Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Aug 12, 2019 7:18 PM

Jan 2019
elementex said:
"too boring, dropped"

- The guy who gave Isekai Cheat Magician a 10/10
ElucidAug 12, 2019 7:23 PM
Aug 12, 2019 7:37 PM
Apr 2019
Elucid said:
elementex said:
"too boring, dropped"

forgive me for having original opinions that differ from the general populace
Aug 12, 2019 7:49 PM

Jan 2019
elementex said:
Elucid said:

Pretty original opinion I must say. You can watch what you want, even if I question you. It's just that I'm tired of Isekai, it's like a plague that started with the good ones then spread while degraded at the same time.
Aug 12, 2019 7:49 PM

Oct 2015
Finally the real thing begin next episode :)
Aug 12, 2019 7:59 PM
Jun 2019
elementex said:
Elucid said:

So, you're defending your "original" opinion on a frustratingly generic anime with corner cutting effort - though there are currently 726 users who voted 10/10. So "original" I must say. That's already funnier than the whole show. Also, the fact that Vinland Saga's lack of waifus is your idea of an "original" criticism means that being original doesn't necessarily mean good. So, don't pride yourself on having "original" opinions every time.
Aug 12, 2019 8:29 PM
Apr 2019
tiwibo said:
elementex said:

So, you're defending your "original" opinion on a frustratingly generic anime with corner cutting effort - though there are currently 726 users who voted 10/10. So "original" I must say. That's already funnier than the whole show. Also, the fact that Vinland Saga's lack of waifus is your idea of an "original" criticism means that being original doesn't necessarily mean good. So, don't pride yourself on having "original" opinions every time.

I understand it has faults, I could easily drop it to 8 or 9, but with all the 1 bombers dropping the show under a 6 just because it's isekai I have to stay at 10 to combat that.
Aug 12, 2019 9:22 PM
Jun 2019
elementex said:
tiwibo said:

I understand it has faults, I could easily drop it to 8 or 9, but with all the 1 bombers dropping the show under a 6 just because it's isekai I have to stay at 10 to combat that.

You still wonder why there are 1 bombers there? Hey, popular shows also have those 1 bombers and guess what? Those shows hold up. I thought we've talked about this a while back but it seems that it just went over your head. Now that you're here on this board, what are you gonna do? Vote it 1 because there are a lot of people hyping it with 10s?

Also, if you have time to do some maths on the score, I'll tell you the result straight away: Even after you remove those 1s and 2s from the pool, the score would be 6.29. From 5.94 to just 6.29. That's not even an attempt at jumping.

I say again, even though there will always be haters' votes, they mean jack shit. So, stop voting 10 just because there are people who purposely voted 1. Just give it an honest score like you did Maou-sama Retry.
Aug 12, 2019 9:29 PM
Aug 2014
lol that "just another day" look he gives at the end.
Aug 12, 2019 10:06 PM
Mar 2015
Our boy is growing up so fast From wide eyed little boy to stone cold killer
Aug 12, 2019 11:06 PM
Jul 2019
VINLAND SAGA IS WONDERFULL ANIME
Aug 13, 2019 12:30 AM

Dec 2013
Thorfinn has become a murderer!
Aug 13, 2019 12:44 AM

Jan 2019
Mythologically said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

You might as well drop this. He's only going to become a better fighter from this point onward, and it's obvious that your fixation on realism is hindering your enjoyment of the show.

No, my enjoyment is mainly hindered by the lack of any excitement whatsoever. Besides for Thors vs Askeladd, which I really enjoyed, I've been struggling to stay awake throughout this show. The lack of realism was just a small point that I brought up in my first post due to it slightly annoying me, but now that about 28 people have quoted me on it, I'm actually starting to care about it.

Well, to be honest. If you pointed it in a more civil manner and less cocky, then you would have less people up your ass about it.
Aug 13, 2019 12:47 AM

Jan 2019
Mythologically said:
Taito10 said:

No, in this series some people have super strength or super agility. It is not realistic anime, you should already know this after episode four.

"haha the MC is randomly overpowered"
"No, some other people are randomly overpowered"

Damn, what an astute point! Got me there!

Alright, I'm gonna give you an A+ for finding a profile picture that fits your personality.
Aug 13, 2019 3:24 AM

Jul 2017
Once again, another canon+source episode that helps in establishing Thorfinn's growing years into a "rightful" warrior in war, that leads his murderous intent towards Askeladd and his men of pirates.

And I still swear that the subs are misleading emotions at best. There's no impact.

The moment when the lady saw Thorfinn's REAL nature at the end of the episode...it was TRUE devastation. The tears from her kind but regretful eyes...it was too painful to see such a kid commit murder in front of her eyes, but Thorfinn's just hashing it off like it's nothing.

The era of Vikings was where Thorfinn left his father Thors's legacy that humans are worth saving. It wasn't a path that he should be following, but the "father figure" of Askeladd is what he embraces, and that is lost.

Splendid episode as always. Marvelous.
Aug 13, 2019 3:25 AM

Jun 2013
shane_nichols said:
Tischa said:

But Vinland saga also has glorious animation and backgrounds
Yeah they're awesome, but Ufotable is in a league of it's own. I'll admit that.

Ufotable has its hits and misses. They fucked up adapting Gyo, that's for sure. Couldn't capture the essence of its story. I love Kimetsu no Yaiba and it's one of my faves but in no way does it even compare to the plot and sheer beauty of Vinland Saga. Even in the manga, the story of KnY follows certain Anime tropes that still make it generic despite some unique themes added into the mix.

------------------------------

This episode was pretty great. They fleshed out Thorfinn's growth during his more juvenile days which weren't really in the manga. That scene where the old Englishwoman was heartbroken after seeing Thorfinn attack those soldiers was the best part. You can see Thorfinn try to hide a part of his humanity in order to get what his heart desires the most: to kill Askeladd.

The only two people I like on Askledd's crew are Askeladd himself and Thorfinn. For everyone else, I honestly couldn't care less.
臭い-
Aug 13, 2019 4:19 AM

Aug 2013
that was pretty sad

also Thorfinn and his Enchanted daggers, auto-clean blood whenever he killed an enemy, OP
Aug 13, 2019 4:34 AM

Oct 2018
It was a great episode, I even re-watched it once

Finally it's starting to get good

So far it was kind of boring for me, I hope it only gets better from now on
Aug 13, 2019 4:57 AM

May 2019
The psychology of Thorfinn is amazing. For anyone wondering, the reason he stays with Askeladd is that, first and foremost, he has to have Askeladd's recognition on the battlefield in order to duel him, and second is out of necessity.

This is going to be in my top 5 maybe even top 3 anime, I can already see it.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Aug 13, 2019 6:05 AM

Oct 2017
Next great and pretty episode.Good that Thorfinn is finally 2-3 years older.
Aug 13, 2019 7:40 AM
Aug 2019
Franck_Nicolas said:
pff there s no way his tiny daggers combined with his child 's strength would go trhough soldier's chainmail armors

That's why when attacking someone wearing chainmail armor he actually aimed for the throat.
Aug 13, 2019 9:48 AM
Apr 2016
magictuch said:
Franck_Nicolas said:
pff there s no way his tiny daggers combined with his child 's strength would go trhough soldier's chainmail armors

That's why when attacking someone wearing chainmail armor he actually aimed for the throat.

Indeed, when watching the episode i didn t notice he didn t actually stabbed soldiers in chainmail armors in the chest
Aug 13, 2019 10:30 AM

Feb 2017
this is actually really hard to watch, watching ma boi killing people without any strong reason other than continue his life seeking nothing he cant even really see

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Aug 13, 2019 10:54 AM
Apr 2016
'Kay y'all, your weekly dose of common sense arrived -

1. Child soldier is portrayed as being too good than it was real at the time. Without a doubt they had chances one on one against a typical soldier, but here Thorfinn in a course of an episode commits a small genocide. Lame.
2. They kept copy-pasting all those poor soldiers Thorfinn slaughtered... Lame!
Otherwise a solid episode. While the series has all the signs of a generic "shounen", literally everyone on screen is just a scum and it is hard to tell whether it's just another "shounen" in an original setting, or an actual saga, at the end of which Thorfinn, after reaching Vinland, perishes the same way Tommy (maybe mirroring Thors' fate) did in Mafia game. That is, if that story is to be more than just an action based viking fable. It also does have everything to surpass that.
Franck_Nicolas said:
magictuch said:

Indeed, when watching the episode i didn t notice he didn t actually stabbed soldiers in chainmail armors in the chest

If that happened and he succeeded that would be a logical foul and would disqualify this series from "historical" genre. It would become full-fledged fantasy about glorified violence. Glad it did not happen, I am.
Re:formed
Aug 13, 2019 1:17 PM
Jul 2017
Thorfinn and Askeladd's relationship reminds me alot of Guts and Gambino from Berserk.
Aug 13, 2019 3:03 PM

Oct 2017
LOL, people letting themselves be killed instead of hearing more of the little shits screams...
Aug 13, 2019 8:14 PM
Jan 2019
JakkoFourEyes said:
TolkienFan365 said:

Also he is following them because if he leaves likely he will never find Askeladd again. He doesn't really have much of a way home at this point either. He wants to kill him in an honorable duel similar to justify what his father did.

Lol there's absolutely nothing honourable about what he's currently doing. The duel won't be very honourable if he got there by helping Askeladd and his men kill and rape entire villages. He can stay with them all he wants, but actually helping them is an entirely different thing.
I get that he's blinded by revenge, but this is really extreme.

It's not about what's honourable to you, it's about what's honourable in Viking culture.
Aug 13, 2019 10:08 PM
Apr 2015
my attention drifted and I almost missed the whole montage. glad thorfinn developed as a character a bit. I know his experience with the old lady was meant to drive his change home but I found it a bit unnecessary. thankfully it wasn't a long thing. I thought he'd at least protect her a bit more though
Aug 14, 2019 4:18 AM
Feb 2015
Short_Circut said:
Damn this show really is going for that historical accuracy, Vikings not having horns on their helmets (like myths say they do), archers doing most of the fighting, language differences. Also MC that isn't afraid to ho harm wow what a shocker

The CGI soldiers though, that looked so garbage lol. Actually not even the soldiers the cgi in general is pretty garbage

LalatinaDarkness said:

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.

tbf considering how many action shows lately have had subpar animation, I can see how great animation can be blinding lmao
Bro shut up about the CG. You know damn well it could've been used way worse and way more prominently ffs
Aug 14, 2019 4:59 AM

Mar 2017
Thorfinn grew up huh.
That old lady staring at Thorfinn with tears in her eyes was a hard hitting scene.
Aug 14, 2019 5:32 AM

Apr 2018
Thorfinn, from a huge pussy to a savage edgy kid, what a madman. Feel bad for him though, he doesn't know what to do anymore so he just resorts to killing. The old woman didn't have to go through that
Aug 14, 2019 8:10 AM

Jun 2019
The animation seemed a bit stiffer in this episode. Otherwise, I though the fight scenes were pretty cool.

The second half of the episode was rather sad. I'm interested to see what happens next.
Aug 14, 2019 8:27 AM

Apr 2018
Chrawnus said:
JakkoFourEyes said:

Lol there's absolutely nothing honourable about what he's currently doing. The duel won't be very honourable if he got there by helping Askeladd and his men kill and rape entire villages. He can stay with them all he wants, but actually helping them is an entirely different thing.
I get that he's blinded by revenge, but this is really extreme.

It's not about what's honourable to you, it's about what's honourable in Viking culture.

Is that really how viking culture work tho? Killing a man in is sleep is dishonorable but raiding villages is ok? I'm not an historian but that doesn't really make that much sense to me tbh.
Aug 14, 2019 8:32 AM

Nov 2018
vhagar8 said:
Chrawnus said:

Is that really how viking culture work tho? Killing a man in is sleep is dishonorable but raiding villages is ok? I'm not an historian but that doesn't really make that much sense to me tbh.

Vikings believed in 'honour by combat' there is no honour in killing someone in his sleep only in combat, and all you get in combat is yours by right, be it slaves, treasure or warever. They where stronger than those villagers, soo theres nothing wrong in raiding and pillaging them. Same with Thorfinn dilema, Askellad killed his father, soo he has the obligation of avenging him or else he would be seen as a coward, but most would have waited until they became grown men before seeking revenge.
Aug 14, 2019 8:41 AM

Jul 2009
Best episode so far, which is saying something since this series has been riding the high waves from the beginning. Great character development for Thorfinn, excellent OST, and beautiful emotional moments. I was repeatedly muttering "oh my god" when the mother was crying. The animation took a noticeable dip here, though it's nothing major.
Aug 14, 2019 8:52 AM

Apr 2018
Tougen said:
vhagar8 said:

Vikings believed in 'honour by combat' there is no honour in killing someone in his sleep only in combat, and all you get in combat is yours by right, be it slaves, treasure or warever. They where stronger than those villagers, soo theres nothing wrong in raiding and pillaging them. Same with Thorfinn dilema, Askellad killed his father, soo he has the obligation of avenging him or else he would be seen as a coward, but most would have waited until they became grown men before seeking revenge.

So you're saying that when vikings raid a village they politely wait for the villagers to get prepared and pick up their weapons? Because I don't really see how killing a disarmed person differs from killing a person in his sleep. And if by any chance someone is like too drunk to fight while they're raiding what? They wait for his hangover to pass before challenging him to a duel?
I genuinely don't understand why Vikings would have any issue with killing a person in his sleep.
Aug 14, 2019 9:41 AM
Aug 2019
vhagar8 said:

So you're saying that when vikings raid a village they politely wait for the villagers to get prepared and pick up their weapons? Because I don't really see how killing a disarmed person differs from killing a person in his sleep. And if by any chance someone is like too drunk to fight while they're raiding what? They wait for his hangover to pass before challenging him to a duel?
I genuinely don't understand why Vikings would have any issue with killing a person in his sleep.

Different rules probably apply for different folks. So while vikings think that other vikings should be afforded a fair duel, people who you consider to be less than human (i.e. anyone who is English/Christian, like the those villagers), should be slaughtered like pigs.

The application of different principles for how "others" should be treated is pretty common. "My own group of people are entitled to rights 1, 2, 3; you other people aren't entitled to any rights at all.

I don't think every single person in history used to think this way, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the prevailing belief system.
najumobiAug 14, 2019 9:46 AM
Aug 14, 2019 11:05 AM
Apr 2016
najumobi said:
vhagar8 said:

Different rules probably apply for different folks. So while vikings think that other vikings should be afforded a fair duel, people who you consider to be less than human (i.e. anyone who is English/Christian, like the those villagers), should be slaughtered like pigs.

The application of different principles for how "others" should be treated is pretty common. "My own group of people are entitled to rights 1, 2, 3; you other people aren't entitled to any rights at all.

I don't think every single person in history used to think this way, but I would be surprised if it wasn't the prevailing belief system.

Based on the nation-country systems it still is prevalent, alas.
Re:formed
Aug 14, 2019 11:34 AM

Nov 2018
vhagar8 said:
Tougen said:

They have no problem with killing people in their sleep per say, its just that they must prove they are better fighters than their rivals to earn a spot in valhalla, soo killing a rival in their sleep would be seen as cowardly because that would mean they fear their riva and thus would NEVER win respect by doing that, not because 'its wrong to kill people when they cant defend themselves'. As for the vilagers? They are just weaklings, a means to make a proffit seeling slaves and pillaging all they have.

That dosent mean vikings are stupid either, if they can outsmart their enemies they will do it, a commander dosent want to lose soldiers needlessly even if they are vikings, soo murdering all the villagers before they have a chance to flee and call reinforcements from another garison is just the natural move.
Aug 14, 2019 12:08 PM

Apr 2018
Tougen said:
vhagar8 said:

They have no problem with killing people in their sleep per say, its just that they must prove they are better fighters than their rivals to earn a spot in valhalla, soo killing a rival in their sleep would be seen as cowardly because that would mean they fear their riva and thus would NEVER win respect by doing that, not because 'its wrong to kill people when they cant defend themselves'. As for the vilagers? They are just weaklings, a means to make a proffit seeling slaves and pillaging all they have.

That dosent mean vikings are stupid either, if they can outsmart their enemies they will do it, a commander dosent want to lose soldiers needlessly even if they are vikings, soo murdering all the villagers before they have a chance to flee and call reinforcements from another garison is just the natural move.

Mmmmm ok, if that's what they're going for in this anime, it's really poorly derivered imo, but at least I guess I can see a little bit where they're coming from now, thanks.
Aug 14, 2019 12:26 PM

Jan 2015
Too bad the animation quality dropped this episode
Aug 14, 2019 12:46 PM
Feb 2016
vhagar8 said:
Tougen said:

Mmmmm ok, if that's what they're going for in this anime, it's really poorly derivered imo, but at least I guess I can see a little bit where they're coming from now, thanks.

It's not poorly delivered at all. You have to have some basic sense of what Vikings are and what their culture is. They shouldn't have to hold your hands.

This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

Killing a warrior in his sleep = dishonorable

Killing a warrior in a duel = honorable

Pillaging and raiding = common place

You have convoluted completely separate issues because you are projecting YOUR moral values on to THEM. You CAN NOT do that when watching ANY historical work. EVER. Otherwise you will end up confused and it honestly comes off as ignorant as well.

Aug 14, 2019 1:11 PM
Jul 2019
I want ask humans how do you think do torfin see his family agin.
Aug 14, 2019 2:25 PM

Apr 2018
ChainxBastard said:
vhagar8 said:

It's not poorly delivered at all. You have to have some basic sense of what Vikings are and what their culture is. They shouldn't have to hold your hands.

You have convoluted completely separate issues because you are projecting YOUR moral values on to THEM. You CAN NOT do that when watching ANY historical work. EVER. Otherwise you will end up confused and it honestly comes off as ignorant as well.

You shouldn't be required to have any sort of previous knowledge to watch an anime. And c'mon are u seriosly saying I'm the one projecting my moral values on em? Isn't the anime fucking concept to project our values in the vikings society?

Anyway, none of these "warriors' code" values or whatever is mentioned in the anime. Never is mentioned that thorfinn is following them to earn a spot in valhalla or whatever. The only reason presented in the anime as to why thorfinn is following them is to get revenge, which to me, it's a fucking dumb reason. That's everything the anime tells us and that's what I'm sticking to, if there were other reasons the author forgot to mention, it's his bad. And that's why I said it's poorly delivered.
Aug 14, 2019 2:55 PM
Feb 2016
vhagar8 said:
ChainxBastard said:

You shouldn't be required to have any sort of previous knowledge to watch an anime. And c'mon are u seriosly saying I'm the one projecting my moral values on em? Isn't the anime fucking concept to project our values in the vikings society?

Anyway, none of these "warriors' code" values or whatever is mentioned in the anime. Never is mentioned that thorfinn is following them to earn a spot in valhalla or whatever. The only reason presented in the anime as to why thorfinn is following them is to get revenge, which to me, it's a fucking dumb reason. That's everything the anime tells us and that's what I'm sticking to, if there were other reasons the author forgot to mention, it's his bad. And that's why I said it's poorly delivered.

It's common knowledge. Like, elementary. Even still, Valhalla was explained when Thorfinn was play fighting and he was the first one to die. He talked about it to his friend who also "died" in the game.

The anime concept isn't to "project" our values in Viking's society. As far as I can tell, it's a message about the horrors of war and how it twists innocent people and forces people to join in on needless conflict.

Earning a spot in Valhalla has literally nothing to do with why Thorfinn wants to kill Askeladd. Thorfinn wants to avenge his father's death by killing Askeladd in an honorable duel BECAUSE Askeladd killed his father DISHONORABLY. It's literally spelled out for you in the 5th episode.

Wanting revenge is not a dumb reason. He was raised in an environment where people CONSTANTLY avenge the deaths of their comrades, let alone their fathers.

The author covered all of his bases so far. I don't understand why you're so confused. I'm not trying to be condescending, but I really don't understand how you can't follow 6 episodes worth of prologue. The information given isn't hard to grasp either, it's literally said overtly. Maybe you need to rewatch all of the episodes again.
Aug 14, 2019 3:29 PM

Apr 2018
ChainxBastard said:
vhagar8 said:

It's common knowledge. Like, elementary. Even still, Valhalla was explained when Thorfinn was play fighting and he was the first one to die. He talked about it to his friend who also "died" in the game.

The anime concept isn't to "project" our values in Viking's society. As far as I can tell, it's a message about the horrors of war and how it twists innocent people and forces people to join in on needless conflict.

Earning a spot in Valhalla has literally nothing to do with why Thorfinn wants to kill Askeladd. Thorfinn wants to avenge his father's death by killing Askeladd in an honorable duel BECAUSE Askeladd killed his father DISHONORABLY. It's literally spelled out for you in the 5th episode.

Wanting revenge is not a dumb reason. He was raised in an environment where people CONSTANTLY avenge the deaths of their comrades, let alone their fathers.

The author covered all of his bases so far. I don't understand why you're so confused. I'm not trying to be condescending, but I really don't understand how you can't follow 6 episodes worth of prologue. The information given isn't hard to grasp either, it's literally said overtly. Maybe you need to rewatch all of the episodes again.

The fact that Thorfinn cares more about getting his revenge HONORABLY than actually getting his revenge is what is fucking dumb. If he really cared about avenging his father he'd do it in every way possible. He's willing to go as far as; serve the man who killed his father, help him raiding villages, rejecting his father teachings and start killing people, wait decades to get get his revenge. But he's not willing to go "as far" as killing the man he actually wants to kill in his sleep?
That doesn't make any sense, and it's the poorest characterization I've seen in a long time.
The fact that the anime spells out that in ep 5 doesn't change anything. Acknowledging how bad u are doesn't make u any better. It's not about not understanding the premise, it's about the premise being stupid as fuck.
Aug 14, 2019 3:40 PM
Feb 2016
vhagar8 said:
ChainxBastard said:

The fact that Thorfinn cares more about getting his revenge HONORABLY than actually getting his revenge is what is fucking dumb. If he really cared about avenging his father he'd do it in every way possible. He's willing to go as far as; serve the man who killed his father, help him raiding villages, rejecting his father teachings and start killing people, wait decades to get get his revenge. But he's not willing to go "as far" as killing the man he actually wants to kill in his sleep?
That doesn't make any sense, and it's the poorest characterization I've seen in a long time.
The fact that the anime spells out that in ep 5 doesn't change anything. Acknowledging how bad u are doesn't make u any better. It's not about not understanding the premise, it's about the premise being stupid as fuck.

What you are saying makes no sense.

1) Thorfinn cares about doing it honorably because doing so would bring honor to his FATHER. You don't care about honor personally, which is fine, but HE and this CULTURE does. Why do you think they say, "In the name of [insert ancestor here]," before they engage in an HONORABLE duel?

If he killed Askeladd in his sleep, I.E. in a DISHONORABLE way, THEN HE IS NO BETTER THAN ASKELADD.

2) He's serving him to get stronger in order TO defeat him in a duel. He needs experience in battle, even if it means fighting and pillaging farmers. IN SPITE of this, he still attempted to save the village this episode and tell everyone to run. But it was too late.

3) Thorfinn rejected his father's teachings since episode 2. Come up with a better point.

4) The premise isn't dumb, because it's a critically acclaimed manga series for what I have been told. Everyone sings its praises, but somehow, you know better in spite of your fundamental lack of comprehension.

You can't seem to get over that what Thorfinn is doing makes sense for HIS time period, NOT OURS.

In essence, he's NOT doing what YOU would do, so YOU think it's dumb. That is asinine.

You OBVIOUSLY don't have an honorable bone in your body, but DO NOT PROJECT THAT onto Thorfinn.
Aug 14, 2019 4:56 PM
Jul 2018
ChainxBastard said:
vhagar8 said:

1) Thorfinn cares about doing it honorably because doing so would bring honor to his FATHER. You don't care about honor personally, which is fine, but HE and this CULTURE does. Why do you think they say, "In the name of [insert ancestor here]," before they engage in an HONORABLE duel?

If he killed Askeladd in his sleep, I.E. in a DISHONORABLE way, THEN HE IS NO BETTER THAN ASKELADD.

2) He's serving him to get stronger in order TO defeat him in a duel. He needs experience in battle, even if it means fighting and pillaging farmers. IN SPITE of this, he still attempted to save the village this episode and tell everyone to run. But it was too late.

3) Thorfinn rejected his father's teachings since episode 2. Come up with a better point.

4) The premise isn't dumb, because it's a critically acclaimed manga series for what I have been told. Everyone sings its praises, but somehow, you know better in spite of your fundamental lack of comprehension.

You can't seem to get over that what Thorfinn is doing makes sense for HIS time period, NOT OURS.

In essence, he's NOT doing what YOU would do, so YOU think it's dumb. That is asinine.

You OBVIOUSLY don't have an honorable bone in your body, but DO NOT PROJECT THAT onto Thorfinn.

I have to agree with @ChainxBastard. Maybe if Vinland Saga was set in our period, I'd understand your point more @vhagar8, but it's not. It's set in an era where honor means a lot. I think we should think of it this way:
Thorfinn witnessed his father being dishonorably killed in front of him, when he was a child. This hammers in the, "honor > everything" point in his mind. You're right in that it's stupid that he's willing to do so much to kill Askeladd (participate in pillaging, killing people, etc). Yet, in a twisted way, dishonorably avenging his father crosses that line. Because, as @ChainxBastard has said, from Thorfinn's perspective, he'd be no better than Askeladd.
Aug 14, 2019 5:47 PM

Aug 2019
This really is top notch show. From a fairly pedestrian opening couple of episodes, it has really picked up big time since, and I love the complexity in Thorfinn's morally dubious upbringing, and makes a nice change from the typically shounen-esque morally righteous black or white characters. I understand this is a Seinen so shouldn't be so encumbered with these tropes, but it's a refreshing change none the less.

Having read the manga, I obviously know what is coming, but so far it seems to have been adapted pretty well by WiT.

I don't understand the perceptions by some in this thread that it's too graphic or some of the themes are too raw. The events of the show may not be historically accurate right down a T, but the setting and brutality of that particular period is.
The 10-11th century wasn't all roses and sunshine for everyone. War wasn't pleasant, and women were treated like disposable commodities a lot of the time.

Aug 14, 2019 6:15 PM

Apr 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
ChainxBastard said:

I have to agree with @ChainxBastard. Maybe if Vinland Saga was set in our period, I'd understand your point more @vhagar8, but it's not. It's set in an era where honor means a lot. I think we should think of it this way:
Thorfinn witnessed his father being dishonorably killed in front of him, when he was a child. This hammers in the, "honor > everything" point in his mind. You're right in that it's stupid that he's willing to do so much to kill Askeladd (participate in pillaging, killing people, etc). Yet, in a twisted way, dishonorably avenging his father crosses that line. Because, as @ChainxBastard has said, from Thorfinn's perspective, he'd be no better than Askeladd.

No really. His father was a coward who refused to kill people and ran away from the battlefield, he was literally the dishonor of vikings himslef, he didn't deserve to be treated with honor but to be killed like a dog. If thorfinn really cared about vikings morals, he'd piss on his father tomb.
But I'm the one projecting my morals on the story...
Whenever his porpose is to avenge his father or to honor his memory, it's done poorly
Aug 14, 2019 6:28 PM

Feb 2018
phantomfandom said:

And is this fantasy? A group of highly developed countries were once involced in such an unreasonably barbaric act?

Oh boy, you don't know nothing about human history...
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

165 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 22, 11:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.