Forum Settings
Forums

Characters that earned the love of people just by existing

New
Aug 25, 2019 2:40 PM

Oct 2018
The first character that comes to my mind is of course Nezuko from Kimetsu no Yaiba, and no one can deny that she's loved by everyone, even though she barely does anything, she's just basically existing(sure she does some quite adorable things and helps in fights sometimes, but still)

Can you mention any other characters who are similarly loved even though they don't do much in the anime?
-Aincrad-Aug 26, 2019 7:53 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 25, 2019 2:45 PM
Aug 2018
I think Speedwagon from Jojo´s is the clearest example of what you are saying
Aug 25, 2019 2:46 PM

Jul 2013
Speedwagon from JoJo. He sucks at fighting (against strong opponents at least, he lead a gang of thugs at the beginning of the series, so he at least could hold his own against common humans), spends the 90% of his screentime commenting the battles he's watching while being scared of nearly everything, and barely does nothing during the series. It's safe to say that
Yet, Jojo fans love him and claim Speedwagon to be the best waifu of the series, which it is strange, as the kind of characters like him tend to not be very liked, especially in shounens.

That being said, I like Speedwagon myself.
Aug 25, 2019 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
Asuna from Sao, barely does anything other than making sandwiches for Kirito

Also Emilia from Re;Zero
Aug 25, 2019 2:56 PM

Jul 2017
I'm inclined to say Filo from Shield Hero, because if it wasn't for her loli nature and occasional kick to Motoyasu's nuts, she's pretty darn annoying most of the time
Aug 25, 2019 3:05 PM

Dec 2016
Mayushi from Steins; Gate. The only thing she does is loving Okabe and crying tuturu and that's why people love her.
Aug 25, 2019 3:23 PM

May 2014
Hmm maybe Levi from Attack on Titan.

I just checked and wow. I had no idea he was in the top 10 characters on MAL. Just for existing and being pretty cool at slashing titans. Not that that's a problem.
Aug 25, 2019 3:37 PM
Feb 2017
laviha said:

Also Emilia from Re;Zero

That's 2 big no's for me, chief.

fancyjasper said:

I just checked and wow. I had no idea he was in the top 10 characters on MAL. Just for existing and being pretty cool at slashing titans. Not that that's a problem.

Well that is what Levi's character is about, being cool. Although I don't think he would be as highly rated nowadays if AoT came out, since his and Misaka's favorites are just from the hype that was the first season.
Aug 25, 2019 3:41 PM

Mar 2016
killua

it's impossible to watch hxh and not like him

Aug 25, 2019 3:45 PM

Jan 2019
girlslove said:
killua

killua is my least favorite of the main quartet
Aug 25, 2019 3:51 PM

Apr 2017
girlslove said:
killua

lmao I actually dislike him pretty much.

In some moments is a good and wholesome kid, in other is just an annoying edgy brat
Aug 25, 2019 3:53 PM

Jun 2015
Froppy from BnH. I swear, 90% of the reason people must like her is because of her design.
Aug 25, 2019 5:02 PM

Jul 2017
emilia does nothing in re:zero except be cute and talk to subura and she became one of the best waifus of the season
Aug 25, 2019 5:10 PM
May 2018
Hinata doesn't do much either but we like her because she isn't Sakura
Aug 25, 2019 5:13 PM

Jun 2016
BlakexEkalb said:
laviha said:

Also Emilia from Re;Zero

That's 2 big no's for me, chief.

fancyjasper said:

Well that is what Levi's character is about, being cool. Although I don't think he would be as highly rated nowadays if AoT came out, since his and Misaka's favorites are just from the hype that was the first season.

Thats funny considering he is top seven and fan keep increasing after each season. So your statement is wrong

Levi keep getting higher from season 1 to season 3 fan continue increasing.

Levi does not fits this question because he kill titan, do a lot stuffs and help protagonists from struggles many many times. I never see him does nothing and sit on his arse doing nothing.

He even admit he hates doing nothing if conflict happens. Levi should not be here. So this is very untrue
PrideRoyalIvyAug 25, 2019 5:23 PM

Aug 25, 2019 5:19 PM

Sep 2018
Your example of Nezuko is a very good one.

Other characters that just exist and don't do much, but are love are Mashiro Shiina from Pet Girl of Sakurosou, Emilia from re: Zero, Mumen Rider from One Punch Man, all of the K-On! Girls, and the list goes on
Blanks.
Aug 26, 2019 12:06 AM

Oct 2018
Aybid said:
Hinata doesn't do much either but we like her because she isn't Sakura

I actually don't like her
But I see a lot do, so I must be one of the very few ones who don't
Aug 26, 2019 12:21 AM

Apr 2019
Will Ryuk from Death Note count?
I mean he basically did nothing and enjoyed the most. Not loved exactly but pretty cool.
Aug 26, 2019 12:32 AM

Nov 2017
Pikachu.

Pikachu is your answer.

You can mark this thread as solved now.
Aug 26, 2019 12:37 AM
Jul 2018
Kotaro from Gakuen Babysitters and Mii-kun from How to Keep a Mummy are recent examples I can think of. Got everyone's adoration, including mine, just for being cute.

I'm also going to second Pikachu, and I'll also bring up Kuroneko-sama from Trigun. Not even a major character, she's literally just a cat that doesn't really do anything but meow and make cameos, but she's probably the third most merched character from the series. And speaking of black cats, Takkun (the cat) from FLCL probably is second to Haruko for having the most merch despite... not really doing anything and only appearing for a short time. People love kitties.
removed-userAug 26, 2019 12:44 AM
Aug 26, 2019 12:51 AM

Apr 2016
Hmmm... other than above

Doraemon, Totoro, ....

Maybe?
Aug 26, 2019 12:53 AM
Aug 2018
first thing that comes to my mind~nezuko
Oppai.
Aug 26, 2019 1:05 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Onodera Kosaki from Nisekoi is absolutely useless in every sense of the word yet apparently people considered her one of the best waifus ever at the time the series was still ongoing. Even though she's had several years on any of the other girls to get ahead, she's so shy that she's incapable of ever taking the first move regardless of the situation. As a result the only thing she ever does is sit around and blush, hoping that that's somehow going to solve all her problems, and somehow people adore her for it. I really don't understand it
Aug 26, 2019 1:16 AM

Jan 2019
Ferien said:
Mayushi from Steins; Gate. The only thing she does is loving Okabe and crying tuturu and that's why people love her.

have you seen steings gate? xdddd If you had to blame someone it would be Makise, who is your tipycall tsundere that came out of nowhere and somehow gets the love of the MC like senjogahara from monogatari...

Mayuri at least loved Okabe and admiered him and had known him since they were little

Aug 26, 2019 1:21 AM

Jan 2019
Levi is the anwer to ''Why battle shounen anime are so famous and loved despite they are 80% repetitive and unoriginal trash'' but made character, and that's just because they are epic and badass.

I'm a big fan of SnK but the fanbase around Levi sucks, you have a lot of great fucking characters, like eren (a lot of character development in the last saga) and reiner (also a lot of character development throughout the series and a lot of internal conflicts (stop calling him plot-armored titan and learn what character development is you fking dumbasses))
TheoPKTNSAug 26, 2019 10:34 AM

Aug 26, 2019 1:33 AM

Dec 2017
girlslove said:
killua

"Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaka"

Love him
Aug 26, 2019 1:56 AM

Mar 2015
Kanna from Dragon Maid comes to mind. All she does is being cute. She is very good at it though so I suppose it's not a surprise she's so popular.
Aug 26, 2019 3:59 AM

Aug 2019
TheoPKTNS said:
Levi is the anwer to ''Why battle shounen anime are so famous and loved despite they are 80% repetitive and unoriginal trash'' but made character, and that's just because they are epic and badass.

I'm a big fan of SnK but the fanbase aroung Levi sucks, you have a lot of great fucking characters, like eren (a lot of character development in the last saga) and reiner (also a lot of character development throughout the series and a lot of internal conflicts (stop calling it plot-armored titan and lear what character development is you fking dumbasses))

Completely agree. If you're a manga reader of the show, then you'll know that he isn't half as interesting, as complex a character than Eren, Zeke or Reiner are.
Aug 26, 2019 4:08 AM

Aug 2019
Kamui from Gintama. Love him at first sight even he hardly appears and do anything lol.
心配ない生活 なんてない
Aug 26, 2019 4:19 AM

Jan 2016
I think that every girl from Non Non Biyori counts.
Aug 26, 2019 4:37 AM

Aug 2018
Speedwagon. I know he technically created his foundation and helped the joestar bloodline quite a lot but he didnt do too much in the series itself to earn respect and most of his screentime is commenting on battles anyway.

I mean the love for him is kind of a meme by itself
Aug 26, 2019 4:43 AM
Feb 2019
I think levi from attack on titan is the answer
Aug 26, 2019 4:53 AM

Jan 2018
HaXXspetten said:
Onodera Kosaki from Nisekoi is absolutely useless in every sense of the word yet apparently people considered her one of the best waifus ever at the time the series was still ongoing. Even though she's had several years on any of the other girls to get ahead, she's so shy that she's incapable of ever taking the first move regardless of the situation. As a result the only thing she ever does is sit around and blush, hoping that that's somehow going to solve all her problems, and somehow people adore her for it. I really don't understand it

I beg to disagree if it's Kosaki Onodera in live action movie lol. I think the type of people that gets jealous because someone or even main character is flirting with her in anime is being discussed in this thread below. I'm also a sucker for shy girl

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1799049
Aug 26, 2019 4:58 AM

Feb 2015
BallisticRiot said:
Mumen Rider from One Punch Man

He delivered one of the most inspiring scenes in whole season 1, nearly getting himself killed in a fight against an opponent that he knew was far out of his league. I wouldn't say that he's loved for merely existing.
Aug 26, 2019 5:11 AM
Apr 2017
TheoPKTNS said:

I'm a big fan of SnK but the fanbase aroung Levi sucks, you have a lot of great fucking characters, like eren (a lot of character development in the last saga) and reiner (also a lot of character development throughout the series and a lot of internal conflicts (stop calling it plot-armored titan and lear what character development is you fking dumbasses))
Yeah no, up until s3p2 (which I haven't yet watched so I won't comment over) eren was by far and away (I'll underline that too) the most annoying character on the whole cast. The only things he stood out for were whining, complaining and self-deprecation. Granted, Armin had the most annoying role down perfectly for a good chunk of the series but at least he stopped his nonstop waaahhh I'm useless (which he was, but still) and started becoming decent. Eren kept his incessant whining ongoing for 3 whole seasons, I can easily understand why people flocked on the Levi side (which I don't really care for, one way or another), after having been beaten to death by eren's personality (or lack thereof).

Again, maybe there was this incredible character development in the last 10 episodes (which wouldn't automatically make him bearable anyway, but it'd be something different at least) but if anyone asked me "hey camp eren or camp levi" I'd go levi without a second's thought. As clichéed as he is, at least he drags his own weight without whinging like a 5 year old.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 26, 2019 5:18 AM

Jan 2019
Kurgo said:
TheoPKTNS said:

Yeah no, up until s3p2 (which I haven't yet watched so I won't comment over)

"I haven't even saw las seadon of the anime but I'm going to criticize you"

well done man

Go read the manga and you'll understand the masterpiece that snk is

Aug 26, 2019 6:20 AM
Jul 2018
Takumi Fujiwara from Initial D. He just drives the car and does manouvres
Aug 26, 2019 6:25 AM

Jul 2013
Nezuko: *literally does nothing*

The internet: HNNNNNNNNG

She's like a walking meme. The recent episode just spawned another meme of her (the smol Nezuko)
Aug 26, 2019 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
Not an anime character, but this guy popped into my mind as soon as I read the title of the thread.

Boba Fett from Star Wars, he has like, 5 lines in the whole franchise and yet everyone loves him lol
Aug 26, 2019 6:39 AM
Jul 2018
Why are so many mentioning Levi? He slays titans and saved Eren's ass so many times.
Aug 26, 2019 6:43 AM

May 2014
I don't love her, so it's disproven.
Aug 26, 2019 7:01 AM

Sep 2014
Takatin from Gintama. The guy appeared for like a couple of episodes and became a living legend.
Aug 26, 2019 7:09 AM

Jun 2015
Every arrogant, sadistic/dickhead character will be beloved by fangirls as long as he's hot, even if he gets very little development. It goes the other way around as well, now that I think about it lol, fanboys will swoon over underdeveloped (character-wise goddammit) or garbage-human hot girls as well
Aug 26, 2019 7:12 AM

Mar 2012
I'm amazed that people cannot differentiate between character role and personal hatred. Well not really amazed since this is MAL after all.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 26, 2019 7:29 AM
Jul 2019
levi from attack on titan
L from death note
lelouch from code geass
kamina from tengen toppa gurren lagann
kaneki from tokyo ghoul
natsu from fairy tail
Aug 26, 2019 10:22 AM

Apr 2019
laviha said:
Why are so many mentioning Levi? He slays titans and saved Eren's ass so many times.

Slay titans won't make you a good character ,he is like that because of his ackerman gene, Even mikasa is strong , but that don't denies that he is a boring character , he is nothing comparable to a way better and more interesing characters like Eren Reiner and Zeke , these characters are more complex and aren't just the cool cold badass strong repetitive guy in every series like levi .
Aug 26, 2019 10:38 AM
Jul 2018
ranzer said:
laviha said:

Slay titans won't make you a good character ,he is like that because of his ackerman gene, Even mikasa is strong , but that don't denies that he is a boring character , he is nothing comparable to a way better and more interesing characters like Eren Reiner and Zeke , these characters are more complex and aren't just the cool cold badass strong repetitive guy in every series like levi .

This thread is actually about characters that literally do nothing throughout the shows so even if Levi is generic badass strong character he's still doing something, the fighting.

The story is more plot driven than character driven so I don't care much about the complex characters or the others including Levi(idk maybe I do abt him)
Aug 26, 2019 10:39 AM

Jan 2019
Mirai said:
Kanna from Dragon Maid comes to mind. All she does is being cute. She is very good at it though so I suppose it's not a surprise she's so popular.

I love kanna and I have to admit that 60% of that love is because of her cuteness, but the other 40% is because she despite being a child cares about kobayashi (like when she wanted that rabit for his schoolbag) and also because of her relationship with kobayashi and tohru (at first she came to kill tohru [i think xd or at least something related with tohru] and hugely disliked kobayashi)

Aug 26, 2019 10:43 AM

Jan 2019
-Ereya- said:

5) Zero Two has sex appeal and looks like a badass. Otakus eat that shit up. There's nothing else to her. And nothing else to the anime to be honest. Only a few fanservice scenes with her or her going beserk.

I wish she went berserk on me lol

character limit

Aug 26, 2019 10:51 AM
Jan 2018
How about chopper from one piece
TheoPKTNS said:
Mirai said:

I love kanna and I have to admit that 60% of that love is because of her cuteness, but the other 40% is because she despite being a child cares about kobayashi (like when she wanted that rabit for his schoolbag) and also because of her relationship with kobayashi and tohru (at first she came to kill tohru [i think xd or at least something related with tohru] and hugely disliked kobayashi)

She came to get tohru to go back to thier world ..but ended up getting stuck there as well as she couldn't open a Portal back 🤣

But the truth was she got kicked out of her home due to a prank so she ended up living with Kobayashi
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think girl on girl (yuri / GL / shoujo ai) is hot?

Bakchos - Aug 15, 2019

44 by Zarutaku »»
38 seconds ago

» Do women also enjoy Yuri?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

16 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

68 by L0bsterman »»
6 minutes ago

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 53 minutes ago

14 by this_shit_again »»
10 minutes ago

» The most beautiful series in visual/artistic aspect? Share your opinion :)

windyshadow - 7 hours ago

22 by deg »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.