Forum Settings
Forums

Anime/Manga about Magic but Magic doesn't relate to the Church

New
Sep 18, 2019 12:08 AM

Oct 2017
So a common troupe in fantasy media it's that magic for the most part white magic come from some kind of Divine power and there's always these holy places. Not that I hate it but I've had a hard time finding Anime where Magic doesn't relate to something Holy.
Btw it MUST be Magic not just superpowers, so One Piece and Mob Psycho won't do.

As examples:
Tongari Boushi no Atelier
Madoka Magica (though its a Mahou shoujo)
And since I can't think of anything else - Harry Potter

Btw I know most of the Magic Girl Anime fit this description but since I don't want this to become a Mahou shoujo tread pls avoid these titles unless they are extremely good.
And remember no Superpowers.

Sep 18, 2019 12:33 AM

May 2017
Fairy Tail everyone is a wizard and nothing about churches
Sep 18, 2019 1:02 AM

Jan 2017
I don't remember them talking about Church or Holy Deity , but i might be wrong.

Fairy Tail
Kara no Kyoukai (Magic are in 4 , 5 & 6 , the rest is more like Superpower but is still related to Magic)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (SF Magic)
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... & hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Sep 18, 2019 4:10 AM

Aug 2018
Cardcaptor sakura has magic with no relation to the church (though you may or may not like it as it is a regular magical girl show, a really good one at that)
Sep 18, 2019 5:41 AM

Mar 2016
Off the top of my head:

Little Witch Academia (I think magic was mainly nature related)
Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara
Sep 18, 2019 8:00 AM

May 2012
Junketsu no Maria features a witch at odds with Catholicism.
Sep 18, 2019 11:23 AM

Oct 2017
Alexioos95 said:
I don't remember them talking about Church or Holy Deity , but i might be wrong.

Fairy Tail
Kara no Kyoukai (Magic are in 4 , 5 & 6 , the rest is more like Superpower but is still related to Magic)
Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei (SF Magic)

Oh these ones look nice ty!

Nessam said:
Cardcaptor sakura has magic with no relation to the church (though you may or may not like it as it is a regular magical girl show, a really good one at that)

I've tried to watch it but it's a very long anime and doesn't seem to have that "hook" some other long animes has (Same reason I dropped Fairy Tail), so i never finished the first season, I may give it a chance someday tho.

RD1042 said:
Off the top of my head:

Little Witch Academia (I think magic was mainly nature related)
Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara

Yeah I have yet to finish these two xD Ashita kara was just too slow for me.

SeijiSensei said:
Junketsu no Maria features a witch at odds with Catholicism.

Never heard of that one and looks interesting 👌
NothingFoundSep 18, 2019 11:27 AM

Sep 18, 2019 12:22 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
+1 Cardcaptor Sakura (though if the anime doesn't suit you, then give the original manga a shot, it's a classic)

If you want anime with magic and are similar to Madoka Magica, there's Uta Kata and Princess Tutu.
I know you said no magical girl anime, but these two are pretty good in my opinion and the magic doesn't really come from anything that I'd consider divine. The former's magic comes from spirits (more specifically djinn) and the latter from some strange old man giving the MC a pendant

Full Moon wo Sagashite is a good manga to read if you want something sad. Most of the magic revolve around shinigami (the Japanese equivalent to Grim Reaper). Some people consider this a magical girl series, while some don't. Either way, give this one a shot

Some of Studio Ghibli's movies like Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky also fit under this category.
Sep 18, 2019 9:06 PM

Oct 2017
Fario-P said:
+1 Cardcaptor Sakura (though if the anime doesn't suit you, then give the original manga a shot, it's a classic)

If you want anime with magic and are similar to Madoka Magica, there's Uta Kata and Princess Tutu.
I know you said no magical girl anime, but these two are pretty good in my opinion and the magic doesn't really come from anything that I'd consider divine. The former's magic comes from spirits (more specifically djinn) and the latter from some strange old man giving the MC a pendant

Full Moon wo Sagashite is a good manga to read if you want something sad. Most of the magic revolve around shinigami (the Japanese equivalent to Grim Reaper). Some people consider this a magical girl series, while some don't. Either way, give this one a shot

Some of Studio Ghibli's movies like Howl's Moving Castle and Castle in the Sky also fit under this category.

Nice recommendations Thanks!
NothingFoundSep 18, 2019 9:32 PM

Sep 21, 2019 12:27 PM

Apr 2010
Bungou Stray Dogs (Superpower rather than magic)
Magi: The Kingdom of Magic

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Yesterday

3 by LoveYourEyes »»
14 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

18 by windyshadow »»
34 minutes ago

» I have read and watched so many reincarnated OP MC and 99.99% of them are focus on magic and non-magic is pretty much useless, but is plot with latter actually exist?

aLotQuestion_ - Apr 10

14 by nishant0 »»
6 hours ago

» Planning to watch Sousou no Frieren

WitchDoc - Apr 18

9 by Chisuku »»
7 hours ago

» Recommendations for manga with very close relationships

kamui_susanoo - Yesterday

3 by JKKH »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.