Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Jul 17, 2019 11:03 AM

Sep 2012
episode 4 coming out when?
Jul 17, 2019 11:48 AM
Feb 2019
Makuro said:
episode 4 coming out when?

It will be out on july 28th
Jul 17, 2019 12:45 PM

Oct 2017
CuteAssTiger said:
TolkienFan365 said:

As much as I like Eren he isn't actually that innovative he actually follows the MC of a Gundam plot pretty closely only change is after RTS where instead of having him like Amuro they make him into Char.

Haven't really seen gundam so I wouldn't know . But even if that's the case he is very different from most Characters we get and the way he is written is still pretty clever .
I especially like how Gabi is basically how Eren was when he was younger . Now people can't hate Gabi for what she is doing because everyone liked that when Eren was doing it xD

Fair but I think people focus too much on the idea that breaking tropes or attacking it makes a character or a story clever when it doesn't. In reality be subversive isn't hard to do. Executing it well though is a whole other story. I like Eren a lot as a character (as seen on my MAL page) but I just enjoy him as a very well executed trope of another kind. Actually using tropes well is another challenge really for any other writer just as is writing something that isn't common.
Jul 17, 2019 2:11 PM

Jan 2018
TolkienFan365 said:
CuteAssTiger said:

Haven't really seen gundam so I wouldn't know . But even if that's the case he is very different from most Characters we get and the way he is written is still pretty clever .
I especially like how Gabi is basically how Eren was when he was younger . Now people can't hate Gabi for what she is doing because everyone liked that when Eren was doing it xD

Fair but I think people focus too much on the idea that breaking tropes or attacking it makes a character or a story clever when it doesn't. In reality be subversive isn't hard to do. Executing it well though is a whole other story. I like Eren a lot as a character (as seen on my MAL page) but I just enjoy him as a very well executed trope of another kind. Actually using tropes well is another challenge really for any other writer just as is writing something that isn't common.

I think it's pretty well done thou .
Eren is rare.
Sure he does have the clear drive towards his goal like many MCs do but you rarely get characters that are driven by hatered like he is.
I mean he stabbed 2 people when he was like 9 or something.

And Manga Eren right now is just great
Jul 17, 2019 3:19 PM

Mar 2017
Are they cornered? Don't think so.
Jul 17, 2019 3:25 PM
Sep 2016
But where is Eren's evolution? his character is consistent with the ideals of the first chapter, indeed his path is almost boring ... he is literally the weakest part of the manga (a beautiful manga) but I don't read it for him
Jul 17, 2019 3:51 PM

Oct 2017
thekillfra said:
But where is Eren's evolution? his character is consistent with the ideals of the first chapter, indeed his path is almost boring ... he is literally the weakest part of the manga (a beautiful manga) but I don't read it for him

This is off topic since this is a Vinland thread but it less how his path is the same and rather his attitude towards going down that path which makes that slow development enjoyable. Also technically we actually don't know what that path is still

@CuteAssTiger

Again to compare Amuro and Eren both have their hometowns attacked and are given a secret weapon that could change the tide of the war by their educated father. While initially fighting for survival and a desire to return to peace they fall into a period of depression after the horrors of war scar them. They begin to understand and empathize with their opponents but still oppose them.

Character's paths are kinda the same the main difference is that Eren goes the path of Char (antagonist of the UC Gundam era for the most part) in terms of what he thinks is necessary to implement change.

I also wouldn't say Eren at this point in the manga is driven by hatred at all more frustration and misery. He never really actually hates anything past RTS in my eyes.

Still getting back to the thread yeah Thorfinn is pretty different than him in terms of where their character goes even during the more angry phase how they view the world and interact with people is different. Once you get past the angry phase yeah their characters both are incredibly different.
BilboBaggins365Jul 17, 2019 7:03 PM
Jul 17, 2019 4:13 PM
Sep 2016
Thorfinn in that phase is almost a secondary character, we all know that the true protagonist of the arc covered by this series is Askeladd, this is an incredible character(and now that I think about it I can also find similarities with Eren, even if the epic of their history is not comparable)
thekillfraJul 17, 2019 4:21 PM
Jul 17, 2019 4:22 PM

Jan 2018
thekillfra said:

So you don't see how a close minded Eren that sees the world in good guys and bad guys , black and white and nothing in between is different from Eren that goes to Reiner's homeland to start a war ?

You don't see an evolution in Eren ?
How he is willing to do the exact same thing Reiner did to him . The last time they saw each other before the timeskip Eren told him that he would grand him the most painful death and the next time Eren doesnt remember it and asks Reiner if he could present that didn't happen

Like honestly. If you don't see the change in Eren youve got to be blind
Jul 17, 2019 4:24 PM

Jan 2018
TolkienFan365 said:
thekillfra said:

This is off topic since this is a Vinland thread but it less how his path is the same and rather his attitude towards going down that path which that slow development enjoyable. Also technically we actually don't know what that path is still

@CuteAssTiger

Again to compare Amuro and Eren both have their hometowns attacked and are given a secret weapon that could change the tide of the war by their educated father. While initially fighting for survival and a desire to return to peace they fall into a period of depression after the horrors of war scar them. They begin to understand and empathize with their opponents but still oppose them.

Character's paths are kinda the same the main difference is that Eren goes the path of Char (antagonist of the UC Gundam era for the most part) in terms of what he thinks is necessary to implement change.

I also wouldn't say Eren at. this point in the manga is driven by hatred at all more frustration and misery. He never really actually hates anything past RTS in my eyes.

Still getting back to the thread yeah Thorfinn is pretty different than him in terms of where their character goes even during the more angry phase how they view the world and interact with people is different. Once you get past the angry phase yeah their characters both are incredibly different.

I didnt mean that Eren in the manga now is driven by hatred. Sry if it came across that way . But Eren in the beginning is a very untypical Character because of his hate . Usually main characters strive for justice or something glorious like that . But Eren os very different in that regard
Jul 17, 2019 4:27 PM

Jan 2018
CuteAssTiger said:
TolkienFan365 said:

This is off topic since this is a Vinland thread but it less how his path is the same and rather his attitude towards going down that path which that slow development enjoyable. Also technically we actually don't know what that path is still

@CuteAssTiger

I also wouldn't say Eren at. this point in the manga is driven by hatred at all more frustration and misery. He never really actually hates anything past RTS in my eyes.

I didnt mean that Eren in the manga now is driven by hatred. Sry if it came across that way . But Eren in the beginning is a very untypical Character because of his hate . Usually main characters strive for justice or something glorious like that . But Eren os very different in that regard

Btw I think you are getting me mixed with somebody else in this discussion. I didn't say that torfin is like Eren . I just came into the discussion pointing out that the way Eren ist written is pretty clever

Im looking forward to how thorfin turns out . I hope he doesn't evolve into a CG PS2 Model thou
Jul 17, 2019 4:48 PM
Sep 2016

Usually main characters strive for justice or something glorious like that .

If you read only Shonen maybe.

Jul 17, 2019 4:55 PM
Apr 2019
thekillfra said:

Usually main characters strive for justice or something glorious like that .

AoT is shonen, so i think its more fair to compare him with other shonen hero (though Eren S1 are much better than thorfinn prologue arc for me)
Jul 17, 2019 5:20 PM
Sep 2016

AoT is shonen, so i think its more fair to compare him with other shonen hero (though Eren S1 are much better than thorfinn prologue arc for me)

the Eren of the first series is really annoying, I would say that everyone has their tastes but at least thorfinn is silent and hardly ever speaks, as I have already said is almost a secondary character...

PS ... I can quote you Devilman or Ken , this AOT hype reminds me so much of games of trone ...

thekillfraJul 17, 2019 5:27 PM
Jul 17, 2019 5:28 PM
Apr 2019
thekillfra said:

the Eren of the first series is really annoying, I would say that everyone has their tastes but at least thorfinn is silent and hardly ever speaks, as I have already said is almost a secondary character...

PS ... I can quote you Devilman or Ken

Eren are better written on S1 than thorfinn, and yes thorfinn in still the main char, even though the story not always focus on him, just like Eren still the main char in S2
Jul 17, 2019 5:35 PM
May 2019
thors was badass af
Jul 17, 2019 5:49 PM
Sep 2016

Eren are better written on S1 than thorfinn, and yes thorfinn in still the main char, even though the story not always focus on him, just like Eren still the main char in S2

Ok Ok .....I'm pretty convinced you haven't even read Vinland
thekillfraJul 17, 2019 6:21 PM
Jul 17, 2019 5:58 PM
Apr 2019
thekillfra said:

Ok Ok , if you say so Mr S1, S2 .....I'm pretty convinced you haven't even read Vinland

What's wrong with talking S1,S2? Why you mocking me?
Jul 17, 2019 6:14 PM
Sep 2016

you discovered AOT with the anime then you continued with the manga , and you are a super fan, and I have nothing against it but pretend to have read Vinland for defending your manga it is not constructive, and I say it by not being a hater of AOT since I didn't give it 1 (7 and probably now for me it is also an 8).
Jul 17, 2019 6:32 PM
Apr 2019
thekillfra said:

you discovered AOT with the anime then you continued with the manga , and you are a super fan, and I have nothing against it but pretend to have read Vinland for defending your manga it is not constructive, and I say it by not being a hater of AOT since I didn't give it 1 (7 and probably now for me it is also an 8).

How can you said i never read vinland saga? I have read it months ago when i know Wit producer it and i hear good things about the manga. Should i prove it to you? Though i remember detail about prologue arc most compared to later arcs because i love the second part of that arc ,even more than any arcs on AoT
Jul 17, 2019 7:04 PM

Oct 2017
CuteAssTiger said:
TolkienFan365 said:

@CuteAssTiger

Well I guess as the main MC in an action shonen series I guess so.
Jul 18, 2019 1:57 AM

Jan 2018
mizuharaaya said:
thekillfra said:

Tbh I would not say aot is shonen .
It rejects and mocks pretty much every shonen troupe.
It's much more seinen then anything else
Jul 18, 2019 4:09 AM

May 2015
thorfinn in the prologue is a 1 dimensional character and his only dimension is askeladd,he is filled with rage and hatred,he doesn't care for anyone but askeladd,he is intentionally written like that,the whole point of the first arc is to show what will happen when that dimension breaks,all in the prologue is for thorfinn character development in future arcs,the prologue is more about death and loss,the rest is more about life and redemption.
Jul 18, 2019 6:40 AM

Jun 2017
Nice, he just used melee attack against that one ship, no need to even draw his sword lol.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jul 18, 2019 10:34 AM
Jul 2019
_chmpgnpaps said:
what do y'all mean by episode 3?
_chmpgnpaps said:
what do y'all mean by episode 3?
eles querem dizer episódio 2
Jul 18, 2019 10:07 PM
Oct 2017
CuteAssTiger said:
mizuharaaya said:

You don't have to follow shounen tropes (mainly applied to battle shounen published in Shounen Jump and sport series more than anything) to be shounen. There are plently other shounen series that don't follow those tropes and still are shounen. The Ancient Magus' Bride for example is a shounen even though some might mistaken it for shoujo. Beastars is a shounen, even though it tackles more mature issues and can be mistaken for seinen. It also doesn't follow shounen tropes (and airing next season btw, check it out). Attack on Titan is very much still a shounen. It is primarily aimed at male teenagers and young adult.

Having an MC being driven by hatred honestly isn't something that pushes it to a seinen, nor is it new. Just because it's not the same as some of the most popular of its genre doesn't mean it haven't been done before by the less popular series or something outside its specific niche. Neither is the MC growing up or changing perspective. That's just one of the most basic part of writing a good story or character.
Jul 19, 2019 2:45 AM

Jan 2018
Niello said:
CuteAssTiger said:

You don't have to follow shounen tropes (mainly applied to battle shounen published in Shounen Jump and sport series more than anything) to be shounen. There are plently other shounen series that don't follow those tropes and still are shounen. The Ancient Magus' Bride for example is a shounen even though some might mistaken it for shoujo. Beastars is a shounen, even though it tackles more mature issues and can be mistaken for seinen. It also doesn't follow shounen tropes (and airing next season btw, check it out). Attack on Titan is very much still a shounen. It is primarily aimed at male teenagers and young adult.

Having an MC being driven by hatred honestly isn't something that pushes it to a seinen, nor is it new. Just because it's not the same as some of the most popular of its genre doesn't mean it haven't been done before by the less popular series or something outside its specific niche. Neither is the MC growing up or changing perspective. That's just one of the most basic part of writing a good story or character.

What is your criteria for something being shonen then ?
Because I would put the ancient Magus bride into more of a shoujo category as well ( althou I think this one is more tricky as it doesn't specifically aim for a Yong female audience

Also it's not just Eren being so hateful .
Everything about aot is not very shonen.
I would also say it targets a more mature audience.
And if we want to nippick then nothing is truly new or original .
Yet Eren is still rare and we'll executed and I think this is something we should compliment the author for

And I guess this conversation will now slip into the definition of what's shonen and whenever it's a genre or a demographic so I want to address these points beforehand
-doesnt really matter if it's a genre or not . People still use it as one and either way it functions much in the same way
-people have various age ranges they attach to the shonen democratic. Some say 7-13 . Some say 11-18 .ect
Whatever the case may be I think it's important to look at how it's actually applyd and from that I would say shonen are generally anime that are either for children or very child friendly.
Everybody can enjoy Dragonball and one piece (nothing wrong with that) but these are basically anime for children aka shonen

If we span the the democratic of shonen to include young adults then the term loses all its meaning because the interests of 11 year olds are very different from the interests of 18 year old

And aot just doesn't seem like a story that targets kids.
I do think that teenagers can certainly enjoy and understand aot. I think young people can handle much more serious story's then people give them credit for but I still don't think that children are the audience that isayama is going for

Sry for this much text.
Btw is there a way that lets me address a specific comment or person without quoting everything they said before ?
I haven't really used the discussion part of MAL before .
CuteAssTigerJul 19, 2019 2:59 AM
Jul 19, 2019 4:45 AM

May 2018
Wow, didn't expect anything from this anime at first since I don't know about this. But the first 3 episodes is really good, the OP and ED are good. Overall it was good. Finally I can enjoy something this season.

Jul 19, 2019 5:34 AM

Jul 2014
Should have known that Thorfinn would smuggle himself onto the ships, but I could have done without seeing his punishment or him pissing off the side of the ship. That aside, the tension here is palpable, and I'm curious to see how the fight between Thors and Bjorn goes next week.
Jul 19, 2019 3:33 PM

Nov 2018
Atavistic said:
Should have known that Thorfinn would smuggle himself onto the ships, but I could have done without seeing his punishment or him pissing off the side of the ship. That aside, the tension here is palpable, and I'm curious to see how the fight between Thors and Bjorn goes next week.

Both of those scenes shows 1- How Thors cares for his son, after seeing the enthusiasm on his face and 2-to show that he still got punished by doing that.

Also, whats the problem in seeing a child's butt for a split second? clearly you never watched dragon ball.
Jul 20, 2019 8:21 AM

Jan 2019
This anime feels like a breath of fresh air, like it's giving me legit movie vibes. Heck, and I've even read the manga beyond this point.
Sasuga, Wit.
P.S. Deserves a higher score right now, in my opinion.
Jul 20, 2019 10:35 AM

Oct 2013
@Niello

@CuteAssTiger

Please stop using the shounen or seinen tag as like a boundary where if a series is publish in a shounen magazine then it can't be aimed towards a older audience and that the author limited in what type of story he can tell base of the magazine he is in, if snk would be transfer to a seinen magazine would you now accept it as a mature series? Did you know that Vinland saga was first publish in a shounen magazine then later on transfer into a seinen magazine?

Also you need to take a look at the type of series in the seinen magazine and you will realise snk is 10 more mature complex than a lot of those series and btw not every series in the seinen magazine is berserk/monster level of mature.

Here you go take a look at these seinen series and you will realize not every series is mature in this magazine, https://myanimelist.net/manga/genre/41/Seinen

Guys point, talk about the quality of series writing and stop bringing up shounen and seinen in the conversation as if there is some barrier that prevents a series from being mature or not depending on it's magazine.

Yes you have a higher chance to find a mature series in a seinen magazine than a shounen magazine, there are some mature series in a shounen magazine and there are some immature series in a seinen magazine that could easily be into a shounen magazine. A lot of the series in the seinen magazine are in it simple because of the fire and not for its mature complex writing, elfin lied is an example.
keragammingJul 20, 2019 10:43 AM
Jul 20, 2019 10:51 AM

Jan 2018
keragamming said:
@Niello

@CuteAssTiger

Please stop using the shounen or seinen tag as like a boundary where if a series is publish in a shounen magazine then it can't be aimed towards a older audience and that the author limited in what type of story he can tell base of the magazine he is in, if snk would be transfer to a seinen magazine would you now accept it as a mature series? Did you know that Vinland saga was first publish in a shounen magazine then later on transfer into a seinen magazine?

Also you need to take a look at the type of series in the seinen magazine and you will realise snk is 10 more mature complex than a lot of those series and btw not every series in the seinen magazine is berserk/monster level of mature.

Here you go take a look at these seinen series and you will realize not every series is mature in this magazine, https://myanimelist.net/manga/genre/41/Seinen

Guys point, talk about the quality of series writing and stop bringing up shounen and seinen in the conversation as if there is some barrier that prevents a series from being mature or not depending on it's magazine.

Yes you have a higher chance to find a mature series in a seinen magazine than a shounen magazine, there are some mature series in a shounen magazine and there are some immature series in a seinen magazine that could easily be into a shounen magazine. A lot of the series in the seinen magazine are in it simple because of the fire and not for its mature complex writing, elfin lied is an example.

A publication doest determine that anyways.
A magazine can publish whatever they want .
So just because it focuses more on one genre/demographic doesn't mean everything in this magazine is that
Jul 20, 2019 11:10 AM

Oct 2013
CuteAssTiger said:
keragamming said:
@Niello

@CuteAssTiger

A publication doest determine that anyways.
A magazine can publish whatever they want .
So just because it focuses more on one genre/demographic doesn't mean everything in this magazine is that

That is what I am saying, though you will find more darker gorier series/ not necessarily more mature series in the seinen magazine than the shounen magazine, but as I have said before it would make more sense to exclude saying shounen or seinen in the argument, and my post was more aimed towards the other user not you, I just included you since you are apart of the conversation.
Jul 20, 2019 5:03 PM
Jan 2018
if i'm guessing right the anime will adapt until the end of the war, so around chapter 53 or smthg
Jul 20, 2019 7:52 PM

Oct 2013
Another great episode. Each time I start watching "Vinland Saga", I just sink into the marvelous atmosphere of this show.

I have a bad feelings that Thorfinn's dad might not come out alive from this fight. If not in melee combat, he will fall under the arrows. Let's not forget these guys who pushed down the rubble might be waiting on cliffs for a good opportunity to start shooting.

I hope it won't happen, though. But situation does not look positive for Thors, Leif and everyone on the board.

By the way, the pissing scene was funny, but later Thorfinn's reaction after seeing the ocean was priceless. I like how we had a transition of funny elements into some serious, yet still positive, ones.
Jul 20, 2019 9:48 PM

Mar 2018
wish they would slow up a little. good tho
{\_/}
(•~•)

{\_/}
( •-•)

{\_/}
( – _ -)
Jul 21, 2019 6:24 AM

Feb 2018
After hearing about how good VS is and how it's most likely AOTY , i came in with high expectations , so far i'm more than satisfied , i have no complaints , and hopefully it keeps exceeding my expectations .
Good thing i watched 1 ep per week unlike most others .

Adnash93 said:

By the way, the pissing scene was funny, but later Thorfinn's reaction after seeing the ocean was priceless. I like how we had a transition of funny elements into some serious, yet still positive, ones.

Yup and the OST made the scene 10 times better .
Jul 21, 2019 8:16 AM

Jul 2017
5/5

So satisfied with the anime adaptation so far. Thank you, WIT studio!

smell of coffee
songs of sleep

Jul 21, 2019 9:18 AM

Oct 2013
BourBon-7so said:
Yup and the OST made the scene 10 times better .

Exactly. What is also great about this anime is the fact that many of its elements perfectly correspond with each other. Music with art, art with music and so on. It gives us a great final effect.
Jul 21, 2019 2:34 PM

May 2016
First 3 ep was literally perfect, in almost every elements. My only complaint is the CGI, which was a bit weird sometimes when they were sailing on the sea.

The story is very generic so far, but I'm eager to see where the story will develop. First 3 eps made me remember to the very first episodes of Game of Thrones. Thors=Ned Stark xD

But I have to say that the last time I felt the same feeling after 3 eps was when I watched Steins;Gate. Vinland Saga is definitely a candidate for a 10/10, but the route to its 10/10 will be long and difficult :D
-
Jul 21, 2019 7:43 PM

Jan 2011
all caught up for next week baby, this arc has been good just surprised it hasn't ended yet felt like the first chapters of the manga were a lie but again it's simply them doing a prologue.

with how GoT like these episodes have felt i just couldn't shake that unsettling feeling of all of this going real bad how else will it explain Thorfinn's older phase of anger
Jul 22, 2019 10:23 PM

Jun 2013
Finally caught up with this. I'm glad I spaced it out as much as I could. Now I can eagerly wait for the 4th episode this Sunday (Asian time).

The animation in the Anime is amazing. Great OP and ED. I remember the art in the manga being somewhat rough in the beginning (but still really good), like with most manga but it improves a lot later.

I'm anxious for what's coming next.
臭い-
Jul 23, 2019 9:11 PM

Apr 2018
4 more days. Boys we almost there, the 4th episode. Prepare yourself for the FEELS.
Jul 26, 2019 11:41 AM

Jul 2015
Im done with this show if Thors dies
Jul 26, 2019 9:22 PM
Oct 2017
Maitreyi said:

Don't. You will miss Askeladd.
Jul 27, 2019 12:41 AM

Jan 2017
Maitreyi said:

Are you serious? this isn't his story lol. that's like dropping GoT because Ned died in the first season
Jul 27, 2019 5:27 AM

Jan 2019
Maitreyi said:

Lmao, completely forgetting the point of the story.
Jul 27, 2019 8:24 AM
Jul 2019
Everyone join this Vinland Saga Amino to discuss events that occur in the anime or manga! http://aminoapps.com/c/Vinland
Jul 27, 2019 5:16 PM

May 2014
So how many more years before episode 4 drops?
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by Herrior »»
Apr 23, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

795 by Lawgun »»
Apr 23, 3:43 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.