Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
Sep 8, 2019 6:58 PM

Jan 2009
there is still less than 200K members at the moment now dont get me wrong that kind of number is popular (afaik anything that reach 100K members on an anime entry here on MAL with its current 6 million total users is popular already) but to me its not reaching Attack on Titan levels yet?

should they have aired this on CrunchyRoll instead that has like 45million users at the moment instead of Amazon Prime which i do not know how many users it has and probably a lot less than CrunchyRoll have

or are there any other reason why its not getting more popular right now?
degSep 8, 2019 7:06 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2019 7:44 PM
Aug 2019
heg said:
there is still less than 200K members at the moment now dont get me wrong that kind of number is popular (afaik anything that reach 100K members on an anime entry here on MAL with its current 6 million total users is popular already) but to me its not reaching Attack on Titan levels yet?

should they have aired this on CrunchyRoll instead that has like 45million users at the moment instead of Amazon Prime which i do not know how many users it has and probably a lot less than CrunchyRoll have

It’s getting overshadowed by KNY and FF. All the great animation and fights are what people are looking for right now it seems. VS is a lot slower paced then both of those shows and people that expect it to be all fighting don’t get hooked and leave.I mean, look at the 2/10 review, it’s almost at the top with 137 people finding it helpful. It shows that VS isn’t meeting a lot of people’s expectations. Also, it doesn’t help that there wasn’t a marketing push by Amazon. They just put it up for people to watch. A lot of people don’t know it even exist, all I see on YouTube are people asking “ what is this called?” , “ Where do I watch this” and “ I didn’t know they were making a Vinland anime”. There are also a lot of people putting it aside and not giving it a chance or putting it on hold. So, I don’t think Vinland is going to be crazy popular. It’s probably gonna stay niche. It might blow up during later episodes or later in the year, who knows.
EchoAnEternitySep 9, 2019 7:15 AM
Sep 9, 2019 11:34 AM

Apr 2019
the story is slow and there aren't any major highlights
after reading the manga to chapter 100 i can say that most of the value of this story comes from the character development and their ideaologies, for me at least that is the most enjoyable aspect, seeing where life leads them next, how they change and what they seek
can't say that im a big fan of this story, but that was what pulled me in the most, there aren't really many highlights where i'd say, "wow, this has truly blown me away"
its an adventure that unfolds, the arcs are slow and long, the fact that this manga has started publishing in 2005 and is only in its third arc really is nerve wrecking, but oh well, hopefully it goes on for at least another 25 years+ then there will be a lot more value behind the story because its an adventure and character focused story
You son of a .. turtle

Sep 9, 2019 11:37 AM

Jan 2013
It doesn't seem to attract the typical anime fan. Might be the setting, or the way it is presented. And since it doesn't have big boobs in frame 90 % of the time, waifu-oglers steer clear.

The anime isn't perfect but easily the best of the season.
Sep 9, 2019 11:44 AM

Dec 2016
KNY, FF, and Dr. Stone are already getting all the spotlight this season. Compared to the other 3, Vinland Saga is slower paced and has less hype during the fights. Shame, Vinland Saga deserves more recognition.

❝ 𝚈𝚘𝚞'πš›πšŽ πšπš‘πšŽ πš™πš›πš˜πšπšŠπšπš˜πš—πš’πšœπš 𝚘𝚏 πš’πš˜πšžπš› πš˜πš πš— πš•πš’πšπšŽ. ❞
-πšπšŽπš’πšπšŽπš— π™°πš›πšŠπšπšŠπš”πšŠ

My Twitter - Anime Plus - MAL Badges - Add Me

Sep 9, 2019 12:23 PM

Feb 2017
There are multiple reasons. One is that it's streaming on Amazon Prime. From what I can tell, not many anime fans use this platform, let alone use it for for finding and watching anime. Amazon also doesn't advertise their anime in any way, so it wouldn't be unusual for people who regularly use Prime to not even know Vinland got added there.

Crunchyroll and other anime focused streaming platforms usually put ads for their stuff on their front pages, share it on their social media accounts, etc. Amazon simply doesn't do that.

You could say that most people just pirate anime and so it doesn't matter where it's streamed, but opposite is true as well. Many people don't pirate and watch stuff that appears on their Crunchyroll/Funimation/whatever, especially casual fans and there is many of them.

I've seen countless people over past months asking where to watch the anime and saying how they couldn't find it on Crunchyroll. Many of them had no idea the anime was even a thing.

Other reason is the type of story this is. It's slower and doesn't have that many "moments". Many anime that explode in popularity usually have some "big moment" happening, like big plot twist or some epic action sequence for example, which leads to it being shared and hyped all over the internet and being spread by the word of mouth at a rapid pace. Think of Demon Slayer episode 19 or Attack on Titan episode 1 for example . Vinland Saga didn't have anything like that so far and is simply a slower story that takes its time to build itself and its characters.

It's combination of multiple reasons of which there are certainly more, but those two I listed are probably the biggest ones, especially the first one I'd say.
TsarkoSep 9, 2019 12:26 PM
Sep 9, 2019 12:32 PM

Jan 2013
@Tsarko
So exclusivity + bad marketing seem to botch up this too. I really hope the multitude of streaming services dies out and we can get our anime from one or two services only.
Sep 10, 2019 3:21 AM

Nov 2017
It doesn't have waifus and cute girls to be talked about. Just look at reddit for example. And average anime fans don't like slow-paced stories.
Sep 10, 2019 6:43 AM

Oct 2018
LalatinaDarkness said:
It doesn't have waifus and cute girls to be talked about. Just look at reddit for example. And average anime fans don't like slow-paced stories.

That might be a real reason

Most anime fans prefer anime that have female characters, but Vinland Saga has none
Sep 10, 2019 3:24 PM

Mar 2018
crunchyoll isnt spoon-feeding it to people like they do with dr stone and fire force
Sep 10, 2019 3:51 PM

Aug 2019
It deserves more recognition because of the quality of it's source material, but it'll never get the hype that AoT initially did. Not many anime will.

It's definitely a slow burner, and aside from 2-3 episodes, the rest have been fairly pedestrian.
Sep 10, 2019 4:11 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
YuiHirasawaFan said:
crunchyoll isnt spoon-feeding it to people like they do with dr stone and fire force

Well, obviously since its Amazon who's streaming the anime not Crunchyroll.
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

Sep 10, 2019 4:33 PM

Mar 2018
DatRandomDude said:
YuiHirasawaFan said:

Well, obviously since its Amazon who's streaming the anime not Crunchyroll.

yeah i know thats why i said it...
Sep 10, 2019 9:45 PM

Aug 2015
I would say by two reasons:

-Amazon: basically everyone who watches legally uses either Crunchyroll or Funimation. Amazon is better known for its series, not for anime, so it is very hard to find this adaptation on good quality over the internet.

-Because nothing interesting has happened yet. As simple as that. We all knew Thors was going to die due to how many deathflags were put on his head on the first episode. However, after that there has not been anything "impactful" or significant. I like how the series is going, but to be honest this aspect feels very overhyped by manga readers.

Finally, this is a very personal one, but (without being a reader) I feel this series benefits more of being a manga than an anime. I don't really know how to explain it, but besides the artstyle I feel the pacing and setting feels better as something that you read, rather than watch (if you want an example, I would take Berserk and the popular opinion of being "not adaptable to anime").
Sep 10, 2019 10:29 PM

Aug 2008
loli put this show on hold
1.i do not like animes with female characters in lead [so here at me doesn't apply]
2. i don't watch boobies animes
3. i was looking for aserious anime, but i found out a ninja kid jumping all around
4. i really didn't care that was slow lol
dany_elle1908Sep 10, 2019 10:37 PM
The spider is watching
Sep 10, 2019 11:54 PM
Aug 2019
Accounting for Vinland's (or any show's) popularity or unpopularity by pointing to weaknesses or strengths is a pretty peculiar exercise since you have to be a show's member before you can rate it. Vinland's rating already advertises that it's a high quality show since it signifies it's very well received. Positive opinions aren't universal, but not many shows are better received. Even if you argue weakness aren't registered, from everyday experience I've found people are more likely to voice negative opinions than positive ones.

The most likely reasons for lack of members is Vindland's (1) premise or (2) accessibility. I think people overestimate how attractive Vinland's premise is.
Like others stated, Vinland streaming on Amazon rather than Crunchyroll makes it less accessible. I, myself didn't even know Amazon had streaming services. I just use Amazon Prime for shipping services. The safest statement to make when comparing Vinland's member count to Kimetsu, Dr. Stone, or Fire Force is that those shows either 1) have premises that resonate with viewers, 2) are more accessible, or both.
My opinion assumes viewers see high ratings as a positive sign a show is worth watching.
najumobiSep 11, 2019 12:02 AM
Sep 11, 2019 12:03 AM

Jul 2016
People keep telling me that it's good.

They never tell me why it's good.

Sep 11, 2019 10:26 AM
Apr 2016
heg said:
why its not getting more popular right now?

Because it has already collected all the average viewers there could be, Deg, and you well know it. This is not a thought-out, thoroughly crafted according to all artistic aspects work of art. By the way I just alluded to Shingeki no Kyojin, which by definition is what Vinland Saga is not. Asking these questions again and again will not somehow make a masterpiece out of this "original" generic "shounen" with "historical" tag and without proper depiction of history. And I am saying this as someone who enjoys this series.
Tapertrain said:

This could be an opening remark for my every message in this subforum, or Enen no Shouboutai subforum. I will only mention these two right now.
YamTams said:
KNY, FF, and Dr. Stone are already getting all the spotlight this season. Compared to the other 3, Vinland Saga is slower paced and has less hype during the fights. Shame, Vinland Saga deserves more recognition.

No-brainer action, which is also beautifully drawn (the virtues end) will always be more popular, as today's majority of the societies (and with them the majority of any group) are not complex enough to be deeply invested in something more profound than high pitched shouts, epic one-liners and lightning-fast action sequences. They come from work, or open it up during studying sessions, watch a nicely coloured cartoon for 20 minutes, say "Wow this is kewl" and that is it. Their brain is unstrained and their functionality is not anyhow different than it was 20 minutes ago. This is merely easier for them. When the society evolves (read:develops more), these series and shows will start losing on popularity ratio.
Daniel_NaumovSep 11, 2019 10:33 AM
Re:formed
Sep 11, 2019 11:56 AM
Aug 2019
The more I think about this topic, the more I realize how pointless it is. Demon Slayer is a great example. It was in the same boat as Vinland. People praising it, people hating on it for being generic and asking why it isn’t as popular has it should be. Then all it took was one very well done episode that everything in Demon Slayer was leading to, to change some peoples minds and bring in a lot of new fans. That didn’t happen till episode 19. Vinland is only at episode 9. It’s still setting up and introducing characters, as well as it’s themes and messages it’s trying to convey. The story itself doesn’t start until the next episode. Has I said before and has many people have stated, there are many reason why Vinland isn’t taking off. But, the main reason is because nothing big as happened yet. No massive twist in the story, no big flashy animation, nothing. As a manga reader, I know there are big twist and chances for flashy animation. We just gotta give it time, it just started.
Sep 11, 2019 9:19 PM
Aug 2019
Tapertrain said:

To tell you why it is good, will spoil why it is good. Have patience, you will see for yourself. Then make your own opinion, of if it’s good or not.
Sep 11, 2019 9:49 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
angelk99 said:
Tapertrain said:

The characters are great so far.

Ylva is the only good character but she isn't even relevant, the rest of the cast sucks.
Sep 12, 2019 11:24 AM

Dec 2018
Not reaching Attack on Titan levels of popularity?? Are you ok? Is everything alright?

The answer is obvious! Vinland Saga is simply not good. Attack on Titan is good and can appeal to a far wider audience. AoT has more realistic characters despite a fantasy setting, far better cg, better music, and an interesting plot full of mystery. When I watch AoT its because I have lots of things I'm curious about and want to fund out!! Vinland on the other hand has no stakes, no questions, and nothing remotely interesting about it to speak of!! The only conflict established in 9 episodes is that OP kid wants to kill goatee guy but won't do it in his sleep because he wants to honor his father (let it be noted that truly honoring his father would mean giving up on the cycle of violence and forgoing this sort of revenge plot.) The animation sucks, the plot sucks, and the characters suck. I was excited for Vinland ever since it was announced! I thought it was a show with seemingly endless potential. Now I tell my friends not to bother watching it unless they're still operating on a Dragon Ball/ Bleach/ Prince of Stride level of horribly childish anime taste.

Please don't ask silly questions like this. If you actually think Vinland deserves to be one of the most popular anime of all time alongside AoT... Well there's really nothing I can do for you except laugh.
Sep 12, 2019 11:36 AM
Jul 2019
YamTams said:
It's not slow paced bro it's going at a great speed
Sep 12, 2019 12:33 PM
Aug 2019
CorkMars said:
Not reaching Attack on Titan levels of popularity?? Are you ok? Is everything alright?

The answer is obvious! Vinland Saga is simply not good. Attack on Titan is good and can appeal to a far wider audience. AoT has more realistic characters despite a fantasy setting, far better cg, better music, and an interesting plot full of mystery. When I watch AoT its because I have lots of things I'm curious about and want to fund out!! Vinland on the other hand has no stakes, no questions, and nothing remotely interesting about it to speak of!! The only conflict established in 9 episodes is that OP kid wants to kill goatee guy but won't do it in his sleep because he wants to honor his father (let it be noted that truly honoring his father would mean giving up on the cycle of violence and forgoing this sort of revenge plot.) The animation sucks, the plot sucks, and the characters suck. I was excited for Vinland ever since it was announced! I thought it was a show with seemingly endless potential. Now I tell my friends not to bother watching it unless they're still operating on a Dragon Ball/ Bleach/ Prince of Stride level of horribly childish anime taste.

Please don't ask silly questions like this. If you actually think Vinland deserves to be one of the most popular anime of all time alongside AoT... Well there's really nothing I can do for you except laugh.

Lol, you said it yourself. Vinland Saga is only 9 episodes in. True, some of the mystery and intrigue was taken out of the early episodes because they decided to tell the story in chronological order instead of following the manga. But, that doesn’t mean it has none at all. I remember when everything you said about Vinland was said about AOT 9 episodes in. Like vinland, AOT has its manga reader calling it a masterpiece, anime people enjoying it and others hating it. People said AOT was nothing but another basic revenge plot with generic characters, an annoying screaming little edgy brat and giant monsters. Some called the animation bad. It wasn’t till later episodes that more people got pulled into the plot and admired the animation. Leading to AOT becoming the giant it is today. Every complaint you have about Vinland was already said by others about the show you love. To call Vinland Saga not good without even knowing the full scope of its story or where it’s plot will lead is disheartening. I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just saying it’s unfair to judge Vinland 9 episodes in with the knowledge we have of AOT and what’s it’s become.
Sep 12, 2019 12:41 PM

Jul 2017
heg said:

it's not "popular" because it's really new, wait a year after it airs, that's about when it starts to slow down (if no new seasons come out). And yes, they shouldn't have aired it on Amazon.
Sep 12, 2019 12:43 PM
Apr 2019
CorkMars said:

Thorfinn being a dumb kid would failed to understand what his father tried to teach him and is acting in a way his father wouldn't have approve off is the point thought and he get called out on it my several characters later on in this first arc( which my the way is literally all just the series prologue it is likely named as such by the chapter the arc ends in which is called "end of prologue"). Despite its popularity a lot of people actually called Aot characters generic as well during its first season and stared to praise them once they got development in future seasons. In Vindland Saga some of the characters will get more fleshed out way sooner then the AoT characters did like Askeladd in the upcoming episodes of this first season and the plot that has the stakes you won't will start in ep 10. It moves far past Thorfinn's revenge quest but it's a slow place story. A lot of mediocre and generic anime get pouplar so the pouplar= quality thing doesn't add up. People who want action shows like DBZ wouldn't even like Vinland Saga at all if/when it gets to season 2 as that would adapt a long arc that had barley any fights at all so that is in the long run a bad recommendation. As for your other comment after this the series is called Vinland "Saga" for a reason. The real Norse Sagas featured characters doing the same type of over the top fits that characters in Vinland Saga perform like one person being able to kill hundreds of men,people leaping extremely high in the air and some of them even featured magical creatures. The sagas where .very exaggerated retellings of historical events. Vinland isnt really ment to be a mystery ( Vinland is what they named North America in history). What is important to the story isn't what it is but what it represents a land free from slaves, war ,and the cruelty of the current world they know or at least this is what the characters in the stroy see it as.
Lawren222Sep 12, 2019 1:35 PM
Sep 12, 2019 12:45 PM

Dec 2018
EchoAnEternity said:
CorkMars said:

Lol, you said it yourself. Vinland Saga is only 9 episodes in. True, some of the mystery and intrigue was taken out of the early episodes because they decided to tell the story in chronological order instead of following the manga. But, that doesn’t mean it has none at all. I remember when everything you said about Vinland was said about AOT 9 episodes in. Like vinland, AOT has its manga reader calling it a masterpiece, anime people enjoying it and others hating it. People said AOT was nothing but another basic revenge plot with generic characters, an annoying screaming little edgy brat and giant monsters. Some called the animation bad. It wasn’t till later episodes that more people got pulled into the plot and admired the animation. Leading to AOT becoming the giant it is today. Every complaint you have about Vinland was already said by others about the show you love. To call Vinland Saga not good without even knowing the full scope of its story or where it’s plot will lead is disheartening. I’m not trying to argue with you, I’m just saying it’s unfair to judge Vinland 9 episodes in with the knowledge we have of AOT and what’s it’s become.

9 episodes, yes. In was engaged with AoT after 1 episode. Many people consider it to be one of the best first episodes in anime. Vinland Saga has put me to sleep for 9. Also this is a discussion about the ANIME, not the manga. I haven't read the manga after all! I do hope that the story gets more interesting in the manga. Please tell me what the mystery is in Vinland? What do I, the viewer, want to see resolved? AoT immediately presses the viewer to ask many questions about the world and where the plot is going. Vinland on the other hand has Vikings springing downhill carrying a boat across a battlefield. The only question this raises is "Oh, so I guess this isn't actually supposed to be realistic at all??" As someone who likes history I would like historical settings to be depicted accurately PERSONALLY. AoT season 1 had poor animation to be fair since WIT had such a poor budget. Vinland is more comparable to season 2 of AoT in terms of production, which blows Vinland out of the water quite frankly. AoT isn't my favorite anime nor one of the best I've seen. What it is, is at least decently written and highly entertaining. Vinland Saga, after 9 episodes, has had pretty bad writing, and some of the worst cg I've seen to date. What I am discussing is the present, I am addressing the question. If you want to talk about where the story will go eventually than your on the wrong forum! It being good in the future will not convince non manga readers to watch it now lol.
Sep 12, 2019 1:34 PM

Jul 2016
EchoAnEternity said:
Tapertrain said:

To tell you why it is good, will spoil why it is good. Have patience, you will see for yourself. Then make your own opinion, of if it’s good or not.

I'll get to it eventually then.
The show does not sound like something that would really take off in terms of popularity.
Sep 12, 2019 1:40 PM
Aug 2019
CorkMars said:
EchoAnEternity said:

9 episodes, yes. In was engaged with AoT after 1 episode. Many people consider it to be one of the best first episodes in anime. Vinland Saga has put me to sleep for 9. Also this is a discussion about the ANIME, not the manga. I haven't read the manga after all! I do hope that the story gets more interesting in the manga. Please tell me what the mystery is in Vinland? What do I, the viewer, want to see resolved? AoT immediately presses the viewer to ask many questions about the world and where the plot is going. Vinland on the other hand has Vikings springing downhill carrying a boat across a battlefield. The only question this raises is "Oh, so I guess this isn't actually supposed to be realistic at all??" As someone who likes history I would like historical settings to be depicted accurately PERSONALLY. AoT season 1 had poor animation to be fair since WIT had such a poor budget. Vinland is more comparable to season 2 of AoT in terms of production, which blows Vinland out of the water quite frankly. AoT isn't my favorite anime nor one of the best I've seen. What it is, is at least decently written and highly entertaining. Vinland Saga, after 9 episodes, has had pretty bad writing, and some of the worst cg I've seen to date. What I am discussing is the present, I am addressing the question. If you want to talk about where the story will go eventually than your on the wrong forum! It being good in the future will not convince non manga readers to watch it now lol.

You are right, it was wrong of me to use manga knowledge on an anime forum. But, like I said I have no intention of arguing with you. You just like attack on titan more than Vinland. A lot of people do. Also, I love history as well. But, going into Vinland Saga and hoping it will be more realistic is like watching GOT for the first time and hoping it will be realistic.
Sep 12, 2019 1:42 PM

May 2015
Roevhaal said:
angelk99 said:

Ylva is the only good character but she isn't even relevant, the rest of the cast sucks.

Nice joke.

Oh wait, you're not joking?... Yikes.

Sep 12, 2019 1:42 PM
Aug 2019
Tapertrain said:
EchoAnEternity said:

I'll get to it eventually then.
The show does not sound like something that would really take off in terms of popularity.

Most likely not, the manga never went anywhere. Despite it being held up alongside Vagabond and Berserk
Sep 12, 2019 1:44 PM

Dec 2018
EchoAnEternity said:
CorkMars said:

You are right, it was wrong of me to use manga knowledge on an anime forum. But, like I said I have no intention of arguing with you. You just like attack on titan more than Vinland. A lot of people do. Also, I love history as well. But, going into Vinland Saga and hoping it will be more realistic is like watching GOT for the first time and hoping it will be realistic.

Vinland Saga takes place in a real place and a real time. Game of Thrones doesn't.
Sep 12, 2019 1:49 PM
Aug 2019
CorkMars said:
EchoAnEternity said:

Vinland Saga takes place in a real place and a real time. Game of Thrones doesn't.

True, but you get my point. Even in the first 5 minutes of episode 1, Vinland showed it had no intention of being realistic
Sep 12, 2019 1:55 PM
Apr 2019
The Norse Sagas also where based on history and where set during a real place in a real time and they sure weren't realistic either( no more so then this manga/anime" ). Which is why that peculiar criticism is interesting me. If you prefer more realistic stories that's is absolutely fine but the series name alone is hinted to what it is modeling itself after( the sagas) and that it has no interest in being realistic from the start. I guess it comes from not being familiar to what the sagas where like and therefore what to expect from this series in terms of realism.
Lawren222Sep 12, 2019 2:02 PM
Sep 12, 2019 7:30 PM

Dec 2018
Lawren222 said:
The Norse Sagas also where based on history and where set during a real place in a real time and they sure weren't realistic either( no more so then this manga/anime" ). Which is why that peculiar criticism is interesting me. If you prefer more realistic stories that's is absolutely fine but the series name alone is hinted to what it is modeling itself after( the sagas) and that it has no interest in being realistic from the start. I guess it comes from not being familiar to what the sagas where like and therefore what to expect from this series in terms of realism.

The fact that the main characters are historical figures lead me to initially believe that yes it would be at least realistic or semi believable. It's not like we're watching Loki and Odin. The historical tag always throws me off.
Sep 12, 2019 8:24 PM
Aug 2019
Let's be real, there's no anime will be able to shatter the entire earth from the very first episode like AoT did, some anime shows did it later after 5/10 episodes or later on, but for AoT it was just something that happens once in life, and it was established as a fantasy mystery action drama show to begin with which was more intriguing to the audience, let alone how original the story is and how very different.. so what about a more slowed and characters focused show? Ofc it wouldn't be as hyped, you can't compare indeed.

But yes, Vinland should gain more popularity, I really like the characters and I'm so into them that I want to follow their own paths, yet as some stated it it didn't have its "big moment" so the hype wasn't big..

As a huge fan of writing fiction, the best thing a writer can do is to make the beginning of the story as great and dramatic as possible, the beginning is very important.
Sep 13, 2019 12:49 AM

Feb 2019
And here we go again. Why are people shoving AOT in almost in every VS discussion?

Seriously this how it go's: "AtTaCK On TiTAn gOod, ViNlAnD SaGa bad" or the other way around.
Sep 13, 2019 12:53 AM

Feb 2019
In short, why Vinland Saga isn't that popular:
- Amazon Prime
- It's slow
- Marketing
Sep 13, 2019 12:55 AM

Dec 2017
The fact that it's being done by the same studio that works on Attack Titan is enough reason for me to watch this series. The visuals alone already got me hooked since episode 1, let alone combined with the story and those soundtracks. Pure bliss.

I couldn't care less about popularity when it already proves itself to me that it deserves its current score.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Sep 13, 2019 1:28 AM

Feb 2019
CorkMars said:

I never disagreed with someone that much.

Vinland Saga already developed characters more than entire Aot's s1.

Animation is done decently, you're probably expecting Demon slayer quality.

So you're telling " a kid trying to kill a goatee guy" is gonna be the entire story? There's more to that. Aot's first 8 eps were literally: "Titans attack, kill the titans" Vinland Saga is more than just a revenge story, that's why people consider it a masterpiece.

Not every anime needs mystery to be good. Vinland saga is about the journey, not the destination.
Sep 13, 2019 4:44 AM

Jan 2019
I hate how these kind of threads attracts assholes.
It's already grabbed one in particular.
coughCorkMarscough
Sep 13, 2019 4:50 AM

Jan 2019
CorkMars said:

Can't say I agree with any of this. Though we have opinions, understa-

CorkMars said:

I truly cannot believe people praise this shit. Some even compare it to berserk. FOOLS

CorkMars said:
Fools

Oh sorry, I almost acknowledged your opinion there for a second.
Sep 13, 2019 6:17 AM
Aug 2019
NotFred said:
CorkMars said:

So you're telling " a kid trying to kill a goatee guy" is gonna be the entire story? There's more to that. Aot's first 8 eps were literally: "Titans attack, kill the titans" Vinland Saga is more than just a revenge story, that's why people consider it a masterpiece.

Not every anime needs mystery to be good. Vinland saga is about the journey, not the destination.

Although I disagree with what the person said, like completely because VS is so great actually but you both can't really draw a comparison in that way, AoT was portrayed as a survival postapoclypse show, there's no time for developing too much for the characters other than their decisions and actions to survive at that moment,
I know VS also shows how people are trying to survive the wars and that horrible reality but it's not like a very current danger like the Titans and they need to make a move as fast as possible.

In VS we follow how a kid reacts to his father's death in the Vikings era which was a dark era, and we interestingly want to see how he grows and what's the outcomes, it's like a philosophy's journey that makes us learn the different ideologies of the characters and I think it's really unique.

Each story acts upon its own plot, the characters development happens according to the plot too.

And even VS's author is a huge fan of SnK's manga and buy all the releases.

There's no need for such a toxic comparison.
Sep 13, 2019 7:28 AM
Aug 2019
Nezukoisangel said:
NotFred said:

Although I disagree with what the person said, like completely because VS is so great actually but you both can't really draw a comparison in that way, AoT was portrayed as a survival postapoclypse show, there's no time for developing too much for the characters other than their decisions and actions to survive at that moment,
I know VS also shows how people are trying to survive the wars and that horrible reality but it's not like a very current danger like the Titans and they need to make a move as fast as possible.

In VS we follow how a kid reacts to his father's death in the Vikings era which was a dark era, and we interestingly want to see how he grows and what's the outcomes, it's like a philosophy's journey that makes us learn the different ideologies of the characters and I think it's really unique.

Each story acts upon its own plot, the characters development happens according to the plot too.

And even VS's author is a huge fan of SnK's manga and buy all the releases.

There's no need for such a toxic comparison.

Indeed, both authors have great respect for each other. It shows from when people thought Askeladd said a Kenny quote but, Kenny actually said an Askeladd quote. I thought that was an awesome homage to Vinland the first time I saw it in AOT.
Sep 13, 2019 9:14 AM

Dec 2018
Elucid said:
CorkMars said:

Can't say I agree with any of this. Though we have opinions, understa-

CorkMars said:

I truly cannot believe people praise this shit. Some even compare it to berserk. FOOLS

CorkMars said:
Fools

Oh sorry, I almost acknowledged your opinion there for a second.

Look I'm here articulating why the series isn't getting as much attention as AoT. I'm answering the question that the forum asks. I really don't care that you're asshurt about it.
CorkMarsSep 13, 2019 9:34 AM
Sep 13, 2019 9:14 AM

Apr 2018
Damn fanboys are really blind these days. Regardless of how good or bad u think this show may be, the premise is just not appealing enough to hit AoT level of mainsteam. Y'all spamming 2deep4u memes won't change that.

Also 100% agree with this:
Roevhaal said:
angelk99 said:

Sep 13, 2019 9:18 AM

Dec 2018
NotFred said:
CorkMars said:

Actually I expected AoT quality animation. There doesn't have to be any mystery but there does have to be a reason to keep watching. The only thing Vinland has is manga readers promising it improves. The first 9 episodes didn't raise any questions for me. If they did for you I'm glad. I think you being a fan of Vinland is a great thing. What I'm doing in my response is bringing in a new voice in order to answer the question of this forum. I'm an average viewer. AoT offers a great deal more appeal to the average viewer than Vinland. The people who are enjoying Vinland aren't wrong for their opinions but nether are the people bashing it.
Sep 13, 2019 9:41 AM
Jul 2018
Tsarko said:

Other reason is the type of story this is. It's slower and doesn't have that many "moments". Many anime that explode in popularity usually have some "big moment" happening, like big plot twist or some epic action sequence for example, which leads to it being shared and hyped all over the internet and being spread by the word of mouth at a rapid pace. Think of Demon Slayer episode 19 or Attack on Titan episode 1 for example . Vinland Saga didn't have anything like that so far and is simply a slower story that takes its time to build itself and its characters.

I think you've summed it up the best. I think what's not helping Vinland Saga's case, is that the anime doesn't look that great; the CG is noticeably bad, the animation is typical still-frame anime (except for a few fight scenes). What I've noticed is that nearly every popular anime I've heard/seen (with few exceptions like FMA and SAO) have very distinct art styles.
Sep 13, 2019 9:57 AM

Feb 2019
CorkMars said:
NotFred said:

Actually I expected AoT quality animation. There doesn't have to be any mystery but there does have to be a reason to keep watching. The only thing Vinland has is manga readers promising it improves. The first 9 episodes didn't raise any questions for me. If they did for you I'm glad. I think you being a fan of Vinland is a great thing. What I'm doing in my response is bringing in a new voice in order to answer the question of this forum. I'm an average viewer. AoT offers a great deal more appeal to the average viewer than Vinland. The people who are enjoying Vinland aren't wrong for their opinions but nether are the people bashing it.

I understand what you mean. I mean the adaptation isn't perfect and Vinland saga is one of those animes that has a pretty meh beginning.

First 20 chapters are imo the weakest chapters in the whole manga, same could be said about the anime.

Personally, I would recommend to put this anime on hold and wait till all episodes will be released. Or read the manga instead. Except if ya have patience.

If ya ask me:
Will it be as popular as Aot?
- Doubt it

Do's it deserve to be popular as Aot?
- Yes, if the anime continues to be like episode 9, then it definitely deserves it.
Sep 13, 2019 9:59 AM

Dec 2018
NotFred said:
CorkMars said:

I understand what you mean. I mean the adaptation isn't perfect and Vinland saga is one of those animes that has a pretty meh beginning.

First 20 chapters are imo the weakest chapters in the whole manga, same could be said about the anime.

Personally, I would recommend to put this anime on hold and wait till all episodes will be released. Or read the manga instead. Except if ya have patience.

If ya ask me:
Will it be as popular as Aot?
- Doubt it

Do's it deserve to be popular as Aot?
- Yes, if the anime continues to be like episode 9, then it definitely deserves it.

I can respect that. Maybe I will take that advice. Thanks m8
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.