Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 28, 2019 7:57 AM

Dec 2016
Parliament will be suspended just days after MPs return to work in September - and only a few weeks before the Brexit deadline.

Boris Johnson said a Queen's Speech would take place after the suspension, on 14 October, to outline his "very exciting agenda".

But it means the time MPs have to pass laws to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October would be cut.
House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said it was a "constitutional outrage".

The speaker, who does not traditionally comment on political announcements, continued: "However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of [suspending Parliament] now would be to stop [MPs] debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: "Suspending Parliament is not acceptable, it is not on. What the prime minister is doing is a smash and grab on our democracy to force through a no deal," he said.

He said when MPs return to the Commons next Tuesday, "the first thing we'll do is attempt legislation to prevent what [the PM] is doing", followed by a vote of no confidence "at some point".

But US President Donald Trump tweeted his support for Mr Johnson, saying it "would be very hard" for Mr Corbyn to seek a no-confidence vote against the PM, "especially in light of the fact that Boris is exactly what the UK has been looking for".

Three Conservative members of the Queen's Privy Council took the request to suspend Parliament to the monarch's Scottish residence in Balmoral on Wednesday morning on behalf of the prime minister.

It has now been approved, allowing the government to suspend Parliament no earlier than Monday 9 September and no later than Thursday 12 September, until Monday 14 October.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632

on the one hand, i can see why he's done it - part of the lack of progress in brexit was due to all the angst in parliament - but i'm still not keen on this 'exciting agenda' of johnson's. doesn't help that, out of all people, trump's the one supporting him.

AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 28, 2019 9:14 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Ow shit, vacations. Who the Hell would complain?

Aug 28, 2019 11:01 AM

Jul 2019
Exactly one day after Corbyn ditched the idea of a vote of no confidence. I guess this was Boris' plan all along. He knew he could never get any kind of deal through parliament with his slim majority and internal opponents.

Now, even if the patchwork remain alliance can agree to a motion of no confidence, all conservatives should stay on his side since they want to keep their mandate. If the vote was succesful, there would probably be a general election since a Labour minority government seems very unlikely. In this case the deadline would pass anyway and a no deal brexit will take place. If the motion failed, he could present a new deal or more likely aim for a no deal scenario.

As long as the EU does not grant another extension Brexit is more likey than ever.
SeygneurAug 28, 2019 11:32 AM
Aug 28, 2019 11:29 AM
Jul 2018
People are right. This guy really is UK's version of Trump.

Well, people in the UK aren't much smarter so this doesn't surprise me.
Aug 29, 2019 12:50 AM

Sep 2018
Good news, I love the hypocrites trying to say this is tainting democracy as they are trying to overthrow a democratic referendum!

He wouldn't have had to do this if those MPs would just accept the will of the people.
I'm no fan of BoJo but I think he has played a blinder since he has become PM and he knows their plan has zero chance of succeeding because the toxic Corbyn is at the centre of it and he happens to be a hardcore anti EU person but turned into a remainer as he thinks it will get him more votes.

Shame that traitor May was in charge for so long and is solely responsible for this mess. We are out on October 31st no matter what the EU say or do.
Aug 29, 2019 12:54 AM

Jan 2009
so a Hard Brexit is inevitable then? hopefully this will not domino/spiral to a global recession
Aug 29, 2019 1:31 AM

Jul 2015
Brits: throw bricks at each others while trying to burn down their government
Frenchies: sip tea and makes jokes about it

What a time to be alive.
Aug 29, 2019 1:47 AM

Sep 2018
The Frenchies are not getting the hand tailored deal they thought they were getting, the EU should be the most upset. This is the worst case scenario for them.

A brexit is assured on October the 31st. The EU can negotiate but if they don't, it will be a hard brexit. BoJo out manoeuvred the EU and now it looks like the EU are making sure there is no deal so there will be a lot of pressure on them from EU companies.

Of course, they will have to renegotiate after no deal. Now all he needs to do is threaten to dump 2 millions jobless Poles back into Poland within a year if we don't have a deal then. Start playing hardball.

I have nothing against those Poles but you have to use everything you have against the likes of the EU.

---How an Irish journalist/observer warned in 2013 how the pro-EU elite would seek to block Brexit

In November 2013, Robert Oulds of the Bruges Group invited me to speak at a conference in London. He asked me because I had been for some years accredited as a journalist to the EU institutions in Brussels, writing in the Brussels Blog for the Mail Online. More, being Irish, I had particular experience in the matter of EU referendums. Ireland had just finished some years which became known as “the never-endums.” I’d been in the middle of it all. I had some warnings for Britain.
The never-endums in Ireland began in June 2001, when the Irish voters rejected the Nice Treaty – that’s the treaty which readied the EU for new member states from Eastern Europe. The Irish voters recognised that the treaty marginalised the power of smaller states. They voted No. The shock was fierce in Brussels, and Irish politicians, to their shame, went to the European Council to make apologies for their own people. The Irish were forced to vote again. The firepower and Project Fear of the political parties, and some gestures and garnishes from the EU, made sure this time the people gave the right answer.

Then, in June 2008, there was another referendum, this one on the Lisbon Treaty. The Irish were the only people in the EU to be allowed a vote, and they voted No by 53.4% to 46.6%. That was a larger margin than Leave won in the British 2016 referendum. Brian Cowen was then the Irish Prime Minister. I had to watch him at the European Council, shivering like a whipped spaniel, promising he would reverse the vote if only the EU would give him something, anything, he could take home and present as a concession. The EU finally promised to tack on a few paragraphs to a future accession treaty with Croatia that only repeated what was already in the European treaties – that Ireland could be neutral, that abortion was Ireland’s business and that powers of direct taxation remained with member states.

None of that had anything to do with what was in the Lisbon Treaty. But it was enough. In October 2009, in a second referendum on the Lisbon Treaty, held as the terrifying Irish property and bank crash was underway, the Irish voted Yes. The vote allowed the treaty to come into force across the EU.
MY PATRIOTISM HAS NEVER FULLY RECOVERED FROM THE HUMILIATION

Most of you believe that, if you get an In/Out referendum, and the Out vote wins, then – hurrah! – free at last. Don’t kid yourselves. This is where I stop speaking as someone from Brussels and start speaking as someone from Ireland. You need to remember that in the EU, a Yes vote is forever. A No vote is only ever temporary. Trust me on this one,
The EU has forced the Irish through this more than once. Therefore, it is naïve for any of you to think that, if you get a vote in a referendum to leave the EU, then that is the battle won. It is not. It is just the end of the phony war.

I am here to tell you today is that what was done to the Irish after they voted No to the Lisbon Treaty will be done to the British if they vote No to the EU in 2016. I’m going to give you details of how the Irish government and the EU elite worked together to overturn the democratic Irish rejection of the Lisbon Treaty. What they did to the Irish,the EU elite will do to the British.

If you were Irish, you would know the rest. The government will commission an opinion poll to find out what the British people ‘really ’meant by their vote. The government will use taxpayers’ money to pay a polling company to find out what the taxpayers meant when they voted to get Out of the EU. Which is itself outrageous. But the Irish government did exactly that. The Government in effect said to their own electorate: ‘You are far too stupid or reckless to be trusted with a ballot paper.’ Which is of course the attitude of the EU elite to voters, why they are squeezing democracy out of every part of the EU. The Irish government commissioned a poll after the Irish voters rejected the Lisbon Treaty. The Cowen Government said they wanted to find out the “real reason” the Irish people voted No to Lisbon. It was all of course just a way to find an excuse to run the referendum again.

British people can expect the same kind of fraud if they succeed in voting to leave the EU. They will be patronised, and frightened, by government insistence that they did not know what they were doing.

What you can do about it – well, that is up to you. You can either be disgraced as a nation, or you can fight.
Aug 29, 2019 1:52 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Reminds me a bit of what Hitler did with Hindenburg when he was Chancellor of Germany pre-WW2

Ah well, the whole Brexit situation has been a mess since forever now. Feels like no matter what they decide to do it's going to stay a mess so I honestly can't say what the best thing to do is anymore lol, if anything
Aug 29, 2019 2:51 AM

Jun 2016
You know, this could actually push us closer to a global recession. And this is going to make Brexit even more dicey.

Of course this also reminds me of our 35 fucking day Government shutdown.

The guy really is the Trump of the UK.
Aug 29, 2019 3:07 AM

Sep 2018
Vorpality said:
You know, this could actually push us closer to a global recession. And this is going to make Brexit even more dicey.

Of course this also reminds me of our 35 fucking day Government shutdown.

The guy really is the Trump of the UK.

Totally different, this is just a parliament shutdown, not a government one. Everything will carry on as normal.
This happens several times a year.
Aug 30, 2019 4:02 AM
Jul 2018
Funny how I've seen Brexiteers defend this by saying that there hasn't been a democracy for 3 years even though only a minoty of the leavers wanted a full blown 'no deal'. Kek.

Aug 30, 2019 6:03 AM

Sep 2018
We voted to leave, that was by any means necessary. There was no mention of deal or no deal on the form.

It was simply leave the EU or stay with it. Leave won and we have to leave despite the treacherous MPs throwing their toys.

They lost yet another judgment today saying the PM was allowed to shut down parliament. Pathetic.
Aug 30, 2019 6:25 AM
Jul 2018
QPR said:
We voted to leave, that was by any means necessary. There was no mention of deal or no deal on the form.

It was simply leave the EU or stay with it. Leave won and we have to leave despite the treacherous MPs throwing their toys.

They lost yet another judgment today saying the PM was allowed to shut down parliament. Pathetic.

Then they should have been more specific because a lot of people definitely want to go the 'no deal' route.

https://medium.com/@MrMichaelShaw/three-charts-that-sum-up-the-uks-craziness-right-now-91e456f196c5
Aug 30, 2019 6:34 AM

Sep 2018
It doesn't matter, leave means leave. Of course most people wanted a deal but that was never going to happen once the EU made it clear they were only interested in a punishment deal.

More than 99% of people are ignorant of what the EU wanted us to do in the "deal". One particular highlight is we must pay them a yearly fee of their choice forever in a "deal" we can never leave.
Sep 1, 2019 10:25 AM

Jun 2008
JUST DON’T DO IT!

First and foremost you should have NEVER allowed the public to even vote for this nonsense!

Too many people were outright DECEIVED by the “leave” portion of politicians.

But even if you did want to proceed...why didn’t you make it a 2/3 vote needed to leave or some other LARGE majority?!?

Only like 52% of the voters voted to leave....and AFTERWARDS...a good portion changed their minds!

The #1 search result in the UK the day after the vote was “what is Brexit?”

Again...a good portion of voters did not even know what the hell they were voting for!

UK...you fucked up...BIG!

Sep 5, 2019 9:24 AM
Jul 2018
Not a good start Boris!

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenSep 6, 2019 10:08 AM
Sep 5, 2019 11:09 AM

Jun 2008
UK was SOMEHOW able to create a more dysfunctional government than the U.S....with Trump as their leader.

Think about that.

I mean...WOW!

Good show UK...as an American, thanks for making me feel a tiny bit better about my Government.

Sep 6, 2019 1:08 AM

Sep 2018
The difference is Trump is in charge and makes them a laughing stock. In the UK it's the traitorous MPs refusing to accept the will of the people. We wouldn't be in this mess if Boris was the PM instead of May.

This has all been designed from the start, delay, delay, delay until everyone gets pissed off and then there will be a referendum to cancel it.

Hopefully Boris pulls if off and we leave in ~8 weeks time.

Just think about it, the opposition turned down the chance of an early election for the first time ever, their ratings are dropping despite this mess.
Sep 6, 2019 5:37 AM

Jul 2019
Aaaand electiosn are of the table...again...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49609677

So the oppistion wants to leech on a minority conservative gouvernment but shies away from any responsibility? I hope the EU denies any further extension.
Sep 6, 2019 11:10 AM
Jul 2018
Seygneur said:
Aaaand electiosn are of the table...again...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49609677

So the oppistion wants to leech on a minority conservative gouvernment but shies away from any responsibility? I hope the EU denies any further extension.

It's actually quite the smart move on Corbyn's part, a lot of Labour voters are even surprised that after years of acting like a fool he finally pulled of a good political move. According to the yougov polls labour only loses 2% if they manage to do elections after the 31st which is a really small price to pay to prevent a no-deal and help the British people.

EU will give an extension if the need arises no doubt. Macron will play the bad cop again but they'll give it because it would benefit them both.

Sep 6, 2019 12:38 PM

Dec 2008
Let's see here-we have the English equivalent of trump not getting his way and then having a temper tantrum. SHIT!!
Life Is Short But Intense.
Sep 6, 2019 7:48 PM

Mar 2008
If Brexit goes through without replacing the EU with basically the same advantages it had in it Scotland will try to leave the UK. I've said this years ago and as time passes the more likely it seems it's possible.
Sep 7, 2019 1:04 AM

Sep 2018
zrdb said:
Let's see here-we have the English equivalent of trump not getting his way and then having a temper tantrum. SHIT!!

Not really, the temper tantrums are the MPS going against the will of the British people. the PM is the one trying to get the result of the referendum done.
Sep 7, 2019 1:06 AM

Sep 2018
traed said:
If Brexit goes through without replacing the EU with basically the same advantages it had in it Scotland will try to leave the UK. I've said this years ago and as time passes the more likely it seems it's possible.

The jocks learned from the EU, keep people voting until they deliver the result you want. No wonder they'd want to run back to them. I would love to see them do it because they would be bankrupt in 5 years, their whole economy was based on oil and the prices have dropped.
Sep 7, 2019 1:33 AM

May 2013
Seems like the only possible strat.

Parliament really doesn't want Brexit despite the wishes of the general public.
Sep 7, 2019 1:52 AM

Sep 2018
Pxi2 said:
Seems like the only possible strat.

Parliament really doesn't want Brexit despite the wishes of the general public.

Exactly and somehow people are blaming the PM when he's the only one who's stood up for the people. He's even going to refuse a court order to beg the EU if they get one.
Sep 7, 2019 6:03 AM

Mar 2008
QPR said:
traed said:

The jocks learned from the EU, keep people voting until they deliver the result you want. No wonder they'd want to run back to them. I would love to see them do it because they would be bankrupt in 5 years, their whole economy was based on oil and the prices have dropped.

Scotland still makes up a decent size of the UKs total GDP and has a GDP per capita higher than the UK minus Scotland and only a little less than England but more than Wales and Northern Ireland. It could stand on it's own but it won't be totally alone it will be a EU member. Keep on laughing because after Scotish independence Irish reunification could possibly follow then it's just England and Wales left in the UK and Great Britain wouldn't be so great anymore either..
Sep 7, 2019 7:54 AM

Sep 2018
I am fine with that as England subsidises the jocks, NI and Wales leaving us with less to spend on ourselves, remove the leeches and we are better off.

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN04033
Spending in England -3%
Scotland +16%
Wales +11%
NI +20%
Sep 9, 2019 5:12 PM

Dec 2008
QPR said:
zrdb said:

Not really, the temper tantrums are the MPS going against the will of the British people. the PM is the one trying to get the result of the referendum done.

Not really-it's the same in either case-an adult child having a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way.
Life Is Short But Intense.
Sep 10, 2019 12:09 AM

Sep 2018
[quote=zrdb message=58342274]
QPR said:

Not really-it's the same in either case-an adult child having a temper tantrum because he didn't get his way.

It's not his way, it is the way of the people, you know what we voted for. I see the speaker has been offered a job at the EU for helping to stop Brexit. Shows you how they work. I bet May gets one too.
Sep 12, 2019 4:04 AM

Sep 2018
An update, English and NI courts have said the suspension of parliament was lawful but the jocks said it wasn't. The remoaners have ignored the 2-1 verdict against them and have demanded parliament reconvene.

The losers ignoring the result, sound a bit familiar?

Any way the top court in England will decide soon which will overrule all the rest.
Sep 12, 2019 1:21 PM

Sep 2012
BUT WE SHOULD VOOOOTE AGAAAAAAAAAAAAIN
RAPE DEMOCRACY
LET'S JUST VOTE AGAAAAAAAIN
LET'S VOTE UNTIL WE GET THE DECISION I WANT

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Sep 13, 2019 1:05 AM

Apr 2012
QPR said:
Good news, I love the hypocrites trying to say this is tainting democracy as they are trying to overthrow a democratic referendum!

He wouldn't have had to do this if those MPs would just accept the will of the people.

It's telling how in order to support The Liar Johnson in this, you have to indulge the most incredible blithering idiocy.

First off, if the referendum had actually been binding on Parliament, then it would actually be null and void by now thanks to the breaking of electoral rules by the leave campaign, it's only the fact that it's advisory which means there's nothing to nullify.

But 'overthrow'? There was nothing about the date of 31st October 2019 in that referendum, and you know it. It's the most staggering dishonesty to pretend otherwise. Parliament is acting to prevent no deal. There was nothing in the referendum campaign about a no deal Brexit. It's the sort of thing the leave campaign was promising wouldn't happen. The ERG are using a fairly moderate result in order to justify extreme measures. Parliament is trying to hold the leave campaign to at least some of their promises. (The ones which are possible, rather than the things leave just lied about.)

And the will of the people is to remain. It's changed since 2016. 52% has become 46%, since at least a few people have actually realised they were conned. A narrow lead based on illegal campaigning melts away so easily.

If you thought it was still the will of the people, then you wouldn't fear a second referendum. Anyone who goes on about "the will of the people" and opposes having that will tested on an actual, concrete proposal for what will happen is dishonest.

When in the referendum debate did project leave include people dying from medicine shortages in their proposal? Well? You're persisting with this nonsense even if it's going to kill people.
logopolisSep 13, 2019 1:11 AM
Sep 13, 2019 2:26 AM

Sep 2018
The only people conned were the remaoners, WWIII, emergency budget, recession, pound crash. None of these things happened.

The question was leave or remain, the remoaners are going against the people and democracy by trying to prevent us leaving.

There was the traitor Mays "deal" which included all EU officials being exempt from all UK law, we pay them a yearly fee of their choosing, they still fish in our waters but we can't fish in theirs, we still had to abide by all their law and the best for last, we can never leave or cancel the deal at any point and a whole bunch of ludicrous clauses..

The whole thing was a setup from the start and I have said from the start they will never let us leave. The people revealing things like yellowhammer are traitor sabotaging the UKs negotiating position so we cannot get an acceptable deal.

So the only thing left is no deal. Leave, which was on the referendum card.

Anyone who says the opposite is just a loser who cannot accept losing. I applaud the remainers who voted remain but think we should honour the result, the rest of you should hang you heads in shame. The next time this happens, they might go against something you feel strongly about, like human rights,worker right or environmental protection.
Sep 14, 2019 1:30 AM

Apr 2012
QPR said:
The only people conned were the remaoners, WWIII, emergency budget, recession, pound crash. None of these things happened.

As someone who is going abroad next month, I know very well that the pound has crashed. We're almost in a recession. The remain campaign did not predict WWIII, that is a lie. The consequences of an immediate invocation of article 50 only didn't happen because Cameron didn't immediately invoke article 50.

The question was leave or remain, the remoaners are going against the people and democracy by trying to prevent us leaving.

Only a third of the population are satisfied with no deal. Two thirds of the population is the people. It's trying to prevent a vote on the actual deal because you know very well that you'd lose it which is going against democracy. Inflicting a catastrophe which nobody voted for and giving the people no option to vote against it.

The trouble with the referendum is that there are lots of different ways of leaving, and the question did not specify which one. "Slightly more than half of us don't want to be here" is not a democratic mandate to go to any specific one of a hundred possible other locations. Particularly one where your legs get bitten off.

The whole thing was a setup from the start and I have said from the start they will never let us leave.

The only conspiracy is the one convincing people that leaving isn't a crazy idea. What you're seeing is that inconvenient thing called 'reality' popping up.

The people revealing things like yellowhammer are traitor sabotaging the UKs negotiating position so we cannot get an acceptable deal.

Insane. The EU can work the likely consequences out for themselves, they don't need the UK government to tell them the obvious. And Johnson isn't even negotiating with them in the first place. What Yellowhammer does is make it harder for anti-democratic extremists like you to lie to the British people about what you are trying to do to them.

So the only thing left is no deal. Leave, which was on the referendum card.

If you really just want to leave, then the Norway option would work perfectly well. It would not trouble Britain's legal responsibilities towards Ireland regarding the Good Friday agreement and peace in Northern Ireland which the whole backstop was about, and it wouldn't cause economic devastation either.

But it makes it obvious that EU membership was actually the best deal. So you'd rather kill people for your delusions.

Anyone who says the opposite is just a loser who cannot accept losing.

So someone who is going to die because they can't get their medicine should just say "OK, nobody voted to kill me, but please do"? You cannot recognise trying to save lives as a motivation?
logopolisSep 14, 2019 1:40 AM
Sep 14, 2019 3:53 AM

Sep 2018
The leave group have been cleared by the police, yet another project fear lie. Get it through your head, deal or no deal wasn't on the referendum, that doesn't matter, the people voted leave.

https://order-order.com/2019/09/13/police-conclude-leave-eu-campaign-not-break-law-2016-referendum/

The mental gymnastics is amazing, I am anti democtratic for want the result of a referendum to be honoured but you aren't despite your side doing everything they can to stop it? Amazing.

There is no chance of a Norway deal or any good deal, the EU want a punishment deal.
Here are some parts of Mays deal and its why I consider her a traitor.

From the offset, we should note that this is an EU text, not a UK or international text. This has one source. The Brexit agreement is written in Brussels.
May says her deal means the UK leaves the EU next March. The Withdrawal Agreement makes a mockery of this. “All references to Member States and competent authorities of Member States…shall be read as including the United Kingdom.” (Art 6). Not quite what most people understand by Brexit. It goes on to spell out that the UK will be in the EU but without any MEPs, a commissioner or ECJ judges. We are effectively a Member State, but we are excused – or, more accurately, excluded – from attending summits. (Article 7)

The European Court of Justice is decreed to be our highest court, governing the entire Agreement – Art. 4. stipulates that both citizens and resident companies can use it. Art 4.2 orders our courts to recognise this. “If the European Commission considers that the United Kingdom has failed to fulfil an obligation under the Treaties or under Part Four of this Agreement before the end of the transition period, the European Commission may, within 4 years after the end of the transition period, bring the matter before the Court of Justice of the European Union”. (Art. 87)

The jurisdiction of the ECJ will last until eight years after the end of the transition period. (Article 158).

The UK will still be bound by any future changes to EU law in which it will have no say, not to mention having to comply with current law. (Article 6(2))

Any disputes under the Agreement will be decided by EU law only – one of the most dangerous provisions. (Article 168). This cuts the UK off from International Law, something we’d never do with any foreign body. Arbitration will be governed by the existing procedural rules of the EU law – this is not arbitration as we would commonly understand it (i.e. between two independent parties). (Article 174)

“UNDERLINING that this Agreement is founded on an overall balance of benefits, rights and obligations for the Union and the United Kingdom” No, it should be based upon the binding legal obligations upon the EU contained within Article 50. It is wrong to suggest otherwise.

The tampon tax clause: We obey EU laws on VAT, with no chance of losing the tampon tax even if we agree a better deal in December 2020 because we hereby agree to obey other EU VAT rules for **five years** after the transition period. Current EU rules prohibit 0-rated VAT on products (like tampons) that did not have such exemptions before the country joined the EU.

Several problems with the EU’s definitions: “Union law” is too widely defined and “United Kingdom national” is defined by the Lisbon Treaty: we should given away our right to define our citizens. The “goods” and the term “services” we are promised the deal are not defined – or, rather, will be defined however the EU wishes them to be. Thus far, this a non-defined term so far. This agreement fails to define it.

The Mandelson Pension Clause: The UK must promise never to tax former EU officials based here – such as Peter Mandelson or Neil Kinnock – on their E.U. pensions, or tax any current Brussels bureaucrats on their salaries. The EU and its employees are to be immune to our tax laws. (Article 104)
Furthermore, the UK agrees not to prosecute EU employees who are, or who might be deemed in future, criminals (Art.101)

The GDPR clause. The General Data Protection Regulation – the EU’s stupidest law ever? – is to be bound into UK law (Articles 71 to 73). There had been an expectation in some quarters that the UK could get out of it.

The UK establishes a ‘Joint Committee’ with EU representatives to guarantee ‘the implementation and application of this Agreement’. This does not sound like a withdrawal agreement – if it was, why would it need to be subject to continued monitoring? (Article 164). This Joint Committee will have subcommittees with jurisdiction over: (a) citizens’ rights; (b) “other separation provisions”; (c) Ireland/Northern Ireland; (d) Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus; (e) Gibraltar; and (f) financial provisions. (Article 165)

The Lifetime clause: the agreement will last as long as the country’s youngest baby lives. “the persons covered by this Part shall enjoy the rights provided for in the relevant Titles of this Part for their lifetime”. (Article 39).

The UK is shut out of all EU networks and databases for security – yet no such provision exists to shut the EU out of ours. (Article 8)

The UK will tied to EU foreign policy, “bound by the obligations stemming from the international agreements concluded by the Union” but unable to influence such decisions. (Article 124)

All EU citizens must be given permanent right of residence after five years – but what counts as residence? This will be decided by the EU, rather than UK rules. (Articles 15-16)

Britain is granted the power to send a civil servant to Brussels to watch them pass stupid laws which will hurt our economy. (Article 34)

The UK agrees to spend taxpayers’ money telling everyone how wonderful the agreement is. (Article 37)

Art 40 defines Goods. It seems to includes Services and Agriculture. We may come to discover that actually ‘goods’ means everything.

Articles 40-49 practically mandate the UK’s ongoing membership of the Customs Union in all but name.

The UK will be charged to receive the data/information we need in order to comply with EU law. (Article 50)

The EU will continue to set rules for UK intellectual property law (Article 54 to 61)

The UK will effectively be bound by a non-disclosure agreement swearing us to secrecy regarding any EU developments we have paid to be part. This is not mutual. The EU is not bound by such measures. (Article 74)

The UK is bound by EU rules on procurement rules – which effectively forbids us from seeking better deals elsewhere. (Articles 75 to 78)

We give up all rights to any data the EU made with our money (Art. 103)

The EU decide capital projects (too broadly defined) the UK is liable for. (Art. 144)

The UK is bound by EU state aid laws until future agreement – even in the event of an agreement, this must wait four years to be valid. (Article 93)

Similar advantages and immunities are extended to all former MEPs and to former EU official more generally. (Articles 106-116)

The UK is forbidden from revealing anything the EU told us or tells us about the finer points of deal and its operation. (Article 105).

Any powers the UK parliament might have had to mitigate EU law are officially removed. (Article 128)

The UK shall be liable for any “outstanding commitments” after 2022 (Article 142(2) expressly mentions pensions, which gives us an idea as to who probably negotiated this). The amount owed will be calculated by the EU. (Articles 140-142)

The UK will be liable for future EU lending. As anyone familiar with the EU’s financials knows, this is not good. (Article143)

The UK will remain liable for capital projects approved by the European Investment Bank. (Article 150).

The UK will remain a ‘party’ (i.e. cough up money) for the European Development Fund. (Articles 152-154)

And the EU continues to calculate how much money the UK should pay it. So thank goodness Brussels does not have any accountancy issues.
The UK will remain bound (i.e coughing up money) to the European Union Emergency Trust Fund – which deals with irregular migration (i.e. refugees) and displaced persons heading to Europe. (Article 155)

The agreement will be policed by ‘the Authority’ – a new UK-based body with ‘powers equivalent to those of the European Commission’. (Article 159)

The EU admits, in Art. 184, that it is in breach of Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty which oblige it to “conclude an agreement” of the terms of UK leaving the EU. We must now, it seems, “negotiate expeditiously the agreements governing their future relationship.” And if the EU does not? We settle down to this Agreement.
And, of course, the UK will agree to pay

£40bn to receive all of these ‘privileges’. (Article 138)

This is why we need to leave with no deal. Only then will they negotiate. Remember these are the people you want to go running back to begging to stay again.

The last line or your post, more project fear, not one single part of it has come true.

Sep 14, 2019 10:28 AM

Apr 2012
"Plunging the country into a crisis strengthens our negotiating position". From the mind of a Brexiteer.
Sep 15, 2019 12:49 AM

Sep 2018
I see you have given up defending your position now, it was inevitable. No one can argue with that last post.

There is no crisis, only in the minds of project fear and the idiots who believe it.
Sep 15, 2019 1:07 AM

Oct 2009
logopolis said:
As someone who is going abroad next month, I know very well that the pound has crashed. We're almost in a recession.

The GBP started crashing before the Brexit vote in 2016.

The dumping of the GBP continued after the Bank of England implemented its "emergency measures" of committing to 70 billion pounds of QE and pushing the interest rates to historic lows. AKA it's more or less the same easy money policy perpetrated by most central banks around the world that have decimated their country's fiat currency value over the years, except this time to a greater degree.

The economic situation is shaky across the world, not just in the UK. But guess who's most at risk of entering recession among major economies? It's none other than your beloved EU. UK would be far better off economically if they can abandon that sinking ship known as the EU. The ECB cannot delay the inevitable forever - no central bank can, but like I said before EU is in dire straits compared to the U.S. for example.

logopolis said:

So someone who is going to die because they can't get their medicine should just say "OK, nobody voted to kill me, but please do"? You cannot recognise trying to save lives as a motivation?

Hasn't the government stated that there will be no medicine shortage?
RandomChampionSep 15, 2019 1:11 AM
Sep 15, 2019 7:55 AM

Apr 2012
QPR said:
I see you have given up defending your position now, it was inevitable. No one can argue with that last post.

Believe that if you want, that someone would even want to read that post.

RandomChampion said:

They're lying. Their own reports confirm it, but they just lie about the contents.
Sep 15, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2011
Still funny to read about this, sorry.
The notion a no deal is what UK want so later you can do trade deals with the EU would leave the EU open to being double dipped is humorous--essentially its saying we want no deal, so later argue unfair trading practices against the EU, cause the UK knows the organization won't want to deal with them afterwards really opens the EU to legal repercussions is slick. This deal/no deal doesn't phase them, it afterwards they have more concern over.
It's like proposing "we're honest folks that want to strike it out on our own (no deal), but will use underhanded techniques later to get what we want (global trading laws)". If that didn't make sense, refer to a previous Brexit thread to understand the full message. Whatever the choice the UK doesn't come out the small guy vs a Goliath as they like to illustrate.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 15, 2019 1:34 PM

Sep 2012
logopolis said:
QPR said:

Believe that if you want, that someone would even want to read that post.

RandomChampion said:

They're lying. Their own reports confirm it, but they just lie about the contents.

well i read it, so now what?

Silverstorm said:
Still funny to read about this, sorry.
The notion a no deal is what UK want so later you can do trade deals with the EU would leave the EU open to being double dipped is humorous--essentially its saying we want no deal, so later argue unfair trading practices against the EU, cause the UK knows the organization won't want to deal with them afterwards really opens the EU to legal repercussions is slick. This deal/no deal doesn't phase them, it afterwards they have more concern over.
It's like proposing "we're honest folks that want to strike it out on our own (no deal), but will use underhanded techniques later to get what we want (global trading laws)". If that didn't make sense, refer to a previous Brexit thread to understand the full message. Whatever the choice the UK doesn't come out the small guy vs a Goliath as they like to illustrate.
lol

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.