Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 18, 2019 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Trying to storm that fortress did not look pretty with arrows flying towards your face.

It's cool to see Thorfinn grown up now in this timeline though. He looks much tougher and has more experience in combat now. A bit reckless with the way he rushes into a fight like that but I'm still impressed on how much he has improved.
Aug 18, 2019 9:38 AM

Jan 2019
They finally adapt this chapter.
I'm quite impressed with their capability of CGI. People will still complain though.
This was a great episode to introduce older Thorfinn.
Aug 18, 2019 9:40 AM

Dec 2017
adding this goofy cartoonish frank nobleman and with thorfinn cutting through all those crossbow men felt really shonenish, but overall not a bad episode
Aug 18, 2019 9:41 AM

Feb 2018
Rushing in carrying the ships. Those mad lads.

Askeladd is still holding out on Thorfinn. Maybe waiting until he thinks Thorfinn can give him a real run for his money?
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Aug 18, 2019 9:47 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode again.

Looks like Thorfinn has indeed realizing that he's got far too much blood on his hands in the name of revenge but he can't stop now because he must have his revenge. :(
What will you do once you've gotten your revenge Thorfinn?

Holy shit! The last thing I expected was them carrying the damn ships all the way near the lake area. That was just crazy, these pirates are a bunch of madmen.
Action sequences were great as always, I loved the sequence with the first person camera on Thorfinn as he slashed his way to the fort leader.

Askeladd just edging on that fat French leader, I loved how he made fun of him. xD
I'm curious to see if Askeladd will actually accept Thorfinn's request or if he'll hold out longer.
Aug 18, 2019 9:51 AM

Sep 2014
Finally, the Franks which was the first chapter of the manga. CGI looked surprisingly quite fine there. The Frankish Jabba the Hutt received help from Askeladd's crew to take over the fort and share equally the treasure but he got robbed at the end. Well, serves him right for actually trusting pillagers there. The moment when they were carrying the ships in the land was absolutely crazy and funny too. Yuuto Uemura's performance as an older Thorfinn too was pretty good as well. Overall, a very enjoyable episode.
Aug 18, 2019 9:52 AM
Sep 2015
High production value pour into somthing that is not a cup of my tea. Some parts like battle strategy are praisable and some parts like Naruto-running style and hold sword in the mouth are shounenish. But the way they manipulate kids into a kill machine is something I've a love-hate relationship, it's realistic for sure as kids are easy to manipulate and we have many real history examples, but he's the protagonist of the story, killing or leading to killing of innocent people is something hard to root for. His moral will improve yes, but once a murderer you can undone the crime. It's likely that he'll end up in the same circle of his father, death.
Aug 18, 2019 9:56 AM

Feb 2017
@phantomfandom @uninstallthegame

Vinland Saga started in a shounen magazine before switching to seinen one half a year later.
Aug 18, 2019 9:59 AM
Dec 2018
That POV shot of thorfinn cutting through the soldiers and killing the captain was really good and creative i hope wit studio continues to give us scenes like these
Aug 18, 2019 10:02 AM
Jun 2015
Those manly vikings lifting those ships and running them into the sea. And here I am whining about yard work at 26. Lol
Aug 18, 2019 10:11 AM

Feb 2011
So finally we get the adaptation of the first chapter of the manga. Was a great build up, looking forward to the duel.
Aug 18, 2019 10:12 AM

Mar 2015
uninstallthegame said:
adding this goofy cartoonish frank nobleman and with thorfinn cutting through all those crossbow men felt really shonenish, but overall not a bad episode

And It's, this is an adaptation of the first manga's chapter. The previous episodes where adaptations of chapters after the manga changed the style (in chapter 2). Even so, the superpowered characters keep as a characteristic of Vinland Saga. It may be a little strange since the story is pretty realistic, but I think it's cool. The next episodes will return to be more "mature".
Aug 18, 2019 10:13 AM
Sep 2015
Tsarko said:
Vinland Saga started in a shounen magazine before switching to seinen one half a year later.

That might explain, it's a little bit sad that author's creativity is controled by demographic target of publisher. It happens everywhere around the world but the clash between author and editor is more prominent in Japan where all entertainment form is in business systematic.
Aug 18, 2019 10:16 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Absolute madman, these Vikings! Carrying the ship over like that and sprinting through the forest, are you for real mate?

Looks like Thorfinn is more than aware of what he’s become now but it just keeps getting worse, yikes. Incredible courage there in the negotiations and an even more amazing attack from his side. First person view killing was like a really great addition imo, really got me psyched there. I suppose only the cross-bowers could stand a chance but I imagine it was too cramped to try that out in that kind of a situation. How did Askeladd block those arrows though, does he have some sort of crazy innate abilities?

Poor Franks though, lol. Of course Askeladd and his men wouldn’t quietly just agree to share half of the goods, some horrific devastation from their side though like the usual. Thorfinn tossing the head over and then challenging yet another duel was a pretty cool course of event but I’ve a feeling he’ll just beat the dead horse for as long as he possibly can. Some obvious usage of CGI but not too jarring or so to say. I was really hoping for more of a challenge to Askeladd's crew and Thorfinn, more so than this at the very least, but hopefully that's just for later. Thorfinn has really come a long way and I'm looking forward to more!

Overall, a pretty cool episode! Looking forward to seeing what's next in store in Summer (for the next battle, I imagine) for us!
_MushiRock11_Aug 18, 2019 10:26 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Aug 18, 2019 10:16 AM

Jul 2017
bruh Thorfinn was so badass, that naruto run only added more to it. Yuuto Uemura sounding like Uchiyama Kouki with that voice lol

Also, damn those soldiers using crossbows what cowards huehuehue
Aug 18, 2019 10:18 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty decent episode overall. I love the VA the chose for Thorfinn. His voice sounds great. Kind of crappy that Askeladd couldn't duel Thorfinn but in the situation they were in it was understandable.

I am going to be one of those that will complain about the CG. In some parts it looked bad, in others funny. Those shots when they were carrying a log or something and thrust it into the fortress or a door in the beginning? it was badly timed. The CG guards where the fat dude was walking through, the CG of the boats falling in the waterfall, and when all the men were pushing them on land, it honestly took me out of the scenes plenty of times. It is not horrendous CG like in Arifureta but it is insanely noticeable. Even Toei's animation of Luffy's boat in One Piece falling look better than those of the boats falling in Viland. It looks really flat.

Crap I forgot to say how funny it looked when Thorfinn did the naruto run. Bro, why does everyone in shounen anime have to run like Naruto? I had to pause the episode because I laughed too hard.
removed-userAug 18, 2019 10:45 AM
Aug 18, 2019 10:23 AM

Nov 2018
uninstallthegame said:

That was the first chapter of the manga, the manga was literaly a shounen at that point.
Aug 18, 2019 10:27 AM

Apr 2017
I cant find any site to see the episode :/ Anyone know where can I see it?
Aug 18, 2019 10:27 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Tsarko said:

Ah, no wonder why it felt so shonen-ish.

How many more episodes roughly before we get into the actual seinen theme?

Aug 18, 2019 10:29 AM

Jul 2015
_MushiRock11_ said:
Tsarko said:

The previous epsiode of the old woman and her daughter adapted the seinen portion if i am not wrong.

Aug 18, 2019 10:29 AM

Mar 2017
Askeladd GOAT

and god damn, Thorfinn was a beast.

10/10 ep.
Aug 18, 2019 10:33 AM

Apr 2018
Yeah you guys better enjoy badass thorfinn while you still can.
Aug 18, 2019 10:39 AM

Sep 2018
Thorfinn broke the world record in a long jump, before this competition was even established.
Jolyne Kuujou + Steel Ball Run Universe = Billie Eillish
Aug 18, 2019 10:40 AM

Feb 2010
Arjuna777 said:
_MushiRock11_ said:

The previous epsiode of the old woman and her daughter adapted the seinen portion if i am not wrong.

Correct.

Also, there's one more chapter of the shounen magazine era to cover after this episode.
Aug 18, 2019 10:42 AM

Aug 2013
Those Vikings are crazy carrying those damn boats over lands and into the lake like it was nothing. Got to feel sorry for the Franks who mistook it for a dragon. lol.

I have to say, Thorfinn was changed a lot from the first few episodes. Him killing all those crossbowmen was crazy.

Aug 18, 2019 10:43 AM

Aug 2018
So, basically Thorfinn is training his Naruto run to storm area 51 : good boy !

I was quite annoyed by the assaillant leader, his design was awfully ugly compared to all the other designs which seem realistic.
Aug 18, 2019 10:43 AM

Sep 2018
this might be an unpopular opinion, but I really liked the first-person shots, they added dimension & dynamic to the battle!!
this episode had some comedic elements I enjoyed as well, so far it's been a pretty rough watch (but defintely not in a bad way, it's just more serious-leaning as a story)
Aug 18, 2019 10:44 AM

Apr 2014
This episode felt way too short. Enjoyed it way too much than I have too. Looking forward to more. XD and X3

Feb 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
Tsarko said:

Well, I don't know what was the exact chapter Vinland switched to seinen magazine, but it was pretty much always serious in how it portrays its themes. French noble and some stuff in this episode are probably the goofiest things in the manga and that was chapter 1. Episodes should feel more like 2nd half episode 7 from now on.

Stuff like super strength and characters being able to perform incredible feats will remain tho. It's a manga and has saga in its name, so it's supposed to feel like an epic.

Oct 2013
phantomfandom said:
Tsarko said:

That might explain, it's a little bit sad that author's creativity is controled by demographic target of publisher. It happens everywhere around the world but the clash between author and editor is more prominent in Japan where all entertainment form is in business systematic.

Well the magazine of attack on titan gave Isayama the green light to do whatever he likes, the only thing that is restricted is obviously nudity, I don't think all shounen magazine are like shounen jump that restrict the author vision at all.

_MushiRock11_ said:
Tsarko said:

That is not how it works, changing magazine doesn't mean the story automatically throw away any shounen like theme and as I have said already "shounen" seinein etc is just a demographic not a genre and as a user pointed out, the anime already adapted "the seinein parts" and you still felt like it was a "shounen series', which further prove the point.
Aug 18, 2019 10:49 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Finally chapter one gets it adaptation. We get to see Thorfinn in his badass glory.

A shame that the CGI with the ships looked so poor at the end.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 18, 2019 10:56 AM

Jul 2014
The character design for the French nobleman was so goofy that it felt completely out of place in a show like this, but it was a good episode again otherwise.
Aug 18, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2017
keragamming said:

Well the magazine of attack on titan gave Isayama the green light to do whatever he likes, the only thing that is restricted is obviously nudity, I don't think all shounen magazine are like shounen jump that restrict the author vision at all.

Sankarea is published in Bessatsu Shonen and, from what I read, has plenty of tits and ass. Also, Weekly Shonen magazine, Kodansha's other magazine, published To Love-Ru. So I think if Isayama wanted he should be able to show some nudity.
Aug 18, 2019 11:02 AM

Dec 2015
Felt a bit much like shounen - even though it is supposed to be seinen. With Thorfinn having superpower-like jumping abilities. Then the comical leader guy from the france attackers.

Other than that it was okay. Thorfinn is not that annoying anymore as he was as kid. Askeladd is still the best guy - taking all the treasure ha ha.
Aug 18, 2019 11:06 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Tsarko said:
Well, I don't know what was the exact chapter Vinland switched to seinen magazine, but it was pretty much always serious in how it portrays its themes. French noble and some stuff in this episode are probably the goofiest things in the manga and that was chapter 1. Episodes should feel more like 2nd half episode 7 from now on.

Stuff like super strength and characters being able to perform incredible feats will remain tho. It's a manga and has saga in its name, so it's supposed to feel like an epic.

Ah, I see, thanks!

Aug 18, 2019 11:09 AM

Jul 2019
Loved the way they stomed down the hill as well as most of the siege scenes. CG was actually impressive throughout. I mean the entire ship+the crew carrying it? it just looked so good. Only when they moved through the ranks of perfectly lined up soldiers it broke the illusion. One thing irritating me is how quickly the themes change. One moment the show feels so light and cartoony and the next second it is a super serious and gorey seinen show. Overall, pretty good episode though.

I am eager to know what comes of this duel. Askellad knows damn well about both of their abilities. Surely, something must be off or Thorfinn did not take into account.
Aug 18, 2019 11:09 AM

Dec 2016
good episode. animation's as good as usual, and wit is continuing to pay attention to smaller details as well (like the glint in bjorn's grin when he's in the background). first person pov really helped make the battle feel more immersive too.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 18, 2019 11:11 AM

Aug 2016
Thorfinn running like Naruto, before fighting like Roronoa Zoro, lmfao.

Also the French leader of the attackers looking very Frog/Toad like.

I'm guessing Askeladd ain't gonna play fair when it comes to the duel, will have to wait and see.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Aug 18, 2019 11:14 AM
Jul 2019
I hope they don't start dropping the animation quality, some CGI in this episode was fine but in other parts it looked funny and didn't fit in the atmosphere.
Aug 18, 2019 11:14 AM
Jul 2019
I hope they don't start dropping the animation quality, some CGI in this episode was fine but in other parts it looked funny and didn't fit in the atmosphere.
Aug 18, 2019 11:15 AM

Nov 2018
keragamming said:
phantomfandom said:

_MushiRock11_ said:

That is not how it works, changing magazine doesn't mean the story automatically throw away any shounen like theme and as I have said already "shounen" seinein etc is just a demographic not a genre and as a user pointed out, the anime already adapted "the seinein parts" and you still felt like it was a "shounen series', which further prove the point.

This episode felt more shounen-ish because it was the first chapter, it was suposed to introduce the series in a shounen magazine for a more shounen demographic, soo of course it was very shounen-ish. But it did switch to seinen more because the author wanted montly releases instead of weekly soo he could improve the art, and man...he improved the crap out of it.
Aug 18, 2019 11:20 AM

Jul 2015
Finally they adapted the first chapter

Nice portrayal,liked how they showed Thorfinn's inner conflict in this episode.Laughed at The Dragon scene,and the Frank General was as comedic as in the manga.

They carried the boat with their bare hands,man the Vikings are so strong.

Also the scene where Thorfinn killed the soldiers and the Leader of the Fort was so nicely done,WIT is really killing it.

Yuuto Uemura fits well as the VA of Teenager Thorfinn.

Now we should adapt chapter 2 next episode and then we can go back to Seinen stuff.
Arjuna777Aug 18, 2019 11:24 AM

Aug 18, 2019 11:28 AM

Oct 2013
Tougen said:
keragamming said:

This episode felt more shounen-ish because it was the first chapter, it was suposed to introduce the series in a shounen magazine for a more shounen demographic, soo of course it was very shounen-ish. But it did switch to seinen more because the author wanted montly releases instead of weekly soo he could improve the art, and man...he improved the crap out of it.

The point I'm making is that when I was reading it, I didn't notice any change in quality of the writing before or after it change magazine and this was years before I knew it had change magazine.

And as you pointed out, he didn't change magazine because the editors where pointing a gun at him to make his series feel as shounen as possible, he change because he want more time to improve on the art.
Aug 18, 2019 11:31 AM

Jul 2015
After seeing so much CG terror this season, Wit Studio's CG can be considered a 10/10. I won't complain about it.

Askeladd is the best character of this show.
Aug 18, 2019 11:37 AM
Jul 2018
Pretty good episode. Thorfinn has gone all-out for the sake of his revenge. For the past three episodes all I've been doing while watching is urge Thorfnn to not do it dammit!
Aug 18, 2019 11:39 AM

Sep 2018
Well this was the first chapter and i still don't get why they changed it, it was a perfect beginnin to the story.

I have to admit some scenes are good directed but the CG and overall animation is getting worse and worse.
Aug 18, 2019 11:39 AM

Mar 2019
Haha. The super serial viking anime has the main character doing a Naruto/Sonic the hedgehog run. This is too much. Carrying the ships like they were made out of styrofoam was pretty funny too.
Pig_on_the_kneeAug 18, 2019 12:03 PM
Aug 18, 2019 11:46 AM
Jun 2015
uninstallthegame said:
I thought that too, but it shows who the man is. A greedy fatass piece of shit.
Aug 18, 2019 11:47 AM
Jun 2015
AdrianRubinsky said:
After seeing so much CG terror this season, Wit Studio's CG can be considered a 10/10. I won't complain about it.

Askeladd is the best character of this show.
For now he is.......................
Aug 18, 2019 11:51 AM
Aug 2019
Varjosoturi said:
this might be an unpopular opinion, but I really liked the first-person shots, they added dimension & dynamic to the battle!!
this episode had some comedic elements I enjoyed as well, so far it's been a pretty rough watch (but defintely not in a bad way, it's just more serious-leaning as a story)
I, too, like the first-person point-of-view shots--especially from the view of the vikings as they carried the boat through the forest.

After the seriousness of episodes 4-6, the bits of levity from Askeladd's character this episode is a welcome relief.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.