Forum Settings
Forums

Anime Industry Grapples with Aftermath of Kyoto Animation Fire [Update 10/13]

New
Jul 19, 2019 4:05 PM

Jul 2009

The anime industry is struggling to cope with the human and material losses of Thursday's apparent arson attack on animation production company Kyoto Animation, which has killed at least 34 people. Investigators began inspecting the burned-out No. 1 Studio building on Friday, shortly after firefighters declared the fire completely extinguished at 6:20 a.m. local time.

In addition to the human loss, all of the studio's past animation drawings and production materials, including computers and electronic storage devices, were destroyed in the fire. "The monetary damage? It's enormous," said Kyoto Animation president Hideaki Hatta in an interview with Japanese media on Friday morning, following an inspection of the building. "We don't know the full details yet."

Police began permitting members of the media to approach the charred studio building for the first time on Friday, allowing a closer look at the aftermath of the fire. The Shukan Bunshun magazine published a photo showing an illustration which appears to have miraculously survived the blaze and is still pinned to a cork board.

Because anime production involves many staff members to create drawings and art, some in the industry worry that the losses will impact productions for years to come. "The production process gets very difficult even when one of the staff is missing. The entire studio burned down. It might be difficult to continue the animation production as it is now," said Mushi Production company director Toshiyuki Morii in an interview with the Asahi Shimbun newspaper. The company has previously contracted Kyoto Animation for animation work.

Film production company Shochiku, which distributes movies made by Kyoto Animation, is said to be considering postponing the release dates of the studio's upcoming releases. However, a Shochiku representative told the Sankei Shimbun newspaper on Thursday that the company's anime department is still "assessing the situation" and has not made any decisions at this time. Shochiku is currently expected to release Violet Evergarden Gaiden on September 6, Violet Evergarden Movie on January 10, and a new Free! movie later in 2020.

Kyoto Animation's most recent theatrical release, Free!: Road to the World - Yume, began screening on July 5. Many in Japan have made an effort to watch screenings of the movie as a show of support for the studio. Box office data show that one-day ticket sales on Thursday were up 27.1 percent compared to the same day last week, whereas one-day ticket sales on Friday were up 12.7 percent.

Public broadcaster NHK interviewed a woman in her 50s, who is a fan of the studio's works, after a screening in Shinjuku. "I made a reservation before the fire, so I never expected something like this would happen. I cried throughout the film and couldn't see the screen very well," she said. "When the staff credits began rolling in the end, I became very worried and hoped that they were all safe. Others were also crying."

Around the country, cities which were used as the setting of Kyoto Animation's anime titles demonstrated their solidarity in supporting rebuilding efforts. City officials in Ogaki, Gifu Prefecture, which was used as the setting of Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice), have set up a donation box, while Toyosato in Shiga Prefecture has set up flower stands at the former elementary school used in the K-On! anime. In Takayama, Gifu Prefecture, the city's head librarian credited the studio with increasing tourism through Hyouka.

When asked about the prospect of reopening the studio building, Hatta said, "We will think about it. First, we will take into account the feelings (of the remaining staff members), and then we will do our best according to everyone's determination." Regarding works currently in production, "We want to release them to the public while considering the feelings of the staff," Hatta asserted.

"I absolutely believe in the power of the staff," said the woman interviewed by NHK. "I don't want the company to disappear because of this incident."

Source: Sponichi Annex, Asahi Shimbun Digital 1, The Sankei News, NHK News, Asahi Shimbun Digital 2

Update October 13
Shinichi Isa, the leading representative of Japan's House of Representatives Finance Committee, posted on Twitter that Kyoto Animation will send all monetary donations to those who were affected from the July 2019 arson on Studio 1. None of the donations will be used to recover the studio's lost business operations.

In addition, the studio will host memorial services at the Miyakomesse center in Kyoto on November 3 and 4.

Source: Shinichi Isa on Twitter

News update submitted by Linerax
mta_pnFeb 17, 2022 5:34 PM
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 19, 2019 4:11 PM

Dec 2016
RIP to all the victims of this tragedy, I hope that other studios will invest in security and other measures that may prevent the spreading of fires.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jul 19, 2019 4:11 PM

Jan 2009
>In addition to the human loss, all of the studio's past animation drawings and production materials, including computers and electronic storage devices, were destroyed in the fire. "The monetary damage? It's enormous," said Kyoto Animation president Hideaki Hatta in an interview with Japanese media on Friday morning, following an inspection of the building. "We don't know the full details yet."

>Because anime production involves many staff members to create drawings and art, some in the industry worry that the losses will impact productions for years to come. "Production becomes difficult when even one staff member is missing. When an entire studio burns, it may be difficult to continue making animation as it is," said Mushi Production company director Toshiyuki Morii in an interview with the Asahi Shimbun newspaper. The company has previously contracted Kyoto Animation for animation work.

damn inb4 KyoAni is finished

but i still think they will recover as a studio
Jul 19, 2019 5:50 PM

Mar 2018
R.I.P to all the victims of this horrible tragedy.

Imo they should delay everything they have, they deserve a break and need to get themself together first. I love Kyoani and the people behind it so i hope they all sit back for now.

I pray for Kyoani's recovery. #PrayForKyoani
"As someone who deranked from Legendary Eagle to Gold Nova, i can really say that war is hell."
Jul 19, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
Seeing this event going through the course of 48 hours is rather devastating. They have lost nearly if not all their hard work and effort, as well as losing many of it's staff members... which is the biggest gut punch in the book. My condolences goes out to the family and friends, along with the members that have survived or are still recovering.

I'm not much of a big KyoAni fan myself, but I can respect their efforts and love towards their works even if I don't like some of them. They have showed that these series that they make are important to people, and those are done with care, thought, and with loads of emotion. That can never be replaced or be taken from them nor anyone.
Jul 19, 2019 5:59 PM

Aug 2016
R.I.P to all of the victims of the horrible tragedy.

KyoAni made so many great anime that I enjoyed very much. Clannad, chuunibyou, K-ON, Tamako Market, Kyoukai no Kanata, Violet Evergarden, Nichijou, Dragon Maid, etc. I really hope they will be able to stand up again and continue giving us wonderful masterpieces.

I also pray for KyoAni's full recovery.
Jul 19, 2019 6:00 PM

Mar 2012
I hope someone here post about many industry associate though and feeling about this matter as well as fan art for support.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 19, 2019 6:08 PM

Jul 2017
Wasn't it close to half of their staff that were impacted by this? If KyoAni does have to ultimately shut down what a shitty way that would be to lose one of the all-time greatest anime studio's.
Jul 19, 2019 6:09 PM

Nov 2008
The biggest problem isn't the materials but almost half of the staff was killed, it's going to be extremely difficult to replace them in this climate.

Jul 19, 2019 6:17 PM

Sep 2018
This is so utterly heartbreaking. May those 34 people who lost their lives rest in peace and a big thanks for all their hard work on previous projects.
I really hope this is not the end of the road for KyoAni. I just hope that they take their time to come to terms with this and someday bounce back. I want to see much, much more from them.
Jul 19, 2019 6:23 PM

May 2014
Hoppy said:
The biggest problem isn't the materials but almost half of the staff was killed, it's going to be extremely difficult to replace them in this climate.

That's not true.
The formal situation of the studio has worsened, but it is not in a deplorable state - the one by which it would be closed. The tragedy took place in the so-called "First Studio" of Kyoto Animation in the Fushimi district of Kyoto. Despite the name, it is not their headquarter. They also have a main office, as well as the so-called "Second Studio" in Uji. Therefore, there is a lot of probability that a few current projects may be very delayed or held for a while, but the overall activity will continue. The only question is who was responsible for what and how it will be presented qualitatively. It is worth mentioning that the studio in 2018 employed 154 people, 34 of whom were killed and another 30 were injured. Thus, the number of people who live is from all 75%. The studio is a company like any other company and already was time when somebody went away and sorted the staff, so it will certainly not be a problem now.

After all, condolences to families of victims, but also to the whole community.
BankaiGokuJul 19, 2019 6:26 PM
### ||| 私はアニメと日本文化が大好きです ||| ###"Kago-ni noru hito, katsugu hito, sono mata waraji-o tsukuru." ###
Jul 19, 2019 6:23 PM

Oct 2017

This beauty must not be allowed to die because of one mans hatred. We as fans and the anime industry as a whole must band together to rescue KyoAni. It is too important to lose.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 19, 2019 6:52 PM

Jul 2017
Stay strong you guys, i know that you can get through this.. I'm praying for your return, even if it takes a lot of time, the fans will still be here waiting for your marvelous works to be released to the world. Just don't give up hope! And once again, i'm sending my feelings to all of the victims and their families and everyone in the studio's staff.
Jul 19, 2019 7:05 PM

Mar 2012
tsubasalover said:
NeoAnkara said:
I hope someone here post about many industry associate though and feeling about this matter as well as fan art for support.
Not sure if these information are what you want:
More along something like this.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-07-19/animation-studios-fans-share-messages-of-hope-after-kyoto-animation-studio-arson/.149148
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 19, 2019 7:08 PM

Sep 2010
I have watched and love so many of the anime released from this studio....this is so freakin sad! RIP

Jul 19, 2019 7:36 PM

Oct 2018
at this moment It's difficult for me to watch any of kyoani's anime. it's a mixed feeling.

but what I'm sad more is the destruction of one of the best studio. from what I read from this article. it seems like it may take 2, 3 or more years for them to recover. would not be surprise if we would never see Kyoani anymore.

rip...
Jul 19, 2019 7:46 PM

May 2018
RIP to all the victims. I love Euphonium and Clannad.

Hopefully after this, the government make sure each office buildings has water sprinkle, perhaps it could have decrease the damage if water sprinkle installed.

TOKYO (Reuters) - The fire that tore through a building in Japan killing 33 people may have spread so fast not only because it was fueled by petrol but because it was funneled up a spiral staircase and there were no sprinklers to douse it, experts said on Friday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japan-fire-sprinklers/spiral-stairs-no-sprinklers-may-have-contributed-to-deadly-japan-fire-idUSKCN1UE0T4

Jul 19, 2019 7:55 PM
Jul 2017
It honestly hasn’t really hit me yet that this happened. It’s just so awful that I guess I can’t wrap my head around why someone would do this. Did I read that right? 34 dead!?! Jesus Christ my heart goes out to all those who died as well as their families and friends.
Jul 19, 2019 7:58 PM
May 2015
このたびはご愁傷さまでございます <3

R.I.P <3
Jul 19, 2019 8:00 PM
Aug 2016
It's hit our hearts, difficult moments for anime industry.
Rip to all the victims,
Our lord with you...
Jul 19, 2019 8:39 PM

Dec 2012
If there were no human victims I would say... "why couldn't it be JC staff instead?"

Rip to all affected, I wonder how will this affect them and what kind of materials were lost. Are we talking about whole shows and infrastructure?

I don't watch as much anime as before...
Jul 19, 2019 8:47 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Please, stay strong! Please, live! Please, fight! Please, come back!

Having KyoAni perish away like this is sure to leave a gaping hole in my heart because what they’ve done over the years is simply beyond the realms of simple words. I’ve continuously been looking through Twitter, ANN and here for more info hoping for good news but it just keeps getting worse every time. I still just can’t comprehend all this, this is insane and extremely heartbreaking. Seeing the little towns which their shows have helped in advancing forward is a great sight, just goes to show how important this Studio has been to the people!

Rest in Peace to those who’ve passed away, wishing you quick recoveries for those injured and my deepest condolences to the victims, their families and everyone affected by it. We’re thankful for all of your dedication throughout the years! It’s saved me for certain and many others too, I’m sure. As such, I’m willing to wait however long it takes but please come back! I plead the other fans to be patient too.

A big thank you to the firefighters and police officers for giving it their all too! Working continuously for long excruciating hours is no easy feat and I just want to say that I really appreciate their hard work and efforts!

#PrayForKyoAni
#WeLoveKyoAni
_MushiRock11_Jul 19, 2019 9:25 PM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 19, 2019 8:56 PM

Jan 2009
im seeing some comments about why they did not use cloud storage?

welp i got this observation (could be wrong) that japan is not that good with internet related technology stuff unlike USA for example like a lot of the websites i saw from them looks bad at least and also they maybe do not want to risk getting hack their cloud storage but ye they can also subscribe to amazon or google as cloud storage but maybe its too expensive for them to do that (although i do not know the pricing of cloud storage of amazon and google)
Jul 19, 2019 9:18 PM

Apr 2019
hopefully the death count does not continue to rise with all the severely injured people in the hospitals..

deg said:
im seeing some comments about why they did not use cloud storage?

welp i got this observation (could be wrong) that japan is not that good with internet related technology stuff unlike USA for example like a lot of the websites i saw from them looks bad at least and also they maybe do not want to risk getting hack their cloud storage but ye they can also subscribe to amazon or google as cloud storage but maybe its too expensive for them to do that (although i do not know the pricing of cloud storage of amazon and google)

maybe security reasons or whatever
but nonetheless even if,
they should have had backups in a 2nd location

in my country its standard for companies to back up their data physically in multiple data server locations for exactly reasons such as this

Hatta apparently plans to demolish the remains of Studio 1 and build a park with a monument in its place

https://twitter.com/ultimatemegax/status/1152424137731825664?s=21
Nim0174Jul 19, 2019 9:29 PM
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 19, 2019 9:37 PM
May 2018
I can't help, but feel that something like this was bound to happen in Japan, sooner, or later.

Putting murderer's own reason aside, it always seemed to me like people there are incredibly under stress because of system, and society in that country, and all they can do is just smile, and say everything is okay.

Jul 19, 2019 9:49 PM

Jan 2009
@Nim0174

yep i agree like they should have a backup on their other buildings at least
Jul 19, 2019 10:10 PM

Jan 2014
Considering the loss of life, materials, and the fact that they didn't have anything backed up, i'd say they're done for. Truly sad. RIP.
Jul 19, 2019 10:15 PM

Jan 2009
PA Works' President Horikawa Kenji’s speech at the company all-hands meeting on the second day after the Kyoani incident:

As many of you might have already known, an arsonist set Kyoto Animation on fire yesterday. Before the whole picture of the incident is investigated and revealed, we already know that 33 precious lives are lost, with many injured. Let’s pray for them.

This is absolutely the worst and the most terrible event in the history of anime industry. Sadness and fury took over the Internet and the news. I also tried to follow up with the updates, but the intense fluctuation of my emotions has made me mentally unstable. I thought I needed some time to calm down, yet knowing that my employees have also become swayed by the incident, I think I should (stand out now and) tell you all my thoughts at this moment. I cannot guarantee whether what I am going to say is calm, sane, or whether my thoughts are well tidied up or not.

Regarding the crime, though we don’t know much beyond what has happened as a matter of fact, the tragedy that happened was so devastating, and can never be recovered. I shall refrain from commenting (on the cruelty of the incident)

Regarding the precious lives that are lost, before these souls can fulfill their dreams, the fact that they died young was so regrettable, so upsetting, beyond anyone’s imagination. Nevertheless, they’ve left their proof of existence – look at the messages that fans from the world sent to them – “they were the hopes of my life”, “I became myself at the moment because of Kyoani”. They gave the fans who watched their works the power to live. The works that they produced wholeheartedly, and the proofs of their existence, shall never be forgotten. Let’s pray that it will resonate in people’s heart around the world, and forever become their drive to live.

Kyoto Animation spent 40 years only to eventually become the ideal form of anime production. With such long time effort, they possess the organizational power to unify the entire company towards one goal. I firmly believe that they will reconstruct and revive! I will pray for that. First, after the turmoil calms down a little bit, I think Mr. Hatta will demonstrate his strong leadership and plans. When that happens, we shall carefully consider how we can help them out.

News happen on a daily basis, washing off the tragedies to treat them only as one-time events. However, for us, despite living in the world that we live in having such ruthless and unreasonable incident, we need to think about how we can live strong, with hopes – this is the top priority that we need to take our time to think about – it is to devote your passion in your works and express it to the world; it is to create pieces to be talked about widely, generations by generations. I believe devoting our technics, our time, and our passion is the best way to achieve this. Please do not forget this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ceu2ns/kyoto_animation_fire_megathread/eu9rbi2/
Jul 19, 2019 11:14 PM

Oct 2013
Absolutely the most terrible event in the history of anime industry. #PrayForKyoAni
Jul 19, 2019 11:21 PM

Jan 2018
This is why I admire japanese people, they believe in each other so much that they are willing to overlook security issues. Looks like the trust is broken and I hope it doesn't breed hatred or strong distrust. Usually this would allow for a special documentary to be made but maybe after ten years have passed to avoid giving unnecessary attention to the killer.
Jul 19, 2019 11:31 PM

Jun 2011
Psajdak said:
I can't help, but feel that something like this was bound to happen in Japan, sooner, or later.

Putting murderer's own reason aside, it always seemed to me like people there are incredibly under stress because of system, and society in that country, and all they can do is just smile, and say everything is okay.

If you're just gonna virtue signal about how Japan is "oh so overworked" then you can fuck off to some other thread.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Jul 20, 2019 12:12 AM

Jun 2013
hazecloud said:
This is why I admire japanese people, they believe in each other so much that they are willing to overlook security issues. Looks like the trust is broken and I hope it doesn't breed hatred or strong distrust. Usually this would allow for a special documentary to be made but maybe after ten years have passed to avoid giving unnecessary attention to the killer.

Crime rate in Japan is quite low but when something does happens, it's quite shocking to say the least. Last major crime I can recall was the Sagamihara stabbings in 2016.
臭い-
Jul 20, 2019 1:01 AM

Mar 2013
I felt sad and helpless for Kyoto Studio. I hope they will be able to rebuild and produce more anime's in the future! Wishing my condolence will reach them :(
Jul 20, 2019 1:02 AM

Apr 2013
Sakata_geen said:
Why I didn't see any (terrorist) word ha. Or is this word works just for Muslims ha

Because the word 'arson/arsonist' is more accurate to this crime (related to fire)...
While 'terrorist' is also correct, but more to bombing or assaulting with guns etc...
Correct me if I'm wrong...
Jul 20, 2019 1:18 AM

Jan 2017
This tragic incident is getting worse day by day. The death count was 20 at the begining but it has risen to 33 now. Also, most of the KyoAni's precious work including some future projects has been lost too. Everyone knows that there is a huge workload on animators and many dont get paid well. Still they do their job out of sheer passion and love for anime. So it is very disheartening to hear that their works got destroyed like that. I dont know how those survived animators would cope with this trauma. It will take a huge amount of time in recovering, both mentally and emotionally. Our prayers are with them 🙏

And the families who lost their loved ones, please be strong! We all are with you.
Jul 20, 2019 3:01 AM

Nov 2007
Click my signature for information on how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal.

It will redirect you on how to purchase extra high resolution digital images from KyoAni Shop. All you need is a valid email address and a credit card to purchase the images worth only USD 2.00 each. This is the fastest way to send KyoAni the financial support without any third party involvement.

I have already purchased images from there on top of donating through the Sentai's GoFundMe. Personally I feel like purchasing from their store will help them faster than any other method (such as third party donations).

Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 20, 2019 4:03 AM

Aug 2015
This is so sad and really makes me so angry. If the previous news were true that this man doesn't have any relations to KyoAni at all and means that he just venting his anger there, i hope he get what he deserves.
This is undoubtedly the biggest blow in anime history so far, but I still hope that they manage to rise again. Because loosing them is even beyond my already rich imagination.

My biggest condolences to all the related people and families.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jul 20, 2019 4:05 AM
Dec 2009
shanimebib said:
Click my signature for information on how you may #HelpKyoAniHeal.

It will redirect you on how to purchase extra high resolution digital images from KyoAni Shop. All you need is a valid email address and a credit card to purchase the images worth only USD 2.00 each. This is the fastest way to send KyoAni the financial support without any third party involvement.

I have already purchased images from there on top of donating through the Sentai's GoFundMe. Personally I feel like purchasing from their store will help them faster than any other method (such as third party donations).

This is a good idea; I'll buy some.

Although I think that raising charitable funds also has the benefit of sending a message about how seriously we feel about helping KyoAni. An eye-catchingly large number of donations could also lead to positive media coverage in Japan and overseas, leading others to take notice of KyoAni and maybe to give them more help.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
LoveLikeBloodJul 21, 2019 12:57 PM
Jul 20, 2019 5:13 AM

Mar 2018
Does anybody know whether the industry will help in some way? I know that there is the gofundme but this is from a US distributor.
Jul 20, 2019 5:45 AM
a lil bean ✨

Feb 2011
"I don't want the company to disappear because of this incident."
... same, same. I'm worried as well for the trauma those involved will have.

HiScoreLoScoreAuction

Turn-InsAWCc

ᓚᘏᗢ

Jul 20, 2019 7:07 AM

Sep 2016
ご冥福をお祈りいたします
Jul 20, 2019 9:28 AM

Dec 2015
Kudi_Pie has explained it correct. The most important point of terrorism is to cause fear in the society as whole. (I. e. you not wanting to leave your home anymore cause you fear you might get killed. That's why they often attack public places.)

This wasn't the case here. Can be more compared to something the English language I think uses the term "spree killing". In Germany we use the work amok as in "run amok" as explained here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/run_amok#English

But that is more common for killings with a weapon where you really run around like crazy and out of control stabbing or shooting others.

With this level of planning the guy must have been still sane enough and controlled. (Not mentally ill and less guilty.) I think "mass murder" is enough to describe it. "Arson" describes the way he did it. (But - at least in my law system in my counrty - always the strongest offense is used to describe it and to determin the punishment. Like "murder in combination with arson" ... while "arson" only if no one gots killed.)
Jul 20, 2019 10:07 AM

Nov 2007
huntress1013 said:
Does anybody know whether the industry will help in some way? I know that there is the gofundme but this is from a US distributor.

P.A. Works have already suggested that they are going to help KyoAni.

Shinkai Makoto (Kimi no Nawa), who had said wonderful things about KyoAni's work in the past (particularly of Yamada Naoko's works) has shared his feelings - which may go a long way to bring the industry to show their support due to his stature in the industry (both in Japan and outside Japan).
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 20, 2019 10:12 AM

Mar 2018
shanimebib said:
huntress1013 said:

Shinkai Makoto (Kimi no Nawa), who had said wonderful things about KyoAni's work in the past (particularly of Yamada Naoko's works) has shared his feelings - which may go a long way to bring the industry to show their support due to his stature in the industry (both in Japan and outside Japan).

Thanks for the info. That is great to hear. I re-watched with my family "A Silent Voice" yesterday. It is really such a great movie and I do hope that Yamada Naoko is okay. I know that she was first listed missing but then taken off the list, which must mean that she is in the hospital. I hope it is just smoke inhalation and not the ICU.
Jul 20, 2019 11:03 AM

Aug 2012
Man, watching that ANN news video gave me a heartache...
Jul 20, 2019 11:27 AM

May 2012
shanimebib said:
huntress1013 said:

Thanks for the info
Jul 20, 2019 11:34 AM

May 2012
Kudi_Pie said:
Kouji_Akiyama13 said:

for me this is also terrorist act, because of the root of the "terror" word

but for a meaningless reason (who cares about your novel huh, dear someone who burned KyoAni last friday)

A lot of people say this, but it's a mistake.

A terrorist isn't trying to terrorise the people he's killing. He's terrorising the whole of society. The terrorist wants everyone to see what he's doing and he wants everyone to know why he did it, because it's all about making everyone else live in fear that they might be the next target. That's why they shout slogans and write manifestos online, and that's why the terrorist groups claim responsibility for the actions of their members (or even try to take credit for things that random killers do).

In some cases, the terrorist doesn't really care about who he's killing; for him, the violence is just a means to an end.

This guy didn't care about any of that, as far as we know. There wasn't any kind of bigger plan. He just wanted revenge against a certain group of people and he couldn't have cared less about how the rest of society saw his actions.

But make no mistake. He may not have been a terrorist, but he was just as evil.

Hhguf said:
In middle East most governments kill people more than armed groups
Who the terrorist in your think ??

When a government deliberately targets civilians with no obvious military objective, it's called a crime against humanity, and it's treated even more seriously than terrorism (if the perpetrator gets caught, which is admittedly quite rare).

Didn't the Arson sent death treat to the company before and during the event? in the news I read that he keeps talking about plagiarize stuffs and wield a kitchen knife

But yeah you're right, this might not as big as terrorist but still has some trait that could be led there
Jul 20, 2019 11:42 AM

Sep 2011
I hope to god that they are somehow able to stay afloat, this is an awful blow to the industry and a senseless loss of life and talent, regardless of what you think of their quality good or bad, theres no denying this is a company that has pretty much been a pillar of the industry and if they are just suddenly gone I don't think things will be the same again.

I just hope the survivors are able to find peace with the situation, I dont think anyone is going to criticize them for wanting to potentially leave this line of work after this, well im sure some assholes would bitch about projects being delayed or canceled but fuck them.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 20, 2019 11:49 AM

Dec 2013
Does anyone know whether the status of Yasuhiro Takemoto is still unconfirmed? You would think they should've been able to contact him by now... I'm worried.
Jul 20, 2019 11:56 AM
Dec 2009
Kouji_Akiyama13 said:

Didn't the Arson sent death treat to the company before and during the event? in the news I read that he keeps talking about plagiarize stuffs and wield a kitchen knife

Someone had been sending threats to the company, although I don't think there's any confirmation that it was the arsonist.

From what I've read, it's pretty common for people in the anime/idol industry to receive death threats from obsessive fans and very rare for anyone to act on those threats. I wouldn't be surprised if companies just ignored them most of the time.

Kouji_Akiyama13 said:
But yeah you're right, this might not as big as terrorist but still has some trait that could be led there

A lot of terrorists are people with extremely black-and-white views of the world, paranoid delusions and an obsessive sense of victimhood. In terms of personality traits, the arsonist might have had some things in common with terrorists, even if he wasn't one.

Perhaps if he had grown up in a different country, he might have joined some kind of militant extremist group.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

67 by Destinesia »»
2 minutes ago

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 8 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
5 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.