Forum Settings
Forums

Manga 'Runway de Waratte' Receives TV Anime Adaptation

New
Sep 16, 2019 7:51 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013

Kodansha opened an official website for a television anime adaptation of Kotoba Inoya's Runway de Waratte (Smile at the Runway) on Monday, revealing staff, cast, a key visual (pictured above), and the first promotional video. The anime series will begin airing in January 2020.

Synopsis
Runway de Waratte starts with the story of Chiyuki Fujito, an aspiring fashion model and daughter of a fledgling Modeling Agency, Mille Neige. Ever since she was little, Chiyuki's dream was to be the star model of her dad's agency and perform at Paris Fashion Week. With great looks and a gifted environment, it seemed like she was on the right track to fulfill her dream, but she soon found herself faced with a seemingly insurmountable wall when her height stopped growing at 158 cm; too short to be a professional model.

Although Chiyuki still kept on believing in herself for years despite everyone telling her it's impossible, Chiyuki's resolve starts to crumble as she enters her last year of high school. This is when she meets Ikuto Tsumura, a lame classmate with a surprising talent for designing clothes, who is also considering giving up his dream due to unfortunate circumstances. Together, they begin the journey of doing the impossible in order to realize their dreams. (Source: MU)

Staff
Director: Nobuyoshi Nagayama (Happy Sugar Life, Sounan Desu ka?)
Series Composition: Touko Machida (Wake Up, Girls!, Harukana Receive)
Character Design: Misaki Kaneko (Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku animation director)
Studio: Ezόla

Cast
Chiyuki Fujito: Yumiri Hanamori (Rolling☆Girls)
Ikuto Tsumura: Natsuki Hanae (Masamune-kun no Revenge)

The fashion-themed manga marks Inoya's serialization debut, which began in Weekly Shounen Magazine in March 2017. Kodansha published the 12th volume on Tuesday. The manga currently has over 1 million copies of its compiled volumes in print.

Kodansha Comics licensed the manga in English under the title Smile Down the Runway this July for digital distribution. The first volume was released on September 3.

Runway de Waratte was nominated for the 11th Manga Taisho, 4th Tsugi ni Kuru Manga Taisho, and 64th Shogakukan Manga Awards in 2018.

PV

Official site: http://runway-anime.com/
Official Twitter: @runway_anime

Source: Oricon News

Runway de Waratte on MAL
VindstotSep 16, 2019 4:31 PM

Sep 16, 2019 7:57 AM

Jul 2015
This series looks like it has a lot of potential,I am going to definitely watch it.
Arjuna777Sep 16, 2019 8:17 AM

Sep 16, 2019 8:13 AM

Jun 2014
The manga is incredible, but I don't know how good the anime can be with that shitty studio behind it, and don't worry, the staff is also shit. They have been working on it for a while though, since the first shot in the PV was showcased in a manga CM in late 2018.

(extra bit of anime clip at 0:18)

:3
Sep 16, 2019 9:09 AM
Feb 2014
I'll give this a try, i like the art and designs!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Sep 16, 2019 9:18 AM
Aug 2011
ew Natsuki Hanae... because I want my ears to bleed during the entire duration thanks
Sep 16, 2019 9:33 AM

Nov 2007
Runway de waratte and act-age are two real gems in showbiz oriented stories. I am really happy that one of them is going to get some strong advert through this adaptation. :)

If anyone's holding back, just know that Chiyuki's a badass for never giving up! Ikuto is timid but really admirable when it comes to passion. Characters like them that make me adore stories.

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Sep 16, 2019 9:42 AM

Oct 2012
I'm sold. And more Natsuki Hanae is always great, too.
Sep 16, 2019 9:49 AM

Feb 2017
not really fond of this but hey the boy is pretty cute
Sep 16, 2019 11:08 AM

Feb 2013
The manga is fantastic (thanks kodansha for finally licensing it btw <3) but the PV don't inspire much confidence to me. The art is really below of what it should be considering that fashion shows in the manga are that great because of the composition AND how detailed the art is. But the problem is more than that as animation and direction seems weak as well.

So yeah, this anime will be completely carried by the manga contents like so many adaptations out there which have similar situations.
Sep 16, 2019 11:24 AM
Nov 2014
Sounds interesting enough! I'll be keeping an eye on this.
Sep 16, 2019 12:01 PM

Jul 2015
I will be glad if the Studio and the Director manages to deliver their first good animation.

Based on past works, I have very low expectations.

Sep 16, 2019 12:03 PM

Jan 2015
this really interested me. Remind me of Princess Jellyfish somehow.
Sep 16, 2019 12:11 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Definitely going to give this a go!

Artstyle was fairly good and I haven’t really seen any fashion anime yet so no expectations in that regard. I have heard the manga is quite well-received though so hopefully the adaption will reflect on that!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 16, 2019 1:41 PM

Feb 2015
The real question is when does it become gay? From the start or it's just subtle bullshitry?
Sep 16, 2019 3:18 PM

Aug 2013
Heck yeah! I read the first chapter a while back and really liked it. I've been saving it for a while now... the PV looks goooood!
Sep 16, 2019 3:28 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
that's some good PV. already was interested due to a recommendation between the manga and Princess Jellyfish, but welp im sold
Sep 16, 2019 4:04 PM

Nov 2018
PV was really good. Story seems to better to me.I'm looking forward to it.
But at first sight,He was also looking female to me. If I hadn't watched PV.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 16, 2019 4:15 PM

Dec 2016
An anime about top models and the fashion world might be good. I'll check it out

한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Sep 16, 2019 5:48 PM

May 2015
Err... production wise this looks rather lackluster. Maybe my expectations were a bit too high considering I really like the manga. My own fault for expecting better I guess.

Also, that staff is just a big NO, especially Nobuyoshi Nagayama as the main director. I would have really loved to see someone like Tatsuyuki Nagai or Kyohei Ishiguro handle this adaptation.

I’m also not a fan of the super washed-out colors they are using either (even if that’s how they are in the manga covers). Colors are important, especially in a career like fashion. For a series like this, having a color design made of dull colors isn’t ideal.

Anyhow, I’ll still give it shot, but with much lower expectations now. Hopefully the overall directing and pacing will end up being decent enough.
zero-rSep 17, 2019 5:44 PM

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Sep 17, 2019 1:15 PM
Nov 2015
This manga is really good, its like Ballroom e youkoso vibe but he's like more on fashion. He met some people propels him more to grow.
Sep 18, 2019 3:39 PM
Mar 2015
Glad to see the hard reality of the fashion world portrayed realistically the manga actually spends most of its time following the career of the aspiring designer
landofthekwtSep 18, 2019 3:43 PM
Sep 19, 2019 6:50 AM

Apr 2012
shanimebib said:
Runway de waratte and act-age are two real gems in showbiz oriented stories. I am really happy that one of them is going to get some strong advert through this adaptation. :)

If anyone's holding back, just know that Chiyuki's a badass for never giving up! Ikuto is timid but really admirable when it comes to passion. Characters like them that make me adore stories.

Thanks for the feedback. However, I am personally surprised by something else. After adapting Happy Sugar Life and Sounan desu ka? I thought these guys were going to specialize in yuri and yuri-ish ecchi. Suddenly see a romantic shonen from them.
Sep 19, 2019 10:12 AM

Aug 2015
The manga is quite good, with a kind male Mc, but the female Mc is kinda annoying,selfish and rude
Sep 19, 2019 10:15 AM

Aug 2015
shanimebib said:

shanimebib said:

Personally,I hated the female Mc in this manga,she seemed really rude and selfish type of girl and also arrogant, but Yes,the male Mc is really nice and hard-working kind of guy
Sep 19, 2019 11:16 AM

Jul 2015
madarchod said:
The manga is quite good, with a kind male Mc, but the female Mc is kinda annoying,selfish and rude

i removed this anime from my ptw after reading this
Sep 19, 2019 1:01 PM

Aug 2015
tragedydesu said:
madarchod said:

i removed this anime from my ptw after reading this

Well,you should not base your opinion about this manga solely on my judgement,at least watch first few episodes(both story and male Mc are gems) then see whether you like it or not, but Yes,female Mc is indeed quite arrogant and rude and sometimes selfish too, but her selfish attitude has improved quite a bit as the series progresses,can't say the same for her other personality traits

But definitely, based on your taste for anime girls,you would definitely dislike the female Mc
Oct 25, 2019 3:06 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverNov 8, 2019 11:05 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 8, 2019 2:27 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
New Character PV for Kokoro Hasegawa (CV: Ai Kayano):

https://twitter.com/runway_anime/status/1192744262833561600?s=20

Additional Cast announced too:

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1192748127612096513?s=20
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

More topics from this board

» 'Black★★Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall' Reveals Additional Cast, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Feb 11, 2022

11 by nisafitri »»
38 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Apr 23

5 by dimidrum »»
Yesterday, 3:41 PM

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 1:40 PM

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
Yesterday, 12:19 PM

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

1 by RobertBobert »»
Yesterday, 11:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.