Forum Settings
Forums

anime tropes that lots of people hate but you love?

New
Aug 25, 2019 5:58 AM
Dec 2016
title’s pretty self-explanatory. i’ll start. not sure if it counts as a trope, but i LOVE cute boys. and by cute, i mean small, effeminate voice/features, innocent, pure-hearted, etc etc. i know a lot of people find them annoying and prefer the tall broody “hot” and most importantly Badass™ guys, and yeah i used to be more into those as well but now,,,,s h o t a s
Aug 25, 2019 6:00 AM

Jan 2013
Beach and hot spring episodes cause I get to see some fan service.
Aug 25, 2019 6:00 AM

Jun 2019
Head tilts.

Head tilts are my shit.

Fuckin' love head tilts, man.
Aug 25, 2019 6:01 AM

Jan 2018
Cheesy friendship tropes are my shit man.
A treasure the color of the rainbow, the color of happiness
Aug 25, 2019 6:06 AM

Oct 2018
I don’t mind main characters with some sort of amnesia as long as the writers of the show don’t pull the idea from out of their asses

Aug 25, 2019 6:12 AM

Jun 2015
FuriousNutSlaps said:
Head tilts.

Head tilts are my shit.

esspecially when they also saay EEEHHHHH!!!! while doing it
Aug 25, 2019 6:15 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
pretty much everything to do with sexualization of the girls
Aug 25, 2019 6:17 AM

Jan 2014
Tournament arc. They always gets me pumped up even if i know the mc will probably win anyway (Which is.....not much different from usual fight) and they usually breeds some cool rivals too
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 25, 2019 10:58 AM

Jun 2017
Power of friendship
ChaosSaviour said:
Tournament arc. They always gets me pumped up even if i know the mc will probably win anyway (Which is.....not much different from usual fight) and they usually breeds some cool rivals too
I don't see many people that hate tournament arcs tbh
Aug 25, 2019 11:00 AM

Jan 2009
power of friendship +1

we are social beings afterall and because im friendless in real life i crave for that shit more in fiction

also its about strength in numbers
Aug 25, 2019 11:02 AM

Apr 2015
Traps. Bonus points if they use their appearance to get a laugh out of characters.
Aug 25, 2019 11:04 AM

Jul 2017
Aug 25, 2019 11:05 AM

Apr 2019
Tournament arcs are awesome. I dunno I find them cool to watch people display their abilities just as long as it isn't like 30 eps long
Aug 25, 2019 11:08 AM

Feb 2010
Like every single battle shounen trope, including the power of friendship.
I probably regret this post by now.
Aug 25, 2019 11:09 AM
Jul 2018
Male tsunderes! I love em. Don't mind female tsunderes either.
Aug 25, 2019 11:19 AM

Sep 2014
huge tits and the stupid sound they make in anime, it's silly but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

power of friendship is also something I often enjoy
Aug 25, 2019 11:31 AM
Dec 2016
operationvalkyri said:

aaaaah male tsunderes are 👌👌

i don’t really like female tsunderes tho, since a lot of them are borderline abusive and their personalities are often just really overplayed
Aug 25, 2019 11:42 AM
Apr 2017
Girls who have superhuman power when it comes to smashing a guy for saying something stupid. Lots of people hate it and that's fine too (then there are those who say "incest is fine, need to learn to separate fiction from reality brah" who get upset over overly violent women because violence isn't okay...okay?), I can see why, but it usually gives me a chuckle when it's not abused. I find it a lot more acceptable than what looks like actual violence (i.e. something that looks real. To put it in context, I like much more the Ayase kind of violence than the Kirino's).
Not that I *always* like it, if a character is despicably unlikable AND violent all the time, well, that's another matter entirely.
Imaishi said:
huge tits and the stupid sound they make in anime, it's silly but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
And this. Makes me snicker like the stupid 12 year old I undoubtedly am, but can't do anything about it. Love me some deke oppai, screw all lolis (except hachikuji <3).
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 25, 2019 11:45 AM

Mar 2018
The classic hand-on-tittie fall scene in literally every ecchi/harem show
Aug 25, 2019 11:46 AM

Nov 2017
I have a filthy deus ex machina fetish.
Aug 25, 2019 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Hufflypuffy said:
operationvalkyri said:

i don’t really like female tsunderes tho, since a lot of them are borderline abusive and their personalities are often just really overplayed
Male tsunderes can be abusive too (Chiaki from Nodame Cantabile or Tomoe from Kamisama Hajimemashita). I don't like the abuse either so I like to imagine that it never happened. That way I can enjoy all the other fun parts of their character.
Aug 25, 2019 12:11 PM

Oct 2015
operationvalkyri said:
Hufflypuffy said:

Male tsunderes can be abusive too (Chiaki from Nodame Cantabile or Tomoe from Kamisama Hajimemashita). I don't like the abuse either so I like to imagine that it never happened. That way I can enjoy all the other fun parts of their character.

Dunno about Tomoe but Chiaki's probably the most violent male tsundere I've seen and even then he is more reasonable than most female tsunderes. If female tsunderes' aggressiveness were to be toned down to Chiaki's level I could get behind it honestly.

OT: I like me some edgy boys if they have interesting character too like Makoto Yuki (P3) or Accelerator.
Aug 25, 2019 12:46 PM

Jul 2016
KuroudoAkabane said:
FuriousNutSlaps said:
Head tilts.

Head tilts are my shit.

esspecially when they also saay EEEHHHHH!!!! while doing it

THIS!
(yea yea i need at least 30 character....)
Aug 25, 2019 12:52 PM
Jul 2018
Orhunaa said:
operationvalkyri said:

Dunno about Tomoe but Chiaki's probably the most violent male tsundere I've seen and even then he is more reasonable than most female tsunderes. If female tsunderes' aggressiveness were to be toned down to Chiaki's level I could get behind it honestly.
Makes sense, though I might not have seen a lot of female tsunderes then. One of the most notorious is Taiga whose abuse is at par with Chiaki's iirc. Since I block out Chiaki's abuse, I'll definitely be blocking out Taiga's too.
Aug 25, 2019 5:53 PM

Oct 2008
Does anyone here watch "Haikyuu", if so you all would remember the moment when "Hinata Shoyo" the mc has a look in his eyes. He has this "the game is 24>1 in the enemy's favour, but as long as it's not over, we can still win obviously" look in his eyes and this aura of "what I said makes total sense" so those moments and moments like those in anime are like drugs for me, I get high off of them.
Aug 25, 2019 6:09 PM
Jul 2018
Goofy cartoony "face faults" like sweat drops, rivers of tears, scribbly eyes, giving up the ghost, heads turning giant, characters randomly turning chibi, etc. I miss when even relatively serious anime had them but now you only ever see them in kids shows.

I also find idealistic heroes really endearing as long as they're not loud and annoying. There's a difference between Gon Freecss and Lloyd Irving (adorable) and Asta and Naruto (please just shut up).
removed-userAug 25, 2019 6:47 PM
Aug 25, 2019 6:17 PM
Mar 2016
ChaosSaviour said:
same
the scenes where the MC just completely shocks the crowd are fun to watch, even tho I wouldn't consider tournament arcs good writing
Aug 25, 2019 6:42 PM
Dec 2016
[quote=Orhunaa message=58256048]
operationvalkyri said:

OT: I like me some edgy boys if they have interesting character too like Makoto Yuki (P3) or Accelerator.

check my favorites lmao i love makoto so damn much
Aug 25, 2019 6:43 PM
Dec 2016
zieek said:
Does anyone here watch "Haikyuu", if so you all would remember the moment when "Hinata Shoyo" the mc has a look in his eyes. He has this "the game is 24>1 in the enemy's favour, but as long as it's not over, we can still win obviously" look in his eyes and this aura of "what I said makes total sense" so those moments and moments like those in anime are like drugs for me, I get high off of them.

ooh same! i know it’s really common but i love the “we don’t know until we try” mindset a lot of mc’s have, it’s cute & pretty honorable
Aug 25, 2019 6:53 PM
May 2016
Fanservce
The beach episode
The hot spring episode
The bath/shower scene
Aug 25, 2019 7:11 PM

Mar 2012
This

As well as thing like power of friendship, talk no jutsu, magical incantation etc.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 25, 2019 7:26 PM

Apr 2019
Give me some Incest, like I need Imouto in action.
100% Tsundere girls
Head Tilts ( I love shaft )
A Yandere in limit.
Aug 25, 2019 7:50 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I love dudes in crossplay. I don't care if they're hairy, buff, out of shape, or what. There's just something really attractive about seeing men in clothes that are really "girly". Gimme the frills and gimme the skirts. I'm in. I don't even care how "bad" they're supposed to look in it. I'm still down.

I also have a weird thing for the creepy, obsessive, in love stalker trope. I'm not talking about Matoi from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei or Hinata type of stalking where they kinda just follow people and I'm not talking about the type of stalker who's obsessively stalking someone because they want to kill them because the person took their role in a play or something.
I'm talking about the type of stalking where "you wake up from your sleep after hearing some weird heavy breathing in your home that you're pretty sure you locked but for some reason this person is hovering over you as they pleasure themselves"-- or they're just staring at you and breathing heavy. Whichever. It's often an interesting type of thriller for me, because you don't really know what they're gonna do next, because the actions are done out of whatever idea of "love" each particular character has. And really, I think even just everyone in this thread already has a similar but different idea of what love is or how to express it, so if we're talking about a character then you just never really know what you're going to get. I like it.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Aug 25, 2019 7:57 PM

Jan 2014
mhkr said:

ChaosSaviour said:
I don't see many people that hate tournament arcs tbh

Mostly, people that disliked shounen found tournament arcs to be the worst part of it
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 25, 2019 7:59 PM

Oct 2017
I wrote comment on r/anime a while ago on an episode dicussion thread about how much I love the trope of the flat or small-breasted girl getting jealous of big-boob girls. I got downvoted by all the normie scum on that cesspool of a website. That was the straw that broke the camels back and after that I barely went to r/anime and started hanging out here.

At least the judgmental assholes on here are less likely to be normies. The barrier of having to go to a website specifically designed for curating a list of anime one has seen tends to make this community have more proper anime fans than r/anime. The karma scores on r/anime are decided by normie lurker quasi-fans that come from other subbreddits and downvote stuff about otaku culture they don't like.

Fuck r/anime. I would pay good money for the user and password for whoever owns that subreddit and then I would nuke the whole thing. I'd fill it with loli hentai and 100 threads titled "normies out, you're not welcome, fuck off, anime isn't for you" or something like that. Would probably end up doing more harm than good though. Best I don't get that power lol.

... But err, back on topic. In addition to the trope I started this comment with, I like:
Lolis. They're cute. The sexual element is supposed to have a slightly weird, tabboo, fetishistic sort of feel. It's not pedophillia, fuck off with that crap.

Harem setups. Minimal penis, maximum vagina. Seems good to me.

Acknowledging, displaying, appreciating and celebrating the beauty of the female form. 'Fan service' if you want to use that tired, judgmental, cynical phrase.

School settings. School is an exciting time in life where people enjoy a lot of freedom and are discovering the world and love and sex for the first time. School settings in anime are about more than targetting the high school demographic, which is what cynical people usually lazily attribute the trope to.

All these things can be done well or done badly, but lots of people hate them outright which is stupid and narrow-minded.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 25, 2019 8:17 PM

Apr 2015
Bath and beach episodes, nothing wrong with some fanservice.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Aug 25, 2019 8:37 PM

May 2018
dead parent/ no parent/ parent trauma. I know people get sick of the like backstories that revolve around dead families, or like high school students that live on their own (for some reason). Im a big slut for anything with it tho, because im like.... literally same?? Love when the characters milk it for year to come too like as it the root of all their problems (CUS SAME)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* 愛してる *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Aug 25, 2019 8:51 PM

Dec 2014
Does being reincarnated in other world counts? Ecchi things. Having a harem. Being edgy. Incestuous complex. Tsundere girls.
Aug 25, 2019 9:58 PM

Dec 2017
Would people like tropes more if they were done correctly?

ot - little sis trope
Least degenerate visual novel enjoyer.

Aug 25, 2019 11:29 PM

Apr 2013
Beach episode. Especially in more serious shows it's a great way to show some fanservice and just give screentime to less important characters. Also that SoL vibe is sometimes nice between action-heavy arcs.
Aug 26, 2019 6:02 AM

Mar 2017
I don't know if people hate it, but one of my favorite tropes is weird hairstyles. JP from Redline is a good example.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Aug 26, 2019 6:07 AM

May 2014
I guess a lot of the basic shonen tropes. Shouting attack names, the super sad flash backs, etc. I enjoy all that stuff.

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

32 by BatoKusanagi »»
21 seconds ago

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 2 minutes ago

0 by VeryRedBags »»
2 minutes ago

» Is it over for newcomer boomers?

LenRea - 6 hours ago

16 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

85 by Hitagi__Furude »»
4 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 8 hours ago

16 by nyugvo6 »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.