Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 3, 2019 3:14 PM

Dec 2007
I mean, there's a lot of anime adaption the did justice to the manga and quite a lot more that did the opposite, the question is, is there an anime adaption that transcends its source, and I don't mean to anime that take a different path from the manga (like FMA2003) but made the manga not just more exciting but a lot more interesting in its own ways.
And i'm talking about your opinion not just general know anime that did so.
Aug 3, 2019 3:15 PM
Apr 2016
Dororo
Banana Fish
And at some scenes, One Piece
Aug 3, 2019 3:17 PM

Jun 2019
Gintama. The voice actors just take it to a whole new level.
Aug 3, 2019 3:19 PM

Jan 2019
Every jojos adaptation, the more clear example being the first part, in the manga is abad drawn vampire story, but DP make it look so awesome...

Aug 3, 2019 3:25 PM

Jun 2019
TheoPKTNS said:
Every jojos adaptation, the more clear example being the first part, in the manga is abad drawn vampire story, but DP make it look so awesome...
yeah, the manga is dipshit compared to the anime, especially on the first two parts.
Aug 3, 2019 3:27 PM
Jan 2015
I don't know personally as i haven't touched the manga, but from what I hear the anime of Demon Slayer is infinitely better than the manga.
My Queens

Aug 3, 2019 3:29 PM
May 2019
Hmm for me it would be Silent Voice, K-ON, FMA, Your Lie In April
Aug 3, 2019 3:34 PM

Jun 2014
Ghost in the Shell
Usagi Drop (lol)
Haikyuu
Ping Pong
Aug 3, 2019 3:56 PM

Jul 2017
I say Love Lab and Working! Manga's were good, but I found the anime artstyles to be much more fitting
Aug 3, 2019 4:43 PM

Dec 2007
Xstasy said:
Hmm for me it would be Silent Voice, K-ON, FMA, Your Lie In April

If you mean FMA2003 I said that I meant to anime the did not create original contents.
Aug 3, 2019 5:14 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Gintama, Usagi Drop, K-On, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as mentioned

I will also argue that most action and sports shows are better as anime for the simple reason that their themes are based on motion which obviously comes across way better in animated format than in mere static images. Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, Slam Dunk, Chihayafuru and a bunch of shounens are some examples of this

The same is also true for music anime since manga is naturally silent whereas audio does exist in anime, and so shows like Shigatsu, Beck and similar work better in anime. Koe no Katachi as well for self-explanatory reasons
Aug 3, 2019 5:25 PM

Jan 2018
Initial D's anime is far more enjoyable than its source due to its soundtrack alone
What a beautiful Duwang
Aug 3, 2019 5:45 PM

Jul 2019
2ego said:
Dororo
Banana Fish

Could you explain to me why you prefer Dororo's anime over its manga counterpart? To shorten how I feel about the anime version, I think it has a lot of technical issues (animation/music) and that the demon episodes are weak. I'm reading the manga right now and the demon stories are sprinkled along the main story way better than the anime did in my opinion and it's medium (manga in that case) is well used, the art is not masterpiece level but good enough to satisfy my eyes and the continuation between panels is fluent.

Also you mentionned Banana Fish which I was planning to read, but then I'm not sure. Do you think it packs well the 1XX chapters in 24 episodes? Why exactly did you prefer the anime over manga?
Aug 3, 2019 5:58 PM
Apr 2016
BiDiGiN said:
2ego said:
Dororo
Banana Fish

Could you explain to me why you prefer Dororo's anime over its manga counterpart? To shorten how I feel about the anime version, I think it has a lot of technical issues (animation/music) and that the demon episodes are weak. I'm reading the manga right now and the demon stories are sprinkled along the main story way better than the anime did in my opinion and it's medium (manga in that case) is well used, the art is not masterpiece level but good enough to satisfy my eyes and the continuation between panels is fluent.

Also you mentionned Banana Fish which I was planning to read, but then I'm not sure. Do you think it packs well the 1XX chapters in 24 episodes? Why exactly did you prefer the anime over manga?
I'm talking about this Dororo manga: https://myanimelist.net/manga/1658/Dororo not the new one. And about Banana Fish, the manga is just rather stale. I believe the adaptation did a better job portraying what the original author really wanted.
Aug 3, 2019 5:59 PM

Dec 2007
HaXXspetten said:

I will also argue that most action and sports shows are better as anime for the simple reason that their themes are based on motion which obviously comes across way better in animated format than in mere static images. Kuroko no Basket, Haikyuu, Slam Dunk, Chihayafuru and a bunch of shounens are some examples of this

basically what you are saying is that sports anime will always transcend their manga, well I won't argue but just saying it is the benefit of anime and more likely to say that therefore an anime adaption will be released since that benefit, but in practice, it doesn't make the anime transcends the manga, it's just benefits of moiving picture. in fact in that mind I would say that any action anime will transcends the manga.
Aug 3, 2019 6:02 PM

Jul 2019
2ego said:
BiDiGiN said:

I'm talking about this Dororo manga: https://myanimelist.net/manga/1658/Dororo not the new one. And about Banana Fish, the manga is just rather stale. I believe the adaptation did a better job portraying what the original author really wanted.

I am reading the manga you are talking about. Is there even a new manga version of Dororo?
Will I miss out on things if I watch the anime instead of reading the manga of Banana Fish?
Aug 3, 2019 6:06 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
HaXXspetten said:

basically what you are saying is that sports anime will always transcend their manga, well I won't argue but just saying it is the benefit of anime and more likely to say that therefore an anime adaption will be released since that benefit, but in practice, it doesn't make the anime transcends the manga, it's just benefits of moiving picture. in fact in that mind I would say that any action anime will transcends the manga.

Though at the end it all depends if the animation studio does it job correctly the visuals of an anime and manga are both an important aspect of it and the manga can have great art and fluent panels while anime counterpart can also have great art and animation. In the end it depends of how well the mangaka/animation studio does its job. A visually good Vagabond adaption would be really hard to pull off.
Aug 3, 2019 6:12 PM

Dec 2007
BiDiGiN said:
User-Name said:

Though at the end it all depends if the animation studio does it job correctly the visuals of an anime and manga are both an important aspect of it and the manga can have great art and fluent panels while anime counterpart can also have great art and animation. In the end it depends of how well the mangaka/animation studio does its job. A visually good Vagabond adaption would be really hard to pull off.

you right, but my point was that even if the studio doing the action scenes as except it won't say the anime simply transcends the manga, on the other hand, if they will add some elements to improve battling so it will be more exciting than the manga, it will transcend over the manga, the question how is something else and of course depend on the studio choicel
Aug 3, 2019 6:21 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
BiDiGiN said:

you right, but my point was that even if the studio doing the action scenes as except it won't say the anime simply transcends the manga, on the other hand, if they will add some elements to improve battling so it will be more exciting than the manga, it will transcend over the manga, the question how is something else and of course depend on the studio choicel

Manga battles can be great sometimes too. I feel like anime-only watchers are afraid of reading action-shonen manga as they are pictures and not animated, but manga's fights can really well made with the fluent panels. I totally understand your point but I think I'll stick with my opinion.
Aug 3, 2019 6:25 PM

Aug 2018
Kaiji. Both seasons.

The narrator just adds so fucking much to the anime.

Those "kieru, Kieru!, KIERU!" "MAXIMUUUUUUUUUUM" "pinzoro, Pìnzoro! PINZOROOOOO" screams are just too much.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Aug 3, 2019 6:28 PM

Dec 2007
BiDiGiN said:
User-Name said:

Manga battles can be great sometimes too. I feel like anime-only watchers are afraid of reading action-shonen manga as they are pictures and not animated, but manga's fights can really well made with the fluent panels. I totally understand your point but I think I'll stick with my opinion.
hmm i said i'm agreeing with you just saying it doesn't make the anime better than the manga, on the contrary, reading manga action is more genuinely - using humankind imagination rather than shut it off in moving pictures so the anime watchers are the ones who limited not to use their imagination
Aug 3, 2019 6:35 PM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
2ego said:
Dororo
Banana Fish

Gotta agree with Banana Fish. Some of those emotional scenes just packed so much more of a punch in the anime as opposed to the manga. Maybe it was the OST and voice, or we just had a better connection to the characters because they had been so developed, but oh man did some of the last episodes get me
Aug 3, 2019 6:36 PM

Jul 2019
User-Name said:
BiDiGiN said:

hmm i said i'm agreeing with you just saying it doesn't make the anime better than the manga, on the contrary, reading manga action is more genuinely - using humankind imagination rather than shut it off in moving pictures so the anime watchers are the ones who limited not to use their imagination

O my bad I didn't understand! Interesting point and true to some extent, though good art and fluent panels are needed for you to "imagine well" the things that are happening.
Aug 3, 2019 6:44 PM

Jul 2017
not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but i do believe jojo's anime adaptation has transcended the manga on some aspects
but still originality shall be utterly valued and i respect araki's hard work and creativity
Aug 3, 2019 6:54 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Sankarea immediately comes to mind. The anime adaptation takes the source material and slows it to a crawl. The manga is rapid fire and focuses heavily on its narrative progression and tries to turn that into its primary feature and attraction. Instead of focusing on the development on the narrative and trying to rapidly advance that from place to place in an attempt to keep the reader on edge, the adaptation focuses mostly on establishing its tone and atmosphere to build up a moody and kind of emo-esque presence to it. It also takes things that were single panels in the manga and turns them into beautiful, lengthy, and focused scenery shots, and drenches itself in a color pallet that fits that vibe in areas ranging from character design to lighting, to a somber, subtle OST that didn't even register to me as background noise at the time I watched it. The ED is probably the most blatant representation of what I mean by how it's using color pallete to create that sort of mood, but really, I feel like it does an incredible job of taking all of the elements that goes into creating such a thing and then tying them all together to breathe fresh air into the entire identity of the series.

The end result, for me, was something that managed to really resonate - not due to story elements or how characters were being portrayed, but just the tone it carried itself at. It used these things to create a mood that bled how I felt when I was 14 and still listening to shitty pop-emo bands like Taking Back Sunday. And it was really easy to let myself get immersed in that feeling that it made sure to emanate at every turn, allowing it to create a bit of a nostalgic feeling, which was weird considering that it was something that I had been encountering for the first time.

The narrative itself is not very good at all - I'd go as far as to call it overwrought and way, way too inept at handling the types of extremities it tries to touch on as being important parts of the character's development - and the manga's fast pace and strong reliance on that narrative is why I consider it to be vastly inferior to what the director turned into when he was adapting it. A slow, moody burn versus FAST SHIT HAPPENING OMG WOW LOOKIE AT HOW DISGUSTING THIS IS. A lot of series can adapt a half of a volume of a manga or even a full one in a single episode, and Sankarea adapted 2 volumes over 12 episodes. It takes single panels from the manga, and transforms those into lengthy sequences of vivid imagery, without necessarily derailing from the intent of these panels from manga too far or adding in too many anime-original aspects to the sequences to feel like it's a completely separate entity. I adore that about it.

The same guy, Shinichi Omata, went on to direct Kaguya-sama and Rakugo, so I kind of feel like establishing a dominant tone and adapting works to try to make them as atmospheric as possible is his strong suit. Or, hell, if the guy can convince idiots that Kaguya-sama takes itself as seriously as Death Note then that in of itself speaks volumes for his ability to dictate mood and atmosphere.

So assuming I'm right, and he didn't just luck out three times in completely owning and building on this specific area of a work that he was directing an adaptation for, then I feel like he really put that on display in how he adapted Sankarea, and in doing so elevated a terrible source material to something that felt like a nostalgic experience I had been yearning for - even when, frankly, I wasn't yearning to feel like a moody teenager again, being a moody adult sucks so the last thing I want is to deal with that and puberty at the same time - rather than just being a story I sat down one day and watched and that was that. It burned itself into my memory entirely just through its tone and mood.
ManabanAug 3, 2019 7:13 PM

Aug 4, 2019 12:21 PM

Jun 2019
This really depends on what you're looking for. For example, I prefer the Naruto anime over the manga, because the fight scenes aren't done justice on paper. However, it's littered with filler. So objectively picking a better one isn't feasible.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 is an example that's better than the manga in every way, though. The original Sailor Moon is also far superior in my opinion.

Aug 5, 2019 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
• Asobi Asobase. The voice acting. It's incredible.
• Detroit Metal City. The music made this anime for me. GO TO DMC!
Aug 5, 2019 8:05 AM
Oct 2018
I hear that new 2020 beserk adaptation is pretty good- oh who am I kidding...
Aug 5, 2019 9:05 AM

Mar 2018
Banana Fish. Brilliant updating and it never felt rushed even if some stuff was cut out.
Aug 5, 2019 12:22 PM
Jul 2019
Jatz said:
Ghost in the Shell
Usagi Drop (lol)
Haikyuu
Ping Pong

Ghost and Haikyu are soooooooooo true. ; )
Aug 5, 2019 12:24 PM
Jul 2019
NickRedMachine said:
This really depends on what you're looking for. For example, I prefer the Naruto anime over the manga, because the fight scenes aren't done justice on paper. However, it's littered with filler. So objectively picking a better one isn't feasible.

Hunter x Hunter 2011 is an example that's better than the manga in every way, though. The original Sailor Moon is also far superior in my opinion.

True, I wanted to collect the Hxh Manga and was pretty shocked at what I found. Still an amazing story in all its aspects.
Aug 5, 2019 12:26 PM
Jul 2019
gaq_t said:

lolllllllllllllllllllllllllll
lets hope for the best tho : )))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
Aug 6, 2019 2:25 AM
Oct 2018
Julius_Spin said:
gaq_t said:

With how gore-ey and violent it is, I don't think a great adaptation is possible:(
Aug 6, 2019 2:29 AM

Nov 2008
Hayate no Gotoku is weird since the anime adaptations are better when they do its own thing rather than adapt manga stuff, but then the best storyline is manga only...

Sora no Otoshimono is also better than the manga since it cuts out the boring padding and makes the fanservice better. Except the movies, which are pretty meh.
Aug 6, 2019 2:32 AM

Jan 2009
Mob Psycho 100
Devilman Crybaby (never read its manga but manga readers say they updated the story to modern times)
My Hero Academia
Kimetsu no Yaiba

thats all i can think of right now
Aug 6, 2019 2:47 AM

Jul 2019
The ones come into my mind are jojo and Hunterxhunter(2011)
Aug 6, 2019 4:35 AM
Haruna Sairenji

Jan 2017
Cardcaptor Sakura
DiVB
Kuzu no Honkai
Kyou kara Ore wa
Saint Seiya
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Shakugan no Shana (LN)
Yuu☆Yuu☆Hakusho
Aug 6, 2019 2:30 PM
Jul 2019
gaq_t said:
Julius_Spin said:

With how gore-ey and violent it is, I don't think a great adaptation is possible:(

Although it doesnt have per se longlasting animation quality I still think the 1997 was a very good attempt and for a fair amount of aspects very watch worthy to this day, like the drawing quality in expressions, the coloring, the sound and the dialogue.

Also the movies were a pretty decent upgrade from that, although I believe they lost some quality dialogue that the 97 show did had.

Oh dear, I believe a rant is coming on...................... [so sorry].

The biggest problem the new show seems to have is not (imo) the censorship because there is a lot of violence depicted and nudity et cetera, it seems more the laziness of bad cgi and the underestimation what that does to the overal experience. The story is still good but if monsters walk like pen pen on angeldust and expressions are so void of emotion than it just stops doing what Berserk was always so good at, which is telling a crazy story and pulling you in so wicked fast and hard that you thank them for leaving you heartbroken with a harder view at the already hard world. If an animation fails to persuade you in the violent of the violent and the emotions of a psychopath than in Berserk's point of view you failed pretty hard.

They should just put in the work and hand draw the sh*t out of that beautiful storyboard thats already perfect. The targetgroup is big enough for sales. And if they dont do it right, best to not do it at all and just leave us with the manga.

Damn, I didnt even know I felt this strong, haha, who wouldve known?

PS: They also need to work on the implementing more of that philosophical existential dialogue Berserk is famous for. This shit feels a little, shallow. Maybe thats it even more, and the crappy visuals just point that out painfully. But the problem always was that they made it shallow? While we all know Berserk is not just a pretty flower, shes brutal but overal she deep as f***. Okay, I should really stop now. : )

Bye. [lolllllllllllllllllllllllll]
Aug 6, 2019 2:30 PM

Jul 2016
Domestic na Kanojo. The manga art style is not sexy.

But also, Girls Bravo. There was a gardening competition in the manga and a wrestling competition in the anime.
Aug 6, 2019 3:45 PM

Apr 2014
-Mahesvara said:
I don't know personally as i haven't touched the manga, but from what I hear the anime of Demon Slayer is infinitely better than the manga.
I was just thinking this. While the story will be largely the same, the artwork in the manga is rough, espeically at the start, while the animation in the anime adaptation is great, especially with the way the powers stand out from the rest.

More topics from this board

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

51 by LostSpectre »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 6 hours ago

26 by Zimmu »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 5 hours ago

9 by TRC_Randy »»
28 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 10 hours ago

9 by velvetnyan »»
29 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

70 by Pikmin404 »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.