Forum Settings
Forums

Why is new anime more popular than old anime?

New
Aug 24, 2019 9:37 PM
Aug 2013
Recently i've noticed that all the new anime is more popular than old anime as a result the new anime are very overrated, I'm not sure if this is because as anime gets more popular it gains more fans and the new anime fans aren't introduced to older series yet. In my experience the best anime were the old anime and some of my favourite old anime are underrated for example Lupin III
~AnimeDownUnder~

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 24, 2019 9:41 PM

Apr 2015
"Overrated" and "underrated". Two great ways to start a thread, nice.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Aug 24, 2019 9:43 PM

Jul 2019
It is because newer anime fans are first introduced to only newer animes and before truly interesting themselves about anime, they are probably turned-off by older animes, using excuses as "art style looks liike trash", "animation is bad" or whatever. You gotta deal with it, let them grow and start appreciating all animes, though it's quite annoying when your friend has been hooked up on the popular shit for the last 2 years and doesn't want to watch into other stuff, fuck you Laurent.
Aug 24, 2019 9:45 PM
Jul 2018
I've seen people on here who have FLCL Alternative and Progressive on their lists but not the original, WTF

just WTF is all I have to say.

Please give old anime a chance. Many of them are better than what you'll find today.
Aug 24, 2019 9:46 PM

Oct 2016
Maybe because the art quality and animation are much better than before? Plus a lot of people have more access to new series.
Aug 24, 2019 9:49 PM

Jun 2019
If you want to introduce and promote some more classic older series you have to target the type of person who isn't a typical watcher of seasonals, but that kind of viewer is probably in the minority so even the worst newest stuff has the exposure edge against a masterpiece-tier older series.

xiashenghan said:
Maybe because the art quality and animation are much better than before?

Definitely in the eye of the beholder. I'd take older hand-painted cel animation over anything today 1,000x over. Even the mid-2000s in the transitional stage between analog and digital was warmer with more personal touch, folksy charm, and traditional aesthetic appeal than today. Most of what's coming out now looks all too cookie cutter, too clean as to be sterile, and too similar as to be more interchangeable. I see modern animation style and it's already losing a point or so in my mind.
WatchTillTandavaAug 24, 2019 9:53 PM
Aug 24, 2019 9:52 PM
Jul 2018
I don't get people that say newer anime "look better". For one, one of the big things that I think older, cel-based anime have over new series are the backgrounds. Nowadays backgrounds are often horribly out of place low-effort CGI that clash with the 2d characters.

Backgrounds on cels look like works of art in their own right, and even the worst anime had great backgrounds that clearly had a lot of heart and soul put into them.

Don't get me wrong, I've seen modern anime with breathtaking backgrounds, but they seem so few and far between compared to how they used to be. And even stuff like Made in Abyss and Dr. Stone don't have the warmth and grit of the handpainted stuff.

Now, if by "old anime" people mean early digipaint, then I would agree, lmao. Some of those shows just plain hurt to look at. That was sort of the awkward puberty for anime, haha. Though I'm still somewhat nostalgic for the brighter color palettes that were common at the time and wish they would make a comeback, just not as eye-burning.

I'm also in agreement that newer anime just feel so... sterile. Everything is just too clean looking and the colors look so faded.
removed-userAug 24, 2019 10:03 PM
Aug 24, 2019 9:54 PM

Jul 2019
xiashenghan said:
Maybe because the art quality and animation are much better than before? Plus a lot of people have more access to new series.

Predicted hahahaha!

Anyways I think your first argument is totally irrelevant as art style is totally subjective, if you start watching anime with the newer style you'll probably want to keep watching with the same style. I think people that are used to watching old anime can say the opposite, in the end you just gotta break free from that mentality.

Also the animation did get better, but that's because of the rise in popularity of animes which made the industry gain more money, but there are tons of older animes with very good animation (looking at Ghibli, Giant Robo, Tokyo Movie Theather, and many others I still probably don't know). It is not true that every current anime have S tier animation quality, only some studio output consistent high quality.

It is true though that newer animes are easier to access, would it be by streaming platforms (Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc.) or by physical copies.
Aug 24, 2019 10:01 PM

Jul 2015
xiashenghan said:

Except any dumb 80s OVA destroys "modern animation". NGE obliterates like 90% of the mecha anime of the 2000s when it comes to animation. Nobody made a full 24FPS animated show since Redline, and given how long it took to make it, that's a good two decades without anyone even TRYING.
Animation is certainly not "much better" than before. Lots of pretty colors and shopped photorealistic backgrounds and color filters tho. Wich is to animation what putting lens flares on pics with Photoshop is to photography.

But then again I see people say "animation" when they mean "backgrounds" or "art style" or "colors" daily here. So maybe you're not actually talking about animation and objective quality but something else.
Aug 24, 2019 10:18 PM
May 2018
Deathko said:
xiashenghan said:

Except any dumb 80s OVA destroys "modern animation". NGE obliterates like 90% of the mecha anime of the 2000s when it comes to animation. Nobody made a full 24FPS animated show since Redline, and given how long it took to make it, that's a good two decades without anyone even TRYING.
Animation is certainly not "much better" than before. Lots of pretty colors and shopped photorealistic backgrounds and color filters tho. Wich is to animation what putting lens flares on pics with Photoshop is to photography.

But then again I see people say "animation" when they mean "backgrounds" or "art style" or "colors" daily here. So maybe you're not actually talking about animation and objective quality but something else.
i mean have you seen violet evergarden
Aug 24, 2019 10:22 PM

Oct 2016
BiDiGiN said:
xiashenghan said:

Predicted hahahaha!

Anyways I think your first argument is totally irrelevant as art style is totally subjective, if you start watching anime with the newer style you'll probably want to keep watching with the same style. I think people that are used to watching old anime can say the opposite, in the end you just gotta break free from that mentality.

Also the animation did get better, but that's because of the rise in popularity of animes which made the industry gain more money, but there are tons of older animes with very good animation (looking at Ghibli, Giant Robo, Tokyo Movie Theather, and many others I still probably don't know). It is not true that every current anime have S tier animation quality, only some studio output consistent high quality.

It is true though that newer animes are easier to access, would it be by streaming platforms (Netflix, Crunchyroll, etc.) or by physical copies.

I'm just predicting hence the MAYBE. I'm not entirely sure since I rarely watch anime these days. Stories aren't as good as before.
Aug 24, 2019 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
idkwhat2put said:
Deathko said:

i mean have you seen violet evergarden

I have, and while it is pretty (filmography and background-wise, I don't care much for the character designs), the way the characters move is also the epitome of that sterile digital 2010's stank. If I were to come up with a modern show that can go toe to toe with your typical OVA boom anime when it comes to fluidity and unique charm, I would say Mob Psycho 100 or even Nichijou would be a better example.
removed-userAug 24, 2019 10:32 PM
Aug 24, 2019 10:27 PM

Jul 2015
Yep I just saw some bits of Violet evergarden online (probably the best animated bits)... And it's decent as far as actual animation goes. Doesn't look any better than something like this:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/28735/Shouwa_Genroku_Rakugo_Shinjuu?q=rakugo

It does however look absolutely saturated with all the shiny digital effects you can dream of. Reflections, lens flares, ultra-saturated backgrounds, lots of color filters everywhere, some 3d for good measure... That's the kind of things that made the community scream "KIMI NO NA WA BEST ANIMATION EVER" when in fact Kimi no na wa's animation is mediocre/average as far as movies go. The girl who leapt through time does exactly the same thing animation-wise, but since it isn't filled to the brim with digital eye candy, modern watchers didn't give a fuck.
Aug 24, 2019 10:32 PM

Jul 2019
First thing would be that newer anime are popular and talked about, so new people who join in would be inclined to jump on the bandwagon. Second thing is this retarded belief that old anime means it would have inherently bad animation. I can give examples of 90s anime which look better than the majority of modern anime
Aug 24, 2019 10:33 PM

Jul 2015
SunBro26 said:
First thing would be that newer anime are popular and talked about, so new people who join in would be inclined to jump on the bandwagon. Second thing is this retarded belief that old anime means it would have inherently bad animation. I can give examples of 90s anime which look better than the majority of modern anime

That shock when I saw RahXephon for the first (and last) time. 10 years after NGE... and the robots are giant immobile statues to avoid animating them :'D
Aug 24, 2019 10:39 PM

Aug 2019
My own experience as someone relatively new to anime (I think I've only been seriously interested in it for maybe 5 years at the most) is that it's mostly an even mix when it comes to what animes I'm exposed to. Like, it started with me liking Avatar: The Last Airbender, and then someone recommending The Slayers based on that, and from there I kind of just got into the art style, and learned "backwards".

By that, I mean I would see a cool picture, or a cute character, and then look up what anime they were from. Plus, the "Top X anime" lists would show me a lot of popular anime (FMA is the top anime for this site, I guess? I'm still not sure. But that's pretty old) from various years. So, when it comes down to it, I don't actually know which animes are "old" or "new" most of the time, they're all kind of jumbled up, with that "I'd kill a demon lord for my daughter" anime coming up almost as often as Serial Experiments Lain and Macross or Gundam stuff.

But, it's only natural that the new animes would get talked about more often, and voted to the top more, especially for people like me that aren't planning on trying to fill in every anime I've ever seen. I added a few animes that I could think of, but from now on I'll probably only add things when I watch them. In my case, I'm planning on watching a few older animes so my list will become more balanced, but supposing I had already watched all the anime until now, then made my account, then it would look like I only liked new anime because it would only have anime from 2019+.

Plus, people talk about older animes less, because they've already been talked about. There's not many people who want to talk about Slayers or Patlabor or Lensman, because they already did that a long time ago. And besides, when it comes to raw popularity, I feel like older anime tends to be way more popular and common. Anime shows that were popular a couple years ago seem to have faded away, but I'm always seeing references, avatars, and signatures for anime that started like 1995-2005ish.
Aug 24, 2019 10:39 PM

Jul 2019
Deathko said:
SunBro26 said:

That shock when I saw RahXephon for the first (and last) time. 10 years after NGE... and the robots are giant immobile statues to avoid animating them :'D
I mean, I wont say that Eva is fantastic animation all around. It had plenty of forced stills and all that, but hot damn when the action came in they just went guns ablazin'! If I were to quote an example of an old anime with fantastic all-around animation, it'd definitely be Diebuster or Stand Alone Complex
Aug 24, 2019 10:41 PM

Nov 2018
this thread is filled with the people I don't quite understand.

New anime is more "popular" because it is new. It is current. You see it being talked about right now because it is coming out right now. And if you're using MAL as your source of "anime popularity" then of course a ton of the older stuff will seem to be less popular, especially since older stuff are more popular in Japan anyway.

What's wrong with the new shows? You seem to believe them as overrated yet think your favorite (old) anime is underrated. From the amount of information you have given me, all I can deduce is that you are just a hopeless person striving to feel unique in this media that's growing more and more mainstream, and I think people who act the way you do are overrated unlike the underrated seasonal anime watchers.

Open your 3rd eye and realize that ALL NEW ANIME IS GOOD! Even that isekai that's practically the same thing as the isekai from last season! OLD ANIME IS OLD BECAUSE IT'S OLD! Get with the times, GRANDPA! 10 years from now anime will be objectively rated by how well animated the show is regardless of how good the plot is. Prepare yourself
Aug 24, 2019 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
Deathko said:
SunBro26 said:

To be fair Rahxephon was during the awkward transitional early digipaint period, probably the "ugliest" anime era IMO.

Nowadays they just make the mechas CGI... If they still made mecha anime anymore outside of Gundam and uh, Darling in the FranXX?
Aug 24, 2019 10:46 PM

May 2009
OP @AnimeDownUnder if you pay attention it's actually not "new anime" in general, but more "recent seasons of anime".

The more time has passed since a cohort of releases became available to audiences, the more the fandom forgets about it, down to some small subset of very famous things.

On the other hand, the more current something is, the more it is the "talk of the town" and just a convenient social watering hole that generates buzz and hype and conversation. So, for anyone caught up with the fandom's main social scenes, the more their attention is dominated by recent series.

There are smaller communities for each series, even the lesser-known ones. But they just don't get as much attention. Though they are there if you want to find them, and some of them are quite nice, in part because they're a lot quieter and usually won't push you about watching stuff.

Note that this doesn't involve "quality" at all. Newer anime isn't magically worse or better than older anime. In most cases, it's just that the styles have changed, and different people have different opinions about whether those changes were to their liking.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 24, 2019 10:46 PM

Jul 2015
SunBro26 said:
Deathko said:

I mean, I wont say that Eva is fantastic animation all around. It had plenty of forced stills and all that, but hot damn when the action came in they just went guns ablazin'! If I were to quote an example of an old anime with fantastic all-around animation, it'd definitely be Diebuster or Stand Alone Complex

I really don't consider Diebuster and SAC "old", and tbh SAC kinda made my eyes bleed with all that staggered 3d, violet everywhere, and quite generic designs/art style. I'd say how it looked was one of the biggest deceptions for me.

I have no problems with stills when they serve a purpose, and if there's something you gotta hand to Anno, it's that the guy knows how to direct a story. Not just run an anime studio and meet the deadline, but actually do... what a director's supposed to do in a live action movie: make the whole thing good and artsy. Never had a problem with the three very long stills in the show.
Aug 24, 2019 10:48 PM

Jul 2015
Loonitick said:
Open your 3rd eye and realize that ALL NEW ANIME IS GOOD! Even that isekai that's practically the same thing as the isekai from last season! OLD ANIME IS OLD BECAUSE IT'S OLD! Get with the times, GRANDPA! 10 years from now anime will be objectively rated by how well animated the show is regardless of how good the plot is. Prepare yourself

Not sure if that's supposed to be sarcasm or not. If shows were rated based on the actual quality of the animation (like, animation, not digital effects or pretty colors), MAL's top 10 would look way different.
Aug 24, 2019 10:50 PM

Jul 2019
Deathko said:
Loonitick said:

Not sure if that's supposed to be sarcasm or not. If shows were rated based on the quality of the animation, MAL's top 10 would look way different.
If it's not, I'm shooting myself *readies revolver*
Aug 24, 2019 10:50 PM

Jan 2009
people are natural novelty seekers and we have recency bias too
Aug 24, 2019 10:52 PM

Oct 2017
There isn't any black science on this, they are just easier to find so more people watch them

Aug 24, 2019 10:54 PM

Jul 2015
ugmon said:
people are natural novelty seekers and we have recency bias too

Remind me of my last discussion with a "modern= objectively better" user. Once people explained to him what really is animation and after being asked what objective progress the two last decades brought, he answered (pretty much word for word) "New anime are objectively better, I don't need to explain why, everybody can see it but you"

That did sound as subjective as it gets to me but whatever :'D

I also suspect most users here think old anime were released in 240p, ultra compressed and with poorly synced sound, like the shlock you find on illegal streaming sites.
Aug 24, 2019 10:58 PM

Jul 2016
Is this another "old" vs "new" anime thread again? This will certainly generate constructive discussion.

In all seriousness the current paradigm of anime-watching is keeping up with seasonal shows and dumping them as soon as a new season starts. That has nothing to do with "newer" anime being better than "older" anime or not.
Aug 24, 2019 11:02 PM

Oct 2017
raisin-kun said:
Is this another "old" vs "new" anime thread again?

That seems the case sadly, people can't let other people enjoy their stuff.

Aug 24, 2019 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
When people say "easier to find" I don't get it.

If you're watching legally, Discotek has practically their entire catalog on Crunchy, Sentai has a few oldies but goodies 80's series on their platform and Crunchy, and Funimation has licensed pretty much all of the classic big name 90's anime and they're all on their platform.

If you're yar har fiddle dee deeing, most yar har fiddle dee dee anime sites have all the old ones too. Just search the name. You can even find shows that have been in licensing limbo and it might be the only way to even watch some of these.
Aug 24, 2019 11:14 PM

Nov 2011
Newer stuff always more popular, take songs/music for example.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Aug 24, 2019 11:15 PM

Oct 2017
HeruruMeruru said:

?
It's that hard to understand that newer stuff it's more easily available than older stuff?
Pretty sure that it will take less than time to find the new version of Space Battleship Yamato than the original for example

Aug 24, 2019 11:17 PM
Jul 2018
Heimur said:
HeruruMeruru said:

?
It's that hard to understand that newer stuff it's more easily available than older stuff?

Did you read the rest of my post? Older series are just as readily available as newer stuff, both legally and otherwise. People have uploaded entire movies to Youtube in HD, even. There are exceptions, if it's Animeigo you're kinda fucked unless you want to order discs.
Aug 24, 2019 11:19 PM

Oct 2017
HeruruMeruru said:
Heimur said:

?

Did you read the rest of my post? Older series are just as readily available as newer stuff, both legally and otherwise. There are exceptions, if it's Animeigo you're kinda fucked unless you want to order discs.

Yes? What it's ameigo?
I don't think that the concept that stuff released this year will be found on more places than something released on 1985 requires an essay to be explained

Aug 24, 2019 11:20 PM

Jul 2015
Heimur said:
HeruruMeruru said:

?
Pretty sure that it will take less than time to find the new version of Space Battleship Yamato than the original for example

tbh finding anime is piss easy until you start searching for very obscure 70s titles. Finding old anime takes about the same time than finding recent ones most of the time: the time it takes to google it.
Aug 24, 2019 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
Heimur said:
HeruruMeruru said:

Did you read the rest of my post? Older series are just as readily available as newer stuff, both legally and otherwise. There are exceptions, if it's Animeigo you're kinda fucked unless you want to order discs.

Yes? What it's ameigo?
I don't think that the concept that stuff released this year will be found on more places than something released on 1985 requires an essay to be explained

As I said, most of the major legal anime platforms have almost all of the classics available, and piracy wise, you can straight up just watch many movies and OVAs in HD on YouTube.
removed-userAug 24, 2019 11:27 PM
Aug 24, 2019 11:23 PM

May 2018
Another one of those old anime vs new anime thread? And it's 2019. This topic is as old as elitist thread.
Aug 24, 2019 11:26 PM

Nov 2018
Deathko said:
Loonitick said:

Not sure if that's supposed to be sarcasm or not. If shows were rated based on the actual quality of the animation (like, animation, not digital effects or pretty colors), MAL's top 10 would look way different.

sorry...……………. speak to me in 10 years and we'll see what the top 10 looks like then, I'm betting $3,647,257,999.95 (price this high because American dollars will inflate once the Democrats take control of office) on me being right
Aug 24, 2019 11:32 PM

Oct 2017
HeruruMeruru said:
Heimur said:

Yes? What it's ameigo?

As I said, most of the major legal anime platforms have almost all of the classics available, and piracy wise, you can straight up just watch many movies and OVAs in HD on YouTube.

Same thing that with new anime, except that for every aite where you can watch Dororo 1969 there will be 10 sites that only have the 2019 version, nobody it's saying that they are impossible to find but the very concept that something newer it's easier to find that something older shouldn't be so hard to grasp.

Aug 24, 2019 11:35 PM
Dec 2017
This isn't necessarily true. Some of the most popular and recognizable anime are the older ones. Just look at Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. So, I don't agree with you saying "all the new anime is more popular than old anime". It's just not true.

But, I do agree that some new anime fans have yet to watch anything older. They probably started with a newer anime like Attack on Titan or something and then just went from there with the more recent anime. Sometimes, they don't look back at the older series, even for a bit.

Admittedly, I haven't watched anything too old myself... The oldest is Dragon Ball Z which I went to when DBZ Kai stopped making episodes years ago. And I only watched a small portion of the original Dororo but I think I have familiarized myself with the style of older anime so I could watch it if I really wanted to. But some other people...might not. While I have always liked the late 80s and 90s art style, some fans aren't going to like it so they look past anime made in that time period.

And I guess some fans aren't interested in older anime which is unfortunate because I know there are some good ones that came out then. The older anime aren't the best and the newer ones aren't the best either. Both kinds of anime have great series out there. It's better to watch a mixture of both.

Also, it may be an issue for anime fans who like to watch seasonal anime. I might pick between 3 to 5 seasonal anime to watch each season and, because I watch anime slowly, it's harder for me to use my time on watching other series. I'm still trying to finish the second season of Seven Deadly Sins because I started late...
Aug 24, 2019 11:40 PM
Aug 2013
xiashenghan said:

I actually disagree with this comment, the art style of anime was better in old anime. They used actual hand drawn animation before everything was digital and now I see a lot of CGI in anime. It's taking out a lot of the hard work and the art of what anime originally was, I guess it's down to personal preference but old anime in my opinion had the far superior animation and art style. And also the anime were much more original back then too
~AnimeDownUnder~

Aug 24, 2019 11:43 PM
Aug 2013
Sakurai_Aoi said:
This isn't necessarily true. Some of the most popular and recognizable anime are the older ones. Just look at Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece. So, I don't agree with you saying "all the new anime is more popular than old anime". It's just not true.

But, I do agree that some new anime fans have yet to watch anything older. They probably started with a newer anime like Attack on Titan or something and then just went from there with the more recent anime. Sometimes, they don't look back at the older series, even for a bit.

Admittedly, I haven't watched anything too old myself... The oldest is Dragon Ball Z which I went to when DBZ Kai stopped making episodes years ago. And I only watched a small portion of the original Dororo but I think I have familiarized myself with the style of older anime so I could watch it if I really wanted to. But some other people...might not. While I have always liked the late 80s and 90s art style, some fans aren't going to like it so they look past anime made in that time period.

And I guess some fans aren't interested in older anime which is unfortunate because I know there are some good ones that came out then. The older anime aren't the best and the newer ones aren't the best either. Both kinds of anime have great series out there. It's better to watch a mixture of both.

Also, it may be an issue for anime fans who like to watch seasonal anime. I might pick between 3 to 5 seasonal anime to watch each season and, because I watch anime slowly, it's harder for me to use my time on watching other series. I'm still trying to finish the second season of Seven Deadly Sins because I started late...

You have a good point, however if I look at the rating and what animes people are talking about nobody even mentions those anime these days. Dragonball is popular but it's still somewhat underrated in terms of rating. There is a lot of old anime not including the big 3 (naruto, bleach & one piece) which don't get enough recognition. After looking at some old anime i've found a few rare gems that i've never heard of that I wish more people would talk about, but I guess that answers my own question the new anime fans haven't heard of a lot of those old anime maybe they and younger audience too and grown up with different anime. The new generation of anime fans wouldn't of grown up with dragonball like I did when I was a kid so they may not have the same nostalgia as the older anime fans do
~AnimeDownUnder~

Aug 24, 2019 11:48 PM
Aug 2013
Thanks for everyones comments, just want to put this out there i'm a fan of new anime too I was just curious as to why the new anime is more popular than the older anime. With some exceptions being the most well know shounen anime such as the big 3
~AnimeDownUnder~

Aug 24, 2019 11:52 PM
Aug 2019
Because they are new.

On another note ... kinda sad to see such uncultured people here.
Older anime have better story, better characters, better atmosphere, and look prettier. Newer anime are pretty mediocre and forgettable.

Japan respects its older shows, evident from how sequels are still being made today. Older manga series still outshine and sell more than newer mediocrities.

It is just the western anime community that has this phenomenon, this horrible taste and views on anime. They like the new late night Otaku garbage that is being produced by the dozens. Which has zero care or thought put into it, and nobody sane watches in Japan.

Or their fave argument that new is automatically better just because it is new. The seasonal chart begs to differ. Out of 70+ anime every season, with varying degrees of horrible animation, only like 3 get remembered (if we are lucky). You tell me how good modern anime are exactly?!
RanpyoneAug 24, 2019 11:55 PM
Aug 24, 2019 11:56 PM
Jul 2018
I too don't want to be too harsh on recent anime and I apologize if it seems that way. While from a purely aesthetic level I prefer the look of older anime, some of my favorite anime of all time happen to be very recent. Still, it makes me sad when people won't even give the classics a chance, they're really missing out. :(

Hell, there's plenty of absolute stinkers from the "golden age", we just don't remember them. But at least in my opinion, they were aesthetically pleasing and had great backgrounds.

The reason why many people seem to think there's a quality decrease is because back then, licensors curated everything for us, while nowadays you can watch whatever soulless light novel adaptation you want the day it airs in Japan, legally. If Garzey's Wing were to come out today, unaltered, people would complain about anime going down the drain for sure.
removed-userAug 25, 2019 12:58 AM
Aug 24, 2019 11:56 PM

May 2018
These are lists of most popular anime in MAL as in base on number of watching, completed it. They are not recent but not too old either.

Death Note = 2006 - 2007
Shingeki no Kyojin = 2013
SAO = 2012
FMA Bortherhood = 2009 - 2010
OPM = 2015
Tokyo Ghoul = 2014
Steins Gate = 2011
NGNL = 2014
Naruto = 2002 - 2007
Angel beats! = 2010

https://myanimelist.net/topanime.php?type=bypopularity

Airing anime are most talk about, doesn't mean they are popular overall.
Papa_ScorchAug 25, 2019 12:00 AM
Aug 24, 2019 11:58 PM
Aug 2019
HeruruMeruru said:
I too don't want to be too harsh on recent anime and I apologize if it seems that way. While from a purely aesthetic level I prefer the look of older anime, some of my favorite anime of all time happen to be very recent.

Are any of your recent faves late night Otaku pandering commercials? No? Then you are good to go.
Aug 24, 2019 11:58 PM

Sep 2018
Its because some newer anime fans don't really watch older shows, they either dont like the art style wich is a dumb way to judge a show. Or they are turned off by older shows because they are not as tropy and not what they want from anime.

I still think on average newer anime are inferior to the early 2000s and before, overused anime tropes are the death to every show.
Using "Overrated" and "underrated" is really a not so endearing way to start an argument.
-Mullerio-Aug 25, 2019 12:02 AM
Aug 25, 2019 12:00 AM

Jul 2015
TheChaika said:
HeruruMeruru said:
I too don't want to be too harsh on recent anime and I apologize if it seems that way. While from a purely aesthetic level I prefer the look of older anime, some of my favorite anime of all time happen to be very recent.

Are any of your recent faves late night Otaku pandering commercials? No? Then you are good to go.

Is Kill la Kill late night Otaku pandering commercial? I wanna know if I should bleach my eyes.
Aug 25, 2019 12:03 AM
May 2018
Believe it, or not, a lot of old school anime is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more popular nowadays, than they ever were, even during initial airing /release.

I mean, yeah new anime is still more popular, because it is the product of current time, but the amount of info, or how often some classic shows, and even a lot of "hidden gems" are mentioned on Internet is just insane if you take a closer look, and don't pay attention only on MAL rankings, which are, as we know, for most part, a lie.

Also, no matter how highly appreciated, and rightfully so, since it is the best anime in history, but how many of us actually heard of LOGH before big anime Internet boom that happened post 2005?
Aug 25, 2019 12:04 AM
Aug 2019
Deathko said:
TheChaika said:

Is Kill la Kill late night Otaku pandering commercial? I wanna know if I should bleach my eyes.

Kill la Kill is silly nonsense. Pretty garbage overall. Looks incredibly ugly too. Shameless ecchi pandering.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 5 hours ago

41 by LostSpectre »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

49 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime show good at portraying female drama/toxicity?

passtur - Yesterday

35 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

175 by alshu »»
19 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7153 by g6qwerty »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.