Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 16, 2019 4:31 AM
Jan 2019
This is pretty much a follow up to my 2019 AOTY thread. The results at the moment are AoT in 1st place followed by Mob Psycho 100 and then Vinland Saga.

So now my question is what do you think are there criteria for an anime to be great or even an AOTY contender besides just overall enjoyment? Are there exceptions to your criteria?

It would be good for answers to follow this format but do whatever, these are some examples I could come up with off the top of my head:

Things that must be in a great anime:
Strong Story
Good Characters
Good Character and Plot development
Good Character interactions

Things I see as bonuses that aren’t required but good to have at least one of:
Good animation and/or art style
Good plot twists
Good world-building
Good power-system if there’s abilities in the show
Underlying message

If you want to add on stuff you don’t like to see then go ahead.

As for an exception I’d say MP100 or any slice of life I guess don’t necessarily have to have a strong story seen as they’re mostly character driven.

And if you’re gonna disagree with people’s replies at least give some reasoning.
ThanjhAug 16, 2019 4:35 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 16, 2019 4:41 AM
Sep 2018
Characters! They are what push the show, they are what the audience follows, you can have the most interesting story in the world with the best animation but if the characters can't actively play out that story and engage you, then, what's the point. Make them interesting, make them unique, and most of all give them depth. They anchor the story, so, if there's some one dimensional character with no growth then the anime is already screwed.

Also, Waifus.
Aug 16, 2019 4:43 AM

Feb 2019
Good story telling, some anime had potentials but the poor story telling makes them average.
Aug 16, 2019 4:43 AM

Sep 2018
For something to be an exceptional anime for me, it has to have a good story, animation, sound, characters. and I have to enjoy it a lot.

If those qualities are lacking in any sort of sense, then it gets a lower score in that category, which usually doesn't make or break a series for me.

Also, those bonuses that you mentioned are a good thing, which I can appreciate a lot, and can usually boost a score of an anime somewhat.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Aug 16, 2019 4:53 AM

May 2016
Just so it ain't over popular and saturish.
Aug 16, 2019 5:00 AM

Oct 2018
Thanjh said:
And if you’re gonna disagree with people’s replies at least give some reasoning.

Majority of MAL users: We don't do that here.
Aug 16, 2019 5:03 AM
Sep 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Thanjh said:

Majority of MAL users: We don't do that here.
Did someone insulted your favorite anime, by any stretch of chance?

O kawaii koto.
Aug 16, 2019 5:06 AM

May 2019
Good characters, Kaguya sama was one of my favorite anime this year and it only had good good written characters that made the mediocre plot much much better, it doesnt matter if the plot and world building are amazing if the characters are bland and uninteresting im probably not gonna enjoy the show, the animation is not a deal breaker but as long as it has a decent ost and better animation then Berserk 2016 and Tokyo Ghoul Re im not gonna mind it but its a big plus when the animation is good and if a show has powers then a complex power system like nen is always better then "im the reincarnation of god i win bye"
but i dont think any powers system is even near the level of nen
Aug 16, 2019 5:07 AM
Sep 2009
Things that must be (good) in a masterpiece anime:
Characters (design, development, relationships & interactions)
Plausability
Plot development
Animation quality
Soundtrack & BG music
Underlying message

Good looking art style
Good plot twists
Symbolism

No-Go: (this kills every good aspect of the show for me)
Illogical behaviours of characters
too much ecchi when it isn't the main focus
Aug 16, 2019 5:18 AM
Feb 2017
Ah yes, we did enjoy the early "Best animu of 2019" thread we've been waiting for.

What makes an anime good is based on the story and characters. Animation and sound obviously help, but even if they are average at best and good when they need to be it can still make a show great. All of this is subjective though so "average" animation and "good" story/characters can be viewed differently from person to person.

However I also think how much a show impacts or connects with the viewer assists in what makes a show a personal favorite, regardless of the factors above.
Aug 16, 2019 5:20 AM

Nov 2007
If it is backed by Donald Zuramp.

On a serious note, I believe the most important things are A. Execution of the Story and B. Characters. An anime can never be great without these two elements. Everything else is supplementary. Every anime I gave a 10/10 or a 9/10 had to have these two elements. Supplementary things can compensate for one another but if the execution of the story and the characters are not good, the anime can never be great no matter jaw-dropping brilliant animations, mind-boggling musics ad/or innovative ideas are put together.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 16, 2019 5:20 AM
Jul 2019
When certain scenes stick with you that you find yourself still thinking about them months or even years after first seeing them.
Aug 16, 2019 5:23 AM

Nov 2007
Alice_Renee said:
When certain scenes stick with you that you find yourself still thinking about them months or even years after first seeing them.

Like the r@pe scene in Kakumeiki Valvrave or the sitting arrangement in Darling in the FranXX. Lol. Nope. Sometimes they stick with me just because they were so bad.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Aug 16, 2019 5:28 AM
Sep 2018
shanimebib said:
Alice_Renee said:

Like the r@pe scene in Kakumeiki Valvrave or the sitting arrangement in Darling in the FranXX. Lol. Nope. Sometimes they stick with me just because they were so bad.
>Like the r@pe scene in Kakumeiki Valvrave

Berserk horse wants to know that location :>

Aug 16, 2019 5:34 AM

Oct 2008
Sorry if this is a bit long.

1st Needs to look good, character design, high quality animation (character expressions) and fluent fight choreography.

2nd Should be interesting and original or one with a hint of the other. Less filler and comedy to help with relaxation, rather replace those with a relationship between some of the characters.

3rd Backstory is essential, character development, interesting past events, introducing new, maybe better characters. Reveal of a plot point or two and character history (explaining his personality)

4th END either finished or an ending hyping you with anticipation for a sequel (like not Tokyo Ghoul's 1st or 2nd season, but more like Made in Abyss)

Addition
a) The anime should have characters (main) physically/visually) growing up.

b) Fanservice (preferably not the comedic or lucky pervert, but tastefully done).

c) Sexual intercorse gives a mature vibe to the story. The deed just has to be confirmed like in "Code Geass", "Grisaia no Kajitsu" or "White album 2". Or hinted at like in "Chrono Crusade " or "Requiem for the phantom".

d) Conflict either a war between armies or battle between single characters with good animated fight choreography (blood and violence)

e) Emotional moments capable of making you cry, or wtf moments that make your jaw drop, have you grin from ear to ear and keeps you on the edge of your seat.
Aug 16, 2019 5:39 AM

Jan 2014
It kinda depends. if i watch comedy then i expect to laugh, if i watch action then i want them to deliver great choreographed one, if i watch mystery then i want them to deliver on the plot twist of it.
"This is boring...I'm bored..."
Aug 16, 2019 5:48 AM

Aug 2015
I believe that what first and foremost should be great about an anime is the animation.

I know it's a stupid statement, seeing as it's an anime. Therefore animation is basically what it is. However, a good animation is important indeed cause you are making an anime.

I'm not just talking about chara design or the details and the numbers of frames etc. It's about what you want to let stand out. As an example: Kaiba is a great animation, cause it actually succeeds in making your enter that "dreamlike vibe". It's absurd, but it stands out. I never got to finish it but I actually felt it.

Depending on what you want to communicate and how you want to communicate it, animation has to mold to accompany that concept.

Just like in Penguindrum it seems like a nonsensical jump of cutscenes, it actually works perfectly for what the director was trying to say and how it was trying to say it.

In a sports anime if you look for "dynamics" you have to put all your efforts in it. Just like in Haikyuu. On the contrary, if you want to focus on the feelings and the dynamics behind the sport you can make it work just like they did in Ookiku Furikabutte.

As I said it's not only about sparkly, nice and well-drawn animation. Cowboy Bepop is the excellence because it's animated like none others. Because it focuses on music and the animation flows perfectly with it. Because the animation is based on the noir tone and the songs, not the contrary.

That's what makes an anime great.

You can enjoy or not the plot, or the characters. Though, a great anime is something above that.

That doesn't mean the story and the characters are no part in it. What I mean to say, it's that personal preferences are one thing.

I hate Evangelion. I don't like it. However, I can't say it's an awful anime. Indeed, it's one of the greatest animations ever because it really resonated with the heavy themes the author tried to display.

I don't like it because I felt what he was trying to say and I rejected it cause I felt suffocated.

Now, that said. That doesn't mean that there are no exceptions and in that regard nowadays I feel like most of recently animes are actually void of everything.

The animation seems to have reverted instead of progressing. Though that doesn't apply to everything, there are still worthy animes to watch. The crisis is there and it's shown by the number of "same" animes going on as well as awful "animations" being offered as if it's the best they can make. I could mention a lot of animes, but I don't want to.

Animators are underpaid therefore I understand the situation, however, it would be wiser, for the companies, to use the budget to work on a single anime worth to watch instead of producing a shitton of forgettable and totally pointless animes.

Aug 16, 2019 5:48 AM

Jan 2017
KIMG said:
shanimebib said:

Jesus Christ! The first show was in my PTW list. Thanks for telling this. I removed it immediately XD. And i dont like mecha genre that much, so its no loss ✌️
Aug 16, 2019 5:55 AM
Sep 2018
silent_knight98 said:
KIMG said:

Jesus Christ! The first show was in my PTW list. Thanks for telling this. I removed it immediately XD. And i dont like mecha genre that much, so its no loss ✌️
Have you lost your mind? This is a drama with very powerful moments, like this one, that will make you think about your life, over and over again.
Aug 16, 2019 5:58 AM
Aug 2019
The characters is all that matters for me!
Aug 16, 2019 6:08 AM

Mar 2017
I usually chose amine that are adaptations for my favorites manga, but in general, a decent anime for me must have the following elements:
Likeable characters: if the characters are annoying or I don't care about any of them I drop the show.
Good art
Good characters interaction and development.
There's something I learn from the show, I don't watch for enjoyment.
Acceptable animation.
I don't care for the plot as long as the characters are driving the story.
Aug 16, 2019 6:18 AM

Jun 2017
Cute Girls Doing random Cute Things is all I want
Aug 16, 2019 6:50 AM
Apr 2019
good story(AoT,FMAB,HxH)
good character design (Violet Evergarde)
good animation with good OST(remember Kimi no Nawa)
satisfying narrative and plot development (3-gatsu no lion)
character development (like what the characters would do in a different situation, not like someone was bad at beginning and then become good at the end 🤣)
Some may say good female characters, like wifu material or an yandere..But I've seen badass characters always make an anime popular.
Aug 16, 2019 6:59 AM

Jan 2017
KIMG said:
Have you lost your mind? This is a drama with very powerful moments, like this one, that will make you think about your life, over and over again.
LOL. I dont know if this is a sarcasm or not but if u are serious then let me tell u one thing - I WILL DEFINITELY LOOSE MY MIND IF I WATCH THIS SERIES.
I cant handle stuffs like NTR/RAPE. And this is not the only show which i've removed from my list (i'm sorry Berserk 😓). So yeah, no matter how good a show is and whether rape is an essential plot element or just there to produce shock value, its a big no for me. Coz i watch anime for fun, not for getting depressed or disturbed.
Aug 16, 2019 7:02 AM
Jul 2018
quality doesnt matter. as long i enjoyed boom thats a great anime.
Aug 16, 2019 7:09 AM
Sep 2018
silent_knight98 said:
KIMG said:
LOL. I dont know if this is a sarcasm or not but if u are serious then let me tell u one thing - I WILL DEFINITELY LOOSE MY MIND IF I WATCH THIS SERIES.
I cant handle stuffs like NTR/RAPE. And this is not the only show which i've removed from my list (i'm sorry Berserk 😓). So yeah, no matter how good a show is and whether rape is an essential plot element or just there to produce shock value, its a big no for me. Coz i watch anime for fun, not for getting depressed or disturbed.
"Depressing" is a lost word and it's meaning has been lost since 1000 A.C. Being "Depressed" is a very subjective thing and considering your favorites i'm shocked you didn't murder your self even before you watched/read Berserk. I.e, Attack On Titan. Didn't many chara died in that shithole of a show? Don't you feel bad for them? Don't you wanna save them and make them live a good and peaceful life? Well, look no further, Berserk will accomplish all this for you.

It has rape, no one dies, without getting raped first, gangbang as usual, it's the main focus of the serie and the most import, child sex. But in the end, you'll empathize to a lot of characters, with the horse, too.

Give it a try, you'll thank me latter, for sure.
Aug 16, 2019 7:10 AM

May 2018
A story and characters that catch your heart, good direction with a good OST. It must be interesting and be emotionally attractive.
Aug 16, 2019 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
I'd rather watch a clichéd and stereotypical anime that does things right, rather than a unique and innovative anime in paper that turns out a train wreck and becomes the center of attention for all the wrong reasons
Aug 16, 2019 7:38 AM

Jan 2017
KIMG said:
"Depressing" is a lost word and it's meaning has been lost since 1000 A.C. Being "Depressed" is a very subjective thing and considering your favorites i'm shocked you didn't murder your self even before you watched/read Berserk. I.e, Attack On Titan. Didn't many chara died in that shithole of a show? Don't you feel bad for them?
Thats a totally different thing my friend. I dont have any problem with characters dying or dark themes. Its just rape/NTR which is disgusting af and cant be tolerated by me.

KIMG said:
Well, look no further, Berserk will accomplish all this for you.

It has rape, no one dies, without getting raped first, gangbang as usual, it's the main focus of the serie and the most import, child sex. But in the end, you'll empathize to a lot of characters, with the horse, too.

Give it a try, you'll thank me latter, for sure.
Maybe some day, when i become gutsy and strong hearted like u, i might give it a try. But as for now, please spare this feeble soul and have mercy LOL

Also, i advice u to use spoiler tags in future for spoilers. For others' sake of course XD
Aug 16, 2019 7:49 AM
Jul 2018
A mix of: good characters, decent writing, decent animation, and decent music. You can have good animation but if the rest is not up to par, it seems like a waste.

Kyoani has animation that is super fluid and pretty but most of their shows are so bad written.
Aug 16, 2019 7:51 AM
Sep 2018
@silent_knight98

Alright dude. You do you.

They aren't spoilers but foreshadowing. I never mentioned who would get raped.
Aug 16, 2019 8:06 AM

Jan 2017
KIMG said:
@silent_knight98

I have a query though, buddy. Why dont u have Berserk and Valverive in ur completed list. U currently watching them or other reason?
Aug 16, 2019 8:09 AM

Sep 2018
Thanjh said:
This is pretty much a follow up to my 2019 AOTY thread. The results at the moment are AoT in 1st place followed by Mob Psycho 100 and then Vinland Saga.

So now my question is what do you think are there criteria for an anime to be great or even an AOTY contender besides just overall enjoyment? Are there exceptions to your criteria?

It would be good for answers to follow this format but do whatever, these are some examples I could come up with off the top of my head:

Strong Story
Good Characters
Good Character and Plot development
Good Character interactions

Good animation and/or art style
Good plot twists
Good world-building
Good power-system if there’s abilities in the show
Underlying message

If you want to add on stuff you don’t like to see then go ahead.

As for an exception I’d say MP100 or any slice of life I guess don’t necessarily have to have a strong story seen as they’re mostly character driven.

This is a pretty good list, but i would add few things and mix some things up.

Strong Story (Ergo Proxy,Steins;Gate)
Good Characters (3-gatsu)
Good Character and Plot development (LOTGH)
Good Character interactions (Monogatari)
Good world-building (...maybe Berserk)
Depth (EVA)
Good use of the animation medium (Eva or 3-gatsu if we take a adaptations)
It either needs to be believable and serious (Monster) or WAY over the top (the all mighty Inferno Cop).
Realism....to some extend (Oyasumi Punpun...its a manga but better than any anime when it comes to realism)

Good animation and/or art style (90% of Shafts,Kyo anis or Ufotables stuff)
Good plot twists (Berserk)
Philosophical themes (Texhnolyze)
Good power-system if there’s abilities in the show (JoJo)

I chose some diffrent examples but almost every show could go anywhere.

A show without depth CAN'T be great, including every genre expect comedy, stuff like the currently popular shounens (i.e Shingeki,BNHA etc.) or most anime in general lack depth, they don't take the time to explore every Character to the point where every action of every somewhat important Character is understandable, a positive example would be Monster and some other shit i dont know atm.

The "good use of the animation medium goes mostly towards adaptations, the currently airing Kimetsu no Yaiba is a prime example of a good adaptation and Vinland is a prime example of how not to do a adaptation. Kimetsu follows the original story but cuts or adds scenes if necessary while Vinland has CGI water,changed the great opening chapter of the Manga and never cuts things that ONLY work in manga (its still not a bad show dont get me wrong bois). I also meant that they use the animation to the fullest in terms of simbolysm.

Worldbuilding doesn't apply to every show but to many, espeacially fantasy and every sub fantasy genre (i.e Urban Hard etc. Fantasy), i don't think i am alone if i say that anime is one of the worst genres in fiction at doing fantasy, the worlds are explored on such a superficial lever its just laughable, for a show to be great it needs to explore its world at least to some extend, of course a show can be good because of its Charatcers but if the world is not explored on at least a "good" level it won't be a great show.

I don't know if my reasoning was gud enough for you my buddy but i would be willed to argue to death to defend my points, feel free to attack them.
-Mullerio-Aug 16, 2019 8:26 AM
Aug 16, 2019 8:19 AM
Sep 2018
silent_knight98 said:
KIMG said:
@silent_knight98

I have a query though, buddy. Why dont u have Berserk and Valverive in ur completed list. U currently watching them or other reason?
I'm not watching it, but reading instead. Also, what is a "Valverive"? Are you sure you didn't meant something else?
Aug 16, 2019 8:21 AM
Sep 2018
GERXjakobson said:
What I am about to tell is no joke and I'm completely honest.
The main reason for me to love an Anime is related to the number of characters in it that I can fap to. No joke.
It makes sense, afterall, you did dropped Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.
Aug 16, 2019 8:26 AM

Oct 2016

[Thicc Thighs More Thighs More thicc and No More Lewded on Lolis They Must Procted Give them headpat..]
Aug 16, 2019 8:27 AM

Apr 2018
Hm.. I'm more to the character, If i disliked the character then I will drop it no matter how good the story and animation is. And the character design is also important to me, I avoided clannad bacause the character has an awfully big eyes. I also dropped a lot of isekai anime because their MC's design is awfully similar to kirito's.

but i think it also depend on my enjoyment, if i enjoy it a lot and never get bored whenever i rewatch them then it's a great anime for me.
Jfs_Aug 16, 2019 8:33 AM
Aug 16, 2019 8:30 AM

Oct 2018
Good soundtrack is the most important thing for me.

If an anime has some outstanding OST, and they actually use them well, I tend to ignore the mistakes of the anime, and rate it high.
Aug 16, 2019 8:43 AM

Apr 2016
The capacity to bring me into it but not in a banal way, I have to feel something for the characters, for what they have to do, for what happens to them and I have to lose the “sense of time” when I watch it. Only the series that give me this are on my favourites. But this are only considerations that I do when I love a series and I have to know if a series can be one of my favourites. For decide if a show is a great show I think of this things and also the enterteining the series give to me.
HectorBlazeAug 16, 2019 8:47 AM
Aug 16, 2019 8:47 AM

Apr 2015
-Aincrad- said:

If an anime has some outstanding OST, and they actually use them well, I tend to ignore the mistakes of the anime, and rate it high.

This! How many of the best anime have amazing OSTs? If you go through the entire top 50, of all the anime you've seen of them, I bet you can remember at least one song from that show.

Even a show like Mirai Nikki, which was highly polarising, is fondly remembered. Guess what? Great soundtrack. It's not a coincidence.
Aug 16, 2019 9:10 AM

Jan 2017
KIMG said:
silent_knight98 said:
I'm not watching it, but reading instead. Also, what is a "Valverive"? Are you sure you didn't meant something else?
No, its the same anime (Valvrave). Sorry, i just misspelled it.
Aug 16, 2019 9:13 AM

Oct 2014
Good animation is an absolute requirement for me. If something doesn't have it for an entire year, i would be reluctant to even choose anything for AOTY.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 16, 2019 9:14 AM

Jan 2017
-Aincrad- said:

Yeah. OSTs are very important. Especially in case of battle shounens.
Aug 16, 2019 9:27 AM

Oct 2014
Thanjh said:
Lunilah said:
Good animation is an absolute requirement for me. If something doesn't have it for an entire year, i would be reluctant to even choose anything for AOTY.
What's your thoughts on art style? Personally I think saying every abnormal art style "unique" is pretentious. I think Ping Pong art style suits but then I'd say Tatami Galaxy would be better done by Shaft with an art style similar to 3-Gatsu or Monogatari series.
There isn't a lot you can measure with art style, assuming it's getting the story across aptly, aside from comparing it against itself from a previous entry into a franchise. Everything else is majorly in the eye of the beholder.

However you can look back at Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex for example and see how powerful that was for setting a new industry standard for art style, it looks like it could have came out yesterday when it's from 2002. Recognizing something like that i think is very vital to art style, but can only be done retroactively since a great amount of time needs to have passed. Which is in part why it's a classic.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Aug 16, 2019 9:29 AM
Jan 2019
It really depends on what is the anime "supposed" to be. It's illogical to expect or complain that a relaxing simple comedy doesn't have/has awesome fight choreos or A++ writing (doesn't have to be,some have excellent writing,but you see my point).

Not every single anime is meant to be or have the same things. I'd rather split them into genres at least or by the general tone and atmosphere of an anime (again,doesn't apply to every single one).

But for any anime to be decent and somewhat enjoyble (what to the eye,what to the soul) for me it has to have:
-comprehensable characters and dialogue
-plot that goes somewhere
-appropriate distribution of plot points and twists through the episodes

Bonuses include clever usage of music,art direction,voice actors going the extra mile,hidden messages etc.
Aug 16, 2019 10:04 AM
May 2019
For me it's characters and story, of course good art style and animation helps too.
Aug 16, 2019 10:07 AM
Sep 2018
silent_knight98 said:
KIMG said:
I'm not sure I understood what you mean by that. Please, could you clarify.
Aug 16, 2019 10:20 AM

Jun 2019
It's hard for me to quantify, but what it comes down to for me personally is how invested I was while watching it and how much of had an impact on me emotionally.

Aug 16, 2019 10:33 AM

Jan 2017
KIMG said:
silent_knight98 said:
I'm not sure I understood what you mean by that. Please, could you clarify.
Well i was asking that why u didnt have Kakumeiki Valvrave and Berserk in ur completed or currently watching list since u know their plot. I didnt know that u were reading their manga.

And then i accidently misspelled Valvrave (also didnt write its full name, maybe thats why u misunderstood?). That's it.
Aug 16, 2019 12:45 PM
Mar 2016
the vibe or mood it gives off
I think that's mainly caused by the characters and their interactions.
Good animation plays a slight role too
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» what's the worst anime you've watched and what exactly was the worst part of it ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Apr 7

66 by 23feanor »»
13 minutes ago

» which antagonist is your fave and which one you cannot JUST TAKE SERIOUSLY ?

ame - 6 hours ago

13 by Otakupervert890 »»
19 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

90 by Theo1899 »»
22 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9069 by anime-prime »»
37 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

19 by Zarutaku »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.