Forum Settings
Forums
The Saga of Tanya the Evil (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 8, 2019 5:46 PM

May 2012
Pretty damn lovely movie of this franchise, I really hope we get another sequel after this!
Sep 9, 2019 11:20 PM

Feb 2014
I might be wrong (I hope I am), but the way it ended I don't think it will be getting a sequel.

It ended as if: The empire fell at one point (as they showed at the beginning of the movie), but until there The Saga of Tanya The Evil continues. Exactly the way you already know.

The girl's revenge is one of the mains matters of this movie, though it's kind of disappointing that it ended without a proper conclusion (or that she failed)?
She managed to at least get her father's rifle? I don't remember it happening nor talking about it (I just have checked it out and they dont touched in the matter).

Anyway, 8/10

TechOtakuSep 9, 2019 11:48 PM
Sep 10, 2019 1:15 AM

May 2011
Better be a season 2.
Sep 11, 2019 10:44 AM

Sep 2015
As a Russian I must say author knows us very well
Broken phone situation, to earn promotion probably, lying about how bad things are, from "fuck we are getting slaughtered here where is artillery support" to "our soldiers advance without any trouble" - thats exactly how fucked in head our nation are.
It was a pleasure seeing Tanya bullying commiescum.
The opinions of people with shit taste, such as yourself, may differ of course.
Sep 11, 2019 2:53 PM

Dec 2018
Main antagonists are commies and "palladin" on revenge crusade. Great! You just want to see their asses kicked! But it`s a shame she was saved before Tanya could blow her brains out... That devout follower of wicked, corrupt "god" is trouble.
Sep 12, 2019 7:58 AM

Aug 2016
Ok, ok, ok... that was kinda impressive movie, even though I was like, let's watch a bit of magic world war battle movie with kinda cheap design and animation, and I get just what I expected, but second half really start pulling my strings.
Singing hymns and movie a flags at enemies capital, absolutely legendary from military point, action was impressive, even though there was more of magic skirmishes and the ground battle was like... fully re-skinned 1st season material, the ending really got me hyped. But revenge plot was actually well played, even though I would feel better if Tanya finished her off. At that moment, I was like, is it anime or something in me is wrong, watching two little girls trying to kill themselves. I wish I would see scene like this in Overlord, Ainz getting beaten to pulp. Anyway... Los' Los' Los' played at right moment and hype you for more material, then even more hyped by making Tanya commander of Kampfgruppe. Oh boi. I want to see that.

Lelouch0202 said:

Action sequences were fantastic as expected, the pink beams of Mary's were especially great. Sound direction and explosive effects were top notch.
Kinda interesting they had a character called Mary Sue as well. XD

OMG, I didn't even notice, she really was called Mary Sue... love it.
Martin_TaylorSep 12, 2019 8:05 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 12, 2019 10:52 AM

Dec 2015
Good movie. On par with the tv series.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Sep 14, 2019 1:19 AM

Nov 2014
I loved the movie, but I really disliked this whole OP god power. It doesn't go well with Tanya showig off intellect and cunning. Story should keep to startegies and tactics, not willpower or magic.
I'm also a bit disappointed with what we learned in the first few minutes - that Empire falls in the end. We don't know when, but considering 40 years later it's already over, that means Tanya will either see it or if she dies before, it will be early death. Unless there is some twist about her actually wanting that result for peaceful life lol.
Sep 14, 2019 2:24 AM

Apr 2013
It is pretty funny
Sep 14, 2019 5:25 AM
May 2019
Fantastic action packed movie, Aoi Yūki did an excellent job voicing Tanya as usual.
Animation and Action sequences were fantastic and breathtaking can't wait for more.

Sep 14, 2019 7:46 AM

Jan 2018
Subarashi.!! next is season 2.
Sep 14, 2019 2:39 PM

May 2015
Seeing Moscow burned is always nice sight.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Sep 14, 2019 2:49 PM

Sep 2009
Two much cliche anti-Soviet propaganda for someone from Easter Europe like me.

Though, besides it the movie was great. Good action and a lot of craziness this title is liked for.

I really hope we'll get more in the future.
Sep 14, 2019 4:40 PM

May 2010
it bothered me that tanya barely used her 'god miracle power' throughout the movie even during the fight against mary who was in that state she still didn't use it except for the beamblast.

and mary alive is just... meh
Sep 14, 2019 8:49 PM

Feb 2015
I already hate Mary, she truly fits her name. Self-righteous, stupid, hypocritical, arrogant, selfish, ignorant, idealistic, and just plain annoying. What kind of fucking moron doesn't realize people die in war and shit ain't personal and it ain't murder. As if some bullshit crying after all that crap is going to garner any sympathy.

And the fact that she lives is absolute bullshit. That was 6 through and through shots all to the chest, lungs, and sternum. She'd have been dead before she hit the floor or from blood loss long before she got to any medic.

I'm no military man, and I know fuck all, but I'm pretty sure in any army, then or now, the shit she pulled would have resulted in a court martial for insubordination, among other things.

Truly a Mary Sue with plot armor to match.

_____

Clearly the author isn't a fan of communism and knows why he feels that way. Can't blame him, covered the gulags, jailing of political opponents, insanely unreasonable punishments, and wasting of human life all in an hour and a half.
Sep 14, 2019 10:46 PM

Jul 2015
very cool
is liek condensed season2 lol
Sep 15, 2019 12:01 PM
Oct 2007
THIS MOVIE DOES NOT DISAPPOINT!!!!! Sorry for the caps but I'm still trembling and grinning after watching. The movie is as epic and crazy or even more so than S1. The actions are almost entirely throughout. There's no way you won't love this if you like action (+military) genre. 9/10 for me.

The concept/idea behind the show is another aspect I like too. Like how the Allies are actually teaming up with the Communists on the same side for the war.

That fight with Mary had my butt glued to my chair. I want to see another battle between them but I've a feeling Tanya will lose the next time, or eventually. I had a bad bad feeling our story might possibly end with Tanya dying. Non-manga/LN here. Being X really level up the difficulty for her by a big amount.

I seriously hope there's S2 now... Does anybody knows if the manga/LN is still ongoing?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 15, 2019 5:50 PM

Aug 2018
Damn that was good. I did sort of feel sorry for Mary though.
Sep 15, 2019 10:53 PM

Feb 2017
Great movie ~!
We need a season 2 ASAP!
Mary is savage
Sep 16, 2019 6:22 AM

Oct 2015
Tanya never catches a break, even when she has things figure it out at the end, those high ranks just had to bring her and her battalion back to the battle field!

But that was an intense and really gruesome battle between Tanya and Mary. It was cold and lacked any honor amongst the fighters, shooting, breaking bones, endless punches and more shooting.

Really enjoyed it, the animation was top notch along with the action scenes. Action never rested since from their desert expedition to the final battle. Great movie!

9/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 17, 2019 12:25 PM

Oct 2017
A marvelous movie, as expected of youjo senki. The fights and battle plans were as spectacular as always.

Also RIP Tanya's plan backfired on her.
Sep 17, 2019 1:55 PM
Jan 2019
+10/10 An excellent movie, I loved it. Every minute was worth and wait. It was very exciting, full of action, messages and lessons about the war. Tanya and her battalion are amazing, only she could train such elite soldiers, without a doubt, she is one of the greatest minds in the entire anime. I'm so anxious for the second season, I can't wait to see how Tanya commands the combined unit granted by the Empire. Holidays are over, hahaha 😂. And also, I want to see the strength with which Mary will return. Tanya won a tough opponent. When they meet again, the battlefield will become a ... true fight of the Titans! The Angel against the Demon.

Ps: I consider it one of the best anime movies I've seen.

"What matters in war is how you win."
Sep 18, 2019 3:21 AM

Oct 2015
Was a pretty fun AND funny movie.
The comedy was constantly good (them singing their hymn was the best thing xD) and there was always something happening.

I just didn't like Mary's character, at all. Which is a problem because she is the main antagonist of the story.

Also they got kinda greedy with those tracking shots following Tanya and Mary in the final fight, just need to compare them to, for example, any Shingeki no Kyojin's tracking shots to see how clunky the ones in this film are.

Overall I feel the same about this movie as I do about the show. The production value was kinda disappointing overall unfortunately.
Sep 18, 2019 5:19 AM

May 2016
Fotamon said:
PLEASE LET THERE BE A SEQUEL! Anyways, I'm buying S1 + the movie on BluRay to try financially support the studio (even if localized) and probably the manga once I've got the cash spare. I really love this franchise and hope to see more of it adapted.
Same here, I wasn't ever going to buy the first season because I thought it was sub par at best but then I went and saw the film in theaters last May an it opened my eyes to a great series. I hope a season 2 gets announced soon, hurry up Studio NUT!
Sep 18, 2019 8:09 AM

Jan 2015
The first 20 minutes were so-so, then it got fucking EPIC

I’m so mad that Mary didn’t die.

FUUUUU- I DIDN’T WANT THIS TO END UGGGHHH
Sep 18, 2019 12:41 PM
May 2016
Had everything I enjoyed about the TV series, 2 minor things that kept it from being better. How does Mary Sue not die? And no confrontation with Being X.
Sep 20, 2019 10:27 AM

May 2012
Amazing movie. I loved it from start to finish

I hope we get 2nd season or at least another movie
Sep 21, 2019 9:41 AM
Jul 2017
002_Cypress said:
-Lyka- said:
man that was great
right in the feels when the guy handed the dead guy a cigarette

plot armor kinda thicc for mary tho since she survived all that lmao

s2 ples
I agree with the Mary plot armor. She survived way too much for a farm girl. A season 2 is needed right now. You know when the first season came out I wasn't too keen on it but after sitting in the movie theater watching the film I saw season one in a new light and it grew on me.

dude, plot armour is the least of it. she was shot so many times, the first bullet went right between her collarbones, it wouldve ripped apart her air-pipe and caused her to choke on her own blood. the other bullets went straight through and would've caused crazy bleeding through all the exit wounds, she would've lost consciousness so quickly. Some of the bullets also appear to have gone through her lungs, theres absolutely no way she would be alive, let alone conscious and talking after that.

Overall I quite liked the movie though, especially the ending. The only gripe I have is how they spoiled the empire losing at the start with the "40 years later" thing. It makes the entire anime seem kinda pointless to watch now, we know shell lose anyways in the end so whats the point of all this hard work.
Sep 21, 2019 1:36 PM
Jul 2018
Utterly brilliant and fun. Everything that made the series such a joy to watch - the historical references, combat tactics, early 1900 culture and mindset and Tanya’s character - they’re all back and better than ever.
The movie couldn’t have shown the USSR/Russia in the 1920s/30s better, from the NKVD head’s fanatical obsession with pleasing Uncle Joe and punishing those who aren’t deemed capable enough, to military purges, mindless charges and trading numbers for gains.

And the combat was so fun and enjoyable to watch because it was accompanied with those eargasm SFX and soundtrack. It did its job, I need to read the light novels right now!
9.5/10, inching very close to being one of my very rare 10/10’s
Sep 21, 2019 7:49 PM
Jan 2012
Other than what people said about the animation and it feeling more like some episodes bundled in one rather than a movie, one thing that bugged me out was that before watching i expected tanya's batallion to have some kind of serious casualty after all they went through, other than that it was great.
Sep 21, 2019 7:51 PM

May 2016
tottobennington said:
Great movie ~!
We need a season 2 ASAP!
Mary is savage
This is completely unrelated to the topic but would you mind telling me the name of the Anime your gif is from under your forum posts?
Sep 21, 2019 11:19 PM

Feb 2017
002_Cypress said:
tottobennington said:
Great movie ~!
We need a season 2 ASAP!
Mary is savage
This is completely unrelated to the topic but would you mind telling me the name of the Anime your gif is from under your forum posts?

Lieselotte Sherlock from trinity seven
Sep 23, 2019 1:09 AM
Jan 2017
the war battle was very epic.,, and this the first that Tanya got that much trouble.. two Division again Ten Division but still survive and win that very great ..
and at the end tanya trying to escape from the war and want to liv in her peace life and after two month gain enemy information she back into war with new tech of war..
7/10
Sep 28, 2019 8:41 AM

Jun 2019
The biggest mistake of people is to decide emotionally and ruin their life.
I thought if there is No X/God no world right? how does it end?
lettuce<3
Sep 28, 2019 1:52 PM

Aug 2008
alright pass time, duel fight was silly though
Sep 28, 2019 10:26 PM

Oct 2008
I kinda like Mary Sue to kinda win against Tanya...oh well...
very nice movie!
i wanna S2!
ED by MYTH & ROID was awesome!!!
5/5.
8/10.

Sep 29, 2019 4:50 PM

Dec 2015
I was expecting more, specially because of the praise this is getting, but it was just a little better then the main show. Animation quality was better, but extremelly inferior to what a movie should be. The best part of the animation was the Sakuga were the animators were drastically trying to make a scene with SNK style and quality, but the framerate was so slow it was kind of annoying. The story again is 80% WW1/WW2 military strategy talk, which after some time, it gets boring. The whole reason why this movie didn't really get too much boring was because of Mary vs. Tanya moments.

I don't see the plot of Youjo Senki going to far and still being interesting. I didn't read the main material, but I do hope S2 will be the final season (of course, if S2 actually get made)
Sep 30, 2019 4:02 AM

Nov 2013
Utterly impressed with what Studio Nut was able to with this movie!! Storywise , I think the series itself was better, but the animation in the movie exceeded my expectations . Definitely worth the wait. Hopefully Nut has more projects in the future they deserve it .....

As far as the movie goes,
Tanya finally gets her rear job, but only for a mere two months LOL,
That entire ending segment was hilarious,
I only wish there was another showdown between her and Being X.
Fingers crossed we might get more Tanya in the future, but if it ends like this, I’m content .
Still one of the best war anime there is!
Oct 4, 2019 5:17 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Damn, just got back after rewatching this movie (watched it twice in about a week or so now) and this was some incredible ride once again!

Mad props to Studio Nut for some glorious action scenes and overall animation, first and foremost! Unlike many, I felt like the animation quality for the tv series was pretty good but this was something else entirely.

And of course the Sound Department was on top too, especially love that main theme! Every scene just becomes so much more badass and cool with just that, super stuff! Even that hilarious final bit was enhanced by that, Tanya falls for the Colonel’s trap yet again meanwhile xD and I, for one, loved that buildup with the swoosh in from sky and the exaggerated sweat splattering from Tanya's shock.

Mary Sue was a very poor antagonist no doubt but it was awesome to see that clincher between Tanya and her, and thanks to Studio Nut once again for absolutely perfecting that! Tanya’s “Animal. I don’t have time for your shit!” to end the fight was bloody badass too, way to go Tanya! Questionable how she survived that final barrage of gunshots though (and a few more tidbits here and there)...

Anyway, (fictional) Russia getting ridiculed like that stunned me on my first watch for a bit but I just couldn't help but get hyped this time around. Of course they wouldn't like that and would put more into offence as one of the higher-ups pointed out, I wonder if this thought didn't cross Tanya's mind initially. Welp, good thing for Tanya and the Empire that the opponents turned back on each other somewhere along the line. Certainly a close call, phew.

Really liked how accurate the Federation is to Russia (in WW1/WW2) in terms of lack of defence plus those made-up convenient lies though, although I've a feeling they kind of exaggerated that here.

Tanya's reasoning to getting a rear job instead was brilliantly handled with the foreshadowing of the Empire's destruction in the background. Kind of felt like the perfect way to pick up on that note from that future Doctor's interview.

I'm guessing the Empire's failures will start to follow up gradually next in order, and I'd honestly love to see that! But I'm content with what we have so far nonetheless. But again, I want to see more of Tanya so I want more after all!

I'll give this a solid 8.50/10, similar to Season 1's rating (8.40/10)! Expecting some sort of a continuation in the near future! Fact that Kadokawa Animation was behind this gives me hope that this series is hotcake and they want to make more profit from it for now...

Edit: Been about an hour of that ED song, "Remembrance", on replay button! Absolutely loving the theme song! MYTH & ROID, God Bless You!
_MushiRock11_Oct 4, 2019 6:36 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 5, 2019 12:26 PM
May 2017
Just saw the movie, was great!

An another note, before the last scene of the movie plays after the mini credits with "LOS LOS LOS"; does anyone have a link to those high quality pictures - they were really cool!
Oct 5, 2019 4:18 PM

Jan 2014
this was so good!!! i love this character and story, i hope being X gives us more, a lot more.
Oct 6, 2019 11:06 AM

Aug 2018
Just loved it, especially the after-credits scene which makes everything even more epic ! I don't know how long we'll have to wait for another movie or season, but I have no doubt this will be powerful and explosive (as it was already with only an air-combat unit, now we here with tanks, regular soldiers, etc).

Only 2 points disappointed / annoyed me. Tanya answered the weird rule of "I ain't gonna shoot you in the head, instead I'd rather give you more chance to live by aiming at your body to make you suffer longer". Too classic but always picky, like a villain who would talk 5 minutes before making a move, leaving time for reinforcements to join.

And secondly Mary did not die after taking like 6 shots in the chest. I totally understand she needed to be preserved for a sequel (which is fine since she now represents Being X's will & power) but c'mon, at least cut the sequence where Tanya shoots her, let her be saved after 1 shot. Or actually, this scene could have been very great if a sign of divine power had shone, as it happened during their first encounter (however, I do think it happened because of Mary's anger & hatred suddenly pointing at Tanya, after she discovered her father's rifle).

Oct 11, 2019 9:42 PM

Mar 2012
There's something amusing about Mary's I have God on my side so I don't have to worry about my actions personality that makes me wonder if she's supposed to be some kind of satire on a certain segment of Christians aside from the whole being named literally Mary Sue.

I do wish she wasn't such a bland character though....it's a bit of a shame for Tanya's antithesis to be so lame.

Pretty good movie otherwise, but tbh if the next one is more of the same i would rather there not be a sequel at all..we could go all day with this level of plot armor but one of you fucks has got to die at some point from maliciously attacking the other and/or shooting the other point blank X times.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Oct 20, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2009
It seems the Empire lost the World War in the future as Schugel recounts in the opening. This was the guy who designed Tanya's flawed computational jewel in the TV series, right?

I can't believe they'd let that lolicon Internal Affairs Secretary dictate military strategy, I hope Josef hang/quarter him after that debacle in Tiegenhoff!

WTF! Why is Mary Sue still alive? Is it the power of the Mary Sue trope? I understand her need for vengeance but I find her annoying in the long run.

Holy smokes! I knew that one, she qouted Clausewitz when she was lecturing Rudersdorf on war as politics by other means.

She got her dream cushy and peaceful desk job at the rear only for a little time, now she got even more men under her as a testbed for all her Combined Arms proposals. I didnt hear about the aerial component though probably bacause her core component was already the aerial mage battalion but air superiority is coming! She should be promoted to at least a brigadier general already. Once again a victim of her own success! No matter what she will achieve with her combined arms unit, the Empire will fall as Shugel said so in the future interview at the opening which is depressing to think about.

7/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Nov 22, 2019 11:39 AM

Sep 2019
The movie was good I got more then I expected. We need season 2.
Nov 22, 2019 3:19 PM

Jul 2015
Nice to see our favorite loli soldier back

She/he has become pretty fearfull from salaryman to warmonger, strategist and most scaries of all a child

Really hope that they continue this with a second season

Damn just when Tanya had achieved being placed in the rear she has gotten into a much worse position lol

Nov 30, 2019 2:58 PM

Jun 2017
I am like..super late to the party but finally got around watching this movie.

It was a blast from start to finish, I really hope they come out with S2 at some point (but the after credits scene heavily implied it yey!).

Trolling inside the commie city was genius!

I thought Mary would be offed but since she is literally Mary Sue no wonder she lived. I thought it would be cool if Tanya got her OP beam gun but that didn't happen, she also seems to lose the one that was looted from the father. Good thing she had tha handgun on her.

And as usual Tanya bamboozles herself with that rear research plan lmao.
Dec 3, 2019 9:44 PM

Feb 2015
It was better than expected, much better. Disappointed that every extra OVA/ONA/especial episode/movie has 0 relevance for the main story, Youjo Senki really develops the story after the anime. It’s really entertaining and one of the few plays that knows how to manage the war genre without making a mess in the middle, with Youjo Senki, I understood what was going on, where they were and why, the politic scenes were just a few, and considering that sometimes they make a mess of the storytelling, it was a correct decision. The movie focuses in the development of Tanya as the main protagonist/antagonist (depending) and the war between the Empire and the Federation, with spectacular animation, usual in the format, but valuable. The plot introduced Mary, a girl, daughter of a soldier murdered by Tanya, blessed with a great magic power, that confronted Tanya in a great scene full of rage and beams. The story didn’t miss comedy and other good scenes about friendship, happiness and patriotism (yeah, the scene where the sing the anthem). The story finished with another acid joke about Tanya going back to the front, but with the set for a sequel. The only thing I had huge problems, is with Mary surviving Tanya’s burst of bullets, wtf. Overall, a good movie and sequel for the anime, totally recommended.
Dec 8, 2019 6:30 AM

Sep 2019
I forgot how much I love the style of the credit pictures... and how every good bit of faith is just shat on by Being X. Now Tanya has a big ol' force.

Honestly, I can see her going crazy with her own army and creating whatever version of the Reich. (Well, it already seems to be going that way/emulating our history)
"You know you've reached peak quality when a doujin is better than the actual source series." (Eg. To LOVE-Ru)

Just to list a couple of biases.
Likes: A good story, characters, writing, romance, a good plot twist or something that breaks expectations (In a good way), 'backstory' and justice.
Dislikes: Bad romance, too much fanservice, the harem genre, yuri, yaoi, and bad writing.

Dec 13, 2019 7:26 AM

Sep 2018
Apple_BS said:
They make it so bad compare to the novel...

Which Volume of the Light Novel did It adapt?
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Does anyone actually like Mary Sue?

Pirate8994 - Jan 1, 2022

31 by JustMonaka »»
Jan 25, 11:52 AM

» Really liked the addition of key soviet facts in this movie!

eMITrACk - Jan 2, 2023

6 by adbeaver »»
Jan 23, 6:53 AM

» Is this filler?

Golden_Cheese - Sep 1, 2023

12 by MrBoomTop10Anime »»
Sep 2, 2023 1:49 PM

» Will there be a sequel? -(also will this get a dub?)

awesomeblackman - Jul 5, 2019

19 by Tiffanys »»
Apr 24, 2023 4:50 PM

» Season 2 announced!

go1d1eaf - Jun 19, 2021

8 by StarThrone »»
Sep 7, 2021 6:29 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.