Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 11, 2019 12:43 PM
Jun 2015
Black_Sheep97 said:
Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.
experienced soldier? Thorfin has much better training and is shown to be more gifted. Just because you're older doesn't make you stronger. And what experience it was never was established that those soldiers are hardened by battle nor experience?
You're a sakuga fag then. Well I guess enjoy being blinded by great animation with garbage story telling aka Demon slayer
Aug 11, 2019 12:47 PM

Sep 2017
Thorfinn tried to warn the villagers which was a nice move. too bad they didn't understand him. glad to see that he is adapting to his new environment. he understands that he has to defend himself at all costs. looking forward to the next episode.
Aug 11, 2019 12:49 PM
Nov 2015
shane_nichols said:
Black_Sheep97 said:
experienced soldier? Thorfin has much better training and is shown to be more gifted. Just because you're older doesn't make you stronger. And what experience it was never was established that those soldiers are hardened by battle nor experience?
You're a sakuga fag then. Well I guess enjoy being blinded by great animation with garbage story telling aka Demon slayer
dah fuq, what does great animation have to do with anything I said, and from what I've seen so far the storytelling in demon slayer is solid.
Aug 11, 2019 12:53 PM

May 2015
"hurr durr he shouldn't be able to kill grown men hurr durr"

Aug 11, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2014
what a depressing episode
Askeladd said all the women belong to him
Does that mean the mother and her daughter were...?

When Thorfinn threw the knife at the enemy who's sneaking up to Askeladd, wouldn't it be funny if he was actually aiming for Askeladd and missed, accidentally saving him? lolol jk
ttcchenAug 11, 2019 12:59 PM
Aug 11, 2019 12:57 PM
Jan 2017
shane_nichols said:
Tischa said:

But Vinland saga also has glorious animation and backgrounds
Yeah they're awesome, but Ufotable is in a league of it's own. I'll admit that.
I won't say this after the fight between Levi and the beast titan.
Aug 11, 2019 1:02 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
This is why people should try to learn more than just their native language
Aug 11, 2019 1:05 PM

Sep 2015
lostnspace said:
JasieQ said:

Hes more like 16 after timeskip.

Oh wow - I wasn't expecting a 10 year jump. It makes sense - that's able to take on grown me. Thanks for the clarification.

He’s about 11 here in this episode when he’s in the village. So it was about a 5 year jump, & then the next skip will be about 5 years, so he’ll be 16 for the main story timeline.

ttcchen said:
what a depressing episode
Askeladd said all the women belong to him
Does that mean the mother and her daughter were...?

That was actually a different time. Thorfinn was much younger when that conversation went on then when he was saved by that lady. But even so, we can assume that their fates weren’t good if they were caught...
Aug 11, 2019 1:09 PM
Feb 2016
Mythologically said:
This is beginning to rival Dr. Stone for the title of "hardest to believe show of the season". The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎.

It's also beginning to rival Arifureta for worst CGI of the season. For having pretty good animation and art, the CGI is pathetic.

I'll give this a couple more episodes, but so far even the action scenes have bored me to death.

at least its not a try hard show like monogatari franchise lol
Aug 11, 2019 1:10 PM

Aug 2012
Ha-ha, you're a bad guy now, Thorfinn.
Aug 11, 2019 1:28 PM

Nov 2016
Thorfinn already became a little badass. It will be very interesting to see how the relationship between him and Askeladd develops from here on.

I had a lump in my throat during the raid at the end....

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Aug 11, 2019 1:36 PM

Nov 2017
Mythologically said:

Ever heard of Guts? He did worse and killed more experienced adults at the age of 9.
Aug 11, 2019 1:43 PM

Jun 2016
Thors wouldn’t be proud of his son if he was alive.
I guess Thorfinn chose the dark side.
It’s so weird to see him work for the guy that killed his dad.
Aug 11, 2019 1:48 PM

Oct 2012
Probably the best episode so far, even better than the one when Thors died. Seems like his grown-up version is not as annoying as before.

Perfect example of personal drama and cost of human life. Finally someone had put a mirror in front of him and it was well-done.
Finally he realized he is now monster too and what his father tried to evade.
Aug 11, 2019 1:49 PM

Nov 2014
killerqueen2000 said:
Mythologically said:

talking about the monogatari series just what the hell made it so popular??? I tried watching it but it's just so confusing as if they're making it abstract just for the sake of confusing people into thinking "omg this is so confusing which must means this is something deep and meaningful that's beyond my understanding!"
Aug 11, 2019 1:54 PM

Nov 2017
Mythologically said:
LalatinaDarkness said:

Ever heard of Guts? He did worse and killed more experienced adults at the age of 9.

good for him then lol

Good. Hope you understand that you're watching anime.
Aug 11, 2019 2:06 PM

Jan 2019
haha yes i shall shit talk monogatari in this thread about vinland saga. that'll show em
Aug 11, 2019 2:07 PM
Sep 2016
Mythologically said:
LalatinaDarkness said:

good for him then lol

Seriously, don't you know Guts?
Aug 11, 2019 2:10 PM

Jul 2017
ttcchen said:
killerqueen2000 said:

talking about the monogatari series just what the hell made it so popular??? I tried watching it but it's just so confusing as if they're making it abstract just for the sake of confusing people into thinking "omg this is so confusing which must means this is something deep and meaningful that's beyond my understanding!"

It's because of its fun cast who has some of the best character chemistry in anime in general lol (at least to most people that is). Same reason why Bunny Girl Senpai is also quite popular albeit only the 1st 2 arcs had great chemistry imo
Aug 11, 2019 2:14 PM

Mar 2017
God this is so hard to watch... a little boy should not be living that life 😭 I am glad that Askeladd took him in though because things could've been so much worse for Thorfinn if he hadn't

That last scene really got me. It was so damn sad but i just about managed not to cry haha
Aug 11, 2019 2:19 PM
Sep 2016
Mythologically said:
thekillfra said:

Seriously, don't you know Guts?

I know nothing about Berserk since I've never seen nor read it.

look, if you are looking for realism this series is not good, later with thorkell there are even worse exaggerations, you should take it more like a story with fantasy protagonists in a real historical context, but you may not like it.

Anyway back to the episode, I didn't like the technical part especially after yesterday's demon-slayer episode
Aug 11, 2019 2:23 PM
May 2019
I really dislike the CGI, but, for me, the other parts make up for it. It's nice to see Thorfinn's evolution as he sinks himself in hatred and revenge. As for his fights, I think it's acceptable that he can take on people older than him. Ever since as a kid, he was shown to be merciless on child play, plus he had to live for himself in the woods, and fight a kid is rather unexpected. Also, there wasn't such thing as a professional knight, the series itself gave an example, as the Icelandic soldiers were totally trash even tho they were "trained". Also nice that they conserved the language barrier.
Aug 11, 2019 2:31 PM
Mar 2019
I kinda like the way they’re doing it. The manga’s timeline was kinda all over the place at the start not really, but it just makes more sense in the anime.
Aug 11, 2019 2:38 PM

Feb 2018
Short_Circut said:
Damn this show really is going for that historical accuracy, Vikings not having horns on their helmets (like myths say they do), archers doing most of the fighting, language differences. Also MC that isn't afraid to ho harm wow what a shocker

The CGI soldiers though, that looked so garbage lol. Actually not even the soldiers the cgi in general is pretty garbage

LalatinaDarkness said:

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.

tbf considering how many action shows lately have had subpar animation, I can see how great animation can be blinding lmao

The cgi wasn't really bad. The only noticible scene for me was when Askeladd's crew landed at the end of the episode. It wasn't really good, ngl.
Typical slav weeb who is hunting down normies on discord
Aug 11, 2019 2:41 PM

Nov 2017
ah this has to be one of my favourite chapters in the prologue, there's so much emotion packed into it. I think Wit studios did a great job on this one, seeing it animated really was a treat I think it really cemented how awful thorfinns journey has been so far

Aug 11, 2019 2:48 PM

Feb 2017
Tsu-kasa said:
ah this has to be one of my favourite chapters in the prologue, there's so much emotion packed into it. I think Wit studios did a great job on this one, seeing it animated really was a treat I think it really cemented how awful thorfinns journey has been so far

I'd agree that this is one of my favorite chapters in the earlier prologue, wit studio really outdid themselves adapting it. I'd argue that it was even more sad here.
Aug 11, 2019 2:52 PM

Sep 2014
Mythologically said:

Shit, it started good but it's getting worse. I hate MC-driven powers.
Aug 11, 2019 2:53 PM

Sep 2017
So good man. What a brutal moment for Thorrfinn and that poor old lady. I doubt many of those villagers made it out alive. Besides that I really liked how they showed Thorfinn getting his first kill and then later getting two daggers.
Aug 11, 2019 2:54 PM

Mar 2016
Hard to see that grandma's face when she saw thorfin killing those man, he felt bad for that but the last face he showed was him getting back to his reality. Good to see his progression.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Aug 11, 2019 2:55 PM

Jul 2014
Sad and an awesome episode at the same time, we get to see him growing up with the pirates, but at the same time he's not the same person he was before
Aug 11, 2019 2:55 PM
Sep 2017
phantomfandom said:
I can accept that Thorfinn fall into dark side, but with the same group that kill his father?
And is this fantasy? A group of highly developed countries were once involced in such an unreasonably barbaric act?
Also a little bit funny story of mine, I watch this anime because a decade ago my friend recommend me a masterpiece manga. I mistakenly remember that manga as Vinland Saga, but recently my friend correct me it's actually 'Vagabond' (and there's no anime adaptation yet).

So, He doesn't consider himself part of the group. You can see he eats by himself and only does things when he's promised a duel as a reward. He realized that he didn't have the strength to kill the dude as a kid, so his biding his time until he can kill him. Ever hear of "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"? that's this.
Also, Highly developed countries are involved in unreasonably barbaric acts to this day my friend.
Lastly, Vinland Saga is often spoken in the same breath as Vagabond, so you are in good company.
Aug 11, 2019 3:05 PM
Jun 2015
LalatinaDarkness said:
Mythologically said:

Exactly. Thorffin was inspired from him.
Aug 11, 2019 3:20 PM
Nov 2017
It's so great. I love the character development in this episode. Thorfinn changed so much since then.

It's a little bit disappointed tho, Thorfinn all of a sudden can kill a grown soldier. I hoped they just jump into the manga, or maybe handle Thorfinn and Askeladd relationships like Guts and Gambino relationship in Berserk
Still, I love this episode so much.
Aug 11, 2019 3:26 PM
Sep 2017
Kudos for the anime showing Thors first kill and the anime original passage of time. I might get slack for saying this, but I think that in this episode the anime outdid the manga in knowing that audience needed to see that first kill and at least a hint of a transition to know how hardened he has become in such little time.
Aug 11, 2019 3:29 PM
Jul 2018
LalatinaDarkness said:
Mythologically said:

good for him then lol

Good. Hope you understand that you're watching anime.
lmao bro or sis😂
Aug 11, 2019 3:30 PM

Jan 2019
"It hit my ass"
This viking has his priorities straight, even during an ambush.
Aug 11, 2019 3:42 PM
Aug 2018
LalatinaDarkness said:
shane_nichols said:
Ya know Kimetsu may have better animation and godlike visuals, but Vinland has a much better story. I love em both in different ways.

Yeah, people in twitter really hyping it up and even hailed it as their "aoty that not even aot can top it." (It's their opinion but still) Crazy how a damn good animation blinds viewers.

I'm only on episode 11 of Kimetsu rn, and it has to be one of the worst anime I've seen in a while. Aside from the pretty art and animation, everything else is done so poorly, I don't understand how people praise the show so much.
Aug 11, 2019 3:50 PM

May 2018
Looks like the vikings in this show are pretty much like the goblins from Goblin Slayer
Aug 11, 2019 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
I really like the direction this adaptation is taking with the story. In the manga, it jumps straight to adult, cold-hearted killer Thorfinn, but the anime's really taking its time to develop him into that stage. This episode really showed Thorfinn's more humane side again, after showing his savage side. Kind of like Afro Samurai where there's a point where the protagonist questions his path of revenge, which is something I love.

mohrip said:
It's a little bit disappointed tho, Thorfinn all of a sudden can kill a grown soldier.

As for how he got so strong, in the manga I recall it stating that Askeladd trained him, but it's a problem that the anime doesn't quite state that. Still, I think it's still safe to assume for the anime, he got so strong because he was trained.

uninstallthegame said:
um, can someone explain why Thorfinn is working together with Askeladd and the mercenaries? i know he wants to get battle experience and not to lose sight of Askeladd, but doing work for the one who killed your father? don't get it

perhaps, he's trying to gain their trust and then backstab them? i doubt it's a stockholm syndrome thing

It's been explained before that Thorfinn's goal is to kill Askeladd in an honorable duel, because Askeladd killed his father dishonorably. To achieve that, he joins Askeladd's gang, which also ensures he gets stronger and can fight Askeladd any time.
removed-userAug 11, 2019 4:06 PM
Aug 11, 2019 4:04 PM
Aug 2013
uninstallthegame said:
um, can someone explain why Thorfinn is working together with Askeladd and the mercenaries? i know he wants to get battle experience and not to lose sight of Askeladd, but doing work for the one who killed your father? don't get it

perhaps, he's trying to gain their trust and then backstab them? i doubt it's a stockholm syndrome thing
he works for askeladd and askeladd in return accepts duels against him
Aug 11, 2019 4:05 PM

Feb 2018
Mythologically said:

You wouldn't expect a kid to swing back at you , i assume that what happened there , still a stretch tho

Mythologically said:

it was alright for the most part , that one scene of them landing which yeah . . looked bad

Mythologically said:

i thought Thors vs Askeladd was dope , we are only 6 episodes in btw , we have 18 more still .
Aug 11, 2019 4:05 PM

Jul 2016
Great episode. Thorfinn growing to be a good warrior. And some worldbuilding. To the next episode

Aug 11, 2019 4:24 PM
Oct 2018
ManThighs said:
LalatinaDarkness said:

I'm only on episode 11 of Kimetsu rn, and it has to be one of the worst anime I've seen in a while. Aside from the pretty art and animation, everything else is done so poorly, I don't understand how people praise the show so much.
lol do you think that the others shows like OPM mob AOT fate.. Have a great story all of them have average story it The direction and execution the animation sound art the awesome fight scene who give them taht hype remove that and you will have nothing none of them can make it to score 8. just look at OPM season 1 and 2
Aug 11, 2019 4:40 PM

Nov 2015
Can someone tell me that the mother is alive?
Aug 11, 2019 4:41 PM

Jan 2018
Thorfinn achieving his first kill, I see. Looks like he's on his way now.

I can't believe that happened. It was a blatant sad episode. I pitied the old lady who took care of Thorfinn even on that limited time. That expression of emotions, I can't help myself but to be sad as well.

Can't wait for the next.
Aug 11, 2019 4:43 PM

May 2015
Ahri-is-cute said:
Can someone tell me that the mother is alive?
all dead and young girls raped
Aug 11, 2019 4:44 PM
Feb 2016
ttcchen said:

thats basically it lol. the style is pretty unique but its only the style. its not really deep whatsoever. its just presented in a different way compared to other series and I don't understand why people think its good. The fan service just makes it worse too. especially some of the weird scenes in the series
Aug 11, 2019 5:15 PM

Jan 2014
Mythologically said:
The little kid can kill professional soldiers because he is the main character 😎..

No, in this series some people have super strength or super agility. It is not realistic anime, you should already know this after episode four.
Aug 11, 2019 5:18 PM
Jul 2019
I hope that old lady and her daughter got away, but with the era they live in its highly unlikely.
Seeing Thorfinn grow from a small child to a killer kind of depresses me. I get why but outside of his need for revenge I feel like he's empty.

Also I know it's because of his lifestyle but could somebody please comb his hair and give him clean clothes!
It's kind of hard to see thorfinn as a slob, b/c most other anime even if the characters are unappealing are at the very least clean and pleasant to look at from certain angles...
I mean it's a minor complaint but it's like an tick that just won't let go...uuggghh
Overall it was an awesome episode with beautiful animation and the more I listen to the opening the more I loveit❤️
Aug 11, 2019 5:26 PM

May 2018
Finally we got to see Thorfinn in the battle because I've been waiting for this, and being a dual wielder too is nice. Thorfinn remembering his family is good to see, and not forgetting the task he got to do. I just hope he is not broken.

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

165 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 22, 11:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.