Forum Settings
Forums

Do you have a "rating system" when it comes to anime?

New
Sep 11, 2019 7:32 PM

May 2019
By rating system I mean a sort of personal thing that allows you to rate an anime, not necessarily the ratings on the site. For example, here's how I rate an anime:

10: Really resonated me on an emotional level and has that little something that makes the anime mean a lot to me.

9: Same as 10. I might see the flaws in something but that won't stop me from loving it anyway.

8: I really enjoyed the anime. Overall a good, fun time to watch.

7.: I liked it! Nothing too memorable, but it wasn't too bad.

6: It was okay. I was at least entertained watching. Might have a few issues.

5: Not impressed. Might find several things wrong with the anime that prevented me from enjoying it. That, or I just got really bored.

4 or lower is if I had lots of issues. I have yet to give an anime a 3 or below, hm.
Sep 11, 2019 7:41 PM

Feb 2018
I'm usually a scrub who goes off a gut feeling, but I do reserve 10/10s only for shows that I feel take an insane amount of risks and at least succeed more than they fail.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Sep 11, 2019 7:41 PM

May 2009
My rating system is basically this:

I love this
I like this
I feel meh about this
I dislike this
I hate this

I currently have this mapped to: 9 = love, 7 = like, 5 = meh, 3 = dislike, 1 = hate.

I am considering remapping this to 10 = love, 8 = like, 6 = meh, 4 = dislike, 2 = hate.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 11, 2019 7:58 PM
Mar 2015
My rating range only from 10 to 6, if a anime is worse, i just drop and not rate it

10 - I really love this anime
9 - I love this anime
8 - This anime is good
7 - This anime is bad
6 - This anime is really bad
Sep 11, 2019 8:03 PM

Aug 2018
Nope.

I throw a 10 sided dice and the result becomes the anime score.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Sep 11, 2019 8:03 PM

Nov 2018
I rate animes only on 2 basis:-
1.While watching any anime,I just want thrills.So any anime which gives goosebumps to my heart then I gives that 9/10.

2.Watching those anime which I didn't expect they would be this much better but they are out of my imagination.Their storyline are on a different level that I can't stop but to keep watching for them I give 10/10. Like "One Piece", "Stein's Gate".

And for rest I just give lower than 9.
"When they're alive, you can enjoy watching them struggle. When they're dead, you can enjoy tearing out their guts. Tales are things you get to enjoy twice."
Sep 11, 2019 8:04 PM

May 2014
I do, its:

10 = 10
9 = 9
8 = 8
7 = 7
6 = 6
5 = 5
4 = 4
3 = 3
2 = 2
1 = 1
Sep 11, 2019 8:04 PM

Oct 2017
On an ascending order from 1 to 10 when I just finish the series.

Later, If I have too much entries from one year I compare them and re-rate them.

Besides that I just go with the site default, it doesn't seems broken so I don't see reasons to come with a new one.

Sep 11, 2019 8:12 PM
Feb 2017
Yes I do. Where is it? On my profile *hint hint*.
Sep 11, 2019 8:26 PM
Aug 2018
I take into account the story, characters, art/animation, sound/music, and my overall enjoyment of the show.

10 - Basically a flawless work of art that touched me on a personal level.

9 - Amazing. Would be a 10 if not for minor flaws.

8 - Really good. I enjoyed this a lot.

7 - Good, but nothing too special.

6 - It was alright. I was semi entertained, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone.

5 - Mediocre.

4 - Pretty damn bad. A waste of my time.

3 and below - Complete garbage. This show probably personally offended me or pissed me off in some way.
Sep 11, 2019 8:28 PM

Oct 2010
Yes I have
I love it a lot and it obsesses me
I like it
I like it because it's dumb
Nothing special, just your regular anime
Boring
It's bad and it's makin me angry
Sep 11, 2019 11:59 PM

Dec 2018
I rated them based on my enjoyment first, then the story/plot itself, and ofc the characters ~
Sep 12, 2019 2:26 AM

Jul 2016
I used a 1-5 kinda scale but with kind of a +/-

5 and 6 (so a 3) are both average but 5 would be a - and 6 would be a +

So its something like;
1(-),2(+)= awful
3(-),4(+)= bad
5(-),6(+)= average
7(-),8(+)= good
9(-),10(+)= great

If say a show like arifureta, even though its awful, it did make me chuckle and enjoy its awfulness so it gets a 2 instead of a 1

Though a favourite may unjustly get a 10
Sep 12, 2019 2:32 AM

Jul 2017
yes, I have one. it is not to have any.
Sep 12, 2019 3:00 AM
Sep 2019
As someone new:
10/10: really enjoyed, potentially caused me to cry
9/10:enjoyed, probably would recommend
8/10: good, not the most amazing, but usually enjoyed a lot anyways
7/10: alright, not the hugest fan of it, but good anyways
6/10:can't recommend to most people, and didn't enjoy myself
5/10:bad, just didn't feel like something that made me feel anything
4/10:really bad
3/10:painfully bad
2/10:don't watch
1/10:DELETE ALL TRACES OF THIS FROM EXISTENCE
Sep 12, 2019 3:04 AM

Jan 2013
Ericonator said:
I do, its:

10 = 10
9 = 9
8 = 8
7 = 7
6 = 6
5 = 5
4 = 4
3 = 3
2 = 2
1 = 1

The only correct answer. Either everyone uses the same scoring system, or the scores don't mean anything.
Sep 12, 2019 3:24 AM

Jan 2010
Not really, but I have some requirements for 10 score.

- It fits my preferences of the type of anime I like (which is usually action, super power,...)
- Have the ability to easily move my emotion (no matter if it is intended or not)
- I don't find any of the main cast annoying
- I find myself very attached to one or more of the main cast (and other major characters)
- The relationship between the characters must be deep and great enough to born a new OTP
- Glorious music to add to epic moments is a plus
- Distinctive and somewhat original story in it's own way
- Must contain some form of bromance or very deep or complicated bond between the main cast
- Has multiple epic, unforgettable moments
- I find myself extremely hyped everytime I watch it
- I find myself rewatch it unlimited times
- I find myself buried in it's meta, theories, character analysis, fanarts, fanvids, fanfics, doujinshis for years to come
Sep 12, 2019 3:33 AM

Apr 2013
Hmm I only rate by enjoyment, which is usually how much I wanna watch the next episode. But I'll try to describe it.

10 = Masterpiece, either great story- and characterwise or influenced me in some way
9 = Great anime that just had something missing to become a 10
8 = Very good anime that I would recommend to everyone
7 = Good anime, but nothing special
6 = Alright anime, just above average
5 = Average anime, if I had known beforehand I wouldn't have started it
4 = Meh anime with at least one redeemable feature
3 = Boring show that a normal person would've dropped after a few episodes
2 = Stupid story and stupid characters, all around bad
1 = Worst things I ever laid my eyes upon with nothing that made it remotely enjoyable
Sep 12, 2019 3:51 AM
Jul 2018
To me it's just:-

1-4: Disliked, to varying degrees.
5: Meh, average.
6-10: Liked, to varying degrees.

Simple as that.
Overcomplicating it any further is just a waste of time in my opinion.

Sep 12, 2019 3:58 AM

Dec 2015
I wrote in my bio, but I'm still not comfortable with it, specially because of this 1-10 rating system. There are a lot of shows (specially the ones I gave a 7 or 8) that clearly are weaker or stronger than other ones I gave the same rating, but upgrading or downgrading my rate would be too much for this show, so I just leave as it is
Sep 12, 2019 4:05 AM

Oct 2008
10 - If I'm lucky a once in ten years occurrence.
9 - Once a year, at most three times, proves to me that brilliant anime are still being worked on.
8 - A handful every season and a great feeling of anticipation every time.
7 - Anime that will continue to fill me with hope, as long as there is a fair amount every year.
6 - Pleasant anime that are average, generic and just okay.
5 - A little disappointing
4 - Repetitive, cliche and unoriginal
3 - Annoying, ridiculous and stupid
2 - Wasted potential, boring
1 - An anime that infuriates me (the plot is steered in a stupid direction, the characters are passing me off.
Sep 12, 2019 5:35 AM
Dec 2017
Yep.

10: I didn't notice any flaws in the anime. In some cases, I might give an anime this rating even when I notice the flaws but this is because I don't think it deserves a lower score. I also have different tiers of 10 anime. There's low 10, medium 10, high 10, and middle tiers. For example, Banana Fish is a high 10 while Noragami is a low-medium 10.

9. A great anime with flaws that hinder enjoyment a little

8. A good show with very noticeable flaws

7. A show that isn't bad but I wouldn't feel right calling good (Or a show that was boring)

Anything under the score of 7 is worse than a majority of the anime I've seen. I also tend to drop anime that have high chance of getting a score like this.

Sakurai_AoiSep 12, 2019 5:46 AM
Sep 12, 2019 5:38 AM

Oct 2018
10- fantastic
5- average
1- shit

Maybe I use the rating system so kindly provided to us on this website...

Sep 12, 2019 6:33 AM

Feb 2018
If you value subjectively, then it is not a ''professional thing'', the use of scoring is based on facts and fundamentals, not on whether you feel comfortable looking at it or not, whether you like it or not, whether you are excited or not.
Sep 12, 2019 7:47 AM
Jul 2018
Ratings don't matter
I only watch anime because my inner demon urges me too (Socrates)
Sep 12, 2019 7:49 AM

Dec 2018
Effectively no because I change my system like every couple months because I feel the current one is inadequate. I'm considering deleting my scores altogether like with my anilist profile
Sep 12, 2019 8:58 AM

Jan 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I love this
I like this
I feel meh about this
I dislike this
I hate this

I currently have this mapped to: 9 = love, 7 = like, 5 = meh, 3 = dislike, 1 = hate.

I am considering remapping this to 10 = love, 8 = like, 6 = meh, 4 = dislike, 2 = hate.

I like your current system more, because the meh = 5 (average) aligns better with MAL's system, than meh = 6 does.

OT: This is my system. It was build with a median(the 0) to balance both sides (5 higher ratings, 5 lower ratings) and I had the idea in mind, that a negative rating (rating < 0) gets the point better across if its bad.

5 : Perfect / Near Perfection
4 : Brilliant
3 : Very good
2 : Good
1 : Fine
0 : Mediocre
-1 : Underwhelming
-2 : Bad
-3 : Very Bad
-4 : Horrendous
-5 : Garbage
Sep 12, 2019 9:12 AM

May 2009
MandarBloodeagle said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

I love this
I like this
I feel meh about this
I dislike this
I hate this

I like your current system more, because the meh = 5 (average) aligns better with MAL's system, than meh = 6 does.

OT: This is my system. It was build with a median(the 0) to balance both sides (5 higher ratings, 5 lower ratings) and I had the idea in mind, that a negative rating (rating < 0) gets the point better across if its bad.

5 : Perfect / Near Perfection
4 : Brilliant
3 : Very good
2 : Good
1 : Fine
0 : Mediocre
-1 : Underwhelming
-2 : Bad
-3 : Very Bad
-4 : Horrendous
-5 : Garbage
Re 5 - You're right, and that's why I picked it, though it doesn't match with Anime-Planet's system, where instead I end up with 4.5 = love, 3.5 = like, 2.5 = meh, 1.5 = dislike, 0.5 = hate.

I guess I could switch it on one site but not the other? lol
For what it's worth, if you import your MAL list onto A-P you'll end up with that conversion, 5 stars = 10 points, broken up at half-stars for each point. So a 6/10 here is a 3 stars there.

Hummingbird/Kitsu also had/has(?) a thing where you can rate stuff negative/neutral/positive, and they correlate that to 2/6/10.

As for your scale, you run into the problem of either -5 or +5 being unrepresented on a 10-point scale.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 12, 2019 9:15 AM

Dec 2015
Naah, I'm a newbie and I score based on enjoyment.
But ofc it exist factors that can make me enjoy a show more then another one.
Normal the shows that I have giving a low score is beacuse it's childish, boring or just dumb.

Sep 12, 2019 9:16 AM

Sep 2018
I just use the rating system from MAL and i truly use every score i mean a 1 IS to be given and its basicially the same as a 9 just the other way around.
10 is not perfect but near that.
I wrote a more complex one on my profile but it depends how much i value enjoyment.
Sep 12, 2019 9:28 AM

Jun 2015
10 - i literallyy didnt find any flaws with this anime. not even one. this rating is incredibly rare.
9 - amazing show, almost a 10 but does have some flaws, which however can be overlooked and dont affect the final enjoyment
8 - very good show with a few flaws that cant be overlooked
7 - overall flawed show but still enjoyable
6 - enterainment-only anime, its just "okay" objectively but did keep me entertained
5 - mediocre show, wasted potential, etc. may or may have not kept me entertained
4 - mediocre show that did not entertain, boring, more flaws than positive points
3 - overall bad show, some signs of things that could have been exploited better
2 - bad show in every sense, nothing shows not even a bit of possible potential, nothing is good
1 - i dont think ive ever given this rating? it would be like a 2 but with absolutely nothing to enjoy. like its so bad you cant even laugh at how bad it is.

I AM THE ONE CALLED POWER!
ANIME LIST  🩸 MANGA LIST  🩸 CARDS  🩸 CHALLENGES 
How foolish and conceited these humans be... 

Sep 12, 2019 9:38 AM

Mar 2016
10 - generally excellent, true art, great personal significance or enjoyment, or simply a work that explores a theme of interest better than anything else around (except maybe compared to novels)
9 - as above, but slightly lower on the art/quality/uniqueness/significance and interest scale
8 - overall, a show I found good or fun, but not amazingly so
7 - shows that have something lacking that I found significant
6 - failures with some redeeming value
5 - Sword Art Online, Pingu in the City
4 - bad, but, strictly speaking, better than an anime about a talking fart
3 - as bad as an anime about a talking fart, or the actual anime about a talking fart
2 - worse than an anime about a talking fart
1 - Pupa, Conception

Overall, I'm pretty generous with my 10s, and I reserve 5 and 1 as special ratings only few shows get.
Sep 12, 2019 10:29 AM

Jan 2017
GlennMagusHarvey said:

As for your scale, you run into the problem of either -5 or +5 being unrepresented on a 10-point scale.

The problem with my scale is that my 0 doesn't fit, because a 10-point scale doesn't have a direct median (MAL's median is 5.5).
MandarBloodeagleSep 12, 2019 10:53 AM
Sep 12, 2019 10:38 AM

Sep 2019
10= FUCKING AMAZING ANIME AND VERY MEMORABLE
9= like 10, but SOME flaws
8= fucking great
7= it was good
6=meh
5= mediocre
4= bad
3= very bad
2=horrible
1= (this is a pretty unpopular opinion but:) fairy tail
one piece
episode 321
15:46 (or 16:33)
you're welcome
Sep 12, 2019 12:11 PM

Oct 2017
A copy paste from my profile page:

10 = Personal Favorite (Self Explanatory)

9 = A Must Watch (^)

8 = Great (Strongly Recommend)

7 = Good (Can Recommend)

6 = Above Average (Enjoyed but can't Recommend)

5 = Average (Bland and Boring)

4 = Below Average (Avoid)

3 = Bad (RUN)

2 = Terrible (I SAID FUCKING RUN)

1 = WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!? (YOU SHOULD HAVE LISTENED)

In my opinion, 10's are really just 9's that touched me on a personal level. So I really just rate shows 1-9 and 10 is just my favorites list mostly.
Sep 12, 2019 12:29 PM

Jul 2017
no i just rate it how good it is. Idk why some people have a criteria, just give it a score you feel it deserves lol. And those who leave out some scores and only rate like 1, 3, 5, 7, 9... etc. I really don't get that and I think that's even stupider than not even rating anything. In my opinion there is a large gap between scores, like a 7 or an 8, so if you decide to only use half of the scores your list is not accurate, why even bother doing it.

More topics from this board

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 2 hours ago

15 by Molotofee »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

52 by Oofmastre9000 »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Apr 22

18 by Memore »»
6 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

19 by Memore »»
10 minutes ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 37 minutes ago

1 by -Kugeki- »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.