Forum Settings
Forums

What weapon has an anime changed your opinion about?

New
Sep 16, 2019 2:57 AM
Jul 2019
Are there any weapons which you didn't really like until you saw an anime character use it in a totally badass way, or just use it normally?

I, for one, now like metal bats, skateboards, and wielding a metal bat whilst riding a skateboard after having seen Misaki Yata from K do that.
Sep 16, 2019 3:10 AM
Nov 2018
If you ask that just one weapon comes to my mind which is the shield.Before watching "The Rising of The Shield Hero" I didnt think of the shield that much.But,after seeing it I feel that even shields can be something cool and I definitely recommend watching it.
Sep 16, 2019 3:30 AM

Apr 2012
The idea of 'liking' weapons is one I find bizarre.
Sep 16, 2019 3:33 AM
Jul 2019
logopolis said:

Why is that? I don't think it's strange at all to think certain weapons are cooler than others...
Sep 16, 2019 3:54 AM

Apr 2012
semmiesem9 said:
Why is that? I don't think it's strange at all to think certain weapons are cooler than others...

A weapon is something designed to hurt or kill people. These are not activities to take pleasure in.
Sep 16, 2019 4:02 AM
Jul 2019
logopolis said:
A weapon is something designed to hurt or kill people. These are not activities to take pleasure in.

Haha, yeah, I guess that's true. Although most people don't watch action anime because they enjoy seeing people get hurt or die, but because they enjoy the fight itself. Comparable to watching boxing on TV, or other sports.
Sep 16, 2019 4:02 AM
May 2018
logopolis said:

Idk, I enjoy a good bit of target shooting and fencing.
Sep 16, 2019 4:09 AM

Apr 2012
drag0n_rage said:

Idk, I enjoy a good bit of target shooting and fencing.

Isn't really using them as weapons. I'm guessing that while you wouldn't want to wave it around willy nilly, a competitive fencing sword isnt sharpened in the way it would be if it was intended for killing people?
Sep 16, 2019 1:25 PM

Jun 2017
logopolis said:

i'd imagine that most people find some certain weapons to be simply cool lol
Sep 16, 2019 1:38 PM

Jun 2016
I always wondered which was the best gucci service AK: the finnish valmet and sako rifles or the galil rifle? Watching upotte made me realize that the galil is better
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 16, 2019 1:39 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Aug 2018
Boobs... The deadliest of all weapons...
Sep 16, 2019 1:54 PM

Apr 2016
At the start I didn't like glaive but after I've seen Ou Ki use it in a badass way in Kingdom, I’ve started to like it.
Sep 16, 2019 1:54 PM

Aug 2019
Martial Arts because you are a weapon.
Sep 16, 2019 1:57 PM

Sep 2018
Easily the power of words...

Because Naruto proved that "Talk No Jutsu" is way too OP.
Blanks.
Sep 16, 2019 1:59 PM

Oct 2016
Paper from the series R.O.D. ,such a cool ova.
Sep 16, 2019 2:03 PM

Oct 2017
Well I understand is this, a weapon! it would be a good mental rape (philosophy)
Sep 16, 2019 2:47 PM
Jul 2018
Soul Eater made me appreciate scythes fighting for how the animators made it so visually stunning to look at, because honestly outside of fiction scythes are not pratical to be used as a weapon.... unless the other person is tied up and waiting to be executed ofc >->

logopolis said:
semmiesem9 said:

I don't think majority of people like weapons for the sole purpose that they are dangerous items capable of taking one's life if used correctly, but rather most are fans of the crafting and design of said weapons. Japanese swords for instance difer in size, shape, way that it was used in the past, etc.. so is fascinating to marvel not only that but the little custom details in it as well. I am sure many people like to watch programs such as "Forged in Fire" and/or more so related to pop-culture "Man at Arms" for those reasons.
Sep 16, 2019 10:28 PM

Aug 2019
SeidouTZ said:
Soul Eater made me appreciate scythes fighting for how the animators made it so visually stunning to look at, because honestly outside of fiction scythes are not pratical to be used as a weapon.... unless the other person is tied up and waiting to be executed ofc >->

logopolis said:

I don't think majority of people like weapons for the sole purpose that they are dangerous items capable of taking one's life if used correctly, but rather most are fans of the crafting and design of said weapons. Japanese swords for instance difer in size, shape, way that it was used in the past, etc.. so is fascinating to marvel not only that but the little custom details in it as well. I am sure many people like to watch programs such as "Forged in Fire" and/or more so related to pop-culture "Man at Arms" for those reasons.

Just like my anime; divorced from reality, I take most of my experience of weapons from gaming and the media. So most people actually like weapons in movies and games.
Sep 17, 2019 12:34 AM

Apr 2012
Cosmicbeingx said:
So most people actually like weapons in movies and games.

Most boys and young men? Maybe. Most people? Don't believe it one bit.
Sep 17, 2019 1:46 AM
Jul 2018
logopolis said:
semmiesem9 said:

Not for the victim, sure. :D

No, seriously: I also hate edgelord characters, who love to kill and are portrayed as cool for these reasons. A character gets a lot of sympathy points, if they don't have the moral compass of a sociopath.

But since it's fiction, a certain degree of "unrealistic behavior" amd stuff you wouldn't like or do in real life is okay.
You can't say that people, who like action or battle scenes and certain weapons, would take pleasure in real life or anything.

Back to topic: I rarely changed my opinion about weapons. I always disliked guns and now I'm just okay with it. I don't like their design and usage. I rarely liked battle scenes with guns and if I did, it was not for the battle scene, just for the character to get out alive. But yeah, I don't like guns.
Also, I never like martial art scenes. They are mostly completely overdone and becoming annoying in the Battle Shounen anime I have seen. I'm just biased from Dragonball and co. and it was so annoying to watch ridiculously buff dudes beat up each other, while their single hits barely had effects.

But I always loved swords and bow and arrows. They have a very elegant design, imo, can't help myself to think that way and no, I don't want to glorify weapons and killing. They look beautiful, that's it and I sometimes like battle scenes.
And the battle scenes with swords or bow and arrows (or magic and elements imo) are the best and most dynamic in my eyes.
Besides that, I really like battle scythes. They just look so cool and
.. that's it. Might have begun with Soul Eater for me.

Tho, since I watched some specific anime, I also like these (magical) mechanic arms. I almost was disappointed when Allen didn't use it like that anymore haha And I really like the designs of Ed's (FMA) and Reg's (Made in Abyss) arms and functions.
removed-userSep 17, 2019 3:15 AM
Sep 17, 2019 3:03 AM

May 2018
Detective Conan demonstrates a very creative use of many everyday objects as murder weapons.
Also apparently you can use a fan against an attacker with katana and disarm him (her in the show)...if you are skilful enough tho.
Sep 17, 2019 12:39 PM

Jan 2019
I used to hate guns because of how dangerous they are, but anime showed me how harmless they are against anybody trained in martial arts so I started liking them simply for the aesthetic.
Sep 17, 2019 3:40 PM

Jun 2016
DiscoDespot said:
I used to hate guns because of how dangerous they are, but anime showed me how harmless they are against anybody trained in martial arts so I started liking them simply for the aesthetic.

Don't try something dangerous like that against an armed robber. The best defense is always a CCW and training classes.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Sep 17, 2019 3:47 PM

Dec 2015
Anime taught me that nunchaku are the ultimate weapon.
I used them against some guy trying to mug me with a knife. I got stabbed and he took my wallet but I still think he was intimidated by my nunchaku skills.
Sep 17, 2019 4:18 PM

Jul 2017
a sythe. I wouldn't say I disliked it or anything, but after watching anime I can say that sythes are pretty badass.

"Do you know why snow is white? 
Because it's forgotten what color it's supposed to be." - C.C.

Sep 17, 2019 5:03 PM

Oct 2008
Umbrella - D.Gray-man (is what I can think of)
Scissors - Dansai bunri no crime edge
syringe - Dansai bunri no crime edge
Shovel - Gakkougurashi
Paper - Read or die TV
Sep 17, 2019 5:12 PM

Feb 2010
Irl I generally dislike weapons and in fiction I don't really have strong opinions on specific weapon types as a whole one way or the other so those opinions can't really change through anime.

They can be used well or look cool or aesthetic in action choreography, in certain scenes, when wielded in a certain way or by specific characters, but that doesn't really make me feel anything about the weapon (type) itself. Only about how it is used in a certain context or contexts. Black Lagoon has a bunch of really cool scenes with guns, so I like Black Lagoon and its action scenes but that's about it. I never even thought of liking guns because of that, or of projecting my opinion of those action scenes onto the weapon type.
I probably regret this post by now.

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

81 by KittenCuddler »»
2 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 26 minutes ago

5 by Piromysl »»
2 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

13 by perseii »»
31 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 12 hours ago

28 by Kenzolo-folk »»
37 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - Yesterday

21 by L0bsterman »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.