Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Feb 10, 2019 8:23 PM

Aug 2018
EOE reminded me how much I disliked Shinji. He has to be the most annoying whiner on the planet. If I was Tang I’d stay Tang just so I wouldn’t have to deal with that kid. I hope Asuka gives him hell for all eternity.
NoviSunFeb 10, 2019 8:27 PM
May 17, 2019 1:34 PM
Apr 2016
Well, that was really really really disappointing. Expected a real closure, after all we went through, instead we got this plotless garbage, an attempt to express the show in a artistic way, but instead it's just a messy crap.

@Rei366 season one was great, the sequel movie was horrid.
May 18, 2019 2:36 AM

Dec 2015
@2ego Ahah, if satisfied with the TV series, one should never watch this right after it.
It took me a few months and two more seances of this movie to be able to appreciate things in it (although I still don't like it). And many years to recognize all of its interesting/good aspects (apart from the obviously perfect animation and different drawing style). The Giant Naked Rei-Lillith rebukes me too much. ^^'
Anyway, "congratulations".

(By "season1", you do mean the TV show? it's a full-length series, there are no seasons, so I'm not sure)

@SomaHeir
"Rei has merged with Adam and is now reborn as "Lilith"?"
She was actually born from Lillith (as well as being a Yui clone). She "went back" to Lillith while merging with Adam (stored in Gendo's hand) and became a giant nake fusion of Adam, Lillith and herself. Known as GNR (or Giant Naked Rei) over the Internet.

April 20, 2020
@Kajo_Senpai69 Your original assumption was right: the TV series alone was sufficient in getting peoples to piss on the character. It could make the reinforcement of Shinji's trait look like a response to that, just like the fan dreams characters of 2.0 and their subsequent heightened versions in 3.0 (but I don't think the original audience received TV Shinji that way so it must be a coincidence)

Mai 12, 2020
@hirmes The world wasn't destroyed. All humanity converged into some "egg" (the "moon" in Giant Naked Rei-Lillith's hands), reduced to LCL. A "soup" of life with no separate identities. It was kind of the Impact's goal. Shinji accepted it...
... but then not anymore, so he left the choice to everyone to "reappear" based on their own will.

May 14, 2020
@SilverLeo Actually, you'll hear Anno state it himself, if my memory serves me well. (example: in a NHK show)

October 21, 2020
@Figva The Lance of Longinus is unique and was an important part of the final Plan, remember how annoyed the old men (the SEELE) were that Gendô spoiled it by using it as a weapon on one of the Angels (Fuyutsuki even points out to Gendô that he shouldn't). Those were engineered replicas, we can presume.
Not sure what you think was missing about Rei (the last bit of questioning we could have thanks to the ep24 revelation was cleared out with the film spelling out the information).

As for the final minutes, as they state, everybody is free to come back again. Shinji and Asuka are simply the first ones (but yes, they could also be the only ones to choose it).

Glad you appreciated the "Third Impact" of japanese animation.
Rei_IIIOct 21, 2020 9:46 AM
Jun 9, 2019 2:27 AM

Dec 2014
i just completed EOE and now my mind is totally fucked
NGE and EOE are great but i would not consider it a masterpiece
im glad, the theme and philosophy explored in this series didnt come off as edgy, but something to really think about...

i want to watch something like EOE so, any such anime recommendation is appreciated
Send me Friend requests!!!!
Jun 17, 2019 4:54 PM

Jul 2016
I enjoyed this movie a lot.
Jun 22, 2019 8:11 AM

Jul 2016
Rei366 said:
@Optigisa No way to confirm the reception, so: "Noted."
(over for good)

Thanks, I guess..
Jun 25, 2019 7:03 AM
May 2017
One of the worst things I've ever watched. Edgy, preachy, and pretentious as fuck. Awful, straight up awful. The crazy part is that I actually enjoyed NGE, and this movie did nothing but leave a bad taste in my mouth when I think of the series now.

I'm just gonna pretend this EoE is an alternate timeline or some bullshit. Not that it matters what I think when the movie was pure bullshit anyway.
Jun 27, 2019 12:35 AM

Sep 2014
Can't say I love this ending, but then again I've never been fond of vague, "Well what do you YOU think?", type endings, so I kinda went into re-watching this series with that already in my mind. That part of it really hasn't changed for me in like the past 15+ years.

That said, where originally the show mostly interested me for just its style and action, nowadays I'm also into the humor and character interactions of the show a lot more, so I can say I do like Evangelion more than I did. Even the new dub sorta changed things for me, in that all I really remembered about Evangelion was how annoying Shinji was, but the new dub made him way more palatable, but I think this ended up then turning my ire more squarely on Asuka who is just awful. Girl needed a real stern talking to lol I'm also not a fan of the deeper, psychological, elements the show brings up, because that's never been something that has interested me, but it never bothered me too much outside of Episode 25 and 26.

So overall, I enjoy this series, even if it's not a favorite of mine due to some of the faults with the plot and known issues the series dealt with towards its latter half.

Gonna be interesting going from this to Rebuild once I get the full available set to dive into.
KamikazeKeegJun 27, 2019 12:43 AM
Jun 28, 2019 10:58 PM

Jun 2016
God. I just finished my third? fourth? viewing this movie, and it's still just as amazing and powerful this time as it was the first time I saw it.

I realized/noticed a few more things this time, like how Misato giving Shinji her necklace was meant to parallel how Misato's father gave her the necklace, and that the city shown during the live action sequence was meant to be Tokyo-3 (they even edited the buildings to look like the ones in the show, as you can see here.) I also noticed that Keel Lorenz and Kinzo Ushiromiya have the same VA, which was pretty surprising since they seem like radically different characters.

...As I think on it more, the thing with the necklace was probably pretty obvious. In my defense, the movie is so tightly woven and packed with imagery and whatnot that it's hard to pick one singular thing from it. Also it's been like three years since I last watched this movie.
gotterdammerungJun 28, 2019 11:48 PM
Jun 30, 2019 3:17 PM

Nov 2012
AND THUS THE HEAVENS SHALL KNOW OF MANKIND'S WILL TO LIVE. TO OVERCOME, TO PROGRESS, TO EXPERIENCE, TO FEEL... THAT IS HUMANITY.

A singular existence of eternal happiness and true understanding might as well not exist. Without progression/regression (a movement of one's position in reality) and experiences (one's interaction with their reality that validates both one's existence/identity and the existence of said reality), there is nothing. Shinji expressed that the feelings he had felt were real, and simultaneously in the TV series he realized that he could learn to find value for himself. He accepts the joys and struggles that come with a human existence as they intrinsically possess value and are worth pursuing/experiencing. To accept Human Instrumentality would be to run away from challenges, something that he had struggled against all throughout the show. In the later half of the show, his introspections had concluded that running away from despair and seeking refuge in a happier and less worrisome place was an act of escaping from reality because he was too weak to accept it. Human Instrumentality would have been such a refuge, albeit applied on a grand scale, everyone having surrendered themselves in order to obtain an ignorant bliss forever stagnant and fruitless. His rejection of it symbolizes at long last his acceptance to face reality and embrace all that it has to offer for better or worse. Confront reality, endure, overcome, and achieve. That provides existence with value and meaning. Otherwise, existence will merely be but a simple occurrence that adds nothing to the time and space in which it exists.

In any case, all of the characters gained more of my respect with this movie. Misato displays badassery again, and Shinji and Asuka became more compelling. The plot, while still leaving some questions unanswered, was an aspect that improved greatly compared to the final two episodes of the show and remained intense throughout.

Mindfuckery, darkness, edginess, philosophy/faux-philosophy, drama, and suspense.

Reposting this here for all the new people watching cause of netflix that didn't understand.
Jul 6, 2019 1:53 AM
May 2017
My head hurts....
Jul 8, 2019 5:21 PM

Aug 2018
I'm not the biggest fan of Eva but this......was truly something special. Always love me some mindfuck endings like this or Madoka's. 9/10 and I'm sure I'll be thinking about Eva's ending for years to come
Jul 25, 2019 2:05 PM
Jul 2019
I didn't like this end nor the anime end..
the story is different from another animes.. it deserved better ending..
i'm very sure i'm not the only one who thinks that..
it felt like they didn't know how to end it..

I don't know I'm just disappointed.
Aug 2, 2019 9:53 AM
Jan 2018
No clue what happened in the 2nd part .

What happened at the end I know they where trying to create the 3rd impact but what's with everyone turning into slush like there souls are transcending . And what's with big ass REI . And what's with the live action part

Also

Why did misato kiss shinji .

How is asuka still alive

And why did sinji try and kill her
Aug 6, 2019 10:15 PM

Jul 2016
first part...I'm following, yeah, gotcha, interesting....bam, wtf is going on??? 30 minutes later, oh, gotcha okay, with you again, cool, yeah, fine....last 5 minutes, wtf is going on, why is he choking her again, disgusting?? I was hoping for maybe another "idiot shinji"...I dunno. I'm sure if I watched it 5 times I'd think it's great, but I have a metric shit ton of great anime left to watch in my lifetime so maybe if I'm trying to decide whether to stick a knife in my eye or watch this again, maybe then I'll pick this one up again.

I may check out the re-builds though.
Aug 18, 2019 8:51 PM

Jan 2009
Mattinator95 said:

How is asuka still alive

the mother of Shinji or Rei said there in the end that as long as some souls got a will to live they will have a physical alive form so Asuka wants to live so badly i mean the first part was her refusing to die anyway

so im sure somewhere on earth there are more survivors of the 3rd impact other than the 2 of them (Shinji and Asuka)
Aug 19, 2019 10:37 AM
Jan 2018
ugmon said:
Mattinator95 said:

How is asuka still alive

the mother of Shinji or Rei said there in the end that as long as some souls got a will to live they will have a physical alive form so Asuka wants to live so badly i mean the first part was her refusing to die anyway

so im sure somewhere on earth there are more survivors of the 3rd impact other than the 2 of them (Shinji and Asuka)

i understand it now i spent an hour or so wrapping my brain around it after finishing it and i know what happens more or less

thanks anyway though
Aug 23, 2019 6:00 PM

Aug 2016
Ok, I have to take time, but first reactions... And let's not talk about the first scene in hospital... first half was kinda awesome, epic ending fight that anime build up too. Even though it felt really weird after so much low budget episode, it felt like something... different, not really anime and characters I remembered (Just watched from TV), Nerv putting a fight back was awesome, kinda, even though they showed more of one side slaughter and it was all over place, kinda like it, all I miss was few scenes of personel/defenders defends themselves.

Other half though... what... the... fock... and that ending? WTF?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 29, 2019 4:57 AM

Feb 2017
"The power of imagination is the ability to create your own future, and the power to create your own flow of time."
Sep 2, 2019 12:53 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
My rewatch of Evangelion continues. This film is as gorgeous and mindblowing a spectacle as it was all those years ago. It's a shame that the new Netflix version does not seem to be remastered to the same extent as the tv series was. It doesn't look any sharper than my trusty DVD's.

Will the last film of the Rebuild series match this? I have my doubts. So many of the characters there seem to be emotionally castrated, that I doubt that they will match the pathos and intensity seen here. The valour and heroism of Misato, the shock and surprise on Gendo's face when Rei "betrays" him, Asuka's revival...etc. And that mindphuck with giant Rei while Hey Ju...mmh, sorry, Komm Susser Tod is playing in the background. Memorable stuff.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 25, 2019 7:36 AM
Jan 2019
A WTF ending for many, and one for me too, but seeing it from a deeper point of view, it is a story that encompasses mysteries and human desire.
Something that is summed up in self-discovery, the meaning of life, and the search for an answer to everything we ask about our being. All in order to accept ourselves.
... Or maybe I'm just imagining it, in short, everyone defines it as they see fit.
It is an 8/10 for me. I add one more cult anime to my list.

"Dreams are within reality and the truth is within your heart."
Oct 7, 2019 1:00 AM

Oct 2012
Shinji masturbated to Asuka when she's unconscious? Disgusting
But because of Shinji (maybe), there NGE Doujinshi though..
So I thank Shinji for that xD

I finally knew why people hate Shinji, he's doing nothing and he shocked when things turned to worst case possible

I don't know how to describe the ending :P
Those eyes though
I guess everyone turn into Fanta-Sea xD
Rayl1ghtOct 7, 2019 1:04 AM
"Signature removed"
Dec 1, 2019 10:44 PM

May 2018
That was totally a nice movie, I found this a really interesting movie despite of having confusing story. This ending was really unexpected, thinking that only Asuka and Shinji are alived and everyone is dead. It is weird and scary seeing Shunji masturbate on unconcious Asuka, Lilith's existence, people desiring to be dead, Shinji trying to kill Asuka, Katsuragi doing a sexual thing to Shinji, SEELE and Ikari's true intentions, Adam, people turning into orange liquid, and ofcourse those mental problems. What I liked about this is everything is mysterious atleast for me, forget about those amazing story, just give me something like this that confuses me everytime is enough.

Dec 26, 2019 3:29 AM

Jul 2009
Finally watched this after finishing the main series 6 months ago.

I don't know why it took me so long, but I still remember vividly about the series and the Director's cut.

Okay on to the first half (Episode 25 Air).

It seems we seen Shinji being a scum and all. In the director's episodes, he only visited Asuka's room and just left after crying like a little bitch. This time, add that plus he tries to take advantage of the situation.

The Seele organization really hold no bars in this. Sent the whole damn army, killed everyone without remorse. Seeing all that blood flowing from the bodies and all.

Damn! This is what I'm talking about.

I can't believe Shinji has NOT learned a Goddamn thing this past 26 episodes. Holy shit. Can you act like a little bitch every other second?

I always thought Shinji wasn't that bad when I remember back then, but watching it now. Shit. It really boils my blood and really wanted to punch him whenever he's on a screen time.

Seeing Asuka back in action is a delight. Unlike Shinji, she was able to came back to her senses and even stronger than ever. Was able to at least took down all nine Evangelion 2nd series, but eventually she got overpowered and almost all of them got reactivated.

Seeing EVA-02 being Cannibalize like that. Damn, You just don't see these kind of brutality anymore in Anime nowadays. I miss seeing stuff like this. The very eerie scene of being mauled into pieces. Most so called "Blood" and "Decapitation" scenes feels very fake and over the top. Here, sure there are lots of blood than usual, but the color of blood, the way it spills as well as guts and bones showing. It really gives you the sense of "realism" that this might occur in the real world.

I love it. I think this is one of the first few instances of showing Blood and Gore in a more realistic and serious take.

Misato dying like that T_T So sad. I did remember that scene back then, but didn't realize this was End of EVA :O

Ritsuko got cucked XD Her mother truly loved Ikari more than her daughter. Despite the daughter also falling in love with Ikari, DAMN.

2nd Half was even crazy and they really up the craziness!!

Rei has merge with Adam and is now reborn as "Lilith"?

So the whole Crazy Face Rei that Shinji has been seeing, this was the foreshadowing. It's scary as hell to see a ghost Rei that looks like a titan and looks at you crazy :O

So SEELE wanted the destroy humanity and rebuilt it from scratch. Initiating the return of Lilith and opening of "Chamber of Guf". I guess originally, Ikari wanted to just use the EVA's to just meet Yui? He didn't really intended to sacrifice humanity just like what Seele did? In the end, they both accomplish their goals.

SEELE wanted to reborn humanity in order to atone for its sins, And Ikari briefly meets Yui, before being chop to half by EVA-01. Seeing the bones stick out :O

Damn!

Everyone turns into water(orange juice?) Seeing their so called close ones before death. Makoto-Misato, Maya-Ritsuko Fuyutsuki-Yui, Aoba a bunch of Rei's :|

At the end, Humanity is wipe out. By resetting it, everyone's consciousness has been merge into one, but Shinji still wanted to still have his own individuality, since he finally believe that his feelings he experience before this, we're all real.

Honestly, it was a selfish act since Shinji cannot fucking make up his own damn mind. I don't want to live, I rather do nothing at all, yet at the end he still choose to remain things the same. Even had a nod to the original "Congratulations" Ending where everyone was in the shot.

Now both Shinji and Asuka are returned from what's left of Earth. Rei's part get's torn into half of what's left off it. Shinji tries to strangle Asuka one more time. For reasons because he couldn't do anything? He is a scum and wants to just kill everything? Then cries like a bitch while Asuka awakes to see this scum once again acting like a bitch.

The audience shots with real life Japanese fans in the theater and outside. Pretty much shows how Anno is probably trolling the audience about what happened during the original airing of the TV series. The movie audience is probably the Death True and Rebirth OVA's since this version is a complete version of the two.

Seeing all the death threats as well as the positive remarks about what they like about Evangelion. I appreciate Anno and his team for posting all of it in part of the movie!

The End(?). That was a crazy roller coaster ride. The movie is not confusing, but you just need to rewatch the whole thing or some scenes in order to get some understanding of it. They just added the Japanese style plot twists and mind breaking themes that people aren't really used to compared to other medium.

All I did is rewatch the 2nd half which is probably the one that cause among the confusions. It's still makes much more sense compared to Lain, which no matter how many rewatches you do. It will still be confusing for you.

Now that's a way to end the year! I'm now contemplating to watch the Rebuild 1.1, 2.2, 3.3 Films(which is different; ala Remake) or wait for the final 4.4 BD and watch everything in one go. We're finally getting close to the end of Rebuild Films.

I wonder if the Ending will be just as crazy as this one! I know they already retcon a couple of stuff and even added a new main pilot to booth. I can't wait to compare both endings once 4.0 is out!!

Amazing work and watching this in BD is just glorious!

10/10!

SomaHeirDec 26, 2019 11:18 AM
Dec 29, 2019 10:25 PM

Jul 2009
Rei_III said:

@SomaHeir
"Rei has merged with Adam and is now reborn as "Lilith"?"
She was actually born from Lillith (as well as being a Yui clone). She "went back" to Lillith while merging with Adam (stored in Gendo's hand) and became a giant nake fusion of Adam, Lillith and herself. Known as GNR (or Giant Naked Rei) over the Internet.

Thanks for clarification! Time to read some of the artbooks and designs like Der Mond and Die Sterne :)
Jan 25, 2020 5:32 PM

Sep 2017
A full month later, I finally get around to watching EoE. This was some fucked up shit. I need more time to process what I just watched, maybe rewatch it. I may come back and update this with extended thoughts later, but in case I don't I'll leave a TLDR. Also, before I begin: I probably shouldn't have found both the orange juice and masturbating scenes to be hilarious, but they were. Don't judge.

Held up by its fantastic animation that puts the original (which was great as well) to complete shame, the End of Evangelion explains some but not all of the original's greatest plot holes while bringing a much needed sense of finality. While Shinji is still an unbearable toddler, at least his unbearableness made sense in this context. I still don't like the idea of a movie being necessary to explain your awful writing, but what can you do. 7/10.

Feb 27, 2020 5:19 AM

Feb 2020
Absolutely amazing. I don’t know if I prefer it or the final 2 episodes, but... wow. I don’t think I can give it anything but a 10. Like, yeah everyone’s dead, but we got some great development before that. I like that it demands your attention and participation, but I guess some people don’t and that is ok. I’ve had nightmares about MP evas, they’re terrifying. Asuka’s death is one of the most glorious and terrifying moments ever animated, ever. (Ever!!!)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 3, 2020 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
Mastapiece. If unsatisfied, try Evangelion: Genocide.
Mar 20, 2020 6:15 PM

Sep 2017
............ yeaaaaaaaah i clocked out when misato kissed shinji

some truly iconic imagery in this, but this was no less ridiculous than the original final episodes. NGE postures itself like it's exploring some transcendent philosophy when really it's just beating "face reality, love yourself, (insert more universal themes here)" into the viewer's head with a loud, screaming hammer. over and over. this series proved to be wayyyy more obnoxious than intriguing. 5/10
Apr 6, 2020 7:23 PM

Dec 2019
So the author tried to reproduce Adam and Eve in a japanese mecha animation way but he fucked up leaving all of the audience confused and he fucked up again when he made a character like Shinji as a main...
                                                         🖤   

Apr 7, 2020 6:58 AM

Jun 2016
Summary: Shinji decides to live despite all that complaining and "I dont want to live" cringe. The end
Apr 10, 2020 12:12 PM

Apr 2016
So if Shinji didn't go into the Eva like he wanted none of that would have happened.

So yeah...Shinji running away would have been a good thing.

Anyway a bit more plot than the last two eps of the series.

A bit over-wrought on the Christian symbolism, but that was the crux of the story.

And some scenes went on waaaaay too long.

And in conclusion...Shinji just needed a girl friend. That's the end result for all stories really. :D
tabernacApr 10, 2020 12:16 PM
Apr 19, 2020 9:00 AM

May 2016
I was surprised by how much hate a lot of people had for Shinji when I watched the series and found his overall demeanor to be understandable considering his situation from start to end but if his actions (or the lack thereof) in this movie were the reason why he's so despised, I can see where they were coming from now. He didn't want to hurt anyone yet he waited for everything to go to shit before freaking out after seeing that the people he knew are dead, psh. If Misato found out about Shinji just cowering in the hangar while Asuka risked her life and lost after all the trouble she took to take him to Unit 01, she would've been beyond disappointed.

It's good that Shinji decided to reverse his decision and reject Instrumentality so he can finally forge some real bonds with others and make some fulfilling memories with them but I think that he should've gotten himself together before everyone turned to orange juice with a giant white corpse in the horizon alongside the devastation. I guess that seeing Asuka of all people and her alone the moment after he decided to make more human connections pissed Shinji off real bad kek

The second half was an absolute mindfuck where the only way I would even remotely understand was through intently watching it without saying a single word and reading about what just happened in the internet to make sure. I'll have to say that despite it being the horrific end of the world, the Third Impact looked menacingly beautiful as it was scary to me and Komm Süsser Todd's so catchy that it's become stuck in my head right after the movie ended.

While I personally liked the "happier" ending of the TV series more, this definitely had a LOT more impact. It's a really good movie that made me feel conflicted throughout instead of just the usual enjoyment and that doesn't happen a lot~
Kajo_Senpai69Apr 19, 2020 10:42 PM

Apr 26, 2020 12:25 AM

Dec 2019
Great movie, but my brain hurts now.
May 12, 2020 6:11 AM

Jul 2019
This movie was great! i liked it a lot.but i didn't understand the ending.world destroyed or....?
May 26, 2020 2:36 PM

Nov 2019
Well, after the shitty mental clusterfuck the original eva ending was, i thought this was going to be more or less the same anticlimatic ending, it turned out I was wrong (thankfully)

I'm speechless, this shit it's probably one of, if not the best movie i've ever seen. It gives an actual clousure to the plot and surprinsingly, i was able to understand everything on the first watch(maybe i'm just woke idk).

Actually, I understood everything, except one thing, about how Shinji came to that conclusion in the end, but since due to the circumstances, I wasn't paying much attention at that particular moment so i may missed something. Or maybe is that the original ending complements with this one, so they didn't bother with that part much.
sneed's feed and seed
formerly chuck's
May 26, 2020 11:44 PM
May 2020
I've heard a lot of people complain about the lack of explanation surrounding the human instrumentality project, the dead sea scrolls, basically most of the mystical/fantastical elements that come together to make the 3rd impact happen. I completely understand the complaint but I personally felt that keeping it vague somehow made it a lot more frightening especially coupled with the reactions that the characters have during the events that unfold. I've always felt like the core of the show/film was the emotional exploration of the characters rather than the plot or mythology itself.

To me it's just the whole Twin Peaks thing that the mystery of who killed Laura Palmer is more interesting than getting an answer.
Jun 14, 2020 1:07 PM
Jun 2015
Wow....amazing
So the original Ep25 and 26 show the inner monologe of the 4 main characters while they are in the Human Instrumentality Project. Since the Studio had no money to do these amazing animations like in this movie they opted out to just show their inner thought process while being in the Human Instrumentality Project.
I honestly liked the TV Series ending!
1 year later and Anno and his team got a chance to creat End of Evangelion, which shows us how the outside battle looked like, since this time around they had the budget to do some fancy animation.
According to Yui every person who has the will to live will come back and Shinji and Asuka are just the first 2 (representing Adam and Eva?), which means everybody could come back if they had the will to live. So a bitter sweet ending...
All in all this series is a hugh mindfuck, but a good one xDD
10/10 absolutely loved it

Reading that the Producers statet that the christanity symbols have no meaning must be bullshit..I mean come on....They may be saying it but let's see what Anno would say. I bet he had them fully in mind when creating this series xD

@Rei_III Ok interesting....so no meaning but at least he must have been influencend somehow by them, because i just can't see him using so many symbols just to look cool, right? Damn it now i will search for every interview of Anno about NGE to know more before watching the Rebuild movies xD
SilverLeoJun 14, 2020 1:30 PM
Jul 3, 2020 11:00 PM

Jan 2015
Still haven't gotten this off my mind yet.
Aug 10, 2020 12:39 PM

Mar 2010
Might need to rewatch it to truly enjoy it i guess.
It was so much left ot interpretation that there was nothing to hold onto if you get me... a bit too much of ok think for yourself what this should be...
that theres no real closure and everyone will think up the ending for themselves

I guess to me it felt like choose to live with imperfections and knowing it will mean struggling and start anew or decide to end it all, all the suffering but that also means there wont be any humans and you ill be alone always but blissfull. Something like that. Might be totally off but well id like to fill it in how i want to anyways..

And yeah adam and eve being shinji and asuka that i at least got out of it.. and that the world isnt destroyed. But they all start anew.

Rather confusing series and movie but i wasnt bored either.. 7/10
GyarutsundereAug 10, 2020 12:42 PM
Oct 14, 2020 11:26 PM

Aug 2018
I don't think I will ever see another piece of anime as unique and mindblowing as I witnessed here

The end of Evangelion might just be the most complex and most deep animated film ever created. Yes I've seen Akira, I've seen one of Satoshi Kon works but this one is in the league of it's own. There really isn' many scenes that I wan't to talk about in this film because so many things here have deeper meaning behind them and talking about them would just be too much of brain work.

A few parts that I found more interesting and surprising :
-The intro hospital scene (this one just speaks for itself as I have never seen something like to be put even in an anime for adults.)
-Misato's goodbye to Shinji ( It was really shocking when I found out about that frame where you can acually see her getting blown up, also that cross necklace she gives to Shinji definitely isn't some ordinary item.)
-The lance of Longinus (I actually thought only one existed and the way they spoke about it when used to defeat the angel it made an illusion that it's one of the kind. But the Asuka got hit with one and it was really a surprise)
-The 12 men from SEELE ( We never really got too much info about them but their goal truly was an unbelievable one and it seems that they managed to accomplish it. )
-Rei ( Well this technically proves that Shinji's and Rei's relationship would count as incest if they ever had one, since Rei is a close of Shinji's mother and could actually be considered biological sister of Shinji)
-The final minutes (This can be viewed as either happy or sad moment. Yes there might be nothing left, all those memorable characters we felt connected too or hated are gone, but on the other hand the very dark humanity which already made the world a very depressing place to live in that we see in Evangelion is finaly gone for good. Only Shinji and Asuka remain as the only two humans symbolising Adam and Eve ).

This is one of a few very rare occasions when serious depression was actually responsible for something so masterfully and uniquely done. Would evangelion franchise even exist if it's creator never had a depression. This was such an unexplainable watching expierence because the creator was allowed to fully express himself in any way he wanted which resulted something so psychologically haunting but aesteticaly pleasing that there really isn't much to be added. I can only say that only few creators of certain movies or franchises of entertaiment have the creativity and absurd mindset that Mr. Hideaki Anno shown us.

The film is a masterpiece and not much else to be said, we will definitely not witness something like ever again because how much the entertaiment industry is changing and showing something as complex as this is considered an extremely risky investment for a studio willing to take on such task.

I'm glad I decided to finaly watch Evangelion because it really exceeded my expectations and made Mecha genre look like way way more than just giant robots fighting each other and being piloted by a badass MC's.

9.5/10

Nov 12, 2020 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
A boy.
Shinji standing above Asuka.
Dem nipples! Dat pantsu.
Oh shit! Shinji locked the door and bust a load in front of Asuka.
Misato.
The spear is on the moon.
Gendo.
Rei.
The glasses.
The truth about Second Impact. LMFAO

And that was the end. Don't worry Anno, I won't kill you, but the lack of the GOAT, Pen Pen, in this movie hurts.
If you see that my post is exactly 1 month old (or more) from when it was posted... Don't waste your time, especially when you want to reply with something petty & insignificant. Assume that I've moved on (because I have).
Nov 17, 2020 5:28 AM

Aug 2017
Why is Masayuki credited as a "Visual Water Artist" here?
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=419
Clearly doesn't sound like a real role, more like a joke.

UPD: found this:
https://forum.evageeks.org/post/115160/Commentary-Fly-Me-To-The-Moon/#115160
Somehow I never knew (or did I forget?) about this extended ending existence.
St0rmbladeNov 17, 2020 5:51 AM
Nov 27, 2020 11:49 PM

Jan 2019
Movie went from zero to one hundred to a million real quick. I have watched alot of animes and this film is the first to give me such a weird empty vibe after watching it. Really unique and one of a kind phenomena writing. Really enjoyed it.
Dec 29, 2020 6:28 PM
Feb 2017
150th Milestone!

Movie was strange but I honestly understood most of what was going on. Might have to look over some things though.
Jan 1, 2021 11:36 PM

Sep 2020
Poker face,speechless,mind fuck,lossess,scream,wtf is happening,why is this looks like a hentai,why it's so aesthetics but also painful,why i'm scared to sleep,why i miss kaworu,why i'm doing weird don't know what happening face.

nevermind ii'm speechless
5/5
Jan 26, 2021 10:35 PM
Dec 2014
psychological aspects , basically everything about this movie is well executed
I am just shocked
this is just too good
Jan 28, 2021 8:27 PM
May 2020
Great film, didn't walk away from it all "depressed" and "having an existential crisis" like a lot of other folk though. I was looking forward to that.
Mar 2, 2021 11:56 AM

Jan 2021
uhh i want to rate it but i just have no idea what to think about it, i enjoyed it to a degree but i just have no idea what to think. It has a nice message about escapism and depression which i think a lot of us who enjoy anime struggle with
Mar 8, 2021 6:08 PM

Feb 2021
I thought the ending in episodes 25 and 26 was strange, but this took it to a whole new level. I don't understand how this has such a high score, it just seemed like a clusterfuck to me. Overall I've been pretty underwhelmed by the Evangelion series.

2/5
Pages (11) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

21 by fizzydrinkk »»
27 minutes ago

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM

» What did Shinji Do?

PachtDD - Dec 17, 2022

20 by Power_Duck12 »»
Nov 1, 2023 9:52 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.