Forum Settings
Forums

Kyoto Animation Proceeds with 'Violet Evergarden Gaiden' World Premiere

New
Jul 23, 2019 5:30 PM

Jul 2009
Organizers of Germany's AnimagiC anime convention announced on Tuesday that the world premiere screenings of Violet Evergarden Gaiden: Eien to Jidou Shuki Ningyou will proceed as planned on August 3 and 4, despite last week's apparent arson attack on the No. 1 Studio building of Kyoto Animation.

A statement printed in the official program of AnimagiC indicates that the screening is being held "at the express request of the studio." Violet Evergarden Gaiden, which is helmed by rising director Haruka Fujita, is not scheduled to open in Japan until September 6, at which point it will screen in theaters for two weeks. An executive with film distributor Shochiku told the Kyoto Shimbun last week that production on Violet Evergarden Gaiden was said to be completed prior to the fire.

In the aftermath of the incident, however, Violet Evergarden series director Taichi Ishidate and series producer Shinichirou Hatta have canceled their participation. Music producer Shigeru Saitou will attend the convention instead. AnimagiC is also scheduled to host the European premiere screenings of Free! Movie 3: Road to the World - Yume on August 2 and 3. The movie, which is a summary of the third season of Free!, opened in theaters in Japan on July 5 and has earned more than ¥225 million in box office sales.

In the days since the deadly fire, which has now killed 34 people, supporters of Kyoto Animation around the world have organized donation drives to help the company rebuild. One online fundraiser begun by North American anime distributor Sentai Filmworks has collected more than US$2 million as of writing. Anime goods retailer Animate is also accepting donations at all 118 store locations throughout Japan.

On Sunday, Kyoto Animation appointed lawyer Daisuke Okeda as a legal representative for media communication in relation to the fire incident. Okeda told the Mainichi Shimbun newspaper on Tuesday that, as an independent company that does not receive aid, Kyoto Animation will establish a separate bank account so that the funds raised can be redirected toward the victims and their families.

Source: AnimagiC, Kyoto Shimbun, Kyoto Animation, Mainichi Shimbun
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 5:34 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jul 23, 2019 5:57 PM

Nov 2013
Great News. Japanese's mentality are indeed very strong.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Jul 23, 2019 6:13 PM

Jul 2009
Really shows how comitted they are to their projects despite recently facing a terrible tragedy. Proud of you, KyoAni.
Jul 23, 2019 6:20 PM

May 2017
Wonderful news, hopefully the Studio can overcome this misfortune.
    CARP 9/12/18 Eterno
Jul 23, 2019 6:31 PM

Jul 2017
Great news! They really have to stay strong and have hope. They will overcome this situation. And the amount of help they are getting is amazing. Can't wait for more Violet Evergarden!
Jul 23, 2019 6:50 PM

Nov 2007
Great inspirational news in these moments of sadness.

On a side note, the Go Fund Me by Sentai will end on the 31st of July so if anyone is planning on to chip in, now is the time! Every cent will count.

There are other ways to contribute both directly and indirectly. To know how, please click my signature to redirect to the post I made.

Thank you.

#PrayForKyoAni #StayStrongKyoAni
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 23, 2019 6:53 PM

Jan 2009
wow they finished production of it before the tragedy happened
Jul 23, 2019 8:20 PM

Nov 2008
The show must go on, if it doesn't, then the mad arsonist wins.

Jul 23, 2019 8:22 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Great stuff!

A wonderful display of KyoAni’s commitment and dedication! Can’t wait to watch the movies now and hopefully more good news awaits! Sad to see the Director and Series Producer of Violet Evergarden cancel their participation but honestly who can blame them?

Truly proud to be a KyoAni fan!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 23, 2019 8:30 PM
Jul 2019
I guess they were Done with the project already, good to hear.

Jul 23, 2019 8:56 PM

Sep 2013
I hope hibike too..
Thank you KyoAni
Jul 23, 2019 9:43 PM
Jul 2017
This is honestly surprising news. Even if the project was finished before hand I would have assumed all progress would have been lost in the fire. I’m happy to see that the show must go on.
Jul 23, 2019 10:14 PM

Aug 2012
Awesome news, I love the show of resolve here.
Jul 23, 2019 11:20 PM

Dec 2014
Some seem to misunderstand something. What burned was a studio, not the whole company. This was just studio No1, which was making mostly key animation, and even that just for some anime. So no, thanks Godness, KyoAni didn't lose everything into the fire. But indeed Violet Evergarden was affected, as this studio was working on this series, and sadly much, if not everything, regarding original drawings, audio recordings, etc. was lost. From what I know this studio worked mostly in on 4 anime, but I remember only of Violet Evergarden and the Dragon Maid. It was a valuable legacy and now is lots. But if the movie was finished, is obvious that KyoAni won't keep a single recording, and in a single studio, exactly because of those sort of risks.
Jul 24, 2019 12:14 AM

Aug 2018
shanimebib said:

On a side note, the Go Fund Me by Sentai will end on the 31st of July so if anyone is planning on to chip in, now is the time! Every cent will count.

There are other ways to contribute both directly and indirectly. To know how, please click my signature to redirect to the post I made.

Thank you.

Actually, Thank you for doing something for KyoAni! I love your signature.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 24, 2019 1:00 AM
Jul 2018
Asaeed said:
Is this the actual movie or the side story one?
I think it's the side story. The sequel movie was supposed to be released in January.
Jul 24, 2019 1:03 AM
Sep 2017
Oh well....as much i dont like this movie to exist because Gilbert Is too old for Violet.

But hey Kyoto Animations needs this to atleast get a couple of money back from the fire.

I'll just let it be for now.

Edit: Well i have look at the comments and people said this is just a side story. So yeah it totally fine for me.

Btw im sure Kyoto animations still has some million in there storage so they are fine imo.
NotTrying2BLazyJul 24, 2019 1:30 AM

Jul 24, 2019 1:31 AM

Nov 2007
Lightstone said:
shanimebib said:

Thank you.

Actually, Thank you for doing something for KyoAni! I love your signature.

I am glad that you found it worthy enough to quote. So, thank you.
Coronavirus.
Jul 24, 2019 1:39 AM

Jul 2015
Stay Strong Kyoani !!
Jul 24, 2019 2:14 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
As much as I didn't care much for Violet Evergarden, it's nice to hear KyoAni won't go down so easily. Must be hard for the survivors trying to focus on their job without thinking of what happened all the time. Admirable dedication
Jul 24, 2019 2:21 AM
May 2013
Phlaryx said:
This is honestly surprising news. Even if the project was finished before hand I would have assumed all progress would have been lost in the fire. I’m happy to see that the show must go on.

studio 1 was one of 3 buildings of Kyoani. There is another studio and their office HQ. so no, they did not lose everything.

shanimebib said:

Thank you.

i hope they will elaborate on how and where funds will be distributed before the fundraiser ends. that still has not been made clear.
Jul 24, 2019 3:24 AM
Jul 2018
I can't decide if @arsonal posting this news item is in poor taste or just ironic.
Jul 24, 2019 4:04 AM

Mar 2018
This is wonderful news. It honors the dead and the injured on the project and also tells the rest of us that they will not just sit in the corner and cry but that they will wipe their tears and keep on fighting.
Jul 24, 2019 5:10 AM

Nov 2007
huntress1013 said:
This is wonderful news. It honors the dead and the injured on the project and also tells the rest of us that they will not just sit in the corner and cry but that they will wipe their tears and keep on fighting.

Yes. If it was postponed it could be understandable. Yet they have decided to go with it. That's some incredible courage and dedication there.

Not related, but this decision reminds me of the movie I saw on Manchester United which was about how the first team perished in a plane crush returning from a match in 1958. Everyone thought the football club was over after that incident but they put a make shift team and continued playing. We know the rest of their history.

I am sure KyoAni will come back stronger than ever before.
Coronavirus.
Jul 24, 2019 5:23 AM

Mar 2018
shanimebib said:
huntress1013 said:

Yes. If it was postponed it could be understandable. Yet they have decided to go with it. That's some incredible courage and dedication there.

Not related, but this decision reminds me of the movie I saw on Manchester United which was about how the first team perished in a plane crush returning from a match in 1958. Everyone thought the football club was over after that incident but they put a make shift team and continued playing. We know the rest of their history.

Yep. Perfect fighting pose. Somehow what also popped into my head was that bit of the fight speech in ID4.

We will not go quietly into the night. We will not vanish without a fight. We are going to live on! We are going to survive!
Jul 24, 2019 6:32 AM

Jun 2017
shanimebib said:

The 'Busby Babes'. One of the strongest stories in sports history. You know your stuff <3

Anyway this is great news, we all wish that KyoAni is able to come back. This is the first step.

Higurashi Gou is the worst anime in existence.
Jul 24, 2019 7:23 AM

May 2018
I drop Violet Evergarden,boring to me but I'm happy this continue.
Jul 24, 2019 8:17 AM

Mar 2014
Excellent news! good to hear.
Jul 24, 2019 8:20 AM
Jul 2018
Hopefully it will be just as good and interesting as the original series.
Jul 24, 2019 8:21 AM

Aug 2012
Keep your heads up, KyoAni. I'm proud of you!
Jul 24, 2019 9:20 AM

Nov 2007
Tomm01p said:
shanimebib said:

The 'Busby Babes'. One of the strongest stories in sports history. You know your stuff <3

Anyway this is great news, we all wish that KyoAni is able to come back. This is the first step.

KyoAni's official twitter has confirmed that the love and wishes poured out at the wake of the event have become their emotional support. And they will be back with the incredible strength they received from all over the world.

At this moment of typing this message, the KyoAni Official YT channel has amassed more than 70K subscribers in the last 5 days. The donation amount is closing towards tripling the initial goal. But the more incredible stat is the number of donors. More than 60K!

I had long lost faith in the anime community over the years (the tactless ones that we also see in MAL) but this tragic incident made me realize there are still incredible number of good people, kind people in our community. Maybe they just want to remain quiet and go about with their business - that is loving anime.

I always thought I am one of the few for whom KyoAni is a special studio. A studio that brought positivity and helped me overcome the most difficult moments in my life and taught me important life's lessons. But seeing the tweets in their official twitter account, and the GoFundMe page made me realize I am just a drop of water in the ocean of people who share the same sentiment.

KyoAni is too special a studio for the industry and the anime community to lose. The community as a whole has proven that they will stand by it and I believe many years from now we will look back to this tragedy that became one of the greatest stories of willpower, passion and dedication.
Coronavirus.
Jul 24, 2019 11:22 AM

Oct 2015
Great to hear they were able to finish the stuff befor the tragedy happend, i expected all of their projects to be delayed to some extent so seeing some to still air as scheduale is quite impressive.
Hopefully with all the support and donations they will recieve they will be able to recover quickly and continue doin what they love. And for us more stuff to enjoy.
Jul 24, 2019 12:55 PM
Jan 2018
Naomi ISHIDA has been confirmed to have died in the fire

Below is what she worked on

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=38077

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20190724/k00/00m/040/353000c

Might need to find a better article
Jul 24, 2019 2:33 PM
May 2015
Violet Evergarden is a great anime, and a fine choice for Kyoto Animation to start back from.

May the studio find blessed restoration.
Jul 24, 2019 10:14 PM
Jun 2011
i loved ishida work it a shame she died RIP
Jul 25, 2019 10:26 AM
Aug 2018
Anybody knows anythingabout Haruka Fujita? I love her work, and the fact that this article says "rising director" and that I don't know anything about iher as of now breaks my heart little by little :(
Jul 25, 2019 3:08 PM

Dec 2012
yes the film to be released was indeed finished.

It was entirely appropriate to publish this thread ...KyoAni is clearly wanting to honor the future as well as the past...and this was their clear signal of that.

Ishida-san did lovely work on the vivid colour scheme of Amagi Brilliant Park...so sorry she is gone,. May her spirit be at peace.

Jul 26, 2019 7:58 AM

Jul 2009
R0rack said:
Anybody knows anythingabout Haruka Fujita? I love her work, and the fact that this article says "rising director" and that I don't know anything about iher as of now breaks my heart little by little :(

The Sakuga Blog already has a thorough profile of Fujita. It's from a couple years back but still relevant, so I won't repeat what they wrote.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jul 26, 2019 7:26 PM
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Feb 2012
As someone who donated to one of the campaigns, I'm relieved to hear that an account will be made to give back to the victims and their families.

This is still really hard to swallow.
"There is nothing outside of yourself that enables you to get better. Everything is within. Seek nothing outside of yourself." ⛩️

Jul 29, 2019 6:55 AM

Nov 2007
arsonal said:
R0rack said:

The Sakuga Blog already has a thorough profile of Fujita. It's from a couple years back but still relevant, so I won't repeat what they wrote.

The query was on her whereabouts. Not who she is, I believe.

On related news:

The Government of Japan is considering taking measures that would enable the domestic and international donations made in favour to help the families of the victims and the studio to recover reach the intended targets. It will introduce new tax breaks for donation made in favour of Kyoto Animation. Other plans include helping Kyoto Animation recreate the young animator training programme which is now gone because of the destruction of Studio 1.

Meanwhile, Kyoto Animation has decided to give Chikai no Finale more screenings in Tokyo next month.

Sources: NHK and Official Twitter of Hibike! Euphonium.

Meanwhile, Kyoto Animation's President Hatta Hideaki requested for some time and vowed to bring Kyoto Animation back to producing animation that brought the people all around the world together to become the candle in their darkness. And he promised that Kyoto Animation will not give up without a fight.

Source: Message To The People All Over The World.
Coronavirus.
Jul 29, 2019 8:06 AM

Mar 2018
I'm glad they're still going strong but i still feel like they need a lot of time to rest after what happened.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 13, 2019 6:28 AM
Aug 2019
I think their campaign do work really well

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production

DatRandomDude - 8 hours ago

33 by Yubisoft »»
42 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
7 hours ago

» 'Look Back' Unveils Additional Staff, Trailer

DatRandomDude - Apr 16

23 by 3inPunisher »»
10 hours ago

» 'Elf-san wa Yaserarenai.' Unveils Production Staff, First Promo

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by DylanVSAnimez »»
Yesterday, 4:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.