Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Aug 19, 2019 9:25 PM

Jun 2015
Hey y'all, just wanted to see if anyone noticed this as well... I'm 20 episodes into Kimetsu no Yaiba - the animation is terrific, the action is great, as is the voice acting... but.... I keep noticing a pattern. Whenever women are killed/hurt, be it demon or otherwise, we see extreme brutality on the screen. Their insides melt and it's super graphic, they burn to death, get their faces ripped off... I could go on. YET, when the men expire it's done very quickly or off screen.

I'm not trying to make this into anything but I noticed the same thing with HunterxHunter (which I enjoyed very much!!!) I usually just fast forward or close my eyes/mute the sound but I just don't understand this direction.

I'd give this show a higher rating but I'm disturbed by the violence against women! Is it just me?
{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
My favorite anime: Sailor Moon, Noragami, Kamisama Kiss, Carole & Tuesday, HunterxHunter, & Little Witch Academia.
{~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~}
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 19, 2019 9:35 PM

Jan 2009
i do not notice that lol and actually the author of the manga of this (the source material) is a woman too btw and heck a certain character in the OP that have not enough screen time will have more brutally upon him anyway
Aug 19, 2019 9:38 PM

Apr 2018
i can see douma (upper moon 2) would be your 'favorite' character lol.

Joke aside. I think it not just the women, the death for men is also very brutal. See episode 18, Episode 4 And episode 16 and even in episode 20 we seen a lot of demon slayers got sliced into pieces.
Jfs_Aug 19, 2019 9:58 PM
Aug 19, 2019 9:40 PM

Jan 2009
Jfs_ said:
i can see douma (upper moon 2) would be your 'favorite' character lol.

lol detailing more of that will be spoiler but i agree

and also the brutal web slicing of Rui alone is usually against males too
Aug 19, 2019 10:26 PM
Nov 2008
That's totally not cool, and over-the-top straight up gore to the point of psychotic. Some of these studios are definitely obsessed with depicting violence towards women, extreme violence of the demented nature.
Aug 19, 2019 10:33 PM

Jul 2014
You realize that in almost every single anime production its usually the opposite. Violence towards women is shown as over the top and dramatic while men dying in the most brutal ways possible happens without notice because you're subconsciously used to it.

Everyone has this subconscious bias it's been built up over years and years of media exposure be it regular television, anime, movies, etc. I'd recommend just trying your best to look past it.
Aug 19, 2019 10:36 PM

Jan 2016
this is a bruh discussion.
Aug 19, 2019 10:50 PM

Nov 2011
Try watching Index next.

Aug 19, 2019 10:54 PM

Jun 2016
Akaza is pro woman lol.

Aug 20, 2019 1:19 AM
Oct 2012
Aerchan said:
Hey y'all, just wanted to see if anyone noticed this as well... I'm 20 episodes into Kimetsu no Yaiba - the animation is terrific, the action is great, as is the voice acting... but.... I keep noticing a pattern. Whenever women are killed/hurt, be it demon or otherwise, we see extreme brutality on the screen. Their insides melt and it's super graphic, they burn to death, get their faces ripped off... I could go on. YET, when the men expire it's done very quickly or off screen.

I'm not trying to make this into anything but I noticed the same thing with HunterxHunter (which I enjoyed very much!!!) I usually just fast forward or close my eyes/mute the sound but I just don't understand this direction.

I'd give this show a higher rating but I'm disturbed by the violence against women! Is it just me?

Nah, the brutality men get is the same; but yes there was domestic abuse to the women in the Natagumo Mountain arc. The author is a woman and she tries to move away the tropes where 'women shouldn't be able to fight' 'women can only fight women', etc.
Aug 20, 2019 1:21 AM

Nov 2018
Perhaps these studios don't care about gender and they treat women the same as men, something called 'equality', who knows?

Of course I don't care who gets killed in what fashion because these depictions aren't meant to represent real life, they're fiction.

I bet you don't bat an eyelid if a male character were in the same position and gets brutally killed.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 20, 2019 1:32 AM

May 2018
Kaiser-kun said:
Try watching Index next.
xD, i love the index series so much but people who can't stand to watch violence against women will never enjoy it.
Aug 20, 2019 1:38 AM

May 2018
Aerchan said:

Both male and female in this show die with brutality.
are you really going to complain that the writer and the studio treat both male and female equally? this entire discussion is stupid, it's a good thing they treat both gender the same even in the bad parts like how they are killed.
Aug 20, 2019 1:58 AM

May 2014
I'm watching the show, but this never even crossed my mind. I haven't taken notice of the man/woman brutal death ratio. But didn't one guy literally get sliced into pieces recently? And a bunch had their necks broken?

The author of Demon Slayer is a women if that makes it any better for you.
Aug 20, 2019 2:16 AM

Apr 2018
Seeing beautiful women brutally killed isn't a pleasent view but violence is an integral part of the reality. And unfortunately, it doesn't apply only to the anime world
Aug 20, 2019 3:25 AM
Feb 2015
This forum makes me hate life more
Aug 20, 2019 4:05 AM

Oct 2015
I think you should watch Once Upon A Time in Hollywood. It's quite the treat for woman lovers (particularly towards the end).
NostalgikAug 20, 2019 4:13 AM
Aug 20, 2019 4:31 AM

Dec 2013
I hadn't noticed any of this at all.
Aug 20, 2019 4:36 AM

Jan 2015
What?
Okay then 💀💀💀
Aug 20, 2019 4:55 AM

Nov 2018
Rider9530 said:
Aerchan said:

are you really going to complain that the writer and the studio treat both male and female equally? this entire discussion is stupid, it's a good thing they treat both gender the same even in the bad parts like how they are killed.

It's only equality when it suits them and they have no complaints

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Aug 20, 2019 5:10 AM

Oct 2015
Hm, I haven't watched it so I can't comment on the legitimacy but maybe the author was trying to counteract the opposite trope which appears to be more prevalent.
Aug 20, 2019 5:39 AM

Aug 2019
I mean.. the author is a woman so this kinda makes this entire thread a weird one, also, like others are pointnig out.. Theres equal violence against everyone, are we watching the same thing?
Byleth-KunAug 20, 2019 5:43 AM
Aug 20, 2019 5:46 AM

May 2018
_cjessop18_ said:
Rider9530 said:

I would agree with you if you said it on almost every other series but i don't think its correct on this one because the writer is a female herself so she has no reason to write it in a discriminatory way.
Aug 20, 2019 5:47 AM

Aug 2019
@Riderr9530

Most Shonen authors aren't trying to be discriminatory to begin with, regardless of gender.
Aug 20, 2019 6:24 AM
Nov 2008
Lel0uchZer0 said:
slicepop31 said:
That's totally not cool, and over-the-top straight up gore to the point of psychotic. Some of these studios are definitely obsessed with depicting violence towards women, extreme violence of the demented nature.

Go see a damn doctor
Nobody cares about what genitals tge character has..get over it

Lel0uchZer0 said:
Aerchan said:

There are lots of thing with this show i don't like but holy shit your point is so dumb

Calm down madman I can see the veins popping out your head from here.
Aug 20, 2019 6:32 AM
Feb 2017
Aerchan said:
I'd give this show a higher rating but I'm disturbed by the violence against women!

Yet if it's violence against men, you're okay with it?
Aug 20, 2019 6:38 AM
Nov 2008
Lel0uchZer0 said:

I can see the veins popping out your head when you see a scene where women get hit by a men in a fucking anime
Get over it. Women don't often die in anime (same for this one)...not compared to how often men die...so shut the front door.

Hey just because you love seeing female characters stripped and eaten and beat up by male characters doesn't mean everybody is going to get a rise out of that too. If you're like this here I can only imagine what you're like watching females get beat by men in live action lol
Aug 20, 2019 7:41 AM

Nov 2018
Rider9530 said:
_cjessop18_ said:

I would agree with you if you said it on almost every other series but i don't think its correct on this one because the writer is a female herself so she has no reason to write it in a discriminatory way.

So it's discriminatory to have it so that a female character is brutally killed? Wouldn't you say the same thing for male characters then? Or is that just double standards?

Aug 20, 2019 9:24 AM

Dec 2018
This is such a troll thread. Fate/Stay Night UBW's Ilya death scene is promoting violence against little girls? Full Metal Alchemist's Lust death scene promotes violence against women? Almost every anime containing action promotes violence? Video games promote violence? Why is the poster even on myanimelist then, almost all animes are promoting some form of sexual harassment or violence if one is to take such an extreme view.
Aug 20, 2019 9:34 AM

Jul 2014
I haven't noticed, this just makes me want to support her work more.
Aug 20, 2019 9:36 AM

Jul 2017
I never noticed that in hunter hunter, you're probably only remembering when it happened to women more or it's just a coincidence. haven't seen this anime yet but in HxH, I don't think it's the case, male character die a lot on screen just as much as women.

also, violence isn't a flaw, it's a part of the anime. now if you dislike it it's just you, you can't consider violence a flaw.
Aug 20, 2019 9:42 AM

May 2018
Yeah the author is misogynist. Notice how the 3 main characters are male and reak of toxic masculinity? pig face is a macho who has too much testosterone, blonde guy is womanizing soyboy and MC is a typical idiotic male MC. Nezuko is almost never there, and she's not even human anymore. Also notice how they reversed the roles of the spiders (the female spiders are suppose to be stronger than male spiders)
Aug 20, 2019 9:48 AM

Jan 2015
Only_Brad said:
Yeah the author is misogynist. Notice how the 3 main characters are male and reak of toxic masculinity? pig face is a macho who has too much testosterone, blonde guy is womanizing soyboy and MC is a typical idiotic male MC. Nezuko is almost never there, and she's not even human anymore. Also notice how they reversed the roles of the spiders (the female spiders are suppose to be stronger than male spiders)

Lmao what? The author is a woman
Aug 20, 2019 9:56 AM
Jul 2009
Only_Brad said:

Nice one, birdbrain. You couldnt be dumber if you tried. Author is a woman, BTW
Aug 20, 2019 9:59 AM

May 2015
I'm rolling my eyes very hard right now...

Aug 20, 2019 10:18 AM
Aug 20, 2019 11:00 AM

Aug 2019

It aint misogyny at all mate, both male and female are killed off pretty graphically and the main trio are constantly beaten to near death by demons, I guess we're just gonna ignore all the times tanjiro got beaten to a bloody pulp, zenitsu almost turning into a spider demon, and inosuke getting his shit kicked in by one of the spider demons for "muh agenda", arent we?
Byleth-KunAug 20, 2019 11:15 AM
Aug 20, 2019 11:01 AM

Sep 2018
Go watch Berserk, its not really disturbing and espeacially the violence against women is low. There are just a few slightly graphic scenes:

As you could guess Berserk is family friendly.

I don't really know how anyone has problems with violence against WOMEN or violence in a entertaiment medium in general, the gender plays no role how disturbing something is, but i guess thats just me i don't really find anything disturbing as long as its fiction.

Maybe i got r/wooosshed here i dont fucking know.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
ArdanazAug 28, 2019 12:03 PM
Aug 20, 2019 2:06 PM
Jul 2018
For the love of God, please don't SJW (social justice warrior) anime now! Leave anime out of any SJW topics.
Aug 20, 2019 4:07 PM
Jul 2009

Youre just really that dumb, huh? If you want to be an SJW, at least do it to a manga thats actually political or contain social criticism. Doing it here just make you look dumber than you already are
Aug 20, 2019 4:16 PM

Aug 2019
Only_Brad said:

I'm not sure if this is a shitpost or not.
Aug 20, 2019 5:38 PM

May 2018
xenosys said:
Only_Brad said:

Oh I forgot to mention. One of the strongest demon slayers who is a woman happens to be unable to cut off demon heads. Author is literally saying that women are weak.

:^)
Aug 20, 2019 6:04 PM

Apr 2013
not sure if trolling or just stupid
Aug 20, 2019 6:36 PM

Feb 2013
RavBTW said:
not sure if trolling or just stupid
What's the difference?
Aug 20, 2019 9:00 PM

Aug 2019
Only_Brad said:
xenosys said:

Oh I forgot to mention. One of the strongest demon slayers who is a woman happens to be unable to cut off demon heads. Author is literally saying that women are weak.

You understand strength isn't just dictated by how hard you can swing a sword? Shinobu's pretty terrifying as an opponent, and that has nothing to do what she has between her legs.

Internalised misogyny? Toxic masculinity? I wasn't sure about your post earlier because it contains all of the cliche buzzwords that a typical 3rd wave feminist/male feminist would use. Next you'll be telling me the patriarchy is to blame for this horribly misogynistic anime.

Aug 20, 2019 9:36 PM
Jul 2019
@Aerchan

really? I didn't even notice. this show never struck me as particularly gory , compared to attack on titan or something.

this is a fictional story, so I don't really see the point in watching it with the lense of your real-world leftist political views.

If you can't separate the two, and you're constantly looking for political incorrectness, even in fictional stories, then you won't enjoy the good things in life, like a good story for example.

it seems to me that you're possessed by your leftist ideology, in which case I pitty you. or you're trolling, hopefully you're trolling.
Aug 20, 2019 11:27 PM

May 2015
Only_Brad said:
xenosys said:

cough cough Kanroji Mitsuri cough cough,even Kanao is strong af,btw yes women have an esile body so normally they are weaker than males,stop saying stupid things,all this fucking feminists needs to get help.
nanashi796Aug 20, 2019 11:33 PM
Aug 21, 2019 12:02 AM

Dec 2016
Only_Brad said:

Bahahahaha, those are some of the dumbest things i ever read. This person clearly lack comprehension skill and can only see thing through his or her tainted lense. It like he/she completely misread the character of the 3 boy.

1. MC is a typical idiot male: Naive? Yes. Idiot? No. You probably don't even watch this show and just come to that conclusion cause this is a shounen

2. pig face is a macho who has too much testosterone: You kinda miss out the fact that he raise by boar with barely any human contact. That guy basically a cross between Tarzan and Cubone. He completely don't understand many concept of human society. His character grow come from him learn more about human society and embrace the his human part.

3. blonde guy is womanizing soyboy: Did you miss the fact that everyone give him shit over that and he slowly grow out of that? Also isn't been fearful is a very unmanly trait. Don't just pick the part of the character that support your opinion while ignore the part that don't.
Aug 21, 2019 3:12 AM

Jul 2013
Am I supposed to take this thread and some of the comments here seriously or not? Because I'm willing to waste my time explaining things if these aren't bait.
Aug 21, 2019 3:32 AM

Nov 2015
Yeah but why is it a big deal?
It's a violence anime and violent against both men and women
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Gurenge becomes top selling digital single song in Reiwa era

FZREMAKE - Apr 15

16 by FZREMAKE »»
Yesterday, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2019

301 by pyrophilia »»
Yesterday, 1:10 AM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 10, 2019

1094 by pyrophilia »»
Yesterday, 12:26 AM

Poll: » Shinobou or Mitsuri?

Reckless_weeb - Mar 25, 2022

42 by Qui-gon »»
Apr 10, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Kimetsu no Yaiba Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2019

528 by pyrophilia »»
Apr 8, 10:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.