Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 15, 2019 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, Thorfinn really misses his father. What a nightmare the guy just had...

It looks like the episode adapts the Ragnorak chapter but I'm glad they're keeping the violence in tact as usual. Great mind games this episode (although I liked the manga panel of Thorfinn's expressions slightly more this episode) especially from Thorfinn's point of view. He's betting on his time for revenge regardless how complicated it may seem.
Sep 15, 2019 8:44 AM

Jul 2016
Great episode, the previous week was so odd without a Vinland Saga episode.

War never changes. It's a quote from the Fallout series that I really like, and I think it could be used in this series as well. This episode (and the previous ones as well) basically prove how ruthless the characters in this show are, and I am loving every minute of it!

Thorfinn is still not over Thors' death, which isn't very surprising, to be honest.

I really liked the scene with Thorfinn and Askeladd. Even though Thorfinn doesn't realize it, or maybe doesn't want to realize it, Askeladd has become his father figure since Thors died. I really like the direction this series is taking.

We still haven't heard Canute talk, I just want to hear Kensho Ono's voice for God's sake!

Overall, 5/5
Sep 15, 2019 9:21 AM

Apr 2014
Sad that they cut put the r*pe the scene where thorfinn wakes up and see the vikings take a village girl and raping her, showing how little throfinn really cares abt heroic deeds and how far he is from his fathers ideals.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Sep 15, 2019 9:34 AM
Jun 2015
AcceleratorAngel said:
Sad that they cut put the r*pe the scene where thorfinn wakes up and see the vikings take a village girl and raping her, showing how little throfinn really cares abt heroic deeds and how far he is from his fathers ideals.
With the sjws all over the media it's a smart move. I mean even Tanjirous earrings got criticized lmao
Sep 15, 2019 9:37 AM

Jan 2019
Holy shit, I loved this episode. I had high expectations, and it reached them. This is one of my favourite parts of the manga and they did it justice. Though a minor complaint would be cutting the rape scene when Thorfinn wakes up, but it's understandable considering the topic that is covering to be broadcasted on live television.
Sep 15, 2019 9:54 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

I like the weird dynamic between Askeladd and Thorfinn, the latter is only out for revenge against the former but for whatever reason, Askeladd seems to watch out for Thorfinn and help him grow up. I wonder if Askeladd feels responsible for Thorfinn because he killed Thors.

I did not expect Askeladd to just straight out behead that army dude. I guess in these medieval times, it was all about war, glory and fame. Should be interesting to see how they go up against Thorkell and his men.

Sep 15, 2019 9:58 AM

Feb 2018
I don't know how they plan on taking out Thorkell, but I'm looking forward to seeing if they have anything up their sleeves.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Sep 15, 2019 10:01 AM

May 2012
AcceleratorAngel said:

Please tell me what chapter in manga !!

shane_nichols said:
AcceleratorAngel said:
With the sjws all over the media it's a smart move. I mean even Tanjirous earrings got criticized lmao

SJW should be ignored. THey are just a noisy minority
Sep 15, 2019 10:04 AM

Sep 2014
Thorfinn is still haunted by his father's death during his sleep. Loved the conversation or rather Askeladd's monologue. He is true that time is on Thorfinn's side as he growing old and even compared that to the fall of the Roman Empire to the Saxons and now the latter's fall by the Danish proving that even the strongest cannot stay at the top forever. Canute's army got slaughtered and now he is Thorkell's prisoner. Askeladd is going all out to get him so he can take advantage of him. Only problem with this episode was that they cut the r*pe scene when Thorfinn woke up. Here the panels for anime-onlies:
MonkeyDHunterSep 15, 2019 10:07 AM
Sep 15, 2019 10:04 AM
Jun 2015
shane_nichols said:
AcceleratorAngel said:

I think just the fact that there are several innocent people being killed around askeladd's group, already shows this apathetic relationship of thorfinn, does not change much for what material will adapt
GabisuSep 15, 2019 10:08 AM
Sep 15, 2019 10:07 AM

Aug 2012
I really wanna know how they will take down that mad lad Thorkell.

Aug 2013
This was a good episode.

I said this before, Thorkell is a beast. And Askeladd beheaded that soldier like it was nothing.

Jan 2009
the battle is about to start lets see how they will defeat Thorkell

Sep 15, 2019 10:24 AM
Jun 2015
this episode adapted chapter 20 and added sequences of original scenes (such as thorkell breaking into the canute base), is a nice illustration to bring the viewer closer to those characters that will be important to the plot.

I like how this is one of the only mangas adaptations I've seen that respects pacing and totally its base manga atmosphere, the last time I felt this way was watching hunter x hunter 2011.
Sep 15, 2019 10:33 AM

Nov 2017
I love the background music in this anime; especially in the calmer scenes.
Sep 15, 2019 10:33 AM
May 2019
Thorkell is like the HULK , smashes everything.
But I wanted to see that war more
Btw it was a very good episode as expected
Sep 15, 2019 10:42 AM
Jul 2018
Wow. Askeladd never fails to surprise me with his ruthlessness. Canute seems to be an interesting character. Did Thors's pacifism also originate from him moving towards Christianity, I wonder?
Sep 15, 2019 10:44 AM
Apr 2016
Thorkell is seriously a monster, like he's literally overpowered. Thorfinn still struggling with his father's death, well, not unexpected. Their opportunity to shine is here!
Sep 15, 2019 10:46 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I'm enjoying this adaptation of one of my favorite manga immensely. I had not noticed until now, that the OST is actually really good and complements the onscreen happenings really well.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 15, 2019 10:57 AM
Aug 2019
Loved this episode a lot. Will be interesting to see the battle that will ensue between Askeladd and Thorkell.
Sep 15, 2019 11:03 AM

Mar 2018
Another great ep. Can't wait to see how are they going to deal with Thorkell.

“The most shameless thing in the world is political power that can be inherited regardless of ability or talent!”
Sep 15, 2019 11:06 AM

Jul 2014
Much slower episode, almost too much so for my liking even. Now to see how they go about defeating the monster that is Thorkell.
Sep 15, 2019 11:20 AM

May 2016
Poor guy was beheaded brutally RIP

build up episode, that blonde girl flash back piqued my interest!
Sep 15, 2019 11:32 AM

Nov 2016
Thorkell throwing those rocks reminded me of this dude here

And Askeladd is an opportunist through and through. Being so unpredictable makes him truly dangerous.

Really good episode again, time flies with this anime.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Sep 15, 2019 11:33 AM

Jul 2017
Damn, this show is very conflicting cause on one hand, I love the idea of following around from the perspective of the 'baddies' but on the other hand, it makes it hard to root for them lol. Reminds me of Youjo Senki

shane_nichols said:
AcceleratorAngel said:

wait what were they criticizing about that (the earings) lol?
Sep 15, 2019 11:34 AM

Dec 2015
Slow start. 4/5 for me for this episode. (First thought it would be 3/5 only.) A bit much flashbacks and dreaming. When it got to the point with Thorfinn and Askeladd talking it was constantly great. Nice music and visuals and the thing with Canute seems promising. (And Askeladd not being careful - like usual - but aiming for the big rewards after taking a huge risk while aiming to rescue Canute.)
Sep 15, 2019 11:38 AM

Mar 2016
Thors calling his son to go back home, but he refused to answer. Thorfin is so blinded for his revenge he already forgot about the place he grew up, his sister and his mother, looks to me he doesn't care if his family is safe or has already been murdered. Don't know if this can really happen (anime-only here) but I wouldn't be surprised if this guys including Thorfin attack the village where he lived without even realizing it until seeing the corpse of his mother laying on the ground after being raped.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Sep 15, 2019 11:45 AM

Jan 2015
Damn, Askeladd this episode notices he's in the twilight of his life and feels pressured to act now in order to make his mark: it is interesting to see how Askeladd, who up till now had a plan for everything, decides on a whim to capture Canute for ransom and face off with Thorkell, who we know is someone you can't beat without a plan. The reactions of the crew -especially Bjorn- confirm that this is quite out of character for Askeladd to do.

This decision is clearly putting major plot points in motion. Everything, including the last sentences spoken by Askeladd ('let's go out with a bang') is implying there's more behind this sudden decision than meets the eye.

As for the rape scene, come on be honest, did it really have that much significance? (No it did not) As someone pointed out already, it's probably cut because it doesn't really add new information. Not everything is part of a conspiracy to 'please the SJWs'. Also, please don't compare Vinland Saga's treatment of sexual assault/rape with that of shows like Goblin Slayer (because that's what's being referred to, isn't it?).
Sep 15, 2019 11:48 AM

Dec 2016
bjorn's face when askeladd beheaded the messenger-

they're the epitome of bros.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Sep 15, 2019 11:52 AM
Nov 2015
AcceleratorAngel said:
yeah wish they kept it, but I understand why they took it out and it doesn't really add anything besides that they are participating in these activities, I think the episode where they showed him ruthlessness killing those soldiers, and where he basically betrayed that family to be askeladds tool showcases this better, still a powerful moment that showcases a reoccurring aspect of his character but doesn't change much.
Sep 15, 2019 11:54 AM

Oct 2009
They should not have cut that scene, it's not an essential story beat, it's not a dealbreaker that will ruin the adaptation, but it was one of the most memorable parts of the Manga still.

It's completely tasteful, not in anyway eroticised, doesn't actually show the rape but it does show the violence and the fact that even though Thorfinn doesn't participate, he doesn't intervene when we know he could easily stop it.

He was just thinking about his mother and sister back home but he doesn't empathise at all with this other girl who is just as innocent.

As someone who thinks Goblin slayer is irredeemable trash this scene should've been kept in, and they had ample time to have it in there + they've been inserting lots of anime original content to stretch this arc over a season so the absence of anything that was actually in the manga is clearly very deliberate and clearly in this case to avoid controversy which I don't think it would have actually even generated because of how it was executed.
Sep 15, 2019 11:56 AM

Oct 2017
There's only one thing to say about the first half and that's it was beatiful. The later half was interesting, it seems they r gonna head out to fight Thorkel and his men.
Sep 15, 2019 11:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Brilliant episode, and wholeheartedly just glad to have this show back!

Slow episode with a lot of focus on Thorfinn's seemingly unstable mental state this episode plus some spicy developments on the other side of things. Seeing Thors in his dream trying to persuade him to return back home was quite touching but evidently Thorfinn is overwhelmed by the desire of revenge.

Cool little bonding scene of sorts between Askeladd and Thorfinn there too by the way, looks like he, on the other hand, is quite up to something. Scared me there for a second with that swift and out of the blue incapacitation. How the heck are they even going to stand a candle against the likes of Thorkell?

Speaking of Thorkell, some more wild moments of this madlad! Bloody throwing boulders across kilometers I imagine, yikes. Prince Canute is totally beat, I wonder what he's got in store for us next. I find it incredibly insane how he's got a mere 500 men and is yet looking for a fight against the mighty Vikings, way to go Thorkell.

Can't wait to see ow this upcoming battle goes!

#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Sep 15, 2019 12:07 PM

Jul 2015
Pretty philosophical episode.The episode perfectly fits the title Ragnarok.Thorfinn is still haunted by his father's death and his father tells him to give up his revenge in dreams, understandably they removed the rape part from the episode.

Liked how they added Thorkell breaking into Canute's tent.Thorkell throwing those stones reminded me of Zeke throwing stones in SNK.

Sep 15, 2019 12:12 PM

Aug 2019
shane_nichols said:
AcceleratorAngel said:

Seems like anime is fair game at the moment for these social justice idiots, especially the popular shows.

Anyway, gave the episode 4/5. Not quite as hype as Episode 9 but you get the feeling it's gearing up for another epic battle between Askeladd and Thorkell's group in order to retrieve Canute.

Looking forward to the next couple of episodes.
Sep 15, 2019 12:15 PM

Apr 2015
Really loved this episode and the development that it is going to set up for the next episode, I can feel the hype!

Sep 15, 2019 12:18 PM

Jan 2015
TopgunUK said:

He was just thinking about his mother and sister back home but he doesn't empathise at all with this other girl who is just as innocent.

As someone who thinks Goblin slayer is irredeemable trash this scene should've been kept in, and they had ample time to have it in there + they've been inserting lots of anime original content to stretch this arc over a season so the absence of anything that was actually in the manga is clearly very deliberate and clearly in this case to avoid controversy which I don't think it would have actually even generated because of how it was executed.

I personally wouldn't call it one of the most memorable parts of the manga: I mean, I completely forgot that it was in there! You do raise fair points though: there is indeed some nice characterization/significance in the scene and they've been stretching with AO content so there are no technical reasons to leave it out necessarily. On the other hand, not having Explicit rape scenes in your show makes it more accessible to people who find rape scenes a hard deal breaker (and no those people are not necessarily SJWs).

Also I agree with your comments about portrayal in vinland saga, which is why I said this can't be compared to Goblin Slayer. It's just annoying when people start making generalizing assumptions around the portrayal of controversial topics such as rape.
Sep 15, 2019 12:23 PM

Mar 2017
Askeladd is actually fucking nuts! I didn't expect him to do that to an ally of the army... mad bastard. Every time i think he might be a decent guy under all that shit something happens and i'm like "Nope... he really is scum" haha

That nightmare scene was so sad and Thors said everything to Thorfinn that i've been thinking; forget wasting your life on revenge and go back to your home where they need you and become a man your father would be proud of
Sep 15, 2019 12:30 PM

Oct 2009
Callesthe said:
TopgunUK said:

I personally wouldn't call it one of the most memorable parts of the manga: I mean, I completely forgot that it was in there! You do raise fair points though: there is indeed some nice characterization/significance in the scene and they've been stretching with AO content so there are no technical reasons to leave it out necessarily. On the other hand, not having Explicit rape scenes in your show makes it more accessible to people who find rape scenes a hard deal breaker (and no those people are not necessarily SJWs).

Also I agree with your comments about portrayal in vinland saga, which is why I said this can't be compared to Goblin Slayer. It's just annoying when people start making generalizing assumptions around the portrayal of controversial topics such as rape.

It's funny how a forgettable scene to one person is one of the more defining scenes to someone else, all the more reason to keep them all in when you're not stretched for time, I'd argue.

Weirdly while you forgot this scene was in there I remembered the scene but not the dream sequence right before it (while watching the episode I thought it was more anime original stuff).

It's so rare to have a rape related scene in Manga or Anime that isn't supposed to be either titilating or an excuse to have a situation for the protagonist to resolve (or a mixture of both). This is one of the few, and here the point is that the protagonist doesn't even care enough to resolve it even though it's not at all beyond his means to do so. His father would've helped anyone who needed it, at great personal cost but Thorfinn is not following in his footsteps at all.

They had a great scene here that showed that but they cut it and decided to keep the dream sequence where they spell it out far less subtly.

I think the Goblin Slayer comparisons are inevitable because the backlash to that show is almost certainly the kind of thing that motivated them leaving this scene out, even though the Goblin Slayer scene was just hentai without the penetration and this scene is artistically worlds away from it.
Sep 15, 2019 12:46 PM

Dec 2018
The fox strikes again!! Askeladd see the opportunity to make great profit and strikes,loyal to hes village rather then a king ,,Hopefully we get a duel between Askeladd and Thorkell next episode,,In the end Askeladd will probably get away with the loot like always,,,,,I like to see some warrior viking females as well,,,there are a lot of heroines that made impact in history,,Good episode anyhow
Sep 15, 2019 12:48 PM
Jan 2019
I liked the mention that Askeladd made to the Roman Empire, giving reference to what lies ahead for England and the Danes.
Thorkell is a true beast, he was able to defeat an army of 4000 men with only 500 men in his favor. Awesome!.
Apparently, Prince Canute is a pacififist, and I think he is a woman because he hides his face under his helmet.
Anyway, a tough and exciting fight is coming. I see dead people.

That dream that Thorfinn had with his father Thors, reopened the wound.
Sep 15, 2019 12:59 PM

Oct 2017
Can we have an alternate story where the stupid brat dies along with Thors and then Ylva goes on a revenge quest, please?!
Sep 15, 2019 1:00 PM
Jan 2017
amazing ep as always , the rangarokkkkk, this anime is diferent to the others in this summer season . really vinland saga is the anime of the season.
Sep 15, 2019 1:10 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I like how the animators drew Thorkell with five fingers again as if just forgetting that two of them got cut off before lol
Sep 15, 2019 1:11 PM
May 2017
finally getting into the real shit
Sep 15, 2019 1:15 PM

Sep 2014
Guess the rape scene was too much to animate after all. Oh well, I expected as much

HaXXspetten said:
I like how the animators drew Thorkell with five fingers again as if just forgetting that two of them got cut off before lol

Yeah, wonder why they didn't fix that. They had a bunch of time to make a small edit for that
Sep 15, 2019 1:16 PM

Apr 2014
HaXXspetten said:

Thorkell put his fingers back on and they grew together dont forget hes a super human.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Sep 15, 2019 1:27 PM

Dec 2016
What a bunch of absolutely nothing.

Boring slow episode with a huge epiphany dream that lasts too long with already reused footage (where are my wit fanboys now?)

Askeladd's phrases sound like I'mfourteenandthisdeep kind of thing, just shallow phrases to impress teenagers.

Thorkell beats Canute's forces, oh, lets just "tell" what happen and just show a couple of static shots with tons of speedlines to make it look like it has movement.

This boat is sinking faster than their undestructible viking boats.
Sep 15, 2019 1:28 PM
Apr 2016
Okay I was critical. I was rash when talking about this series. But when Thorkell threw those stones like M&Ms I lost it. I lost all desire to keep going. As the series lost any desire to stay coherent. I will just... observe the drama, and try not to refer to this series as "historical" anymore.

AcceleratorAngel said:
HaXXspetten said:

Thorkell put his fingers back on and they grew together dont forget hes a super human.

I actually don't think they did, as at least when the Thorkell and the Asgeird were talking, both tips of his cut fingers were missing. But I did not pay much attention to that, I kinda lost any desire to pay attention after Thorkell became a catapult.
dicecop said:
Guess the rape scene was too much to animate after all. Oh well, I expected as much

HaXXspetten said:

Yeah, wonder why they didn't fix that. They had a bunch of time to make a small edit for that

Honestly for a series like that it does not seem that they care for a coherent adaptation any more than the author cared for a coherent story to begin with.
Re:formed
Sep 15, 2019 1:40 PM

Jan 2015
TopgunUK said:

It's funny how a forgettable scene to one person is one of the more defining scenes to someone else, all the more reason to keep them all in when you're not stretched for time, I'd argue.

I would completely agree in the case of many other shows, but -spoken like a true fan of this story- Vinland Saga has so many great scenes! It's one of few series that manages to make every scene relevant to the story or meaningful in some way. It's why the absence of one or two scenes doesn't harm the show that much, since as you said the same/similar points have been made with other scenes already.
TopgunUK said:

His father would've helped anyone who needed it, at great personal cost but Thorfinn is not following in his footsteps at all.

Like, you could argue from a story-technical point of view this point was made in the dream sequence, and a few episodes ago with Thorfinn burning the house and christian woman more subtly. If leaving out a scene makes the content more accessible to some watchers, I would be okay with that.
TopgunUK said:

It's so rare to have a rape related scene in Manga or Anime that isn't supposed to be either titilating or an excuse to have a situation for the protagonist to resolve (or a mixture of both).

I mean, Devilman (Crybaby adaptation) and any other show that has drawn direct inspiration from it (Berserk, NGE) come to mind as shows that also directly or indirectly discuss rape in a more serious way. It just kinda scares me when people can't separate shows that try to discuss rape, from rape hentai shows.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.