Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 19, 2019 11:59 AM

May 2019
There are lots of unpopular opinion threads out there, but I'm wondering if some people on this site like anime that is widely hated, or just generally disliked. I would share an anime of mine but the "hate" that they get is actually pretty small when I look back at it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 19, 2019 12:02 PM
Oct 2017
my favourite anime that nobody likes except me will probably have to be starbucks
Jul 19, 2019 12:08 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
pretty much 1/2 of my favorites list

at least it feels that way
Jul 19, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2018
School Days is hated by quite a lot of people.. Some people found it ok or enjoyable, though.. I myself really loved it much.. Played the shit out of the visual novel - School Days HQ, I mean.. As I'm used to visual novels myself, I am personally ok with the thing that work can have some bad endings, it's not a problem for me.. Also about characters acting like not the best persons or making mistakes - also the thing that I consider to be matter of preference.. Sometimes you like characters who make mistakes, sometimes - not..
Jul 19, 2019 12:27 PM

Jul 2019
Sword Art Online gets a lot of hate but I actually really like it. (1 and 2, haven’t watched Alicization)
Jul 19, 2019 12:32 PM

Jul 2017
Evil or Live. I actually liked that show, but almost everyone who watched it (it isn't well known at all) hates it.
Jul 19, 2019 12:35 PM

Jul 2017
300IQ play says School Days is going to be a popular answer

bitchassdarius said:
my favourite anime that nobody likes except me will probably have to be starbucks

ew that anime is so bad how could you even like that shit smh
Jul 19, 2019 12:51 PM
Dec 2013
Akame ga Kill and Btooom are widely hated, but I enjoyed them.
Jul 19, 2019 12:53 PM

May 2017
There’s plenty, but I would have to go with Haruhi Suzumiya. It sometimes gets some unfair hate.
Jul 19, 2019 12:55 PM

Sep 2018
I like Berserk 2016, but it is widely hated for it being 3d.
Jul 19, 2019 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
I've never seen HenSemi being liked the same way I do.

Most won't like it for the heavy fetishes, which might be disgusting, and even the few I've seen who do only like it as a comedy.

While I do admit it could've done more, that show had a psychological viewpoint on fetishes that can't be found anywhere else, it really was great for me.
Jul 19, 2019 12:57 PM

May 2016
Happy Sugar Life
In fact, my personality is almost the same as Sato's
#PrayForKyoAni
Jul 19, 2019 1:06 PM
Feb 2019
Gendolfas said:
School Days is hated by quite a lot of people.. Some people found it ok or enjoyable, though.. I myself really loved it much.. Played the shit out of the visual novel - School Days HQ, I mean.. As I'm used to visual novels myself, I am personally ok with the thing that work can have some bad endings, it's not a problem for me.. Also about characters acting like not the best persons or making mistakes - also the thing that I consider to be matter of preference.. Sometimes you like characters who make mistakes, sometimes - not..

I second this! I also liked School Days but I was rather baffled as to why so many people did not like it. But like you said, it is a matter of preference, and I personally greatly enjoy stories where the main character makes (huge) mistakes. Stories such as School Days imo tell such a good cautionary tale of what a person should not be like. And to me it is a good thing if you get to experience the "bad guy's" side. I do not mean the big bad villains but just people who are generally assholes or in School Days case, doormats. Not every protagonist has to be good and likeable in order to tell a good story, and not every good story has a happy ending, either, because guess what, life does not always go the way you want it to.
Jul 19, 2019 2:31 PM

Jul 2016
Don't think it's particularly disliked, but I'm surprised Gatchaman Crowds isn't more popular than it is. That show is awesome.

Also .hack//SIGN, everyone seems to think it's boring, but I love it
Jul 19, 2019 2:40 PM
Apr 2016
R-15
Taboo tattoo
Masamune kun no revenge
Juuni Taisen
Jul 19, 2019 2:42 PM

Jan 2017
Island
Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
Jul 19, 2019 2:50 PM
May 2017
i thought Hanoka wasn't that bad

i enjoyed the Price of Smiles, even if i found the ending a bit rushed
Jul 19, 2019 3:05 PM

Dec 2016
Dragon Ball GT and Digimon Adventure 02 are generally disliked sequels by the fans, and while I do agree that they are mediocre and left a lot to be desired, I still have fondness towards them.
Jul 19, 2019 4:13 PM

Apr 2018
Rosario + Vampire gets a lot of hate 'cause it stopped following the manga at some point but, while i can understand the frustration the manga readers might feel, i still thought it was a fun, entertaining show.

Though i admit i'm slightly biased 'cause it was the first ecchi/harem comedy anime i ever saw.
Stygian_PrisonerJul 19, 2019 9:04 PM
Jul 19, 2019 4:31 PM
May 2019
All anime that I like other people like as well so I'll pass I guess.
Jul 19, 2019 4:59 PM
Mar 2019
Boku no Pico, just kidding,

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei
Jul 19, 2019 5:20 PM

Oct 2017
I just finished Shield Hero and thought it was pretty good. 7/10.

Looked good, sounded good, interesting premise and plot. Characters lacked a little depth but not too bad.

Biggest problem was inconsistency in the quality of the writing. Started off great, dipped hard when, for a few episodes, Motoyasu and Myne started to get reminiscent of Team Rocket, picked up again for the second wave and then Raphtalia's backstory / development, then kind of lost it's way again before ending pretty well.

There are other valid criticisms for it, I'm sure, but the amount of hate it gets is really staggering. It's not the 1/10 trashfire so many people seem to think it is. I followed the first half weekly and had to stop reading the discussion threads on r/anime (back when I still went to r/anime at all...) because the toxicity levels went through the roof.

Some people only watch shows to be able to shit on them. Sad.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 19, 2019 5:23 PM
Mar 2018
One of my favorite comedy series of all time is Seitokai Yakuindomo
And it was a suprise not a lot of people know it or even like it.
Amelia Watson: Hololive EN Greatest Detective!
Jul 19, 2019 5:42 PM

Jun 2019
T3N5H1 said:
Happy Sugar Life
In fact, my personality is almost the same as Sato's

Just wanted to say watching this now. Started it yesterday, probably finishing it tonight, and enjoying it immensely. I love the fact that it straps you in for a ride with Satou and doesn't let go or soften the journey. Feels like a nice and long, but much higher quality animated Lifetime drama movie. Such a nice balance of beauty and misery and how both can intertwine, both being like a drug, and doing vicious things to protect your source of happiness.

Underrated, but it's bound to turn a lot of people off because of the subject matter.
WatchTillTandavaJul 19, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 19, 2019 5:49 PM

Apr 2017
KamijouToumaIB said:
Island
Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.

Island was pretty cool indeed. I liked it since when it aired I started to make theories with my friend. The ending wasn't the best but it was a cool anime.
Jul 19, 2019 5:58 PM

Sep 2014
IDK about 'everyone' because this is just never the case, but from the shows I have mostly or only heard negative opinions about I like:

Tenjou Tenge was pretty damn cool. I hear it doesn't do the source justice, but I believe it had cool fights and unique atmosphere, I also really liked the main cast. Also the opening is top tier. BOMB A HEAD.

Valvrave was so crazy and entertaining I just can't dislike it. Sure, it was questionable at times and seems stupid, but it definitely knew how to keep the audience occupied, the pacing was excellent.

Manyuu Hikenchou was well... It was what it was, but it was fun and funny, IMO. And the whole idea is so hilarious. I liked it.

Jul 19, 2019 6:00 PM

Jun 2016
Sword Art Online, except the 3rd season (Alicization) which I consider as the worst part
Jul 19, 2019 6:06 PM

May 2018
It's obviously SAO isn't it! That being said I've made like 10 friends through a mutual love for SAO, and that brings me on to what I'm going to say next:

Even though I have 106 MAL friends, I've only had one conversation about Log Horizon since I joined MAL over a year ago - where the hell are all the fans, it's such a good show! Perhaps, if it ever makes a return, they'll all come crawling out the woodwork!

Also, I've stated on my profile that I'm really loving the US animation The Dragon Prince at the moment, but no-one wants to talk to me about that either it seems! Some of these Weebs don't know what they're missing out on :D

Jul 19, 2019 6:08 PM

May 2018
Edocchi said:
Sword Art Online, except the 3rd season (Alicization) which I consider as the worst part

I feel the same - in descending order: SAO 1 > SAO 2 > Ordinal Scale > Alicization
Jul 19, 2019 6:39 PM
Jun 2015
I'm actually liking Granbelm this season. The characters are interesting and remind me of the ones in Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight, magical girl mecha is a pretty interesting concept, Masaharu Watanabe (the director of Re:Zero) is directing it, and Jukki Hanada (one of my favorite script writers who did series composition for Hibike! Euphonium, Hitoribocchi no Marumaru Seikatsu, Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!, Nichijou, Steins;Gate, Yagate Kimi ni Naru and Sora yori mo Tooi Basho) is doing the series composition for it as well. Also, I think the animation looks good so far. It looks like a lot of people dropped already, though.
Jul 19, 2019 7:05 PM

Jan 2009
the Mecha and 3DCG anime in general lol
Jul 19, 2019 8:06 PM

Jul 2019
So like when I started watching anime, anything that'd get me hyped up I'd instantly like and easily put on a pedestal, considering I didn't have much let's say "emotional exposition" through entertainment (books, tv series, movies). Actually I did have a lot, but less in the "adrenaline/hype" department, and usually that emotional exposition would make me totally immersed into the entertainment (anime, in this case) and I wouldn't realize the problems with it. This is what happened with me when I watched Mirai Nikki already a year and a half ago when I didn't have much experience with anime. I wouldn't mind all the plot holes and stupidity of it's character as long as it kept me wildy interested and thrilled to see what would happen next. I remember like a month after finishing the series (which was my favorite at the time, like every show I'd be watching at the time lol) I saw reviews of it explaining everything that was bad about it and it totally made sense but I couldn't just decide to stop liking it just because if I watched it with a different perspective I'd consider it bad, the emotions I've felt while watching the show were true and not erasable. So now I just now it's not as good as I thought it was, but don't want to confess it's bad nor rewatch it because I'm sure that I'd be totally blasted by the stupidity of some of the things mentionned in the reviews of it. Also saying Mirai Nikki is bad just because MC is a whining bitch isn't valid criticism, imagine if I said X show is bad because MC is cheerful and can deal with the shits that happen to him properly. Not trying to brag or anything like that but like it makes years I haven't cried, last time being after finishing Firewing (great book trilogy) already 4 years ago (I'm 16), and having some problems in personal life + some kind of existentialism crisis (wonder if anyone had one when they were young) I'd usually cry myslef to sleep for a solid two years. So i feel like because of this anything relying on it's sadness doesn't hit me (examples: Anohana, Our happy hours, Silent Voice). This emotional exposition concept, I feel like, hasn't been touched a lot in some people, making them give automatically good scores in sad stories that makes them cry. At the end of the day, it's good for them if they were touched by something, and it made them like it more because a thing we don't have to forget is entertainment is entertainment, it can be art but what it is first and foremost is entertainment and even though something might be complete trash without it's emotional investment, the more people are happy with an entertainment the better.

Highly went off topic, but I like expressing myself with those kind of chunks of texts. Hope it makes sense and I'm not saying some high level shitpost, also those concept thingies aren't absolute truths, I just feel like they are concepts that are appliable in real life.
Jul 19, 2019 8:57 PM

Nov 2017
Stygian_Prisoner said:
Rosario + Vampire gets a lot of hate 'cause it stopped following the manga at some point

its not just because it has filler, its because nearly all of season 2 is filler.
Jul 19, 2019 9:17 PM
Dec 2017
King's Game
Diabolik Lovers
Fairy Tail (Admittedly, there's lots of love for this anime but there's also lots of hate.)
Dragon Ball GT
Jul 19, 2019 9:22 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
A personal childhood favorite of mine is Bottle Fairy.
Not many people actually know this anime, but the people who do don't seem to like it too much... especially based on what I've seen from MAL reviews...
Jul 19, 2019 10:22 PM

Feb 2016
in a world where shounen reign supreme i'd say Yuru Yuri
get big flames for this favorite but catch this fade irl real quick
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 20, 2019 12:00 AM

Aug 2017
Sword Art Online is better than ur generic isekai, ur generic SOL, ur generic seasonal shounen.

And Shield Hero is one the best isekai since Re Zero and Konosuba.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 20, 2019 12:05 AM

Jan 2018
I couldn't think of an answer because the hate or dislike never felt like "everyone". Probably Bleach, but the anime ending made me thonking as well.
Jul 20, 2019 12:15 AM

May 2013
police squad v underrated v masterful
Jul 20, 2019 12:47 AM
Jul 2018
Ajin. People hate it for the bad CGI but I really enjoyed the show.
Jul 20, 2019 12:56 AM

Nov 2013
Gendolfas said:

^^^
Unlike all these generic LN adaptation / mass produced plot about op characters, school days actually managed to make me interested in the story. Just because the content is disagreeable, that doesn't make the show itself bad, and this is what most people can't look past.

The suspense in the drama throughout the show made me stay interested and the plot twists made me want to see more. While not my favorite anime of all time, I do think it is heavily underrated by others.
WHEN IT RAINS, IT POURS.
Jul 20, 2019 8:31 PM

Feb 2017
An anime that recently gets a lot of hate and rejection, and in it's time had a lot of attention: Lucky Star. it's not the best anime ever, but it's not so bad.
Other case should be Himouto Umaru-chan (I get it because she was always f****** her brother's life, but it has it's moments, even in the second season...)

Other was the 2nd season of One Punch Man. i saw a lot of people bitching around because this season would be animated by another studio, but I didn't see any difference or quality dropping, (maybe in the dynamic movements, but that's just minor problem) I enjoyed it too, like the first season.
We are EVERYWHERE...
Jul 20, 2019 8:36 PM
Jul 2016
Steins;Gate. For some reason, most of my friends don't like Steins;Gate and think it's boring.
Jul 20, 2019 8:39 PM

May 2019
tison98 said:
Steins;Gate. For some reason, most of my friends don't like Steins;Gate and think it's boring.

Really? That's got to be the most surprising entry on here, since the anime has such a high rating.
Jul 20, 2019 8:58 PM

Apr 2019
Some people didnt understand the point of this thread, I think, they are not pickin real bad shows.

To make you understand I ll say my pick:

Nagasarete Airantou.

Probably anyone have heard anything about that show. lol
Jul 22, 2019 3:26 PM

Jul 2013
While taking in mind that every work of fiction has its detractors, no matter how popular or well-regarded may be, I pick Mayoiga. I think it is one of the few of my favorite anime that is generally hated by everyone. While I can understand why most people dislike it and I get that it has a lot of flaws, I can’t help but love it with all my heart, both as a comedic trainwreck and as a story of confronting your past tragedies. I also like other anime who are regarded as disasters by the general audience, such as Ousama Game, Mahou Shoujo Site or Kämpfer, but I’m especially fond of Mayoiga, so that’s what I pick it.
Jul 22, 2019 3:37 PM
Feb 2017
School Days definitely a top 10 Romance of all time but everyone hates it lol
Jul 22, 2019 3:41 PM
Jan 2019
Gendolfas said:

School Days HQ is great and Makoto also is a great character but for some reason everyone hates him
Jul 22, 2019 4:01 PM

Jan 2018
completely expected but so true for me: SCHOOL DAYS! loved it!
You can make me grow old, but you can never make me grow up!
Jul 22, 2019 5:21 PM

Apr 2017
This is kinda ambiguous but Fairy Tail. A lot of newcomers love it while anyone whos seen beyond 100 tend to know its bad and often hate it. It was one of my first shows so yeah
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

34 by Shirayukin »»
37 seconds ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

66 by EastIndiaCompany »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

40 by Nemo_Niemand »»
9 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

12 by ShatteredSans »»
11 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

46 by Nemo_Niemand »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.