Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 2, 2019 10:33 PM

Aug 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The wait is finally over! Season 2 is finally here!!

The op is still the same song but there is a new sequence for it. The ed is a new song with a new sequence.
The art and animation are as gorgeous as ever.

They showed a bit more of how the sunshot campaign concluded and then it went back to the present.

So glad to have the donghua back <3
Aug 7, 2019 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
Ah, my incredibly lousy language skills couldn't get me anywhere with those small and splotchy subtitles. Nevertheless, crisp animation as always. I'm assuming this'll focus mostly on the present part of the novel and the later season on the Nie story?
Aug 7, 2019 12:13 PM
Jan 2019
Just watched the first episode. There is one thing that kept bugging me.

When did Lan Wangji get that Wen sect mark on his chest? I remember that Wei Wuxian got it in the cave fighting that turtle monster,but this I just can't put my finger on it. (if it is shown in season 1,I'll gladly just feel like an idiot)
Aug 7, 2019 12:25 PM
Aug 2011
Nutella71 said:
When did Lan Wangji get that Wen sect mark on his chest? I remember that Wei Wuxian got it in the cave fighting that turtle monster,but this I just can't put my finger on it. (if it is shown in season 1,I'll gladly just feel like an idiot)

Do not fret. It wasn't shown in S1 and it will be explained later on!

I swear I blinked and the episode was already over and tf how is Huanguang-Jun like 100 times hotter than before?

Anyway, their facial expressions seem more lively this time around. WWX is going to provide some great faces throughout this run. Can't wait.
Aug 7, 2019 12:26 PM

Apr 2015
Nutella71 said:
Just watched the first episode. There is one thing that kept bugging me.

It had not been shown yet
Aug 7, 2019 5:16 PM

Dec 2010
the anime picked right off where season 1 ended right? i loved the beginnig showing them storm the Wens
Aug 7, 2019 6:05 PM

Dec 2016
10/10
This passed so quickly. I was kinda hoping it was an hour long 1st ep, like in season 1. But oh well.

So far everything was great, visually, the filler additions especially that sweet battle with Wen RuoHan. Rather faithful to the novel. Jin GuangYao is perfect along with his VA. Lan XiChen is rays of sunshine whenever he smiles. Lan Wangji's soft look when he looks at Wei Wuxian makes my heart melt <3 And is that lady who I think she is?!

I'm so glad Lan QiRen looks so good even at his age. Regained conciseness just to diss Wei WuXian XDD
Also....
I feel like donghua Wen RuoHan could have had all the sects under his boot if he only left his base. The dude is so freaking op, I doubt even WWX would have proved as a difficult obstacle.
Aug 7, 2019 6:17 PM
Sep 2016
Wow, hope this season will be more entertaining than the previous, with some bl twist (hopefully)
Aug 7, 2019 6:50 PM
Apr 2018
mobrine said:
Wow, hope this season will be more entertaining than the previous, with some bl twist (hopefully)

Due to Chinese censorship it'll just be 'implied' haha. But it really shouldn't be too difficult because for a bulk of the novel it was basically just implied...idk,i think the live action is doing pretty well heavily implying things so the donghua should be able to do it well.
Aug 7, 2019 7:49 PM
May 2019
Watched the first episode that came out and absolutely loved it! I was a little confused to begin with, with all the time changing and such. So I’m just wondering if Wi-Fi is not in his real body (present).
Aug 7, 2019 8:24 PM
Aug 2019
GloomyGal said:
Watched the first episode that came out and absolutely loved it! I was a little confused to begin with, with all the time changing and such. So I’m just wondering if Wi-Fi is not in his real body (present).

Wwx is in Mo XuanYu’s body, hence why Lan Qiren is not freaking out when he saw him lolol
Aug 7, 2019 8:35 PM
Apr 2018
Mici_Angels said:
10/10

I feel like donghua Wen RuoHan could have had all the sects under his boot if he only left his base. The dude is so freaking op, I doubt even WWX would have proved as a difficult obstacle.

Yeah dude he was way too op to die immediately from a lil poke in the heart. All offense no defense. Work a little cardio into your cultivation man.

GloomyGal said:

It's gonna be pretty confusing if you havent read the Novel.but I'm assuming you at least watched season 1.
At the beginning of S1 ep 1, he transmigrated into the body of mo xuanyu after being dead for 13 years. In S1, eps 1&2 take place in the present, and eps 3-15 take place in the past when he was in his original body. So far in season 2, episodes 1-3 have mostly taken place in the present, so he's in MXY's body. (the exception is that first scene of season 2 episode 1 where it shows the sunshot campaign/war against the wens, which was a flashback to the past, and he was in his OG body)

I imagine he looks the same for animation consistency. After OG WWX started demonic cultivation, he started looking evil lol, but MXY basically looks exactly the same as WWX did pre-demonic-cultivation (for animation consistency sake, I guess)

Read the novel plzzzzzz u guys read it. Actually, read it twice, it's gotta be twice. Then everything will make sense lol
Aug 7, 2019 8:37 PM

Dec 2017
I really enjoyed the first episode! I also watched episode 2 & 3 but it didn't have English subs so I don't know exactly what's going on. But so far I'm really excited for this season! I have high hopes!
Aug 8, 2019 2:48 AM
Jan 2019
stand said:
Nutella71 said:

Do not fret. It wasn't shown in S1 and it will be explained later on!

I swear I blinked and the episode was already over and tf how is Huanguang-Jun like 100 times hotter than before?

Anyway, their facial expressions seem more lively this time around. WWX is going to provide some great faces throughout this run. Can't wait.
Thank you so much,you saved me from wrecking my nerves over it.

Hah,the power of handsome ancient China long haired men enhances his hotness points I guess.
And yes I noticed,I swear some WWX faces could have their own emojis. And those little smirks from LWJ...I see you.
Aug 8, 2019 4:52 AM
Mar 2019
Great episode, i really miss this series glad it back, can't wait for ep 2 to be subbed. Also loves the new ED!
Aug 8, 2019 5:31 AM

May 2018
Miss this show. Happy to see it's back. I like the horror + mystery this story is taking. Really interested to see what happen.
Aug 8, 2019 10:06 AM

Mar 2016
Why did I miss this so much? It's only been a few months since I watched season 1.

I am watching its live action adaption as well, and I am kind of confused a little. Mostly because of the Qinhe Nie clan. I think I should read the novel soon.

It's so enjoyable to watch Wei Wuxian being knowledgeable and powerful, and Lan Zhan being Lan Zhan.

Pretty sure Lan Zhan has figured out Mo Xuanyu's true identity.

I am not a big fan Chinese stories; I enjoy them, but don't love them. However, this story is just so good. It's enjoyable, and has intelligent characters and a sensible enough plot so far. Plus, I genuinely care about these characters, which is quite a rare thing for me. I like it so much!!
Aug 8, 2019 10:12 AM
Apr 2018
FuMomo-kun said:

I am watching its live action adaption as well, and I am kind of confused a little. Mostly because of the Qinhe Nie clan. I think I should read the novel soon.

Definitely read the novel. The QingheNie Sect is extremely important to the plot, however, this is one aspect of the plot that the live action completely changes. The live action has them collecting pieces of "yin iron" while the donghua will have them following clues left by the demonic arm. The live action changes a looot of plot aspects. Definitely read the novel haha
Aug 8, 2019 3:22 PM

Sep 2017
i have been looking forward to the new season and it's finally here!
i enjoyed the first episode even tho it confused me a bit XD
Aug 8, 2019 7:48 PM
Jul 2018
Nice ep. I like the atmosphere it went for with the added horror. Glad to see the Cornetto ads back too lol

My only real issue with it was the flashback at the start of the episode.

Either way, I did like the ep and I'm looking forward to watching whatever comes next.
Aug 10, 2019 11:50 PM

Oct 2014
Can somebody explain who that "dead general" is? I can't for the life of me remember but a few of the characters and clan relations ;-;
Aug 11, 2019 12:08 AM
Aug 2011
fluffsnake said:
Can somebody explain who that "dead general" is? I can't for the life of me remember but a few of the characters and clan relations ;-;

If you are only watching, you did notice they keep mentioning him especially in regards to Wei Wuxian but they haven't yet specified why/how he turned into that. I've noticed others are also confused but this season should get to more of his backstory.
standAug 11, 2019 12:22 AM
Aug 11, 2019 2:19 AM

Oct 2014
stand said:
fluffsnake said:

If you are only watching, you did notice they keep mentioning him especially in regards to Wei Wuxian but they haven't yet specified why/how he turned into that. I've noticed others are also confused but this season should get to more of his backstory.

OMG him?? aaaaaaa what happenedddd ;o; thanks for your answer!!
Aug 11, 2019 3:33 AM
Apr 2018
fluffsnake said:
stand said:

OMG him?? aaaaaaa what happenedddd ;o; thanks for your answer!!

I will PM you and ask if you're serious about this "what happened" question lol. The spoilers are too heavy even for a spoiler tag. Also, I have a thread in these forums for questions if you're wondering about anything else hehe
IdknymkreAug 11, 2019 3:37 AM
Aug 11, 2019 5:50 AM

Sep 2016
Im pretty hyped about this season. The first season blew me away and so far this season looks just as good !
Aug 11, 2019 2:55 PM

Jul 2015
I wasn't sure before, but now I am. They are removing the romance between Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji :/

I will still watch it, but a little disappointed
Aug 11, 2019 2:57 PM
Apr 2018
Prezzix said:
I wasn't sure before, but now I am. They are removing the romance between Wei Wuxian and Lan Wangji :/

Chinese censorship. They're not allowed to show gay content. But I do believe they'll do a good enough job with implications. The live action is 100% implications and it's hecka romantic hahaha
Aug 11, 2019 3:06 PM

Aug 2010
Yalthamen said:
Prezzix said:

Chinese censorship. They're not allowed to show gay content. But I do believe they'll do a good enough job with implications. The live action is 100% implications and it's hecka romantic hahaha

I agree about the live action!
Aug 11, 2019 3:22 PM
Apr 2018
Xealias said:
Yalthamen said:

Haha yeah for real it would be impossible to watch it and not think they're madly in love. Gazing at each other longingly goes a long way lmao

I imagine them showing up before the Chinese censorship review board like heheheh no gay content here boss
Aug 11, 2019 4:00 PM

Dec 2016
Xealias said:
Yalthamen said:

Thank the gods they didn't go with that WWX/WQ bs. Always saw their relationship like a brother-sister one + LWJ's character doesn't make sense without WWX :/
In the end, it turned with extra subtle flavour if I may say that. The donghua is certainly straighter for now XD
Aug 11, 2019 4:06 PM
Apr 2018
Mici_Angels said:
Xealias said:

Thank the gods they didn't go with that WWX/WQ bs. Always saw their relationship like a brother-sister one + LWJ's character doesn't make sense without WWX :/
In the end, it turned with extra subtle flavour if I may say that. The donghua is certainly straighter for now XD

Really I got more jc/wq vibes from the live action . For a minute I was absolutely terrified they were tryna push wwx/jyl in a romantic direction but thank god I was just being paranoid
Aug 11, 2019 4:20 PM

Dec 2016
Yalthamen said:
Mici_Angels said:

Really I got more jc/wq vibes from the live action . For a minute I was absolutely terrified they were tryna push wwx/jyl in a romantic direction but thank god I was just being paranoid

I think they moved to JC after the uproar with the fans and MXTX's disappointment to their early script. I guess like all chinese dramas there needed to be some romance even with JYL/JZH. I don't mind their pair up since I barely ever ship those two with anyone XD
Aug 11, 2019 4:41 PM
Apr 2018
Mici_Angels said:
Yalthamen said:

I think they moved to JC after the uproar with the fans and MXTX's disappointment to their early script. I guess like all chinese dramas there needed to be some romance even with JYL/JZH. I don't mind their pair up since I barely ever ship those two with anyone XD

Oh damn I didn't know there was an uproar. Tbh I never got any wwx/wq vibes maybe I was immune to it. Aw man jzx had to be my least favorite adapted into the live action. He's suuuuch a good character I don't think they captured his subtleness very well. But when it came to characters not matching their book versions, I tended to think it was more of a script failing than an actor failing. Like live action lwj is soooo chatty hahaha but the actor does a really good job regardless. Or like that scene where they had sizhui back talking to lwj I was like... Uhhhh what, never would he ever.

Anyway, my bad, I keep baiting you into these unrelated conversations all over the episode discussions hahaha I can't stop rambling about this stuff srsly I need help...:(
Aug 11, 2019 5:04 PM

Dec 2016
Yalthamen said:
Mici_Angels said:

Oh damn I didn't know there was an uproar. Tbh I never got any wwx/wq vibes maybe I was immune to it. Aw man jzx had to be my least favorite adapted into the live action. He's suuuuch a good character I don't think they captured his subtleness very well. But when it came to characters not matching their book versions, I tended to think it was more of a script failing than an actor failing. Like live action lwj is soooo chatty hahaha but the actor does a really good job regardless. Or like that scene where they had sizhui back talking to lwj I was like... Uhhhh what, never would he ever.

Anyway, my bad, I keep baiting you into these unrelated conversations all over the episode discussions hahaha I can't stop rambling about this stuff srsly I need help...:(

Yep. Thankfully the Chinese fans were fierce! I would understand censorship but they would have been crossing a line pairing any of the mains with anyone else. But I also heard some actors were trying to get more screen time by some dirty method (kinda suprised at this).
I feel bad because I wanna punch that guy in the face for no reason (idk what's wrong with me). I also think they got the character off, he was peacock-ish but not in JZX way.
LWJ is defiantly hard to portray. I also saw the manhua kinda failing at some parts. But drama fans (not MDZS fans) were put off by his expressionless face. I think the actor/singer did a really solid job, better acting than my countrymen.

I feel bad for these peeps too. We can continue on messages or that thing on profiles (MAL chatting system is so strange)
Aug 12, 2019 1:41 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Zombie hunting is back lol
張大です for 張大勇督察
Aug 12, 2019 8:19 AM
Aug 2019
Yes I'm watching it. Chinese speak really fast, I have to pause and read sometimes XD. The CG curtains move so fluidly I wasn't expecting that.

It's a novel too? Nice. Finally I can get some reading done. I'll take a look after this has wrapped up.
Aug 12, 2019 8:23 AM
Apr 2018
kowaidesune said:
Yes I'm watching it. Chinese speak really fast, I have to pause and read sometimes XD. The CG curtains move so fluidly I wasn't expecting that.

It's a novel too? Nice. Finally I can get some reading done. I'll take a look after this has wrapped up.

Yesss! The novel is amazing don't miss out! Here's a link just in case https://exiledrebelsscanlations.com/grandmaster-of-demonic-cultivation/ it takes a bit of getting used to, reading translated Chinese novels, but is so worth it. Hope you enjoy the show and decide to redd the book 😁
Aug 12, 2019 8:26 AM

Dec 2016
kowaidesune said:

There's also a audio drama, live action series and manhua. We are only missing a game adaptation XD
Aug 12, 2019 9:06 AM
Aug 2019
^ Wow. I can see why it's so popular! Really enjoyed the first episode even though character names are hard to remember.
Aug 12, 2019 9:17 AM
Apr 2018
kowaidesune said:
^ Wow. I can see why it's so popular! Really enjoyed the first episode even though character names are hard to remember.

Yes everyone has hecka names. The main important ones are

Protagonist: Wei Wuxian / Wei Ying / Yiling Patriarch (title later in life)
Love interest: Lan Wangji / Lan Zhan / Hanguang-jun (title later in life)

On these forums, a couple posts down, I have a topic called "are you confused" where I wrote a character guide for ppl who get the characters confused lol
Aug 12, 2019 6:14 PM
Aug 2019
The episode was too short for me. I was like, what? it is ending? nooooo!! Next episode please!! Okay, this is my first time in a forum and I joined it just to look for people to gush about this donghua. Seriously, I was originally in the novel, then discovered it's manhua, then the donghua after that both the live action and audio drama. I love everything about the works. May I ask when the subbed version of episode will be released. I knew that there are currently 4 raw episodes airing but I can't just understand the Chinese Language.
Aug 16, 2019 1:28 PM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned

First of all, please do not ask about the subs or where to watch. Posting copyrighted, non-fair use material is not allowed on the website too so refrain from posting links to streaming websites or torrents. The official website is easy to find with a simple Google search and you can even find it on the Wikipedia page.

Please also keep the conversation to the episode. If you see that your conversation with someone is straying away from the topic, please continue talking in comments or private messages.

If you're not sure if you'd like the anime, there are plenty of reviews that can help you make your decision. We also have a recommendation board if you want more anime like this one.

Aug 18, 2019 12:20 PM
Dec 2011
Where do you watch this? The website where I watched S1 is now giving tons of warnings so I don't wanna use that anymore.

Please, I really wanna continue watching this (and watch s1 again because why not making myself cry even more)
Aug 18, 2019 12:38 PM
Apr 2018
tattic said:
Where do you watch this? The website where I watched S1 is now giving tons of warnings so I don't wanna use that anymore.

Please, I really wanna continue watching this (and watch s1 again because why not making myself cry even more)

I'll pm you as admin-sama reminded me we're not allowed to post links
IdknymkreAug 18, 2019 12:55 PM
Aug 19, 2019 10:33 PM

Dec 2016
top quality animation was worth the wait. glad they kept the original op too.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?
Aug 21, 2019 10:16 AM

May 2017
Great episode as always, glad the quality production still the same
Aug 21, 2019 12:07 PM
Aug 2019
Can anyone tell me where can I watch the season 2 episodes in English
Aug 21, 2019 12:09 PM

Jan 2013
Kim_Ian said:
Can anyone tell me where can I watch the season 2 episodes in English

Check Guodong Subs on twitter.
Sep 26, 2019 10:07 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great mystery and a thrilling episode first up!

Character designs have taken a little notch up, that of Wangji (or however it’s spelled) in particular, and, by the looks of it, so has the Animation in general, which is of course great to see!

Off to the mountains next! I feel like Wangji’s figures out Wei Wuxian’s return so I wonder if that’s to come soon.

A little bummed that this season will only be 8 episodes though but I’m definitely looking forward to remaining seven nonetheless!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 10, 2021 4:24 AM
Apr 2016
It's so stupid how Wei looks literally exactly the same as he did in his previous, real body & even acts exactly like he did before yet everyone's like "yeah this guy isn't him, no way."
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 2 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 2, 2019

24 by KuroKen15 »»
Feb 15, 12:05 PM

» Are you confused?

Idknymkre - Aug 7, 2019

14 by serina7 »»
Feb 7, 11:42 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 3 Discussion

Xealias - Aug 3, 2019

28 by samyllazevedo »»
Oct 2, 2023 5:48 PM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 23, 2019

51 by iamnameers »»
Feb 4, 2023 8:38 AM

Poll: » Mo Dao Zu Shi 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Xealias - Aug 31, 2019

50 by diorcula »»
Jan 31, 2023 1:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.