Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 15, 2019 5:43 AM

Apr 2014
I don't care if it was released this year or 10 years ago.
Give me the title of the best video game that you've played this year.

Personally, my favorite game of the year is 198X. It's a 2 hour long game but it is incredibly awesome. Trust me. If you're a 90s kid - just buy it.

trailer for high energy ppl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLorK6Amsec
trailer for low energy ppl: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Avbkptw6mSM

If you're also looking for games and want to see more of my taste - you can click here: https://steamcommunity.com/id/darius01/recommended/

edit:
Darius said:
Actually, my new game of the year is The Red Strings Club.
TelecomSep 17, 2019 6:15 PM
themanualreader@proton.me
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 15, 2019 5:50 AM

Aug 2014
At the moment, I exclusively play Borderlands 2.

I only bought it (during the Steam summer sale) around two months ago, but have already clocked in over 300 hours.

It came out in 2012, but DLC has been released over the years. This year, an Ultra HD Texture Pack (with better graphics for any resolution, but especially 4K) and story expansion pack (including new weapons, level cap, etc.) came out.

Can't wait to play the rest of the franchise. Borderlands 3 is out now, but I may wait until it's on Steam next year. Here's a cool video about it.

Sep 15, 2019 7:17 AM

Oct 2010
The only games I played this year are Fire Emblem Three Houses and Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu. Fire Emblem Three Houses has been pretty fun.
Sep 15, 2019 7:22 AM

May 2014
It's got to be Sekiro for me.

The parry mechanic is so much fun and that Japanese aesthetic is gorgeous. Hoping for some DLC in the future.
Sep 15, 2019 7:26 AM

Apr 2019
Just played Fallout 4 at the start of the year, so that takes the GOTY imo. (I don't know why I didn't played it sooner though)

Sep 15, 2019 7:38 AM

Jan 2013
Resident Evil 2 Remake, easily.
Best RE game, and it also made me play the original (which is a good but dated game).
Sep 15, 2019 7:42 AM

May 2009
Thread moved from Casual Discussion.
Sep 15, 2019 7:45 AM

Jul 2017
-Shinzo said:
Just played Fallout 4 at the start of the year, so that takes the GOTY imo. (I don't know why I didn't played it sooner though)

have you played Fallout New Vegas because Fallout 4 is so inferior compared to it

oh and uhhh i guess fortnite epic wins
Sep 15, 2019 7:48 AM

Jan 2009
isnt it Nier Automata for a lot of gamers because of its deep real life philosophy? im no gamer but personally Asuras Wrath is my pick lol and for this year Dragonball FighterZ
Sep 15, 2019 8:21 AM

May 2014
heg said:
isnt it Nier Automata for a lot of gamers because of its deep real life philosophy? im no gamer but personally Asuras Wrath is my pick lol and for this year Dragonball FighterZ

I'm surprised by how popular Nier Automata is. The gameplay and story were all just passable to me. I enjoyed it, much not on a deep level. I really think 2B has a lot to do with the game's popularity XD
Sep 15, 2019 8:24 AM

Jan 2009
fancyjasper said:
heg said:

I'm surprised by how popular Nier Automata is. The gameplay and story were all just passable to me. I enjoyed it, much not on a deep level. I really think 2B has a lot to do with the game's popularity XD

that maybe true too but personally i hate that her eyes are hidden all the time so i cannot see all her beauty lol
Sep 15, 2019 9:18 AM

Apr 2019
Tangerine said:
-Shinzo said:

have you played Fallout New Vegas because Fallout 4 is so inferior compared to it

Haven't yet, I'll probably play it by next year (seeing how much I loved FO4) so I can have 2 Fallout games as my GOTY.

Sep 15, 2019 9:46 AM

Apr 2014
-Shinzo said:
Tangerine said:

Haven't yet, I'll probably play it by next year (seeing how much I loved FO4) so I can have 2 Fallout games as my GOTY.

Trust me, New Vegas is freaking great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKtAXzjyHQ4
Sep 15, 2019 1:56 PM

Sep 2012
Borderlands 3 for me so far. Like, Borderlands 2 was my favorite shooter game before it, and this is BL2 but better.

Graphics are improved while mantaining their unique art style, gameplay is fantastic now and the new guns+weapon manufacturers gimmicks are great, humor is still intact, level/map/planet design is a massive step up (expanding on the lore of the previous games with old and new locations), new classes are the most fun with the best implemented skill trees yet, scaling is way lower than BL2 and even lower than TPS, tons of top notch QoL updates (your character talks and retains the slam animations from TPS, changing quests with a button, refilling ammo with another, sliding and climbing, teleporting to your vehicle instantly and to other open fast travel locations...), boss fights are amazing in comparison with previous Borderlands games (final boss could've been better though, even if is still better than BL1&BL2 final bosses, is not as good as TPS Eclipse+EOS or The Sentinel in my opinion, it felt a bit rushed), music is excellent (easily the best music in the series)...

Mostly my complains are that the story was on the weak side compared to Tales from the Borderlands and the villains are not on the same level as Handsome Jack (although I liked them both, Tyreen in particular was the better villain out of the two), so game it's a solid 9/10 for me. Hopefully the DLC is Tiny Tina/Claptastic Voyage tier like Randy said in the last PAX interview and add the missing characters from older games.
GoldenSaltPillarSep 15, 2019 2:47 PM
Sep 15, 2019 2:02 PM

Apr 2014
I just want to repeat myself and tell you guys to play 198X.

It did not just sparked my love for old school games again. It has thrown a whole canister of gas into my little flame and I am burning now. Feels great.

TelecomSep 15, 2019 2:06 PM
Sep 15, 2019 2:25 PM

May 2014
Darius said:
I just want to repeat myself and tell you guys to play 198X.

It did not just sparked my love for old school games again. It has thrown a whole canister of gas into my little flame and I am burning now. Feels great.

Added it to my PS store wish list. :)
Sep 15, 2019 2:28 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Should be Total War Three Kingdoms. Has to be the be the best base game release of a Total War game since like 2006
Sep 15, 2019 8:01 PM

Oct 2010
gyahahaha, game of 2019?
games right now are so incredibly bad it's actually a joke

i suppose the game i had most fun with were all just replaying old stuff

dragon age inquisition with the trespasser dlc cause i love DA and it's world is amazing (i replayed the entire franchise this year again cus da2 is underrated and good) and the story is good and the gameplay is acceptable and theres some hope for DA-4 so it's not done yet, hopefully we actually get a DA4

then i was very hyped over divinity original sin 1 with epic encounters mod on honor mode , it was prolly the best rpg experience i've had so far cause the mod makes it so much better but there were a few issues with it at some point (its not an official mod)

i mean i think those are the games i was hyped about the most this year and its my 3rd+ replay on both of them

i think Pathfinder:kingmaker qualifies as a 2019 game whch was actually good after its patches/fixes. I didn't like it much initially but they managed to salvage it , still annoyed with this game's difficulty options tho

can't name a single good online game i've played in 2019

gw2 kept getting worse to a point where it became unplayable for the first time in years

smite is the same old same old shit with horrible item/ stat scaling that ruins the fun out of the game and with melees being braindead and overlyforgiving as hell

league of legends feels outdated and crappy as hell, i want wasd

kurtzpel was horrible, lol at ppl still releasing client based peer2peer games with garbage balance and lag/desync with no content

teamfight tactics has more rng than card games do even if i still play it almost daily for a round or two , it's "fun "occasionally but for the most part its a flawed/horrid game

i mean im probably forgetting something but yeah gaming this year has been incredibly bad

lots of music -
Sep 15, 2019 8:56 PM
Jul 2018
incisorr said:
gyahahaha, game of 2019?
games right now are so incredibly bad it's actually a joke

i mean im probably forgetting something but yeah gaming this year has been incredibly bad

in general 100% true but DMC5 was actually really good. off the top of my head i can't think of another really highly above average game to have come out this year though, and especially western games are one piece of garbage after another

and the reason DMC5 was good is its basically a 2005 game with modern graphics lol
Sep 15, 2019 9:04 PM
Jul 2018
I enjoyed Fire Emblem Three Houses and Atelier Lulua.
Sep 15, 2019 10:24 PM

Aug 2018
CondemneDio said:
Resident Evil 2 Remake, easily.
Best RE game, and it also made me play the original (which is a good but dated game).
Same. The only thing i find annoying is that you can headshot a regular zombie 10 times without it dying
Sep 15, 2019 10:33 PM

Jul 2009
Among those released this year, I'm going with Resident Evil 2: REmake. It was my GotY back when it was released and still is now. Just an excellent example of what a remake should be.

Including everything I played this year, easily The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Sep 15, 2019 11:01 PM

Nov 2016
Out of all the games i've played this year, Milf Hunter 3, Undressed and Ready has been my favorite.
Sep 15, 2019 11:02 PM

Nov 2016
fancyjasper said:
heg said:

First Nier was better because you play as a man with big muscles.
Sep 15, 2019 11:03 PM

Jul 2019
SpamuraiSensei said:
Out of all the games i've played this year, Milf Hunter 3, Undressed and Ready has been my favorite.

Really? I thought you'd say Cunt Wars. Yes btw, that's a real game to all who don't know lol. Me personally i liked Warship Girls R
Sep 15, 2019 11:04 PM

Nov 2016
TaiHOE said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

Really? I thought you'd say Cunt Wars. Yes btw, that's a real game to all who don't know lol. Me personally i liked Warship Girls R

Hmm.. those were good games too, but Demon Fister 5000 is a classic.
Sep 15, 2019 11:33 PM

Dec 2016
I've played lots of black ops 4, recently started to play league and casually played some other games.

However, my GOTY that i play every year is still Dark Souls 3.
Hello, I like games and anime
Sep 15, 2019 11:42 PM

Jun 2012
MEGA MAN IN GENERAL, AND
POKEMON CRYSTAL
Sep 16, 2019 12:15 AM

Jul 2019
AtmosphericEntry said:
MEGA MAN IN GENERAL, AND
POKEMON CRYSTAL

I'd have to agree with those, I love mostly any MM games especially original, X, and Zero, and Pokemon Johto was my favorite gen.
Sep 16, 2019 12:24 AM

Feb 2015
I'll be surprised if it's not going to be Doom Eternal. Otherwise, uhm, maybe Minecraft? I haven't played all that much that managed to greatly impress me this year so far, but Minecraft always delivers year after year.
Sep 16, 2019 2:47 AM

Jun 2016
Devil May Cry 5 with the Resident Evil 2 remake very closely behind.
Sep 16, 2019 3:02 AM

Aug 2018
Of the ones I finished, probably yakuza 0, hollow knight or Detroit: become human. Hard to say though.
Sep 16, 2019 3:39 AM
Jul 2018
Sekiro.
honorable mentions:
Hollow knight, Resident evil 1 (remake), Environmental Station Alpha, hitman 2 (mumbai, that kashmirian quest :-))
i still can taste Sekiro, such a great game. i didn't do much else when playing it.
removed-userSep 16, 2019 3:45 AM
Sep 16, 2019 4:20 AM

Apr 2014
beetleMitz said:
Sekiro.
honorable mentions:
Hollow knight, Resident evil 1 (remake), Environmental Station Alpha, hitman 2 (mumbai, that kashmirian quest :-))
i still can taste Sekiro, such a great game. i didn't do much else when playing it.

was Sekiro really that good

I played DS1, DS2, DS3. Loved all three. I have a desire to play Bloodborne but no desire to play Sekiro. Why?
Sep 16, 2019 4:30 AM

May 2018
I make similar thread before.
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1790596

So far Sekiro. I feel 2019 is weak compare to 2018.

Darius said:
beetleMitz said:
Sekiro.
honorable mentions:

I played DS1, DS2, DS3. Loved all three. I have a desire to play Bloodborne but no desire to play Sekiro. Why?

Bloodborne is definitely still better than Sekiro.
Sep 16, 2019 5:12 AM

Dec 2010
Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night
Gears 5 is pretty good, too.
Sep 16, 2019 5:14 AM

Apr 2014
Saturnine said:

I like metroidvanias but Bloodstained looks kinda weeb'ish to me. The protagonist is a female wearing a short skirt... same reason I don't play Nier Automata.
Fan servicing is an off switch for me...
Sep 16, 2019 5:44 AM

Dec 2010
Darius said:
Saturnine said:

I like metroidvanias but Bloodstained looks kinda weeb'ish to me. The protagonist is a female wearing a short skirt... same reason I don't play Nier Automata.

That's a shame, because I thought it's almost as good as Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow and would really recommend it to any Metroidvania fan.
Sep 16, 2019 5:48 AM

Apr 2014
Saturnine said:
Darius said:

That's a shame, because I thought it's almost as good as Symphony of the Night or Aria of Sorrow and would really recommend it to any Metroidvania fan.

But the cute short skirted female protagonist just doesn't work... How do I take such a game seriously.
Sep 16, 2019 5:53 AM

Apr 2013
Final Fantasy XIV Online
Sep 16, 2019 5:55 AM

Sep 2014
I didn't play this year's games much, but I think the last SAO was very good and also Final Fantasy
Brazilian,24yo; —"Man propose, God dispose."
"
Sep 16, 2019 10:30 AM

Jul 2016
For games released this year it is Sekiro. To me it's a perfect combination of things I love - a historical Japan setting and the gameplay of the Souls series - and it brings a lot of innovation into the Souls formula which I liked.

At the moment though I am playing Breath of the Wild for the first time and it definitely has one of the best (if not the best) open worlds I have seen. There are so many cleverly hidden secrets, so much freedom in approaching any task, I love it. I still haven't finished it but I have a feeling it might become one of my favourite games of all time.
Sep 16, 2019 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
Darius said:

But the cute short skirted female protagonist just doesn't work... How do I take such a game seriously.

eh miriam is like a 2/10 on the weaboo factor scale. i don't feel strongly about her design either way so once i started playing that kind of thing wasn't mentally at the forefront for me anyway.

honestly though ritual of the night was a bit of a disappointment for me, there's literally only 1 really above averagely good song in the game, a lot of it is rough around the edges/buggy, just didn't feel as clean as it should. still a fun game but it feels like the kind of game that needs 1 or 2 more entries in the series before it actually gets good.
Sep 16, 2019 1:18 PM

Apr 2014
CowboyMode said:
Darius said:

eh miriam is like a 2/10 on the weaboo factor scale. i don't feel strongly about her design either way so once i started playing that kind of thing wasn't mentally at the forefront for me anyway.

honestly though ritual of the night was a bit of a disappointment for me, there's literally only 1 really above averagely good song in the game, a lot of it is rough around the edges/buggy, just didn't feel as clean as it should. still a fun game but it feels like the kind of game that needs 1 or 2 more entries in the series before it actually gets good.

I just want a good metroidvania. Besides Ori and Hollow Knight I don't think there's any good ones out there. Haven't played Axiom Verge though.

Death's Gambit was a hype for me but reviews say it's disappointing. Devs are gonna release a DLC free massive update/rework soon, so I'll give it a shot then.

Blasphemous was also a hype for me, it came out a few days ago and people are not really gushing about it. Lots of reviews say the game has a lot of flaws.

Kinda sad. Guess I'll just have to keep on waiting.

At least it's nice to know Ori and Hollow Knight are getting sequels.

P.S. Nice profile picture. It's ironic that metroidvania is one of my favorite genres yet I haven't played Castlevania: SotN or Metroid... (no console). I know Symphony of the Night was released on PS4 recently. I don't have a PS4 but I'm gonna buy it one day for sure so will try the game then.
TelecomSep 16, 2019 1:23 PM
Sep 16, 2019 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Darius said:
beetleMitz said:
Sekiro.
honorable mentions:

i think i felt at first that i liked more the world design in dark souls/ bloodborne, maybe because i like more the Medieval architecture and taste, i still do.
even so, sekiro has it's own taste and atmosphere, and the gameplay is really really great.
Sep 16, 2019 1:23 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Aug 2018
[side note] Devil May Cry 5 was such a bummer... [/side note]

Considering that Sekiro was launched this year, I don't know what's the purpose of this thread
Sep 16, 2019 1:25 PM

Apr 2014
beetleMitz said:
Darius said:

i think i felt at first that i liked more the world design in dark souls/ bloodborne, maybe because i like more the Medieval architecture and taste, i still do.
even so, sekiro has it's own taste and atmosphere, and the gameplay is really really great.
Well I prefer DS2 the most because it's more strategic/slow/methodical and Sekiro is more DS3 than DS2. I have strong feelings that I won't like it because of that.

I didn't like the fast combat of DS3.
Sep 16, 2019 1:38 PM

Sep 2018
Pokemon Crystal Kaizo and FFV. FFV was my introduction into FF and it is one of my favorite games of all time (on a side note I am currently debating if I should play FFIVor FFVI. Both look really good and I want to play one more of the FF gmes before 7 comes out in a couple months) and crystal kaizo, the pokemon game that makes dark souls look easy. Enough said.
Sep 16, 2019 2:02 PM

Apr 2014
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1j-6DcHDqY

Guys listen 5:24
also 30:10
Sep 16, 2019 2:15 PM
Jul 2018
xothel said:
Pokemon Crystal Kaizo and FFV. FFV was my introduction into FF and it is one of my favorite games of all time (on a side note I am currently debating if I should play FFIVor FFVI. Both look really good and I want to play one more of the FF gmes before 7 comes out in a couple months) and crystal kaizo, the pokemon game that makes dark souls look easy. Enough said.

oddly enough i haven't played 6 and have played 4 but i would probably recommend 6. strong contender for best piece of video game music of all time is in it and also has some of the best characters in the series. 4 is great too though so you can't really go wrong.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 2 questions about Danganronpa series

Bright_Horn - 1 hour ago

1 by Timeline_man »»
3 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey

Shizuna - Apr 11

46 by 0arche »»
2 hours ago

» What's the funnest local multiplayer game with friends.

SnipeStrike - Apr 16

9 by FanofAction »»
5 hours ago

» Rarest/Coolest gaming related things you own.

SnipeStrike - 9 hours ago

3 by Theo1899 »»
7 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3503 by DesuMaiden »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.