Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 52 53 [54] 55 56 » ... Last »
Aug 24, 2019 3:46 AM

Dec 2018
Thanjh said:
ShanAsuna said:

You give vinland saga a 10 and KNY a 6 then say KNY is overrated? Even if you're rating Vinland based on the manga, that's really off. If you're not, then that rating makes no sense whatsoever

Vinland saga and AOT season 3 are the most overrated animes this seasom
it was entertaining watching your replies in the thread about KnY's sudden praise now you're here lol. I rate based on enjoyment, if Vinland Saga gets worse then I'll lower the score. Saying my rating makes no sense is stupid if I like Vinland I'll give it a higher score. I think anything over 7 is good and so far as a whole I don't think KnY is good. If it was a seinen then it would probably be an easy 9/10 or 10/10 but it's not. For example episode 7 with Muzan and episodes 15, 19 and 20 were fairly serious compared to the rest and didn't have comedy or Zenitsu there to ruin anything and I'd give each of those episodes 9s or 10s.

Oh trust me, the fans of Vinland Saga are one of the most entertaining bunch I've seen. Personally, I will judge people who call trashy online love novels literature, people who think bubblegum pop are masterpieces... And it applies to anime too because I actually consider anime a respectable form of art. In any case, calling something "overrated" implies there's an objective assessment of what's good and what's not and what's getting too much praise for what it's worth.
ShanAsunaAug 24, 2019 11:48 AM
Aug 24, 2019 5:27 AM

Oct 2013
ShanAsuna said:
Thanjh said:
Kimetsu no Yaiba,Dr. Stone and Shield Hero most overrated things I've seen in a while

You give vinland saga a 10 and KNY a 6 then say KNY is overrated? Even if you're rating Vinland based on the manga, that's really off. If you're not, then that rating makes no sense whatsoever

Vinland saga and AOT season 3 are the most overrated animes this seasom

AOT isn't even airing this season, give it a rest, I know persons love to call snk overrated, but do it atleast do it when the context is appropriate.
Aug 24, 2019 5:46 AM

Mar 2018
@keragamming This guy is a psychopath. He took an L and is now far gone. All because KnY is just a mediocre/bad shounen and nothing else, saved by Ufotable....

If you question/criticize anything about it he will draw retarded comparisons with completely different stories. Even Dracula.. like what in the fuck. Comes down do to giving your opinion on TWD and then get an answer saying "but HOTD did it too!!".

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1797182&show=30#msg58201657

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1797182&show=60#msg58206933
poop
Aug 24, 2019 5:52 AM

Dec 2018
Esquirtit said:
@keragamming This guy is a psychopath. He took an L and is now far gone. All because KnY is just a mediocre/bad shounen and nothing else, saved by Ufotable....

If you question/criticize anything about it he will draw retarded comparisons with completely different stories. Even Dracula.. like what in the fuck. Comes down do to giving your opinion on TWD and then get an answer saying "but HOTD did it too!!".

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1797182&show=30#msg58201657

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1797182&show=60#msg58206933

Oh very convincing with the name calling.
Aug 24, 2019 6:06 AM

Mar 2018
@ShanAsuna Don't play innocent my guy. You can read back your own posts🙄. Convincing as in calling someone out who insulted me when giving my opinion because it was too much to handle. Same guy who talks "objective" but isn't capable of unbiased and fair judgement. Suck my ass you on the block!
poop
Aug 24, 2019 6:34 AM

Dec 2018
Esquirtit said:
@ShanAsuna Don't play innocent my guy. You can read back your own posts🙄. Convincing as in calling someone out who insulted me when giving my opinion because it was too much to handle. Same guy who talks "objective" but isn't capable of unbiased and fair judgement. Suck my ass you on the block!
Esquirtit said:
Esquirtit said:

*claps slowly* Now do you feel like a big man?
Aug 24, 2019 5:59 PM

Jan 2014
Underrated

Area 88
Black Jack
Galaxy Express 999
Kindaichi
Many Series of Ryosuke Takahashi
Mind Game
Mobile Police Patlabor
Mobile Suit Gundam - The Origin
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080 - War In The Pocket
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Sailor Moon S
Serial Experiments Lain
SDF Macross
The Big O
They Were Eleven!
Urusei Yatsura

Overrated

Attack On Titan
Black Lagoon
Death Note
Dragon Ball Z
Fairy Tail
Kuroro no Basket
Many Movies of Makoto Shinkai
Naruto
One Punch Man
Saint Seiya
Sword Art Online
Terror in Resonance
The Seven Deadly Sins
Violet Evergarden
Aug 26, 2019 5:45 PM
Apr 2016
ShanAsuna said:
Thanjh said:
it was entertaining watching your replies in the thread about KnY's sudden praise now you're here lol. I rate based on enjoyment, if Vinland Saga gets worse then I'll lower the score. Saying my rating makes no sense is stupid if I like Vinland I'll give it a higher score. I think anything over 7 is good and so far as a whole I don't think KnY is good. If it was a seinen then it would probably be an easy 9/10 or 10/10 but it's not. For example episode 7 with Muzan and episodes 15, 19 and 20 were fairly serious compared to the rest and didn't have comedy or Zenitsu there to ruin anything and I'd give each of those episodes 9s or 10s.

Oh trust me, the fans of Vinland Saga are one of the most entertaining bunch I've seen. Personally, I will judge people who call trashy online love novels literature, people who think bubblegum pop are masterpieces... And it applies to anime too because I actually consider anime a respectable form of art. In any case, calling something "overrated" implies there's an objective assessment of what's good and what's not and what's getting too much praise for what it's worth.

I know you love KnY, but, please stop
Aug 26, 2019 6:31 PM

Dec 2018
OnePunch18 said:
ShanAsuna said:

And I really think Vinland Saga is a steaming pile of... Yea, just to be clear
Aug 26, 2019 6:36 PM
May 2016
So we're talking about underrated and overrated anime? Well, I got one underrated, have you ever heard of Burst Angel?
Aug 26, 2019 7:10 PM
Aug 2019
One underated anime for me is redline. The artwork was mind-blowing good and I liked the whole setting and idea of racing through what was basically North Korea + Warworld.
Aug 26, 2019 7:20 PM

Jan 2019
OnePunch18 said:
ShanAsuna said:

Just ignore him, the more you talk to him, the more he'll pester you.
Aug 26, 2019 10:21 PM

Dec 2018
Elucid said:
OnePunch18 said:

Just ignore him, the more you talk to him, the more he'll pester you.

Well... Wrong again. Anyway, the hypocrisy is astounding. If one is free to criticise an anime in an opinion, why is it wrong to criticise an opinion? What makes opinions so sanctified here on MAL such that they are so "invulnerable" to criticisms? So someone's 3 minutes' worth of typing is more sanctified than a whole studio's months of effort in production, the author's years of effort in creation?
Aug 26, 2019 11:46 PM

Dec 2018
Thanjh said:
ShanAsuna said:

Well... Wrong again. Anyway, the hypocrisy is astounding. If one is free to criticise an anime in an opinion, why is it wrong to criticise an opinion? What makes opinions so sanctified here on MAL such that they are so "invulnerable" to criticisms? So someone's 3 minutes' worth of typing is more sanctified than a whole studio's months of effort in production, the author's years of effort in creation?
Your reactions are so over the top and nonsensical but it’s exact what’s expected from a KnY fan. Nobody’s saying you can’t give your opinion or criticize someone else’s they’re just simply criticizing yours because if you look anywhere outside of the KnY forums I’m pretty sure the consensus is that KnY is nothing special if you take away its art and animation so they think it doesn’t make sense for you to say such things about the best seinen to come out in a long while when so much of this shounen trash is being released.

Let's break down what you said
Your argument: My opinion (that KNY is a much better anime than Vinland Saga) is "over the top" and "nonsensical"

Your justification (that's basically a bare assertion which is objectively and verifiably wrong) : if you look anywhere outside of the KnY forums I’m pretty sure the consensus is that KnY is nothing special if you take away its art and animation

Respomse: Reviewers such Goombastomp, Glass review, Gigguk (just to mention a few) have praised KNY (some even before ep 19 was released, just in case you make another false assertion) not just for its art, but its overall production (including direction, sound effects, soundtrack, and generic but still good story). All this is objectively verifiable facts, you can find their reviews on Google or YouTube.

Your second (more hilarious and again baseless) assertion: Vinland saga is the best seinen to come out in a long while

My response: Vinland saga's overall production (including art, sound effects, soundtrack, direction, pacing) is objectively subpar when held against any universally praised anime (not just KNY, but also Mob Psycho, Fate series by Ufotable, just to name a few).

The only possible redeeming factor for Vinland saga (which is probably why it is being hyped) is the story in the manga would get better (after ep 8, the latest episode released). I wouldn't know and I wouldn't comment on it because I've never read the manga. But given that MAL has a separate title and score for manga, shouldn't all these manga fans be limited to rating the manga high scores rather than hyping up the anime that is clearly not delivering and thus undeserving of its hype.
ShanAsunaAug 26, 2019 11:50 PM
Aug 27, 2019 3:06 AM

Mar 2018
@Thanjh He's pretentious and nonsensical. With his retarded thread in the VS forum discussion he literally admits to not understanding the story and characters but still acts as if he has any valid criticism.

So he makes more retarded claims ''subpar against any universally praised anime''. Who is he lmao? It's not hard to pick some shows which do actually look less stellar than VS. It IS above norm and nothing changes that. He's right on one thing at least, Mob Psycho clearly has more detailed art... right? Jeez this guy also isn't someone who can comment on the pacing of the story because he never understood it so eh (what's even wrong with the pacing?). Believes it's undeserving of hype, only way he can back his claim up is by saying that some anime have higher production values, a living meme right here. I'll wait for the time he can actually criticize it without falling back on completely different shows.

But anyway, just take a look at the links I posted. I gave my opinion on the setting of KnY and he starts belittling me while ranting about AoT and pointing out ''gaps in the story'', all objectively wrong. I think that says enough, he'll never appreciate the richer stories of stuff like VS or AoT because his fanboying for KnY gets in the way.

poop
Aug 27, 2019 9:02 AM

Dec 2018
@Elucid

I'm sorry I have to post my reply to your private message here, but since you've disabled the receipt of messages, I have no other choice if I wanted to give you a response.

First of all, thanks for the private message, I appreciate it.

This would probably surprise Vinland saga fans who have gotten into heated debates with me, but I am honestly open to different preferences in anime. I would never criticise someone for saying, "Vinland Saga is my favorite anime". My arguments with Vinland Saga fans only arise when they are stating an objective statement such as "Kimetsu no Yaiba is overrated, Vinland Saga is underrated".

Now the subtle difference between the two statements may not be immediately obvious to most people, but I'm a stickler for logical arguments and concise expressions (as you have probably observed from my lengthy posts on different forums). When we say something is "overrated" or "underrated", it is predicated on the assumption that there is an objective assessment of anime, in terms of how good or bad they are, because only with this objective scale, can we then proceed to say whether the "hype" or "praise" or "MAL score" given to the anime is deserving or undeserving (overrated/underrated).

I have read and understood your point of view on why you like Vinland Saga as an anime. I do not agree with them, as you already know, but I can respect that you have a different opinion. After all, our opinions are subjective. We like different things probably due to our different personal experiences, upbringing, political, cultural, or gender-based differences, etc.

It is only when we assert or imply our opinions are objective (such as when we use the terms overrated/underrated) that these opinions will be justifiably subjected to intensive scrutiny. After all, something can only be objectively good or bad when there are objective factors upon which we may measure them. I personally believe there IS an objective assessment for the quality of anime and there are several objective factors which we can use to assess an anime. But that's a topic for another day.

Anyway, thanks again for the email. I like engaging in discussions about anime so I appreciate the effort. This is probably contrary to the belief of my "opponents" in forum discussions, but I harbor no ill will towards anyone just because they argue against my point of view. However, I must admit I will judge people based on their opinions/statements because I believe it is a reflection of their intellect and character (as do most of us, I believe).

Best of luck in finding the next awesome anime and see you around on MAL
ShanAsunaAug 27, 2019 9:47 AM
Aug 27, 2019 9:39 AM

Dec 2018
Thanjh said:
ShanAsuna said:

Let's break down what you said
Your argument: My opinion (that KNY is a much better anime than Vinland Saga) is "over the top" and "nonsensical"

Your justification (that's basically a bare assertion which is objectively and verifiably wrong) : if you look anywhere outside of the KnY forums I’m pretty sure the consensus is that KnY is nothing special if you take away its art and animation

Respomse: Reviewers such Goombastomp, Glass review, Gigguk (just to mention a few) have praised KNY (some even before ep 19 was released, just in case you make another false assertion) not just for its art, but its overall production (including direction, sound effects, soundtrack, and generic but still good story). All this is objectively verifiable facts, you can find their reviews on Google or YouTube.

Your second (more hilarious and again baseless) assertion: Vinland saga is the best seinen to come out in a long while

My response: Vinland saga's overall production (including art, sound effects, soundtrack, direction, pacing) is objectively subpar when held against any universally praised anime (not just KNY, but also Mob Psycho, Fate series by Ufotable, just to name a few).

The only possible redeeming factor for Vinland saga (which is probably why it is being hyped) is the story in the manga would get better (after ep 8, the latest episode released). I wouldn't know and I wouldn't comment on it because I've never read the manga. But given that MAL has a separate title and score for manga, shouldn't all these manga fans be limited to rating the manga high scores rather than hyping up the anime that is clearly not delivering and thus undeserving of its hype.
Another nonsensical reply. Your opinion isn’t nonsensical or over the top (I didn’t say it was either) because that’s your opinion and I can respect that. What I was referring to was the way you reply to people even the reason I never responded to your first reply to me days ago was because you went on some tangent about the definition of overrated or something I’m not bother to go back and check.

My point about the consensus being that KnY is nothing special was about MAL I thought that was clear but my bad for not specifying that. Still, I don’t see the relevance of anitubers and online reviewers opinions. They’re just average guys with their own opinions. I haven’t seen those videos and I’m not going to but I can acknowledge that KnY has great production value but I don’t think that justifies its praise when everything else is so lack luster to me. If you were a popular anituber who made a review would I still disagree with you? Yes Would your opinion mean more? No.

You say its story is generic but still good. I don’t see why something should be praised as the next great shounen for it then. Why accept such mediocrity just because it’s placed along side great production.

You seem to value production value more than anything else that makes anime great which is fine but I feel like it’s a waste of a viewing experience. Anyways you mentioned fate series and mob psycho for their production value. 1. They’re not seinen which is what I said Vinland saga was the best of in a while. 2. I don’t care how high the production value of something is. If I don’t like things like characters and story then I’m not gonna like the show I don’t care how well it’s made. Ping Pong looks ugly as fuck to me but I still that it’s one of the best anime.

Lastly you go on to say some shit about Vinland saga that I’m not gonna finish reading because you start taking about manga readers or whatever. Vinland saga clearly isn’t for you. You clearly stated the story would be a redeeming factor, which alongside having good characters is one of the most important things for an anime so I don’t know what to tell you I guess you just like shit than looks and sounds good no matter what goes on in the show.

*sigh* Arguing to someone who doesn't understand basic premises is going to be difficult and it doesn't help that I am brutally honest when I point out people's logical fallacies, because as we all know, when you're engaged in a debate you don't really care what's objectively true/false or logical, you get emotionally invested and the spite you feel from being told you're wrong just makes you more defensive and more convinced of your original position.

But I'm just one of those annoying people who love debates and can't let a logical fallacy pass without a scathing remark. (Honestly, it doesn't even bother me if you don't read this, I'm just enjoying the mental exercise of logical exposition and debate)

Anyway, here's the list of logical fallacies and factual errors in your reply:

1. You don't care about the definition of "overrated". If you don't even care about what "overrated" means, how do you decide what is overrated and what is not (which is the whole point of this "Most Overrated ..." forum)?

2. You meant my "reaction" was nonsensical and over the top, not my opinion, and by that you meant how I went off on "tangent" by talking about the definition of overrated. Well, I've explained why the definition of overrated is important. Let me reiterate it in another way. How do you say something is "beautiful" or "ugly" if you do not even first clarify what the definition of "beautiful" is? Same goes for "overrated".

3. I see you have narrowed your argument from "outside of KNY forum generally nobody thinks KNY is special" to "outside of KNY forum, but within MAL forum". Whether or not that's a genuine clarification or a retroactive amendment of position to salvage your argument, I don't know, but let's leave that aside for now.

This is yet another bare assertion without proof (which btw is again wrong), that "outside of KNY forum, but within MAL, nobody thinks KNY is special". If you go to the general forum about "most beautiful scenes in anime", you'll find multiple MAL users stating KNY ep 19 as one of the most beautiful scenes in anime.

4. I said reviewers have opined that KNY's story is "generic but good". You seem to have interpreted that to mean it is mediocre. That's not what it means. Generic means it revolves around a common theme, a story doesn't have to be "uncommon" to be good. For example, a hamburger is generic party food, but that doesn't mean a hamburger can't be heavenly, or top-tier food, just because it's common.

Conversely, just because something is uncommon, doesn't mean it must be good. That applies to both food and stories. For example, some communities eat tarantulas or other insects (that's uncommon), but that doesn't mean tarantulas or insects are amazing foods, just because they're uncommon.

5. You assert that I value production above everything else. That's your opinion which is clouded by your presumption that KNY is only commendable in terms of its production related areas (art, sound effects, soundtracks, voice acting, direction, etc.).

In any case, even if I apportion equal weight to studio production areas and story, KNY would outperform Vinland Saga because of the significant difference in performance of the former.

And like I said, if you're going to give such an overwhelming weight to the story as compared to other factors (anime production related factors like art, soundtrack, etc.) you might as well be assessing a novel. Even then, the beauty of the language/prose would affect one's rating of a novel. In any medium of entertainment or expression, the story is important, but so is how you tell it.

Anyway, as to your comments about how I'm a "fanboy... that everyone notices and dislikes", that's ad hominem, which is distasteful to say the least. And I see you've prowled the KNY forums and figured out my favorite character is Zenitsu and decided to target him, probably in an attempt to rile me up. Again, distasteful.
ShanAsunaAug 27, 2019 10:00 AM
Aug 27, 2019 9:50 AM

Dec 2018
Thanjh said:
ShanAsuna said:

*sigh* Arguing to someone who doesn't understand basic premises is going to be difficult and it doesn't help that I am brutally honest when I point out people's logical fallacies, because as we all know, when you're engaged in a debate you don't really care what's objectively true/false or logical, you get emotionally invested and the spite you feel from being told you're wrong just makes you more defensive and more convinced of your original position.

But I'm just one of those annoying people who love debates and can't let a logical fallacy pass without a scathing remark. (Honestly, it doesn't even bother me if you don't read this, I'm just enjoying the mental exercise of logical exposition and debate)

Anyway, here's the list of logical fallacies and factual errors in your reply:

1. You don't care about the definition of "overrated". If you don't even care about what "overrated" means, how do you intend to say anything with regards to what is overrated and what is not (which is the whole point of this "Most Overrated ..." forum)?

2. You meant my "reaction" was nonsensical and over the top, not my opinion, and by that you meant how I went off on "tangent" by talking about the definition of overrated. Well, I've explained why the definition of overrated is important. Let me reiterate it in another way. How do you say something is "beautiful" or "ugly" if you do not even first clarify what the definition of "beautiful" is? Same goes for "overrated".

3. I see you have narrowed your argument from "outside of KNY forum generally nobody thinks KNY is special" to "outside of KNY forum, but within MAL forum". Whether or not that's a genuine clarification or a retroactive amendment of position to salvage your argument, I don't know, but let's leave that aside for now.

This is yet another bare assertion without proof (which btw is again wrong), that "outside of KNY forum, but within MAL, nobody thinks KNY is special". If you go to the general forum about "most beautiful scenes in anime", you'll find multiple MAL users stating KNY ep 19 as one of the most beautiful scenes in anime.

4. I said reviewers have opined that KNY's story is "generic but good". You seem to have interpreted that to mean it is mediocre. That's not what it means. Generic means it revolves around a common theme, a story doesn't have to be "uncommon" to be good. For example, a hamburger is generic party food, but that doesn't mean a hamburger can't be heavenly, or top-tier food, just because it's common.

Conversely, just because something is uncommon, doesn't mean it must be good. That applies to both food and stories. For example, some communities eat tarantulas or other insects (that's uncommon), but that doesn't mean tarantulas or insects are amazing foods, just because they're uncommon.

5. You assert that I value production above everything else. That's your opinion which is clouded by your presumption that KNY is only commendable in terms of its production related areas (art, sound effects, soundtracks, voice acting, direction, etc.).

In any case, even if I apportion equal weight to studio production areas and story, KNY would outperform Vinland Saga because of the significant difference in performance of the former.

And like I said, if you're going to give such an overwhelming weight to the story as compared to other factors (anime production related factors like art, soundtrack, etc.) you might as well be assessing a novel. Even then, the beauty of the language/prose would affect one's rating of a novel. In any medium of entertainment or expression, the story is important, but so is how you tell it.

Anyway, as to your comments about how I'm a "fanboy... that everyone notices and dislikes", that's ad hominem, which is distasteful to say the least. And I see you've prowled my forums and figured out my favorite character is Zenitsu and decided to target him, probably in an attempt to rile me up. Again, distasteful.
God I'm not even interested in continuing the debate at this point but I don't know if you think you're special or something but I wouldn't go out of my way to find out your favorite character xD I think Zenitsu is shit and ruined the show, not just by his presence which annoys me but also by the change in tone that he brought with him. He spends his time acting scared and screaming and being used for comedy which I find to be very shit. He has his moments like defending nezuko's box but his moments of being annoying outnumber his moments of being likeable by a large margin for me.

Sure, if you say it's a coincidence, I'll take your word for it.
Aug 27, 2019 10:53 AM
May 2017
Niggas been praising Kimetsu like its the saviour of anime, bruhh if it weren't for Ufotable... It reminds me of the praise of OPM S1, shit is average
Aug 27, 2019 9:55 PM

Mar 2018
@ShanAsuna Oh god, you're not in any position to talk about objective qualities. Not even in giving criticism to be honest. Just like in your thread in the VS forum discussion, you don't back up your statements.

1) What's up with the nonsense about Vinland Saga's production being supposedly subpar in comparison to any other ''universally praised anime'' (you should rephrase this into ''every popular anime I like'' btw). It's impossible to back this up when there's an easy counterexample from this year lol; AoT S3 P2. You don't really thoroughly explain what your criticism of VS is other than ''this is bad/mediocre, that is good''.It's also impossible to objectively analyze the art and come to the conclusion it's mediocre. Try and do so?

2)
I think if the manga explained these ideological issues Thorfinn had, the anime should have adapted them, instead of wasting all that time on the slow starting episodes, which didn't really add anything to the story.

The 3 first episodes literally explain Thorfinn's ''ideological issues''. It showed how the whole village was ingrained in Viking culture, you know, the place of the protagonist's upbringing. On top of that his dad's teachings conflicted with everyone else's. There's a lot of dialogue about honour, it's objectively false that the anime didn't convey enough meaningful scenes to work with. You're nonsensical

I think this quote is also where your true intentions are shown, how does ''didn't really add anything to the story'' explain your position to anyone? How are you ''logical''? You're either deliberately dishonest or too far up your own ass. If you've already seen episode 8 by now it should be obvious why your thread was a huge pile of ill-informed shit.

3)

And in a visual medium you want to be spoonfed right away by internal monolgue? Because if YOU didn't understand it it's the fault of the story? Even if other people did understand it? Again, it's clear you've never studied any form of criticism otherwise you wouldn't be making these ridiculous points. There's nothing wrong with production values or story-telling. You can only fall back to "I didn't feel anything!'', which is to be expected when you let everything go over your head and don't pay attention to other viewers who did pick things up. This is all subjective territory.

poop
Aug 27, 2019 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
I feel as though Re: Zero is overrated. I've already went into a lot of detail in other threads why I think that, so I'll just be brief here:

-Protagonist with 0 backstory, and likeable traits
-Story with no clear direction
-Story constantly kills off characters we have no reason to care for
-Tonal clash between the dark tone and art style, and not for a specific contrast like Higurashi; it's tonal clash for the sake of appealing to more people by using a cute art style, instead of servicing the story.
Aug 27, 2019 10:16 PM

Apr 2016
Underrated - Sket dance, Beelzebub, Golden kamuy, house of 5 leaves.
Aug 28, 2019 12:17 AM
Apr 2011
Underrated: Mori wa Ikiteiru, Yuureisen, Malay-oki Kaisen, Inaka Isha, Shisha no Sho, Magical Angel Creamy Mami

Overrated: Nearly everything popular
Aug 28, 2019 3:53 AM

Jan 2019
ShanAsuna said:
@Elucid

I'm sorry I have to post my reply to your private message here, but since you've disabled the receipt of messages, I have no other choice if I wanted to give you a response.

First of all, thanks for the private message, I appreciate it.

This would probably surprise Vinland saga fans who have gotten into heated debates with me, but I am honestly open to different preferences in anime. I would never criticise someone for saying, "Vinland Saga is my favorite anime". My arguments with Vinland Saga fans only arise when they are stating an objective statement such as "Kimetsu no Yaiba is overrated, Vinland Saga is underrated".

Now the subtle difference between the two statements may not be immediately obvious to most people, but I'm a stickler for logical arguments and concise expressions (as you have probably observed from my lengthy posts on different forums). When we say something is "overrated" or "underrated", it is predicated on the assumption that there is an objective assessment of anime, in terms of how good or bad they are, because only with this objective scale, can we then proceed to say whether the "hype" or "praise" or "MAL score" given to the anime is deserving or undeserving (overrated/underrated).

I have read and understood your point of view on why you like Vinland Saga as an anime. I do not agree with them, as you already know, but I can respect that you have a different opinion. After all, our opinions are subjective. We like different things probably due to our different personal experiences, upbringing, political, cultural, or gender-based differences, etc.

It is only when we assert or imply our opinions are objective (such as when we use the terms overrated/underrated) that these opinions will be justifiably subjected to intensive scrutiny. After all, something can only be objectively good or bad when there are objective factors upon which we may measure them. I personally believe there IS an objective assessment for the quality of anime and there are several objective factors which we can use to assess an anime. But that's a topic for another day.

Anyway, thanks again for the email. I like engaging in discussions about anime so I appreciate the effort. This is probably contrary to the belief of my "opponents" in forum discussions, but I harbor no ill will towards anyone just because they argue against my point of view. However, I must admit I will judge people based on their opinions/statements because I believe it is a reflection of their intellect and character (as do most of us, I believe).

Best of luck in finding the next awesome anime and see you around on MAL

Oh yeah, sorry about that haha. It should be fixed, apologies.
I'm not going to make a ton of paragraphs evaluating what you said (I don't have time for that at the moment.) So I'll make it brief.

- I expected you to disagree with my opinions, I was right.
- There can be ways to objectively measure something's quality, however what matters is enjoyment and taste. If a show has mediocre art but great characters and story and you like those aspects, you'll enjoy it. Vice versa.
- Art is like asking someone what they think of a painting, people will have different perspectives. Someone will think it's bland, while another will think it's inspiring. In this case regarding Vinland Saga, both of us see opposite sides.
- I hate the term "Overrated/Underrated" due to the intense scrutiny of subjectivity as you mentioned. I prefer the term: "I dislike [show]." as it calmly conveys subjectivity instead of slamming forced objectivity while showing immense subjectivity.
About Vinland Saga: If you stay long enough, there's another main character who has a very interesting development that might save you from Thorfinn. That's when it reaches the part where this series gets the most recognition. You might actually enjoy it, who knows.
Aug 28, 2019 9:40 AM

Mar 2016

Every single overrated/underrated anime forum thread in a nutshell
Aug 28, 2019 10:53 AM

Nov 2017
Oh shit, um.. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is pretty underrated? haha.

Idk, I guess any super old obscure anime/hentai is almost always disregarded.

Also why is this thread a thing.

Should've been titled obscure anime that never gets talked about or something instead.

This is bait thread.
Aug 30, 2019 11:15 AM

Jul 2019
Seven Deadly Sins, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Naruto Shippuuden
Sep 15, 2019 12:15 AM
osmamthus wine

May 2014
I'll copy/paste what I said in a Discord chat:

Mo Dao Zu Shi

Guys, if you haven't seen Mo Dao Zu Shi, and you like any or all of the following:
1. Zombies
2. Action
3. Gorgeous backgrounds
4. Gay sexual tension
5. Political drama
6. Strong women
7. China
8. Fantasy

Watch it. It's so good, 10/10, one of the best of the past decade.
To prove my point about gorgeous backgrounds, here are some screenshots, all just from a single episode:

This show is criminally underrrated.

Sep 18, 2019 12:55 AM

Sep 2018
So I've been watching through Cannon Busters recently, and I'm shocked that no-one's talking about it. Sure, it's nothing amazing, but I think it's really cool to see LeSean finally have is work adapted after so many years of trying to get it somewhere.

The show itself is currently around a 6/10. The characters and side plots are pretty cool, but the main story leaves a LOT to be desired.
Sep 18, 2019 1:40 AM

May 2018
OfDeathandLove said:
I'll copy/paste what I said in a Discord chat:

- It's a very good show but it is not an anime...thus not underrated anime.
- Yes, it's in the database of MAL but many people (like me) wouldn't register it as watched here...because it is not an anime.
- So please stop present is as anime because it is not an anime.

MedicalMint said:
So I've been watching through Cannon Busters recently, and I'm shocked that no-one's talking about it.

- The first episode is great but after that the show is quite boring. I like the world and Sam's transformations but this is it.
- Netflix's original animes for some reason are largely ignored.
LB: The Beginning is genuinely good but nobody watched it.
Ultraman is interesting as "anime emulating tokusatsu show" (better than SSSS.Gridman) - didn't sparkle any reactions.
I doubt anybody has heard of Revisions or Ingress (and they + Ultraman are the future of anime).
Only Devilman: Crybaby, Violet Evergarden and Agretsko became popular.
Oct 5, 2019 2:24 PM

Aug 2016
Overrated? Kimetsu no Yaiba. Just a bit of eye candy is all it is. It has nothing more to offer.
Oct 12, 2019 7:32 PM

Feb 2014
badger2k said:
Overrated? Kimetsu no Yaiba. Just a bit of eye candy is all it is. It has nothing more to offer.

Agree.
Additionally, one of the most annoying characters are in this show. That boar head boy and the blonde boy. AnnoyingAnnoyingAnnoyingAnnoying over 9000!
Oct 12, 2019 8:12 PM

Sep 2019
Vi- said:
badger2k said:

Agree.
Additionally, one of the most annoying characters are in this show. That boar head boy and the blonde boy. AnnoyingAnnoyingAnnoyingAnnoying over 9000!

Right. I dropped the show when those two showed up. I just couldn't handle them.

I think Galilei Donna is underrated.
Oct 12, 2019 10:14 PM

May 2015
I would have to say Space BattleShip Yamato 2199 and its sequal 2202. If there are any space battle anime that's not Gundam, this is the one I recommend

Oct 12, 2019 10:19 PM

Dec 2018
I felt like almost every title in the Top 100 can be considered as "Extremely Overrated", so I don't see the point of trying to name some particular ones out.

Most underrated: Angel's Egg, Omoide Poroporo and motherfucking K-On!.
. . .
Oct 13, 2019 3:22 AM

Oct 2018
Overrated: FMA:B
Reason: it's higher rated than my favorites

Underrated: all of my favorites
Reason: they are lower rated than FMA:B, which is overrated because ↑
-Aincrad-Oct 13, 2019 3:25 AM
Oct 13, 2019 3:25 AM

May 2018
The Law of Ueki is underrated. Love that show.
Oct 13, 2019 3:26 AM

Oct 2017
Underrated:- Mononoke
Overrated:- Most of the new shows
Oct 13, 2019 7:20 AM

Oct 2019
For shows I don't care about:
Slime and Shield Hero are very overrated for being typical isekai fare. While they have good starting episodes their plots don't go anywhere and the character development is virtually non-existent. I never felt worried for the characters in these shows either. I knew they were going to be alright.
This isn't necessarily bad if you're watching a show like, say, Konosuba where the premise is comedy. But for shows that rely heavily on fantasy and fighting it puts a heavy dent on my investment in them.
I rated them both 5. Because that's what they are. Just ok.

Granbelm is slightly underrated. Not horrifically so. But it's not a bad show. Not a masterpiece either but I feel it was overlooked as 'typical dark magical girl' fare when the plot was actually more interesting than it first appeared. I'm not going to fight to the death for this show but it's above average and it had some interesting ideas.

For shows I care about:

Kimetsu No Yaiba is one of my faves from this year but it is also horrifically overrated right now. It is not a 9 or a 10. It is a solid 8 at best. It's animation and music is outstanding, but it's story doesn't take risks or take you anywhere you haven't seen before in shounen. Also Zenitsu's forced comedy is very grating and detracts from the show. Inosuke is a bro though. Love him.

Attack on Titan 3 Part 2 is more deserving of a high score but still is too far up the list imo. I'm a big snk fan. I read the manga every month and listen to the soundtrack often, but I feel like the impact of the revelations in Part 2 is what has made the score soar sky high. And while these revelations are phenomenal it doesn't take away from the small criticisms I have for this arc- most notably the forced tension with choosing between Erwin and Armin.

Re:Creators is a show very close to my heart and I feel it is underrated by people. That isn't to say I don't see its flaws. It has an exposition monologue problem and not every character is used properly. But the message it leaves you with is executed very well. It's a story about passion, about creativity, and evolving past your limitations. I don't think this show is a 10, and I did rate it a 9 through personal bias, but truthfully I believe it deserves a solid 8 on here. It's not everyone's cup of tea but what it does do, it does well.

Not really underrated but it surprises me how Asobi Asobase flew under the radar in a lot of ways. It's a darn good comedy that I don't see discussed much anywhere. I feel like it's on a similar level to Konosuba and Kaguya's heights of comedy so it just baffles me that a show with so much outrageous hilarity seems to have disappeared from people's minds. It's a riot.

Oct 14, 2019 7:03 AM

Jan 2019
Overrated:
Sword Art Online - The Plot was poorly written and things didn't make sense and it was too FAR too predictable. I already knew everything that would happen. Nothing about it attracted me as a viewer. It could have been better if it weren't for some the writer's mistakes. > Making the MC seem nearly invincible or just making other character's fight for him, or a few Slashes then its over. The Plot Holes and the bad ending hurt this show more than anything else. The only reason why it went as far as it did is because the Boy and the Girl fell in love. It gave it the Illusion of being wholesome but its just Cliche.

JoJo's Bizzare Adventures - To me, It was average Plot Armor stuff. Guy gets superpowers out of nowhere then beats bad guys. An interesting Plot does not consist of you gaining super powers with little effort then going on to fight. Season 2, Same thing but even worse due to the ending that was very bad. and defied all logic. The 2nd season killed it for me. JoJo's is like a lot of other Shounens with Main Characters who are strong and go off fighting people. The only difference is that it runs in the Family.

Demon Slayer - Another Generic Shounen... How many animes you know where the MC is killing Demons left and right? Too many, right? How many do you know in which Main Character is trying to rescue a loved one from a tragic fate? It would have been a bit better if it was serious instead of > Serious then Playful and Silly then Serious again... It didn't make sense even from episode 1. It could have been a Masterpiece but they botched it. You would only understand that it doesn't make sense if you pay attention to the dialogue. But most people don't because of its distinct and beautiful art style.
----------------------------
Underrated:
All 5 of the Ghost in the Shell ARISE Movies and Stand Alone Complex. Some of the best Animes that have EVER come out. They all had good realism. They character actions weren't some far fetched decisions that gave an excuse for these Animes to exist. NOT GENERIC (cant say the same for most nowadays) > Plots had originality. Fresh Plots you never seen before. They gave us a step back from the overpowered male protagonists going to beat up bad guys. The Graphics and Sound were astounding for the ARISE movies. Ghost in the Shell truly did not get the notoriety it deserved. Probably due to most people seemingly focusing on "Super Powers and an Adventure to go defeat a bad guy or Romance" type Animes.

Machikado Mazoku. How is this cute Determined Demon Loli not getting any attention? I haven't watched too many "Girly" animes but this one stuck to me due to its Wholesomeness and Character Development. Instead of Focusing on fighting, It showed us Shamiko and her family's problems and how she's overcoming them in a different way than most would, despite being the "frail little girl" she is, All while incorporating room for fighting later but not being boring now. Its also a bit funny, There's a lot of random subtle Humor. When I think of character development, This is one of the animes I think about. Ganbatte Shamiko.

The Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya: Oath Under Snow movie In my Opinion is One of the Most visually satisfying Animes movies of the decade. The visuals are 10/10. Usually Animes in our current time either excel at great visuals, or a good story (or neither) However, This Fate has both. The Concept was original > NOT GENERIC. Main Character's Strength was justified and within reason. (if you know about Fate) There was no random idea so we create a little plot convenience just for 1 of the Story's elements to exist. (making main character's family get killed by demons the same night he leaves home past dark and learns about demon). To me it was nearly the best Fate. Hard choice between it and Heaven's Feel 2. No idea how this Fate didn't get much exposure considering how good the Story telling and visuals are. This movie is an introduction to the series so watching the series afterwards would help you understand better how great this movie was.
Oct 14, 2019 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
Overrated: FMAB
Reason: i watched it after i finished hunter x hunter

Overrated: Overlord, Tate no Yuusha, Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Reason: Re:Zero exists

Overrated: Nanatsu no Taizai, Shokugeki no Souma, No Game No Life
Reason: Pointless fanservice/ unnecessary ecchi

Underrated: Black Clover
Reason: It can be bad, but not as much as all of the animes above except for FMAB and Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Oct 19, 2019 11:03 AM
Oct 2018
Lol, can anyone explain to me why some people hate Kimetsu no Yaiba just because it has a blend of drama and comedy? That is the main reason why it is rated so high, not because of "ohh, it has so good animation, so let's ignore the flaws!!". There a lot of shows with amazing animation, but low ratings. This anime is the perfect entertainment - it uses standard shounen formula (train to become stronger => fight => learn that you aren't strong enough yet => train again) and constant cliffhangers to make it interesting, it has drama strong enough to feel sorry for characters (even the villains), it has comedy good enough to make most people laugh, it has characters unique enough to never forget them (I don't believe that anyone can forget Inosuke or Nezuko, ever) and it has enough cuteness for those who need it (to the point that Nezuko already become a meme). The only real things it lacks are - an actual solid plot and mindblowing plot twists, but it is early for that yet as less than 1/3 of the manga was adapted. If Kimetsu no Yaiba is overrated then all other top 50 of myanimelists are as well. If compared to its closest "sister" - Dororo, then it easily wins in everything other than it's completeness.

Oct 20, 2019 12:16 AM

Apr 2019
I know this has already been said so so many times, but Kimetsu no Yaiba. It is good, I will agree there. But 8.96/10 (making it top 20 of all time) is way too high. Personally I'd have this anime put around 8-8.5 since it has a good story, amazing animation and good characters. But I would not say its on the level of some of the animes up there (e.g. FMAB, Code Geass).
my life was made with mematic.
Oct 21, 2019 2:07 PM

Aug 2016
renanmonaco said:
Overrated: FMAB
Reason: i watched it after i finished hunter x hunter

Overrated: Overlord, Tate no Yuusha, Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Reason: Re:Zero exists

Overrated: Nanatsu no Taizai, Shokugeki no Souma, No Game No Life
Reason: Pointless fanservice/ unnecessary ecchi

Underrated: Black Clover
Reason: It can be bad, but not as much as all of the animes above except for FMAB and Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Right on man. Konosuba and Re:zero are the only great isekais period.
Oct 21, 2019 2:25 PM
Jan 2019
Overrated: Chuunibyou-I first watched it when it first aired, and didn't really think much of it. I got more immersed in moe culture, and decided to rewatch it prior to the second season airing. Still didn't like it. Watched the second season. Didn't like it. Sure its cute, but it is so over the top and cringy that I just can't enjoy it.

Overrated: Death Note-I am not going to say Death Note is bad, because it is not, I just don't think it deserves all the love it gets. If Death Note would have been cut off at episode 25, it would deserve so much more praise than it does. The way it ended soiled the good it had going for it. For that, it does not deserve nearly as much praise as it gets.

Underrated anime: Kemono no Souja Erin-It has a good score on MAL (8.39), but nobody that I have ever talked to has ever even heard of it. Erin is easily the best coming of age story I have ever seen. More people need to watch this anime.

Underrated: Glass Mask-Kind of the same as Erin. The people who have seen it rate it highly, but very few people have seen it.
Thegib98Oct 21, 2019 2:38 PM
Oct 21, 2019 9:21 PM

Apr 2016
Overrated: most KyoAni shows. They are seeping in artificial conflict and melodrama.

Violet Evergarden
Every episode
Violet: "Hello. I'm a 14 year old super soldier who killed hundreds of guys. I have no emotions. I do things clumsily. Where is the Major?"
Episode 7
Violet: "OH MY GOD I KILLED HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE, WHY AM I FEELING SO DEPRESSED?"
Oscar bait sorrowful orchestra starts playing

Kyoukai no Kanata
Akihito: "I'm useless; I can't contribute anything to my friends."
Mirai: "I'll help you!"
Akihito suffers what amounts to a flesh wound for reasons only tangentially related to his connection with Mirai
Mirai: "I'm useless; I just wanted to have friends but only caused them to get hurt!"
Mirai runs away, gets kidnapped by Mr. Evil
Akihito: "This is all my fault! If I had only told her that she wasn't useless she might've stayed!"
Sorrowful orchestra starts playing[/i]

Etc for all of their shows.

I'm also not a fan of what they did to Fullmetal Panic. They sucked the life out of it. TSR was a dry, boring slog, and the comedy of Fumoffu was quite stilted. The art and animation also took a hit compared to Gonzo's work.

The only KyoAni production I remotely liked was A Silent Voice... until it went fullblown KyoAni artificial melodrama in the last 25 minutes.
Oct 21, 2019 10:15 PM

Oct 2016
[quote=badger2k]
renanmonaco said:
Right on man. Konosuba and Re:zero are the only great isekais period.
Funny, I'd say Re:Zero was the most overrated isekai if not for the fact Konosuba exists.

Sure, I like them both. Re:Zero especially is the kind of self-reflecting story about wish fulfillment escapism that appeals to me. Konosuba started strong with a funny setup, so I get why people loved it. That said, both fanbases are filled with this absurd "No OtHer iSekAi is gOod!" crowd that massively overrates their quality while shitting on a whole pile of shows they never bothered to pay attention to. Gross.
Oct 21, 2019 11:53 PM

Jun 2019
alshu said:
It's a very good show but it is not an anime...thus not underrated anime.
- Yes, it's in the database of MAL but many people (like me) wouldn't register it as watched here...because it is not an anime.
- So please stop present is as anime because it is not an anime.

Are you saying that because it's Chinese? I thought the standard definition and understanding of anime, which MAL upholds, extends to Chinese and Korean animation being included and not solely Japanese?
Oct 22, 2019 12:37 AM

May 2018
WatchTillTandava said:

Are you saying that because it's Chinese? I thought the standard definition and understanding of anime, which MAL upholds, extends to Chinese and Korean animation being included and not solely Japanese?

I think that this version of "standard definition" is used by MAL because it wants to gather more Far East animation fans under one roof.

The genuine definition is "japanese animation". Good, bad, using western visual styles or not...whatever.
That goes for coproductions too and this is why Cannon Busters is considered anime and Castlevania not.

There is a constant push to change that term for decades. Like in the 90s they tried to call it "japanimation" for some reason.
Now you guys call every asian cartoon anime.
RT, CR and Netflix call some of theirs original products anime just because they use some similar themes and visualisations...

Not sure what is the point here.
Is anime that successfully thus everybody wants it's cake?

This is kind of like pushing blackberries for raspberries...because they are very similar.
Is it wrong to eat both and still recognise them as different fruits?
Nov 4, 2019 12:40 AM

Jun 2016
I don't hate it but I can't say I love either. It's your typical boring shinkai affair that seems to last way longer than it does complete with g rated impossible teenage romance, monotone internal monologue, not giving a damn about the characters, trains and great drawings and music. Parts 1 and 2 were great and definitely emotional and the girl from part 2 is the best character. I didn't care that much for part 3. I've seen most of pre-Your name shinkai and it's pretty much the same. Your name had a light hearted tone in the first half which served as a lengthy character introduction which would have helped this film/sequence of short films.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Pages (85) « First ... « 52 53 [54] 55 56 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

32 by Zimmu »»
6 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

62 by Zimmu »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

51 by LostSpectre »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

26 by Zimmu »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 5 hours ago

9 by TRC_Randy »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.