Forum Settings
Forums

Why doesn't your Mean Score stabilize at a high point?

New
Sep 17, 2019 8:34 AM

Jul 2016
When you watch bad anime, shouldn't you learn from your mistakes and do some research before watching next time?

Then avoid anime you know you will score poorly?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 17, 2019 8:39 AM

Aug 2016
I imagine people who have already seen so much just kinda try everything at some point which could lower your mean score. I don't think mine is too low but there are anime on my ptw still that I'm pretty sure I won't enjoy that much but I have it there anyway probably just for an anime ed or op or just for shits and giggles.
Sep 17, 2019 8:43 AM

Sep 2014
Watching a bad anime is not a mistake and doesn't even have to be bad experience.
And I don't know, I can't magically predict whether the anime is good or bad before watching it, I have shows I like and dislike from all genres.
Sep 17, 2019 8:54 AM

Oct 2017
IpreferEcchi said:
When you watch bad anime, shouldn't you learn from your mistakes and do some research before watching next time?

This assumes people know what they're going to enjoy from genre tags / synopses alone. I guess one could do even more research but at that point you run the risk of spoiling yourself (hell, I try to not even read synopses, at least not in full).

And as someone else said, watching a bad anime isn't a mistake. One can't know it's not going to be their thing 100%. I think it's better to try lots of different stuff because there's always the potential to be surprised. But I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone. There are people who know exactly what genres they like and don't like and certain anime will always be safe bets for them. In fact, I made a thread on this topic ages ago... can't remember the details but made for interesting discussion.

I still think the thread title question is good though. Why do people continue watching stuff they don't like, ending up with tons of 1-3/10 completed shows? It's a question that's been asked before but I'm never satisfied with the answers. I'm a lot more liberal with dropping shows these days and will only rate them if I've seen a good amount of episodes.

You get people with tons of 3/12 completed episode dropped shows and they all have 1-3/10. It's annoying, but to be fair, people score in different ways and as long as people are consistent in their scoring then whatever it's all good.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Sep 17, 2019 8:55 AM

Jul 2019
I always end up watching anime that I enjoy but since I watch a lot of airing anime well some of them will end up with an average score in my list: they're the kind of anime I don't mind watching an episode once a week but I wouldn't binge watch them.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Sep 17, 2019 8:56 AM

Oct 2017
Because the average is 5.5, it doesn't makes sense that it will stabilize much higher if you use the full scale as intended.

Sep 17, 2019 9:00 AM

Jun 2019
Because even if you only try to watch things you think you'll like, you're not going to love everything. There's going to be 6's and 7's in there, especially when you're past the 'top anime' section.

Sep 17, 2019 9:00 AM

Jan 2009
thats the reason my mean score is higher than average since i only watch anime that i prefer most of the time

but for others the rule of thumb that is sturgeons law applies "90% of everything is trash or things i do not prefer"
Sep 17, 2019 9:08 AM

Mar 2018
I won't know if something is good or not until I watch it so there are bound to be some trash shows out there that will make my mean avg cry in pain.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 17, 2019 9:13 AM

Oct 2010
Even if I rate a certain show 2 or 3, I find something that gets me through it: a hot girl, a funny character, an interesting setting etc. It's like smoking a cig brand you don't like, you smoke the cig because you already lit it and you have the time to smoke it, in the future you'll avoid it and you'll smoke the cigs you like best.
Sep 17, 2019 9:17 AM
Jul 2018
I just want to sort my list a little bit and think, I give enough 8-10s. If everything would be a 9 or 10, you couldn't tell the difference anymore. I'm always so confused, when I look at a list and everything is 9 or 10. I can't tell which anime or manga you liked the most.

Btw. I liked some of the 5s or 6s too. I enjoyed Tales of Zestiria or Granblue Fantasy for example, but I personally didn't think that they were good for several reasons. Most times, when I'm finishing an anime, it will get a score of 6 or 7+, because I watch / finish less now, but stuff that I like.

Also, the "low" scores comes from the music videos. They are so short that you don't lose anything, if you try them all.
removed-userSep 17, 2019 9:23 AM
Sep 17, 2019 9:21 AM

Feb 2019
I don't consider 6 a bad score, so my mean being around that is good enough for me. I try to use the full scale, so it makes more sense to me when looking through my list seeing shows I thought were better or enjoyed more not having the same score as shows I thought were worse or didn't enjoy as much.
Sep 17, 2019 9:21 AM

Jan 2016
IpreferEcchi said:

Because I watch anime I think are bad just so my mean score gets lower
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Sep 17, 2019 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
What research? I'll watch anything that looks mildly interesting.

What else can I do, trust the MAL score?
I can't tell if I'll love something by its synopsis and genre alone. I mean, if it's slice-of-life it's probably right up my alley, but that doesn't mean I won't end up with a Danchigai on my plate.

That said, my mean will always be high anyway because I'm not using the full range. But the majority of my anime still end up getting the rating of "Average".
Sep 17, 2019 9:28 AM

Sep 2017
The more I see, the more my score decreases.

Decide once every certain number of years which members of the ruling class will oppress and crush the people in parliament: this is the true essence of bourgeois parliamentarism, not only in the constitutional parliamentary monarchies but in the most democratic republics
- The State and Revolution (September 1917), Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov "Lenin".
Sep 17, 2019 9:35 AM

Feb 2018
Well, for one I want to go into most shows somewhat blind. Like I don't want to accidentally stumble upon a game-changing twist while figuring out whether I'm going to like a show. I already find it near impossible to sit through the first episode of Attack on Titan largely because I have a general idea of what's going to happen, so I do have precedent for that.

Secondly, I don't generally come to the conclusion of a show being bad until after I've finished it. Most of the time I'm just watching to waste some time, and not asking many questions. It's only afterward that I really start to process the kind of things that would make me consider a show bad.

Thirdly, even if I'm not doing it on purpose, it does help expand my palette. Seeing just how abysmal an anime can be helps me appreciate good anime a whole lot more than I otherwise would. I don't think I'm that harsh on most on things I watch specifically because I know how much worse they could be.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Sep 17, 2019 9:43 AM

Jul 2016
Imaishi said:
Watching a bad anime is not a mistake and doesn't even have to be bad experience.
And I don't know, I can't magically predict whether the anime is good or bad before watching it, I have shows I like and dislike from all genres.

Luchse said:
I won't know if something is good or not until I watch it so there are bound to be some trash shows out there that will make my mean avg cry in pain.

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

You see what people are saying about it at the trade off of spoiling part of it so you know if it has something that will piss you off like other shows.

I don't care if I know a pretty significant plot point in advance, because the stuff in between I don't know, and the little things are meaningful to me.

But if the plot point is something I don't like, then I know to avoid it.
IpreferEcchiSep 17, 2019 9:46 AM
Sep 17, 2019 9:44 AM
Twincool~

Oct 2018
Well gotta try everything. I made it a point to try to at least watch all the popular shows even though I know I probably won't like a lot of them. Can't find hidden gems if you don't try.
Sep 17, 2019 9:46 AM
Oct 2017
Part of the research may include watching the first few episodes and some people also rate the anime lowly after dropping it if they didn't like the first few episodes, and since it's common (for me at least, can't speak for others) to encounter such anime that you drop after watching a few eps, it may explain why they have low mean scores.

I myself don't rate most anime that i dropped after watching a few eps and so I have a slightly high mean, but if I did rate them then it would be low too. Now whether it's acceptable to rate a show, of which you've watched only a few episodes, is another debate right?
Sep 17, 2019 9:49 AM

Mar 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
Luchse said:

Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:

You see what people are saying about it at the trade off of spoiling part of it so you know if it has something that will piss you off like other shows.

I don't care if I know a pretty significant plot point in advance, because the stuff in between I don't know, and the little things are meaningful to me.

But if the plot point is something I don't like, then I know to avoid it.
Yeah I can see what people wrote and if I find something about it that ticks me off I still will probably give the show a chance because I preffer seeing it myself before saying if it's trash or not.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 17, 2019 9:55 AM

Sep 2018
I enjoy SOME shows i end up giving a 5 or lover, it just happends that i value what kind of enjoyment it was and how long it impacted me or if i just forgot about after a week.I also rate not only by enjoyment, i can enjoy a shit show like Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou but of course it doesn't get a high score, since its not a well made show.

The other reason my mean score is getting lower and lower are Seasonals, i watch 1 or 2 really good shows a Season and the rest 5 or 6 i watch to pass time are shit shows.

I also try everything that looks interesting but get dissapointed 99% of the time, but how else should i get new shows to watch.
The only other way, i see thats better in most cases is that you ask a friend who has similar taste than you.
-Mullerio-Sep 17, 2019 10:26 AM
Sep 17, 2019 10:05 AM
Sep 2014
Mullerio_ said:
I enjoy SOME shows i end up giving a 5 or lover, it just happends that i value what kind of enjoyment it was and i also rate not only by enjoyment, i can enjoy a shit show like Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou but of course it doesn't get a high score, since its not a well made show with a complex story, multiple layerd Characters etc.

Isn't the point of scoring to convey your own feelings rather than rating a show badly because everyone else does? Apparently a complex story for example isn't needed to entertain you, so why rate on that?
Sep 17, 2019 10:07 AM

Apr 2017
I always gives things that look at least remotely interesting a try even if I don't think I will like them. I assume many people are like that. My mean score is stabilized because I don't finish shows I deem to not be my thing and I don't score majority of my drops, but for people that do I can certainly see how it comes to be.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Sep 17, 2019 10:28 AM

Oct 2018
As for why I watch 'bad anime', it's cuz I want to see for myself if they are as bad as I've heard (Hametsu no Mars and Skelter Heaven) other times, its simply me putting my expectations too high for the show (Kanashimi no Belladonna and Chika Gentou Gekiga: Shoujo Tsubaki) even when I rate these shows low, I don't really regret watching them, as they provided entertainment, even if it wasn't necessarily enjoyable. In short, no, I won't avoid shows I'm sure that I'd rate low, cuz who knows, I might find one that'd surprise me.
Fleeting_DreamSep 17, 2019 10:32 AM
Summertime days, passing gently
Sunlight, leading to an encounter;
Dreams that don't want to end
Continue onwards toward the next day
While she waits in the air.
Sep 17, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2013
eventually an equilibrium will be reached
there will always be anime you rate above average and below average (i.e. your mean score)
Sep 17, 2019 11:05 AM

Sep 2012
I think I just hate myself. In an attempt to feed my mecha addiction I watch a lot of things that I know will probably not be good just because it has robots in it.
Sep 17, 2019 11:08 AM
Apr 2017
If it's seasonal I'll read the synopsis and if it's interesting I'll watch it. That's, by far and away, the source of most of my lower scores since, for the most part, I can pick decent enough anime otherwise. Even in those cases, an anime everyone else thinks is worth an 8 can be a 5 to me yet still be worth my time.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Sep 17, 2019 11:11 AM

Apr 2017
Watching a bad anime is one of the most important things for a real fan wtf.

If you completely stop watching bad anime then how would you understand if you love an anime or not?

Watching bad animes (aka anime YOU don't like) helps you developing your own taste.
There are also people who likes to not drop anime, like me.

So ofc the mean scores aren't always high.

Also it depends what you think is low, imo, a 5.50+ mean score is more than decent for someone who watched more than 400 anime.
Sep 17, 2019 11:18 AM

Apr 2019
I'm pretty sure mine will be high even after finishing a 100+ days bingeworth of anime. But i dont score all shows that i watch, and drop shows that I don't like at 1st or 2nd EP.
For most ppl, i think they run out of the great quality shows around 300 series, and at the same time all the new content they watch gets very predictable so they don't enjoy the new shows as much (for example, I watched Charlotte before Clannad, and it has many of the same things and plot twists so Clannad didn't have the same effect on me as it does on most ppl). But i hope i don't turn into one of those whiny, sad creatures who still keep watching anime only to complain, write toxic reviews and ruin it for others
Sep 17, 2019 11:18 AM

Nov 2010
What if i intentionally watch bad anime..
Sep 17, 2019 11:37 AM

Sep 2018
Mizukitsu said:
Mullerio_ said:
I enjoy SOME shows i end up giving a 5 or lover, it just happends that i value what kind of enjoyment it was and i also rate not only by enjoyment, i can enjoy a shit show like Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou but of course it doesn't get a high score, since its not a well made show with a complex story, multiple layerd Characters etc.

Isn't the point of scoring to convey your own feelings rather than rating a show badly because everyone else does? Apparently a complex story for example isn't needed to entertain you, so why rate on that?

I changed that, i don't NEED a complex story for a story to be good, i just used it as an example for something that ups a storys quality.

But why do you think i only rate a show badly because everyone else does?
I just rate things I dislike badly, that as i said doesn't mean i didn't enjoy the show one bit while watching it i just don't think it is a well writtin show etc.
Sep 17, 2019 11:55 AM

Jul 2016
Heimur said:
Because the average is 5.5, it doesn't makes sense that it will stabilize much higher if you use the full scale as intended.

Mostly this. Most people rate based on enjoyment which will inevitably artificially inflate the score.

Why not watch a variety of things? It's boring to always be safe. I watch any thing that interest me even if I know it to be bad. Bad shows can be entertaining too.
Sep 17, 2019 11:59 AM

Jul 2016
KomaDoll said:
What if i intentionally watch bad anime..

I don't want to give bad anime publicity except when it's unavoidable with the ones I had to watch to learn what was bad for me.

raisin-kun said:
Why not watch a variety of things? It's boring to always be safe. I watch any thing that interest me even if I know it to be bad. Bad shows can be entertaining too.

I don't mean bad in an entertaining way. I mean a way that goes against your values, is painful to watch, and shouldn't exist.
Sep 17, 2019 12:31 PM

Aug 2016
No. I rather watch without needing to do the research.

+Keeps myself open to watching a wider variety of shows
+Less chance of being disappointed as no expectation was given when I go in a show blind as possible. If it goes the other way, that's even better since it's a nice surprise
+Use that research time to watch something instead of reading up multiple people's opinion even though you might not agree by the time you finish a show. That and I don't give a shit.
+Don't get spoiled
+Bad shows refer to overall bad, but there is usually at least one specific element that isn't bad and could even be enjoyable.
Sep 17, 2019 12:37 PM

Aug 2017
My mean score went from 5.23 to 5.20 in 2018. Now, it went from 5.21 to 5.28 and now its 5.30.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 17, 2019 12:38 PM

Jul 2016
IpreferEcchi said:

I don't mean bad in an entertaining way. I mean a way that goes against your values, is painful to watch, and shouldn't exist.

Well, I never actively seek out stuff that I know I would dislike. I think that's much harder than finding shows you know you'll like. I think there's only a dozen or so shows I actively disliked and half of those I thought were going to be good or at least average. And I don't really get it when you say a way that "goes against my values".
Sep 17, 2019 12:41 PM

Jul 2016
raisin-kun said:
And I don't really get it when you say a way that "goes against my values".

A yandere bitch deliberately killing her friend. You don't purposely kill friends. I don't care if it's strangers.

Also anime where the MC is so weak-willed that he gets dragged into activities annoying assholes are doing.
Sep 17, 2019 12:50 PM
Jul 2018
I don't watch anime just to give good scores. If anything, most anime I've watched is garbage at worst or mediocre at best. If I have to give bad ratings to 500 anime I haven't watched yet, I'm gonna do it. Everyone should do it, to be honest.
Sep 17, 2019 12:51 PM

Nov 2018
Most of my low scores are specials, and I'm currently watching/finished a lot of shows that are rated >7.5, so my ratings are skewered to average over 7.0. People will eventually watch most of the highly rated shows and start to finish the average to bad shows and specials, which in turn lowers the average score. I've got a long way before that happens, as I've only been actively watching anime for around 10 months now

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Sep 17, 2019 12:52 PM
Dec 2017
People don't follow the 3 episode rule tbh. Also, most people who watch anime are school/college students eho do have a lot of time in their hands compared to someone who is an adult and has much more social obligations than them. Just my anime viewing experience as an example, when I was a student I would watch tons of shows which had something that interested me and even though I didn't like a show, I would finish it because I had time. This specially happened during vacations or or downtimes during semesters. But now, after completing my studies, I only watch stuff that really really grabs my attention or I've been following the source material for a long time. So usually the stuff I watch now are atleast an 8.5/10 in my books tbh. It ultimately depends on the time you have in hand.
Sep 17, 2019 12:57 PM

May 2018
I use all ten scores to rate anime and consider anything I gave 3+ enjoyable and worth watching. So my 5.6 mean score is not as low as it seems. So, there are just 1s, 2s and 3s which are supposed to be a waste of time (some 1s are worthy though, for their hilariousness) and I've noticed that I started to drop a lot and avoid a lot of 2-3 stuff and my mean score has risen from 5.1 to 5.6 and I hope will get to 6.0+ soon

Sep 17, 2019 1:04 PM

Jul 2016
IpreferEcchi said:

A yandere bitch deliberately killing her friend. You don't purposely kill friends. I don't care if it's strangers.

Also anime where the MC is so weak-willed that he gets dragged into activities annoying assholes are doing.

If you put it that way then I do tend to avoid any shows/manga that have strong themes of nationalism. As in, you know the author is an ardent nationalist and is clearly flaunting his work as such to get poor people to buy-in. Other than that I'm mostly open since it's just a work of fiction. And anyways they're rare and everyone hates them anyways.
Sep 17, 2019 1:06 PM

Jan 2017
Heimur said:

In theory, yes. In practice, no.

That would only make sense, if the viewer had no selection-process.
Sep 17, 2019 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
In my opinion, people with a mean score below 6 have forgotten how it is to enjoy anime and are just in it to increase their numbers, because IF you actually use the MAL rating system and actually like the stuff you watch you would nearly always score higher than 6 or even 7. I didnt rate a show below 7 in month's because I simply dont force myself through shit anymore.
Sep 17, 2019 2:22 PM

Jun 2017
When you watch more anime, you watch more shorts (<10min) anime and that automatically would lower your mean score.
Also give everything a shot, if it wasn't good drop it but probably you will find shows you didn't expected to be good and that even makes evolve your taste
Sep 17, 2019 2:32 PM

Mar 2018
HisokaxMeruem said:
In my opinion, people with a mean score below 6 have forgotten how it is to enjoy anime and are just in it to increase their numbers, because IF you actually use the MAL rating system and actually like the stuff you watch you would nearly always score higher than 6 or even 7. I didnt rate a show below 7 in month's because I simply dont force myself through shit anymore.
You do know that people can like a certain show but still give it a low score. People with a score of 6 and up need to stop and ask themselves "Hey does this anime deserve such a high mark?" and go around lowering scores for the ones that do not deserve it. Speaking of anime that do not deserve such a high score, Mirai Nikki. I for the love of god fail to understand how could you give that dumpster fire a score of 10.

Sep 17, 2019 2:44 PM

Feb 2016
There is nothing wrong on finishing any anime and/or giving an anime a low score, it doesn't entirely mean you hated it. I can rate anime a score between 3 and 6 and still like it while acknowledging it has several flaws.

A low mean score just means that the user KNOWS how to rate fairly.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Sep 17, 2019 2:50 PM

Mar 2018
HereticHunter said:
There is nothing wrong on finishing any anime and/or giving an anime a low score, it doesn't entirely mean you hated it. I can rate anime a score between 3 and 6 and still like it while acknowledging it has several flaws.

A low mean score just means that the user KNOWS how to rate fairly.
Exactly! People here tend to connect low scores with hatred and whenever they see someone giving low scores they throw words like anime hater, masochist, ELITIST, and my favorite "Why are you watching anime if you are not enjoying it?". Well, I obviously wouldn't be watching it anymore if I found no enjoyment in it.

Sep 17, 2019 2:54 PM
Jul 2018
Luchse said:
HisokaxMeruem said:
You do know that people can like a certain show but still give it a low score. People with a score of 6 and up need to stop and ask themselves "Hey does this anime deserve such a high mark?" and go around lowering scores for the ones that do not deserve it. Speaking of anime that do not deserve such a high score, Mirai Nikki. I for the love of god fail to understand how could you give that dumpster fire a score of 10.

Its simple, it was literally one of the first 5 anime I watched when I just started beside the stuff on TV and binged through it all. I am not going to go back and rewatch it just to give it another score, I dont rate my anime to please elitists.
I mean you have a mean score of barely above 5, that means nearly everything you watch is just average, why bother wasting time on stuff thats average when there is actual good stuff?
Edit: I was like 12 or 13 when I watched Mirai Nikki.
removed-userSep 17, 2019 2:59 PM
Sep 17, 2019 3:01 PM

Mar 2018
HisokaxMeruem said:
Luchse said:

Its simple, it was literally one of the first 5 anime I watched when I just started beside the stuff on TV and binged through it all. I am not going to go back and rewatch it just to give it another score, I dont rate my anime to please elitists.
I mean you have a mean score of barely above 5, that means nearly everything you watch is just average, why bother wasting time on stuff thats average when there is actual good stuff?
Allright I get it. FMAB was one of the first anime I watched and I keept a high score for it. I'll give an example about that time wasting on average stuff. First two seasons of Tokyo Ghoul. I absolutely adore them but they are such trash that me giving it a score of 5 is too high. So me giving something a score of 5 or lower doesn't always mean that there is no enjoyment to be had in it.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What is your most re-watched anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 15

88 by r3v3l3v3l »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

14 by Sorachin »»
4 minutes ago

» Anime you would like to play as a game

nishant0 - Yesterday

16 by ISwearIDidntDoIt »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Apr 16

136 by alshu »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime and Time Management

LenRea - 2 hours ago

9 by Zettaiken »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.