Forum Settings
Forums

Does it piss you off when people write a review after watching 3-4 episodes of a show??

New
Sep 9, 2019 7:13 PM

Jan 2019
For me yes, because shows that have a slow build up aren't given a fair shake. Also do you guys think there should be a threshold for how many episodes you watch before you rate it? (I know people can lie but still)
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 9, 2019 7:20 PM

Jul 2019
I wouldn't say it pisses me off but It gives me information on what I would expect in the first few episodes and it then helps me decide if I want to wait for newer episodes to air and then watch the show or just not watch it.
EndustSep 10, 2019 8:08 AM

Sep 9, 2019 7:29 PM

Aug 2018
Espio74 said:
For me yes, because shows that have a slow build up aren't given a fair shake. Also do you guys think there should be a threshold for how many episodes you watch before you rate it? (I know people can lie but still)

I think they should make it so you have to watch at least half the anime until you can make a review.
And for the love of " i really enjoyed the anime even if it has a 6/10" they should add an enjoyment bar under the score, like the ones where you go and vote 1/5 or 5/5 for the episode cause i feel that some animes are really enjoyable but are just killed by the reviewers cause "not enough plot bla bla progression" (keep ya bloody pickforks and torches down if i offended y'all with this) if you know what i mean. So people can see that the anime is quite enjoyable even with just a 6 or 6.5/10 and not push people away because of the low score.
Sep 9, 2019 7:30 PM
May 2018
No, not really since I pretty much only read reviews for already finished titles, or for on-going ones that I myself am caught up with.

I don't read reviews to see if anime is good, or not, I just like to know other people's opinions about something that I myself experienced.

For instance, for me tehnominator who is no longer active on MAL is probably the best reviewer on this site to this day, and she had that great way with words that I really enjoyed reading her reviews, even if I dissagreed with some of those.

That all being said, while there are many, many titles that only "get good" later, I do think that one can in some way pretty much decide what they think about certain show even when only 2-3 episodes are released.
Sep 9, 2019 7:33 PM

Jul 2017
nahh, unless the review is over criticizing the show (or in some cases overpraising it) then it doesn't really matter. Early reviews can give a good insight (when actually done right) as to if the show seems like a good watch or not
Sep 9, 2019 7:37 PM

Oct 2018
honestly, to me, it really depends on the person writing it. but sometimes it does piss me off when its over criticized or over praised (especially if its the second season of the show). i know some people make reviews after one or two episodes and start saying how they loved s1 and give praise to how good s2 is (with the few eps already released and some don't finish the series after all eps are released) without waiting for the rest of the eps to be released.

♔ 𝘴𝘦𝘵 © 𝘢𝘳𝘢𝘣𝘦𝘳𝘶
Sep 9, 2019 7:41 PM

Jun 2016
sometimes yes, i mean why you even bother review if you not gonna finish the anime
Sep 9, 2019 7:45 PM

Feb 2016
Not really, first impressions are always important. BUT, if said reviewer main criticism is something that gets fixed later on and drops it before it, then I try to encourage them to give it another try.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Sep 9, 2019 8:06 PM

Oct 2014
Not really because they're just first impressions. It shows what's the new hot thing and if it's worth checking out. I see it as much more helpful than harmful for the average user who decides based on scores and whatnot.
Sep 10, 2019 1:43 AM

May 2018
"Does it piss you off when people write a review after watching 3-4 episodes of a show?"
No if the reviewer is conscious about this being only a partial review.

There are people like "I saw 2 episodes and I am pretty sure where this show is going...", no you can't tell.
You can only see if this anime is for you or not.

alshuSep 10, 2019 2:08 AM
Sep 10, 2019 1:46 AM

Jun 2019
No it doesn't, since I also publish reviews after seeing only the first few episodes of a show lul
Sep 10, 2019 1:50 AM
Jul 2018
Only when the reviewer is assuming things that has not happened.
alshu said:

No if the reviewer is conscious about this being only a partial review.

There are people like "I saw 2 episodes and I am pretty shore where this show is going...", no you can't.
You can only see if this anime is for you or not.

Sep 10, 2019 1:58 AM

Jul 2017
There is a threshold, but only for your score to count. You need to watch 1/5 of the show. I do think this should apply to reviews and I do think it should be higher than 1/5.
Sep 10, 2019 2:05 AM

Jan 2014
I mean......i much rather review something that i already finished but i could see why people would want to write down their early opinion. It's easier to get attention to your reviews early on with shows that only have like 2 other reviews after all.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Sep 10, 2019 2:44 AM

Apr 2012
Espio74 said:
The real issue is that, after literally years of complaints, MAL still allows airing shows to get reviews. And the only reason that could be is to attract traffic (cause with that simple rule you would cut the work of review mods in half), so that's despicable.
Sep 10, 2019 3:07 AM

Apr 2018
Nope, but it does piss me off when people complain about early reviews/ratings
Sep 10, 2019 3:40 AM

Feb 2017
Psajdak said:
I don't read reviews to see if anime is good, or not, I just like to know other people's opinions about something that I myself experienced.

i am the same. Sometimes its just interesting to see what other ppls thoughts are and thats why i read reviews from time to time.

If someone reviews an anime after watching 3-4 episodes its most likely not a very good review anyways.
I like honest reviews that arent all praise or all hate.
There are always good points and bad points and some reviewers do a really good job about mentioning both.

AWC_mod said:

Jan 01 - Sep 29 || Angelic Expert, Persistent Master of TV || #2297 || #76 || @ManuelB87

Sep 10, 2019 3:43 AM
Jul 2018
imagine reading the reviews on MAL when like half of them sometimes are just straight up trolling, but MAL allows that shit sadly
Sep 10, 2019 4:08 AM

Jan 2019
vhagar8 said:

Ahahah, the good ol' turn it against OP.
Sweet one.
Sep 10, 2019 4:21 AM
Sep 2018
Not really, it's up to people themselves on how they want watch the shows..
Sep 10, 2019 4:21 AM

Apr 2018
Elucid said:
vhagar8 said:

Ahahah, the good ol' turn it against OP.
Sweet one.

Lol, it might look like a joke, but I'm actually annoyed at people complaing on the matter.
When people are evaluating something incomplete, they take that into account. People assuming that other people are trying to predict the future quality of the show is pretty annoying.
vhagar8Sep 10, 2019 4:25 AM
Sep 10, 2019 4:27 AM

Oct 2010
It doesn't worry me if that's the question, but I prefer to ignore those reviews because I don't find them particularly useful.
Sep 10, 2019 4:32 AM

Feb 2015
It's only annoying when the show's already finished and an unfinished review sits at the top reviews on the anime's MAL page.
Sep 10, 2019 4:32 AM

Dec 2015
No, beacuse you can get a understanding of how the show will turn out just based on the first 10 minutes of the first eps.
And writing a review of the first eps, what's wrong with that ?

If something is wrong, it's people writing review's like it's a place to express you hate feeling and how dumb you are.

Writing reviews that is just a bunch of hate words, or wiring dick 999x times or something liek asdjsdjasdj asdjajsdjas sajdajsd and over, that's something that is pissing me off when I see it.

That's not a review, it's based on lack of IQ.

But I think everyone shoud feel free to write a review if it's a review.
It's not a place to act like a clown and show the world what a goldfish got more IQ then you, and that you have problem breathing to the right direction.

And it's the same about scoring a show, normal I can score a show based on the first 5 minutes into the show, it's very common for me to never change the score either after I finish it.
If I'm wrong normal the scoring is just going up with 1 point or down with 1 point.

Sep 10, 2019 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
4 episodes out of a 11-13 episode series are sufficient for reviews. For 24+ episode series, not so much
Sep 10, 2019 4:56 AM

Jan 2015
JKEY37 said:
This is Unrelated but it pisses me off when I see someone that writes a review about a show and give it a 1 or 2 when they've watched the whole season. I've seen a lot of people write reveiws for a 30+ episode show and say how bad it was. if you watched 30 episodes, It can't be on a 1 or 2 scale. 1 is appaling and 2 is horrible.

well you can't blame then buddy .cause it mostly happens when someone recommended them that show.

my friends suggested me watch one piece they put me on "it's gets better later trap"
i was like sure why not so i binged one piece averaging around 40+episodes a day (if you have watched it you know that the actual average anime episode run time is around 10-15min rest is just recap op/ed ).then asked then when will "it" happen they told me it goes down in marineford arc(which is after 400episode ) .

then i dropped one piece and gave it 1 rating(unfortunately mal doesn't have a 0 score option) since marineford was average at best considering the amount of time one has to invest to reach that arc.

i tell all my friends to stay away from that anime.

Sep 10, 2019 6:31 AM

Jan 2015
Espio74 said:

those reviews are particularly helpful for airing shows mate.
sometimes i don't have ptw list and want to watch a good show even though it hasn't completely aired.so i end up reading those reviews and binge the episodes which have aired.

as for completed shows i don't bother reading those reviews like you said some shows have slow build up i completely agree.

Sep 10, 2019 6:39 AM

Jan 2015
JKEY37 said:
aditya47 said:

well you can't blame then buddy .cause it mostly happens when someone recommended them that show.

my friends suggested me watch one piece they put me on "it's gets better later trap"
i was like sure why not so i binged one piece averaging around 40+episodes a day (if you have watched it you know that the actual average anime episode run time is around 10-15min rest is just recap op/ed ).then asked then when will "it" happen they told me it goes down in marineford arc(which is after 400episode ) .

then i dropped one piece and gave it 1 rating(unfortunately mal doesn't have a 0 score option) since marineford was average at best considering the amount of time one has to invest to reach that arc.

i tell all my friends to stay away from that anime.

That's what I mean, It can't be a 1 if you watched that many episodes. 1 means appalling. If it really was appalling, You would've dropped it. I do understand what you mean about people that keep saying it gets better but still, If it was appalling, would've dropped it.

ah soo true mate but then again can we actually rate something a 1 cause there would be atleast one thing that you liked about that show.eg artwork,character,soundtrack,side character.

i checked your list as well seems like you also don't give a score below 5 :)

Sep 10, 2019 6:46 AM

Oct 2018
I never read reviews, so no.

I don't rely on those
Sep 10, 2019 7:09 AM
Aug 2018
I honestly don't trust MAL's reviews.
Sep 10, 2019 7:10 AM

Jul 2017
personal experience man

personal experience.
Sep 10, 2019 7:11 AM

Jul 2016
No, not really. Because people are allowed to do what they want and it doesn't really affect my life very much. You can always just not read them.
Sep 10, 2019 7:14 AM

Jul 2013
No real point getting angry about it. No one should read reviews anyway, they're subjective and don't in any way reflect how you personally would feel about the show
Sep 10, 2019 7:39 AM

Sep 2019
This site is good. It has reviews and so many people to talk about anime. I will sure read them as sometimes it gives u an idea of the show.
"I think I wanted to attack something. Like betraying people or hurting people. And, well, it's not exactly nice, but hurting the readers too... In all honestly, I feel that's what I really wanted to do. For me, as a reader, when I think, "this manga will remain in my heart," it means, for example, it phenomenally hurt me: It's those kinds of experiences I'm after." - Pajime Hisayama (My favourite hurting author).
Sep 10, 2019 7:54 AM

Oct 2016
If it's airing at the moment then no, first impressions help when deciding to give a show a chance or not. With that said, if the series shows a change later on, that review should be updated.
Sep 10, 2019 2:19 PM

May 2009
This isn't something I would do, but it doesn't piss me off either.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 10, 2019 9:04 PM
Jan 2015
I just don't really bother with user reviews. They aren't useful unless you have similar taste to the reviewer and i can't be bothered to check everytime.
My Queens

Sep 10, 2019 10:01 PM
Dec 2017
Doesn't piss me off apart from the ones you can tell that they wrote that review after watching the first episode and had it sitting there on their computer just waiting for the time to click over for when they could post it. And if you are going to review something half way through you should also be willing to come back at the end and update it.
Sep 10, 2019 10:13 PM

Oct 2013
Personally I think it's about as dumb as complaining that an ecchi harem series lacks a deep plot and character development,but it doesn't really piss me off, since I can just choose not to read them.
Sep 10, 2019 10:28 PM

Mar 2015
Why would it piss you off anyway. Just ignore it. Not like anyone care anyway. They just read it to have a first impression since I think a lot of ppl follow the 3 eps rule
The world is not beautiful. Therefore, it is.
Sep 10, 2019 10:32 PM

Feb 2018
Not to that extent, but it does annoy me. When someone hasn't seen that much of a show, they can't really give substantive criticisms for the show in general. So it often falls into just being about whether they liked or disliked it, which doesn't provide much value to me unless I know the reviewer well enough to infer things about the show. Like I'm more interested in why you feel a certain way than how you feel if that makes any sense.
"If it's not big, it's only a bust," some guy on the internet
Sep 10, 2019 11:12 PM

Jan 2018
It does annoy me a little.

I don't really get why you'd review it before finishing the series. a fourth (or less than that if the series is like 26 episodes or longer) doesn't seem fair to me when writing off a series as a whole and on the positive spectrum, a positive review so much so soon seems silly to me because the series could easily go downhill.
A treasure the color of the rainbow, the color of happiness
Sep 11, 2019 1:27 AM
May 2019
No I don't have a problem with first impressions they can be useful to some people when they are making a decision whether or not to watch anime.
Sep 11, 2019 1:34 AM

Mar 2019
Yes. You CANNOT rate how good something is if you haven't finished yet. I never rate any anime before I finish the last episode. Take FMA:B for instant, 63/64 episodes done and I still restrict myself from rating it here in MAL until I finished it.
Sep 11, 2019 2:10 AM
Jul 2018
Most times yes, because they aren't written like first impressions. Most of them are "this is shit and I know this after 1 episode"-rants.
Sep 11, 2019 3:02 AM
Jan 2019
Demonic_Axe said:
Espio74 said:

I think they should make it so you have to watch at least half the anime until you can make a review.
And for the love of " i really enjoyed the anime even if it has a 6/10" they should add an enjoyment bar under the score, like the ones where you go and vote 1/5 or 5/5 for the episode cause i feel that some animes are really enjoyable but are just killed by the reviewers cause "not enough plot bla bla progression" (keep ya bloody pickforks and torches down if i offended y'all with this) if you know what i mean. So people can see that the anime is quite enjoyable even with just a 6 or 6.5/10 and not push people away because of the low score.
Yeah that's also my problem. There is a difference if the show objectively isn't that good but you enjoyed it way more 'cause this and that. As you said, show could be an okay-ish 5 or 6,but your enjoyment is lets say 8. But people immediately see "oh they gave it a 5,not gonna watch if it's that bad". Personal enjoyment scale because *options* would be a good idea.
Sep 11, 2019 3:08 AM

May 2016
For me no. It's mostly the same show getting criticized by fans who over praise it i think. I haven't seen any person giving bad thoughts on my shows. Even it does end up bad, it's still as repetetive as most high quality series whom fans like.
Sep 11, 2019 7:51 PM

Apr 2016
Espio74 said:

Just to piss you off OP, i only read the first yes of this post and i review this post -1/10
Sep 12, 2019 12:21 AM

Oct 2018
Wait, people actually do that? Well then, don't read them then haha.
Sep 12, 2019 12:33 AM
Jul 2018
It doesn't piss me off, but I've always found preliminary review to be rather pointless. The anime hasn't even finished airing, what the fuck are people reviewing after only watching 3 ~ 4 episodes? A preliminary review is basically the same as a first impression, it shouldn't even be counted as a review in my opinion.
MAL should get rid of preliminary reviews and make a "First Impressions" section on anime pages where people could share their thoughts on an anime while it's still airing, which is what you mostly see people doing with preliminary reviews, and make so that actual reviews can't be posted until an anime has finished airing. This to me would be an ideal solution, but I don't think it will ever happen.
removed-userSep 12, 2019 12:42 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

68 by ZeroMajor12 »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

153 by BasilZero »»
5 minutes ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

3 by Blackfire2340 »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

62 by Nyron »»
36 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 3 hours ago

6 by Nyron »»
37 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.