Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 12, 2019 3:23 AM

Aug 2010
Hello, I've been using MAL for some years now and while it does a great job as an anime database, I can't say the same for its manga counterpart.

I know there is a major lack of manga moderators, but we see more and more entries that have been pending approval for months, heck even years. A few examples that already have their own page, yet are still pending approval for some reasons :
https://myanimelist.net/manga/115963/Shinshirakawa_genjin_%C3%9Bpa
https://myanimelist.net/manga/112478/Tokyo_monogatari

At this point, if you can't even properly update your manga database anymore, is it still relevant to have one in the first place...?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Sep 12, 2019 3:49 AM
Jul 2018
I've been waiting on several novels for over a year now. That's just how it is and even with the couple new database moderators, the queue is still just as long as it ever was. It's probably not going to get any better.

I suggest using anilist.co or anime-planet.com as new entries in their database get approved a hell of a lot quicker than they do on MAL. At this point, MAL is only good for anime. If you care about manga/light novels, you're better off using a different tracking site.
Sep 12, 2019 5:34 PM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
The current situation is a culmination of years of problems, resulting in a queue of over 7000 entries. While efforts to rectify this have begun in earnest, it is an uphill battle that will take a significant amount of time. For now, I have approved the two entries you mentioned.

@StormSky92 While I understand your pessimism, I would like to challenge your assertion that the queue has not changed. In the time since new mods such as myself have been recruited, the queue has gone down by over 300, and continues to gradually shrink even as users begin to submit entries more prolifically again. While it may not seem like much, I just want you to know that it is getting better, whether you believe it or not.
Sep 12, 2019 11:49 PM

Aug 2010
I thank you for that.

In the short-term, wouldn't it be better to just trust users ? That is to approve every 7000 entries, then moderate them afterwards a la wikipedia ?
Sep 13, 2019 12:47 AM

Jul 2017
Apichua said:
I thank you for that.

In the short-term, wouldn't it be better to just trust users ? That is to approve every 7000 entries, then moderate them afterwards a la wikipedia ?
That wouldn't be a good idea. If it's a database, everything is expected to be correct, and there is no way some people won't troll.
Sep 13, 2019 2:11 AM

Oct 2018
FinNote said:
Apichua said:
I thank you for that.

That wouldn't be a good idea. If it's a database, everything is expected to be correct, and there is no way some people won't troll.
There are already a good amount of errors in other parts of the database, and if you look at some of the entries queued, it's definitely best if no users are trusted like you said.
Sep 13, 2019 9:20 AM
Manga DB Admin
Jun 2010
Apichua said:
I thank you for that.

While that would be an effective way to keep people happy, the problem is that 98% of all entries require significant revisions, either because of missing information or wrong information. Since MAL has pretty strict standards (often to the chagrin of certain users), willfully approving thousands of entries that don't meet those standards is out of the question.

In the meantime, I appreciate everyone who continues to stay involved with this process despite the difficulties.
Sep 15, 2019 3:35 AM

Nov 2015
Denji said:
While that would be an effective way to keep people happy, the problem is that 98% of all entries require significant revisions, either because of missing information or wrong information.

Definitely, approving without mod's review is bad civilization, but how about this:
- give permission to submitters edit they own entries before moderators review to fix some miss founded after submit.
- show to everyone all edits with reasons on right part of page to avoid repeatedly submits of same changes. Like this:

Since this topic closed, I never get answers :|
grin3671Sep 17, 2019 5:40 AM
Manga DB Modifications, still not approved:
2024, 2023, 2022, 2021, 2020, Older.
Sep 15, 2019 4:11 PM
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Aug 2018
Oh... I've just submitted some mangas, and I looked at this post >_>
Sep 17, 2019 5:30 AM

May 2009
Thread Locked

It's already been answered by a Manga Moderator and this question comes back pretty often about different entries.

Denji said:
The current situation is a culmination of years of problems, resulting in a queue of over 7000 entries. While efforts to rectify this have begun in earnest, it is an uphill battle that will take a significant amount of time. For now, I have approved the two entries you mentioned.

@StormSky92 While I understand your pessimism, I would like to challenge your assertion that the queue has not changed. In the time since new mods such as myself have been recruited, the queue has gone down by over 300, and continues to gradually shrink even as users begin to submit entries more prolifically again. While it may not seem like much, I just want you to know that it is getting better, whether you believe it or not.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Modifications/Duplicates Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Aarana - Jan 4, 2009

7680 by faratnis »»
4 hours ago

» Surprising Manga Still Needs Approval

Uutama - Today

0 by Uutama »»
Today, 1:01 AM

» TO THE ADMINISTRATORS OF MAL! BIBLIOMANIA!

carhs14 - Aug 12, 2023

11 by jere344 »»
Yesterday, 7:52 PM

Sticky: » Manga DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

129 by BlondieLottie »»
Yesterday, 11:53 AM

» Pending approval items

Marrzo - Apr 17

0 by Marrzo »»
Apr 17, 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.