Forum Settings
Forums

Disney heiress ‘livid’ after going to one of her family’s theme parks undercover

New
Jul 16, 2019 7:35 PM

Nov 2008
Happiest place on Earth my ass, more like the most terrible place on Earth you got Iger getting nearly 70 million dollars a years while 10% of employees are homeless and eating out of trash bins, and people wonder why they always sense something shady from Disney (if their destruction of public domain and virtue signaling wasn't bad enough).

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/disney-heiress-livid-after-going-to-one-of-her-familys-theme-parks-undercover-2019-07-15

That $15 an hour isn't doing any good either, the cost of living is too high in every area Disney Theme Parks are located, this is a special case where the employees should be paid more like $30 an hour, they make far too much money and far too much power an prestige that that have no excuse not to do so. Disney employees have the privilege to work there (it's hard to get hired there), so they need to pay according to their prestige.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jul 17, 2019 1:01 AM

May 2013
Wait, why are they eating out of trashcans? Weird :P

Might as well quit then hahah.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 17, 2019 1:07 AM

Sep 2018
Now lets see if they double the wages, it could be done by simply cutting the CEOs salary. I won't be holding my breath.

There should be a law that the max salary can only be x times the minimum salary in that company.
Jul 17, 2019 1:13 AM

Jan 2009
im just gonna say again thats capitalism at its finest lol (labor exploitation)

social capitalism is the way forward (not right or left #YangGang2020)
Jul 17, 2019 3:05 AM

Feb 2010
Gan_water said:

Might as well quit then not get another job because when people hire these days they check with previous companies you work with and they screw you over.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 17, 2019 3:10 AM

Jan 2009
hazarddex said:
Gan_water said:

Might as well quit then not get another job because when people hire these days they check with previous companies you work with and they screw you over.

in here if an employer see your employment history does not have long years of services on most of your previous jobs then you will likely not get hired, they think you are like a bad employee if you did not become a regular employee on your previous jobs
Jul 17, 2019 6:07 AM

Jan 2019
No sympathy for people who insist they can't live on minimum wage. Don't live in huge expensive cities if you can't afford to. When I left my parent's I moved to a small town with low cost of living so that I was able to live comfortably even on a McSalary vs living paycheck to paycheck in a larger city.

Big cities have alot of status and alot of things to do, but if you can't afford to be there you should really move.
Jul 17, 2019 11:28 AM

May 2013
hazarddex said:
Gan_water said:

Could probably just work for some other theme park like Six Flags or something.

Getting hired is all about you. If you make a good impression they will take you on.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Jul 17, 2019 11:53 AM

Mar 2011
DiscoDespot said:
No sympathy for people who insist they can't live on minimum wage. Don't live in huge expensive cities if you can't afford to. When I left my parent's I moved to a small town with low cost of living so that I was able to live comfortably even on a McSalary vs living paycheck to paycheck in a larger city.

Big cities have alot of status and alot of things to do, but if you can't afford to be there you should really move.
Anaheim isn't considered a major city in California. not atleast compared to Los Angeles. also, consider the fact the largest employer in the city (Disney Park) raises the cost of living by its upper-employees (con.,anim.,prod.,) with their higher than minimum incomes should help explain (I think someone mentioned ca housing costs here) some of the problems a bit more. I mean moving would require major costs such as current rent then two months rent in advance for the new place, not including transportation costs.

Gan_water said:
hazarddex said:

Getting hired is all about you. If you make a good impression they will take you on.
It sucks the restaurants nearby are owned by the park as well, makes a large business section of minimum wage work unavailable to those people who need to work them and live in or neighboring to the city. And Six Flags does not pay the same and relies on seasonal teens for work over longterm employees lol

Maenads said:
Income inequality in the states is pretty crazy, but you're not meant to live off minimum wage. Also, free college money and 15/hr is more than a lot of people get, and you can't tell me that living in one of the countries most expensive places isn't a choice.
Only 40% of employees, not listed from which occupation in the company so can very well be park supervisors, partake in that program. Not exactly high numbers, but get your meaning.
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Jul 17, 2019 2:14 PM

Feb 2010
Gan_water said:
hazarddex said:

that depends on the contract some corporations have legal contracts preventing you from getting another job with a rival corporation.
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jul 17, 2019 2:49 PM

May 2013
hazarddex said:
Gan_water said:

that depends on the contract some corporations have legal contracts preventing you from getting another job with a rival corporation.

Yeah but you know what? That's the kind of shit that you can often get around. Not all jobs check so thoroughly, and not all applicants get thoroughly checked.

But yeah, sounds like Disney is for 'lifers.' Hahah.
I CELEBRATE myself,
Jul 17, 2019 3:52 PM

Mar 2012
DiscoDespot said:

I have no sympathy for businesses who insist they can't pay a living wage. Don't run a business if you can't afford to do so ethically. When I opened an ethical business with higher costs and higher prices, consumers were happy to pay the difference.

Running a business comes with a lot of status, but if you can't afford to run your business ethically you should really just shut down.

So there's that perspective...

I actually do have some sympathy for some businesses that insist they can't pay a living wage. They run the real risk of being outcompeted by their less-ethical counterparts. However, I have more sympathy for workers who are putting in an honest day's work and just trying to get by. Imo, it comes down to collectively asking ourselves what kind of world we want to live in and then doing what's needed to get there. Personally, I don't want to live in a world where the working poor are expected to constantly move from place to place in an attempt (probably futile) to find somewhere they can afford to live. I think we can do better than that (and that's completely ignoring the fact that moving is both directly and indirectly expensive, indirectly because it generally requires giving up established support mechanisms such as family and friends).
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 17, 2019 4:09 PM

Nov 2008
Gan_water said:

The cost of living is too high for many Disney employees to even eat at a McDonalds. You know you are in dire straits when you can't even afford fast food.

Jul 17, 2019 4:49 PM

Jan 2009
capitalists like the megacorp that is Disney knows they can get away with this kind of cheap wages since there is an oversupply of workers in the job market with how overpopulated the world is (supply and demand stuff also apply to the value of wages and not just the value of prices)
Jul 17, 2019 11:41 PM

May 2013
Hoppy said:
Gan_water said:

The cost of living is too high for many Disney employees to even eat at a McDonalds. You know you are in dire straits when you can't even afford fast food.

I'm sorry that makes no sense. They make 15 an hour? Thats not bad cash.

Homeless people don't often have employment. That's why they stand around begging for change to get something to eat or drink.

And you're telling me they don't have cheap apartments in Orlando? I mean damn bro this aint The Rundown lol.

xMizu_Jul 18, 2019 1:10 AM
I CELEBRATE myself,
Jul 17, 2019 11:43 PM

Jul 2019
Disney needs to increase their wages pronto. I was saying all the time that minimum wage should be higher.

Never explain,
Never retract,
Never apologize
Just get the thing done
And let them howl
Jul 18, 2019 12:40 AM

Jun 2019
If they don't like it there they can find another job, and maybe move to a cheaper area. Why live in the most expensive place when you don't have to.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.