Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Aug 21, 2019 12:42 PM

Mar 2018
Finally, the plot twist is here as I suspected!
Now that was quite the fun talk between Quitterrie and Zack, haha, priceless! I want to hear the full Music Box OST of that talk, so soothing.
And that despair from Polina when she heard the current year... I'm so going to enjoy this ride!

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Aug 21, 2019 12:47 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I was not surprised at all. They look so much alike.

That confession scene was so awkward, lol.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 21, 2019 12:49 PM

Apr 2018
I'm glad to see how this adaptation is turning out; yes, there're some quotes and scenes cut off, such as in Paulina's shocking reaction, but since there'd be only 12 episodes they've to reorganize some aspects of the story.

Overall, it's a good adaptation in the end! ^^
Aug 21, 2019 1:04 PM

Jun 2017
Not really surprising since Quitterrie and Funi looked the same from the get go.

Loved the marriage proposal, Zack was real chill about it, confused even since he remembered anyway lmao.
Aug 21, 2019 1:26 PM
Feb 2019
Was expecting to learn something about Siera and Aries maybe about the blood part but maybe next ep. Will anime adapt all chapters as last planet next episode probally and only a few more episodes.
Aug 21, 2019 1:53 PM

Sep 2013
Anyone else ever sleep for 12 years and feel like they didn't get enough sleep?
Aug 21, 2019 2:25 PM

Sep 2011
They could fix their ship using Polina's ship as expected. And it was kind of silly to really low their guards while standing in a place where people disappeared, but at least they survived and she got closure. I do wonder what she thought was going to happen, I'm sure she wasn't just "confused" when she questioned Yunhua like that.

And Zack had it rough with his father too. Poor Quitterie though, using all of her courage to say that her dream is to marry him, and he already took it for granted because of a previous promise they made. xD And it seems that Funi is Quitterie's clone or something akin to it. There's only one planet left and then they will be home.
Aug 21, 2019 2:36 PM

Apr 2019
requiett said:
Anyone else ever sleep for 12 years and feel like they didn't get enough sleep?

happens every time
the more you sleep the less you feel like you got any sleep
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 21, 2019 3:10 PM

Jul 2013
“I know a bunch of adults died there, so let’s board our newly repaired ship and go explore this dangerous area without any knowledge and preparation. I’m sure that would be a great idea.”
Aug 21, 2019 4:19 PM

Feb 2010
TheDopplerEffect said:
Master_Geass said:

But the official translation has her name as Pauline. This was taken from Viz's website.

Official doesn't mean correct. I've read plenty of manga and watched plenty of anime where official translation was plain wrong. For instance. I've read one piece for like 300 chapters before finding out that it's actually Zoro, not Zolo.

Regardless I'm still going to keep calling her Pauline. This anime does put some emphasis on the romanization of the names, as indicated by the OP and all the anagrams. You'll also have trouble convincing someone that a person's first and last name have to be of the same nationally who's own first and last names are of different nationalities.

I guess you could turn the subtitles off and listen to the anime to figure out how to say her name.
Aug 21, 2019 4:35 PM

Nov 2017
Master_Geass said:
TheDopplerEffect said:

Official doesn't mean correct. I've read plenty of manga and watched plenty of anime where official translation was plain wrong. For instance. I've read one piece for like 300 chapters before finding out that it's actually Zoro, not Zolo.

Regardless I'm still going to keep calling her Pauline. This anime does put some emphasis on the romanization of the names, as indicated by the OP and all the anagrams. You'll also have trouble convincing someone that a person's first and last name have to be of the same nationally who's own first and last names are of different nationalities.

I guess you could turn the subtitles off and listen to the anime to figure out how to say her name.

Well, Japanese Wikipedia claims her name is ポリーナ, so it seems pretty clear cut to me. Translators just didn't know that name and decided not to bother
Aug 21, 2019 4:57 PM
Sep 2017
Just to clarify what didn't happen? What was Polina talking about?
Aug 21, 2019 5:32 PM

Dec 2016
Wow, color me surprised, they are clones

It's been so blatantly mentioned in previous episodes, that the whole cloning and memory transfer scham is beyond the point of being a revelation, much less something the main characters should be surprised or shocked with their cheesy overreactions.

I like romance anime, like most others, but good lord, that confesion scene with Quittery and Zac was beyond the highest cringe levels, but the fact that the author and the show is very self aware that it's cringe with it's humor just makes it even worse.

Zacks explanation that the both spaceships landing in the very same area are highly posible is a bunch of bologny. Were talking of an ecuator posibly as wide as a small city and were not even talking about the circunference lenght and the high posibility to land on the other side of the planet, yet both ships are almost just a couple of steps one from the other.

Hey it's like building a big lego toy.

Why the hell does Aries comes up with this kind of solution when our 200iq-kun genius didn't think of the most logical one if he's allegedly the nerdiest knowledgeable nerd in the whole galaxy? just pure contrived convenience for him to lose the eye on the ball. I would have kinda bought the whole idea if anyone else from the crew would have suggested for salvaging spare parts from both ships to get out of their stranded situation and that would have triggered Zac's brain in order to come up with yet another fancy feature of a ship that can travel light years without recharging it's supply cells, interconnect a backup generator to the engines using a house cord electric extension and getting patched up with glue guns, can do.

The last bit with Kanata doing his weekly reckless bravado stunt just to get a dog tag makes this already cheap episode get worse. Polina already had one dog tag from his comrades, that was enough proof for them to know their teamates have been dead for so long and they should've hauled ass the very second those magical plants were a bag of problem.
KimurahAug 21, 2019 6:04 PM
Aug 21, 2019 5:47 PM
Mar 2015
Send in the clones
Aug 21, 2019 5:52 PM

Apr 2019
CiaranGames said:
Just to clarify what didn't happen? What was Polina talking about?

thats a spoiler, and will be answered anyway, most likely
You son of a .. turtle

Aug 21, 2019 7:57 PM

Jan 2011
2 bombshells dropped after dealing with the reveal of last weeks episode with Paulina the questions keep piling up like what didn't happen after all these years? and why the hell did someone clone Quitterrie granted it's been bugging me like crazy from the start with them saying they aren't related despite looking the same lol.

silly actions like them going back to the clearly dangerous spot let alone trying to get back a dog tag did bug me
Aug 21, 2019 9:03 PM

Dec 2018
kiii at both of tanned sisters being just whole one. Zac's dad and Quitterie's mother are connected to, right? Didn’t get that.

Sometimes i wonder where its series plot goes because its paths are clearly corny and cliche all over. Nonetheless, i lowkey wanna end this so im not gonna stop right here
Aug 21, 2019 9:10 PM

Jul 2016
Honestly, I was already missing Kanata's stupidity. Because of course it wouldn't be an episode of "Kanata no Astra" without Kanata, the suicidal guy, trying to risk his life for the smallest of reasons.

And by the way, I have to say this show never cease to amaze me when it comes to perfect plot conveniences. I mean, not only it was the same model of ship as theirs that landed in the same area but its parts which were intact were also the ones the Astra spaceship needed. Talk about ways to kill the tension but since I already supposed something like this would happen, I don't really care.

P.S.: So... uh... since Quitterie and Funi are the same person... does that mean Zack can have his way with Funi without it being cheating?
Aug 21, 2019 10:55 PM

Apr 2015
"they are the same person"
ZULUL
Aug 22, 2019 12:03 AM

Feb 2017
Nim0174 said:
Why did they cut Paulina's Dialogue, dafuq?
i really do NOT like that cut.
i wrapped that page in spoiler tags, but its not really a spoiler since its from this part
i think its pretty important and a nice line that adds value to the episode:

Ah but im glad we finally got to see a ship set sail in anime without it needing 5 million Episodes. Probably the fastest Ship of all time.
I love that part so much XD

They also skipped Chapter 32-35
which was the most important chapters in the entire series
they skipped complete chapters and changed scenes and how they got to the realization of funi and quitterie being the same person
i don't like it, i don't like that they did chapter 36 and that they rearranged it like that
its not that bad but still, it makes it feel slow paced because it makes this ep feel uneventful, which it shouldn't have been, i guess this just means the next eps will have that stuff but still

______

i recommend you look at the image i posted @Spaceship same to you @Tsarko
it will at least add a little bit more context they cut

Thanks for sharing that panel. Shame it didn't get in. Looking forward to see where this Polina stuff goes to.

One thing that got me thinking about her case is how did humans manage to settle all these plantes and make civilizations in just a span of 12 years? Polina was sent from Earth to search for habitable planets, right? So during her time all humans should have still lived on Earth? Also our protagonists are older than 12 years and they don't seem to be born on Earth. I don't remember them ever mentioning it as well. So our crew is either different species of humans from those on Earth or something with timeline is messed up.
Aug 22, 2019 12:30 AM
Oct 2018
I'm not reading the manga..but now I can see the big picture here. funi and quiiterie, 12 years, zack's father, poli nee san.
Aug 22, 2019 3:41 AM

Jun 2013
I'm guessing Funi is a clone of my favorite tsundere (actually the only tsundere) on the ship. She didn't inherit Quit's tsundereness though. I wouldn't be surprised if her own mother cloned her.

That Zack x Quiterrie moment was so forced. I ship them but it's like someone gave me an unseasoned chicken breast, dry as fuck, shoved it down my throat and forced me to say it was the most delicious thing I ever had even though it gave me tonsillitis.

I'm not sure if we can trust Polina. She is very suspect at this point.
臭い-
Aug 22, 2019 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
Awawawa same person, must be cloning!
Aug 22, 2019 6:39 AM

Feb 2014
Damn. I was in stitches with the marriage proposal scene. Quitterie was brave enough to spell out the obvious to Zack and his initial reaction to it was so emotionless that I burst out laughing. Thankfully, he DOES seem to be happy about it, since he had the almighty sparkles around him, though. =3

Anyway, the main focus of the episode was on Polina, as she was woken up from her 12 year sleep, although she went into a panic when she found out the year was 2063. It does make me feel that something bad will happen soon, but I'm only guessing at this point.

As for the Astra, they were able to fly the other Astra that Polina was in and swap its reactor part of the ship to replace the currant Astra's broken reactor part. Thankfully, the whole operation was a success and the crew are flying once again. =)

The other main talking point of the episode came right at the end when Zack did DNA tests on both Quitterie and Funi to see if they're biological sisters, which was my guess. I was proven wrong straight away as Zack revealed to Kanata that Quitterie and Funi are the SAME person. It pretty much means that Funi was cloned from Quitterie's DNA.

And with that in mind, comes along another tidal wave of questions and theories for the entire crew, but I don't want this post to be a wall of text, so I'll keep it to myself for now. Great episode once again. =)
Aug 22, 2019 6:47 AM
Jan 2019
they really know how the viewers should continue watching the anime every end of the episode is intense living mistery behind or it is just me?
any way that confession makes my heart pound faster than ever
RIP to those side characters who died on that planet (lol)
Aug 22, 2019 10:58 AM

Feb 2010
fallingfromsky said:
kiii at both of tanned sisters being just whole one. Zac's dad and Quitterie's mother are connected to, right? Didn’t get that.

Sometimes i wonder where its series plot goes because its paths are clearly corny and cliche all over. Nonetheless, i lowkey wanna end this so im not gonna stop right here

Jed and Olive apparently live in the name neighborhood. Zack and Quitterie apparently grew up together. The anime cut this, but after the meeting let out Jed walked Olive home and started hitting on her, although she was having none of that. She also didn't want him walking to close because the girls at the hospital were already asking when they were going to get married. Jed also ships Zack and Quitterie, but I can't tell how serious he was and Olive found it in poor taste.
Aug 22, 2019 12:01 PM

Oct 2009
Anoo-Domini said:

RIP to those side characters who died on that planet (lol)

So after reading some comments here I take a look at the dogtags again just to make sure..

Something fishy..
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 22, 2019 12:06 PM

Feb 2010
azzuRe said:
So after reading some comments here I take a look at the dogtags again just to make sure..

Something fishy..

That would make him about 39 when he died. I'm having trouble making out his last name given the shine. I keep thinking Walker.
Aug 22, 2019 12:49 PM
Nov 2018
So funny that Zack doesn't consider Quietterie's confession a big revelation. Because in his mind they were already getting married, so why is she making a big fuss? They had already decided.

All this time that has been his assumption, and he just keeps going without any hand-holding or other useless distractions.

I think we can safely say by now that they are clones by their parents. Or possibly some are clones of others: Like Aries being a replacement for Seira, who fell to her death. Now that there is a law for everyone's DNA to be registered, the clones had to be disposed of to hide the truth.

Zack's dad doesn't seem to see his kid clone as a son. So maybe they were going to transfer their minds into the clones.
Aug 22, 2019 3:07 PM

Oct 2012
Well, bu of course, they're all clones, that plot point was clear even since episode 1.

Honestly, right now I'm more interested about the last planet rather than all the mystery and what happens when they get home.
Aug 22, 2019 3:22 PM

Oct 2012
Quitterie x Zack sailing~
It was so dumb of them to go to the place where they *know* people died/lost contact. It would obviously be a dangerous place... But anyway.
I guess they were searching for other planets humans could live because 12 years ago a disaster was predicted?
Funi being Quitterie's clone confirmed?!?!
Aug 22, 2019 3:42 PM

Feb 2010
Mich666 said:
Well, bu of course, they're all clones, that plot point was clear even since episode 1.

Honestly, right now I'm more interested about the last planet rather than all the mystery and what happens when they get home.

What in the first episode made that clear? Aries doesn't even look like her mother.
Aug 22, 2019 4:48 PM

Jul 2016
Good episode, the woman awakes and she is surprised that its 12years has pass. The mystery in the show is keeps on to be good. They repaired the Astra by combining the part of other ship. And with that they sucessful take off the ship to space. And that last scene. Overall good and fun series. To the next episode

Aug 22, 2019 6:51 PM

Nov 2011
Yo Kanata is my boy! he just gets better by the week.

Zack was hilarious this week though.

Polina is hiding some shit from them. It's weird though because at first she was thrilled to be able to go back to earth...but in those 12 years was earth supposed to experience something? It makes sense considering her crew were looking for another planet to live on.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Aug 22, 2019 8:31 PM

Dec 2009
Now the cloning stuff is getting going yeep.

Master_Geass said:
azzuRe said:

Something fishy..

That would make him about 39 when he died. I'm having trouble making out his last name given the shine. I keep thinking Walker.

It says Glenn Baker.
2012? Seattle Washington? nanidafuq
Well i guess the story isn't set that far in the future, that's not that odd now that i think about it... Almost sounds like shit like this might happen in my lifetime, hahaha!

Though honestly this sounds more like a Macross type of timeline where everything is shifted implausably early. Interstellar travel in 30 years? AIN'T BUYIN IT.
GenesisAriaAug 22, 2019 8:47 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Aug 22, 2019 9:19 PM
Jun 2017
One last planet to go...

And that final part... where they talked about the DNa result...ohh how i am so interested on what will happen on this one
Aug 22, 2019 10:58 PM

Oct 2016
-I felt really bad for Polina. I guess that news would make anyone faint.
-So the two ships are of the same type and have different parts damaged. Looks like our crew has found a way off of this planet.
>Polina: "Nothing happened!?"
What did she mean by this?
-All the yays and yahoos during the cheering were pretty funny.
-That plant scene was actually pretty creepy. That came out of nowhere, haha.
-Zack shutting down Quitterie multiple times was pretty funny.
-That drawing scene was really sad. Poor Zack.
-That flashback was really funny.
-The action scene in this episode came and went really fast. Not really a good or bad thing. Just a point.
So this episode ends with a big twist. Quitterie and Funicia are the same person. Very interesting. I guess it explains a lot, but it also creates a lot more questions. I'm actually anticipating next week's episode now.
Also
They skipped a lot of stuff. Like a whole little side story involving Funicia and Kanata.

Tellatez said:
Did anyone notice that the op changed a little, when they showed the characters parents two new characters were added and two were removed.

I felt like something was off with the opening, but my source has only had the opening in like 3 episodes, so I just passed it off as me thinking wrong.

TheDopplerEffect said:
Nim0174 said:
btw its Paulina not Polino or Polina
k
if it was in your subs thats wrong xD

Exept it IS Polina, couldn't be anything else. If her last name is anything to go by, then she's russian and Paulina isn't a russian name. Conveniently, Polina actually is one.

I thought so too, given the same logic, I'm not Russian, but I do know that "-skaya" is a common prefix for Slavic surnames. The wiki does have her listed as "Paulina", but I'm sure that's just another case of Anglicization. Either way, the version I watch has her named as "Polina", so I'll personally keep calling her that. Seems to be correct anyway.

Master_Geass said:
TheDopplerEffect said:

Exept it IS Polina, couldn't be anything else. If her last name is anything to go by, then she's russian and Paulina isn't a russian name. Conveniently, Polina actually is one.

But the official translation has her name as Pauline. This was taken from Viz's website.

That doesn't necessarily mean it is correct. You have to consider that the name was translated from Japanese script by English speakers who probably used the Anglicized version of Polina.
So here's the steps.
Russian name is written in Japanese.
Russian name is translated by English speakers incorrectly.
But we know she is Russian because of her last name.
Polina is more than likely the correct version.

Aug 23, 2019 11:41 AM

Dec 2014
his series gets better by each passing episode...why isn't it rated higher
Aug 23, 2019 11:52 AM

May 2018
So, Quitterie and Funi were clones, there is no doubt about that. but from what Paulina said about nothing has change when Yahua mentioned about the year, I guess we can say that when Paulina left earth it was the year 2063 and she was probably that it was still 2063 when them teens left their planet it was still 2063, as if them people their were reliving the year over and over again.

Aug 23, 2019 1:39 PM

Dec 2016
The child memory of Quitterie and Zack got me laughting XD that was cute but Zack's seriousness was too much. Couldn't believe my ears the way he told her with that serious look about their promisse that they are going to marry even though they were kids at that time. The couple is real!

So now they are real sisters? That was too obvious! -w-

Nice episode ^^ Big sister Polina is beautiful!

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Aug 23, 2019 2:40 PM
Jan 2019
Wow! Great episode, but what a shocking end of the episode. They always leave me intrigued. This anime reaches a new level with each episode, without a doubt, it is one of the best anime of the season for its unique story and plot, it really is a little gem.

Something tells me that Polina's mission was to save humanity from imminent destruction, so they were given the mission to find new habitable planets. I think she is Russian.

On the other hand, and much more shocking, is the fact that Funicia is a clone of Quitterie. I already said that it was strange that they are not real sisters, did not anyone in the crew find that strange? Well, I can't wait for the next episode. They will hide or tell you the truth.

Hahaha, a scene that I found very funny and somewhat emotional in this episode, was Quitterie's declaration of love for Zack about getting married. He took it so calmly, LOL es, he is a man of his word, I admire him for that.
Zack, is one of my favorite characters in this anime. If he and Kanata crew a ship in the future, they will be a great team, and I hope they get a new anime season about it, hahaha.
Aug 23, 2019 3:41 PM
Jul 2018
Saw that ending coming. Marriage talk was cute.
Aug 23, 2019 5:30 PM

Aug 2014
This anime legit strives on those cliffhangers, this was a great episode. I hope the anime covers the manga fully and ends in a very good way.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Aug 24, 2019 2:13 AM

Aug 2017
So, Funicia was a clone of Quitterie.

It seems that Paulina's suit is a bit old, I think.

Of course, the explanation of why that ship was there was forced buuuut I'm curious about Paulina now, did she lost track of time or its something else?

Also, Astra having the ability to split into parts was so stupid lmao.

That marriage proposal was hilarious.
NurguburuAug 24, 2019 2:22 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 24, 2019 3:16 AM
Nov 2016
This anime is getting stupid ridiculous.

They get in an accident and another ship that just happens to be the same exact type and just coincidentally has a different part of the ship damaged than theirs and lookie here, the ships just so happen to be able to split off in sections and they just so happen to be able to fit each other without a problem even though both ships had been damaged.

And come on, he went after the ID tags from some unknown creature that is trying to kill them? No flippin way.
Aug 24, 2019 3:52 AM

Jan 2013
Zack really has no business trash-talking his father's emotionless eyes lol
Aug 24, 2019 9:57 AM

Sep 2013
The clone reveal could be seen easily. The real wonder is why they're getting married when what's been shown of their relationship isn't all that good.
Aug 24, 2019 7:05 PM

Oct 2008
oh really!? Funicia & Quitterie are the same person meaning they are clones meaning they have same DNA structures!?
4/5.

Aug 25, 2019 10:54 AM

Apr 2016
Probably this is the best episode of the series until now. I've really liked it.
Aug 25, 2019 4:36 PM
May 2018
Does Anyone how many chapters adapted until now ?
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

347 by naturalbrawler »»
Mar 20, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

201 by naturalbrawler »»
Jan 3, 12:55 AM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

168 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.