Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
The next big anime?
Jul 24, 2019 12:24 PM

Oct 2015
What are your thoughts/predictions regarding the popularity and success of Vinland Saga? How far do you think it will reach within the community? Beyond?

I think it has a good chance of becoming immensely popular. The source material seems generally loved by readers and the anime has had a great start from the looks of things so far. If it stays consistent or gets better I can't imagine how much of a huge success it will be.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 24, 2019 2:21 PM
Jul 2018
Probably because it's good and the source material is adored. I don't think it's great at least so far but I do think it's better than Attack on Titan. Apparently, it just keeps getting better and better so I'm on board.
Jul 24, 2019 3:12 PM
Jan 2012
Considering what I've seen so far, probably.

I'm also pretty sure that any person who enjoyed Vikings would enjoy this anime, so that's a lot of potential viewers outside of the anime audience.
Jul 25, 2019 4:08 AM

Jul 2008
No, definitely not. It's good but like most good things will not appeal to the masses.

I think Kodansha USA was crying about how they would cancel their English Vinland Saga manga release unless people started buying it for like a year.

I think it might do somewhat okay (in Japan, outside doesn't matter), but not well enough to risk an anime adaptation beyond the arc they will be adapting now considering the tone shift.
NickienatorJul 25, 2019 4:24 AM

Jul 25, 2019 4:23 AM
Sep 2016
Nickienator said:
No, definitely not. It's good but like most good things will not appeal to the masses.

I think Kodansha USA was crying about how they would cancel their English Vinland Saga unless people started buying it for like a year.

I think it might do somewhat okay (in Japan, outside doesn't matter), but not well enough to risk an anime adaptation beyond the arc they will be adapting now considering the tone shift.

it doesn't always work that way, for example 3 gatsu no lion, even if the sales of that manga are very high for a Seinen (600 k for copy).
One thing they have in common is that they are broadcast on an important national network.
I agree that Farmalnd saga may not appeal to the mass (despite being the best arc)
Jul 25, 2019 10:46 AM

Oct 2018
thekillfra said:
Nickienator said:

I think Kodansha USA was crying about how they would cancel their English Vinland Saga unless people started buying it for like a year.

it doesn't always work that way, for example 3 gatsu no lion, even if the sales of that manga are very high for a Seinen (600 k for copy).
One thing they have in common is that they are broadcast on an important national network.
I agree that Farmalnd saga may not appeal to the mass (despite being the best arc)

Comes to show people nowadays are warmongers.
Jul 25, 2019 12:10 PM
Aug 2017
HungryForQuality said:
but I do think it's better than Attack on Titan.

That ain't it chief.

It's really good probably the best this season( it's between this and Dr stone) but certainly not better than aot.
Jul 25, 2019 12:13 PM
Jul 2018
Monarch9 said:
HungryForQuality said:

That ain't it chief.

It's really good probably the best this season( it's between this and Dr stone) but certainly not better than aot.

To each their own I guess. I found AOT's characters to be largely uninteresting and the plot to be needlessly meandering. At least for the first two seasons. Haven't watched past that.

Haven't watched Dr Stone so maybe I should try that out.
Jul 25, 2019 1:44 PM

Oct 2013
HungryForQuality said:
Monarch9 said:

That ain't it chief.

To each their own I guess. I found AOT's characters to be largely uninteresting and the plot to be needlessly meandering. At least for the first two seasons. Haven't watched past that.

How about liking more anime before anyone take your opinion seriously. Anyone with a extremely low mean score or an extremely high mean score are unreliable, one dislike almost everything, while the other love almost everything, in the end both are the same.
Jul 25, 2019 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
HungryForQuality said:

How about liking more anime before anyone take your opinion seriously. Anyone with a extremely low mean score or an extremely high mean score are unreliable, one dislike almost everything, while the other love almost everything, in the end both are the same.

I'm sorry you find me unreliable. You can guess I probably feel the same way when you can't bother to look at my rating system or ever look past simple numbers. My opinions go far deeper than simple numbers. They're just guidelines.

Also, do you just wait to pounce on anyone who doesn't have just positive things to say about AOT? It's fucking annoying. I don't badger you so why do you feel the need to badger me? Stop being a jackass.
Jul 25, 2019 1:55 PM

Mar 2017
lol whats with that?
Jul 25, 2019 2:15 PM
Aug 2017
HungryForQuality said:
Monarch9 said:

That ain't it chief.

Well urs avg score and school days being one of ur favs tells alot bout you.
Jul 25, 2019 2:19 PM
Jul 2018
Monarch9 said:
HungryForQuality said:

Well urs avg score and school days being one of ur favs tells alot bout you.

And what does it say Monarch? Enlighten me.
Jul 25, 2019 3:50 PM

Feb 2019
Really?! Why do we need to bring up AOT in every VS discussion? It's tiring tbh.

Also it may be possible that VS may be the next big thing. But doubt that casuals would like the farm arc. Best arc imo.
Jul 25, 2019 4:08 PM
Apr 2016
Hopefully, it deserves all the popularity.
Jul 25, 2019 5:34 PM
Jul 2018
if there's one more retard that compares Attack on Titan with Vinland Saga on this site, i'm going to throw my computer off the window
Jul 25, 2019 6:07 PM

Apr 2018
Someone : "Better than...."
another : TRIGGERED!!!

Me: oh shit,here we again.

Joke aside, I doubt it can be another big anime, It's a great anime for sure and the first 2 arc of the manga is a masterpiece. But i think this anime is not for everyone, thats why even in MAL a shitshow like fireforece and dr.stone has more users than vinland. just my personal opinion.
Jul 25, 2019 6:11 PM

Oct 2015
It already was the next big anime when it was announced :v
Jul 25, 2019 7:59 PM

Nov 2018
Do any of you remenber AoT before it got an anime? Yeah, it was just another manga everyone ignored, and the absolutely shitty art in the early chapters in the manga didnt help it either. But now it gets the 'nothing can surpass this' treatment... Vinland saga dont have much in common with AoT, but it certainly has potential to surpass it in terms of popularity.

But then again, this is anime we are talking about, mainstream fools enjoy the garbage that is SAO, soo i for one wont be surprised at all if this get a fuckton of hate when harvest moon arc starts.
TougenJul 25, 2019 8:12 PM
Jul 25, 2019 8:09 PM

Jan 2009
do we even have a confirmation that WIT Studio is part of the production committee of this? and if they are part of it then how high are they on it? since the more higher you are on the production committee then the more profit share you will get and also the more you can say that you own this work
Jul 25, 2019 9:56 PM

Oct 2013
HungryForQuality said:
keragamming said:

I'm sorry you find me unreliable. You can guess I probably feel the same way when you can't bother to look at my rating system or ever look past simple numbers. My opinions go far deeper than simple numbers. They're just guidelines.

Also, do you just wait to pounce on anyone who doesn't have just positive things to say about AOT? It's fucking annoying. I don't badger you so why do you feel the need to badger me? Stop being a jackass.

How about stop bringing up attack on titan in it, it is annoying at this point. Everyone like to compare attack on titan to other series even if they are nothing alike, just so they can say, "I like it more than attack on titan" as if that makes their point more valid, you guys are annoying.

Stop comparing attack on titan to every goddamn series and people like me wont bother you.
Jul 26, 2019 6:46 AM

Nov 2017
It has the potential since it already gathered new fans and the bandwagon fans. But then again VS is an adult-oriented anime, doubt the following seasons could appeal to everyone.
Jul 27, 2019 9:10 AM

Oct 2013
LalatinaDarkness said:
It has the potential since it already gathered new fans and the bandwagon fans. But then again VS is an adult-oriented anime, doubt the following seasons could appeal to everyone.

Adult oriented anime? What do you mean by this? Only adults can comprehend its complex plot? Did you know that most anime fans are over 18 years old? Or are you saying the next arc has less action and more character development, if that is the case, saying adult oriented is a bit misleading.

You are also implying the current arc isn't already adult oriented?

Jul 27, 2019 11:43 AM

Nov 2017
keragamming said:
LalatinaDarkness said:

Adult oriented anime? What do you mean by this? Only adults can comprehend its complex plot? Did you know that most anime fans are over 18 years old? Or are you saying the next arc has less action and more character development, if that is the case, saying adult oriented is a bit misleading.

I meant the demographic.
Jul 27, 2019 12:06 PM

Oct 2013
LalatinaDarkness said:
keragamming said:

I meant the demographic.

18 to 34 is like the most watch demographic for anime and probably in general, I think using the term "adult oriented" can be confusing, I think you are saying the farmarc will probably not appeal to everyone because it is more character focus and less action? If that is the case that doesn't have any to do with being catered to adult or not, but more to do with preference.

I heard it will be a lot more slice of life in the farm arc, which is not a popular genre to begin with.
Jul 27, 2019 12:16 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Well I doubt it's going to be as popular as SnK exactly because I don't think Vinland Saga has quite as big of a target demographic. Nevertheless it is certainly a good manga so as long as they don't botch anything then there's not much reason to believe it wouldn't be well received
Jul 27, 2019 3:49 PM

May 2018
It should be the next. Simple as that. Just wait and we will see how people will react after few episodes.

Jul 28, 2019 7:06 AM
Jul 2018
HungryForQuality said:
Monarch9 said:

That ain't it chief.

I would suggest reading Attack on Titan. Everything pre basement Attack on Titan will make sense after the basement reveal.
Jul 28, 2019 7:09 AM
Jul 2018
LalatinaDarkness said:
Most of us are adults here.
Jul 28, 2019 7:14 AM
Jul 2018
Tougen said:
Do any of you remenber AoT before it got an anime? Yeah, it was just another manga everyone ignored, and the absolutely shitty art in the early chapters in the manga didnt help it either. But now it gets the 'nothing can surpass this' treatment... Vinland saga dont have much in common with AoT, but it certainly has potential to surpass it in terms of popularity.

But then again, this is anime we are talking about, mainstream fools enjoy the garbage that is SAO, soo i for one wont be surprised at all if this get a fuckton of hate when harvest moon arc starts.
Attack on Titan wasn't super hyped for no reason just to clarify. People can enjoy SAO if they want. Just because something is mainstream doesnt mean its bad.
Jul 28, 2019 7:28 AM

Jan 2013
i picked cant say for sure. its being hyped as such but the schedule for the first three episodes and the fact that Amazon got it may hurt it, at least in the west. its gonna be good if they show itself keeps it up tho
Jul 28, 2019 9:25 AM

Dec 2015
Pretty sure. Already better than Attack on Titan and it would be a waste of money if they didn't follow through with it and made at least another 3-4 cour worth of more seasons.
Jul 28, 2019 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
You know you guys can call something good without dragging another completely different anime into the discussion
Jul 28, 2019 2:10 PM

Oct 2013
laviha said:
You know you guys can call something good without dragging another completely different anime into the discussion

People need validation it seems and they would do that by putting down another series in the process.

Tougen said:

Congratulation for stating what happen to literally every series before they got a anime adaptation and btw snk was extremely popular in japan, it was even beating bleach before getting a anime, so it had the potential to become popular it just needed that anime promotion to push for that to happen, especially in the west.

vinland saga is a historical series which are generally not that popular, but it has good action and story so anything is possible.
Jul 28, 2019 2:25 PM

Oct 2018
Tougen said:

I'm just here to trigger you by saying that I actually liked SAO and it's even in my favourites
Jul 28, 2019 2:28 PM

Nov 2018
-Aincrad- said:
Tougen said:

I'm just here to trigger you by saying that I actually liked SAO and it's even in my favourites

Why would you liking SAO trigger me? If you like that shit, you like that shit.
Jul 28, 2019 2:39 PM

Oct 2018
Tougen said:
-Aincrad- said:

Why would you liking SAO trigger me? If you like that shit, you like that shit.

Believe it or not, it has happened multiple times that people who hated SAO, tried to convince me why it's sh*t like their lives depended on it

At first I was stupid enough to start arguing, but after that, everytime it had happened, I just kept laughing

So I thought you might do that too

Seems like you're not that dedicated to hating SAO :D
Jul 28, 2019 2:45 PM

Nov 2018
keragamming said:

Tougen said:

Congratulation for stating what happen to literally every series before they got a anime adaptation and btw snk was extremely popular in japan, it was even beating bleach before getting a anime, so it had the potential to become popular it just needed that anime promotion to push for that to happen, especially in the west.

vinland saga is a historical series which are generally not that popular, but it has good action and story so anything is possible.

I dont hate SAO because its popular ,its your tipical iseka/wish fullfilment/harem anime and thats fine, i hate that is IS popular, popular enough to spawn thousands of copycats of it. historical anime is not that popular there, but one on this time period certainly can(and will) draw attention from the west, even to people that never watched anime. Thus why i said it can surpass AoT in terms of popularity.
TougenJul 28, 2019 2:49 PM
Jul 28, 2019 2:51 PM
Oct 2013
WIT got its reputation because of AOT, we all remember Kabanari and the hype it got and didn't live to it.
If they gave Vinland Saga 50% of effort they gave Kabanari, then the answer is yes ofc.
Jul 28, 2019 7:21 PM
Feb 2016
It can be next big Wit Studio anime. But can't be larger than AoT, because AoT had bigger audience and community. If we see, nowday the consumer (manga or anime ) really like cleaner artstyle and lighter story. So I sure AoT is still vigger than Vinland Saga
Jul 28, 2019 9:28 PM
Oct 2017
Tougen said:

Well you certainly don't know your stuff. Attack on Titan was already popular before the anime aired, it just that whent he anime aired it multiplied the sale by a ridiculous amount. It certainly isn't one of those manga people ignored before an anime show up. That would be something like Houseki no Kuni.
Jul 28, 2019 10:43 PM

Jul 2019
lasso_914 said:
WIT got its reputation because of AOT, we all remember Kabanari and the hype it got and didn't live to it.
If they gave Vinland Saga 50% of effort they gave Kabanari, then the answer is yes ofc.
nah they have to give 100% to vinland saga because it is not an easy manga to adapt. It would be hard to maintain the quality.
puneetsinghJul 29, 2019 3:10 AM
Should I troll in the troll bait threads? It is kinda idiotic to be logical in the troll bait threads. Well, it will depend on my mood.
Jul 29, 2019 5:52 AM
Aug 2018
You can use Kimetsu no Yaiba as a reference, I would say this anime will get 330k member at the end of 24 ep. If season 2 comes, members can go to 550k.

If you want a big anime as much as Attack on Titan, that anime should turn into an internet troll firstly lol.
Jul 29, 2019 1:06 PM

Jan 2019
We Will see. When i first saw aot season 1 I thought that it Will be a hidden thing in the world of anime but it's not... so maybe Vinland Saga Will be popular too as it has the Viking theme wich was popular in the last decade, maybe that Will help.
Merciful lies or painful truth?
Jul 30, 2019 8:04 AM

Mar 2012
Monarch9 said:
HungryForQuality said:

That ain't it chief.

Vinland is considered (by far) as a better manga than SnK and one of the best seinen of all time on manga community.
I know that SnK is more "popular" because of is style but Vinland is a better works, imo and already a "classic".
Probably one of the only already cult manga of the 21th century.
SnK is more like societal phenomenon it's not exactly the same.

Btw the question isn't to say who has the biggest.

And I think like Kiseijuu Vinland will became a great anime frequently quote when you ask a good anime. But it's not an SnK - SAO - MHA tier.
Ant the setting which should be in a second season is particular.
For me it's excellent but it's slow, no figthing all in psychology and I don't think casuals watchers/beginners will love it.

Plus pleaaaase don't compare Vinland Saga (one of the greatest manga still publishing) with a random shonen as Dr Stone.
It's really trigger me. Stone is just a random shonen where Boichi lose his time... Not bad, not good either.
Pretty average characters, development etc..
Interesting setting tho.
Jul 30, 2019 9:01 AM
Apr 2019
Tougen said:

I agree with you bro.Even I ignored AoT for a long ass time.
Vinland Saga is definitely the best show in this season.
Jul 30, 2019 9:57 AM

May 2015
They don't make a lot of shows, so pretty much everything they do make becomes big in some way. Will VS be as big as AoT? No, but it has a critically acclaimed and beloved manga, and the adaptation is pretty much perfect so far. So yes, it will be a hit.

Aug 5, 2019 2:30 PM

Oct 2013
Who cares about popularity? It's easily the best wit studio anime.
Aug 5, 2019 2:53 PM

Apr 2018
I don't think this will ever come close to AoT in terms of popularity, if that's what u mean with "Big Wit Studio anime".
It's definitely among the most popular anime of this season. But I really don't see it going beyond that
Aug 5, 2019 3:52 PM

Oct 2011
Jfs_ said:
Someone : "Better than...."
another : TRIGGERED!!!

Me: oh shit,here we again.

Joke aside, I doubt it can be another big anime, It's a great anime for sure and the first 2 arc of the manga is a masterpiece. But i think this anime is not for everyone, thats why even in MAL a shitshow like fireforece and dr.stone has more users than vinland. just my personal opinion.

i agree, its good but its not for everyone.
fire force and dr.stone gets to anyone while VS is more for specific people definently
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Yesterday, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

271 by Fibyu »»
Apr 10, 9:53 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.