Forum Settings
Forums

Evangelion Character Designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto Attracts Criticism Over 'Dismissive' Tweet about Korean Comfort Women Statue

New
Aug 13, 2019 5:11 AM

May 2018
Neon Genesis Evangelion and Summer Wars character designer Yoshiyuki Sadamoto attracted criticism from anime fans around the world over a series of tweets he posted on Friday concerning the “After ‘Freedom of Expression’?” historical art exhibition at the Aichi Prefecture Museum of Art. The exhibition was cancelled three days after its opening due to complaints it received over featuring Kim Seo-kyung and Kim Eun-sung's Statue of Peace (2011) sculpture, which depicts a World War II-era "comfort woman" (the euphemistic term for a woman or underage girl forced to work in military brothels servicing the Imperial Japanese Army). In his tweets, Sadamoto called the statue "dirty" and "vulgar," claiming that the art was simply propaganda with no aesthetic value.

Sadamoto's tweets are translated below:

"A dirty statue of a girl. A movie that shows the Emperor of Japan's photo being burned and then crushed underfoot. It's indistinguishable from a certain country's style of propaganda.

"It has absolutely none of the interesting, beautiful, eye-opening, heartwarming, or intellectually stimulating aspects of what we seek from modern art. It's just vulgar and tedious.

"I was expecting something in the tradition of the Documenta or Setouchi Triennale... what a pity.

"I wanted it to be an art event with academic contemporary art at its core: pottery, bicycles, motorcycles, films, comics, fashion, architecture, and all other kinds of things that were showing up in the prefecture around the same time all showcased and spread out like a stamp rally. Remove the crazy [propaganda]-affirming media and the exhibition could still be redeemed.

"I like Korean wave idols, and if something is aesthetically beautiful then I'll say so frankly.

"If the sculpting is poor and it comes off looking dirty, then of course I'm going to have a different impression when I see it in person. My apologies to the model, if there was one...

"I'm not going to completely reject the act of turning propaganda into art, but honestly speaking, it did not speak to me at all on an artistic level."

The top responses to Sadamoto's comments express disappointment. "As a long-time Eva fan, I'm disappointed," wrote one Korean fan in Japanese. Japanese fans also criticized Sadamoto, such as one fan who wrote: "That statue of a girl was created as a prayer for the girls who were coerced and subjected to sexual violence during the war. It reflects a heart that desires an adequate apology. Various countries such as the Philippines also have statues. The statue gives even Japanese women an opportunity to think about women's rights. And you're calling that dirty?"

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-08-12/evangelion-character-designer-yoshiyuki-sadamoto-attracts-criticism-over-dismissive-tweet-about-korean-comfort-women-statue/.149952

Another Japan revisionism.

Comfort women.
Papa_ScorchAug 21, 2019 6:41 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Aug 13, 2019 6:45 AM

Jul 2015
the term "comfort-woman" alone makes me cringe.
They were disenfranchised sex-slaves who were abused by the worst people that the nation of Japan produced at the time. How anyone can show such blatant disrespect to the victims is beyond me. Sadamoto is yet another piece of shit.

Too bad he's only getting criticised over this, because for saying stuff like that he deserves much worse.

What a groundbreaking disappointment.
"my life at this state could be transposed into a pretty massive biography"

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

MAL's most prolific antivaxxer, Noboru.
Aug 13, 2019 7:44 AM

Nov 2013
This is certainly a Japanese brand of nationalism. Denial and censorship.
Here in America we know how awful we are but just don't care and hang on exclusively to past accomplishments.

I can see you

Aug 13, 2019 7:57 AM

Mar 2011
Railey2 said:
the term "comfort-woman" alone makes me cringe.
They were disenfranchised sex-slaves who were abused by the worst people that the nation of Japan produced at the time. How anyone can show such blatant disrespect to the victims is beyond me. Sadamoto is yet another piece of shit.

Too bad he's only getting criticised over this, because for saying stuff like that he deserves much worse.

What a groundbreaking disappointment.
Agreed. The tactical way the words are framing in the mind and instant placing of the type of woman is quick and effective; led me to cringe as well
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Aug 13, 2019 8:15 AM
Jul 2018
A good way to start in not downplaying it would be to stop using the euphemism "comfort women". That's just shitty. Just say "sex slaves". I think it would ram the point in a lot harder.
Aug 13, 2019 1:09 PM

Jan 2009
japan is getting a lot of nationalist huh i mean even the author of Attack on Titan is a controversial nationalist too
Aug 14, 2019 5:42 PM

Jun 2019
Predictable. Colonial/Japanese-occupied Korea was reduced to a vassal and human resources appropriated like cattle left and right for the war machine. Not just women, but men as well to serve as soldiers and laborers, with the women held in a more degrading way as sexual chattel, but it's no news that is downplayed in Japan.

It's unrealistic when this is the standard viewpoint of a lot of patriotic Japanese to expect something different just because he worked on a famous anime. A person can be highly intelligent and an artistic savant and still hold any number of political positions or an ideology you disagree with. That should go without saying. The only people who are shocked are the types who already think all those who disagree with them are stupid, evil, or crazy cretins devoid of any redeeming qualities and then can't reconcile that with seeing someone they admire stridently opposed to something they take for granted.

In actuality, it's disingenuous when it's suggested that this is unique to Japan. All countries censor and spin their country's government's past or current atrocities and when they don't, it's only because there's someone more powerful controlling that country now. A sizable percentage of the populace of every country thinks their governments past/present are always justified.

The British did the same around 1/4 of the world (including well after WWII) but aren't subject to the same level of scrutiny because they were on the winning side. China, Russia, the U.S. of course too and everyone else doesn't have their hands clean, from either WWII or so many other conflicts. And in none of those countries are their atrocities put center stage in framed in the most objective or neutral way. Massive land conquest, genocide, ethnoreligious cleansing, slavery, and the destruction of lives of tens of millions of people is romanticized or hand-waived away as a footnote.
WatchTillTandavaAug 14, 2019 5:46 PM
Aug 14, 2019 7:13 PM
Mar 2011
im very left wing but i agree with him simply put wf we have ot say sorry for that the us should have to sary sorry and face war crime trlris for the bomb and teh dark shwodow that holds over the Japanese psyche that party or alost fully leed ot the miss hdaing of the Fukashima daichi Crisis

and it a double staned wnat the us have done the j same and worse to japan not the bomb what thye did on Ryukyo of example raping woman over 45% if feamle pupulation were raped by us troops in Ryukyu in 1945 tah is worse than what Japan did in China or Korea or what the USSR idid in germany

that is not from a Japanese source that is a Ryukyuan source note there is a was a huge diffren back then Ryukyu was not fully politically Itagtated until after the great Asian war and Ryukyu still wnats independence ot this day

"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 14, 2019 7:16 PM
Mar 2011
Kyotosomo said:
Unfortunately Japan is much like China in their rewriting of history. I mean it's not like we love talking about the awful crap we've done but over here we spent quite a lot of time in school going over slavery, segregation, and the slaughtering of the Native Americans among other bad things we've done. But you're supposed to learn from your mistakes, not hide them, otherwise we can't progress as a species. Unfortunately we are more and more being pulled into a world we're the concept of people being able to learn from their mistakes is dead.

i doubt us schools get tought about co intel pro and teh backing if dictatrirs or what United Fruit did in Guatemala fro example
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 14, 2019 7:36 PM

Aug 2017
Man, this really sucks. Sadamoto's been one of my favorite visual artists for a long time, and it's almost hard to accept when the people you look up to turn out to be not exactly what you imagined.
Some of you never watched Bakugan Battle Brawlers on TeleToon in 2008 and it shows.
REST IN PEACE KENTAROU MIURA
Aug 14, 2019 8:55 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Excuse my ignorance but what are “comfort women”?
Aug 14, 2019 10:14 PM

Sep 2012
lol. anyone remember that nazi that got acquitted cause his lawyer used the defense of the US having done the exact same things he was being charged for.

Oh maybe, maybe it's the clothes we wear
The tasteless bracelets and the dye in our hair
Or maybe, maybe it's our nowhere towns or our nothing places
But we're trash, you and me
We're the litter on the breeze
We're the lovers on the streets
Just trash, me and you
It's in everything we do
It's in everything we do

Aug 14, 2019 10:16 PM

Oct 2014
MeisterDM said:

Well... Comfort Woman is just a kinder word for Prostitute, Hooker, Whore and etc.
Aug 14, 2019 11:12 PM

Jul 2015
Bourmegar said:
MeisterDM said:

Well... Comfort Woman is just a kinder word for Prostitute, Hooker, Whore and etc.
holy shit that's so wrong, this is unbelievable.

They were prisoners of war who were forced into sexual slavery by the imperial Japanese army, repeatedly raped, and most of the time didn't survive the ordeal.
You should feel fucking ashamed for called them whores. Apologize.

@MeisterDM
If you want to read more about the topic, here's a link. Just beware, it's a really heavy topic.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women

Mod edit: removed abuse
BarnaldAug 15, 2019 10:50 AM

- Cneq, "the guy who was literally using BTC in 2012 to make deals in the first main instance of a digital itemized economy forming naturally in all human history (also the precursor of NFTs) and who had 20k+ total trades.", 23 years old

Aug 15, 2019 4:06 AM

Mar 2008
Well what does the statue look like? Might help me understand what was being said better.
Aug 15, 2019 4:10 AM

Jul 2015
traed said:
Well what does the statue look like? Might help me understand what was being said better.

Pretty much my opinion for now.
Aug 15, 2019 4:15 AM

Feb 2019
I can't understand why they are still called 'comfort-woman'. This is an insult on their ordeals and suffering by using euphemisms to downplay the gravity of the situation.
Aug 15, 2019 5:46 AM

Jul 2007
Deathko said:
traed said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Peace

Certainly not aesthetically pleasing but 'dirty' and 'vulgar' seem a bit over-the-top.
Aug 15, 2019 5:57 AM

Oct 2010
Sadamoto said that the statue represents propaganda and not art, that it doesn't appeal to him, it doesn't fills his spirit like art does. He made some good points and Korea over exagerates, they signed a pact, Japan payed 1 billion yen and the koreans keep shoving feelings of guilt in their faces. Can't they just stop, both of them?
Aug 15, 2019 5:57 AM
Mar 2011
Aastra343 said:
I can't understand why they are still called 'comfort-woman'. This is an insult on their ordeals and suffering by using euphemisms to downplay the gravity of the situation.

what the us did on ryukyu and in Veitman is wrose than what Japan ever did in the east asain war

Aug 15, 2019 5:59 AM

Jul 2015
Scud said:
Deathko said:

Certainly not aesthetically pleasing but 'dirty' and 'vulgar' seem a bit over-the-top.

Well, yeah, it's ugly but hardly something to get mad about.
Aug 15, 2019 5:59 AM
Mar 2011
Catalano said:
Sadamoto said that the statue represents propaganda and not art, that it doesn't appeal to him, it doesn't fills his spirit like art does. He made some good points and Korea over exagerates, they signed a pact, Japan payed 1 billion yen and the koreans keep shoving feelings of guilt in their faces. Can't they just stop, both of them?

not ot mean how many Zakikichi have became famous and big in Japan more tha lest say ainu have

Aug 15, 2019 6:01 AM
Mar 2011
Deathko said:
Scud said:

Well, yeah, it's ugly but hardly something to get mad about.

how the right rant and rave about modern art like bauhus and stuff not sayijg your right wing but there you go

Aug 15, 2019 6:06 AM

Feb 2019
DateYutaka said:
Aastra343 said:

what the us did on ryukyu and in Veitman is wrose than what Japan ever did in the east asain war
I don't think my criticism of the war crimes committed by Japan implies a defense of the US, actually I'd never downplay the US' many more war offenses.
Aug 15, 2019 6:07 AM

Oct 2010
DateYutaka said:
Catalano said:

not ot mean how many Zakikichi have became famous and big in Japan more tha lest say ainu have

Now that you mention it, Romi Park, Tadanari Lee. That's a weird word: zakikichi, it rimes with kimchi.
Aug 15, 2019 6:11 AM

Jul 2019
You really should not neglect how politicised the topic is at this point. The issue of comfort women is as the massacre of Nanjing something that will resurface every couple of years mostly in the context of territorial disputes as the Dodko/Takeshima islands with Korea and the Senkaku/Diaoyutai islands with China.

In the case of comfort women the Japanese government payed reperations and way before that a private Japanese initiative had gathered funds for the victims. However, the victims deemed the total sum as too low. The South-Korean side also doubted the sincerity of any of the official apologies thus far, a common theme in foreign policy in North-East Asia.

In political relations many doubt that China and Korea will ever let go of the issues since it provides them with political leverage in bilateral negotiations and a way ro create national unity. Nationalist Japanese politicians like Tokyo's former mayor Shintaro Ishihara on the other hand try to disinguish themselves by outright denying it. If I had to assume Sadamoto's view comes from a point of view of defiance over the political dimension.
Aug 15, 2019 6:42 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
He's criticizing the art even though it is intended to be a small and simple statue with just a symbolical meaning rather than some awe-inspiring and pompous monument.

Calling it propaganda is absurd though. It is not that hard to admit that Japan did plenty of fucked up things during that period.
149597871Aug 15, 2019 6:53 AM
Aug 15, 2019 9:53 AM

Oct 2014
Railey2 said:
Bourmegar said:

holy shit that's so wrong, this is unbelievable.

They were prisoners of war who were forced into sexual slavery by the imperial Japanese army, repeatedly raped, and most of the time didn't survive the ordeal.
You should feel fucking ashamed for called them whores.. Apologize.

@MeisterDM
If you want to read more about the topic, here's a link. Just beware, it's a really heavy topic.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women

I'm sorry. I did not really thought out my answer that well.

I only learned about this while reading this threat and did not really go into that.
So Sorry for my Rude, unthoughtful, Ignorant, Ideotic, Terrible Answer.

I should feel Ashamed of this............

Mod edit: edited quoted post
BarnaldAug 15, 2019 10:50 AM
Aug 15, 2019 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
The political opinions of a character designer shouldn't really be of any interest.
Aug 15, 2019 1:05 PM

Jan 2019
Comfort Women reparations are simply the east's version of the milked to death holocaust reparations of Europe or even the proposed slavery reparations in the United States. Japan already paid and apologized for their offenses, America isn't pressuring Japan over the Bataan death march anymore since the debt has been paid, at this point Korea is just pressing the issue for political/economic gain.

I totally catch Yoshiyuki's drift.
Aug 15, 2019 3:32 PM

Feb 2015
Yeah I'm not really sure what to say about this this isn't my business people make their own private affairs and situations all there is to it.
Aug 15, 2019 11:34 PM
Aug 2019
The USA that dropped two nukes on Japan wrote a report that the comfort women were paid thus prostitutes. The existence of comfort women isn't denied by the most extreme Japanese Uber-Nationalists. It's whether they were forced into slavery, but what constitutes slavery when you're prostituting is subjective.

South Korea chooses to engage with this by building memorials of them directly in front of Japanese embassies while not saying a thing about how the USA did far worse to them because they want money.
Aug 16, 2019 12:29 AM

Aug 2015
You can easily spot some Japanese ultra-nationalists and apologists in this thread.
Aug 16, 2019 12:38 AM
Aug 2019
MusicBee said:
You can easily spot some Japanese ultra-nationalists and apologists in this thread.
This viewpoint has something to do with Kathmandu being full of billboards and flyers advertising Japanese lessons and work opportunities in Japan?
Aug 16, 2019 12:41 AM

Aug 2015
fulohe1 said:
MusicBee said:
This viewpoint has something to do with Kathmandu being full of billboards and flyers advertising Japanese lessons and work opportunities in Japan?
I mean whats your point?We also have full of billboards and flyers advertising korean lessons and work opportunities in korea.How is that even related to this topic?
ultravigoAug 16, 2019 12:47 AM
Aug 16, 2019 5:39 AM

Jan 2013
MusicBee said:
How very observant of you.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 16, 2019 6:58 AM

Feb 2015
Wait, I'm not sure if I understand this. So Sadamoto hates the statue because he doesn't want to feel guilty for Japan's past crimes, is that correct? If that's the case, then that's all sorts of YIKES
Aug 16, 2019 12:33 PM

Jan 2019
AshitaNoJonas said:
Wait, I'm not sure if I understand this. So Sadamoto hates the statue because he doesn't want to feel guilty for Japan's past crimes, is that correct? If that's the case, then that's all sorts of YIKES

There is no cause for "Yikes" since he has no reason to feel guilt for something he never did. He is not denying that Imperial Japan committed transgressions, he is rightfully showing disgust in yet another iteration of propaganda attempting to instill guilt on his country.

I will never understand why people feel the need to push the burden of guilt from the past onto the current generation, if anything it just makes it harder to build constructive relationships with eachother. And when does the it end? Am I supposed to feel guilt because my ancestors fought with the Confederacy or is there an expiration-date on guilt?
Aug 16, 2019 12:51 PM

Oct 2015
I've heard that If you conceal your nation's messed up acts hard enough, they stop existing. What a brilliant idea!

Aug 16, 2019 6:04 PM
Mar 2018
he said there was a movie there too... is no one gonna comment on that?
The statue was a beautiful prayer for victims of rape, but the movie... it kinda sounds like hateful and racist anti japanese propaganda that some chinese/korean ultranationalists would make...
also the Japanese ultranationists here are one of the Japanese people's own worst enemy's because they make the Japanese who love their country look like assholes... always remember you only see the morons ones that make noise... and not the kind and calm that stayed silent(because they do not want to get emotionally involved).
Super_ProtolightAug 16, 2019 6:15 PM
what?
Aug 16, 2019 10:36 PM
Jul 2011
I haven't watched this series since i'm not interested.
I only read the summaries.
Main characters like Shinji, Rei, and Asuka.
Made me wonder what would they say about this.

To me, this statue is like a tombstone.
But maybe it is something more than that to others I guess.
Aug 18, 2019 6:22 AM

Oct 2012
Yikes!! That is certainly depressing. The japanese school system and government needs to be more honest about the atrocities they committed during the war. That sort of ignorance breeds people like this.
Aug 18, 2019 1:35 PM

Nov 2011
someone compared Japans war crime with US past crime in Guattemala.
i dont know what kind of junk history is taught in Japan, but regardig Guatemala:

Unites States already apologized to Guatemala in 1999

Mr Clinton made the apology in Guatemala City during his current four-nation visit to central America. It followed the publication last month of the findings of the independent Historical Clarification Commission which concluded that the US was responsible for most of the human rights abuses committed during the 36-year war in which 200,000 people died.
'It is important that I state clearly that support for military forces or intelligence units which engaged in violent and widespread repression of the kind described in the report was wrong,' Mr Clinton said. 'And the United States must not repeat that mistake. We must and we will instead continue to support the peace and reconciliation process in Guatemala.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/1999/mar/12/jeremylennard.martinkettle

and again in 2010 over a syphilis experiment during the 1940s

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States apologized on Friday for an experiment conducted in the 1940s in which U.S. government researchers deliberately infected Guatemalan prison inmates, women and mental patients with syphilis. In the experiment, aimed at testing the then-new drug penicillin, inmates were infected by prostitutes and later treated with the antibiotic.

“The sexually transmitted disease inoculation study conducted from 1946-1948 in Guatemala was clearly unethical,” Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a statement.

“Although these events occurred more than 64 years ago, we are outraged that such reprehensible research could have occurred under the guise of public health. We deeply regret that it happened, and we apologize to all the individuals who were affected by such abhorrent research practices,” the statement said

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-guatemala-experiment/u-s-apologizes-for-syphilis-experiment-in-guatemala-idUSTRE6903RZ20101001

to this date, despite an outcry asking for a simple and straight apology, Japan not only refuses to own up to their past, they honor and pay respect to the war criminals.
of course, they also handpick history books that will either completely ignore the war crimes by Japan or severely downplay the war crimes by Japan during the imperial occupation of China and S Korea.

compare that to Germany, who not only publicly apologized multiple times over the holocaust, they codified into law that makes denying the holocaust illegal and teaching about the holocaust is mandatory in schools:

The Holocaust is a mandatory part of German's education curriculum. But the quality and scope of the lessons are left up to the states, each of which have jurisdiction over their education curriculum.
"The first time we spoke about the Holocaust was in eighth grade," says Anneke Frommen, a high school student in Dusseldorf. "we discussed it in history class as well as in bilingual lessons." She said that they learnt all about the Second World War but didn’t focus ion any particular event.
"No Holocaust survivor ever visited our school, but we visited concentration camps where we held workshops. I am quite satisfied with how the subject of the Holocaust is handled in German schools because I believe that it is a matter that is constantly present and is very important."
Anna Laura, also from Dusseldorf said that her class read Anne Frank's Diary and focused on the atrocities committed during the war. "We discussed the subject all year long," she said. "I think that the school is doing good work by teaching the youth about the matter and by not ignoring the horrors (that were committed)."

https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5502926,00.html
you want to bury the incident and make amendments? follow Germany's example instead of censoring the topic in your schools and making non-apologies.
it certainly would help if you stopped honoring the criminals. imagine if Germany paid homage to Hitler and the nazi soldiers.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Aug 18, 2019 1:58 PM

May 2013
Well it sounds like it's just his opinion of a show, no need to take it to heart. He might feel differently tomorrow ya know?

That being said he's probably defending himself a bit as someone who has drawn many women who are sexy as can be, which isn't always that socially enlightened of a thing to do (let me tell you..)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Aug 19, 2019 2:57 AM

Dec 2016
i understand where he's coming from, but he probably could have chosen his words better.

on the other hand, i am curious as to the comment that the statue "gives japanese women an opportunity to think about women's rights?" of course, it's representative of sexual slavery but surely that's not so involved with modern women's rights?
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 19, 2019 1:37 PM

Apr 2015
Honestly fuck those people who got so angry over a memorial statue and even call such a thing a propaganda, because they can't stand feeling negative thoughts over their nation. I hoped the museum would have continued the exhibition, bigger fuck you to that person who threatened to bring gasoline in the museum. Don't know about the movie but why get angry over some one disrespecting a past emperor Hirohito, when they have a good reason because you know war crimes.

photophobic said:
on the other hand, i am curious as to the comment that the statue "gives japanese women an opportunity to think about women's rights?" of course, it's representative of sexual slavery but surely that's not so involved with modern women's rights?

The little I have heard of Japan's feminist movement it focuses heavily on breaking traditional strict gender roles and on women's sexuality, since those people feel even the topic itself is restricted and disregarded for men's sexuality. But if it was more to reflect women's rights in general Pakistani (christians majority) women have been sold and trafficked to China to be wives or prostitutes and it still continues.
konkeloAug 19, 2019 1:44 PM
Aug 20, 2019 5:27 AM

Feb 2016
Old man gives his tedious and outdated take on a topic he's got no particularly notable credibility in. What else is new?
Aug 20, 2019 6:19 AM

Jul 2015
DiscoDespot said:
AshitaNoJonas said:

There is no cause for "Yikes" since he has no reason to feel guilt for something he never did. He is not denying that Imperial Japan committed transgressions, he is rightfully showing disgust in yet another iteration of propaganda attempting to instill guilt on his country.

I will never understand why people feel the need to push the burden of guilt from the past onto the current generation, if anything it just makes it harder to build constructive relationships with eachother. And when does the it end? Am I supposed to feel guilt because my ancestors fought with the Confederacy or is there an expiration-date on guilt?
no you arent supposed to feel guilt, but then again nobody does so this is a strawman.
What do you think how many people on the left actually feel guilty about things that happened before they were born? The answer is fucking nobody.

This continuous reframing of the recognition of past crimes as feeling guilty is a right-wing narrative that aims to paint people who oppose the committed atrocities as irrational, and you're falling for it.

In other words,

Normal people: we should recognise these crimes for what they are, make payments to the victims and put up monuments so that we can remember the crimes and make sure that they don't happen again.

Right-wing apologists: Zomg! You're feeling guilty for something you didn't do, you irrational lunatic!

Do you not see what's going on here? The guilt-narrative is a lie, literally nobody actually feels guilty. It's just meant to make certain people look bad, and that strategy is succeeding.

Aug 20, 2019 12:18 PM

Jan 2019
Railey2 said:
DiscoDespot said:

no you arent supposed to feel guilt, but then again nobody does so this is a strawman.
What do you think how many people on the left actually feel guilty about things that happened before they were born? The answer is fucking nobody.

I don't expect many people on the left or right feel real guilt over transgressions of the past, but whats very real is leveraging social pressure to get others to display the feeling of guilt, which of course leads to the "guilt-ridden" party transferring assets to the other party.

Railey2 said:
This continuous reframing of the recognition of past crimes as feeling guilty is a right-wing narrative that aims to paint people who oppose the committed atrocities as irrational, and you're falling for it.

In other words,

Normal people: we should recognise these crimes for what they are, make payments to the victims and put up monuments so that we can remember the crimes and make sure that they don't happen again.

Right-wing apologists: Zomg! You're feeling guilty for something you didn't do, you irrational lunatic!

I think you are misunderstanding both my post and this particular situation in Korea/Japan. Japan has already apologized and payed out reparations for their offenses. My post never stated that I disagreed with this, Japan needed to apologize and pay for the forced labor/sex slavery, (which they have done) but what my post is criticizing is the double jeopardy accusations from Korea. Korea refuses to let go and continues to try and leverage Japan's war crimes against them. What S. Korea has been doing is hardly about remembrance and is more about bargaining chips, the chips in this case being Japanese guilt-payments for war crimes.

War monuments are fine, but when the events they represent are still politicized these 'monuments' can be weaponized as propaganda. For example S. Korea putting comfort women monuments so close to the Japanese embassy in S. Korea, it is obviously meant to be a source of provocation rather than remembrance.

Railey2 said:

Do you not see what's going on here? The guilt-narrative is a lie, literally nobody actually feels guilty. It's just meant to make certain people look bad, and that strategy is succeeding.

Well duh. Guilt is simply another pawn in the game. Party A criticizes Party B for not feeling guilty while Party B will criticize Party A for constantly trying to instill guilt - AKA modern politics.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.