Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 22, 2019 7:52 PM

Apr 2015
You know the kind. Fist of the North Star, Riki-Oh, classic JoJo, Berserk, etc. I love a good amount of modern anime, but I wish that there were a bit more anime filled with chiseled, muscular men doing manly things these days.
My signature got deleted and I can't be bothered to make a new one.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 22, 2019 8:00 PM
Feb 2017
Isn't Vinland Saga a "manime"? It came out this season.
Jul 22, 2019 8:09 PM

Apr 2015
BlakexEkalb said:
Isn't Vinland Saga a "manime"? It came out this season.
I mean, it's close, but I don't think it's quite manly enough. Even if we consider Vinland Saga a manime, that''s only 1 anime. Sadly, manime just isn't popular anymore. I guess my point here is that it'd be nice if we got at least 1 manime per season, rather than being lucky to get one a year.
Jul 22, 2019 8:12 PM
Jul 2018
well, people arent interested, I wouldnt watch it either, because honestly, the romcom, isekai and hero shounens are entertaining enough
Edit: you could also give baki a try, thats pretty much what u would want
Jul 22, 2019 8:14 PM

Jun 2012
In recent memory we have Souten no Ken, the recent Baki series, Megalo Box, and Ushio to Tora.

They were a thing of the 80s. Unfortunately like mecha, it seems that means they're a thing of the past.
Jul 22, 2019 8:15 PM

Apr 2015
HisokaxMeruem said:
well, people arent interested, I wouldnt watch it either, because honestly, the romcom, isekai and hero shounens are entertaining enough
Edit: you could also give baki a try, thats pretty much what u would want
I plan on watching Baki, thanks for the suggestion :)
Jul 22, 2019 8:16 PM

Apr 2015
AtmosphericEntry said:
In recent memory we have Souten no Ken, the recent Baki series, Megalo Box, and Ushio to Tora.

They were a thing of the 80s. Unfortunately like mecha, it seems that means they're a thing of the past.
I can only hope that it cycles back around one day.
Jul 22, 2019 8:17 PM

Mar 2017
You can also try Hinomaru Sumo. It's all about muscular men doing muscular things.
Jul 22, 2019 8:23 PM

Nov 2017
meh, its not really a genre that can have a diverse amount of titles that would be very interesting, so i think all the ones we have are good enough.
Jul 22, 2019 8:41 PM

Apr 2015
carseatheadrest said:
meh, its not really a genre that can have a diverse amount of titles that would be very interesting, so i think all the ones we have are good enough.
I think it can be plenty diverse. It can be sci-fi, fantasy, martial arts, sports, almost anything. The only real rule here is that it's manly men doing manly manly things. At the very least, some reboots of older manime would be nice, since a lot of the animation is very dated.
Jul 22, 2019 8:41 PM

Apr 2015
Kenny_Stryker said:
You can also try Hinomaru Sumo. It's all about muscular men doing muscular things.
I'll check it out, thanks a million!
Jul 22, 2019 8:55 PM

Dec 2015
Trends come and go and right now isekai harems are what's in. Overall I would like for anime to be more diverse in general because seasonal shows can feel super same-y. Also you should watch kinnikuman which is manine comedy about pro wrestling that I watched as a kid.
Jul 22, 2019 9:08 PM

Apr 2015
Silverchariot89 said:
Trends come and go and right now isekai harems are what's in. Overall I would like for anime to be more diverse in general because seasonal shows can feel super same-y. Also you should watch kinnikuman which is manine comedy about pro wrestling that I watched as a kid.
I agree. Imagine how great it would be if we got new mystery, shounen, Slice of Life, horror, isekai, manime, and every other genre every season? I'd have so much to watch! Also, thanks for the suggestion!
Jul 22, 2019 11:10 PM
Jul 2018
Toriko was the most recent one with 143 episodes.
Jul 22, 2019 11:14 PM
Jul 2018
We still get them tho. Look at the new Baki, Devilman, Jojo part 5, Vinland Saga, so yeah. They aren't the main trend but are still being produced.
Jul 22, 2019 11:19 PM

Oct 2012
What do you mean you miss jojo, isnt it airing right now?
Jul 22, 2019 11:32 PM

Apr 2008
We can only hope trends will cycle back again. Anime tends to be all about jumping on the train of whatever was most recently popular, so all you need is one big hit and then you get like 10 copy cats trying to squeeze every last yen from a concept.

That said, I don't think the spirit of the 80s and 90s gratuitous violence and muscle anime will ever really return as anything more than homages. Not only do cultures change, but audiences do as well. Anime right now is gonna be geared toward an entirely different generation of people who didn't even exist when stuff like this was popular.
Jul 23, 2019 12:01 AM

Jan 2018
It's not my cup of tea but I need more of Katsuragi Keima or a main male mc who at least knows what to do when push comes to shove.
Jul 23, 2019 12:04 AM

Oct 2013
I miss mecha anime more, but I'll take my action anime anyway I can get it.
Jul 23, 2019 12:39 AM
Jul 2017
There was Baki that came out last year. And I think Vinland Saga should count as a manime too. But yeah I agree that there isn’t enough manime out there anymore.
Jul 23, 2019 12:43 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
simonephone said:

I think he means he misses jojo having buff dudes. After part 3, they’re replaced with metrosexuals.
Jul 23, 2019 12:52 AM
Apr 2017
They'll come back if there'll be an audience for them and apparently there isn't. Things that worked in the 80s don't necessarily work now (for better or worse), and buff sexually imprecise men doing manly things wouldn't probably drive many sales in today's anime market.

I can confirm that hinomaruzumou is pretty much manly men doing manly things (and its outro is more gay than the entirety of yuri on ice; it's quite spectacular) and I honestly really enjoyed it.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 23, 2019 12:56 AM

Oct 2008
Do these mach up to what you are referring to. If so than I don't feel like there are fewer of them, but just enough.

Definitely:
Terra Formars
Zetman

Maybe:
Megalo Box
Golden Kamuy
Hinomaruzumou
Jul 23, 2019 1:19 AM

Mar 2015
The currently airing Dumbbell anime has macho men. Or I guess macho man since it's mostly one. But hey it's something. There's All Out as well, though idk might not quite be a manime.

there's always bara manga for muscular men heh
Jul 23, 2019 6:49 AM

Feb 2015
Do you know Sakigake Otokojuku? The series has some issues, but maybe it's still to your liking, since it has a very similar style as Hokuto no Ken.
Jul 23, 2019 6:54 AM

Nov 2010
So GAR i guess. Not big fan, overly masculine stuff just don't hit me, the mindsets and motivations of the characters have are bit hard to understand. I don't usually like many of the GAR classics and think they are bit overrated.

But i guess i would take it over isekai boom.
Jul 23, 2019 6:57 AM
Apr 2016
Honestly it annoys me to see threads like this when made by people that haven't watched even most of the "manime," first watch them, and then make threads like this.
Jul 23, 2019 9:25 AM

Jul 2013
Yes and anime with the amount of strong adult material qualified to fit in with the R rating is so difficult to come by. When will Japan ever learn that enough is enough? that is, enough with the kiddy s**t! I think that I'll be reading Hellboy comics instead, which has the adult material needed to satisfy men.
Jul 23, 2019 12:03 PM

Oct 2012
MeisterDM said:
simonephone said:

I think he means he misses jojo having buff dudes. After part 3, they’re replaced with metrosexuals.

Oh true idk why that wasnt obvious to me lol.

2ego said:
Honestly it annoys me to see threads like this when made by people that haven't watched even most of the "manime," first watch them, and then make threads like this.

Same tho, it's not like older shows just disappear. Nobody's forcing you to watch seasonals and this forum usually has a good bit of discussion for older shows as long as they're not completely obscure.
Jul 23, 2019 12:17 PM

Jun 2008
Piriph said:
You know the kind. Fist of the North Star, Riki-Oh, classic JoJo, Berserk, etc. I love a good amount of modern anime, but I wish that there were a bit more anime filled with chiseled, muscular men doing manly things these days.

I agree we need more manliness instead of this boyish high-school decent looking suppose average guys.
Jul 23, 2019 12:18 PM
Apr 2016
simonephone said:
MeisterDM said:

2ego said:

Same tho, it's not like older shows just disappear. Nobody's forcing you to watch seasonals and this forum usually has a good bit of discussion for older shows as long as they're not completely obscure.

There's an insane amount of old amazing shows, and I don't think that I'll ever run out of them. It's unfortunate to see people complain about seasonals, as if they've seen every old good anime.
Jul 23, 2019 12:25 PM

May 2009
How has no one yet mentioned Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann?

Also, sometimes there's stuff that doesn't have the GAR aesthetic but may still be relevant. For example, it might be surprising given the following is a harem series (with a set of female characters wielding legendary superpowered weapons, no less), but my favorite character in Lord Marksman and Vanadis is the protag, Lord Tigrevurmud Vorn, who proves himself to be very capable, skilled, clever, and intelligent. That said, if you're specifically interested in the aesthetic, this isn't what you're looking for.
GlennMagusHarveyJul 23, 2019 12:31 PM
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 23, 2019 12:38 PM
May 2015
The Baki anime was recently around, so manime isn't dead.

That said, this genre needs a major revival IMO.
Jul 23, 2019 12:43 PM
Feb 2014
Ewww, no!!! Big, hulking, muscular baras are not what i want to see in anime!

Good riddance!

I personally hope this trend never comes back!!!
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 23, 2019 1:07 PM

Jun 2014
Like some here have already stated, "Hinomaruzumou" is definitely what you're looking for.

Dauphine said:

Good riddance!

I'm generally not into muscular bara stuff either, but Hinomaruzumou has a couple of hot guys in it, like Sada.

Jul 23, 2019 1:10 PM

Oct 2014
I'm not into full on gar, but I would prefer more mature anime with older characters and intricate themes. Well, times change. Trends and tropes come and go. It's just natural.

We are in the height of moe, otaku pandering wish fulfillment, and pubescent beta male cucks. One day that'll change as well. Hopefully.
Jul 23, 2019 1:19 PM
Feb 2014
Pyro said:
I'm not into full on gar, but I would prefer more mature anime with older characters and intricate themes. Well, times change. Trends and tropes come and go. It's just natural.

We are in the height of moe, otaku pandering wish fulfillment, and pubescent beta male cucks. One day that'll change as well. Hopefully.

Yes, i sincerely hope the moe and otaku pandering wish fulfillment trend dies soon too.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Jul 23, 2019 1:20 PM
Jan 2015
Most girls aren't really into the big hulking mass of muscle and they seem to prefer more lean and toned male characters, like the guys from Free or Kuroko.

These types of characters still exist, but we're pretty much past the point where anime with casts mainly full of these types are a common thing.
My Queens

Jul 23, 2019 1:26 PM

Dec 2015
Have you even watched recent anime like Garo or Megalo Box or Baki?
They are all some of the most manly testosterone anime to come out in years.
Jul 23, 2019 1:29 PM
Feb 2014
-Mahesvara said:
Most girls aren't really into the big hulking mass of muscle and they seem to prefer more lean and toned male characters, like the guys from Free or Kuroko.

These types of characters still exist, but we're pretty much past the point where anime with casts mainly full of these types are a common thing.

Exactly, most girls(me included) prefer bishounen and ikemen! :D

Jul 23, 2019 1:34 PM

Jan 2019
I don't miss "Manime" since the "manly" shows are almost all lacking in cute girls. I find watching adorable nekos flash their pantsu to be more manly than muscly dudes grunting at eachother.

Also, "Manime" sounds super fruity.
Jul 23, 2019 1:38 PM

Feb 2010
The term 'manime' makes me cringe. Where I come from we simply call it GAR and it's about more than just being a musclehead.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 23, 2019 1:43 PM

Aug 2015
Gross,No,those animes have some of the ugliest body built, like jojo
Jul 23, 2019 1:45 PM

Oct 2012
2ego said:
simonephone said:

There's an insane amount of old amazing shows, and I don't think that I'll ever run out of them. It's unfortunate to see people complain about seasonals, as if they've seen every old good anime.

I know right? It's so easy to find any anime in high quality online these days. Its like some people only watch anime now to be part of the current discussion, instead of actually trying to seek out things that they'll like.
Jul 23, 2019 1:47 PM
Feb 2014
madarchod said:
Gross,No,those animes have some of the ugliest body built, like jojo

Glad someone agrees with me! XD

*Word count smh*

Jul 23, 2019 1:53 PM
Jul 2019
Piriph said:

Hey check out Cosmic Warriors link in my sig i cant post the link or my post will get removed. It is very manime.

I was learned how to draw from copying hokuto no ken.

Cosmic warriors is more zany and over the top, like kinnikuman, about a retired tag team beating up jerk jobs.
Please check out the Cosmic Warriors motion comic

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi3llVODuPfHtN70i9gKKsg

The most censored motion comic on MyAnimeList.net

Jul 23, 2019 2:36 PM

Aug 2010
well you got JoJos (at least the early jojos - the characters get more androgynous with each part)

theres also baki the grappler

cant think of any other recent ones off the top of my head.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jul 23, 2019 4:46 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Sorry, but I don’t miss seeing buff dudes or manime. I prefer bishonens. If anything, jojo’s artstyle made me avoid that anime for a long while. (Jotaro, Jonathan, and Joseph are 2gar4me). Bishonens/Ikemen >>>> Gar.
Dauphine said:

Good riddance!

This.

DiscoDespot said:
I don't miss "Manime" since the "manly" shows are almost all lacking in cute girls. I find watching adorable nekos flash their pantsu to be more manly than muscly dudes grunting at eachother.

Also, "Manime" sounds super fruity.

Polnareff, Joseph, Okuyasu, and Narancia are cute girls stuck in a man’s body. In terms of personality, they’re moe as fuck.
Jul 23, 2019 4:49 PM

Sep 2010
AtmosphericEntry said:

While mecha is still a thing its no where near the amount that got pumped out back in the 80s. A shame honestly I love the genre
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jul 23, 2019 7:06 PM

Dec 2012
Golden Kamuy is probably up your alley then. It's 2 seasons with a 3rd on the way.

"Manime" is kind of hit or miss. I like the violent bloody hack and slash stuff and gritty shoot 'em Ups but I'm not really a fan of things like that are just there to parade around bare chested man meat as the main attraction.
KruszerJul 23, 2019 7:42 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you watch anything else besides anime? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 21

75 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

38 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» You truly don't care about anime MAL score/rank? Ooh cool, but... ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 21

90 by shironeko13 »»
9 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9067 by appledude1221 »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 6 hours ago

26 by JulianR »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.