Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 18, 2019 7:15 AM
Jul 2015
Hey i am from anilist and there is possible to rate an anime 8,1 8,2 8,3 and here i can only give it a 1 2 3 4 so is there an option how can i rate it more accurate? because myanimelist looks a lot better.
Jul 18, 2019 7:17 AM

Mar 2019
Nope, the rating system on this website is by general consensus to be extremely gay for this reason and lacks granularity.

Whole numbers are all there is.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 18, 2019 7:52 AM
Jul 2015
Wow thats really sad because i think its better if anyone can vote more accurate and not all my top anime are 10 stars
Jul 18, 2019 7:58 AM

Feb 2019
They should really add 0.5 ratings in between the whole numbers.
Jul 18, 2019 8:01 AM
Jul 2015
wow so whats the advantages from myanimelist over anilist?
Jul 18, 2019 8:06 AM
Jul 2015
Mirdita said:
Pragyan1 said:
They should really add 0.5 ratings in between the whole numbers.
Nashy said:
Wow thats really sad because i think its better if anyone can vote more accurate and not all my top anime are 10 stars
Anilist from what i recall, has 5 different rating system which is super cool. I really wish we had a similar stuff in here as well. That'd be awesome.

so your thinking anilist is better? Because i dont know what to use
Jul 18, 2019 8:53 AM
Sep 2018
Nashy said:
Hey i am from anilist and there is possible to rate an anime 8,1 8,2 8,3 and here i can only give it a 1 2 3 4 so is there an option how can i rate it more accurate? because myanimelist looks a lot better.

we people in myanimelist are absolutely gay and we hate decimals. Get your heterosexual ass outta here
Jul 18, 2019 9:14 AM

Oct 2017
Nashy said:

Bigger userbase and community. One could argue the average scores are a better reflection of the anime community as a whole. Usability, appearance, not so many pretentious hipster snobs who use Anilist just because they think MAL is too mainstream.

As for the question of the rating granularity, I think 1-10 is fine. Would I prefer 1-100? ... maybe. But it's not a big deal.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 18, 2019 9:28 AM

May 2018
Decimals? Nah. 90% of MAL users use 5 or less numbers to rate anime

Jul 18, 2019 10:11 AM
Feb 2017
Nashy said:

Better than allowing people to rate shows 0.00 or 0.01.

YossaRedMage said:
As for the question of the rating granularity, I think 1-10 is fine. Would I prefer 1-100? ... maybe. But it's not a big deal.

2 ways of scoring shows would be a cool feature, but definitely not necessary. If it was ever added, I think it would just troll those who are looking at the score though as you'll see people quickly hopping on older shows and either giving them super high scores or giving them a 1, so it doesn't give an actual representation of how the community views the show.
MegaStrideJul 18, 2019 10:16 AM
Jul 18, 2019 10:22 AM

Nov 2017
Decimals only make sense when we average all the votes for a given show. For individual votes we have more than enough with 3 possible values (good, average, bad) or at most 5 (very bad, bad, average, good, very good). Any extra values only add meaningless random noise.
Jul 18, 2019 10:26 AM
Jun 2019
Nashy said:

Both anilist and MAL have cons and pros.

MAL might have a larger database, more users, better forums, way more reviews, a recommandation system, clubs etc. that's the differences i can think about.

AL on the other way has 5 different rating systems for everybody, has more themes (for people complaining about white theme), community and users are more friendly there in my opinion, AL also has the following system and the global chat, which makes it easier between users to communicate.

to each their own, but i suggest you at least to update your list on both sites. you never know when one of them might go down, you don't want to lose your list.

also one more difference about MAL and anilist : anilist has more manhua/manhwa in their database (chinese and korean comics) while because of MAL policy only a few make their way in their database. as an user who reads lot of korean comics i really need to have them in my list, because without them my manga list looks empty
Jul 18, 2019 10:31 AM

May 2019
Sadly no, but I think it would be nice if we had .5's.
Jul 18, 2019 11:22 AM

Dec 2014
MAL is much simple to use. I don't know why you need 100 methods to rate like on Ani. It's stupid. You simply rate anime in your watchlist, you are not making a scientifical study, nor are some professional critic who needs to spread his/her subjective wisdom on the masses. The 1 to 10 is perfectly fine. Each number has a meaning too. For example 5 - average, 6 - fine, 7 - good, 8 - very good, 9 - great, 10 - a masterpiece. Is a simple scoring mechanism that is way more practical than giving, I don't know... 8,7 to an anime. What's 8.7? How do you calculate that? How exactly is different from 8.6? How do you decide that?
Jul 18, 2019 11:36 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
#/10 is enough and simple enough scale.
I don't need #/100000000000000 there is no point. Scoring is subjective. They could get rid of numbers altogether and simply keep their scale on their description form. (but no point.. as 10 numbers and descriptions for them are much cleaner and minimal)

Or well, don't score alltogether and add ur own scaling in tags...
Jul 18, 2019 11:40 AM

Aug 2016
kronopy said:
MWhat's 8.7? How do you calculate that? How exactly is different from 8.6? How do you decide that?

Always wondered how the people who rate on 1-100 (or 1.0-10.0 or percentages) scale will answer those questions.
@Nashy maybe you can enlighten us.

Sometimes I have hard time deciding between 6 or 7. Can't imagine how I should decide between 6.5 and 6.6.
Jul 18, 2019 11:59 AM

Jan 2018
Me and my friend realized we f up when we decided to stop near a gate beside the road on our left as soon as we saw a police roadblock ahead in just like 20 metres away. We were busy admiring the scenery on our right and the fact that tonight is a weekend around here. We got pulled over by 3 motorcycle (cops in disguise) as soon as we try to cross the road to where we come from.

Long story short, 3 minutes later a car did a quick u-turn and so the chase began. All unit were mobilized so since we were still not at the roadblock checkpoint we were able to just escape quickly while cops at the roadblock could only report back to send back at least one superbike cop. We were able to feign ignorance at a traffic light where the superbike cop could only stare as he rode past us as he wasn't so sure if it was us.

This happened 2 hours ago, we were just 3.5 minutes away from signing a ticket. The car which was beside us (prepared to chase us in case we didn't stop) had me in surprised as he shouted multiple time to move my bike quickly as he quickly drifted the car into main road to chase the running car which is usually because of drug possession.

It took me 28 minutes to write this as I was rubbing my cat to melt my anxiousness away and hope they didn't remember my plate number (small number with a small plate for this rare occasion).

Jul 18, 2019 12:09 PM
Jul 2015
RandomFriday said:
kronopy said:
MWhat's 8.7? How do you calculate that? How exactly is different from 8.6? How do you decide that?

Always wondered how the people who rate on 1-100 (or 1.0-10.0 or percentages) scale will answer those questions.

Sometimes I have hard time deciding between 6 or 7. Can't imagine how I should decide between 6.5 and 6.6.

i want the option that i can better compare anime. If i give 10 anime a 8 out of 10 i want to rate it that i can say this anime was better than this. so i give this one a 8.7 and this one a 8.4 or something
Jul 18, 2019 12:18 PM

Dec 2012
Why would you even need decimal places at all to rate in the first place? I don't get it.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 18, 2019 12:26 PM

May 2009
Personally I find even MyAnimeList's whole numbers too be too much granularity; my rating system is essentially a five-point system.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 18, 2019 12:32 PM
Jul 2015
Kruszer said:
Why would you even need decimal places at all to rate in the first place? I don't get it.

because i watched 150 animes and 10 numbers are just bad to rank for me. because i want every anime rate eventually. so i can give a 10 then a 9.8 and not 5 animes a 10
Jul 18, 2019 12:40 PM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
I mean even simpler option would as well work.
"Bad"
"Average"
"Good"
"(Favorite)"

But yeah.. number system is more useful as it's easier to make statistics.. especially for "top" lists. And others..
Jul 18, 2019 12:47 PM

Dec 2012
Nashy said:
Kruszer said:

because i watched 150 animes and 10 numbers are just bad to rank for me. because i want every anime rate eventually. so i can give a 10 then a 9.8 and not 5 animes a 10

I've watched over 2,000 and I don't see any issues with the system. Not judging, but it just sounds a touch OCD to have decimals.
KruszerJul 18, 2019 12:53 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 18, 2019 12:48 PM

Oct 2010
Are you a spy? We like mal rating system. Better than aniwho.
Jul 18, 2019 2:26 PM

Dec 2014
Nashy said:
RandomFriday said:

i want the option that i can better compare anime. If i give 10 anime a 8 out of 10 i want to rate it that i can say this anime was better than this. so i give this one a 8.7 and this one a 8.4 or something

You have the option to put a comment in the tag on each anime in your list if you are so obsessed with details. Or make your own list in Word or Excel and make a top. For the rest of us, there is no point for an overly complicated rating system. We usually see anime as categories, not as individual pieces, because let's be real, you won't remember what 90% of the anime you watched were about in 3-5 years, so it really doesn't matter. Having categories for shitty, good, great and masterpieces, is simple and practical. Is not that hard to make a system where you rate what you would consider good anime on a scale from 6 to 8 for example, give a 9 for those who were great but not good enough to be considered masterpieces, and give 10 for those select few. The score on MAL is not like the one on Amazon where the ratings sell something. Is something simple that help us chose what we watch and something that remains in our list, once we totally forget about those anime we watched... Decimals would overcomplicate everything.
Jul 18, 2019 3:16 PM

Oct 2012
kronopy said:
Is something simple that help us chose what we watch and something that remains in our list, once we totally forget about those anime we watched... Decimals would overcomplicate everything.
Maybe it's different in a site with millions of users, but all they have to do is change the database number type to a float with some limited decimals, and bin the numbers for visualization purposes. People like you won't notice a difference and can still use your 1-5 scale. People who want to be able to mark the difference between 2 anime if they've watched more than 10 shows would be able to.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 18, 2019 5:05 PM

Oct 2014
Give people 10 points and they'll stick to 5. Give them 20 and their scale won't be much different. People here are just too shitty at rating anime to trust them with half points.
Jul 18, 2019 5:18 PM

Sep 2014
lol 10 are already more than enough!
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

21 by Super-Sugoi »»
16 seconds ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

65 by Sorachin »»
12 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

32 by Soverign »»
12 minutes ago

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

40 by redorzo »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.