Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 19, 2019 9:57 PM
Aug 2016
NANI! Well, I've watched only 3 episodes and I am an anime-only watcher. I've read many forum discussions here particular to this anime and I agree that there are a lot of fallacious errors. But it seems that people unanimously agree to one thing that the premise is very interesting. What I don't understand is 2 things:

1. Why is it so underrated? I mean 7.6 is too low. As per how the story progressed so far, I think it should at least be somewhere around 7.75-7.8

2. Many people also seem to have problems with the personalities of the characters. What do you think is so one-dimensional about them? Personally, I feel that every character has his or her own motivation and until that motivation is revealed, they feel kind of bland. But once revealed, I start liking them.
KoustubhAug 26, 2019 9:08 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 19, 2019 10:02 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
I think the most general sentiment about Astra from what I've seen is that the premise and setting is very interesting buuuut the actual writing and execution leaves a lot to be desired. There are just too many illogical or improbable plot elements and just general oversights in the story that keeps bothering people when watching it

I still enjoy it though just because I find the idea of space exploration to be quite fascinating but I was really hoping it'd amount to more than what it is. It kinda feels like the author had a good original idea when coming up the scenario for the series, but they didn't actually research much of its plot elements properly
Aug 19, 2019 11:52 PM
Aug 2016
HaXXspetten said:
I think the most general sentiment about Astra from what I've seen is that the premise and setting is very interesting buuuut the actual writing and execution leaves a lot to be desired. There are just too many illogical or improbable plot elements and just general oversights in the story that keeps bothering people when watching it

I still enjoy it though just because I find the idea of space exploration to be quite fascinating but I was really hoping it'd amount to more than what it is. It kinda feels like the author had a good original idea when coming up the scenario for the series, but they didn't actually research much of its plot elements properly

Exactly, I totally agree with you. Despite such errors, I've still given it a 9 because I am genuinely loving it.
Aug 20, 2019 7:31 AM
Oct 2018
In my opinion, 7.6 isnt that bad for this season standard. That because poeple trend to give high score on hyped anime in this season (eg. vinland, fire force, and arifureta). Meanwhile, non-hyped anime (eg. kanata, machikado, and accel) just 7.3-7.6 despite had better adaptation than most hyped anime in this season.

Kanata astra is not bad. I love its first eps, one of best eps 1 in this season. So far isnt that bad. But I worried about how this anime ended.

Source material conclusion little bit weird for me which reduce my interest in this anime. But overall, this anime deserve top 7 anime of this season.
Aug 21, 2019 9:29 AM

Feb 2016
Higly Underrated? 7.6 is quite a bit too high for a show like this, it deserves way lower than that. This anime is way too convenient, inconsistent and has been going downhill since episode 3. It had such a strong start but i'ts been getting worse each week.

I don't really want to sound edgy, but no one has died yet and that makes this whole survival thing a joke considering how easy their situation looks, even the last planet they were in (as in ep 7 and 8) which anagram is "Crisis" has barely shown any dangerous situation.
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Aug 21, 2019 9:37 AM

Dec 2015
Not (highly) underrated. It is higher than 7. Has a lot of comedy that feels out of place - destroying the good atmosphere they could have when focusing on the main plot.
Aug 21, 2019 10:34 AM

Dec 2014
IMO, the plots around the character is good but this is also about space travel and exploration.

If you don't see the character development, there is actually nothing else to offer.

The space, the planet, the flora and fauna don't give me anything special about them.
But if above environmental development is implemented well, this could be a long series where it might be out of their budget.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Aug 21, 2019 10:42 AM

Apr 2016
It has a good rating. The people who voted it aren’t to much but despite this it has a good score.
Aug 21, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2015
I think the score is fine. Compare is to Shounen shows which are always scored too high but are generally shit.
Aug 21, 2019 11:06 AM

Feb 2013
who the fucking cares about it
Aug 21, 2019 11:28 AM

Jun 2017
Imagine there's a difference between 7.60 and 7.8 in MAL
Aug 21, 2019 11:49 AM
Mar 2019
It's definitely not underrated

The story is good on paper, but the execution is just so lame, it's basically: teens go to a planet on which there are generally 2 or 3 living species if we don't count the trees giving fruits (that's ridiculously low and makes the exploration side so simple), then there's a problem on the planet (Funi trapped on top of a tree, a sudden tsunami etc.), then there's character developpement for one of them (which is always the same btw: kid hated by parents, difficult past) and they come back to space with food and some chill/comedy sequences

The characters are bland, they can be described with one sentence each:
Kanata: Shonen mc = extrovert, a little dumb, but inspirational
Aries: Shonen main girl = naive, loves the hero, is friendly with everyone
Quitterie: Tsundere, just tsundere
Ulgar: Dark guy, rejects everyone but helps them, basically a friendship tsundere
Charce: Nice guy helping everybody
Zack: Serious guy who always helps the mc
Yun Hua: Introvert girl, always sitting in the corner
Funicia: Little girl, cute
Luca: extrovert, nice "guy" but also a trickster (maybe a little better than the others)
When any of the characters gets their developement, they basically become more introvert and more helpful to the hero

The plot is also kinda obvious with too much foreshadowing which makes later revelations kinda obvious (they hinted so many times that the characters were clones before revealing it) and there are so many elemnts that make the story simpler (device which says if the food is edible, spaceships which can divide into 3 parts and the crashed ship being the same model as Astra and having an intact reactor etc.)
Aug 21, 2019 7:33 PM

Dec 2015
Yeah but honestly MAL scoring doesn't mean shit. If you like the show then continue liking it, don't let some bullshit score change your mind. I know I like Astra a lot and would not hesitate to give it a 9.
Aug 21, 2019 7:36 PM

Apr 2011
I'm personally enjoying this anime a lot, it's in second place this season after Vinland.

I think there are many reasons for KnA to be so underrated:
1- Looks a bit dull in the main picture (I didn't even notice this anime before episode 4 was out).
2- Not everyone enjoys sci-fi and there are actual people who force themselves to watch it because it's seasonal and they made themselves watch it even though they disliked it from the very beginning.
3- Very typical characters as the comment above mine explains, I personally think it's cannon to have the same ''types'' of characters, even the most popular shows have them but they are ''blinded'' by other things happening in the anime. For example Fire Brigade, most people are so picked on the action that they don't even notice how bland the characters are. Since KnA has a chill tempo, nothing going on too "fast", and since it focus much more in the cinematographic aspect, people who enjoy more action-oriented stuff will pick on something.

I think it's sad that this anime is so underrated compared to others that are currently airing, but in same sense it's obvious that general opinion will ofc always win the rating system. The most popular shows are Action, Comedy and Shounen, so taking that in mind, KnA is not everybody's liking. For exemple, Enen no Shouboutai for me is horrendous but someone who enjoys something more radical will obviously differ of my oppinion and dislike this show and ofc, rate it low.

Overall, it's indifferent how the rate is now, maybe in the future it will get higher, maybe not, what matters is that you enjoy it and so do I! ^^

PS: I hope not to offend, It's just my oppinion on something and I'm not criticizing personal taste.
NyandaAug 21, 2019 7:40 PM
Aug 21, 2019 8:25 PM

Apr 2019
because people have no taste

just look at the score of shield hero
its over 8 xD
should be under -5
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 21, 2019 9:12 PM

Dec 2016
Nyanda said:
I'm personally enjoying this anime a lot, it's in second place this season after Vinland.

I think there are many reasons for KnA to be so underrated:
1- Looks a bit dull in the main picture (I didn't even notice this anime before episode 4 was out).
2- Not everyone enjoys sci-fi and there are actual people who force themselves to watch it because it's seasonal and they made themselves watch it even though they disliked it from the very beginning.
3- Very typical characters as the comment above mine explains, I personally think it's cannon to have the same ''types'' of characters, even the most popular shows have them but they are ''blinded'' by other things happening in the anime. For example Fire Brigade, most people are so picked on the action that they don't even notice how bland the characters are. Since KnA has a chill tempo, nothing going on too "fast", and since it focus much more in the cinematographic aspect, people who enjoy more action-oriented stuff will pick on something.

I think it's sad that this anime is so underrated compared to others that are currently airing, but in same sense it's obvious that general opinion will ofc always win the rating system. The most popular shows are Action, Comedy and Shounen, so taking that in mind, KnA is not everybody's liking. For exemple, Enen no Shouboutai for me is horrendous but someone who enjoys something more radical will obviously differ of my oppinion and dislike this show and ofc, rate it low.

Overall, it's indifferent how the rate is now, maybe in the future it will get higher, maybe not, what matters is that you enjoy it and so do I! ^^

PS: I hope not to offend, It's just my oppinion on something and I'm not criticizing personal taste.

2.- Actually a lot of us who enjoy sci-fi are just appalled by the cheapness of the sci-fi elements in the show and how mostly everything is just set in the most convenient way. Magic spaceship that doesn't require maintance or refueling, it can enter at atmosphere with no shielding at high speed and won't even get a scratch, backup generator can be connected to the main engine using a regular electrical extension cord, magic food tester, and a bunch of other sci-fi bits.

3.- The character more than typical are direct archtypes of other characters we've seen before in dozens of series, mostly in battle shonen or other series aimed at teenagers. As you mention, other shows have something else to offer in order to deviate the attention from the viewer from reused characters, except in Kanata no Astra there isn't that "extra" aproach in order to deviate the so hard copy & paste stereotypical characters.

You mentioned Fire Force as some a lesser show that's all about style over substance and that somehow Kanata is more focused in cinematography, wich is completely absurd and just points out that you have no idea what cinematography stands for. Switching the aspect ratio doesn't immediately makes a title cinematographic, it's about using the aspect ratio and allowing the viewer to focus on particular parts of the whole picture, like focusing the flaming ankles of Shinra, Iris' burnt down photo, or Hibana's elaborate flower paterns to mention a few; none fo these focus aspects are used in Kanata at all. There are also the use of different planes, in Fire Force there are different shots from affar the same as close ups, medium shots and panoramic ones, along with the use of high contrasting shots with very strong colors, like red or black and fiery tones along the side. On the other hand in Kanata all shots are either medium shots or just close up shots and very few are actually panoramic in a show where the vast variety of ecosystems are the highlight of a space title. There's nothing interesting in the slow paned shots in kanata, where Fire Force uses the full advantage of animation to make the camera shots rotate in some of the high action scenes, giving depth to the enviroment along. So yeah, Fire Force does know how to use to it's fullest cinematography elements like shots, planes, transitions and angles, where in comparisson Kanata uses the most basic ones with black bars on top and bottom of the screen to make it look profesional to the ignorants.

Fire Force does indeed have quite cliched characters starting with Shinra the hero wannabe. The big difference with Kanata is that Fire Force has a lot of room for it's cast to grow, with at least 24 episodes with the first season and it might get more seasons afterwards, where Kanata only has 12 episodes and the whole story will be finished, and by now with the 8th episode, the characters have had just cheesy epiphany or revelation that should make the character grow, but it only does it on the outside for a brief moment, and after that moment is gone, the character goes back to it's same self wich it was preesented since episode 1, for instance, Kanata will remain the dumbass leader, Quittery will be the toxic tsundere, Zac will remain as the know it all guy, and so on.

You also claim that Kanata has such a chill tempo, nothing goes too fast, and that's absurd. They are going with one episode for each planet, and that shaves a lot of explanation on the flora and fauna of each ecosystem, like for instance the planet ruled by fungi, lacked a lot of sense in it's overlords functions and all of that was just explained with a huge rant by Charce in the last minute with nothing to sustain his hypotesis other than mere observation, no actual analysis or disection of specimens.
Aug 23, 2019 4:59 AM

Mar 2014
caio_brb said:
who the fucking cares about it

Most of the MAL community as always.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Aug 25, 2019 2:53 PM

Mar 2012
Koustubh said:
HaXXspetten said:

Exactly, I totally agree with you. Despite such errors, I've still given it a 9 because I am genuinely loving it.

Same as you. I give a 6 but it's because of my schedule. For me (as MAL graduation) 6 is fine.
It's pretty interresting because of the space theme, and it's pleasant to watch but there is few problems (pacing, visuals, monolithic (but not that bad) characters).
Aug 26, 2019 8:31 AM

Sep 2017
It could have been an excellent thriller / mystery anime with a lot of tension and suspense, but the characters are way too bland and absolutely don't fit the atmosphere I wanted

The anime is still enjoyable, but I see it as "a friendly adventure in space, with sometimes a bit of mystery, unecessary plot twists and forced drama"
Aug 27, 2019 5:23 AM

Apr 2015
From what I've seen so far I'd argue the opposite tbh.

It's trying to be a compelling SF adventure which explores serious themes and character dramas while using certain light hearted elements to make it digestible in anime and drive some attention away from the adventure side to the characters themselves, perhaps in order to accentuate the impact of the characters' fate and sidestory reveals; but they end up working against each other and destroys the credibility of the show. It also has some tantalisingly dull camera work and script which neither excites the viewer nor creates a relaxing atmosphere. Some more great points on this thread.
Aug 27, 2019 7:21 AM

Aug 2017
Kanata no Astra is just wasted potential. It could be great but the execution leaves a lot to be desired.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 27, 2019 3:36 PM

Aug 2013
>people still cares about the scores
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Aug 27, 2019 11:29 PM
Apr 2019
You really can't trust MAL scores anyways, they have this and fire force in 7's while trash like vinland saga gets 8.5+
Aug 28, 2019 2:06 AM
Jun 2019
elementex said:
You really can't trust MAL scores anyways, they have this and fire force in 7's while trash like vinland saga gets 8.5+

Yeah, and you rated several severely flawed shows like Isekai Cheat Magician and Kenja no Mago 10/10.
Aug 28, 2019 11:45 AM

Dec 2014
I wonder if they have budget for this anime, what would this come out.

Of course if the original manga was that great to begin with.
Signature removed. Check your inbox
Aug 28, 2019 1:10 PM

Apr 2014
Ugh, you mean highly overrated..
Aug 28, 2019 7:11 PM

Dec 2015
aLotQuestion_ said:
I wonder if they have budget for this anime, what would this come out.

Of course if the original manga was that great to begin with.

What do you mean? the art style looks a bit odd, but it never gave me the impression of a low budget show.
Aug 28, 2019 9:36 PM

Jul 2012
Once it finishes airing, the score will rise, I can guarantee it lol.

I don't think KnA is most Anime watcher's cup of tea, tbh. It's mine but my taste is for these kind of weird space, psychological shows.
Aug 29, 2019 6:55 AM
Jan 2018
been debating to watch this or not
Aug 29, 2019 3:16 PM

May 2016
The story is great, the execution (pacing, direction) is terrible. Soundtrack is mediocre. It will be difficult to give a final score at the end... It will be around 6/10...

So it overrated, if I take its current score on MAL.
-
Aug 29, 2019 7:14 PM

May 2009
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Threads about ranking and/or scores just encourage flame wars between people who liked the show and people who disliked it. They don't promote any kind of actual discussion.

You may also use this thread if you want to talk about overrated/underrated anime.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

202 by DebiPS »»
Apr 18, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

347 by naturalbrawler »»
Mar 20, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

168 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.