Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Dec 27, 2017 6:09 PM

Jan 2017
It got better for me after the episode where

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
NexuDec 28, 2017 10:46 AM
Dec 27, 2017 6:10 PM

Aug 2015
I think once the second arc starts. The first arc threw me off but I don't think it was "great".
Can I touch you? Please I love you. Let me touch you, I love you!
Friend: How's school? Me: School gave me debt and my plant mold.

Dec 27, 2017 6:12 PM
Aug 2016
Just keep watching, my dude. And you'll know when it gets interesting
Dec 27, 2017 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
Just watch it whenever you want to. I stopped watching for 3 days because I got distracted by other stuff, and after that I started watching it again.
Dec 27, 2017 7:07 PM

Mar 2016
I've always wondered it as well. I could not get past the first 3 episodes.
Is it actually that good or is it too hyped up by its fanbase?
Dec 27, 2017 7:10 PM

Aug 2017
Gintama never gets better, drop after 20 episodes
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 7:12 PM

May 2015
Gintama gets good at episode 3 because the first two episodes are aimed towards manga readers and thus make on sense to new people. Episode 3 is where the story officially starts.

Now, I do agree with the sentiment that Gintama gets better and better as it goes on. I have not finished the first season(on episode 91 at the moment) but I will say that my enjoyment has increased the more I've watched. However it's not because the series gets good, it's because there's more and more variety to the comedy due to more characters, and thus more potential jokes being possible. The comedy builds on itself, so the series in a sense gets "funnier", but the style of comedy is the same. If you've somehow watched twenty whole episodes of Gintama and you still don't think it's funny at all, you'll probably never like it. Another reason people thinks it gets "good" is probably because more serious arcs start happening at this point in the series, and some people think those arcs are really good.

TL;DR: Gintama gets good at episode 3. It gets better the more you watch.
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Dec 27, 2017 7:13 PM

Feb 2016
It gets tolerable around ep 280 and almost good at 320

np gl hf

Oshii is probably the only director that loves dogs. He thinks he's a dog himself.

That's right, its slime! It will dissolve your clothing slowly before my eyes!

Dec 27, 2017 7:14 PM

Apr 2016
I think I saw this exact same thread with this exact same title before...
Dec 27, 2017 7:18 PM

Feb 2017
Wow, a repeat thread...and I hate threads about Gintama for some reason...

For me, it got good at 3 secs in...but most people will say at 3 eps, 30 eps, or Benizakura-hen (50 something).

It really depends on you, if you don't like it even after 50 eps in, drop it. I wouldn't want more Gintama haters...

🎐
ᴅᴇʟɪᴠᴇʀɪᴇssɪɢ ʙʏ _ᴀʏᴀsᴇ
Dec 27, 2017 7:18 PM

Mar 2017
With all works in any medium, good is inherently subjective. While more technical aspects can be viewed with a semblance of objectivity, enjoyment is always a toss up. So I say to you, keep going until you determine it's no longer work the effort. Never afford a show more time than you are comfortable with due to outside influences. As you are your own person and what you enjoy is your own business

come, you sweet hour of death
Dec 27, 2017 7:22 PM

May 2017
Wow is it really something like that ?,i thought it was good from the beginning yeah but the final arcs i.e shogun assassination and farewell shinsengumi are one of the best episodes in the history of anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 7:24 PM
Aug 2017
Just watch more and don’t give a damn about what anyone says when it gets good it’s your own opinion
Bitches love cannons
Dec 27, 2017 8:56 PM
Feb 2017
I think it varies a lot from person to person, since when I was having the same issue with the show, I saw a lot of people saying that it got better after the memory loss arc(which is around 30) some say after 50. But for me it took a bit more, although I think it is really difficult to say "when it gets better" because that would be assuming most(if not all) episodes after that would be at least "good", which I personally don't think that happened to me yet.

I remember the first episodes that made me really enjoy Gintama, which were around 50-80, but some episodes in-between were quite bad imo, but watchable.

Therefore, if you have the time, I would say to at least get to the "Yoshiwara in Flames" arc, which many fans seems to love(myself included) and you will barely have any problems watching the rest of it. Just if you wonder, my favorite arc by far is the "Kabukicho Four Devas" which is around ep 210, when the show gets way better quality(not that it was bad before).

And one last thing: if you can, watch the Benizakura Hen Movie, which covers eps 58-61, and raised A LOT my hype for the rest of the series.
Dec 27, 2017 9:13 PM

Jul 2012
Depends on the person, very early on a lot of the comedy didn't really click with me (including some of the running gags that eventually did later) and I think the first time it finally did was like episode 25, then it stayed constant after like the benizakura arc. In terms of major arcs my personal favorite was the Yoshiwara arc which started at 139.
Dec 28, 2017 1:34 AM

Apr 2017
Around the 50th ep ?

I dunno cause I never had problems with this show, it was enjoyable from the start.
Just like a cute slice of life.

For me, the best parts of the series were the sequels, the first season is so slow.

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Dec 28, 2017 1:50 AM

Sep 2009
It doesn't really. You either enjoy the slapstick humor, or you don't.
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 28, 2017 1:57 AM

Mar 2015
That's subjective. Just keep watching if you enjoy the series.
Dec 28, 2017 2:10 AM

Sep 2015
Gintama get better the more you know about Japan's culture itself.

Because its never mean for west or anywhere on the world.

Gintama is not for you who
- hate 4th wall break
- don't like anything about Japan
- can't take any joke

-

Into the Internet!
Dec 28, 2017 2:24 AM

Jul 2017
Ep.70, that was Gintama’s 3rd year in the show. That’s when I felt that the writer really started to hit his stride in terms of comedy and eventually I started finding episodes funny.
FlexstyleDec 28, 2017 2:30 AM
Dec 28, 2017 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
It never gets much better is just first 30 eps that are so bad but humor stays the same till the end (basically after 150eps you probably have seen most jokes of the series and rest is just repetition)
Dec 28, 2017 6:19 AM
Jul 2018
It gets good on episode 3. If you don't like it after that, you never will.
Dec 28, 2017 10:48 AM

Jun 2016
Merged Calren's thread here.
Dec 28, 2017 11:21 AM

Jul 2015
Hichu-Yamichu said:
It never gets much better is just first 30 eps that are so bad but humor stays the same till the end (basically after 150eps you probably have seen most jokes of the series and rest is just repetition)
WRONG, because there is Episodes like 139-149, 154, 157-163, 167-170, 177-181, 186-192, and 195-199 which has a more serious tone to it or has different types of comedy then we had before(because of new characters added to the mix or the topics/ideas they touch/go upon
Sup...
Dec 28, 2017 11:24 AM

Jul 2015
CalrenK said:
I like Gintama so far (I'm on episode 20) but I keep hearing that Gintama gets even better. When exactly is this? I've heard varying answers so I really want to know.
It depends, when the jokes get more varied? when Serious stuff happen?

Because imo it got better in the 40's for Comedy, and 50's for Serious, then it got even better in the 60's for Comedy, 100's for Serious, etc.
Sup...
Dec 28, 2017 11:24 AM

Jul 2015
King_Cobra said:
Episodes 1 and 2 are filler for manga readers btw, so just start on Episode 3
Sup...
Dec 28, 2017 1:25 PM

Mar 2016
SenpaiJay98 said:
King_Cobra said:
Episodes 1 and 2 are filler for manga readers btw, so just start on Episode 3

Much appreciated!
Jan 15, 2018 3:38 PM

Jul 2015
It's more of a small incline rather than a sudden get good

for me, it gets these small upgrades(in the consistency and punch from the comedy) After Episodes 9, 17, 24, 33, 42, 61, 82, 109, 149, 181, 215, 236(then it keeps this consistency for the rest of the series imo)
Sup...
Jan 21, 2018 5:06 PM

Nov 2017
I was hooked on Gintama after watching the Memory Loss arc. (Episode 31-32)

I found the show to be funny from the very start personally but I put it on hold-on initially because there wasn’t any plot progression, and the show was rather long.

Then I realized that I really enjoy the heartfelt standalone episodes and they were what made me watch more and more.

Apr 6, 2018 1:46 PM

Oct 2017
Its pretty enjoyable from the beginning but vastly improves once the mangaka starts doing proper arcs and not just episodic stuff. And then it only gets better
Aardwolf94Apr 6, 2018 2:39 PM
Apr 6, 2018 2:51 PM

Mar 2017
19 Episodes deep and I love it already xD
Aug 7, 2019 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
I'm on episode 7 of Gintama at the time I'm writing this, and while I find it to be kinda charming, funny even at times, I seriously don't understand what's great about this series, other than the absurd setting. Does the series become funnier later on? Because so far the humor is very standard anime comedy: characters yelling around very small, dumb jokes. I heard that the later episodes switch between tragedy and comedy, which sounds awesome though.
I don't dislike this series, I kinda like it in fact, but I'm torn on whether I should continue watching or not.
Aug 7, 2019 1:42 PM

Jan 2016
What makes this series so great? <-- Assuming it's great.
The word elitist is stupid since it's just used by people who can't defend their favorite shows and use it on people who criticize their favorite shows.
Aug 7, 2019 1:45 PM

Apr 2012
The setting itself is quite original, but what makes it so great is two things imo:
- first as the time goes by, the mangaka sought more and more elaborate jokes (even if relying on potty humour every once in a while), and that's like the opposite of Japanese humour which is basically repetition jokes.
- second, as a comical manga, Gintama has always been kind of satirical of shounen in general, except being published in a shounen magazine itself, it sometimes does serious arcs that are some of the best shounen material out there.
Aug 7, 2019 1:50 PM

May 2014
If you have to ask that question then i say you should drop it. I'm sure there'll be lots of fans telling you it gets better later, but it's up to you whether or not you're willing to wait for that to happen. The humour and characters never clicked with me personally.
Aug 7, 2019 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
EratiK said:
The setting itself is quite original, but what makes it so great is two things imo:
- first as the time goes by, the mangaka sought more and more elaborate jokes (even if relying on potty humour every once in a while), and that's like the opposite of Japanese humour which is basically repetition jokes.

What do you mean by elaborate humor? I noticed a few times in Gintama so far where the joke is repeated several times, but it doesn't bother me that much.
So far, the jokes that I've found the most funny have been the ones that have build up and pay off (like the package being the bomb) or the jokes that lead to another joke (like Kagura's puking). Will there be more jokes like that?
Aug 7, 2019 2:08 PM

May 2015
Felt the same when I started the series, all the way up until the start of the Benizakura arc. I stuck with it though and came to love the characters through each arc that develops the cast further. It's not easy committing to a series as long as Gintama, but I'd say it's certainly worth it - and the ratings tell you many others would agree.
Aug 7, 2019 2:09 PM

Apr 2012
@HopefulNihilist
I'm talking like over the course of several hundreds episodes. It's not uncommon in Gintama to have an absurd setting, a Japanese pun, delirious reactions and a twisted historical reference at the same time. It's something that is quite intricate and not obvious if you're not familiar with Japanese culture and/or watching with average subs. It's that mix that makes the anime special for a lot of people, but at the same time the layers make it not immediately funny to a lot of people, so it's definitely not for everyone.
Aug 7, 2019 2:48 PM

Jul 2017
I felt the same way early on about the series, I don't even know exactly when, maybe around 20 eps in did I actually start to laugh at some of the jokes.

Gintama is probably the best example of straight man humor, so if you don't like that in the first place then chances are you won't enjoy the series as much. The serious arcs are really well done though, they do come much later on. Only downside about the serious ones is that they tend to end up being very repetitive in terms of structure

Plus it also depends on how much you like the characters. Gintoki is evidently the most likable one in the series, but some characters like Shimura Tae and Kyubei I didn't really like them all that much so their skits weren't as enjoyable to watch. But Gintama does have a very big cast with their fair bits of screen time

If you like it so far though, then I'd think you might like it later down the road. Also keep in mind that S1 of Gintama isn't even the funniest one, Gintama' and Gintama dot have even better comedy

I'd also advise not going for Crunchyroll subs, as they leave out a lot of T/N about references that are made (and the show makes a lot)
Aug 7, 2019 2:52 PM

Oct 2013
What a coincidence, I dropped it at episode 7 as well, then got convince to continue, only to drop it at episode 8. Comedy wasn't my thing to begin with, so for me the series wasn't the problem it was me.
Aug 7, 2019 3:10 PM

Jan 2015
It was for me first kinda hard to start Gintama as well, but now that I've completely finished the series, I have to say that it is definitely one of my favourite animes. It's understandable though why it's hard for some people to get into. It really does take some effort to pull through sometimes, but that's a natural consequence for an anime that's this long. Sometimes the humour might feel lacking in the beginning but in my experience the funnier episodes did come a bit later.

My suggestion is to finish it though, there are many great episodes and arcs that are completely worth your time.

Aug 7, 2019 3:23 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Considering your tastes, I think you should not watch gintama.

Aside from some boring episodes, Shitsuro (shit-tier villain) and Okita Shitgo (annoying sadistic fuckface), I lke Gintama overall.
Aug 7, 2019 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
EratiK said:
@HopefulNihilist
I'm talking like over the course of several hundreds episodes. It's not uncommon in Gintama to have an absurd setting, a Japanese pun, delirious reactions and a twisted historical reference at the same time. It's something that is quite intricate and not obvious if you're not familiar with Japanese culture and/or watching with average subs. It's that mix that makes the anime special for a lot of people, but at the same time the layers make it not immediately funny to a lot of people, so it's definitely not for everyone.

Eh, the Japanese puns, and twisted historical references aren't things I'll understand. Considering how a lot of Gintama fans aren't from Japan, why do they enjoy the puns and twisted historical references?
Aug 7, 2019 3:56 PM

Apr 2012
HopefulNihilist said:
Eh, the Japanese puns, and twisted historical references aren't things I'll understand. Considering how a lot of Gintama fans aren't from Japan, why do they enjoy the puns and twisted historical references?
I wouldn't know about other people, but as a Japanese learner myself I enjoy them. But it's a very rich anime so different people might answer different things.

Just look at this thread, some people like the characterisation more, some other the comedy, etc.
Aug 8, 2019 3:32 PM
Jul 2018
drop it its not worth the time wasted on it. go watch something that is more useful of your time. or go read the superior comedy manga that is cromartie high school
Aug 16, 2019 3:44 PM
Jan 2018
For people who didn't start yet: I would skip the first two eps and watch them after ep 36, and if you think about watching the 2005 Jump Special, don't. It will fuck up the proper introduction of characters, you can watch it after ep 48, if you absolutely have to.

The first 15 episodes are rather boring, they're meant to introduce the main characters. The next 20 episodes or so offer relatively funny puns here and there, I almost quit though but the Shinsengumi and Hasegawa episodes made me stick with the series. Then the Umibozu arc starts and it was kinda a payoff of sorts for not quitting.

One general tip: Don't try to binge this series. If you watched multiple episodes per day up until now, stop. Take your time. Then with episode 58 the Benizakura arc starts, i.e. the first serious arc. This is the arc that sealed the deal for a lot of people, there's also a movie version out there. I would recommend to at least stick until this. After you finish it, again, take your time. I even paused for like 3 months because I wasn't in the mood. But then I started to watch again, and man, I am so glad I continued, because...

With episode 76 the Yagyu arc starts. For me personally, this was the heart of the series (I am at ep 120 atm). I almost died laughing, you'll know what I mean when you see it. It's my favorite arc. Combine this with the Mitsuba arc that starts a couple of episodes later, i.e. ep 86, which is rather serious and deep and I think you'll understand why so many people like this series.

Another really good arc starts with episode 101, i.e. The Shinsengumi Crisis Arc. Very funny, but also rather deep. Then a bunch of casual episodes start again, but by this point the comedy is a lot better. I think you won't think about quitting anymore. I watched 120 episodes, I take my time and I'm excited for every new episode.
Aug 18, 2019 6:06 AM

Apr 2019
Recycled_Content said:
drop it its not worth the time wasted on it. go watch something that is more useful of your time. or go read the superior comedy manga that is cromartie high school

Your comment is a waste of time in my opinion.Toxic and useless too...
Aug 18, 2019 6:32 AM
Jul 2018
wow someone actually responded to it. did you even check what scores i gave to gintama ? (͠≖ ͜ʖ͠≖)
Aug 18, 2019 6:42 AM

Dec 2017
You have to wait till benizakura arc which starts at episode 58 to get a serious glimpse of action that gintama can have. After that there are a lot of funny and serious arcs that the series can provide. The comedy gets pure gold as the series progresses.

Also, if you are at 7th episode and getting bored then don't worry. This series has a lot of great characters like katsura, hijikata, sougo, kondo, tsukuyo, hasegawa who go through a lot of development throughout the series. Even the characters like sacchan, otose, otae who seem annoying at first will have their moments.

Also if you make it to the 2015 season, then you will witness two of the greatest shonen arcs in existence.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Aug 18, 2019 7:04 AM
Jul 2018
madao is the true mvp of Bintama
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Episode 113 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Randomnamechange - Apr 13, 2009

113 by DigiCat »»
Apr 16, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 27 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Zerachroma - Jun 23, 2008

88 by decco6226 »»
Apr 16, 2:30 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 128 Discussion ( 1 2 )

llamaben - Aug 19, 2009

98 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 14, 10:09 AM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 126 Discussion ( 1 2 )

64 by ilovelidya »»
Apr 13, 8:14 PM

Poll: » Gintama Episode 123 Discussion ( 1 2 )

85 by RKASHYAP621 »»
Apr 13, 9:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.