Forum Settings
Forums

Discuss books you are currently reading now? (MANGA EXCLUDED)

New
Pages (114) « First ... « 104 105 [106] 107 108 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2019 12:17 AM

Sep 2018
Read almost all of Brando Sando's stuff some time ago, pretty impressive even tho they vary from meh to one of the greatest books period.It's still a mystery how Brandon puts out a book a year on such a high quality level. Definietly the current GOAT of fantasy and probably the all time GOAT when he finished Stormlight, wich is also by far is best series, puts the word epic in epic Fantasy and has everything i want from a novel, some philosophical elements, great Character writing while also focussing on the story wich would be my only complaint since we still don't know that much about Roshar and its connection to the cosmere etc.

Currently getting my mind blown by Thus Spoke Zarathustra by that mustache guy from germany. Pretty interesting but still don't know how to feel about it.

Also starting Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence, heard the Protagonist is a nice dude ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
-Mullerio-Sep 8, 2019 12:21 AM
Sep 8, 2019 2:40 AM

Aug 2012
Thanakos said:
After years of shitting on Ayn Rand because intellectuals hated her, I'm now reading her precisely because intellectuals hate her. So far, I'm loving what I'm reading.
I had no opinion of her before now, but I did do some digging, and what I felt wasn't too contrary to the intellectuals. I mean, if it wasn't a destructive thought, it's contradictory.

Mullerio_ said:
Also starting Broken Empire by Mark Lawrence, heard the Protagonist is a nice dude ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
Imo it's a shitty series. The protagonist is badly written and the characters are all morons. The events also aren't all that interesting. I don't understand how Mark Lawrence got his popularity. Maybe because his Broken Empire actually have good cover visuals.
Sep 8, 2019 2:58 AM

Aug 2018
Currently reading Being Wrong by Kathryn Schulz

Annie_Goo said:
I'm currently reading "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus. I started reading it because I was having thoughts about the futility of doing things that won't last forever. It has helped me make my outlook on life more positive I would say.

Definitely sounds like a book I need to read. Never read a philosophy book before but the synopsis resonates with me so might as well be my first.
<Insert clever quote>
Sep 8, 2019 3:19 AM

Aug 2012
-InfiniteLoop- said:
Currently reading Being Wrong by Kathryn Schulz

Annie_Goo said:
I'm currently reading "The Myth of Sisyphus" by Albert Camus. I started reading it because I was having thoughts about the futility of doing things that won't last forever. It has helped me make my outlook on life more positive I would say.

Definitely sounds like a book I need to read. Never read a philosophy book before but the synopsis resonates with me so might as well be my first.
If you wish to start Camus, then I propose you go through his books by date written. Camus is one of those writers in which his views skew and shift with every book; they change. I haven't done that, but I've read The Fall first, then The Stranger, The Plague, and I'm currently reading The First Man. I highly suggest you get into The Fall at some point in your life. It's a mesmerizing book.
Sep 8, 2019 8:17 AM

Nov 2016
Yarub said:
Thanakos said:
After years of shitting on Ayn Rand because intellectuals hated her, I'm now reading her precisely because intellectuals hate her. So far, I'm loving what I'm reading.
I had no opinion of her before now, but I did do some digging, and what I felt wasn't too contrary to the intellectuals. I mean, if it wasn't a destructive thought, it's contradictory.

Be more concrete. Explain.

-InfiniteLoop- said:

If you aren't depressed, don't read it.
Sep 8, 2019 8:38 AM

Jul 2013
Thanakos said:
Frankenstein is still fucking shit and I will die on this hill.

No need to insult the novel and attempt to cramp the style of its reader plus you can make like a tree and leave for trolling kid. FYI, you're talking to someone who's been reading classic literature before you reached and even peaked puberty.
Kurt_IrvingSep 8, 2019 8:43 AM
Sep 8, 2019 9:10 AM

Nov 2016
Kurt_Irving said:
Thanakos said:
Frankenstein is still fucking shit and I will die on this hill.

No need to insult the novel and attempt to cramp the style of its reader plus you can make like a tree and leave for trolling kid. FYI, you're talking to someone who's been reading classic literature before you reached and even peaked puberty.

I don't care if you're the age of a fucking turtle if you got the mind of a turtle too. Frankenstein is like that badly done anime that got popular simply because it's the first one to deal with its 'cool' themes. In reality, the story makes less sense than depressed white girls posting 'love laugh live' over the bed they got banged 100 times on. It relies on too much Suspension of Disbelief to even pose the so-called moral quandary cogently.

PS If you're still reading classical literature, get a life and do something actually valuable, old geezer.
Sep 8, 2019 12:10 PM

Aug 2012
Thanakos said:
Yarub said:

Well, some articles I have read quoted some lines and ideas proposed by the author. Namely:

1-Calling people who adhere to collectivism as primordial savages:
It's as if she was against the coming of modern states. She mistakes ideal collectivism to practical collectivism. There's a difference.

2-She advocates for extreme individualism: the irony of the situation is that when you advocate exactly that, you directly interfere with the individualism of the human.

Though these are just my thoughts.
Sep 8, 2019 1:23 PM

Jul 2013
Thanakos said:
I don't care if you're the age of a fucking turtle if you got the mind of a turtle too. Frankenstein is like that badly done anime that got popular simply because it's the first one to deal with its 'cool' themes. In reality, the story makes less sense than depressed white girls posting 'love laugh live' over the bed they got banged 100 times on. It relies on too much Suspension of Disbelief to even pose the so-called moral quandary cogently.

PS If you're still reading classical literature, get a life and do something actually valuable, old geezer.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I could care less (even critics could care less) what you think of Frankenstein. Btw, I do have a life (and I can hold out on my own in contributing to society) and you are still just a kid.

Meanwhile, I'll move on with real world stuff, reading some cool poetry or high-school level novels and leave you crying on the internet.
Sep 8, 2019 4:11 PM

Jan 2017
Oregairu light novel 1 in English, It is so different from the anime. I like it a lot.
Sep 8, 2019 11:10 PM

Feb 2017
the outsiders by stephen king.

Its the first ever western novel that im reading. ive finished reading 60% of it in 2 days lol.

i might finish it in the day after tomorrow. I might read some fantasy novel after this.

Anybody have suggestion for a fantasy novel with a little bit romance in it? preferably with a male lead.

Sep 9, 2019 8:48 AM

Nov 2016
Kurt_Irving said:
Thanakos said:

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I could care less (even critics could care less) what you think of Frankenstein. Btw, I do have a life (and I can hold out on my own in contributing to society) and you are still just a kid.

Meanwhile, I'll move on with real world stuff, reading some cool poetry or high-school level novels and leave you crying on the internet.

Yea, I couldn't care less about the fucking critics. Like who the fuck are they, purveyors of mankind's artistic taste? That was a lame appeal to authority. It's the second time now, old man, that you've failed to make a point about why Frankenstein is so deep. I even gave you something to chew on but damn. Go back to your 7/11 job and read classic literature to shield your self-esteem from reality.

Yarub said:
Thanakos said:

Well, some articles I have read quoted some lines and ideas proposed by the author. Namely:

1-Calling people who adhere to collectivism as primordial savages:
It's as if she was against the coming of modern states. She mistakes ideal collectivism to practical collectivism. There's a difference.

2-She advocates for extreme individualism: the irony of the situation is that when you advocate exactly that, you directly interfere with the individualism of the human.

Though these are just my thoughts.

What is practical collectivism? If it's something like cooperating based on mutual interests then Rand already supports that.
Sep 9, 2019 1:55 PM

Jul 2013
Thanakos said:
Yea, I couldn't care less about the fucking critics. Like who the fuck are they, purveyors of mankind's artistic taste? That was a lame appeal to authority. It's the second time now, old man, that you've failed to make a point about why Frankenstein is so deep. I even gave you something to chew on but damn. Go back to your 7/11 job and read classic literature to shield your self-esteem from reality.

Do I see you crying again? huh, mini mouse? xD I could cry about on Frankenstein and look like you (yeah! you little man), but I got some really cool s**t to read instead. Btw, I think someone should write a novel about your weeping upon Frankenstein, I sure would love that drama.
Kurt_IrvingSep 9, 2019 2:02 PM
Sep 9, 2019 2:33 PM

Aug 2012
Thanakos said:
What is practical collectivism? If it's something like cooperating based on mutual interests then Rand already supports that.
Not only that, but it also resembles something like a business relationship. A boss in an office has total command of the premises and the employees that work in his office. Rand, by her definition of collectivism, shows the boss to be "unable to conceive of individual rights, etc..", even though he's probably the only person in the whole company holding the shit together.

What Rand portrays is the actual tribal notion of collectivism; there's a guy on top who judges the matter of his underlings (no matter how qualified he is, he just has to be strong) and calls it a violation for that person to be in-charge of other people, simply because it opposes her idea of absolute individualism. While she is right in this scenario, it just doesn't add up in modern ones.
Sep 9, 2019 8:35 PM

Jul 2013
Hellboy for graphic novels and Lord of the Flies for real literature.
Sep 10, 2019 11:36 AM

Nov 2016
Yarub said:
Thanakos said:
Not only that, but it also resembles something like a business relationship. A boss in an office has total command of the premises and the employees that work in his office. Rand, by her definition of collectivism, shows the boss to be "unable to conceive of individual rights, etc..", even though he's probably the only person in the whole company holding the shit together.

What Rand portrays is the actual tribal notion of collectivism; there's a guy on top who judges the matter of his underlings (no matter how qualified he is, he just has to be strong) and calls it a violation for that person to be in-charge of other people, simply because it opposes her idea of absolute individualism. While she is right in this scenario, it just doesn't add up in modern ones.

What you're saying doesn't add up in context. Rand is one of the 'champions' of Capitalism, if you will, and she constantly likes to extol the virtues of business and business-people.

The professional businessman is the field agent of the army whose lieutenant-commander-in-chief is the scientist. The businessman carries scientific discoveries from laboratory of the inventor to industrial plants, and transforms them into material products that fill men's physical needs and expand the comfort of men's existence. By creating a mass market, he makes these products available to every income level of society. By using machines, he increases the productivity of human labor, thus raising labor's economic rewards. By organizing human effort into productive enterprises, he creates employment for men of countless professions. He is the great liberator who, in the short span of a century and a half, has released men from bondage to their physical needs, has released them from the terrible drudgery of an eighteen-hour workday of manual labor for their barest subsistence, has released them from famines, from pestilences, from the stagnant hopelessness and terror in which most of mankind had lived in all the pre-capitalist centuries -- and in which most of it still lives, in non-capitalist countries.

- For the New Intellectual, Ayn Rand

Maybe you're misinterpreting her, but either way it doesn't matter because even if she said what you think she said, her belief system simply doesn't add up on top of that so we can consider a momentary slip or whatever you like.

Kurt_Irving said:

Do I see you crying again? huh, mini mouse? xD I could cry about on Frankenstein and look like you (yeah! you little man), but I got some really cool s**t to read instead. Btw, I think someone should write a novel about your weeping upon Frankenstein, I sure would love that drama.

Cool shit like Franskenstein? Please stop tormenting yourself like this, you're already hanging from a thin thread. I'd like for you to experience the pleasure of reading a truly good book, that might perhaps change your life, before you die, so in all seriousness, please read ''How to Win Friends and Influence People''. K thnx bye
Sep 10, 2019 8:43 PM

Jul 2013
Thanakos said:
Cool shit like Franskenstein? Please stop tormenting yourself like this, you're already hanging from a thin thread. I'd like for you to experience the pleasure of reading a truly good book, that might perhaps change your life, before you die, so in all seriousness, please read ''How to Win Friends and Influence People''. K thnx bye

I didn't say Frankenstein was the cool shit I read very recently, you assuume I did aaaand did Frankenstein do something to hurt your feelings again? awww! you poor baby! *pats your back in extreme delight*

Oh! and the thing about Frankenstein is that you can't take it. Let me say it again as I poke your "manly Tarzan pecs", can't... take it. :P

Btw, I'd like to thank you for recently pointing out the fact that there is an early 20s dude with baby balls. xD
Kurt_IrvingSep 10, 2019 8:46 PM
Sep 16, 2019 9:34 AM

Jul 2013
I'm currently reading Walter Wager's 58 minutes for the 3rd time.
Sep 16, 2019 4:13 PM

Jan 2017
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha the 19th light novel and this series is so brilliant. I love all the characters.
Sep 22, 2019 1:08 PM

Jan 2017
Konosuba 9 it is just as funny as always. Megumin is just so cute.
Sep 23, 2019 11:12 AM

Aug 2017
I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire a few months ago. I recently started A Feast for Crows, but I'll have to put it off for a while until I finish the book I was assigned for English class.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Sep 23, 2019 3:28 PM

Jan 2017
Rokujouma no Shinryakusha 22 this series never ceases to amaze me in its quality. The story is just great.
Sep 24, 2019 1:30 PM

Dec 2010
I am currently reading 4 books The Lady Rogue by Jenn Bennett,Furyborn by Claire Legrand,
Illuminae by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman, and Descendant of the Crane by Joan He
Oct 14, 2019 1:34 PM
a car

Jun 2017
I've been plowing through J.A. White's The Thickety series lately. I'm on book three now, and I must say... what a criminally underrated series. It is so high-octane and also really angsty for a kids' series. Plus, the male and female leads being siblings means no romance!! I'm most likely going to start his new Shadow School series afterwards.
Oct 20, 2019 6:03 AM

Jan 2016
got interested in reading books, so right now I'm reading Land of Rain by Jurga Lago. It's decent, it's mostly about Lithuanian mythology.
Oct 20, 2019 6:20 AM

Jan 2016
I'm currently reading Master Your Motivation by Susan Fowler. Very insightful, and it's successfully made me ponder the motivations behind some of the things I do, especially my studies.
Oct 20, 2019 4:48 PM

Jan 2017
Oreigaru Light Novel 2 and Spice & Wolf 13.
Oct 20, 2019 9:01 PM

Sep 2019
Just finished Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman.

Fourth book written by Gaiman I've read, love his style. May check out Terry Pratchett to see what he's like when not writing a collaborative with Gaiman
Nov 5, 2019 1:25 PM

Sep 2019
Krewe of Hunters: i will never finish it
i explain the therapy seated on the gold chest
Nov 18, 2019 4:03 PM
Jul 2018
Kokoro by Natsume Soseki. My first time reading one of his books and I like it.
Nov 18, 2019 4:05 PM

May 2016
Arbre said:
Kokoro by Natsume Soseki. My first time reading one of his books and I like it.
Great book, most of Soseki's novels are really good. Hope you continue with his others.
Nov 18, 2019 4:18 PM
Jul 2018
Yudina said:
Great book, most of Soseki's novels are really good. Hope you continue with his others.

I'll definitely going to read his other novels now. I'm planning on getting Botchan and Ten Nights' Dreams soon.
Nov 24, 2019 3:36 PM

May 2016
I never read Ten Nights' Dreams, but Botchan is pretty funny.

It's funny you mentioned Kokoro, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've recently seen it be taught at the undergraduate level and was pretty disheartened when the vast majority of the students were bored/didn't understand it. ;[
Nov 24, 2019 10:39 PM

Aug 2015
Deng Xiaoping and the Transformation of China [363/900]Very solid book if you want to read about power struggles and internal politics.Pleasing read so far .Though there are 1 or 2 historical revisionist line which sadly to to be expected form a western scholar such as,''ÚSSR pulled out of cuba because of fear from superior american military''.Good book nonetheless.
ultravigoFeb 14, 2020 9:33 PM
Nov 25, 2019 8:33 AM

Jun 2019
Currently reading the Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai Light Novel, pretty good so far, but the lack of Dekomori and Touka bugs me a bit... :/
Nov 26, 2019 12:22 AM

Oct 2008
I'm currently reading Satsuriku ni Itaru Yamai.
Nov 29, 2019 12:59 PM

Jan 2017
I am reading A sister's all you need 5th light novel and it is hilarious as usual.
Nov 30, 2019 4:49 AM

May 2016
Dracula's bad. The epistolary style of the novel juxtaposed with the plot makes it extremely unrealistic and almost comical. Also don't think Stoker's much of a writer
Nov 30, 2019 9:18 AM

Dec 2013
Do LNs count?

At the beginning of the season I got hooked on Ascendance of a Bookworm (aka Honzuki), so I marathoned all the web novel translations. Alas, I ran out of them, so I've been reading it in Japanese instead.
Nov 30, 2019 11:08 AM

Feb 2016
started on good omens, rereading the books of earthsea. planning to go into orson scott card next; i never read the books after ender's game...

i'm also trying to find some decent hard sci-fi reads, but that's on the back-burner right now.

i like soup

Nov 30, 2019 12:31 PM

Feb 2010
Reading 'Good Omens' by Neil Gaimen & Terry Pratchett right now.

It's definitely good and a lot of fun to read as expected from those two, but compared to the discworld novels (the last of which I finished recently) it lacks a certain, idk, grace in it's wit. While Patchett was a talented writer from the start there's definitely more stylistic finesse in his later works compared to his earlier stuff.
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 30, 2019 6:40 PM

May 2016
Stellapuer said:
started on good omens, rereading the books of earthsea. planning to go into orson scott card next; i never read the books after ender's game...

i'm also trying to find some decent hard sci-fi reads, but that's on the back-burner right now.
Ender's Game was originally written as a prequel for Card's "real" book, which was Speaker for the Dead, which is superior in almost every way, so I highly recommend it. I'd say Children of the Mind and Xenocide are less good, but once you're into Speaker for the Dead you might as well finish.

For hard sci-fi, Revelation Space, Three Body Problem, Ringworld, Rendevous with Rama are all good reads imo
Dec 1, 2019 6:35 AM

Oct 2008
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Dec 13, 2019 9:30 AM

Oct 2009
Reading Stephen Kings IT. Great book. But man is it long & he rambles
Dec 15, 2019 10:01 PM

Nov 2015
Finished THE GREAT GATSBY. I enjoyed it. Far from a favourite but it wasn't disappointing. I liked F. Scotts Fitzgerald's writing. It's not unbearably old fashioned, too dense or too sparse. It was a pleasant read despite me not taking much away from it. More simple than I expected. 7/10

Currently reading a YA book called SCYTHE by Neal Shusterman. It's very thought provoking for a book found in the same section The Hunger Games would be found in (I'm only assuming this from the cover, characters, the non-ambitious writing style, and label "Recommended for 13 ages and up". I saw it sitting on a misplaced shelf while waiting in the bookstore line and grabbed it because of my crippling lack of self control for buying books. Who knows where it came from...). Usually dystopian YA books like this follow the same tropes and cliches, and then burnout by the 3rd book (Divergent, Hunger Games, Maze Runner, etc.), but this one looks promising. I like how the characters are written.

Also reading THE POWER OF HABIT: WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO IN LIFE AND BUSINESS by Charles Duhigg. Very fascinating and with a lot of good research put into it.

My next read will most likely be THE IDIOT by Fyodor Dostoevsky. I started it, but my copy is elsewhere. I have to wait to recover it.
Dec 17, 2019 3:22 PM
Oct 2017
I started the Durarara!! light novel but the book ended up in the wrong box and was traded in. I went to go check it out at the library but I accidentally got the manga. So I might read the part in the manga that I already read in the light novel
Dec 17, 2019 3:46 PM

Jan 2017
I am starting If It's for My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord tomorrow.
Dec 23, 2019 2:55 AM

Feb 2019
House of Chains - Malazan Book of the Fallen, Feeling like reading the best, books could possibly offer. Recommended to anyone who likes epic fantasy along the lines of ASOIAF. It's that good. Like say, Malazan is simply Game of Thrones on steroids (Though very different).
stickyfingersxDec 23, 2019 3:02 AM
Dec 23, 2019 4:57 AM

Jul 2016
I've been trying to get into some older, classical literature for a while now, so I'm currently halfway through 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne. According to the forward, this novel's had a bit of a sordid history regarding its English translations taking too many creative liberties and the version I have is supposed to be the new, accurate one.

So far, I'm really enjoying it. I can see how it's stuck around this long and inspired so many people despite being published in 1870. It's definitely inspired me in my own writing and I haven't even finished it yet, despite a very victorian case of racism in one of the chapters I just read. Other than that, it's great.
Jan 11, 2020 12:04 PM

Aug 2012
Finally done with The Rebel by Camus. Surprisingly detailed and rigorous description of most radical philosophies from 1789 up until the 20th century. I find this to be a good essay but I find some points to be heavily extended and some not very elucidated. Don't get me wrong, Camus is a phenomenal writer, and is quite comprehensible compared to the writers he critiques (Hegel, Nietzsche, etc...), but if you're not well versed with the topic he speaks of, you could easily get lost. This is best supplemented with continuous research on different compound terms and phrases to fully enjoy the experience.
Pages (114) « First ... « 104 105 [106] 107 108 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7576 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

2 by Pengawas »»
14 minutes ago

» Mal spotify collaborative playlist ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Jan 6

60 by tsukareru »»
Yesterday, 12:17 PM

Poll: » Avatar: The Way of Water or Dune: Part Two

AcbSnakeDemon - Apr 20

6 by alex889 »»
Yesterday, 1:16 AM

» What Are Your Thoughts On The Owl House?

Enderobot - Apr 18

6 by Enderobot »»
Apr 23, 9:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.