Forum Settings
Forums

Which characters do you love or can at least tolerate from the anime which contains your least favorite characters?

New
Aug 24, 2019 6:21 PM

Jun 2019
It's fine if have you more than one show to cite, but thinking about the recent thread about least favorite/hated characters in anime (and probably the 1,000 that passed before it), I'd like to stress this should be about your lowest tier, most infuriating, bottom of the barrel-esque characters.

Unless you hate the show as a whole, everything about it, and everyone in it, then you can say which characters you actually did prefer to your hated ones. Could be you loved those characters or at least could stand having them on screen a lot better than your hated ones.

I'll go first and select Neon Genesis Evangelion. Hated/least favorite characters in anime from the show? Shinji and Asuka.

Loved Gendo, Rei, and Misato. Switching focus and screentime between the former group and the latter saw me perpetually oscillating between a 1/10 and a 10/10.
Aug 24, 2019 6:26 PM

Feb 2019
I absolutely despise Taiga from Toradora. She's the prime staple of how bad tsunderes can be. Minori and MC-kun are also insufferable. Ami is great though. She's the only reason I gave that show the score that I did, otherwise it would be definitely lower.

Oh, I remembered another one: I hate Senjougahara just almost as much as I despise Taiga. The best parts of Monogatari are the ones when she's not around. The other Monogatari girls are amazing.
KosmonautAug 24, 2019 7:27 PM
Aug 24, 2019 6:31 PM

Jul 2017
I hate everyone from Love Live with the exception of Niko and Umi :P

Also SAO:A except for Miyu
Aug 24, 2019 6:33 PM

May 2019
Short_Circut said:

Also SAO:A except for Miyu

I thought I was the only one. :o I was more or less annoyed with the entire cast haha. Umi and Hanayo kept my sanity though.
Aug 24, 2019 6:35 PM

Feb 2019
Short_Circut said:
C'mon, you left the most annoying character out (Niko) :v

I only liked Maki and Umi, so I think we're on the same boat almost.
Aug 24, 2019 6:35 PM

Feb 2019
Eh, I’m not interested in racking my mind over which anime has my least favorite characters. So, I’ll just go with an anime that’s pretty fresh on my mind that had LOTS of characters who ranged from average to flat out garbage. That aforementioned anime is Golden Time! The only character I genuinely liked from that show was Nana.
To judge others by your own standard is the height of folly.
Aug 24, 2019 6:38 PM

May 2019
Aastra343 said:
Short_Circut said:

So I guess we all agree that Umi is great? XD
Aug 24, 2019 6:39 PM

Jul 2017
Aastra343 said:
Short_Circut said:

hey what can I say the Nico Nico Nii got to me lol

now don't make me Nico Nico yeet you outta here

Star-Storm said:
Aastra343 said:

So I guess we all agree that Umi is great? XD

yesh
Aug 24, 2019 6:44 PM

May 2018
There's two - Raphtalia (tolerate) from Shield Hero, and Mako (love) from Kill la Kill.

SuperGreenTeaAug 24, 2019 6:48 PM
Aug 24, 2019 6:44 PM

Jan 2018
Big Order:

Hated: Eiji (He's one of if not the worst written main characters in an anime I've ever seen.)

liked: Rin and Iyo (I disliked Big Order but these two were the saving graces besides the music. If I ever do continue the series it's going to be for them)

Happy Sugar Life (I like this series but hhh)

Hated: Satou, Taiyou, creeper teacher, (I really hated these characters through my watch of the series. They all Taiyou especially made me freaking uncomfortable which is what the writers wanted so hey they did their jobs)

Liked: Asahi, Shio, Shoko (I was rooting for Asahi to get together with Shoko and find Shio man T_T)

School Days: (It's been years but XD)

Hated: About everyone but mostly Makoto. You all know why

Liked: Sekai and Katsura. (Honestly, I really liked these two in my initial watching of the series. I sympathized for the both of them and now ship them with 0 regrets. Both because I think they would be cute and out of spite of Makoto! WHO NEEDS HIM?! XD)

Magical girl apocalypse

Hated: Akuta Rintaro! I will never stop hating this creep! I had to drop the manga because of how he made me so uncomfortable.

Liked: The magical girls were really cool and I liked Kaede as a protag.
A treasure the color of the rainbow, the color of happiness
Aug 24, 2019 6:49 PM

Feb 2019
Short_Circut said:
Aastra343 said:

I'm just gonna Nico Nico yeet then before I'm down on my Nico Nico knees.

Aug 24, 2019 7:06 PM

Jul 2017
Aastra343 said:
Short_Circut said:

I'm just gonna Nico Nico yeet then before I'm down on my Nico Nico knees.

Nico Nico nani?

jkjk that was Nico Nico nice
Aug 24, 2019 7:09 PM

Jun 2019
MarinBlue said:
Happy Sugar Life (I like this series but hhh)

Hated: Satou

Great descriptive post and you've got the exact spirit of the thread down pat, but I'd be lying if I said your Satou hate didn't sadden me inside a bit.
Aug 24, 2019 7:11 PM
Jul 2018
I actually like Outlaw Star, but Aisha Clan Clan and Suzuka are the only characters in the entire show I actually like. Everyone else is either useless, boring, or an asshole. At least Aisha and Suzuka are the fun kind of asshole.
removed-userAug 24, 2019 7:16 PM
Aug 24, 2019 7:21 PM

Sep 2014
My most hated character is Katejina from Victory Gundam, a psycho despicable bitch. I don't think I truly liked anyone in the show, but Uso, the protagonist, was tolerable at least, and you root for him, even if you don't like him.

I also generally disliked the cast of Trigun (both Vash and the 2 girls, annoying bunch) but Wolfwood was a cool guy.
Aug 24, 2019 8:00 PM

Aug 2016
The glaring example would be Monster. I hated every second Eva was on the screen. To me, Monster would have been an easy 10/10, but she had far too much exposure (more than what I consider necessary for the show). She checks a lot of boxes that I find annoying in a character.

Meanwhile, I loved Johan as a character. I like Tenma, Lunge, Anna, and Wolfgang. Wouldn't say love to the point they're absolute favorites though. Extended favorites, sure.
Aug 24, 2019 8:13 PM
Feb 2016
I loved Great Teacher Onizuka, but I had to knock it down from a 9/10 to a 8/10 because Fuyutsuki (Onizuka's love interest that teaches) is both completely uninteresting and has way too much screen time.

Furthermore, Fuyutsuki's annoying attitude compounds on the fact that she literally never stands up for Onizuka, depsite the fact that he both stopped another character from sexually harassing her and regularly solves/helps all of her problems as they come up. However, in exchange for this Onizuka doesn't even receive the benefit of the doubt in any situation. She is completely ungrateful, and when she does take Onizuka's side she never actually does anything, instead running to Onizuka immediately.

I'm aware the manga was made in the late 90's and early 2000's and was targeted to men. That's what makes Fuyutsuki rather sexist damsel in distress portrayal even more annoying. She is apparently suppose to be something I enjoy as a man, which makes me dislike her more.
Aug 24, 2019 8:22 PM
Jul 2018
Death Note. I disliked everyone because they were quite dense. Loved L. Imagine my disappointment towards the end.
Aug 24, 2019 8:28 PM

Jan 2018
operationvalkyri said:
Death Note. I disliked everyone because they were quite dense. Loved L. Imagine my disappointment towards the end.

I didn't even get to that part of the anime but I know what you're talking about :,D Feels bad man
A treasure the color of the rainbow, the color of happiness
Aug 24, 2019 9:03 PM

Feb 2018
I don't particularly like the cast of Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! as they can act really annoyingly at times, but I do enjoy Nibutani.

Aug 24, 2019 9:34 PM

Mar 2017
I couldn't stand either of the two main characters in Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san but I kind of liked the three girls, Mina, Sanae, and Yukari.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Aug 24, 2019 11:18 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
A certain magical index - Accelerator is a great character, but Index on the other hand is a borderline worthless ingrate.

Magi: Judar, Hakuryu, and Kougyoku are my favourite characters in the series. In contrast, I despise Sinbad for what he did in the final arc of the manga.

Gintama: I like Hijikata, but Okita is super annoying and I hate how he treats the former.
Aug 24, 2019 11:43 PM

Sep 2016
For me, the best examples are probably OreImo and Neon Genesis Evangelion. In OreImo, I despise Ayase and dislike Manami while I only like Kuroneko and in Evangelion, I dislike Asuka and can tolerate the other characters, but I don't like any of them.

MechKingKillbot said:
The glaring example would be Monster. I hated every second Eva was on the screen. To me, Monster would have been an easy 10/10, but she had far too much exposure (more than what I consider necessary for the show). She checks a lot of boxes that I find annoying in a character.

Meanwhile, I loved Johan as a character. I like Tenma, Lunge, Anna, and Wolfgang. Wouldn't say love to the point they're absolute favorites though. Extended favorites, sure.

Eva isn't particularly likeable, but I don't hate her. I like how she has plenty of screen time because she compensates by being a very well developed character and she is one of the reasons why Monster is fantastic. It's a shame Johan doesn't get a lot of screen time because he is quite an interesting character, but that's a minor issue.
Apoc_RevolutionAug 24, 2019 11:47 PM

Aug 25, 2019 12:06 AM
Apr 2017
Satsuriku no tenshi's characters are shite but I do like Abraham Gray. Only because Houchou Ootsuka is his VA but there you go.

Mononoke hime is chock full of insufferable characters, the only decent one being Eboshi Gozen. She was alright.

And talking about insufferable characters, enter death note. Its only saving grace being ryuk, which was pretty much fine.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Aug 25, 2019 2:10 AM

Mar 2015
I really didn't like anyone from FranXX except Goro. He's such a good boy. Ichigo doesn't deserve him SMH

Oh and Citrus too. Yuzu and Harumin are cool but everyone else is insufferable.
Aug 25, 2019 2:15 AM
May 2016
Aastra343 said:
I absolutely despise Taiga from Toradora. She's the prime staple of how bad tsunderes can be. Minori and MC-kun are also insufferable. Ami is great though. She's the only reason I gave that show the score that I did, otherwise it would be definitely lower.

This plus Haruhi from the Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu series
Aug 25, 2019 2:15 AM

Dec 2016
Steins; Gate : I literally dislike the whole cast of this show, with the exception of the future girl (forgot her name), the only character here that wasn't either annoying, boring or retarded.

Konosuba : the whole cast here is cancer, but I can tolerate Megumin.

Aug 25, 2019 3:37 AM

Jan 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
I'll go first and select Neon Genesis Evangelion. Hated/least favorite characters in anime from the show? Shinji and Asuka.

Loved Gendo, Rei, and Misato. Switching focus and screentime between the former group and the latter saw me perpetually oscillating between a 1/10 and a 10/10.

Lmfao, I came here to say exactly this. You basically wrote it out verbatim (minus Gendo, who I was just indifferent to).

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Aug 25, 2019 3:47 AM
Jan 2012
It's actually harder for me to find characters in Code Geass that I didn't hate or eventually started hating, but I still really liked Lloyd, his assistant, and C.C.
Aug 25, 2019 3:56 AM
Jul 2018
Most of Naruto cast, from Boruto

does this count?
Aug 25, 2019 4:37 AM

Sep 2017
I pretty much can't stand, or at least don't like, the whole cast of Fairy Tail, but for some reason I really appreciate Corona Flare

Same goes for Sword Art Online and Klein
Aug 25, 2019 6:55 AM

Apr 2014
Kill ka Kill is an awful show with awful characters, with the only tolerable character being Aikurou Mikisugi.
Aug 25, 2019 2:17 PM

Jul 2013
Basilisk season 2: Both Namemba and the monk who worked for the shogunate were literally the only characters I liked from this disaster of a fanfic. The former for being a sexy, competent ninja woman who wasn't annoying, and the monk for being the only character who felt like a character from the original Basilisk.
I also liked the female antagonist voiced by Yui Horie, but only because I like seeing her voicing evil characters.

Chaos Dragon: Swallow and Kaguraba were the only characters I could tolerate from this show. Everyone else was trash.

Guilty Crown: In a cast full of unlikeable assholes, Ayase and Segai were the only ones I liked till the end. Ayase for being the only character I cared who ended being a decent human being by the end of the series and Segai for being a very amusing villain.

Saint Seiya: Saintia Sho: Mayura by a landside. This series was trash, it was rushed, with horrible animation, relied too much in the Gold Saints, the main characters were useless in a series where they are supposed to be the main focus, and the story was a mess. Then there's Mayura, badass, wise, hot, can stand her own in a fight without jobbing and is loyal to her Goddess. Bonus point for being voiced by Rina Satou. In a series infamous for its lack of strong female characters, Mayura not only ended being the best, but also the only Silver Saint in modern Saint Seiya works who didn't end being a jobber. Honestly, she was too good for that abomination of an anime.

Taboo Tattoo: Though I liked Brad, my man Tamaki was the only decent character from that show. it helped that

From a more recent example, Maou-sama, Retry! is hot garbage, with the Holy Maidens (Luna and Queen at least) being the only characters that gave me a chuckle so far. It's not as much as I like them, but they are amusing, unlike the rest of the cast, that is pretty bad, so that is something at least.

Themousen said:
I pretty much can't stand, or at least don't like, the whole cast of Fairy Tail, but for some reason I really appreciate Corona Flare
I mean, Flare is both crazy and sexy, so I don't find weird to like her. If anything, I consider her the hottest character from the series.
Aug 25, 2019 9:03 PM

Jul 2015
Lynn Kaifun from Macross is just terrible but everyone else is pretty neat
Aug 25, 2019 9:06 PM

Dec 2018
Didn't really like anyone in Blend-S besides Akizuki and sometimes Kaho.
Aug 25, 2019 9:18 PM
魏无羡

Aug 2015
I haven't seen all of the works in the Monogatari series, just a handful, but pretty much every character in the series was insufferable to me, especially Senjougahara. With the sole exceptions of Shinobu and Black Hanekawa. They were the only reasons I stuck around, and honestly might even continue the series at some point bc I know Shinobu has movies that I've yet to see.

Aug 25, 2019 9:27 PM
Nov 2018
I love Ichigo and Zero Two from Darling in the FranXX, and their whole rivalry for the first half of the series. Hiro was alright, though I absolutely could not stand Kokoro at all. She flat out lies to Futoshi because she is too scared to turn him down, and ends up going after Mitsuru, without even the slightest apology or remorse. Fuck girls like her and she is the perfect example of a thot who doesn't give a shit about her actions. The second half of DitF sucks because they dedicate a whole side plot to her and getting "married" what the fuck ever. That concludes my rant.
Aug 26, 2019 11:53 AM

Nov 2018
I personally can not stand most of the characters from Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, with the exception of Hachiman. I love his dialogue and interactions too much to hate him but I hate what roles the show puts him in. And the rest of the characters are very bland.

I actually did like Hachiman's lil sis as well, its nice seeing an imouto who actually respects her bro and doesn't have a brother complex.
EvangelynnAug 26, 2019 11:56 AM
Aug 26, 2019 12:01 PM

Feb 2019
Ferien said:
Steins; Gate : I literally dislike the whole cast of this show, with the exception of the future girl (forgot her name), the only character here that wasn't either annoying, boring or retarded.

You're referring to Suzuha Amane right? She's probably the second best girl in the show.
Aug 26, 2019 7:15 PM

Feb 2019
Literally only watched My Hero Academia because of All Might's motivational epic moments.
“EL PSY CONGROO!!!” ― Hououin Kyouma
Aug 26, 2019 8:04 PM

Jun 2016
Dunno if it's least fav but I really hate Kud & Komari from Little Busters. But I love the male cast, especially Kengo
Aug 27, 2019 12:16 AM
Jun 2019
I can tolerate Nanachi (and Regu to a lesser extent) from Made in Abyss, all the other characters are either forgettable or annoying (looking at you Riko)
Aug 27, 2019 4:48 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Almost every other character in Boku no Hero Academia range from mediocre to decent, but Bakugou should rot in the deepest pits of hell. Fuck him, fuck that dude so much, I hate him with every single fibre of my being. Hell, even Shinji Matou is a better human being than him. I sincerely hope that somebody does god’s work and kill him.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

37 by Strayfe »»
4 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

26 by Lizsaki »»
6 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 8 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
7 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 10 hours ago

42 by Vendicator »»
14 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

42 by TRC_Randy »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.