Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2019 10:02 AM
Aug 2016
Why does the US, Myanmar and Liberia still uses the imperial system instead of the metric one since this is the most used measurement system in the world?

Also, only these 3 countries use this system and the rest of the world use the metric one, but why does the US thinks that the imperial system is the most used measurement system in the world just because they use it?

And another thing that is not really related to the topic but since I just started it, I think I should finish it. Why does the US think that the rest of the world does every single thing as they do ... just because they do it that way?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Sep 9, 2019 10:37 AM

Nov 2016
Why don't you just use Google???????
Sep 9, 2019 10:40 AM
Feb 2017
Funny how since I did XC in high school we used meters, so now I use it sometimes in exchange for 1 mile and such.
Sep 9, 2019 10:44 AM

Jan 2019
America doesn't think the rest of the world does things its way, it simply expects others to accommodate the way they do things since its arguably the #1 Superpower. Perks of the job.

The whole "clueless american knows nothing of the outside world" cliche is getting pretty old, if anything it makes the ones saying that seem clueless considering America is one of the most diverse countries in the world.
Sep 9, 2019 10:46 AM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:

I did, and thought I wanted to hear opinions on this so I asked.
You just got offended on the last part that I said just because you're from the US and I also deleted you from my friend list a loooooong time ago because you did something that goes against my principles and probably because of those 2 reasons you gave me an empty answer with no real value. Also, when I posted this thread I thought about you and another guy I used to talk to here. You two gave me the inspiration for this thread because the 2 of you are the ideal example of what I wrote above.
Sep 9, 2019 10:51 AM
Aug 2016
DiscoDespot said:
America doesn't think the rest of the world does things its way, it simply expects others to accommodate the way they do things since its arguably the #1 Superpower. Perks of the job.

The whole "clueless american knows nothing of the outside world" cliche is getting pretty old, if anything it makes the ones saying that seem clueless considering America is one of the most diverse countries in the world.

I really like how you mentioned '''expects others to accommodate the way they do things'' like it's kind of a mandatory thing for us, the REST OF THE WORLD to do things as they do. They should learn that they are not the center of the world and they are not as good as they think they are.
Sep 9, 2019 10:55 AM

Nov 2016
Kuroko-chan said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

You just got offended on the last part that I said just because you're from the US and I also deleted you from my friend list a loooooong time ago because you did something that goes against my principles and probably because of those 2 reasons you gave me an empty answer with no real value. Also, when I posted this thread I thought about you and another guy I used to talk to here. You two gave me the inspiration for this thread because the 2 of you are the ideal example of what I wrote above.

Offend me how? I was happy to be rid of you. Hmm.. I do remember you throwing a fit when I removed you from Discord many months ago. That was quite delightful.
Sep 9, 2019 10:57 AM

Jan 2013
Basically it's too much of an ordeal to enforce the use of the superior system (that being the metric system, for those confused).

If you think about it objectively, the metric system wins the imperial system in every regard.

@SpamuraiSensei
Wow, you're such a dickhead.
Sep 9, 2019 10:59 AM

Jan 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
DiscoDespot said:

I really like how you mentioned '''expects others to accommodate the way they do things'' like it's kind of a mandatory thing for us, the REST OF THE WORLD to do things as they do. They should learn that they are not the center of the world and they are not as good as they think they are.

America does things the way it wants and other countries bend the knee because they acknowledge the sway America has. Thats hardly naive behavior, its America knowingly taking advantage of their position of power on a global scale. Keep in mind that my first paragraph was not referring to individual American citizen behavior but the U.S. policy toward other nations.
Sep 9, 2019 11:02 AM

Nov 2016
CondemneDio said:
Basically it's too much of an ordeal to enforce the use of the superior system (that being the metric system, for those confused).

If you think about it objectively, the metric system wins the imperial system in every regard.

@SpamuraiSensei

Name calling and derogatory words is what low IQ people do. Be better than that.

And here, is the answer to the question presented in the topic.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/why-us-not-on-metric-system.htm
SpamuraiSenseiSep 9, 2019 11:05 AM
Sep 9, 2019 11:04 AM

Jan 2013
SpamuraiSensei said:
CondemneDio said:

@SpamuraiSensei

Name calling and derogatory words is what low IQ people do. Be better than that.

If I see someone act like an asshole, I'm not afraid to say it to their face. I don't give a shit if I hurt the feelings of someone who is willing to do the same thing to others.
Sep 9, 2019 11:06 AM

Nov 2016
CondemneDio said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

If I see someone act like an asshole, I'm not afraid to say it to their face. I don't give a shit if I hurt the feelings of someone who is willing to do the same thing to others.

Don't derail the topic please. It's against the forum TOS. If you'd like to whine to me, do it in my comments section on my profile like a good boy.
Sep 9, 2019 11:08 AM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Kuroko-chan said:

Offend me how? I was happy to be rid of you. Hmm.. I do remember you throwing a fit when I removed you from Discord many months ago. That was quite delightful.

I guess you have a bad memory. I remember you removed me from Discord, but I was quite relieved since I was able to remove you from my friend list without you having to cause a scene about that, since you couldn't blame me for doing to you something that you did to me aswell, so I was able to do something that I wanted to do for a long time before that without having to worry about your reaction, and I didn't throw a fit since I completely ignored you both on MAL and Discord after that since I wanted to have nothing to do with you or anything related to you. You're delusional.
Sep 9, 2019 11:08 AM

Jan 2013
SpamuraiSensei said:
CondemneDio said:

Don't derail the topic please. It's against the forum TOS. If you'd like to whine to me, do it in my comments section on my profile like a good boy.

Fuck you. You derailed this shit first and you know it.
Sep 9, 2019 11:13 AM
Aug 2016
DiscoDespot said:
Kuroko-chan said:

America does things the way it wants and other countries bend the knee because they acknowledge the sway America has. Thats hardly naive behavior, its America knowingly taking advantage of their position of power on a global scale. Keep in mind that my first paragraph was not referring to individual American citizen behavior but the U.S. policy toward other nations.

''other countries bend the knee because they acknowledge the sway America has''
Ok, continue being delusional. That's what you people want to think and we do that just to make you feel more comfartable when we actually don't give a damn about you and we still use our metric system. If we were to acknowledge you, we would've used the imperial system a long time ago, but we don't.
People from other countries usually knows 2 languages, one that is our native and the other that is English, to make you feel comfortable and not force you to learn other languages aswell. That alone shows that people from the US, the majority of them are way inferior to us, the rest of the world who are at least bilingual.

EDIT. America is not just the US. America is also the Latin America for your limited knowledge.
Sep 9, 2019 11:14 AM

Nov 2016
@CondemneDio @Kuroko-chan

If you two have issues, (none that I really care about) talk about it together in your profile comments or PMs.

Please stop derailing the topic.

Now back to it, I do believe at first.. The USA system of measurement was mostly political. It is a pain working on things that require metric units of measurement, but anyone familiar with mechanics probably has the conversions down to a science already.

It would be too much trouble to change everything now.

But for a better explanation..
https://www.britannica.com/story/why-doesnt-the-u.s.-use-the-metric-system
Sep 9, 2019 11:16 AM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:

If you two have issues, (none that I really care about) talk about it together in your profile comments or PMs.

Now back to it, I do believe at first.. The USA system of measurement was mostly political. It is a pain working on things that require metric units of measurement, but anyone familiar with mechanics probably has the conversations down to a science already.

Anyone familiar with that? You mean THE REST OF THE WORLD????
Sep 9, 2019 11:20 AM

Nov 2016
Kuroko-chan said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

Now back to it, I do believe at first.. The USA system of measurement was mostly political. It is a pain working on things that require metric units of measurement, but anyone familiar with mechanics probably has the conversations down to a science already.

If you read closely, I said mechanics. Often when you're working on cars they use sockets of both metric and sae (usa) measurements. Not everyone is mechanically inclined, as I know quite a few people who choose to lease their automobiles for this reason.
Sep 9, 2019 11:32 AM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Kuroko-chan said:

If you read closely, I said mechanics. Often when you're working on cars they use sockets of both metric and sae (usa) measurements. Not everyone is mechanically inclined, as I know quite a few people who choose to lease their automobiles for this reason.

Ok, I admit, that was my mistake for reading it wrong, but you still can't justify the answers you gave before.
Sep 9, 2019 11:33 AM

Jan 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
DiscoDespot said:

Ok, continue being delusional. That's what you people want to think and we do that just to make you feel more comfartable when we actually don't give a damn about you and we still use our metric system. If we were to acknowledge you, we would've used the imperial system a long time ago, but we don't.
We were talking about how America uses the Imperial system because it doesn't give a damn, not vice versa. Like it or not America has more political, military and cultural sway than any other power and it has influenced internal changes in plenty of other countries.

Kuroko-chan said:
People from other countries usually knows 2 languages, one that is our native and the other that is English, to make you feel comfortable and not force you to learn other languages aswell. That alone shows that people from the US, the majority of them are way inferior to us, the rest of the world who are at least bilingual.

Keep in mind America is a geographically huge country unlike Europe where countries are smaller and packed much closer than the U.S. In order for Europeans to conduct business it was necessary to learn a more universal language instead of the alternative option of learning 5 languages of neighboring countries. Its hardly about helping Americans feel comfortable. With much of the globe already speaking some level of English much of the native English speakers feel less driven to learn another language when communication with other countries is possible in their native tongue.
Sep 9, 2019 11:40 AM

Dec 2016
Most people rarely even use the Imperial system daily and forget most of it.
Most can't even read a tape measure either. I usually estimate and mentally convert into decimals, like 63.25, 63.50, and 63.75 and some old guy gives me shit for not using the fractions. I ignore anything other than 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4.

https://www.inchcalculator.com/how-to-use-tape-measure/

I wish yall didn't learn English to be honest, since I wouldn't have to listen to you, the limeys are bad enough. Nothing a good carpet bombing can't fix to be honest.
Sep 9, 2019 11:46 AM

Nov 2016
Kuroko-chan said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

Ok, I admit, that was my mistake for reading it wrong, but you still can't justify the answers you gave before.

Hmm? Oh, sorry. The way you constructed your thread topic made it sound like a question you wanted a real answer to. Google = best option.

Now, If it's about other things besides measurements, I'd rather not get into any drama. I'll just leave it as; You were toxic towards me since I've met you. You even apologized for it a few times. And two, you've posted in a lot of the threads I've made here on the casual discussions section. That was always puzzling to me, but I never took issue with it, so I don't know why you are.
Sep 9, 2019 11:47 AM

Nov 2016
Soverign said:
Most people rarely even use the Imperial system daily and forget most of it.
Most can't even read a tape measure either. I usually estimate and mentally convert into decimals, like 63.25, 63.50, and 63.75 and some old guy gives me shit for not using the fractions. I ignore anything other than 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4.

https://www.inchcalculator.com/how-to-use-tape-measure/

I wish yall didn't learn English to be honest, since I wouldn't have to listen to you, the limeys are bad enough. Nothing a good carpet bombing can't fix to be honest.

The amount of college grads I've seen that don't know how to use a tape measure is funny to me.
Sep 9, 2019 11:47 AM
Aug 2016
DiscoDespot said:
Kuroko-chan said:

We were talking about how America uses the Imperial system because it doesn't give a damn, not vice versa. Like it or not America has more political, military and cultural sway than any other power and it has influenced internal changes in plenty of other countries.

Kuroko-chan said:

Keep in mind America is a geographically huge country unlike Europe where countries are smaller and packed much closer than the U.S. In order for Europeans to conduct business it was necessary to learn a more universal language instead of the alternative option of learning 5 languages of neighboring countries. Its hardly about helping Americans feel comfortable. With much of the globe already speaking some level of English much of the native English speakers feel less driven to learn another language when communication with other countries is possible in their native tongue.

Hai mai du-te dracu' de prost.

Let's see if now you'll feel more superior.
Don't bother to use any kind of online translation since this phraze will most likely be translated wrong since one of the words used there doesn't even exists in English.

And for the last part you mentioned. Let's say you're going to visit a foreign country. Sure, you don't need to learn a new language since most people will speak in your native tongue, but that to make you feel comfortable as a tourist. What if we were to understand you, but start speaking in our native tongue just because. In that way you would have to learn it, you would actually be forced to learn it since you won't be able to communicate with anybody, no directions if you're lost, no anything. That's an advantage for us, to know English, but a disadvantage for you to know only English. Try to argue with me on this one if you feel so confident.
Sep 9, 2019 11:48 AM

Jul 2015
The metric system still gets used in the us. Just not as widespread as the rest of the world. Also why you mad op?
Sep 9, 2019 11:58 AM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Kuroko-chan said:

Hmm? Oh, sorry. The way you constructed your thread topic made it sound like a question you wanted a real answer to. Google = best option.

Now, If it's about other things besides measurements, I'd rather not get into any drama. I'll just leave it as; You were toxic towards me since I've met you. You even apologized for it a few times. And two, you've posted in a lot of the threads I've made here on the casual discussions section. That was always puzzling to me, but I never took issue with it, so I don't know why you are.

If for you joking one with each other means toxic, then yes, you can call me toxic, but that won't make you better than me since you deserve it. I told you to suck a dick, that's because you called me a walrus. Hope you remember that. Told you to suck a dick on many ocasions, I didn't do it without a reason, you were always kind of provoking me, so you deserve all of it, and now you play the victim again. I even got into a fight once with my best friend because of you. She ended up realising I was right, without me even bothering to give her a hint about you, and she deleted you willingly from both MAL and Discord since you were so toxic to both of us, yet you called us toxic, but this is more of a personal matter, if I were to bring here things that other people don't know about you, they would most probably stop talking to you since they would know how horrible of a person you are. Want me to tell you why I deleted you in the first place? Not because you were toxic, no, no. Because of what you did on Discord to that poor girl. When something wrong happens, you should try to do something to stop it, not to spread it. Did you ever thought how horrible that girl must've felt for what you did? Sharing with other dudes personal pictures of someone is not something people should do, especially since that person didn't aprouve of it, and those pictures were meant for only one person to see, not the entire internet. Want me to reveal everything? You shocked that I know about this? Want to know how I found out about this? Want me to tell everybody about what kind of person you really are?
You're excuse to that? ''We're all adults here''.
Dude, that doesn't give you the right to share with other people personal stuff of others. That's messed up.
Sep 9, 2019 12:10 PM

Nov 2016
Kuroko-chan said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

If for you joking one with each other means toxic, then yes, you can call me toxic, but that won't make you better than me since you deserve it. I told you to suck a dick, that's because you called me a walrus. Hope you remember that. Told you to suck a dick on many ocasions, I didn't do it without a reason, you were always kind of provoking me, so you deserve all of it, and now you play the victim again. I even got into a fight once with my best friend because of you. She ended up realising I was right, without me even bothering to give her a hint about you, and she deleted you willingly from both MAL and Discord since you were so toxic to both of us, yet you called us toxic, but this is more of a personal matter, if I were to bring here things that other people don't know about you, they would most probably stop talking to you since they would know how horrible of a person you are. Want me to tell you why I deleted you in the first place? Not because you were toxic, no, no. Because of what you did on Discord to that poor girl. When something wrong happens, you should try to do something to stop it, not to spread it. Did you ever thought how horrible that girl must've felt for what you did? Sharing with other dudes personal pictures of someone is not something people should do, especially since that person didn't aprouve of it, and those pictures were meant for only one person to see, not the entire internet. Want me to reveal everything? You shocked that I know about this? Want to know how I found out about this? Want me to tell everybody about what kind of person you really are?
Dude, that doesn't give you the right to share with other people personal stuff of others. That's messed up.

You probably shouldn't talk about things you don't know the whole story too. It makes your perspective a dishonest one.

To use a bit of an analogy, if you witness a murder and report it, does that make you a criminal?

Now ask yourself why everyone involved was permabanned, but me.

GJ derailing your own topic
Sep 9, 2019 12:13 PM

Jan 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
DiscoDespot said:

Don't bother to use any kind of online translation since this phraze will most likely be translated wrong since one of the words used there doesn't even exists in English.

And for the last part you mentioned. Let's say you're going to visit a foreign country. Sure, you don't need to learn a new language since most people will speak in your native tongue, but that to make you feel comfortable as a tourist. What if we were to understand you, but start speaking in our native tongue just because. In that way you would have to learn it, you would actually be forced to learn it since you won't be able to communicate with anybody, no directions if you're lost, no anything. That's an advantage for us, to know English, but a disadvantage for you to know only English. Try to argue with me on this one if you feel so confident.

Don't worry, I had no intention of trying to translate whatever you said. Its as pointless as me posting Klingon phrases and attempting to be condescending about it.

America accommodates tourists in exactly the same way every other country does as tourist spots will always have a higher concentration of Multi-lingual signage and individuals to accommodate the tourist trade. You seem to unreasonably expect people to dedicate years of their lives to learn a language for a country they are vacationing in for a few weeks. Unless an English speaker plans to continuously conduct business or visit family in a foreign country there is not much of a point in learning a language that can only be used in a small percentage of the globe.

Sep 9, 2019 12:30 PM
Aug 2016
DiscoDespot said:
Kuroko-chan said:

Don't worry, I had no intention of trying to translate whatever you said. Its as pointless as me posting Klingon phrases and attempting to be condescending about it.

America accommodates tourists in exactly the same way every other country does as tourist spots will always have a higher concentration of Multi-lingual signage and individuals to accommodate the tourist trade. You seem to unreasonably expect people to dedicate years of their lives to learn a language for a country they are vacationing in for a few weeks. Unless an English speaker plans to continuously conduct business or visit family in a foreign country there is not much of a point in learning a language that can only be used in a small percentage of the globe.

And what's the point of so many people learning English on the entire globe when more than 95 percent of us will probably never go to an English speaking country or any other country that requires English or do business that necessarily requires English?
Sep 9, 2019 12:35 PM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Kuroko-chan said:

You probably shouldn't talk about things you don't know the whole story too. It makes your perspective a dishonest one.

To use a bit of an analogy, if you witness a murder and report it, does that make you a criminal?

I have my trustworthy sources that told me that you didn't ONLY witnessed the whole thing, but you also participated to it. Why should I trust YOU, who all this time on this topic told me stuff about myself that I knew they were not true *like me being toxic, but you didn't mention why I was toxic towards you, and played the victim, but you knew what you did to make me say those things* and not trust my trustworthy source I know for may years? How do I know you're not trying to play the victim now aswell?
Sep 9, 2019 12:46 PM

Jan 2009
Sep 9, 2019 12:47 PM

Nov 2016
Kuroko-chan said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

I have my trustworthy sources that told me that you didn't ONLY witnessed the whole thing, but you also participated to it. Why should I trust YOU, who all this time on this topic told me stuff about myself that I knew they were not true *like me being toxic, but you didn't mention why I was toxic towards you, and played the victim, but you knew what you did to make me say those things* and not trust my trustworthy source I know for may years? How do I know you're not trying to play the victim now aswell?

Talk about beating a dead horse..

The hypocrisy is you have people on your friendslist right now that still stalk and bully the person you're referring to.

I didn't participate in anything, but I did bring a moderator into that infamous server. it's why I'm still here you naive boy you.

Personally, I really don't care what you believe. You've already made up your mind long ago without ever asking me about it. I don't value people that like.
Sep 9, 2019 12:49 PM

Jan 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
DiscoDespot said:

And what's the point of so many people learning English on the entire globe when more than 95 percent of us will probably never go to an English speaking country or any other country that requires English or do business that necessarily requires English?

We are going in circles here. As I already stated English is simply the logical choice as a universal language as it is the most widely spoken. There is a major English speaking country in every major part of the globe: England in Europe, U.S. in Americas and Australia in the east, even if you never plan on going out of the country English is a useful tool. Back when I used to play online games all of the people from Germany, France and Poland would talk to eachother in English, playing together would have been impossible if one German guy new French and the French guy knew Polish etc.

You complain about Americans being uncultured for not wanting to learn another language but here you are ranting about having to do the exact same thing.
Sep 9, 2019 12:49 PM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Kuroko-chan said:

The hypocrisy is you have people on your friendslist right now that still stalk and bully the person you're referring to.

I didn't participate in anything, but I did bring a moderator into that infamous server. it's why I'm still here you naive boy you.

Personally, I really don't care what you believe. You've already made up your mind long ago without ever asking me about it. I don't value people that like.

Funny to say that when you were the first one to remove me from your Discord list without giving me any kind of explanation on why you did that, and then wondered why I removed you from my MAL friend list.
Sep 9, 2019 12:55 PM

Nov 2016
Kuroko-chan said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

Funny to say that when you were the first one to remove me from your Discord list without giving me any kind of explanation on why you did that, and then wondered why I removed you from my MAL friend list.

None of this matters, don't know why you keep bringing this up. I don't want to be your friend Kuro, sorry.
SpamuraiSenseiSep 9, 2019 1:02 PM
Sep 9, 2019 12:56 PM
Aug 2016
DiscoDespot said:
Kuroko-chan said:

We are going in circles here. As I already stated English is simply the logical choice as a universal language as it is the most widely spoken. There is a major English speaking country in every major part of the globe: England in Europe, U.S. in Americas and Australia in the east, even if you never plan on going out of the country English is a useful tool. Back when I used to play online games all of the people from Germany, France and Poland would talk to eachother in English, playing together would have been impossible if one German guy new French and the French guy knew Polish etc.

You complain about Americans being uncultured for not wanting to learn another language but here you are ranting about having to do the exact same thing.

My only few questions are ''Why English tho?'', ''Why not another language?'', ''Who decided that English should be the universal language instead of another one?''. For example Mandarin since that is the one most widely spoken by natives, not English, which is widely spoken as a secondary language actually, unlike Mandarin who is mainly spoken in Mainland China. English is not even second if we are to take it ONLY by natives. The second would come Spanish. English would come only as the third one. Still, two languages ahead of English, English is still the one everybody use the most. My question is WHY????
Sep 9, 2019 12:56 PM

Aug 2014
Here are some reasons the US uses imperial rather than metric.

https://askawiseman.com/metric/
http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/14082/the-metric-system-is-stupid/
https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/metric-system-is-dumb-and-here-is-why-rant-2014-1488340/
https://blog.stakeventures.com/articles/in-defence-of-imperial-units

The metric system is clearly more precise for technical/scientific work, but imperial is more practical for layman use, in my opinion. The units in metric are either too large or too small, in my experience.

Here's an example. Woofers (bass drivers in loudspeakers) are typically measured in inches. 12 inches, for instance, is easy to remember, whereas 305 millimeters is a large and random number.
Sep 9, 2019 12:58 PM
Aug 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Kuroko-chan said:

None of this matters, don't know what you keep bringing this up. I don't want to be your friend Kuro, sorry.

Did I say I want you to be my friend? No, as far as I remember, I didn't. Bye.
Sep 9, 2019 1:00 PM

Jan 2013
SadMadoka said:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/metric-system-is-dumb-and-here-is-why-rant-2014-1488340/

The metric system is clearly more precise for technical/scientific work, but imperial is more practical for layman use, in my opinion. The units in metric are either too large or too small, in my experience.

Here's an example. Woofers (bass drivers in loudspeakers) are typically measured in inches. 12 inches, for instance, is easy to remember, whereas 310 millimeters is a large and random number.

The thing about Imperial system being more about "layman's use"....... How is a feet easier than a meter? I can just as easily measure out a meter as a foot. When we get to miles or kilometers, you won't measure it easily without tools.
Inches aren't easier than millimeters either, just talk about centimeters. 12 is no more random than 31.
Sep 9, 2019 1:01 PM
Aug 2016
SadMadoka said:

Here's an example. Woofers (bass drivers in loudspeakers) are typically measured in inches. 12 inches, for instance, is easy to remember, whereas 305 millimeters is a large and random number.

I only wanted some opinions. I could've easily search on Google myself those things, but I can't read other people's minds to find out their opinions, that's why I asked here, otherwise I would't have bothered to even ask.
Sep 9, 2019 1:06 PM

Jan 2019
Kuroko-chan said:
DiscoDespot said:

My only few questions are ''Why English tho?'', ''Why not another language?'', ''Who decided that English should be the universal language instead of another one?''. For example Mandarin since that is the one most widely spoken by natives, not English, which is widely spoken as a secondary language actually, unlike Mandarin who is mainly spoken in Mainland China. English is not even second if we are to take it ONLY by natives. The second would come Spanish. English would come only as the third one. Still, two languages ahead of English, English is still the one everybody use the most. My question is WHY????

Dude, we already talked about this. Its about geographic location and global influence. China missed the opportunity to be a global influence since had been trying to isolate itself for most it's existence, not to mention their writing system is prohibitively hard to learn.

Spanish speaking countries have had little impact globally in the past century unlike England and the U.S. It doesn't matter how many people speak the language if nobody wants to talk to them.
Sep 9, 2019 1:09 PM
Jul 2018
The US use their shit system for same dumb reseason as they use their "US Paper Size".

Sep 9, 2019 1:19 PM

Aug 2014
CondemneDio said:
The thing about Imperial system being more about "layman's use"....... How is a feet easier than a meter? I can just as easily measure out a meter as a foot. When we get to miles or kilometers, you won't measure it easily without tools.
Inches aren't easier than millimeters either, just talk about centimeters. 12 is no more random than 31.

You can easily work with metric because you were raised with it. Most Americans were not. When you've used imperial your entire life and almost never used metric (like myself and millions of others), it's not just as easy. I don't find it practical at all whenever I use metric, whereas imperial always feels natural to me. (That's subjective, of course.)

A meter is over three feet. Most people are under two meters, so that's not very practical for measuring height. Now go down to centimeters...but then you're in the hundreds. It's not practical to memorize or work with numbers that large for such a simple thing.

Back to woofers... Which looks simpler to you: the standardized inches that nearly all speakers are advertised with, like 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15...or centimeters, which would be something like 12.7, 20.32, 25.4, 30.48, and 38.1? No one is going to memorize or work with random-looking decimals like that.

For more info, check out the links I provided.
Sep 9, 2019 1:20 PM

Jan 2009
just familiarity and wanting to maintain the status quo since people usually hate change, who wants to use 2 measurement systems and the conversion computation for them is a pain in the brain too
Sep 9, 2019 1:28 PM

Jan 2009
SadMadoka said:
Back to woofers... Which looks simpler to you: the standardized inches that nearly all speakers are advertised with, like 5, 8, 10, 12, and 15...or centimeters, which would be something like 12.7, 20.32, 25.4, 30.48, and 38.1? No one is going to memorize or work with random-looking decimals like that.
If the speakers were built with metrics in mind, they would have been like 10, 20, 25, 30 and 40 cm or any other round number. Imagine a 50 cm display instead of a 20 inches screen and you get basically the same effect

BallistikJuice said:
The US use their shit system for same dumb reseason as they use their "US Paper Size".
I think Canadian also have the special size. But what's more confusing than anything else is the "dot vs comma" for decimal separator and it seems like the world is split between the two systems
Sep 9, 2019 1:32 PM

Oct 2017
I've lived both worlds, I grew up using metric, and got used to the US customary units in order to accommodate my American parents.
I have to say metrics is way easier beleive me when you get through 30 minutes reading about the metric system you'll get it right away, I say this because my 12 yo nephew did it.
BTW I don't think it's necessary for the U.S to change as far as it continues being the world's leading superpower, there's barely any benefit for the average 70% and maybe the cost to change the system outweights the convenience.

As for your last statement, that's because the U.S is a massive country bordered by Canada which is basically USA 2 and Mexico which we have a wall and plenty of border protection, that leads to an isolation when it comes to knowledge of other countries, the average American that never left the US doesn't care if France uses mph or kmh and it barely changes anything on his life.
''Enemies' gifts are no gifts and do no good.''
Sep 9, 2019 1:50 PM

Dec 2016
Real talk, how the fuck do I convert cup sizes into cm? Now that shit is mind fucking boggling!
Uh, for science, not for the 1,000 dollar vampire sex doll I am ordering or anything. <_<

https://www.thirdlove.com/pages/bra-size-chart
Sep 9, 2019 1:52 PM

Nov 2016
Soverign said:
Real talk, how the fuck do I convert cup sizes into cm? Now that shit is mind fucking boggling!
Uh, for science, not for the 1,000 dollar vampire sex doll I am ordering or anything. <_<

Do they accept PayPal? Asking for a friend.
Sep 9, 2019 2:37 PM

Dec 2016
SpamuraiSensei said:
Soverign said:

Yep.

I was only asking because I was considering on writing a thesis on perky C-cups or shapely D-cups. Then I got side tracked and added some horns for a succuvamp, you know, for a stable grip during scientific doggystyle testing.

Should I go with the white or the black?
Sep 9, 2019 2:38 PM

Nov 2016
Soverign said:
SpamuraiSensei said:

Yep.

I was only asking because I was considering on writing a thesis on perky C-cups or shapely D-cups. Then I got side tracked and added some horns for a succuvamp, you know, for a stable grip during scientific doggystyle testing.

Should I go with the white or the black?

I'm thinking more of a dark red.. perhaps a crimson?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what is "love" to you ? what makes you feel loved and how you love people ?

ame - Today

13 by 0arche »»
18 minutes ago

» What hobbies, skills, or common views do you wish a significant other had?

IpreferEcchi - 8 hours ago

8 by traed »»
56 minutes ago

» How do you know other people actually exist?

purple_rayn - Yesterday

14 by Kikugi »»
57 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - 11 hours ago

25 by Kikugi »»
1 hour ago

» What do you think about tourism in your country?

Sad - 1 hour ago

2 by Sad »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.