the fall of kingdoms and empires, unless you take away free thinking and/or put people under a absolute totalitarian state, it's impossible to achieve world peace through a world governance much less a single party state, such states need conflict to survive, the only way a world government could exist without essentially destroying all cultures and driving human population numbers to near extinction, is to have a post-scarcity society without the expansionism of nation states, nations would still need to exist in such a society unless they were unified by a specific overarching ideology such as a religion (like the god emperor of mankind from warhammer 40,000, or a actual benevolent divinity like in some religious texts), however as kanata no astra turns a blind eye to many of these things in it's own story, it utterly ruins said story.

As for the ending, it felt extremely rushed to me, but even then it was a rather good end, but by the time i got to it the last few episodes had ruined the series for me.

My final score for the series up until a few episodes ago was a 7.5/10 or so, now i have to end it with a 4/10, maybe lower once everything sets in.

>That explanation of how they erased history made me outright hate this show, you can't get most families to agree on what to have for dinner these days, you really expect you can get 3-5 billion people to agree to abandon religion, nations and history, even in those situations?
This and the characters are above all else, my biggest problems with this show. I still think a lot of people who watched this have the mindset of "convoluted plot=good plot", whether intentionally or not. I really do think the shows score will lower after newcomers start bingeing it. The flaws may be more obvious this way.

BrandonSep 19, 2019 12:53 PM
Sep 19, 2019 2:36 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Still even with just one arm Kanata's lost none of his determination. So even as doom approaches humanity was still foolish until they saw the cost of that foolishness in front of them typical. Still to roll back history that much though was quite the move. Polina sure ended up getting quite the shock though being asleep far longer than she thought. The sending of the camp log with their memories along with the message though was a nice touch as it showed just how much the team has matured over their travels with the visual rep being a nice touch. The standoff sure was tense but its good that they weren't shot down and managed to make it home. The friend circle sure was emotional and showed just how much of a bond was formed between them all. The insight into what happened to the team after the return sure featured some interesting surprises with Aries bombshell being the most. The ending that combined Yunhua's concert with the blastoff of the Astra sure was the perfect combo. A brilliant end to the series that brought to the tale to a excellent conclusion while showing how they all ended up in the future.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 19, 2019 2:45 AM
Jan 2019
I have to say the characters really hold up the show for me. If it wasn't for them I probably would of given a 6 or 7. The ending felt very wholesome and nice as well, boosting the score for me. Overall a 8 for me. Wouldn't mind seeing a OVA or sequal just focusing on the characters for me.
Sep 19, 2019 2:57 AM
Jul 2018
Garbage to the end. Stupid idealogue crap and forced drama. Love how they somehow casually disarmed the entire world population, and somehow had billions of people keep the immigration thing a secret. And then everyone held hands and sung around a campfire, the end.
Sep 19, 2019 3:01 AM
May 2018
I guess I'm too lazy to make a full review of the show, but I'll say this:

Despite having a lot of little flaws, or maybe just a few big flaws, idk, I don't care, it has enough good things to counter them, making it a really enjoyable anime. I guess it's strongest point are the characters, all of them very charismatic (ok, maybe Quitterie was a bitch at the beggining, Ulgar an ass, and Yunhua just "meh", but all of them have their redemption time), so if you don't like them this show is not for you. Plot twists are some kind of "predictable" at times, but they make the plot flow in a very "smooth" way, every thing happens for a reason, and to understand it you just have to recapitulate a bit, it is all there. I liked the design of the different planets, each one of them unique. I loved the inclusion of a new member to the crew by half, even if she didn't participate too much. And the music, oh god, the changes of music in THAT Zack scene was hyllarious to me. Idk what more to say. It is an anime with no big pretentions. No survival drama with unexpected deaths. Not a melodrama with them being all sad all the time (so we are clones and our parents wants to kill us? who cares? look at those... flying.. things). Just a well done comedy over a well constructed sci-fi environment. It works. Enjoy it.

With that being said, I felt like the end was, idk, "too easy". In each an every episode they combined their uniques knowledge/skills in different ways to get through difficulties, but this episode was like "Oh we're here, send an email and... thats it, lets go home". Idk, I wasn't expecting a "final battle against the adults" nor something like that, but i wanted some more. And I think that was maybe the mayor fault of the entire anime.
I read some people saying things like "how can they create wormholes and not deviate an asteroid" or somethings like that... well... that sounds like something who doesn't know a shit about science, but pretend to, would say. How do you know that deviating or destroying an asteroid is something "easy" compared to creating a wormhole? have you ever tried it? do you know anything about asteroids orbits? what in earth makes you think that the society in the show knows how to destroy an asteroid without dying in the attempt? IF (and only if) they would have told us more about the science in their world we could think something like that, but they didn't, so we just assume they can't do it, and if you don't like it, bad luck, it's an anime dude, not a documentary, don't be so serious.

So my final score to the show... 9/10 (maybe an 8.6, but round it). It made me laugh a lot (Kanata crying for living those "extraterrestrial emus" or whatever, jajajaj). As I said it has flaws, but it is aware of that and doesn't give a shit, so you don't have too. Well animated, well timed and a good sound/music too. Nothing more too say.

PD: Extra points for omiting op and ed at most episodes to gain some more time. Nicely done.
Sep 19, 2019 3:15 AM

Aug 2013
What a great episode. It was a great treat to have a special episode for the finale. Nicely done!

The gang finally made it home and their originals have paid for their crimes.

It was nice to have a timeskip and to see how the characters have grown up and what they are doing. Charce being a king, Yunhua being a singer with her beautiful voice. Kanata accomplished his dream by being an explore along with Zack. It was funny how Charce tagged along as well. It was nice that Kanata ended up buying the Astra flagged ship.

All in all, this was a great series. The best in summer 2019. An easy 9/10. Well, it's time for me to read the manga from the start!

Sep 19, 2019 3:28 AM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed this a lot. I feel some people forget that this is a shounen, not hard science fiction. It was clear from the start what the themes were going to be and I was glad I got more than just only friendship. I think the themes are obviously straight to the point, so if you enjoy them you will obviously like this series. I think what really helped the show was the directing itself. Andou Masaomi seems to be a really good director for me. I think out of all the shows I have seen him direct I have really enjoyed them. 8/10 I would say. I think it just barely hits this note for me due to well extreme plot conveniences and slightly to on the nose with how it portrays things, but I really enjoyed what it was going for.
Calal-ChanSep 19, 2019 3:32 AM
Sep 19, 2019 3:32 AM

May 2010
I like a "cool down ending" so I'll disregard any flaws. 8/10
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

201 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 3, 12:55 AM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

168 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 5:40 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 7, 2019

236 by naturalbrawler »»
Dec 30, 2023 9:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.