Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 9, 2019 2:44 PM

Dec 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Soverign said:

Yep.

I was only asking because I was considering on writing a thesis on perky C-cups or shapely D-cups. Then I got side tracked and added some horns for a succuvamp, you know, for a stable grip during scientific doggystyle testing.

Should I go with the white or the black?

I'm thinking more of a dark red.. perhaps a crimson?

Fuck you are twisting my arm here. Fine. I will buy all three.
Sep 9, 2019 2:48 PM

Aug 2012
SadMadoka said:
12 inches, for instance, is easy to remember, whereas 305 millimeters is a large and random number.
30.5 centimeters, or 3.05 decimeters are much shorter units of magnitude. If your point is that small whole numbers are easier to remember, then work on your memory old man. Plus, why in hell would you try to memorise loud speaker sizes? If you work in the industry, you'll learn them either way, metric or imperial. That's not something a layman would advantageously use.
Sep 9, 2019 4:05 PM

Oct 2014
Kuroko-chan said:
Why does the US, Myanmar and Liberia still uses the imperial system instead of the metric one since this is the most used measurement system in the world?

Also, only these 3 countries use this system and the rest of the world use the metric one, but why does the US thinks that the imperial system is the most used measurement system in the world just because they use it?

And another thing that is not really related to the topic but since I just started it, I think I should finish it. Why does the US think that the rest of the world does every single thing as they do ... just because they do it that way?

I'll never understand how anyone would willingly choose the system where orders of magnitude do NOT always change by either 10^X or 1/(10^X)...
Sep 9, 2019 4:16 PM

Aug 2012
Grey-Zone said:
Kuroko-chan said:
Why does the US, Myanmar and Liberia still uses the imperial system instead of the metric one since this is the most used measurement system in the world?

Also, only these 3 countries use this system and the rest of the world use the metric one, but why does the US thinks that the imperial system is the most used measurement system in the world just because they use it?

And another thing that is not really related to the topic but since I just started it, I think I should finish it. Why does the US think that the rest of the world does every single thing as they do ... just because they do it that way?

I'll never understand how anyone would willingly choose the system where orders of magnitude do NOT always change by either 10^X or 1/(10^X)...
I mean, while your answer is right, except that if OP really cared about such qualities to the system, he wouldn't have posted the thread in the first place. It's already established that the metric is pretty much superior in most scenarios, so OP's inquiry is merely cultural, and not mathematical.
Sep 9, 2019 7:13 PM
Aug 2018
Honestly, resistance to change. Like it or not, the US is able to often do it's own thing and simply not give a shit about how the rest of the world perceives it.

I work on cars all the time and i just know how to convert standard to metric and back and forth. You kind of just get used to it.
Sep 9, 2019 8:35 PM

Jun 2014
I'm so used to using Imperial, as well as many other Americans, that it would be difficult to switch since we've been using it for so long. I also find Imperial units easier to visualize, but that may be because I'm used to it.
Sep 9, 2019 8:55 PM

Aug 2009

I don't remember the info word for word, but this is how I initially learned about it.

Sep 9, 2019 9:42 PM

Jan 2009
Grey-Zone said:
Time, date and shoe sizes over here aren't metric, either
But the stranger thing is when most of the other world uses one specific system
Sep 9, 2019 10:04 PM

Jan 2013
SadMadoka said:
CondemneDio said:
The thing about Imperial system being more about "layman's use"....... How is a feet easier than a meter? I can just as easily measure out a meter as a foot. When we get to miles or kilometers, you won't measure it easily without tools.
Inches aren't easier than millimeters either, just talk about centimeters. 12 is no more random than 31.

You can easily work with metric because you were raised with it. Most Americans were not. When you've used imperial your entire life and almost never used metric (like myself and millions of others), it's not just as easy. I don't find it practical at all whenever I use metric, whereas imperial always feels natural to me. (That's subjective, of course.)

A meter is over three feet. Most people are under two meters, so that's not very practical for measuring height. Now go down to centimeters...but then you're in the hundreds. It's not practical to memorize or work with numbers that large for such a simple thing.

Back to woofers... Which looks simpler to you: the standardized inches that nearly all speakers are advertised with, like 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15...or centimeters, which would be something like 12.7, 20.32, 25.4, 30.48, and 38.1? No one is going to memorize or work with random-looking decimals like that.

For more info, check out the links I provided.

It is true that it is easier to use the system you were born into, but that isn't an argument for the use of imperial system. It's just how things are. There really is no other reason to use the imperial system than that changing to the better system takes too much effort.

Practicality is subjective here. Memorizing the conversion rates for imperial system is far more work than working with decimals that always work the same way.
Sep 9, 2019 10:47 PM

Aug 2014
Noboru said:
If the speakers were built with metrics in mind, they would have been like 10, 20, 25, 30 and 40 cm or any other round number. Imagine a 50 cm display instead of a 20 inches screen and you get basically the same effect

Perhaps...but that's a hypothetical. I did say that imperial is typically used for speakers.

Yarub said:
30.5 centimeters, or 3.05 decimeters are much shorter units of magnitude. If your point is that small whole numbers are easier to remember, then work on your memory old man. Plus, why in hell would you try to memorise loud speaker sizes? If you work in the industry, you'll learn them either way, metric or imperial. That's not something a layman would advantageously use.

Speakers are widely used around the world. Lots of "normal" people talk about woofer sizes, and they are usually advertised in inches. It isn't about just me, but humanity as a whole.

I covered the impracticality of centimeters with random-looking decimals here:
SadMadoka said:
Back to woofers... Which looks simpler to you: the standardized inches that nearly all speakers are advertised with, like 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15...or centimeters, which would be something like 12.7, 20.32, 25.4, 30.48, and 38.1? No one is going to memorize or work with random-looking decimals like that.

To be fair, some speakers are listed with fractions or decimals, such as 5 1/4" or 5.25"...but those are still much easier to remember. I think inches are so popular in that industry for a reason...but speakers are just a random example. I could have provided many others.

CondemneDio said:
It is true that it is easier to use the system you were born into, but that isn't an argument for the use of imperial system. It's just how things are. There really is no other reason to use the imperial system than that changing to the better system takes too much effort.

Practicality is subjective here. Memorizing the conversion rates for imperial system is far more work than working with decimals that always work the same way.

You don't have a conclusive argument either. (Unless you are talking about technical/scientific work, in which case I'd agree that metric is superior.) There really is no other reason to use the metric system other than that changing to the better system takes too much effort. See how empty that statement is?

Each system has advantages. I said you can go to the links I posted to read about some of the benefits of imperial.
Sep 9, 2019 10:55 PM

Jan 2013
SadMadoka said:

You don't have a conclusive argument either. (Unless you are talking about technical/scientific work, in which case I'd agree that metric is superior.) There really is no other reason to use the metric system other than that changing to the better system takes too much effort. See how empty that statement is?

Each system has advantages. I said you can go to the links I posted to read about some of the benefits of imperial.

Benefits of the imperial system is an oxymoron if I ever saw one lol
Metric system wins in science and everyday life, and it's designed to be easy to use and convert. I'm unwilling to agree that the imperial system has any advantages over the metric system, so you could walk us through some.
Sep 9, 2019 11:00 PM

Aug 2014
CondemneDio said:
Metric system wins in science and everyday life, and it's designed to be easy to use and convert. I'm unwilling to agree that the imperial system has any advantages over the metric system, so you could walk us through some.

Dude...I literally said you can read through the links I posted. (And you can do more of your own research.) I don't have time to babysit.
Sep 9, 2019 11:01 PM

Jan 2013
SadMadoka said:
CondemneDio said:

Dude...I literally said you can read through the links I posted. (And you can do more of your own research.) I don't have time to babysit.

I'm not going to do that, defend your point of view here or leave.
Sep 9, 2019 11:08 PM

Sep 2013
CondemneDio said:
SadMadoka said:

While I prefer metric (because that's what I initially learned obviously), the preference for one over the other isn't really one of raw advantages. For example, I have no idea how one would go about implementing the system switch to people not currently attending grade school. Like, there is a significant population of older folk who are still technologically illiterate, how are we supposed to transition them to a different measurement system? And at what rate is metric to be adopted versus imperial phaseout?
Sep 9, 2019 11:12 PM

Jan 2013
nep-nep said:
CondemneDio said:

While I prefer metric (because that's what I initially learned obviously), the preference for one over the other isn't really one of raw advantages. For example, I have no idea how one would go about disseminating the switch in measurement to the general public who are not attending grade school. Like, there is a significant population of older folk who are technologically illiterate, how are we supposed to transition them to a different measurement system? And at what rate is metric to be adopted versus imperial phaseout?

A quick change from one system to the other works as long as the populus is educated about it. When Finland changed from Finnish Marks to Euros, we did it in the span of a few days. But since it was talked about for a long time before, everyone knew how to convert to Euros etc.

Of course, there will be nay-sayers, but they'll have to deal with the change. In the case of metric vs. imperial system, the generations that were born during the imperial system era will die out and the US will have people who were born into the metric system.
Sep 9, 2019 11:31 PM

Sep 2013
CondemneDio said:
nep-nep said:
While I prefer metric (because that's what I initially learned obviously), the preference for one over the other isn't really one of raw advantages. For example, I have no idea how one would go about disseminating the switch in measurement to the general public who are not attending grade school. Like, there is a significant population of older folk who are technologically illiterate, how are we supposed to transition them to a different measurement system? And at what rate is metric to be adopted versus imperial phaseout?

A quick change from one system to the other works as long as the populus is educated about it. When Finland changed from Finnish Marks to Euros, we did it in the span of a few days. But since it was talked about for a long time before, everyone knew how to convert to Euros etc.

Of course, there will be nay-sayers, but they'll have to deal with the change. In the case of metric vs. imperial system, the generations that were born during the imperial system era will die out and the US will have people who were born into the metric system.
I'm honestly amazed at how European countries did currency changes, but I can guarantee you that doing the same thing in the US would be disastrous. Regardless though, the system switch is an educational/cultural barrier rather than physical which makes it even worse.

Even if you just implemented the change at an educational level, you would need to convince each state that learning metric rather than imperial is a federal issue rather than a state issue, which means somehow making a nationwide change non-political.
You would also still be forced to disseminate most information in both formats until you achieved successful phaseout. As mentioned in one of the videos already posted, this means bearing the financial burden of replacing a lot of signs across 50+ states.
And if you fail to enforce this strictly enough, people will revert to using more comfortable systems just like native vs high school course languages.
Sep 10, 2019 1:54 AM

Oct 2014
To be fair, currently doing a quick conversion isn't a problem. In most cases you just type it into your phone and the thing's over and dealt with, unless it's some huge list of conversions that need to be done all at once, but for most private use, it's good enough.
Sep 10, 2019 2:15 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Using the Imperial System is irrational, the units have no scientific value or whatsoever. It is also far less convenient to use even from a neutral point of view.
Sep 10, 2019 2:29 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I don't think anyone with half a brain would ever argue that the imperial system is better designed because it absolutely isn't considering its scaling is completely inconsistent, however if that's what you've grown up with and learned to use as a child then it's probably not that easy to just suddenly switch away from something you're so accustomed to

But I guess in the same way tons of European countries were able to change currency to the Euro together one day, there's nothing saying something similar couldn't be done in the US for the metric system if people was to actually push for it. Sure it'd feel strange at first but sooner or later people would get used to it, and at the very least the next generation would have no problems using it if that's what they've been taught from the beginning
Sep 10, 2019 11:43 AM

Jan 2009
SadMadoka said:
Perhaps...but that's a hypothetical. I did say that imperial is typically used for speakers.
Lots of technical stuff is based on imperial units (the irony of the name btw.), because the country of origin is the USA

149597871 said:
Using the Imperial System is irrational, the units have no scientific value or whatsoever. It is also far less convenient to use even from a neutral point of view.
Until recently, the kilogram was also just an arbitrary mass of some ball in Paris
Sep 10, 2019 1:32 PM
Aug 2011
Kuroko-chan said:

And what's the point of so many people learning English on the entire globe when more than 95 percent of us will probably never go to an English speaking country or any other country that requires English or do business that necessarily requires English?

You're kind of expressing the point of everyone learning English by posting on this website IN ENGLISH. English allows disparate people to communicate on the internet. It allows things like you, and a Finn and a Nigerian to have a discussion on websites like this one without having to know each other's language. Bringing up travel is a red-herring on your part. If you don't learn English then you're basically in a ghetto on the 'net and can only talk to people in your own country, usually.

So, the question isn't why should people learn English, it's why English instead of say French, Russian, Mandarin Chinese, Hindi or Arabic. We, as a planet had to pick one of these as a shared language, and we picked English. A big part of that comes down to two things: The British Empire and the USA. English was already everywhere, and the only true rival was French, hence the term 'Lingua Franca'. Why French fell out is another story, but we as a planet *need* a shared language for business and communication, so English took its place.
cipheronSep 10, 2019 1:45 PM
Sep 10, 2019 5:27 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Anybody arguing that the Imperial system is better should get their head checked out

---

Also, for an addition to the random discussion above me, English is a great lingua franca to learn because even somebody lacking a frontal lobe could learn it if they took the time

Unfortunately, its relative simplicity doesn't keep it from sounding like linguistic pig vomit

I would press for a new lingua franca for the sake of no longer having to subject people to listening to this awful language anymore
ManabanSep 10, 2019 5:34 PM

Sep 10, 2019 5:55 PM

Nov 2011
the imperial system is a mess. even the british abandoned the system, and they were the ones that came up with the system in the first place.

1 feet = 12 inches, 3 feets = 1 yard, 1 mile = 1760 yards
what country would be dumb enough to use such an archaic system?

meanwhile, in sane countries:

1 meter = 100 centimeter, 1 kilometer = 1,000 meter
since centi = 1/100 and kilo = 1,000. makes perfect sense.
DreamingBeatsSep 10, 2019 5:59 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 10, 2019 6:05 PM

Nov 2017
Yeah, unfortunately I was raised with imperial units so when my European or Asian friends told me something like their height or the degrees in Celsius I was all like...

But thank Washu-sama for taking a chemistry class and my encouraging professor so now I'm used to the metric system and it's easy for me to convert to either if I need to
Sep 10, 2019 8:21 PM

Feb 2018
nep-nep said:
I have no idea how one would go about implementing the system switch to people not currently attending grade school. Like, there is a significant population of older folk who are still technologically illiterate, how are we supposed to transition them to a different measurement system? And at what rate is metric to be adopted versus imperial phaseout?

They did that in canada in the 1980's and there's still some of the imperial system left over (like F for oven temp or feet and inches for height and construction/architecture in general) However younger and older people, in my perspective, do prefer the metric system as it's generally a lot easier to convert.

Also, US does use metric to some extent, and it is becoming introduced in schools. In the educational world, it's a must in things like medicine, space exploration,and even the army use both measurements, and in most cases, just metric.
Lastly, people still use the imperial system outside of US for construction (or other older systems like shaku-kan for Japan) and flight elevation (ft is used internationally). Full conversion never happened anywhere, and never will happen in US, but a more prominent mishmash of both will likely happen in the future for convenience sake.
Sep 10, 2019 10:21 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Noboru said:
149597871 said:
Until recently, the kilogram was also just an arbitrary mass of some ball in Paris

Using the word "recently" is a questionable choice. If we consider the creation of the Universe to be the starting point, yes, technically speaking it's fairly recently. If that's not the case then using "recently" to describe events from centuries ago would be pretty weird. There is absolutely no point in going too far back in time here either. You obviously used it in order to strengthen a pointless argument while ignoring all the points I've made.

Yes, some of the base units are "arbitrary" but the system is far more coherent and convenient than the Imperial one.

149597871Sep 10, 2019 10:27 PM
Sep 10, 2019 10:26 PM

Jan 2009
149597871 said:
Yes, some of the base units are "arbitrary" but the system is far more coherent and convenient than the Imperial one.
I was referring to this change:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1751778

Would you favor the introduction of a metric time? Also, how to unify the "dot" vs "comma", if that's possible?
Sep 10, 2019 11:02 PM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
Noboru said:
149597871 said:
I was referring to this change:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1751778

Would you favor the introduction of a metric time? Also, how to unify the "dot" vs "comma", if that's possible?

It seemed like you are talking about events from the 19th century. Anyway, you can adjust that definition to fit literally any "arbitrary" unit for weight.

We don't really need to use "metric time" in our everyday life. As I said convenience is a very important factor. Same reason why we don't use Kelvin to measure room temperature. As for science or programming I don't mind if it really makes things easier. I don't really like talking about "time" in general, the term and its "definition" are pretty flawed in my opinion but that's another story.

149597871Sep 10, 2019 11:06 PM
Sep 11, 2019 12:53 AM

Sep 2013
foxsuprise said:
nep-nep said:
I have no idea how one would go about implementing the system switch to people not currently attending grade school. Like, there is a significant population of older folk who are still technologically illiterate, how are we supposed to transition them to a different measurement system? And at what rate is metric to be adopted versus imperial phaseout?
Also, US does use metric to some extent, and it is becoming introduced in schools. In the educational world, it's a must in things like medicine, space exploration,and even the army use both measurements, and in most cases, just metric.
Lastly, people still use the imperial system outside of US for construction (or other older systems like shaku-kan for Japan) and flight elevation (ft is used internationally). Full conversion never happened anywhere, and never will happen in US, but a more prominent mishmash of both will likely happen in the future for convenience sake.
Honestly yeah, I forgot that everyone in a US school still learns metric alongside imperial. Everyone who needs to know metric definitely uses it for official records, but I don't think, for example, an American physicist would use C over F when talking about the weather. I just don't see casual conversation of measurement changing.
Sep 11, 2019 2:03 AM

Jan 2017
As an American who lives and has been studying in Australia for the last 3 years I'd say I prefer the metric system. Easy to understand conversions and no bullshit.
Sep 11, 2019 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
I laugh at every individual who quotes anyshit with the Imperial System.
Sep 11, 2019 9:27 AM

Oct 2015
The worst is fahrenheit tbh. I get that the freezing point/boiling point different but why is the rate of increase/decrease 5:9? Why not 1:1 like kelvin is?
Sep 11, 2019 9:29 AM

Sep 2018
CondemneDio said:

The UK did the same, the 70s were all imperial including pounds, schillings and pence and even a guinea which I never understood. It slowly changed to metric with the exception that the road signs are still in MPH. My grandparents would use F talking about the weather, now everyone uses C.

People who defend imperial are clearly ignorant who just think their way is best. No one on their right mind would use quarts, gallons (of course US gallons are different to normal gallons) and oz to determine liquid volume when ML/Litres does it all.
Sep 11, 2019 1:30 PM

Feb 2018
nep-nep said:
I don't think, for example, an American physicist would use C over F when talking about the weather.
Funnily enough, I have a relative in Eastern Pennsylvania who did exactly that (though nowadays he's a prof) and he uses C in casual convo. Though admittedly, he wasn't born in North America. But, his grandkids also use C and they're in New Jersey born and raised. I was actually surprised they used C when his grandkids casually talked about the weather, was about to pull out my phone to convert and all.

But I understand this probably doesn't apply to all physicists, but it was quite a funny coincidence that you used that profession out of all you could've chosen.
Sep 11, 2019 2:31 PM

Sep 2017
DiscoDespot said:
America doesn't think the rest of the world does things its way, it simply expects others to accommodate the way they do things since its arguably the #1 Superpower. Perks of the job.

The whole "clueless american knows nothing of the outside world" cliche is getting pretty old, if anything it makes the ones saying that seem clueless considering America is one of the most diverse countries in the world.

Hey look, a triggered American     
Sep 11, 2019 2:34 PM

Oct 2018
I hate this misconception so much. Cliche blanket statement. Almost every American is taught what the metric system is and is taught about it in grade school. We aren't some stuck upcountry (well not that much) expecting everyone else to do what we do. I mean in academic papers US scientists DO if fact uses the metric system because it is universally known smh.

The US customary system is only found in our country and territories so I have no idea why people talk such an offense of us doing things like what we are used to. I would compare this to other languages having extra letters when 26 or perhaps less will suffice?

In defense of the US customary system, I think overall it is just a more human way of measuring something. If I ask how tall you are, I find it easier to say 6'1 then like 1.854 meters. 6 is a round number, most everyone associates with being fairly tall. Well, I'm not too familiar but is there a common consensus for tallness with the metric system?
youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
73 6f 6d 65 74 68 69 6e 67 73 20 6f 64 64 20 61 62 6f 75 74 20 6d 79 20 70 72 6f 66 69 6c 65 0d 0a
Sep 11, 2019 7:56 PM

Oct 2018
Themousen said:
DiscoDespot said:
America doesn't think the rest of the world does things its way, it simply expects others to accommodate the way they do things since its arguably the #1 Superpower. Perks of the job.

The whole "clueless american knows nothing of the outside world" cliche is getting pretty old, if anything it makes the ones saying that seem clueless considering America is one of the most diverse countries in the world.

And the OP who started this thread is a triggered non-american
Sep 11, 2019 8:07 PM

Oct 2018
CondemneDio said:
If you think about it objectively, the metric system wins the imperial system in every regard.
How? I am so curious to hear your answer
Sep 11, 2019 8:36 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
I love how Britain forced their shitty Imperial system on us back when were a colony and then the second we split from them they ditched it. What the fuck lol?

As for why we don't switch, because in addition to Americans being way too lazy; it'd probably cost us tens of billions of dollars to make the change due to the fact all our buildings and so much more are all constructed and formatted according to the old system. Words can't describe how much of a hassle it would be to switch (as much as I wish we would, same goes for temperature although that one WOULD be easy to switch).
Sep 11, 2019 9:31 PM

Jun 2019
Kuroko-chan said:

The imperial system used to be the British imperial system as well - default system for the British Empire and the British home islands. It's only decades after the French Revolutionary Wars and Napoleonic Wars that the metric system became standardized in France itself and later began radiating outward in its influence from continental Europe.

Some British colonies proved more stubborn than Britain itself to resist the new world measurement order. The U.S. is a former British colony (not all its present day territory, but the East Coast states which is where the nerve center of its political-financial apparatus is anyway), but also an imperialist power in its own right since inception and consequently tries to distinguish itself culturally and politically from the "Old World" of Europe in many ways and monopolize its own hemisphere.

Myanmar is also a very stubborn and traditionalist in many ways former British colony (then British Burma) and has been under various military governments for decades. The junta under Ne Win and others after him, even ostensibly being Burmese nationalist and anti-colonialist, kept many facets of pre-war Burmese society intact for administrative reasons even though it's shamed for being a backward "closed" country for it. Its political class doesn't care and has more pressing internal concerns than compliance with international standards.

And Liberia is a former U.S. colony, the only one of its kind in Africa, in that its first republic was founded as a project to repatriate American black freedmen (ex-slaves). It's probably only due to the American connection as well.

Kuroko-chan said:

It doesn't. Who says the U.S. "thinks" that something so clearly demonstrably untrue is true? Do you mean the U.S. government or individual American citizens you've interacted with online and are saying they speak for the U.S.? If it's the latter, they're probably just ignorant. The U.S. government is many things, but it's not dumb or incompetent enough to believe the rest of the world uses the imperial system and no government authority claims this.

I'll talk about distances, weight, the temperature, etc. in imperial terms (e.g. miles, inches, pounds, Fahrenheit, etc.) because that's what I'm most familiar with. If I'm speaking with someone who I have knowledge is non-American, non-Burmese, or non-Liberian, like several Japanese and Korean students I work with, I'll always switch immediately to metric and state the temperature in Celsius rather than Fahrenheit, the volume of liquids in liters rather than gallons, etc. And if I don't know the conversion I'll look it up.

Kuroko-chan said:

Because many Americans subscribe to a universalist mentality where they don't see their own state's ideology as an actual ideology but have internalized it as a false consciousness so it's invisible to them, and so think naturally everyone else in the world must think more or less the same and anyone who doesn't is stupid/ignorant, crazy, or evil. It's the problem with all ideologies with pretensions of universality. Liberalism/liberal democracy/liberal-capitalism is no different in this respect than communism before it, or absolute monarchies, or the clerical authorities of Christianity or Islam.

They all believe the rest of the world must think and live as they do, by force if necessary. With this mindset, there's always a rationale for expanding forever war (even if the actual wars themselves are waged for more cynical and pragmatic resource-based reasons).

If you're asking why the world became so lopsided in favor of the U.S. being able to do this with impunity, it's because the world became bipolar after 1945 and then unipolar after 1991. It's only in the past 5-10 years that we have been slowly creeping back toward a more balanced multipolar world. Most of the citizens don't think beyond the nose in front of their face and are just a reflection of the prevailing attitudes and biases of their government and society at the time.

There is a bubble of insulation surrounding the U.S. Partly because of geostrategic supremacy. Partly because of relative prosperity of the upper and middle classes as a result of that geostrategic supremacy. Partly because of geographic isolation and travel distances. So Americans view their country as the center of the world in a myopic fashion not unlike some Chinese do for China, but unlike with Chinese, English language media from the Anglosphere dominates the world so Americans don't have anywhere near the same level of contradictory and competing foreign signals being beamed in.

And ultimately, as a side note, I don't support nor agree with what the U.S. government does in the world and don't believe it to serve the interests of the citizenry of this country, but no country, including the U.S., China, Myanmar, Russia, whomever, should be bullied into becoming part of some homogeneous blob with the rest of the world. They only need to justify their own internal laws and policies to themselves, their citizens, and not meet some imaginary and arbitrary standard of global consensus which is illusory and will never exist. Standards are always changing. No country is under an obligation to give up its identity or independence just to get on the bandwagon and imitate the way the majority of countries do a certain thing. This is a sheepish mentality that threatens human diversity by seeking to homogenize the world in such a way.
WatchTillTandavaSep 11, 2019 9:43 PM
Sep 11, 2019 9:32 PM

Jan 2013
Mcswigganscat said:
CondemneDio said:
If you think about it objectively, the metric system wins the imperial system in every regard.
How? I am so curious to hear your answer

For scientific use, it is a no-brainer. Metric system is much more accurate, and if you use the imperial system with converting, you'll end up with the wrong numbers. This applies to industrial use too.

As for everyday use, the metric system offers the same power as the imperial system. Speaking and thinking in liters and meters is easy.

ohml said:

In defense of the US customary system, I think overall it is just a more human way of measuring something. If I ask how tall you are, I find it easier to say 6'1 then like 1.854 meters. 6 is a round number, most everyone associates with being fairly tall. Well, I'm not too familiar but is there a common consensus for tallness with the metric system?

When we talk about how tall we are, we use centimeters. For example; "I'm 180 cm tall." It's just as easy as with the imperial system.
CondemneDioSep 11, 2019 9:38 PM
Sep 11, 2019 10:19 PM

Jan 2019
Themousen said:
DiscoDespot said:

"Triggered" is an overused buzzword, I wrote a forum post telling another forum user why I disagree with them, it was hardly a wall of anger fueled rambling text that would constitute being 'triggered'.

It's easier for lazy posters to just call out somebody for being 'triggered' instead of actually explaining why they disagree with them. Go back to reddit where there is a easy one-click dislike button that helps lazy people express themselves.
Sep 11, 2019 11:48 PM

Sep 2013
foxsuprise said:
nep-nep said:
I don't think, for example, an American physicist would use C over F when talking about the weather.
Funnily enough, I have a relative in Eastern Pennsylvania who did exactly that (though nowadays he's a prof) and he uses C in casual convo. Though admittedly, he wasn't born in North America. But, his grandkids also use C and they're in New Jersey born and raised. I was actually surprised they used C when his grandkids casually talked about the weather, was about to pull out my phone to convert and all.

But I understand this probably doesn't apply to all physicists, but it was quite a funny coincidence that you used that profession out of all you could've chosen.
I've only studied uni in the US, and my astrophysics course was the only one that actively prohibited imperial. I'm no physics major so that of course remains the only science course I've taken...
Sep 12, 2019 4:06 AM

Sep 2017
DiscoDespot said:
Themousen said:

"Triggered" is an overused buzzword, I wrote a forum post telling another forum user why I disagree with them, it was hardly a wall of anger fueled rambling text that would constitute being 'triggered'.

It's easier for lazy posters to just call out somebody for being 'triggered' instead of actually explaining why they disagree with them. Go back to reddit where there is a easy one-click dislike button that helps lazy people express themselves.

Then don't act contemptuous and patronizing like you did

You literally said, just because US are the n°1 power in the world, the rest of the world should bend the knee and follow US's path, just because they're "weaker"
Being a US citizen doesn't make you a better or smarter human person than someone from another country (and the opposite is also true, obviously, it doesn't make you less smart as well)
Power could forces the other countries to follow one, but it won't force the other to show respect to that one country

Being powerful is useless if you're not respected, and being arrogant keeps you even further from even an ounce of respect

Sep 12, 2019 6:49 AM

Feb 2017
Imperial system! God bless o7 Down with the tyranny of Metric system.

Sep 12, 2019 8:26 AM

Jan 2019
Themousen said:
DiscoDespot said:

Themousen said:

Then don't act contemptuous and patronizing like you did
You literally said, just because US are the n°1 power in the world, the rest of the world should bend the knee and follow US's path, just because they're "weaker"

You are taking my words out of context. I stated that the U.S. can do what it wants more so than less influential countries because of it's position of power. Countries less powerful in both economy and military will try and accommodate their more powerful allies in various ways to keep the alliance in good terms. This is not an arrangement that is exclusive to the U.S.

Themousen said:
Being a US citizen doesn't make you a better or smarter human person than someone from another country (and the opposite is also true, obviously, it doesn't make you less smart as well)

This is true, but I never stated anything that would imply the contrary in any of my posts in this thread so I don't know why you are bringing it up.

Themousen said:
Power could forces the other countries to follow one, but it won't force the other to show respect to that one country

Being powerful is useless if you're not respected, and being arrogant keeps you even further from even an ounce of respect

I whole hardheartedly disagree. Power is useful even without respect. According to some posters in this thread the U.S. has absolutely zero respect from foreign countries, despite this supposed lack of respect the U.S. is still a powerhouse.

Using Japan as an exapmle; (we are weebs afterall) it's easy to read some BBC articles on some anti-U.S. military base protests in Okinawa and think that all of Japan hates U.S. being there, but Japan has a left and a right wing too, there are sides that support the U.S. being stationed in Oki, but the protesters will always get more attention from the media because it makes for a more interesting story than the other side's passive support of U.S. bases. The same applies to many U.S. bases around the globe.
Sep 20, 2019 4:46 AM

Mar 2012
16/ths, wuarters, hallvrd, are more usuable but it is what it is
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you live with regrets?

Lightskynight - 6 hours ago

10 by DesuMaiden »»
13 minutes ago

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity?

DesuMaiden - 8 hours ago

16 by Rinrinka »»
43 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

52 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
56 minutes ago

» What do you think about law enforcement (police) in your country?

Sad - Apr 16

24 by bevarnow »»
1 hour ago

» I'm currently on a keto diet.

scarydragon - 6 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.