Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 15, 2019 3:48 PM

Nov 2017
For the past like 6 months Ive slowly started to watch less and less anime. from a time where I was able to watch 8 episodes in a day, sometimes I struggle to watch even 8 episodes in a week.

Im always looking for a new great series to binge but most of the time I end up just watching episode to episode every other day e.g. Cowboy bebop. I thought that was a masterpiece but it took me a month to complete 26 episodes etc.

But seemingly the animes I "hate" or think are bad I seem to watch them so fast e.g. Im currently watching Deadman Wonderland and not to long ago I watch Classroom of the elite. in my opinion I find these animes awful but I seem to be watching them at a much more alarming rate than an anime I enjoy......

is anyone else like this?

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 15, 2019 4:11 PM
Aug 2016
Because you can skip half of it without messing anything.
Jul 15, 2019 4:11 PM

Jul 2017
With bad as in trainwreck, yea I find myself the same. Bad as in boring, not so much

I think it's the case of being curious to see how far down the show is gonna reach by the end. Like Cross Ange I found myself binging the entire thing in only a couple of days despite completely hating the 2nd half
Jul 15, 2019 4:14 PM

Oct 2016
Back when I first started seriously watching anime, I would take forever to finish the ones I ended up loving. I mean a LONG time. Nowadays, it'll only take me about 10 days to finish an anime I consider an 8. To be fair, I usually have 20 or so anime on my "watching" and recently I've been getting more and more into manga. You seem to be in the same boat as far as anime goes. It's reasonable to take your time with anime you like. Everyone watches different amounts of shows at different paces.
As for being able to binge bad anime, I can't say I sympathize with you there. The reason I don't have a lot of 5- anime is because usually I'll know after 3 episodes whether I want it on my list or not. I guess everyone is different when it comes to this sort of thing, but I definitely don't feel the same way about bad anime as you do.
Are there any anime you have watched that you both loved and watched in a short amount of time? Me and you have high anime affinity, so if you give me some examples I might be able to suggest you something.

Jul 15, 2019 4:16 PM

Oct 2015
Lol? I can't even finish 1 more episode of garbage
Jul 15, 2019 4:21 PM

May 2015
That's because bad anime lack much substance in terms of how much you need to focus on and how satisfied you feel by the end of each episode. If nothing impressive happens in an episode you might feel the need to watch another episode for a satisfying payoff. This happens a lot with long running shonenes too but that's mostly because of the slow pacing.
Jul 15, 2019 4:22 PM

Mar 2016
Well, they are for casuals, so it's not tiring to watch them. For example, I gave my friend a different type of isekai, the critically acclaimed one, 12 kingdoms, or the In Another World With My Smartphone, and he chose the latter binging it and asking for another season.
Jul 15, 2019 4:22 PM
Jul 2018
Not most of the time, Key is taking me forever to finish(btw the episode time is messed up, the episodes are 25 minutes on average) and I keep procrastinating on watching it. It's a similar case for all my 4/10s and below. The only way I can get through them is by analyzing those shows while I watch them. That said, Diabolik Lovers is an expectation since its only half of an episode-long and anger is better than plain boredom entertainment-wise.
Jul 15, 2019 4:23 PM
May 2016
Maybe that anime have some interesting things going on. Cowboy Bebop can be hard to watch bacause of episodic format but in the end it's a very good anime.
<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/qgoaaPMTeO448" width="480" height="271" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="http://giphy.com/gifs/summer-qgoaaPMTeO448">via GIPHY</a></p>
Jul 15, 2019 4:25 PM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
Not most of the time, Key is taking me forever to finish(btw the episode time is messed up, the episodes are 25 minutes on average) and I keep procrastinating on watching it. It's a similar case for all my 4/10s and below. The only way I can get through them is by analyzing those shows while I watch them. That said, Diabolik Lovers is an expectation since its only half of an episode-long and anger is better than boredom entertainment-wise.

Diabolik Lovers is pretty damn bad, but anger isn't necessarily the emotion i'd say it invokes.

What is Key?

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 4:30 PM
Jul 2018
*Found the ignore list in settings*

*types in Johan*

Jul 15, 2019 4:32 PM
May 2017
bad anime aren't easy to binge, enjoyable anime is easy to binge
Jul 15, 2019 4:35 PM

May 2010
Peaceful_Critic said:
*Found the ignore list in settings*

*types in Johan*

That's okay cause you'll never get rid of me :*

I'll still gladly tag you whenever I please :)

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 4:36 PM

Jan 2018
If the author's aim is to get me to feel good, then it's all worth it to enjoy watching.
Jul 15, 2019 4:50 PM

May 2019
I'm usually the opposite. I find bad animes so easy to drop or I take forever to finish them.
Jul 15, 2019 5:04 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Not really. I don't even understand how that makes sense. For me, it's always easier to binge something that I really like.
Jul 15, 2019 5:19 PM

Jan 2018
Ya, it's the same way with me. I seemingly can binge more stuff that is straight up bad, but I have a harder time binging shows I actually really like.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jul 15, 2019 5:39 PM
Oct 2016
i think he's saying that is easier to watch common anime than complex one, like its easier to binge the new isekai (if you're not going to drop it, even if you think its shitty) than binge watch Shinsekai Yori for example.

if you're saying that, yeah i think the same.

but just because those kinds of animes doesnt need the amount of concentration that the other ones need
Jul 15, 2019 5:39 PM

Sep 2014
I don't think they are, no. Quite the opposite.
Jul 15, 2019 5:43 PM

Dec 2018
Depends. something incredibly repetitive and boring that sucks, like Food Wars or Shinsekai Yori, is INCREDIBLY difficult to get through. It's easy to get through stuff like SAO or Kings Game because they are unintentionally funny at times and they are fun to hate.
Jul 15, 2019 5:44 PM

Dec 2018
WSZ17 said:
i think he's saying that is easier to watch common anime than complex one, like its easier to binge the new isekai (if you're not going to drop it, even if you think its shitty) than binge watch Shinsekai Yori for example.

if you're saying that, yeah i think the same.

but just because those kinds of animes doesnt need the amount of concentration that the other ones need

Shinsekai Yori ain't 'complex ' in any sense tho homie
Jul 15, 2019 5:59 PM
Jul 2018
Just because something is bad doesn't make it automatically unenjoyable, you can still have fun watching something while being mindful of its shortcomings. I watched and rewatched some episodes of Mahou Shoujo Site despite being a series that relies too much of shock value and over exaggerated characterizations, because the anime managed to remain entertaining even its silliness and it was easy to follow.
Honestly within the spectrum of bad anime i would rather watch one like mahou shoujo site more so than painfully boring or a bluntly infuriating one. However thats the problem, it is also hard to find a serie that doesnt follow in either of the 2 last categories, so you most like will end up just picking something else that you consider to be actually good to spend your time watching.
Jul 15, 2019 6:08 PM

May 2015
I'm kind of like this. If a show is bad then I'll stop watching, but if its not too great (but not so awful that I wanna drop it), then I might watch it really fast so I can get it over and done with and watch something else. If a show is really good then I'm gonna wanna savour it as much as I can, so I might watch it sparingly. I'd say I don't do this that often though, but there's definitely been times where I have.

♡ artist
サコ
Jul 15, 2019 6:57 PM

Dec 2012
If I'm still watching it that means it's good, actually. Bad stuff gets dropped.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 15, 2019 6:59 PM

May 2018
I just drop when I found an anime is bad.
Jul 15, 2019 7:49 PM

Feb 2018
If I were to truly consider consider an anime a masterpiece, then I probably wouldn't have any trouble binging it. That's why mushishi and natsume, although I might consider standalone episodes "masterpieces", wouldn't receive a higher score than 8 overall.

On the other hand, "exciting" is not synonymous with "not bad". Although I do tend to find bad anime harder to watch, it mostly depends on the free time I have.

If you're reading this,

You must be really bored.
Jul 16, 2019 12:08 AM

Mar 2015
To quote another thread, I'd rather have an entertaining shitshow than a boring masterpiece.
Jul 16, 2019 12:22 AM

Nov 2011
I can relate to that.. But I think it is more about "mediocre" than "bad", because it is " bad" then watching it itself is a torture.. Yes maybe the story is "bad" but other aspects like visual or music are "above average", so in overall it is a " mediocre" ...

I agree with some reasons mentioned in above replies like we hope for more satisfaction from them because one episode at one time is not enough.. I want to add another reason, that is because in good anime sometimes you don't want to hurrying finishing it, because you want to leave something for tomorrow.. This is not really work if such anime has cliffhanger at the end of episode, but work really well in episodic anime in particular ...
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 16, 2019 1:51 AM
Dec 2017
That's probably because it's either so bad that you want to just finish it already (for the sake of completing it) or it's bad yet still enjoyable to watch. In some cases, anime that's considered good can be boring. The opposite is also true; bad anime can be very entertaining.

Honestly though, I don't binge a lot. If I do, it's because I enjoy the show...not the other way around. Pupa is the only exception. It was bad and I just wanted to finish it. (I also wanted to see if it was bad as people said.) There's also Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody. It was decent but also a good example of an anime that's bad because it's boring to watch.

Jul 16, 2019 3:24 AM

Sep 2017
Really? I can't even bare the first episode for most of the bad show. If it's something I can happily binge, I'll consider it good entertainment and at least give it a 6 or a 7.

It's hard to have real depth and be original, but it's also pretty hard to just be entertaining, at least for me. Shows that most people find entertaining aren't usually entertaining to me, either because I've seen too many shows or I'm just too resistant to cliche. So if I find a show genuinely entertaining, I would be pretty excited, and I won't call it "bad" just because you look less intellectual to enjoy it. I mean, people thought Chaplin and Billy Wilder to be mindless entertainment too, until film scholars went out to analyse how great their directions are. No one paid much critical attention to Hitchcock until the French started to praise him. A lot of entertaining shows are dismissed as "bad" simply because there isn't a huge scholarship on anime whereas amateur fans simply want to appear to have a good taste by showing people they love things that appear to be of good taste.

But in any case, I think Classroom of the Elite is pretty trash and I totally couldn't binge on it.
Jul 16, 2019 4:39 AM

Jun 2019
Because I fall a sleep while watching them it's the best thing ever like when I was bingeing monster lol.
Jul 16, 2019 6:30 AM

Oct 2014
Bad anime tend to have less going on in them so it's pretty easy to get through them as opposed to good anime that require more of your attention.
Jul 16, 2019 6:39 AM

Jun 2019
zombie_pegasus said:
Bad anime tend to have less going on in them so it's pretty easy to get through them as opposed to good anime that require more of your attention.

This, in combination with the fact that when something is bad, you care less, so that's another reason you pay less attention.

Jul 16, 2019 8:15 AM

May 2009
I don't find anime series that people regard as "bad" to be particularly easier to binge.

Then again, I also don't really like binge-watching in general, and also don't usually agree with calling those series "bad" in the first place, so...
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 16, 2019 8:19 AM
Jul 2018
Whether the anime is good or bad, I usually watch the the same amount of Episodes either way, but I'd probably be able to binge watch an anime I'm interested in and enjoy as opposed to something that is making my eyes and ears bleed. I usually watch a said quota of episodes whenever I do get around to watching anime. Whether that said amount is 3 or 6 or more, I will make sure that number of episodes is completed by the end of the night.
Jul 16, 2019 8:22 AM

Dec 2018
Because you don't have to care, it's a thoughtless experience that you're not afraid of if you were to miss anything and thus creates its own ilk of charm. Personally I can't watch heavy-theme shows all the time, I always need one of those indisputably abysmal show to binge watch for refreshment and entertainment as well.
. . .
Jul 16, 2019 8:25 AM

Oct 2013
Because you don't have to pay atention.
Jul 16, 2019 9:07 AM
Jun 2019
[quote=Minerrr]For the past like 6 months Ive slowly started to watch less and less anime. from a time where I was able to watch 8 episodes in a day, sometimes I struggle to watch even 8 episodes in a week.

Im always looking for a new great series to binge but most of the time I end up just watching episode to episode every other day e.g. Cowboy bebop. I thought that was a masterpiece but it took me a month to complete 26 episodes etc.

But seemingly the animes I "hate" or think are bad I seem to watch them so fast e.g. Im currently watching Deadman Wonderland and not to long ago I watch Classroom of the elite. in my opinion I find these animes awful but I seem to be watching them at a much more alarming rate than an anime I enjoy......

is anyone else like this? [/quote
Jul 16, 2019 3:33 PM
Jul 2018
Bad and hd is even worse because those visual details are more tiresome to endure.
Jul 16, 2019 3:45 PM

Jun 2019
@Minerrr I watched a video on youtube by Gigguk who mentioned this behaviour of watching some anime that may be considered by some as 'bad' or 'poor' anime. I think he described it well when he said that watching some anime is like eating popcorn, it's easy to consume, doesn't take a whole lot of deep engagement in the storyline and can be addictive/more-ish.

As long as you enjoy the time you spend watching an anime, then it doesn't matter whatever anyone else labels it.
Jul 16, 2019 3:52 PM

Jun 2019
Preachee said:
Because you don't have to care, it's a thoughtless experience that you're not afraid of if you were to miss anything and thus creates its own ilk of charm. Personally I can't watch heavy-theme shows all the time, I always need one of those indisputably abysmal show to binge watch for refreshment and entertainment as well.

Completely agree. After a heavily engaging show (Attack On Titan, or a battle shouen like Boku No Hero) I love nothing more than picking something whimsical and easy to watch as a refresher (eg Haganai, B-gata H-kei - Yamada's First Time, most ecchi Isekai..).
Jul 16, 2019 3:55 PM
Jul 2018
This is something I've probably avoided thinking about. But yeah, I think the case applies to me too. For example, in one night, I binge watched Diabolic Lovers. I think it's because with bad series like these, we have a stronger sense of curiosity as to what's going to happen.
Jul 16, 2019 5:45 PM

Feb 2010
Maybe because you don't care about them and therefore they are easy to watch while multitasking or distracting yourself otherwise? I know that's why I often go through more mediocre shows faster than I go through good shows, cause I want to be done with them and don't care if I miss a few things when multitasking, while with good shows I don't feel rushed cause they are great whenever I watch them, at whatever pace I watch them.

Or possibly your ideas of what is good and bad are just twisted and you should actually be seeing those shows as good based on your viewing experience and enjoyment.

Or you don't judge shows in nuanced and fair ways but more based on broad judgments and therefore miss the details that define your opinion and enjoyment of a show. There can be some elements in a show that you find bad, but they are simply not related to the reasons why you like the show and why it is easy to watch and don't impact your viewing experience, only your intellectual judgment of the show. Your brain knows what's wrong with the show, but your heart simply doesn't care, so to speak.

For me, I very rarely care about the plot that much, if there are compelling characters I'll find it interesting and enjoyable to follow them whatever they do, be it a battle shounen plot, romance or slice of life. So minor plotholes or plot conveniences that make other people drop shows I don't care about at all, they have almost zero impact on my enjoyment and appreciation of a show. For example, many people dislike Bebop for being mostly episodic and not too plot oriented. It bores them because they are looking for story and there is not much of that. But I look for characters, and every episode of the show is relevant for characterization, character development, character interactions and relationships.

The show pours most of its energies in those processes, making it one of the best shows for anyone that cares about characters (or style, animation, thematic execution, directing or OST for that matter, but that is beside the point here :>). Characters are my entry point into almost any show, and if that is done well there has to be a LOT going wrong in the plot department for me to be bothered by it. Bebop did more than enough to satisfy my anemic need for plot/story. And knowing that, I can explain a lot of the cases where I find a show easy to watch and enjoy while also finding a lot to be wrong with its writing.

Maybe you are similar and that's why you can enjoy shows with arguable bad stories, because you dig the characters enough? Or whatever other aspect. Maybe you care about good action scenes or a nice soundtrack or cute designs or whatever you might care about more than you're aware and focus your overall judgment of a show too much on how well written you think the plot is?

In general preferences and biases are more relevant factors for making shows easy to watch or binge and more enjoyable, rather than quality which is something that really only starts to matter once something is appealing to your biases and preferences in some way. If you don't care about something, it doesn't matter how good it is (or how bad for that matter), it probably won't make it into your final opinion of the show unless you specifically try to be a critic and force yourself to ignore those biases.

So when I see people confused why they enjoy bad shows, it kinda makes me think those people are not aware of their own biases yet, that they don't understand how their own taste works, what parts of a show they care about. They are confused about the result of their opinion/enjoyment because they don't understand the underlying processes that got them there. They treat any element in a show as equally relevant as if there was no such thing as bias pre-shaping your viewing experience. Once you 'weigh' your opinion of certain elements and their quality it is much easier to explain why you like bad shows or find shows easy to watch despite criticizing them a lot.

Just try and form your opinions not about shows as a whole for a while, but on their individual elements so you can figure out what you like on a more abstract level instead of just judging shows on a case-by-case basis. Do you find everything about Classroom of the elite or Deadman Wonderland bad? What are the main reasons you deem them bad? Was there anything that you enjoyed about them? Maybe the MC, or the concept, or the setting, or the designs, or the animation?

Not only does it solve this current conundrum, it also it helpful when picking up shows in the future and just in general to improve your viewing experience. I'm always surprised at how many people pick what to watch without understanding their own taste. I do not recommend that.

If you don't just mean shows you see as bad but still find enjoyable (which to me is synonymous with being easy to watch in many ways, so I'm assuming that's what you meant) then you're just weird. I can't imagine anything I 'don't enjoy' to be easy to watch. That feels like a contradiction in and of itself. Unless you're one of those toxic people that get a kick out of watching and trashing terrible shows, where the process of shittalking something gets them more enjoyment than watching something ever could. But if that's the case I guess you can ignore most of this post.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 16, 2019 5:50 PM

Nov 2016
Thats because a lot of trashy shows are as long as 1/2 a Normal Anime having 12-15 minutes per episode instead of 22-25 minutes.

Also, a lot of times a Trainwreck show can be entertaining in its own sort of way. You know its bad but you just can't look away from it for some reason. Most of the time becasue you want to see how they will fuck it up next.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2019 6:07 PM

Oct 2014
Pullman said:
So when I see people confused why they enjoy bad shows, it kinda makes me think those people are not aware of their own biases yet, that they don't understand how their own taste works, what parts of a show they care about. They are confused about the result of their opinion/enjoyment because they don't understand the underlying processes that got them there. They treat any element in a show as equally relevant as if there was no such thing as bias pre-shaping your viewing experience. Once you 'weigh' your opinion of certain elements and their quality it is much easier to explain why you like bad shows or find shows easy to watch despite criticizing them a lot.

Just try and form your opinions not about shows as a whole for a while, but on their individual elements so you can figure out what you like on a more abstract level instead of just judging shows on a case-by-case basis. Do you find everything about Classroom of the elite or Deadman Wonderland bad? What are the main reasons you deem them bad? Was there anything that you enjoyed about them? Maybe the MC, or the concept, or the setting, or the designs, or the animation?

Not only does it solve this current conundrum, it also it helpful when picking up shows in the future and just in general to improve your viewing experience. I'm always surprised at how many people pick what to watch without understanding their own taste. I do not recommend that.
I would assume this be the case for most people because humans are far more greatly impacted by the negative things than positive, especially for memory retention. That naturally we're a sort of numb to the thought of why something is good and choose to only experience it as opposed to why something is bad and figuring it out to avoid it. I think it's quite normal to appeal to others for explaining why something is bad because people generally don't know, but don't care for why something is good if they're already convinced by their own good experience.

On some level it seems my post is going completely against the idea of bad anime being easy to watch, but it's not.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 16, 2019 6:24 PM
Mar 2016
I can't think of an answer except that anime is good, in a way. They have general preferences that I enjoy, so I finish the anime even if aspects like the plot are terrible. I'd admit that even terrible writing can lead me on and make me want a conclusion, leading me to bingewatch it.
Jul 16, 2019 11:41 PM

Dec 2018
23feanor said:
Preachee said:

Completely agree. After a heavily engaging show (Attack On Titan, or a battle shouen like Boku No Hero) I love nothing more than picking something whimsical and easy to watch as a refresher (eg Haganai, B-gata H-kei - Yamada's First Time, most ecchi Isekai..).

Yeah, after watching something that forces me to think, I tend to pick up some stupid shows to make myself comfortable. But if a show that is bad in a way that distastefully afflicts me with its desperate attempt of making it good/thoughtful/emotional (sorry if it may offend you, but like Guilty Crown or Madoka Magica movie 3), then I'd definitely drop. Tbh, I enjoy trash like them pathetically low-quality ecchi shows, or those 90s dubs that gave zero fucs and even the cult classic Mars of Destruction so much more.
. . .
Jul 17, 2019 3:03 AM

Jul 2011
I actually find it extremely hard to binge something that's bad. I either put it on-hold or drop it alltogether.

Jul 17, 2019 3:06 AM

Jan 2009
err is this a thing? i mean if im not enjoying the show it feels a very long watch lol like a 24 minutes episode feels like an eternity lol
Jul 17, 2019 3:06 AM

Dec 2015
My self is watching JoJo and it feels like each eps goes on for years.
So I can't agree with you.

When a anime is trash, for me it feels like it never ends vs a show I think is good ends before I start it.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - 2 hours ago

16 by PostMahouShoujo »»
41 seconds ago

» How you feel about non-Japanese entertainment/media using Anime art style?

Dragevard - Yesterday

32 by Catalano »»
2 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 49 minutes ago

7 by Luchipher-Zen »»
4 minutes ago

» Lost anime Saki Sanobashi

neonmist - Nov 22, 2019

44 by Konan_Edogawa_ »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

162 by the_foundation »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.