Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Aug 11, 2019 5:33 PM

May 2015
Taito10 said:
Mythologically said:
The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎..

No, in this series some people have super strength or super agility. It is not realistic anime, you should already know this after episode four.

they are parkour and freerunning experts
Aug 11, 2019 5:34 PM
Aug 2019
Taito10 said:
Mythologically said:
The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎..

No, in this series some people have super strength or super agility. It is not realistic anime, you should already know this after episode four.

This.

I watch this anime because of the story telling. I've heard that this anime has very interesting characters & interactions, and beyond that, the fact that the story is loosely tied to real world events...

For instance the show 'Vikings' follows real-life historical figures but is dramatized. It isn't a documentary, but that's not why it's commercially successful, critically-acclaimed show.

Oct 2017
phantomfandom said:
I can accept that Thorfinn fall into dark side, but with the same group that kill his father?
And is this fantasy? A group of highly developed countries were once involced in such an unreasonably barbaric act?
Also a little bit funny story of mine, I watch this anime because a decade ago my friend recommend me a masterpiece manga. I mistakenly remember that manga as Vinland Saga, but recently my friend correct me it's actually 'Vagabond' (and there's no anime adaptation yet).

They aren't highly developed? Plus these are raiders, mercs and pirates not established Danish forces sent to soften the Kingdom up for the real invasion. Raids like this were common during this era though this is towards the end of the VIking Age.

Also he is following them because if he leaves likely he will never find Askeladd again. He doesn't really have much of a way home at this point either. He wants to kill him in an honorable duel similar to justify what his father did.

As for Vinland it's pretty highly rated too only a few points down from Vagabond. That series also will very unlikely ever get an anime adaption due to it's art being nigh impossible to adapt correctly (way too photo realistic and detailed I can't see any anime adaption ever doing it justice).
Trickster

Jun 2011
We finally begin to see Thorfinn's transformation. The brutality of war is on full display in this episode. This episode tells how truly awful Thorfinn's fate is, having to work with Vikings to be able to avenge his father. I wonder how many years its been?

Felt so bad for the English family who helped him. I think we can all guess what their fate was, as disgusting as it might be. It goes to show how far Thorfinn has fallen.
Aug 11, 2019 5:39 PM
Jul 2015
Fuck, Thorfinn has become an asshole. He works with the people that killed his father. He's helping them kill other fathers (and the rest of the families), rape women and do many other disgusting things. He's being really really selfish.
I already found it hard to care for him from the beginning because of his selfishness (it's nothing new really), but this makes it even harder. I get that he's blinded by revenge, but this is really, really extreme. He's aiding them in killing whole villages just to get to fight Askeladd.
Hopefully he'll properly realise what he's doing soon and changes. I don't really want to watch him being incredibly selfish and cruel much more.
Aug 11, 2019 5:47 PM
Jul 2015
TolkienFan365 said:

Also he is following them because if he leaves likely he will never find Askeladd again. He doesn't really have much of a way home at this point either. He wants to kill him in an honorable duel similar to justify what his father did.

Lol there's absolutely nothing honourable about what he's currently doing. The duel won't be very honourable if he got there by helping Askeladd and his men kill and rape entire villages. He can stay with them all he wants, but actually helping them is an entirely different thing.
I get that he's blinded by revenge, but this is really extreme.
Aug 11, 2019 5:53 PM

Nov 2014
Short_Circut said:
ttcchen said:
talking about the monogatari series just what the hell made it so popular??? I tried watching it but it's just so confusing as if they're making it abstract just for the sake of confusing people into thinking "omg this is so confusing which must means this is something deep and meaningful that's beyond my understanding!"

It's because of its fun cast who has some of the best character chemistry in anime in general lol (at least to most people that is). Same reason why Bunny Girl Senpai is also quite popular albeit only the 1st 2 arcs had great chemistry imo
oh ok so people love it for the characters not for the actual plot/story right?? I had high hopes for this show thinking it must have a really unique story to have so many fans fall in love with it despite its confusing abstractness. I guess they just love the cute girls and their harem relationship with araragi.
Aug 11, 2019 6:00 PM

Sep 2014
Marrone said:
Chri_desu_ne said:

Shit, it started good but it's getting worse. I hate MC-driven powers.

Lol Askeladd drives the story in Prologue not Thorfinn. Keep chatting crap you will realise how jumping to conclusions makes you look like a clown later.

"Keep chatting crap". Thorfinn became number 1 elite soldier in what? Months? But time is not the point. You don't get good at PvP if you don't train in PvP. Fighting a tree with a knife is not PvP training. Can you call directly killing people from 0 training? Not really, the point in training is that you try doing something, you fail, you improve. Going directly to war doesn't give you the chance to fail and then improve, because when you fail you die.
Aug 11, 2019 6:02 PM

Jan 2017
This is the reason I didn't want to begin watching the show before it finished airing. I got curious and saw the first episode, ended up watching everything that aired. Now I need to go trough the agony of waiting weekly.
Aug 11, 2019 6:08 PM
Aug 2019
TolkienFan365 said:

Thorfinn is also able to help keep Askelaad from dying...like Thorfinn throwing the dagger at the guy attacking askelaad from behind, and Thorfinn scouting the area before askelaad's team lands at the village makes it less likely that are ambushed (like they were at the start of the episode.

He can't fight askelaad if askelaad has already been killed by someone else.

I also think "honorable" just means facing Askelaad straight-up without any tricks.
Aug 11, 2019 6:14 PM

Aug 2018
First blood drew for Thorfinn, followed by buckets of blood spilled actually eh

He eventually chose his way, in other words attacking villages by the sea, taking lives and looting : classic way of life for a Vikings. I believe there will so many more bloodbathes later on lol, but I honestly appreciate that it ain't too censored.
Aug 11, 2019 6:17 PM
Aug 2018
Samoan said:
ManThighs said:

I'm only on episode 11 of Kimetsu rn, and it has to be one of the worst anime I've seen in a while. Aside from the pretty art and animation, everything else is done so poorly, I don't understand how people praise the show so much.
lol do you think that the others shows like OPM mob AOT fate.. Have a great story all of them have average story it The direction and execution the animation sound art the awesome fight scene who give them taht hype remove that and you will have nothing none of them can make it to score 8. just look at OPM season 1 and 2

There is nothing wrong with an average story, what matters is the execution of that story. Kimetsu no Yaiba's execution is one of the worst I've ever seen. The world building is dreadful, the characters are bland and annoying, and the humour is awful (rarely funny and the comedic timing is often off). OPM, Mob, AOT, (I haven't seen fate), all have other things going for them besides good animation and art. Kimetsu no Yaiba has nothing loveable about it from what I've seen so far.
Aug 11, 2019 6:18 PM
Nov 2018
One thing: In Nordic languages, the whole era was called the Viking era, and everyone in the North were called Vikings. Not like in English, where Northerners at the time are called Norse, and only the travelers are called Vikings.

But even in English, Viking meant not just raiders but also those who traded. Of course most of the time they traded.

Also, it wasn't just the Vikings who raided. Everyone did in those days - before England was united, the small kingdoms were attacking each other, and there were raids across the borders on the continent. The Vikings were just much better at it, so they got this reputation. And the English wrote the history books. "From the wrath of the Norsemen, save us Lord."

Love the story, of course. It's great to see a Viking story. Love the nuances, and I hope Thorfinn grows up to be what his father hoped for him to be. After lots of interesting combat.

But why isn't anyone using shields? Perhaps in the manga, shields would clog the panels. I understand that. But in real life, Vikings as well as everyone else used shields. It would have been suicide for a man with only a sword to fight a man with a sword and shield. (Try it with sticks, you'll see.)

Vikings fought in Shield Walls. If you have seen the TV show Vikings, you see them do this very efficiently in England, and it's accurate. They were more disciplined fighters than you'll see in action-packed images.

Viking shields were a clever construction. They were specifically made to be weak, so you used many of them. The shield was put together by boards and would catch an enemy sword in the cracks between the boards. Then when the sword was stuck, the enemy was easy prey. You painted the shield to make the cracks harder to see.
Aug 11, 2019 6:20 PM
Aug 2018
For all the people bitching about how he shouldn't be able to kill people, I have to question if we've been watching the same show. His dad was extremely OP and it only makes sense that as his son he'd be at least half as strong. Even if we factor in his age and inexperience, he still has trained and fought vigorously with people who kill, loot, and steal for a living.
Aug 11, 2019 6:23 PM

Oct 2017
JakkoFourEyes said:
TolkienFan365 said:

Lol there's absolutely nothing honourable about what he's currently doing. The duel won't be very honourable if he got there by helping Askeladd and his men kill and rape entire villages. He can stay with them all he wants, but actually helping them is an entirely different thing.

Honor is a subjective thing for Thorfinn it's just about fighting fair the weak die the strong survive which is a mentality he starts to hold as he sees this stuff around him. Also while he is helping them again these places were going to be hit even if he killed Askeladd in cold blood now. Not to mention he has to fight for his own needs food etc. He has no skills, no way to get home (the distance to from Iceland to Britain is far using sailing ships plus he has no knowledge of navigation and you got all the other problems with sailing like pirates, weather etc), can't speak the language and most natives would murder him once he opened his mouth.

Not saying what Thorfinn's doing is right and the story doesn't reinforce his beliefs at all. While he can be smart in terms of fighting and survival he has a very narrow view and ultimately misunderstood his father. His actions are ones that many rightfully would look at as wrong if not evil in maybe some cases. So I am not saying what he is doing is honorable I am saying in his mind killing Askeladd one on one would give some meaning in Thors death to Thorfinn. That and again he is also just surviving he kinda was forced into this life when he stowed away.
BilboBaggins365Aug 11, 2019 6:28 PM
Aug 11, 2019 6:30 PM

Oct 2018
JakkoFourEyes said:
TolkienFan365 said:

But does he care at all about raping is the thing?
Aug 11, 2019 6:37 PM
Sep 2016
Chri_desu_ne said:
Marrone said:

Lol Askeladd drives the story in Prologue not Thorfinn. Keep chatting crap you will realise how jumping to conclusions makes you look like a clown later.

"Keep chatting crap". Thorfinn became number 1 elite soldier in what? Months? But time is not the point. You don't get good at PvP if you don't train in PvP. Fighting a tree with a knife is not PvP training. Can you call directly killing people from 0 training? Not really, the point in training is that you try doing something, you fail, you improve. Going directly to war doesn't give you the chance to fail and then improve, because when you fail you die.

the first kill is not in the manga is anime original but in general the first part before the village is filler, in the second part the age is not clear but it should be 14 years in the next episode he should be 16 years old. the manga does not tell how thorfhin has adapted to the band or how he has learned to fight, if you can invent a story that satisfies you is as canon as the anime
Aug 11, 2019 6:37 PM
Aug 2013
nanashi796 said:
Ahri-is-cute said:
Can someone tell me that the mother is alive?
all dead and young girls raped
you show no mercy hahaha
Aug 11, 2019 6:42 PM

Oct 2017
ManThighs said:
For all the people bitching about how he shouldn't be able to kill people, I have to question if we've been watching the same show. His dad was extremely OP and it only makes sense that as his son he'd be at least half as strong. Even if we factor in his age and inexperience, he still has trained and fought vigorously with people who kill, loot, and steal for a living.

For some reason people think there needs to be 100% realism because this is a historic drama and because this story has fantastical elements that is an actual flaw and not artistic license. Honestly most historic shows tend to fail to actually capture proper combat even those that do like say HBO's Rome they still have plenty of exaggerated elements in some scenes for dramatic effect that aren't close to real.

Vinland's combat isn't realistic if you really don't like that best to just drop it. I see it as an exaggerated telling of history which there are actual historic records like that (see Romance of the Three Kingdoms which has more crazy stuff than this). The first two kills Thorfinn gets though I actually think is somewhat believable in getting them while shocked or least expecting. Though any 2 on 1 fight your 90% likely to die in.
Aug 11, 2019 6:56 PM

May 2015
Mythologically said:
Taito10 said:

"haha the MC is randomly overpowered"
"No, some other people are randomly overpowered"

Damn, what an astute point! Got me there!

You might as well drop this. He's only going to become a better fighter from this point onward, and it's obvious that your fixation on realism is hindering your enjoyment of the show.

Aug 11, 2019 6:57 PM
Apr 2016
That was just painful, this show is painful. The regret in saving Thorfinn, regret was straight up on her face, clear to see, hope shattered. Quite the life Thorfinn ended up living, as a monster.
Aug 11, 2019 7:12 PM

May 2015
Mythologically said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

You might as well drop this. He's only going to become a better fighter from this point onward, and it's obvious that your fixation on realism is hindering your enjoyment of the show.

No, my enjoyment is mainly hindered by the lack of any excitement whatsoever. Besides for Thors vs Askeladd, which I really enjoyed, I've been struggling to stay awake throughout this show. The lack of realism was just a small point that I brought up in my first post due to it slightly annoying me, but now that about 28 people have quoted me on it, I'm actually starting to care about it.

The story is a slow burn, especially in the beginning. I know it's cliche to say that stories "get better", but it definitely applies here. Once we get past all of this flashback and build up, there's a lot more exciting things to come. All I'm gonna say is that there's a reason why so many people praise this first arc.

Aug 11, 2019 7:48 PM

Apr 2018
Another great episode. And that piano ost in the background kinda reminds me of tokyo ghoul, both has that similar piano ost kinda thing (lol)
TsukuyomiREKT said:
"hurr durr he shouldn't be able to kill grown men hurr durr"
don't know why but this post put a smile on my face.
Aug 11, 2019 7:52 PM

Jan 2009
tragedy and too much evil violence humanity should never go back on those ages
Aug 11, 2019 7:52 PM
Jun 2015
ManThighs said:
LalatinaDarkness said:

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.

I'm only on episode 11 of Kimetsu rn, and it has to be one of the worst anime I've seen in a while. Aside from the pretty art and animation, everything else is done so poorly, I don't understand how people praise the show so much.
Its all about the eye candy animation.
Aug 11, 2019 9:07 PM

Aug 2018
AcceleratorAngel said:
So did they adapt chapter 1 and 2 of the manga yet with future thorfinn, and the slave girl?

They skipped to the part where the girl and her daughter save him and give him food and he tries to tell them to run away but they dont listen
Aug 11, 2019 9:31 PM

Feb 2019
AcceleratorAngel said:
So did they adapt chapter 1 and 2 of the manga yet with future thorfinn, and the slave girl?

Chapter 1 of the manga will be episode 7 of the anime (means next week)

Here`s the preview ~ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s53wNitaNqo
Aug 11, 2019 9:33 PM
Jan 2018
LalatinaDarkness said:
shane_nichols said:
Ya know Kimetsu may have better animation and godlike visuals, but Vinland has a much better story. I love em both in different ways.

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.

As much as I understand the whole story > animation which I totally agree on, Animation can elevate a show dramatically. Just compare OPM season 1 to 2. One is borderline a masterpiece for taking something so simple and doing it right and the other is just mediocre seasonal anime already forgotten. Demon Slayer has won the heart of anime fans and picked the curiosity of none anime fans. For an anime to be trending worldwide, that itself is worthy of AOTY
Aug 11, 2019 10:26 PM
Oct 2016
Can anyone tell me if this episode was filler like last week or followed the manga right?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2019 10:37 PM

May 2014
ProofByColor said:
So good man. What a brutal moment for Thorrfinn and that poor old lady. I doubt many of those villagers made it out alive. Besides that I really liked how they showed Thorfinn getting his first kill and then later getting two daggers.

Thorfinn be like:

ttcchen said:
talking about the monogatari series just what the hell made it so popular??? I tried watching it but it's just so confusing as if they're making it abstract just for the sake of confusing people into thinking "omg this is so confusing which must means this is something deep and meaningful that's beyond my understanding!"

Monogatari is not that confusing and deep. Supernatural plot is good but nothing outstanding by itself, but the show uses their audiovisual features in general as a part of the narrative by creating a proper setting and emphasizing dialogues (it has a lot) and characters interaction, all in order to make the show more attractive and interesting to see. It might sound a little bit pretentious, but it works pretty well.

That, and what Short_Circut said about character chemistry (and characters by themselves).
Rhapsody-Aug 11, 2019 10:50 PM
Aug 11, 2019 11:09 PM

Jan 2014
Mythologically said:
Taito10 said:

"haha the MC is randomly overpowered"
"No, some other people are randomly overpowered"

Damn, what an astute point! Got me there!

MC is not randomly overpowered (he's son of Troll) and I never said that he is not overpowered because he is.
Aug 11, 2019 11:14 PM

Apr 2018
Arethusa_Vespera said:
Jfs_ said:
Another great episode. And that piano ost in the background kinda reminds me of tokyo ghoul, both has that similar piano ost kinda thing (lol)

Fun fact: the music composer for VS, Yutaka Yamada, is the same person that did the music for Tokyo Ghoul.
oh right! How can I forgot that both shows had the same composer, no wonder they feels so similar.
Aug 11, 2019 11:17 PM

Feb 2019
245678 said:
Can anyone tell me if this episode was filler like last week or followed the manga right?

First half is anime original, second half where the old lady and her daughter found and save Thorfinn is from manga (chapter 17 if I remember correctly).
Aug 11, 2019 11:20 PM
Jun 2019
Very nice and symbolic episode!The feels were real.

Can someone clarify me this? Is there no blood on Thorfinn's knife after he kills the soldiers? Because his sword looks crystal clear even after killing someone. Or is it because I watched it in 360p?(Shitty net couldnt help it)
Aug 11, 2019 11:42 PM

Feb 2019
v_max said:
Very nice and symbolic episode!The feels were real.

Can someone clarify me this? Is there no blood on Thorfinn's knife after he kills the soldiers? Because his sword looks crystal clear even after killing someone. Or is it because I watched it in 360p?(Shitty net couldnt help it)

When he stab the soldier who pinned him down there was blood then again you can see him swing his daggers many times, after that when he put up a fighting stance cuz 2 more soldiers going to attack him his daggers had no blood anymore.

Aug 12, 2019 12:04 AM

Feb 2014
Its sad to see that Thorfinn can't even move forward to love that he got. His first kill made him lust for more.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Aug 12, 2019 12:05 AM

Jan 2013
Absolutely fantastic episode, minus some bad 3D CGI.
Aug 12, 2019 12:35 AM
Oct 2017
Chri_desu_ne said:
Marrone said:

Years. He's pretty much train every moment he's awake and has the chance, if not in actual battle. Also heavily implied to inherit inhuman strength/skill from his father.
Aug 12, 2019 12:44 AM

Oct 2011
great episode! finally we get to see thorfinn grow up a little.. waited for this since ep.3

i think its good thorfinn couldn't return affection to them, its just show how broken he is which makes him even more cool plus its good for the series, it would be lame if he wasnt broken..

his first kill was nice not particularly accurate but good..

I'd really wanna see what have become of ylva though. i know the series isn't supposed to focus on her but she was introduced as such a strong and loved character that you cant forget her.
Aug 12, 2019 1:17 AM
Nov 2011
I like the series, it's very engaging but for me character development has taken me out of the Viking age.

We had the cute granny talking like a Japanese grandmother would and Thorfinn starts to remind me like characters in Attack on Titan (from scared to determined like Armin). And the Vikings were challenging the archers like ronin would do. They're acting anime Japanese while being in Europe, it just took me out of the immersion.

I've read a lot about the accuracy of Vinland Sagas but emotions and character portrayals are left to our imagination of course. It's drawn from past experience in anime making.

I guess I'm one of the few, the show's hugely popular in the end. I'll just have to adjust my point of reference.
Aug 12, 2019 1:19 AM

Jul 2016
Animation quality seems to have drooped a bit in this one, but they definitely made up for it in directing. That last scene where Thorfinn and the old woman both disappear into the crowd in different ways, and the final shot of the comb.

Also, someone please give Shizuka Ishigami an award for young Thorfinn. I'm guessing that Yuuto Uemura is taking over the role now, is that right? If it is, he's got some pretty big shoes to fill
Aug 12, 2019 2:53 AM

Apr 2015
This has to be the best episode from the series so far. Even though we only had less than 10 minutes of interaction of Thorfinn and the old lady, it was heartbreaking in the end when she cried. I hope Thorfinn will carry that image to his grave.

Also, did she break the comb? Or was it stepped on?
Aug 12, 2019 3:07 AM
Jul 2018
Feeling so sorry for the old lady and her daugther.
Aug 12, 2019 3:10 AM

Sep 2014
Niello said:

Years. He's pretty much train every moment he's awake and has the chance, if not in actual battle. Also heavily implied to inherit inhuman strength/skill from his father.

I hope the anime will dwell into the inhuman power of the bloodline then.
Aug 12, 2019 3:11 AM
Jul 2019
ManThighs said:
LalatinaDarkness said:

The story of demon slayer is average at best. It's the sakuga fest from ufotable that makes it a decent series.Some people lost their mind after last episode. That's why they are hyping it. Don't expect too much from it. But it is worth watching at least for episode 19.
Aug 12, 2019 3:13 AM
Jul 2019
killerqueen2000 said:
ttcchen said:

thats basically it lol. the style is pretty unique but its only the style. its not really deep whatsoever. its just presented in a different way compared to other series and I don't understand why people think its good. The fan service just makes it worse too. especially some of the weird scenes in the series
Only bakemonagatari was watchable for me. Dropped it after next season because of that weird toothbrush scene.
Aug 12, 2019 3:44 AM

Apr 2016
i see thorfinn and i burst into tears send tweet
moe moe ichijou seiya

Aug 12, 2019 3:59 AM
Jul 2019
His dad always use to say...war is not a good thing...if this doesn't change something in his eyes than nothing will...wrong way to put it script writer...just a wrong way.
Aug 12, 2019 4:00 AM

Aug 2015
A great episode. Lots of fighting and bodies dropping everywhere. Such a hard life for Thorfinn on the battlefield. Great to see him improving his fighting skills. You can tell he doesn't really want to do this but has no choice. Can't wait to see how he is further developed as a character.
Aug 12, 2019 4:10 AM

Jul 2016
Thorfin is broken as both a human being and as a believable character.

Bullshit he kills all those dudes that easy.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.