Jun 2017
Really?
I do not know, but I feel that something is going to go wrong
Mar 19, 2018 11:05 AM
Aug 2016
Recap. Both of them
Mar 19, 2018 11:09 AM
Aug 2015
Recaps, but hopefully we'll get extra scenes.
Either way, doesn't matter, still excited regardless
Mar 19, 2018 12:14 PM

Mar 2015
Means second season is at least not coming before 2020 then..
"GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

Mar 19, 2018 1:02 PM

Sep 2016
I hope that they are showing some stuff after the first season in the end of the movie (like they did in Berserk for example)
Mar 19, 2018 1:10 PM

May 2013
Are we getting recap movies instead of S2?

Mar 19, 2018 1:14 PM
Jan 2018
Uggg, I will order the manga and BRD for the anime for safe keeping...sigh
Mar 19, 2018 1:15 PM

Sep 2016
KalfKaneda said:
Are we getting recap movies instead of S2?
no, they confirmed that the sequel is in production and will be airing after the 2 movies. We still dont know if its an OVA series, a 3rd movie or an actual season.
Mar 19, 2018 2:14 PM
Sep 2012
I'm highly disappointed :(
Mar 19, 2018 3:57 PM
Oct 2016
Imean, it gives the Manga more time to progress, which in turn gives us more material for Season 2
Mar 19, 2018 6:07 PM
Oct 2017
Hanadai said:
I'm highly disappointed :(

Don't be, this was to be expected since the studio and all the staff in the production commitee didn't think it'd sell this well so the studio had already plans for 2018 and 2019; well otherwise they'd not be able to sustain themselves.
Mar 19, 2018 7:49 PM

Apr 2016
Sooo... that means no season 2?
Mar 20, 2018 6:25 AM
Oct 2017
I don't think this is a recap. The anime just have 13 episodes. And the movie have 2 hours duration.
Mar 20, 2018 9:37 AM

Sep 2014
it
Rico_Hoover said:
I don't think this is a recap. The anime just have 13 episodes. And the movie have 2 hours duration.
it is a recap (or rather 2 recaps) though. Im not sure if 2h runtime is correct, maybe just MAL adding this per default, but 13 eps are nearly 5h especially since they had that one longer episode in it. Might fit for 4h of recap.

But I would agree, seems kinda stupid considering they could simply air the original anime again and not wasting money on the recap movies.

oh and yes if the movies dont air early 2019 then the second season will most likely be airing 2020..
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Mar 20, 2018 6:15 PM
Jun 2017
Do they do this to promote the second season? I feel like the movies are kind of pointless to people who have watched the show. It’s basically just a re-run in theaters. Maybe they love going to the theaters over there?!
I wouldn’t mind watching it again on the big screen, but I feel like it just makes season 2 have a later release date.

This is a really strange Japan only process. Recap movies of a tv series make no sense at all...
Mar 24, 2018 2:34 PM
Feb 2017
You don't suppose they might make these recap movies... to make money? It's almost pure profit, and collectors will buy anything.

And yea, there HAS to be a season 2. They only animated volumes 1-3, and ended just BEFORE the pivotal battle. If I recall, the fight was all of volume 4.
Mar 26, 2018 10:07 AM
Feb 2009
If this is true, then they are going to have insane amount of budget to animate this on the same level as vol.1-3.
No wonder they prolonging season 2 airing and make movies as it is the most profitable form for popular and rising in popularity anime.
Mar 26, 2018 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
Whomper12 said:
Do they do this to promote the second season? I feel like the movies are kind of pointless to people who have watched the show. It’s basically just a re-run in theaters. Maybe they love going to the theaters over there?!
I wouldn’t mind watching it again on the big screen, but I feel like it just makes season 2 have a later release date.

This is a really strange Japan only process. Recap movies of a tv series make no sense at all...

Sure in a country that streams a lot of TV this is the case but in Japan streaming sites haven't really taken off. Recap movies give people who missed the season a chance to see it conveniently, people who don't want to spend money on all the bluerays that contain the season will be far more likely to buy a movie version. In some cases, recap movies end up being a more finished version, the version the studio would have liked to have aired if they had more time.

A prime example of great recap movies are the Madoka movies, which in my opinion are a far better experience than the TV show.
So don't grumble too much yet, these could be superior to the show and if they're not? they still line the pockets of the studios nicely, It's a win-win situation for both fans and creators.
Mar 27, 2018 7:10 PM
Aug 2016
Why did I get a message there was a 2nd movie released and season 2 is not out yet. I dont get it?

Absolutely loved s1. Cant wait.
Mar 27, 2018 7:49 PM

May 2017
I think they're probably doing recap movies to keep the franchise fresh in peoples minds while they build more source material for a second season.

Apr 7, 2018 2:07 PM
Jun 2017
Buu_Buu_Desuwa said:
Whomper12 said:

Sure in a country that streams a lot of TV this is the case but in Japan streaming sites haven't really taken off. Recap movies give people who missed the season a chance to see it conveniently, people who don't want to spend money on all the bluerays that contain the season will be far more likely to buy a movie version. In some cases, recap movies end up being a more finished version, the version the studio would have liked to have aired if they had more time.

A prime example of great recap movies are the Madoka movies, which in my opinion are a far better experience than the TV show.
So don't grumble too much yet, these could be superior to the show and if they're not? they still line the pockets of the studios nicely, It's a win-win situation for both fans and creators.

Well said! Thanks for the points that make it reasonable.
Apr 19, 2018 6:48 PM
Jun 2015
Just for those who haven't checked, if the recap movies are two hours each, then one hour from the show will need to be cut, this show (like Madoka) are perfect length for two recap movies. At best, these movies will be the definitive version of the first season, at worse, they'll be good recap movies to make the studio more money and good recaps to watch when S2 eventually comes out.
Feb 3, 2019 3:37 AM
☆A-Qing's hair☆

Jun 2008
Mugenhagen said:
Just for those who haven't checked, if the recap movies are two hours each, then one hour from the show will need to be cut, this show (like Madoka) are perfect length for two recap movies. At best, these movies will be the definitive version of the first season, at worse, they'll be good recap movies to make the studio more money and good recaps to watch when S2 eventually comes out.

Wait, what? 13 episodes x 25 minutes = 5 hours 25 minutes
And that includes OP, ED, and recaps/previews.

If the two recap movies are only 2 hours each then there will be an extra 1 hour 25 minutes...?

Even if we take out 5 minutes from each episode for repeated content like OP, ED, etc... (65 minutes)

that is still 4 hours 20 minutes total content. or 20 minutes extra.

So in reality the amount of lost content is very small.
quercifoliaFeb 3, 2019 9:52 AM

Feb 7, 2019 8:38 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
quercifolia said:
Mugenhagen said:

If the two recap movies are only 2 hours each then there will be an extra 1 hour 25 minutes...?

Even if we take out 5 minutes from each episode for repeated content like OP, ED, etc... (65 minutes)

Last episode, Episode 13, was a one-hour finale episode so make that around a 40-45 minutes extra to the tv series.

But yeah, you’re spot-on. It shouldn’t be too much amount of lost content, like you mentioned. Hopefully, we’ll have a few additional scenes too with some brilliant direction.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 20, 2019 8:15 PM
Aug 2016
Yeah, These are set to be 2 movies that are done as recaps with extra features and then near the end of this year we get the Bondrewd arc movie. Stoked overall for it
Jul 20, 2019 9:00 PM
Jan 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
quercifolia said:

Last episode, Episode 13, was a one-hour finale episode so make that around a 40-45 minutes extra to the tv series.

But yeah, you’re spot-on. It shouldn’t be too much amount of lost content, like you mentioned. Hopefully, we’ll have a few additional scenes too with some brilliant direction.
Uhh, one hour = 60 minutes, not 40 minutes.....sorry I had that OCD urge to correct you...

Also regarding loss of content to fit the movies into two hrs or less time, if you read one of the reviews, the reviewer mentions the loss was unacceptable to someone who has never seen the series before.
Jul 20, 2019 9:40 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
9112001 said:
Uhh, one hour = 60 minutes, not 40 minutes.....sorry I had that OCD urge to correct you...

Also regarding loss of content to fit the movies into two hrs or less time, if you read one of the reviews, the reviewer mentions the loss was unacceptable to someone who has never seen the series before.

It’s called a ‘one-hour special’ but they’re in reality usually 40-50 minutes, such as Shield Hero & Kanata no Astra Episode 1, and I think this was another such example.

Jul 21, 2019 5:18 AM
Jan 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
9112001 said:

It’s called a ‘one-hour special’ but they’re in reality usually 40-50 minutes, such as Shield Hero & Kanata no Astra Episode 1, and I think this was another such example.
...right....

Then they should really call it 40 minute special or 50 minute special respectively...... :/

In the other news, there's a third movie that apparently will take off where episode 13 dropped. Unless I'm mistaken and that's just a side story of another character or whatever, in which case I guess we still need to wait for a season 2 release.... Still might be a while if you're like me and prefer a local dub version....

Oh just realized someone's already mentioned that third movie....but still I'm psyched! that cliffhanger at the end wanted me to scope out more!
9112001Jul 21, 2019 5:47 AM
Jul 21, 2019 6:32 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
9112001 said:
...right....Then they should really call it 40 minute special or 50 minute special respectively...... :/

In the other news, there's a third movie that apparently will take off where episode 13 dropped. Unless I'm mistaken and that's just a side story of another character or whatever, in which case I guess we still need to wait for a season 2 release.... Still might be a while if you're like me and prefer a local dub version....

Oh just realized someone's already mentioned that third movie....but still I'm psyched! that cliffhanger at the end wanted me to scope out more!

I agree, but it probably adds up to an hour in television broadcasting thanks to advertisements in between certain transition(s).

Yeah, the third Movie will be a direct sequel to where Season 1’s finale ended off at. So whatever is next in line in the manga after events of the Season 1 is expected to be animated, I don’t know if that’s a side story or not though.

Jul 23, 2019 9:20 AM
Jan 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
9112001 said:
...right....Then they should really call it 40 minute special or 50 minute special respectively...... :/

I agree, but it probably adds up to an hour in television broadcasting thanks to advertisements in between certain transition(s).

Yeah, the third Movie will be a direct sequel to where Season 1’s finale ended off at. So whatever is next in line in the manga after events of the Season 1 is expected to be animated, I don’t know if that’s a side story or not though.
ah.....television broadcasts and their annoying commercials in between breaks....well I watched mine on a freshly bought bluray set and checked the time of the last episode and it's actually 48 minutes and something seconds....

Oh it's just gonna be a movie? No more episodic seasons? Well this movie better not be missing any details - I'll more than happy if it's a 5hr long movie straight if it helps flesh out the plot, and it better have nice 7.1 TrueHD or 7.1 Master Audio for that surround sound immersion! Unlike the first two compilations....that made it difficult for that newbie watcher to follow, from that review....
Jul 23, 2019 9:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
9112001 said:
ah.....television broadcasts and their annoying commercials in between breaks....well I watched mine on a freshly bought bluray set and checked the time of the last episode and it's actually 48 minutes and something seconds....

Right, there we go. Since it aired on television, they’ve to take into consideration the advertisements too. I don’t know if it’s the same in Japan as in here in China but these advertisements take up 15-20 minutes on each round and they’re often so infuriating.

9112001 said:
Oh it's just gonna be a movie? No more episodic seasons? Well this movie better not be missing any details - I'll more than happy if it's a 5hr long movie straight if it helps flesh out the plot, and it better have nice 7.1 TrueHD or 7.1 Master Audio for that surround sound immersion! Unlike the first two compilations....that made it difficult for that newbie watcher to follow, from that review....

Apparently so, maybe a tv season after this though who knows. As far as I’ve heard, there isn’t enough content for 5 hours lol but I’m down for that too. I’m sure it’ll have better audio quality (if the recaps were actually that bad). I haven’t watched the recaps so I can’t say this with certainty but it’s a big sequel project for Kinema Citrus do I doubt they’ll let the bad audio quality pass here.

Aug 4, 2019 7:46 AM
Apr 2016
The first season is available on Netflix (Switzerland). Either as German sub or dub. I hope that Netflix will buy the rights to stream the third movie because I rather watch it on Netflix than pirate it.
Sep 20, 2022 2:14 AM
Jan 2018
_MushiRock11_ said:
9112001 said:

Apparently so, maybe a tv season after this though who knows. As far as I’ve heard, there isn’t enough content for 5 hours lol but I’m down for that too. I’m sure it’ll have better audio quality (if the recaps were actually that bad). I haven’t watched the recaps so I can’t say this with certainty but it’s a big sequel project for Kinema Citrus do I doubt they’ll let the bad audio quality pass here.
How many chapters are they going per episode or movie? They could also just release one hr quality OVAs instead with each OVA taking two chapters per episode so it renders every scene and dialogue in the books without omitting anything else?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Made in Abyss Movie 2: Hourou Suru Tasogare Episode 1 Discussion

Farabeuf - Dec 5, 2019

22 by Matheus050 »»
Dec 9, 2023 6:47 PM

» This movie should have a Horror Tag

xKarosu - Jul 25, 2020

4 by xKarosu »»
Aug 3, 2022 2:00 PM

» why it just jump out to movie 2?

k4fourteen - Jul 29, 2021

4 by KoutaScofield »»
Jan 12, 2022 9:19 AM

» How can I watch it?

Pyoung - Jul 5, 2019

9 by CuteAssTiger »»
Sep 1, 2020 11:36 AM

» Discussion

Zero_JM3 - Mar 19, 2018

3 by removed-user »»
Feb 5, 2019 11:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.